Kyou Kara Maou Fan Fiction ❯ Leaning Towards Change ❯ War? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Leaning Towards Change
 
 
This is a ConYuu fic, or at least it will be in a short while. Either way the characters will all have their moments of OOC as this is my interpretation of them. Plus you have to consider the fact that I'm setting this four years after Yuuri first arrived in Shin Makoku, so in that time it's plausible that he (and the others) will have changed.
 
P.S. At the moment I've only been able to watch up to Episode 39 with some vague ideas about what happens in the rest of the series, so spoilers till then, and afterwards is entirely my own sadistic thought process.
 
 
 
Disclaimer: I don't own any part of Kyo Kara Maou (even though I wish I did, just think of all those yummy bishies) so don't sue me.
 
 
 
Leaning back with a content sigh, a young man sat beneath a tall tree as obsidian eyes gazed around the meadow in the tranquil silence. A slim hand brushed away loose strands of ebony hair that had escaped the tie that held it back from his face. Absentmindedly he plucked off a piece of lint from his black clothing he wore to signify his status in this world. A status he thought that sometimes forced him to make decisions that he would rather not have to make.
 
Resting his head back against the comforting weight of the tree, dark eyes clouded with anxiety as he recalled the reasons behind his decision to sneak out of the castle alone. He had gone into Gwendal's study looking for some missing paperwork he'd needed when he'd found some reports lying on the desk. Curious about them he'd simply plucked them off of the desk and began to read. At first glance the reports had seemed innocent, he'd thought that they were merely some papers that had been left behind accidentally. He honestly wished that had been the case, instead he'd felt his blood run cold as he slowly absorbed both the importance and ramifications of the simple papers.
 
According to them there was some civil unrest building in Shin Makoku with the Mazoku that apparently didn't agree with his decisions regarding the neighboring human nations. According to the reports it seemed that they were moving from simple annoyance to a real threat against the stability of the kingdom. Especially if one were to believe that they were now striving for alliances with some of the shakier truces held in order to gain support for an attempted coup.
 
Once he'd finished reading he didn't know what exactly he was supposed to be feeling. There were just too many emotions warring for control that he felt he needed out of the castle to think about it in peace. Unfortunately, everyone that could have gone with him would have refused on the basis that there wasn't enough time to arrange an escort for him. It really exasperated him that they always seemed to forget that he was now proficient with a sword and an excellent marksman with the bow (although, he still had a little trouble controlling his magic), all of this meaning that he was perfectly capable of taking care of himself.
 
A frown creased his brow as he gave thought to the real reason for leaving the castle without telling anyone about it. As Maou it was his duty to know about anything that was a possible threat to his kingdom so that he could determine the best possible way to deal with the situation, and it seemed that everyone had managed to forget that. He couldn't have asked them to escort him if he was upset with them in the first place for keeping something this important from him. For them to do that meant that they still didn't trust in his ability to make the right decision for everyone even if it was a hard choice and that both disappointed and angered him.
 
A wry chuckle escaped his lips as he thought back to the way he'd been upon his arrival here, even if it had only been four years. He'd been so naïve, and quite honestly didn't have the first idea about running a kingdom; after all it's not like he was raised for the job. Even still, he'd managed to stumble through it all with the help of Gunter, Gwendal, Wolfram, Lady Celi, and of course he couldn't forget about Conrad's help. A lot had changed since then and he'd thought that he'd managed to prove to them that he was finally a competent ruler, but apparently he'd been wrong.
 
A part of him was saying that maybe it was all an accident and that they hadn't meant anything by it, but another part was reminding him that some of the reports were dated nearly six months before. The threat that of the malcontents was serious and one of them should have spoken to him about it when the rumors first began to prove true. War, especially civil war, was the last thing he ever wanted to see in his kingdom, but he'd matured to the point that he now understood that some people didn't respond well to placating words.
 
Sighing heavily he looked up as he heard the sound of hooves making their way toward the meadow he was taking refuge in, or rather the tree he was currently sitting under. As the horse came to a stop, he raised a hand to block the sun and a light smile teased his lips as he recognized the rider that was dismounting. While looking at him reproachfully the tall man seated himself on the lush grass before opening his mouth to speak to the young Maou.
 
“You had everyone very worried when we couldn't find you, Heika.”
 
