Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ If This Cat Could Talk... ❯ Eclipse ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

If This Cat Could Talk…
By: Ellipsis the Great
DISCLAIMER: Kingdom Hearts and everything affiliated with it belongs to SquareEnix and Disney. All I own is the plot…
Summary: Axel's therapist suggests that he get a cat to help him get over an accident involving his little brother's best friend. It doesn't take him long to realize that strange things are afoot, however…
Rated: T just in case. May change later on.
Spoilers: None that I know of…
Warnings: Definite yaoi on the horizon, a little angst (obviously), and I suppose I should point out that this is AU…
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
CHAPTER NINE: Eclipse
 
Pops and Riku stared at us as we entered the kitchen, Roxas trailing behind me almost as if he had been a puppy rather than a kitten.
“…Did you have a one-night stand?” Pops finally asked. “In my house?”
I blinked. Roxas blinked. We blinked again, this time in unison.
What? No!” I said, a light blush spreading across my cheeks.
“What's a one-night stand?” Roxas asked, standing on his tiptoes so he could whisper the question into my ear.
“I'll tell you later.” I hissed, vaguely aware that while my brother and father hadn't heard the question, they were still giving us a strange look. “Roxas, this is my brother Riku and my dad, Reno. Pops, Riku, this is Roxas Astera.”
Roxas stepped out from behind me with a suddenly confident smile. “Hi. I'm Sora's cousin.” He said, shoving his hand out towards them as I had told him (he understood the importance of the handshake even if he still didn't quite get why it was important).
“Sora's…cousin?” Riku said, looking down at Roxas' hand for a moment before returning his gaze to the blonde's face.
Roxas, who had been following Riku's eyes, cocked his head to one side curiously. I think he was probably confused by how Riku ignored his hand even though I had stressed the necessity of a handshake. “Yes. It means we're related by blood.”
Riku flushed, eyes narrowing. “I know what it means!”
“Then why did you ask?”
Riku scowled. “What I meant was how can you be Sora's cousin if you've only now shown up? Didn't you care before now that he's been in a coma for ten years?”
“I'm an orphan.” He replied rather tersely. “I've been moved to lots of different foster parents, and even after I turned eighteen I kept moving around, so I just got the news a few months ago.” He looked at me. “Isn't jumping to conclusions considered impolite?”
“Like I would know.” I shrugged. I had never exactly been a polite person.
“Look, yo, if you're family of Sora's that's great.” Pops finally spoke up. “Riku was just surprised, is all.”
“What are you doing here if you're Sora's cousin?” Riku jumped in again. “Shouldn't you be at the hospital or something?”
“I just got in town yesterday.” Roxas explained. “I was looking for a hotel near the hospital when I ran into him,” He jerked a thumb at me. “And asked for directions.”
“I told him any family of Sora's is family of mine, and invited him to stay here.” I jumped in, putting a hand on his shoulder. “He stayed in the hammock.” I had one hanging up in one corner of the room. At first it had been for beanie babies (I'll admit that I collected them when I was younger) but over the years it grew into a guest bed/dirty clothes hamper.
“Where was he this morning?” Riku asked, still suspicious. “The hammock was empty.”
“I think he woke up earlier than I did.” I said, glancing at Roxas. “Dunno where he was.”
“I was relieving myself.” Roxas piped up, smiling uneasily when we looked at him. “In the comfort box.”
“Comfort…box…?” Pops repeated blankly.
“I think that's what he calls the bathroom.” I said, wondering at the odd wording.
Roxas wrinkled his nose. “I don't like baths, so why would I go in a room named for one?”
I laughed. “Fine, fine, the comfort box, then.” I put a hand on his shoulder. “You want to go to the hospital, then? We can meet up with Lux and the rest later.”
He gave me a curious look at the mention of Luxord, who I hadn't talked about as of yet, but nodded just the same. “Yes, I'd like to see Sora.”
“'Kay, let's go.” I said, grabbing my hooded black trench coat off its roost on the back of my chair and offering it to him. “Use this; it's cold outside.”
“You didn't bring a jacket?” Pops asked. “It's January.
He shrugged. “I was at Destiny Islands last, and it's never cold there. I didn't think.”
“Here, let's just go.” I shook the coat, as impatient as always. The emotion was made worse by Riku's ever-suspicious gaze.
He shook his head. “I'll be okay.”
I rolled my eyes, slipping the coat on. “Whatever you say, Roxie.”
He scowled. “I told you not to call me that, Axel.”
I smirked. “I know, Roxie.”
His eyes narrowed a little, but he said nothing as he headed towards the door, shoving his hands in his pockets once he'd opened the big door and pushing the screen one open with his hip.
“See you.” I said as I followed. “I've got my cell phone if you need me.”
“Sure.” Pops said. “Nice to meet you, Roxas!”
“Yeah!” Roxas called back.
We began walking, Roxas with a thoughtful expression on his face and me with a sedate one on mine (which was and wasn't unusual, somehow).
