Kyou Kara Maou Fan Fiction ❯ But I Don't Like Boys? ❯ A Promise He Made ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

But I Don't Like Boys? By Shukumei
 
Disclaimer: Kyou Kara Maou and all its characters belong to Tomo Takabayashi. You know the drill.
 
Warnings/Spoilers: This does take place after the end of the anime series, but as of right now, there's not too much in the way of spoilers. This is a boy/boy love story, and therefore, two guys will be involved in a relationship together (eventually). If this isn't your cup of tea, I suggest you find another story... Also, rating may or may not go up in later chapters.
 
Author yapping: I was semi-disappointed with the lack of “yaoi” in a supposedly shonen-ai anime. So this fanfic is basically to fill that void. Hopefully, the OVA will have more to it…
Unfortunately, this is not a random fanfic where Yuri and Wolfram are suddenly head-over-heels for each other. I want to make this story a little more “realistic” in the sense that Yuri isn't okay with dating a boy and the idea will have to grow on him with time.
I'm not going to focus too much on the description of characters and setting since we all basically know what things looks like. If I get more into the story, I may delve more into that sort of stuff. For now, I'm just focusing on the plot of Yuri and Wolfram getting together. Therefore, I won't be dealing with the other characters too much unless their appearance is moving the story along somehow.
 
Japanese: I'm going to pointedly avoid using Japanese words. As much as I keep having to catch myself not using them, I think it's best for all if I just leave it all in English. It also helps me not embarrass myself with misspelled words. But I am keeping the suffixes (like “chan” and “kun”).
 
~~~
 
Chapter 1: A Promise He Made
 
“But, Mother!” Yuri clenched his hands into fists in front of his chest, his voice pinched with a girly whine.
 
“No buts, Yu-chan.” Miko Shibuya, or Jennifer as she liked to be so called, took her youngest son's fists into her hands, unfolding them to trace along his fingers. “Do you not like Wol-chan?”
 
Yuri's face fell in defeat. His mother's fingers felt comforting, and Yuri felt himself giving in, despite his earlier protests. “No, Mother, I don't. It's so stupid.” Yuri took his hands back to shove one in his pant's pocket and the other to ruffle through his black hair. “This whole engagement thing is ridiculous. They say it's not uncommon in Shin Makoku, but I have yet to see a gay couple there.” Yuri sighed. “Besides, my home is here, and it's not so common on Earth. At least, not in a public sense.”
 
Jennifer smiled. “Was Momma upset when she found out you were engaged to a boy?”
 
“Ah-" Yuri faltered, and his face fell in defeat a second time. “No, Mother, you weren't. You're excited about some of the strangest things.”
 
“Momma. How many times have I told you, Yu-chan? It's Momma.” She waved a finger at him, frowning. “Was Papa upset?”
 
Yuri screwed his face up in concentration, trying to recall his father's exact reaction. “Hmm…” He put a finger to his temple as if that would help him remember. “I think Father got used to the idea. I noticed how Wolfram seems to have won over the both of you. Shori's probably the only one on my side.”
 
Jennifer placed her hands on her hips. “Now. So the only reason that you've given me for not wanting to date Wol-chan is that he's a boy.”
 
“That should be reason enough!” Yuri exclaimed.
 
Yuri's older brother, Shori stepped into Yuri's room at that very moment and said, “Sounds more like an excuse to me.”
 
“Sho-chan/Shori!” Both Yuri and his mother cried out at the same time. Yuri's face was wide-eyed and his voice cracked with shock. Jennifer, on the other hand, had a gleam in her eyes and said Shori's name with a smile.
 
Shori smirked and crossed his arms over his chest.
 
“See? Even Sho-chan agrees, Yu-chan. Would you like Wol-chan if he were a girl?” Jennifer winked at Shori and gave him a thumbs up.
 
“Ah-" Again, Yuri felt defeat. “I don't know. He's so demanding and spoiled. I mean, what kind of person threatens their, uh, significant other if they're too friendly with others?”
 
“He's just being protective, Yu-chan.”
 
“Well, he needs to stop it. It's not like I have a high enough ego to just go and fawn over all the girls I lay my eyes on.” Yuri huffed and quickly turned his head to the side. “And they don't exactly fawn over me.”
 
Shori stepped closer to Yuri and gave him a brotherly slap on the back. “You don't give yourself enough credit, little brother.”
 
“Not only that, Wol-chan said you almost accepted a marriage proposal one time while he was out.” Jennifer slapped Yuri on the other side of his back.
 
Yuri jumped away and waved his arms in front of himself. “No, that was just a misunderstanding! Besides, she was actually his fiancée.”
 
The mother and eldest son exchanged skeptical looks. Jennifer spoke first, “That doesn't explain why you accepted the proposal in the first place.”
 
Shori nodded. “And it's also suspicious that you did this while Wolfram wasn't around.”
 
“Stop ganging up on me! That's not fair,” Yuri complained.
 
Jennifer's eyes softened, and she touched Yuri's shoulder. “Wol-chan was heart-broken when he found out you had agreed to see her. He almost cried when he told me about it.”
 
“Really?” Yuri asked. “I've only seen him cry once. When we,” he paused, “when we thought I had to leave Shin Makoku for good.”
 
Shori sat on Yuri's bed. “It seems you've been the cause of a lot of heartache.”
 
“Then is it really worth it?” Yuri sighed, closing his eyes. “If all I do is reject his advances and cause him such pain, then why should he still want to be my fiancé? I can't be worth all that.”
 
Jennifer looked to be contemplating. “It's true that you hurt his feelings, but Wol-chan seems willing to sacrifice for you.” She pointed at Yuri across from her and loudly proclaimed, “You will go on a date with him to make up for all the horrible things you've done to him.”
 
“What?!” Yuri sat down hard on his bed in shock. “Wh-"
 
“Do it, Yu-chan.” His mother's face had become cold, her tone hard.
 
Shori placed a hand on his brother's shoulder next to him. “Yes, little brother, you should do it. Wolfram will be pleased.”
 
“Bu-bu-but, why are you in on this too, Shori?” Yuri pleaded.
 
Shori's glasses reflected light like an evil gleam. “Your punishment for never calling me Big Brother.”
 
Yuri pouted, “But what if I don't want to?”
 
Jennifer snapped her fingers sharply, catching Yuri's sudden attention. “You will go on a date with Wol-chan. In fact, bring him here once so he can experience a date on Earth.” Her smile seemed eerie. “Shori and I will take care that you two can have a proper Earth date; won't we, Shori?” She was sparkling with giddiness.
 
Shori's glasses still had that evil gleam. “Yes, we will.”
 
Yuri gulped.
 
