Kyou Kara Maou Fan Fiction ❯ But I Don't Like Boys? ❯ Something Wolfram Would Like ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

But I Don't Like Boys? by Shukumei
 
Disclaimer: Same as before.
 
Warnings/Spoilers: Yeah, same as before, too.
 
-o-o-
 
Chapter 16: Something Wolfram Would Like
 
School sucked, too. Yuri moaned as he looked through all the extra work the teachers had given him since he was absent. He wasn't going to even be able to carry all of this home!
 
“Shibuya!” Ken leaned on Yuri's desk and looked down at his fellow double-black.
 
Yuri looked up from his position sprawled out on the desk. “Hi, Murata.”
 
“You got a lot of homework, too?” Ken asked. “And you were the one that wanted to come back to school…”
 
Yuri moaned again. “All right! So this was a bad idea. But think about how much more we would have if we came back later.” Yuri looked at Ken with squinted eyes. “Where's all of your stuff?”
 
“Oh.” Ken patted his backpack that he had thrown on the desk beside Yuri. “I stuffed what I could in here, and the rest is in my locker.”
 
“That makes sense.” Yuri stood up from his seat warily and bent down to pick up the large stack of papers from the floor. “Wanna help me get these down to my locker?”
 
-o-o-
 
Yuri shoved the last of the papers into his backpack as Ken tried to cram the rest in his locker. “I think you ended up with more work than I did,” Ken laughed.
 
“I'll probably get a few days leeway if I take some with me to Shin Makoku…” Yuri zipped up his engorged backpack and hefted it onto his back. He had to slouch forward to support its weight without toppling over. “Man, how am I supposed to ride my bike home like this?”
 
“Very carefully?” Ken suggested.
 
Yuri gave Ken a cross look. “Your backpack isn't any lighter.”
 
Ken shrugged and joined Yuri in walking towards the bike rack with his body hunched over. They unlocked their bicycles, and Ken strapped his backpack into the wire basket behind his seat. The basket in front of the handles on Yuri's bike wasn't wide enough to fit the huge backpack, so he had to awkwardly throw it in crooked.
 
The two black-haired boys left school on their bikes, Yuri having to do double work to make sure his large backpack didn't fall out of the tiny basket. Ken circled around Yuri every now and again, laughing as Yuri yelled at him to knock it off.
 
“So, Shibuya. When do you plan on going back?” Ken asked as he maneuvered his bike to ride beside Yuri again.
 
“Probably Sunday morning.” Yuri almost missed the turn that Ken suddenly made and had to peddle a little harder to catch up to him. “Why? Do want to leave at a different time?”
 
Ken shook his head. “No, Sunday is fine. We only have to deal with school for one more day. Although, all my free time is going to be taken up with schoolwork. Mom's going to hate me for not spending time with her.”
 
“Mom's making me go shopping with Shori for a gift for Wolfram. So I'll being doing homework until he gets off of work.” Yuri sighed.
 
“Is Wolfram mad that you came home?”
 
Yuri turned a corner, putting a hand out to steady his backpack. “Surprisingly, he understood. He wasn't screaming about it or anything, just told me to come back soon.”
 
“Aww,” Ken grinned. “No goodbye-kiss?”
 
“No,” Yuri said with pink cheeks. “Is that all you ever think about?”
 
“Can you blame me?” Ken stopped his bike at another corner. “I have to prod you about your love life since mine's nonexistent.” He put up his hand when Yuri stopped next him and gave him a dejected look. “But don't feel sorry for me. I have a feeling I'll get what I want in the end.”
 
Yuri balanced himself with his leg on the ground. “What do you want?”
 
“That would be telling, and I'm not going to jinx it so that I can appease your curiosity.” Ken shook a finger at him. “But this is where we part for tonight.” He waved as he rode off to the left. “Good luck finding a gift!”
 
Yuri waved back and continued forward, looking both ways before he crossed the street.
 
-o-o-
 
Yuri dragged through all of his homework, anxiously awaiting Shori's arrival just so he was free from that crap. He knew he'd have work to do when he came home, but he had no idea it was going to be so much worse than the things he had to do as a king. Not that being a student was more difficult than being a king, but all of it piled on like this… oh God. He'd just made more work for himself in Shin Makoku as well. Yuri sighed. He was never going to get a break, was he?
 
“Yu-chan!” his mother called from downstairs.
 
Not wanting to read another math equation, Yuri jumped up from his chair and threw open the door. “Shori here?” he yelled back down.
 
His mother's voice drifted up the stairs again. “He's on his way, so go wash up, dear!”
 