“You said you would tell me what a one-night stand was.” He said suddenly. “It's later now, right?”
I choked on air, gawping at him.
“Is it indecent? Like being naked?” He asked curiously.
I put a hand over my mouth, torn between being amused and mortified.
“Please tell me?”
“It's…God, you ask the most awkward questions.” I said. “D'you know what sex is?”
He thought for a moment. “Oh…isn't that what humans call it when a male mounts a female and impregnates her?” He asked, as innocently as ever.
“…Something like that, yes. With humans, though, it doesn't have to be a male and female. It can be two males or two females, and even if it is a male and female the female isn't necessarily impregnated.”
“But what's the point, then?” He asked. “And why would it be two males or two females? That doesn't make any sense!”
“Humans don't just have sex for procreation. It's a…recreational thing, too.”
“Recreational…you mean they do it for fun?”
I nodded. “Yes. Which is why some think it's okay for people of the same gender to have sex. We call it homosexuality—sexual and romantic attraction to people of the same gender. I happen to be bisexual, which means I'm sexually and romantically attracted to either gender. If you ask me, gender doesn't matter. Attraction is attraction and love is love, y'know? Riku's completely gay—that's another word for homosexual—though. And I'm pretty sure Pops is at least bi.”
“Oh.” He considered for a moment. “So…what's a one-night stand?”
“Well…generally, in human society, people only have sex with one person.”
“Yes, I know humans mate for life.” He said with a nod.
“Right. We call it marriage, by the way. Well, with heterosexual couples at least. Homosexuals aren't allowed to marry, yet, so they're called `life partners.'” I shook my head, reminding myself to stay on topic. “Anyhow…sometimes people don't get married. There are lots of different situations, but with a one-night stand two people—usually drunk, I think, but not always—will have sex. Then, the next morning, they'll part ways and, presumably, never see each other again.”
“…That's all?” He asked. “Cats do that all the time.”
“Well, it's different with animals. They don't have sex for fun, and they also don't have emotional attachments. But humans do. Plus, there are lots of other problems for humans. With a heterosexual couple, a one night stand could lead to pregnancy, and with humans it's much better if the child has both parents for at least most of its life. We can't take care of ourselves as quickly as cats and other animals can, y'know? And with any couple there's the chance of a sexually transmitted disease, which could lead to death or even ruin a person's chances of getting together with someone permanently later on. They're not very well looked upon.”
“Oh.” He said, furrowing his eyebrows in an expression I had come to know as him trying very hard to wrap his mind around human customs that he obviously didn't understand.
“Don't worry about it, Roxie.” I said, ruffling his hair. “It doesn't really matter, yeah?”
“I suppose.” He said slowly. “But…” He paused, nibbling on his bottom lip. He lifted a hand, then gave his thumb a hesitant, forlorn look and dropped it again.
I grinned, grabbing his hand as I had done in the dream. “But what?” I asked when he looked up at me, startled.
“But what about me? Am I a human, or…am I an animal?” He asked. “Will I feel the emotions you were talking about?”
“Hmm.” I frowned. “I…don't know.” I turned my gaze to the sidewalk. “Maybe we can ask the woman in the dream?”
“Okay.” He said, satisfied with this answer, and squeezed my hand softly.
“God, you fags! Keep it in private!” Someone yelled from their car, guffawing as they sped off.
I grimaced, having never completely gotten used to those sorts of names when I was dating a boy (bisexual, remember).
“What's a fag?” Roxas whispered, eyes wide as he pushed himself closer to me.
“It's just a stupid name that stupid people give gays.” I replied. “Not all people accept same-sex relationships. Fucking dumb asses.”
“Why would they think we're in a same-sex relationship?” He asked.
“Because…we're…holding hands.” I said slowly. “That's usually just something that people in relationships do, unless it's, like, two little kids or a parent and their kid or something.”
His hand immediately pulled away from mine. “B-but we're not, right? We're not in any sort of relationship. I…I'm not…I'm not attracted to males.”
I smiled at him, hoping that it didn't look as painful as it felt. “Don't worry about it, Roxie. I know you're not gay, and you know you're not gay. So who cares what other people think, right?” I looked ahead, ignoring the flash of confusion I had seen cross over Roxas' face just before he left my field of vision. “Oh, hey! There's the hospital! C'mon, Roxie!”
I sped up my pace, leaving Roxas behind for a moment before he scrambled to keep up, his short legs taking nearly three steps for every one of mine.
“Axel? Axel, what's wrong?” He asked. “Did I say something wrong?”
“No, no, of course not. I'm just anxious to see Sora.” I said as we entered the hospital.
“Oh! Hello, Axel. You're early again.” Aerith said, smiling sweetly at me. “Who's your friend?”
“I'm not his friend!” Roxas snapped, then shut his mouth quickly, looking surprised by his own outburst. “I-I mean…sorry. I'm Sora's cousin, Roxas Astera.”
