Labyrinth Fan Fiction ❯ Thirteen Hours ❯ Start! ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Three: Start!




Stephanie sidestepped by a goblin as others continued to terrorize the small town. She almost laughed at a few goblins who tried to scare her, forgetting that she recently had been to the Underground on several occasions. She had raised her eyebrows at them and just walked by. The only time she had stopped was to slightly roll up her pj pants so she wouldn’t trip over and land on her face.

One woman tried hitting a few goblins with her purse as she tried to get safely into a corner store. Parents quickly pulled their children away from the grasps of the tiny creatures and ran into the several stores that were linked together; and into homes, barricading the doors behind them. She could just imagine the phone calls the small police station was receiving at this time. She smiled at the thought of it all.

The castle seemed out of place in the town but then again, so were the goblins in medieval like attire and who knows what else from the Underground that were running around; especially in this day and era.

The Labyrinth was situated at one edge of town, far from the middle of it where the stores and main offices were, it didn’t seem as though the Labyrinth had crushed or covered any homes or buildings. Stephanie concluded that the houses were inside the vast maze in between section and walls and there would be a lot of confused and scared people.

“What a mess,” Stephanie sighed to herself with a small smile. ‘They’re better off to stay in their homes and not get even more lost in the Labyrinth.’ she thought. Stephanie and her cousin reached the center of town, the tall walls snaked amongst the edge of town, houses where they should be, of course weren’t there as she suspected.

The town residents, those who were not being attacked by the swarm of goblins yet; cluttered the streets, all chattering about the situation of the vision concerning their town. Children pointed to the strange creatures in the distance and tried to get the attention of their parents, hoping to get answers about the castle slightly hidden by the looming walls. Cars stopped in mid traffic and some had swerved onto the sidewalks, drivers gawked at the sights around. Luckily, there were only minor bumper fenders and there were no serious injuries.

As she made sure her cousin was following, Stephanie squeezed her way through the crowd and on several occasions, had to ask a few people to move. Minutes passed and the police arrived at the scene, trying to get a handle on the strange situation at hand. Stephanie was surprised they actually came.

“Come on Dani,” Stephanie said, lightly grabbing her cousin’s wrist and helped her through the gathering crowd. “The sooner we get there, the sooner we end this mayhem. Although it did bring some excitement in this little town.” She grinned with a laugh.
The outer walls were getting nearer as the two girls made their way more through the town, close enough to see the shape of the strange hedges alongside them. A few groups of people had gathered by the entrance, mostly teenagers and a few kids that managed to slip away from their parents or had skipped school. The entrance however, they couldn’t open, the double onyx doors remained shut tight. Several of the inhabitants tried to push on the doors even pulling, but to no avail; others tried to climb the high walls but came up with the same end.

The cousins were about a block away and were having trouble passing through. A roadblock was the problem, cars stalled from one building to the one across the main road; steam rose from a few cars that had run into each other, no other way was seen to get through. What didn’t help was that the crowd grew more curious than frightened so there was also no way to go around without difficulty.

“This isn’t gonna work Steph! There’s too many people around!” Danyelle was looking at all the people crammed together who were trying to figure out what was going on. The chatter was almost deafening.

Stephanie thought for a second and rolled her eyes at herself at how the solution was simple.

Stephanie placed a foot on top of a tire of a red Grand Prix in front of her and stepped unto the hood. The driver protested and shouted profanity at the pj clad young woman. “Sorry!!” she held out her hands in apology and quickly turned to Danyelle. “This way would do just fine.” she grinned again as she helped her cousin up onto the hood and quickly made their way to the other side, leaving shoe marks on the angry driver’s car.

“I can’t believe you just did that!” giggled Danyelle as she looked at the angry man behind them who proceeded to yell, shaking his fist at them.

“Sorry!! I really am!!” The nineteen-year old said over her shoulder as she quickly grabbed her cousin and ran off before the driver could come out of his car. “I know, but it was the only way.” she giggled with her cousin.

“You know,” Danyelle said, slowing her pace down “I don’t even have supplies! Like water or anything like that! And I can see you don’t either.”

“Hmm, you're right.” The entrance was just a few feet away. “But as you can see, I have no money on me.” Stephanie added with a laugh and gestured to her pajamas. It did have pockets but it was obvious that she usually didn't carry her wallet in her pjs.

“Well, why don’t we just go to a store? I mean the workers just ran out and didn’t bother locking up, I can pay them after right?” said Danyelle as she watched the people running in and out of the stores. She doubted that they would chase after shoplifters.

“I suppose.” Stephanie paused. “All right. Let's make this quick.” she was looking for any signs of police forces. “We’d better not get caught lest Jareth would have to get us and he won’t be too pleased.”

“Ok, I’ll get supplies and you go get some clothes and proper shoes okay?” Danyelle said with a look of excitement. “I never stole anything before, but once I put a different price on some gum but chickened out.” Danyelle giggled.

