Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ In the Whitest Darkness ❯ Reach Out ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay…wellI decided that I'm just going to complete this story. I would hate to keep it going, especially after I thought long and hard. However I do think that you readers finally deserve an ending. This is the LASTchapter.
 
Disclaimer: I don't own any Kingdom Hearts setting or characters. Nor do I own the song
___________________-
In the Whitest Darkness
Chapter 12: Reach Out
____________________-
 
There was a time
When nothing would last
There was a time
I held on to the past
 
I would
Walk on water
Just to be with you
Walk on water
Just to be with you
Split the ocean
Cross the sea
Walk on water
If you believe
 
_______________________-
 
Zexion and Demyx had stayed the night again. But went out early to go…I don't know where. I was told to stay inside till they returned. Normally I would protest to such a demand, but I'm too tired. Not tired in the sense of sleeping, but mentally exhausted.
 
I drag myself out of bed but and change out of my sweat pants and tank top. Now in a pair of jeans and a white tank top I head downstairs.
 
Hissing I hurry to the living room, where carpet adorns the floor, so that the cold wood doesn't chill my bare feet. Just as I slump onto the couch a knock sounds from the door.
 
I groan and trudge over. I run my fingers through my long silver hair and tightened the knot for the black ribbon.
 
Opening the door I realize I can't tell who it is.
 
“Who are you?”
 
“Come on Riku; tell me you haven't forgotten me. It could be that silly ribbon you wear all the time.”
 
“Y-Kairi what do you need?”
 
I don't know why she's here. I haven't talk to her in forever. As far as I'm concerned I didn't even know that she was still friends with me. She must look the same though, probably still wearing those pink clothes too.
 
“Can I come in?”
 
I try to smile and seem polite. “Sure.”
 
I lead her to the couch I had been sitting on. Kairi takes a seat close to me. “Kairi, what do you need?”
 
“I've missed you Riku. I still talk to Sora and Roxas but you're non-existent to me now. Namine told me what happened.”
 
I raise an eyebrow, “I guess that doesn't surprise me. But I ask again, what do you need?”
 
“To know if you're alright. Zexion and Demyx won't let any of us near you. They say that you're healing. But…Axel is probably gone if he isn't back yet.”
 
“Thanks, Kai.” I say sarcastically.
 
“That's not what I meant…I meant, why don't you go look for him?”
 
I slump back into the couch, thinking of how to answer. “Kai, I made a promise to stay broken. I'll wait for him, he said he'd come no matter what.”
 
The weight shifts and she jumps up, glowering over me, angry.
 
“And what if he doesn't? Get up Riku, this isn't like you! Go and look! Why do you sit here all depressed? When you were in the darkness did you just sit back and wait for Sora? No! No, you didn't. So why is this different?”
 
“Look Kai I don't expect you, Namine, Sora, or Roxas to understand what I'm feeling or thinking. For one thing Zexion and Demyx do. They were torn apart from each other. You and Namine weren't. Sora and Roxas weren't. I'm alone and waiting. Axel asked me to wait and that's what I'm going to do, because if I happen to move and get looking I may just miss him in the process.”
 
 
“I-I…Riku I'm sorry…” she whispers to me.
 
“It's okay Kai, its okay.”
 
Kairi walks around the couch, her footsteps disappearing slowly. “Call me if you need anything. We're all here for you, Riku.”
 
With that she's gone. I guess I'm still friends with her after all. Kairi always was very smart. Even if she doesn't understand she'll accept and help either way. A great friend to have…
 
My muscles finally begin to relax and my mind clears. With a smile on my lips I leave, heading to my new destination to wait.
 
Slowly I walk down the beach, the summer sun shining down on me through the clouds. It must be going to rain, but no wind crashes into me threateningly.
 
I kick my tennis shoes off and step into the water. The chill of water hits me first before I relax and it doesn't seem cold any longer.
 
I continue to stride out into the water till it reaches my knees. The water parts around me as I stand listening to the waves sliding up and down the beach.
 
The knot of my ribbon comes undone and it cascades down into the water, disappearing forever.
 
Slightly irritated I turn to the culprit and swing out. His hand catches my wrist and he pulls me toward him.
 
I look up into shining orbs of devotion and I smile.
 
“I kept my promise…I kept my heart broken….till you can fix it.”
 
Leaning up, he leans down and meets me halfway in a small kiss. I run my hand through his red spikes.
 
“I've missed you Axel, what took you so long?”
 
Axel flashes his trademark smirk at me. “Sorry love, I got held up. The family if you know what I mean. I knew you would be done here, been waiting for a few hours.”
 
My eyes widen and I blink, confused. “Wait, you've been waiting…for me?”
 
“Yeah, I didn't know where to look without raising any alarm. I wanted to surprise you. So I waited here, and you came.”
 
“Kairi was right…But I'm glad you're here.”
 
Axel lifts me up into his arms, walking me back to the shore. I struggle in his grip. “Hey I can walk you know.”
 
“I know but I'd rather keep a hold on you. Don't want to lose you ever again.”
 
I smile and stop moving. Instead I snuggle closer to his cloak clad chest. I run a finger over his tattoos.
 
“Are you going to live with me now?”
 
Axel stops on the edge of water and beach and looks down at me.
 
“Riku I swear I'll never leave you. But if I happen to move on, I'll wait for you in the next life…always. I love you.”
 
A grin holds my lips up, “I love you too…got it memorized?”
 
He smiles at me more before leaning down and capturing my lips in another kiss.