Yuri didn't waste a moment rushing to the bathroom and washing his face, hands, and teeth. He didn't need a bath yet, so that cleaning was plenty. He threw on the most random things he could find, a pair of jeans, a yellow shirt with stars, and a black jacket for the cooler weather; he'd grab his sneakers when he left. Yuri bounded back downstairs, eager to flee his homework and waited at the couch.
 
“In a hurry, Yu-chan?” Jennifer poked her head out from the kitchen, a splash of soap bubbles on her cheek. “It'll be at least another fifteen minutes.” She smiled at her son. “Come, help me do the dishes.”
 
Yuri quietly groaned but consented to his mother's request and joined her in the kitchen. Jennifer handed Yuri a wet plate when he stopped to stand next to her. “You can use the towel there. And put the dishes where they go when you've got them dry enough.”
 
Yuri sighed. “It's not like I haven't done this before, Mother.”
 
“Yes, but it's been awhile since you've done chores around the house.” Jennifer reached into the soapy water and pulled out a fork, scrubbing it. “You don't have any housework, or perhaps castlework, as King, do you?”
 
“I haven't really had to clean up after myself.” Yuri towel-dried the plate in his hands and walked over to the cabinet to put it away. “I try to out of habit sometimes.”
 
Jennifer gave Yuri the fork and reached in for another one. “So you have it easy in Shin Makoku, Yu-chan?”
 
“Oh, God, no,” Yuri said, putting away the fork too. “If I'm not signing away my life, I'm studying its history, practicing fighting and sword techniques, seeing to the well-being of my people… I barely have free-time to enjoy the fact that everyone cleans up for me.” He took the second fork his mother handed over and quickly pinched it in the towel. “Everyone's always doing something at the castle.”
 
Jennifer smiled at Yuri and placed a few more random dishes in the soapy water to soak. “Then you don't have much time to make new friends, do you?”
 
Yuri blushed and leaned back on the counter. “I actually did get to meet someone new. An old girlfriend of Wolfram's.”
 
Jennifer gasped. “Did you have to battle her to win Wol-chan's affections?”
 
“No, it was nothing like that.” Yuri laughed at his mother's eager face. “She's married now. Besides, neither Wolfram nor I seemed to be her type since she has a wife.” He stopped there to gauge his mother's reaction.
 
She clapped her hands together. “I just love Shin Makoku. They have no problems with love. One can marry as they wish. Oh, Yu-chan, it's all so romantic.”
 
“Not everyone can get married,” Yuri stated.
 
“Really? Why not?” Jennifer frowned.
 
“Some countries are still fighting each other, and human and mazoku relationships are illegal there.”
 
Jennifer grabbed a knife from the water and waved it at him. “But you're working on that, as King, right?”
 
Yuri laughed. “Yeah, I'm working on it.”
 
“Your father and I have a prohibited relationship.” Jennifer swooned. “Oo, how dangerous. Speaking of marriage-”
 
“No!” Yuri held his hands up high. “We are not going to discuss that.”
 
“But Yu-chan…”
 
“No but's, Mom.” Yuri pushed himself away from the counter. “I don't want to talk about stuff that I'm still… confused about. I… don't want to get anyone's hopes up.”
 
“Aw,” Jennifer giggled. “The only way you could get my hopes up is if you told me that you two could have babies.” She paused. “Or can you?”
 
Yuri blanched. “What?! No! Two men can't have children! That's completely irrational, Mother!”
 
Jennifer went back to scrubbing dishes. “But Shin Makoku is such a magical place. It could be possible. Maybe that's why it's not so uncommon for gay marriages! Just think about it, Yu-chan! Little baby Wol-chans and Yu-chans…” She squealed giddily.
 
“I am not going to think about it, Mother! Unless Shin Makoku men are built differently than men on Earth, there's no way!”
 
“Maybe they don't have to have sex to bear children?” Jennifer offered.
 
“That's ridiculous, too!” Yuri yelled, his face red. “Animals reproduce by having sex-”
 
“What if it was like a fish?” Jennifer asked. “You know, where they lay eggs and the male comes by and-”
 
“Oh my God! We are not having this conversation, Mom. You can't seriously think that a humanlike, uh, species, has babies like a fish.”
 
Jennifer smiled broadly. “Have you been told otherwise?”
 
“Uh… no?” Yuri's face turned white again. “I'll ask someone, just for the sake of knowing whether or not Shin Makoku men can reproduce like fish. That's such a weird thought, Mom. I hope for sanity's sake it isn't true.”
 
“What's not true?” Shori asked as he suddenly appeared in the kitchen.
 