Stephanie laughed. “I'm good enough in this, supplies are more necessary. But I'll get a bag to carry everything though. And I haven't stolen anything either.” she added.
“Ok, will do.”

Stephanie ran across the street, jumping onto car hoods and ignoring the lewd comments. She headed towards a store that she knew would have at least a good enough backpack. She passed under stoplights that blinked from one color to the next.

Danyelle watched her cousin leave and turned around to do her own task. Moments passed before the seventeen-year old emerged from the store she had entered. She made her way to the clothing store she had seen Stephanie go in.

“Hey Steph, hurry up!” Danyelle said, holding a numerous amount of water bottles, chips, chocolate bars and gum; while looking for any signs of her cousin. “I got loads of stuff here! I don’t think we’re going to run out! Man, I should do grocery shopping from now on!”



_____________________________________O O O_____________________________________




Stephanie pulled at the red and purple backpack; it was large enough to hold large college thick binders and many books. The goblin holding onto the other strap was persistent.

“Damn it!! Let go!!”

“No you let go!” it argued and pulled on its end. Stephanie got an idea.

“If you don't let go of the bag this instant. I will tell your King to throw you in the Bog of Eternal Stench. You think I don’t know what that is?? Jareth is a friend of mine and he wouldn’t allow this.” she waited with hands on her hips.

The goblin let go of the bag and scurried away, leaving the girl with the bag at her feet. She smiled, grabbed the backpack and hurried to the group of people that were rushing out of the store with items. She searched for her cousin. It only took a moment before she spotted her cousin, she was standing near the store she currently left.
“God, what took you so long?” Danyelle said, loading the items she had stolen into the bag.

“I had a goblin mishap.” Stephanie rolled her eyes indicating the stubborn goblin that was now fighting over an item with another person. “This was the last backpack,” she added as she closed the bag after Danyelle placed the items in. “Ye gods, everyone is crazy.” she laughed and asked who would carry the bag first.

“I should carry it, I got us in this mess.” Danyelle replied, took the bag, and threw it over her shoulder.

“All right.” Stephanie nodded. “But I can carry it as well, once you get tired of it. And didn't you get anything healthy??” she laughed.

“Course I did! I mean this is the best stuff for a journey like this! Don’t you think?” she turned to Stephanie. “You got your potato section, your sugar shock section and your gum section. What more do you need?”

“I suppose.” Stephanie laughed again. “It'll be like a treat. But those are interesting food groups. I’m glad you got water and not a whole lot of juice.” she started towards the Labyrinth again, her pace a bit quicker than before. “Let’s get going before Jareth starts to wonder what's taking us so long to start.”

Danyelle laughed as she ran next to Stephanie.

Finally after several minutes later of passing several groups of people, Stephanie was actually surprised there were that many people in the little old town; they’ve finally made it to the outer walls of the Labyrinth. The same group that she had seen before were still trying to get into the maze. A few managed to climb the top with help of others and sat onto the top of the tall wall, debating whether or not to jump to the other side, others were looking for another way in, circling what they can around the massive walls.

Stephanie watched, figuring how they can enter if these people cannot. “Through the entrance I’m sure...” Stephanie said to herself. “Perhaps we have like a V.I.P access, but if I’m wrong, we’ll have to find another way in.” she mused.

A few teenagers laughed at a few individuals that had tried to ram into the wooden doors all together. Stephanie turned to Danyelle. “Let’s show these people how it’s done, shall we??”

Danyelle nodded with a grin.

Stephanie started walking towards the familiar large double black doors. The carvings were the same as before, deeply etched into the thick wood. She smiled at the feeling she felt, it was the same as when she first encountered the Goblin King and his famous Labyrinth. It was all, thrilling.

As before, there were no handles but she still approached the doors, she studied the carvings more closely, hoping for them to give her some sort of clue.
“Hey! You can’t go in there!” a blond haired or rather bleached haired boy shouted at her, breaking her search, he couldn’t be more than sixteen.

“Why not??” Stephanie turned around to face the boy. She didn’t recognize him, but it was understandable, she hasn’t been in the town in years.

“Cuz’ you can’t. No one can, the doors won’t open.” He explained rather as a Mr. Know-It-All. Danyelle grinned as though she knew a secret, Stephanie crossed her arms over her chest as he told her that they had tried several times. “So you see, no one can.”

“Oh really??” Stephanie said with her eyebrows raised, she smiled at her cousin. She turned back to the doors and took a step forward.

“Are you stupid or something? The doors are jammed shut, locked even.” The boy said as he came closer, slightly shoving Stephanie away. To show that the doors are really closed tight, he pushed in the middle of them, of course they didn’t move.

Stephanie had stumbled a bit backwards when she was shoved. She ignored the gesture and said: “I am not dense and I know exactly what I am doing.” She pushed him away from between her and the entrance.

“Are you coming Dani??” she said as she gave the rude boy a last glance before continuing.