~~~
 
“Remember your promise, Yu-chan!” Jennifer called out to her son, waving.
 
Yuri sighted. “Yes, Mother, I won't forget.” Before he stepped into the little kiddy pool, the most convenient portal to Shin Makoku for its size and location, Yuri caught sight of his mother bending down to whisper something in Murata's ear.
 
Murata listened intently and smiled. “I think that can be arranged, Momma.”
 
Yuri tensed. Oh, God, there was going to be more. Now even Murata was in on it.
 
Wolfram appeared at the back door, a bag in his hand. “Thank you for the extra curry,” his gaze drifted to Yuri, a look that seemed sad, and then back to Jennifer, “Shibuya-san.”
 
“Oh, Wol-chan.” Jennifer grabbed Wolfram in a hug, careful of the curry in his hands. “Please, it's Momma.”
 
Wolfram's sad expression quivered for a moment, as if that statement had caused him greater pain. Yuri wondered what his sudden change in mood was all about.
 
Murata stepped into the spotted kiddy pool next to Yuri. “Got everything?”
 
“Yeah.” Yuri held up his waterproof bag full of books. “Don't want them to get all wet on the return ride home.” He hadn't caught himself in time to correct that Shin Makoku wasn't really his home. Conrad had once said that it was alright if you had the two homes, so Yuri didn't feel the need to change his statement.
 
Wolfram came to the pool and waved for Conrad to hurry up. Conrad quickly slipped the white robe over his head and ran into the water with the others.
 
“Don't forgot, Yu-chan!” Jennifer gave a final wave at the back porch.
 
“I know!” Yuri yelled out before they were pulled through the whirlpool back to Shin Makoku.
 
~~~
 
End Chapter 1
 
There'll be more interaction between the two boys, I promise, just by patient. ^-^
 
Read and review, please.