Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Evanescence Of Fantasies ❯ The Escape ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
THE ESCAPE
"Ya know...I hear that a lot lately and it still seems to shock me every time." Riku replied; running a hand through his silver locks, "You never told me how we knew eachother in the first place."
Lenne blinked a couple of times before turning to gaze at her shackles. "Doesn't matter..."
Riku followed her gaze; stepping forward he began to tug at them, "They're pretty tight and I don't have anything to get them off..."
"I think I can." She replied, but something in her voice told him she didn't want to.
"You going to do it or not?" He asked as she didn't move.
"No..."
He raised an eyebrow at her answer. "And...why not?"
She tilted her head to the side. "Can I ask you a question?"
That was unexpected. The girl was shackled and she wanted to ask questions? "Um...ok..."
"What did you think when you first saw me back when Ansem possessed you? Did you...remember anything? Anything at all?"
Riku thought a moment. That was a tricky question. Should he tell the girl the truth or just lie to make things less awkward between them. He felt a lot of things; emotions he thought he could only feel for Kairi but once he laid eyes on the tall brunette he couldn't look away.
"I...felt..." He glanced around the darkness warily, "Look, I don't think we're safe here. I think I should find something to break those chains because who knows what can be in this place. Plus King Mickey told me to..."
"I understand." She interrupted, nodding as she glanced around the ground. "There!" She jutted her chin in the direction of a sharp rock.
Riku turned to spot the rock; picking it up as she held out her arms the best she could. "If I accidentally stab you then I'm really sorry."
She snorted, "That's reassuring, guardian." He glanced at her to see a small teasing smirk on her face. How she managed to smirk after all she's probably went through was a mystery to her but he didn't mind. She could smirk, grin, and smile all she wanted. It made her look even more attractive.
He began banging the sharp edge of the rock against the chains of the shackles. To both their surprises, it was actually working. Finally the dented chains gave in and released her wrists.
"Freedom." She whispered softly; closing and opening her hands to relieve her sore muscles.
Something caught Riku's eyes as he watched her do her hand exercise. He quickly grabbed her hand to gaze at her palm; a small gasp escaping Lenne's lips. After a second of awkward silence; he glanced at her.
"You're hurt."
"Oh." Lenne sighed. She pulled her hand away to get a better view of the cut Samara gave her. "It's nothing...I had worse." She held up her hand for him to see; smiling, "See? It's just dried blood now...the wound will heal. At least Samara was nice enough to heal the lashes on my back for me...I mean, herself."
"Lashes?"
"Got whipped for defying the Princess."
Riku's expression turned to one of anger as Lenne rose from the ground. She didn't seem to notice as she looked around the place. "This is Kingdom Hearts? If Kingdom Hearts is light then why is there so much darkness and heartless?" She asked as she walked to get a better view on the depths below them. Creepy...
A grip on her forearm stopped her from wondering further as she turned to face a very confused Riku.
"Something wrong?"
"How can you let someone do that to you? Torture you?" He asked; his voice was full of anger. He would never allow that to happen to him. If he hated anything most; it would be the abuse of others. No one deserved to be punished like that. Especially her.
"You think I asked her to beat me senseless?" Lenne asked back, "Every time I tried to help you or get to you she'd..." Lenne stopped, realizing what she just said. He didn't need to hear her stories. She was positive he felt horrible enough after what he put his best friends through. The last thing he needed to hear was that he was the reason for some of her beatings. "How do we get out of this place anyways? I think it's best we left now."
Riku didn't respond as he released her arm; allowing his arm to fall numbly at his side. "You tried to help me get away from the darkness didn't you? You knew what they were doing to me...you knew Maleficent was going to use me as a temporary substitute body for Ansem."
"I..." She allowed her head to fall in shame, "I'm sorry I failed to help you."
Nice going, Riku. He cursed himself for making her feel guilty for what he did on his own. "Don't apologize." He shrugged, "The way I see it...I'm the screw up here. Forgot you...twice. Almost allowed Kairi to stay lifeless as I fought my best friend...allowed Maleficent to turn me to the dark side." He glanced at her, "You sure I'm the right guy to be your guardian?"
She smirked once more, "The book never lies...plus...I think it's time we talked about what's really going on."
---
Leather boots hit the ground as he made his way towards the only source of light in the forest.
"There you are." He smirked. He kneeled down to gaze into the hypnotizing blaze of the purple fire. "How does it feel to be back where you belong, Princess? Having fun with your heartless I suppose?" No response. Then again, he didn't expect one. Chuckling; he pulled out a bottle of water, "That's the problem with you heartless creatures. You guys think so carelessly...no wonder you went psycho and killed your husband and parents..." He quickly fell back as the fire blazed higher and more furiously.
"That's the thing with you women. Heartless or soulless...you still have those emotions." He grinned before taking off the top to his bottle, "Why don't you rest, Princess? I'll handle Lenne for you. As for Riku..." His grin widened, "I got plans for him. You see, I really didn't appreciate you running off with my heartless so I think I'll run off with your sacrifice. She's cute too." The fire began to sizzle out as the water was poured on it; darkness around him stirring in anger. "Bye."
Xehanort gave one last glance at the remaining smoke of what once was the purple fire. "Have fun in hell, love." He turned and made his way through the dark portal, back to Castle Oblivion.
All was silent. The forest and all its inhabitants were still. There was no more purple glow; the only thing lighting the night was the moon and its stars. Then the fire resurrected again; brighter then ever.
So it's a war you want, Xehanort? Bring it. I can handle your precious Nobodies myself.
---
"Deja vu." Lenne sighed as she tried to decide of a good place to begin. She's told him this story so many times yet he's forgotten once again due to memory lost. Maybe she should record herself saying it this time.
"Maybe we should find a nice place to talk." Riku spoke up; sensing her tiredness. "Maybe...another world?"
She glanced at him, "Another world? You have a gummi?"
He shook his head and stared down at his hand. He knew Ansem was still in him and he still had the power to from those dark portals he used to get around to other worlds. But could that be dangerous? Wouldn't it weaken him if he depended so much on dark powers? Maleficent said it would. What does she know? She's dead. He concentrated hard as the portal was formed.
Lenne, who has been watching him the whole time, gasped in shock as she saw him use the dark power. Sure it was just a portal but he still used that power to create it. Her mouth was a thin line as she paled; she quickly looked away as he returned his gaze to her.
"Um...let's go." He said. He saw her body stiffen as he reached out for her. Did I do something wrong? His eyebrows furrowed as he noticed the fear in her features. Odd how he could read a girl he just met so easily. "You ok? What's wrong?"
She shook her head. "Nothing's wrong...just..." She sighed as she turned to fully look at the dark portal, "I hate using the portal...I hate watching someone use the dark powers..."
"Oh." He understood now. She's been in the dark so long she feared it. "Sorry I didn't think..."
"It's ok." She replied; trying to muster up a smile.
"No it's not...and I'm a sucky guardian." He replied.
"If it helps...I don't mind going in it...it's just you have to..."
Riku peered at her as she stopped talking. "Have to what?" He questioned.
She hastily reached out and grabbed his hand. He jumped back out of reflex but relaxed when her hand was tightly around his.
"Hold my hand." She finished smugly.
He nodded; leading her towards the portal. She shut her eyes and held her breath before allowing him to bring her into the darkness.
---
The brightness of lights and loudness of noises caused her to quickly open her eyes to look around the new world she was in. It was crowded as little moogles ran around mumbling things about inventions and kupos.
"Where are we?" She asked; adoring the little creatures as they wiggled by.
Riku smirked; knowing the world would keep them safe for awhile, "Traverse Town."