“Don't call me that, my name is Yuuri, nazukeoya.” Yuuri responded absently before falling into thought again. Returning to the thoughts he was entertaining earlier he remained blissfully unaware as the other tried unsuccessfully to talk with him. His stomach twisted unpleasantly as he reached a decision in his mind and turned to look at the man sitting who was now next to him quietly.
 
“Why didn't you tell me about the reports Conrad?”
 
“I—” He began only to fall quiet as his young Maou raised a hand to cut him off. “I'm no longer the simple-minded kid you guys used to watch out for.” Yuuri said in a low voice as his emotions bled into his words. “I know that everyone still wants to protect me, but how can I call myself Maou if I know nothing about the events in the kingdom?”
 
Trying to ignore his frustration, he pulled up a blade of grass and began to play with it, as he tried to calm himself. “We didn't mean for you to find out the way that you did, Yuuri.” Conrad spoke softly as he reached over to take hold of the youth's hands. Surprised to feel the large, callused hands enveloping his, Yuuri jerked his gaze upwards to meet the affectionate chocolate brown eyes of his personal bodyguard as the man continued to speak.
 
“When the reports first came in…they weren't much more than idle speculation at that point. It's only been recently that we've been able to verify the truth of the reports.” Lighting squeezing the slim hands he held, he released them and stood leaning his shoulder against the wide tree trunk with his arms crossed in front of him. “We didn't want to worry you unnecessarily. I apolo— Yuuri! Get up and stay behind that tree.”
 
Startled by the harsh one of his guard, the Yuuri's eyes widened as he took in the scene that had cause his normally calm guard to sound so unlike himself. Smoothly picking up the discarded bow and quiver that lay beside him, the black haired youth stood as he slung his quiver across his shoulder and moved to stand with Conrad. Groaning mentally, as he heard the light steps stopping behind him, the tall brunette spared a reproving glance towards the obstinate young Maou. “Don't worry I'll stay behind the tree with my bow, but don't expect me to hide and do nothing.”
 
At the determined words, Conrad turned slightly to see nothing but firm resolve hidden in those black depths, nodding curtly he turned his attention back towards the men coming towards them. Unsheathing his sword he felt a profound sense of relief when he felt Yuuri move towards the tree. Doing a quick count of the men that were approaching them, he wondered how it was that Yuuri always managed to find these types of situations.
 
Hearing the whistle of an arrow fly past him, he pulled himself from thought in time to see Yuuri's arrow embed itself in the thigh of one of their attackers. Chastising himself for allowing his mind to wander away from the task of protecting the Maou, he braced himself to meet the men that were now close enough to attack.
 
Behind the safety of the tree, Yuuri watched Conrad as he fought, while at the same time using his bow to dissuade others from getting too close. Intent on the fight that was occurring, he nearly missed the glint of something metallic in the distance. Straining his eyes to see across the long distance, he felt his heart jump as his eyes registered what it was that he was seeing. Without stopping to think about what he was doing, (Which is something Yuuri will never grow out of, no matter how mature he gets) he dropped his bow and ran faster than he knew was possible.
 
As he sprinted towards his destination his mind whirled with memories he'd long since tried to bury in a futile attempt at forgetting. Memories of all the times that he'd been forced to watch as Conrad was injured defending him, and of the times that he'd thought it might truly be the end. His mind finally understood what it was that his heart had been screaming at him the entire time, and he felt a wave of peace come over him as he shoved Conrad's shocked body out of the way.
 
Breathing heavily he smiled briefly at Conrad's questioning gaze, watching as his expression turned to shock and concern even as he felt the blood begin to trickle down his body. Collapsing as his weakened knees gave out on him he could only watch as guards from the castle arrived. Gritting his teeth against the feeling of pain that something was being torn from him, he felt as though he was watching everything through a cloud of haze.
 
Pained breaths forced their way through his lips, as his face drained of color leaving behind an unhealthy pallor. Distantly he noted that Conrad was trying to talk to him as he was pushed up onto the horse. In the back of his mind there was an awareness that something was happening, something that shouldn't be possible.
 
 
 
End Chap. 1
 
 
 
Things like Yuuri's ability (both mentally and physically) to fight will be explained in later chapters. Also I'll get around to explaining what exactly just happened in the next chapter.