“Oh!” She said, her smile widening. “I thought all of his family had already visited years ago. It's just some of his closer family that visits nowadays.
“I'm a foster kid, so I move around a lot.” He said, smiling easily. “I just got the news a few months ago—I've been trying to get everything in order so I can come ever since, and I finally got it all taken care of.”
“That's wonderful!” She said. “Well, Axel knows where his room is, so he can show you the way.”
“Any change?” I asked.
Her face fell. “I'm afraid not, sweetie.”
I nodded, stuffing my hands in my pockets and starting toward the elevator.
“Axel.” Aerith's voice stopped me as I pushed the elevator button. “Axel, you always come, and you always ask me that. You know what my answer will be, but you still ask. And you always look so hurt afterwards…why do you keep asking?”
I smiled at her. “Optimism? Masochism? I dunno, something.” I said with a shrug. “The same reason you smile when you're surrounded by sick and dying people all day, I guess.”
She nodded slowly. “Right.” Then her smile returned. “One day I'll give you a different answer, Axel. Sora will wake up.”
“Yeah, I know.” I said, then decided the elevator was taking too long, all but busting into the stairwell. I didn't wait for Roxas to keep up, though I heard him yelling at me to slow down. In fact, I didn't slow down at all until I reached Sora's room, my chest heaving with exertion as I entered and practically collapsed into one of the chairs next to Sora's bed.
“Shouldn't you be out killing someone or something?”
I looked up to find a pair of angry blue eyes glaring at me.
That would be Kairi Martell—Sora and Riku's other childhood friend, although she hadn't associated with Riku since about a year after the accident. They had, at first, grown closer to try and cope with everything, even banding together against me. But then one day she had walked in on my talking to Sora about why I had taken him driving in the first place.
She had hated Riku, too, after that. The poor kid hadn't understood what was wrong with her for a while, until she finally yelled it at him. I would have thought it impossible, but he began to hate me even more, then.
“Hi, Kairi.” I said, too tired to get up and avoid her like I usually did on the rare occasions that we came to the hospital at the same time.
“Well?” She crossed her arms over her chest. “Leave, would you? I would like to talk to Sora without sitting across from the demon that put him here, if you don't mind.”
“—Do something wrong?” Roxas was asking as he entered the room, breathing hard. “I didn't mean to…” He blinked as he realized we weren't alone. “…Walk in on you and a girl?”
“A friend of yours?” Kairi sneered.
“No.” I snapped so tersely that both of them jumped a little. “He's Sora's cousin, Roxas.”
Her sneer just deepened as she stood and walked towards the door. “Better be careful around the Scáth family, Roxas. Axel here has a penchant for putting folks in hospitals, and his faggot brother might just try to molest you.” She turned her angry, cold blue eyes on me. “Too bad you can't even kill yourself right, huh? You could've done us all a favor.” She pushed past Roxas, slamming the door behind herself.
“…Um?” Roxas' mouth worked open and closed dumbly, an adorably confused expression on his face.
“That's Kairi Martell.” I said softly, bringing my legs up into my chair and wrapping my arms around them. “Between her and Riku, I'd say I'm about the most hated person in Twilight Town.”
“You put out the sun.” He said with an understanding nod.
I looked at him sharply. “How did you know about that?”
He shrugged, turning his gaze on Sora so he wouldn't have to look at me. “I know lots of things, I guess.”
“How?” I asked again.
“I'm…I'm not supposed to tell. I don't think you're supposed to know yet.” He said, still not looking at me.
“Know what?” I demanded. “What the fuck are you talking about?”
“The sun…” He mused, touching Sora's face gently. “I guess that makes me the moon…hiding the sun from view even though it's in plain sight.”
“You aren't making any sense, Roxas.”
“Eclipses aren't supposed to last ten years.” He whispered, more to Sora than me.
Sora took a deep breath, groaning and stirring a little. The beeping of the electrocardiograph that measured his heartbeat sped up. My eyes grew wide.
Roxas' face contorted into a pained grimace, his hand grasping his chest. “That's not fair! I'm finally out of the dark and you want to make me go back again? I'm not ready to go back!” With that, he stood and tore out of the room.
Sora stopped moving with a soft sigh, and the beeping settled back to its normal rhythm.
What.
The.
FUCK?
 
~*~ENDCHAPTERNINE~*~
 
A/N: Before I say anything else, I would like to say that I HATE the word faggot. It's a horrible word, and I've only ever used it once—I was, like, eleven and didn't know what it meant at the time. Unfortunately, there ARE people in this world that use it, and I understand that. I apologize if it offended anyone like it did me; my intention was to keep the story true to life.
And now that that's out of the way…yes. Yes, the ending IS supposed to be confusing. The next chapter is when it all gets explained (in a bit of a roundabout way, admittedly), so just bear with me, okay? I PROMISE it makes sense…mostly. Sort of.
And yes, I know I'm crazy. X3
OH! Also: my picture of confused kitty Roxas is up on my deviantArt account! The account's Poison Tonic LX, so look me up!