“My Savior!” Yuri launched himself towards Shori and ran to the door. “Let's go, let's go!”
 
Shori yelled at Yuri as his younger brother threw on his shoes. “I can't say hi to Mom first?”
 
“Just hurry!”
 
-o-o-
 
Yuri found himself at a small shopping mall, peering inside the stores' windows with little interest.
 
Shori stood beside him and looked at the necklace Yuri was eyeballing with confusion. “You do realize you're buying for Wolfram, right?”
 
“Yeah…” Yuri walked away from the glass and wandered to the next store, stopping to stare at the baseball set on sale.
 
Shori cleared his throat. “Again, you're buying for Wolfram, right?”
 
“I know!” Yuri sighed and went to sit on a bench. “This would be so much easier if I were shopping for a girl.”
 
Shori sat next to him, watching some of the random people walk by. “What does Wolfram like?”
 
Yuri shrugged and lay back heavily on the bench's back. “Besides me? Swords - too expensive. Fire? - Um, no. Painting - God help me if I'm going to support that hobby.”
 
“Wolfram not any good at painting?” Shori asked.
 
“I'm no artist, but his stuff looks like something a really creative kindergartener would do. You would think that he'd use those eighty-some-odd years he's been living to perfect some sort of talent.” Yuri watched a couple walk by, the female stopping her male companion suddenly. The girl pointed at the necklace Yuri had spotted earlier with a large smile on her face. The boy then promised that he'd save up for it, possibly even get her something more beautiful. Yuri gestured at the couple as they stood in front of the window. “See? I knew a girl would like that. Why's it so damn hard to shop for Wolfram?”
 
Shori watched the couple as well, noticing the rather expensive outfit the girl was already wearing. “I think she's got him wrapped around her finger, Yuri. You start getting them expensive things, and they start to expect more expensive things. Things your wallet just can't handle.” He turned back to Yuri, suddenly curious. “Where'd you get the money to spend on Wolfram, anyway?”
 
“Mom actually gave me some money. She told me to bring her something pretty from Shin Makoku in return.” Yuri leaned forward, his arms resting on his knees. “I felt bad about it at first, but she insisted.”
 
“Then you'd better make this worth it,” Shori said. He grinned. “Maybe we should go find a gay couple and ask them what they buy each other.”
 
“What?” Yuri suspiciously looked around. “No, that's embarrassing. I refuse.”
 
“You could ask a girl what she gets her boyfriend.”
 
Yuri shook his head. “Girls don't get guys stuff, do they? I always figured it was the guy buying presents.”
 
Shori raised a suggestive eyebrow at his younger brother. “So you're the guy in the relationship?”
 
Yuri jumped up from the bench, face red. “Thatsnoneofyourbusiness!” He stalked off towards the food court. “I'll figure out something on my own!”
 
Shori jogged after him, slowing as he quickly caught up with Yuri. “I was joking, little brother. Look, if you can't think of something that Wolfram likes, you're best bet is to just buy him something that reminds you of him.”
 
“What's that supposed to mean?” Yuri looked at Shori as they walked with confused eyes.
 
“Simple, you look around, and if you see something and think of him, then you get him that. It can't be something that you want though.” Shori yanked on Yuri's arm to stop him in front of another window. “Okay, look at these and tell me if there's anything that reminds you of Wolfram.”
 
Yuri looked up at the mannequins on display wearing lacey negligee, mostly in the bra and panties form, and groaned. “No! This is female stuff! Wolfram would never wear something like this… and I certainly as hell wouldn't want to see him in it.” Yuri huffed and threw his head to the side. “Next please! Oh, wait…” He spotted a nightgown at the end of the display and went to stand in front of it. Yuri noticed with displeasure that he found himself comparing it to the one Wolfram wore. It was a very soft pink with long sleeves and only one small bow at the V-neck. He was lucky Wolfram didn't wear anything this revealing, the material was thin and practically see-through. “Wolfram needs a pair of male pajamas.”
 
“Really?” Shori gasped. “I showed you these to make a point that they shouldn't remind you of Wolfram. But he really wears something like this?”
 
Yuri hung his head. “It's a pink nightgown. I really wish he wouldn't wear it…”
 
Shori grabbed Yuri's wrist and tugged him forward. “Then let's just stick with the jewelry store if that's the case. You might find something Wolfram likes if he's girly enough to wear a woman's nightgown.”
 
-o-o-
 
End of chapter 16.
 
Yay, another chapter done! And no Wolfram in it! /gasps/ I figure there'll be a little bit more stuff on Earth (not much) and then we can get back to Shin Makoku and all that good stuff.
 
Read and review, please!