‘This had better work or else I’ll look like a fool.’ She thought as she held out her hand. Her fingertips brushed against nothing but air. She smiled. She then turned to the boy and extended her thumb, index finger and middle finger in a sort of a wave gesture. This was her usual greeting/wave. “Watch me.” She smirked and passed completely through the doors as though it was only an illusion to her, but perfectly solid to others. She listened and smiled at the few gasps and surprised remarks from the other side as she waited for Danyelle to cross over into the passageway. She smiled pleased that she had passed through the entrance.

As she waited, she could faintly hear the cries of help that were coming from within the large maze. “A lot of confused people out there.” Stephanie said to herself with a slight shake of her head just as Danyelle appeared slowly through the doorway, a look of amazement upon her features.

“Woah! That was kewl Steph.” She turned around looked back at the still tightly shut doors.

“I know, it never seems to stop to amaze even myself,” Stephanie nodded in agreement.

A thump was heard from the doors on the other side of the wall, followed by a small grunt. Stephanie let out a short laugh at the attempts of the bleached haired boy. She smiled at Danyelle who giggled.

“What the hell?” he shouted.

“We’re the ones that are allowed to enter this time. He doesn’t need a mass of people running around the Labyrinth, more than what are trapped in here.” Stephanie said clearly enough to be heard by the boy and perhaps others.

“Who?”

“The Goblin King of course,” Stephanie said a matter-of-factly. The boy muttered something but she didn’t quite catch it. “Oh and make sure you don’t—”

“Ow! What the hell?” his voice was heard.

“—encounter or bother the faeries. Never mind.” She finished with a smirk.

“What faeries? The same ones from that movie?” Danyelle said as Stephanie backed away from the wall and knelt to fix her socks.

Stephanie grinned. “The ones at the entrance that always bother Hoggle. They bite. They’re not poisonous but just stings like crazy.”

Danyelle giggled but when she saw the long corridor with no end in sight, she frowned. She looked ahead of her “This isn’t gonna be like, hard is it?”

“Well,” said Stephanie, rolling up her pajama pants again. “The Labyrinth is never easy.”

“But, is it gonna be dangerous?” a worried look slowly poured over Danyelle’s face.

“If we're careful it shouldn't be. But there's really no way of telling.” she smiled reassuringly to her cousin. “Don't worry, I'm sure the Goblin King will look after us.”

“Yah” said Danyelle, rolling her eyes. “I don’t think he likes me very much.”

“Well,” Stephanie said as she slowly started to walk. “your wish was something he was not expecting and it didn't seem to amuse him all that well.”

“Well, I hope so.” A moment later she said: “So,” She looked at her surrounding, which were of course, strange and new to her. The tall walls seemed to touch the sky. “Do you know where you’re going?” she asked.

“Nope.” Stephanie confessed. “Deciphering the way to the castle is the only way I know. Although I do have the knack for picking at least a few right paths. It’s sort of like a sense or something.” she shrugged.

“Well,” her cousin said looking straight at Stephanie “your senses better be top notch,” Danyelle giggled.

Stephanie grinned again. She lightly ran her hand along the wall, trying to find a hidden passageway. The corridor seemed to go on forever, although she knew better.

Danyelle tried to help as she mimicked what Stephanie was doing. “How do I know what I'm looking for?”

“The same concept like the entrance, what looks like walls may not be there at all. Like an illusion.” her footsteps made a pleasant sound on the labyrinthine earth.

“So if my hand goes right through the wall, I found a hidden passage?” asked Danyelle, brushing her hand against the wall back and forth until she had lost her balance and fell through the wall that was once in front of her.

“Aaah!” Danyelle screamed falling hard on the ground onto the other side, scraping her knee. “Ouch!”

Stephanie rushed to where Danyelle had stood a moment before.

“Steph?” shouted Danyelle as she quickly got up from the ground.

“You shouldn't be leaning on the walls,” Stephanie half giggled, looking around for the exact location of her cousin's voice.

“Well,” Danyelle started to panic. The thought of her being by herself made her a bit uncomfortable. “I didn’t know it was gonna be like that! How do I get out?” she started to bang on the walls. “Steph! HELP ME!” Another thought occurred to her.

“Oh my god I’m gonna die! I’m gonna die with goblins or something! Steph! Stop laughing! It’s not funny!”

Stephanie couldn't help but giggle from the other side. Both hands were placed upon the rough wall, trying to feel her way.

While trying to laugh her fear away, Danyelle faced the sounds of Stephanie’s giggles. “Steph you suck, you know that!”

“The thing is not to panic Dani, it's just one little mishap.” Stephanie held in another giggle and blew a strand of hair away from her face, she listened to her cousin for her location.

“Me? Panic? Naw, I’m not panicking!” Danyelle said nervously, looking around her for some hint of an exit. She turned back to the wall, went down the corridor only a few paces, her hands upon the walls as well and got a finger right in her nose.

“Ew Steph!” Danyelle drew back, covering her nose. Her cousin got the same disgusted expression on her face; her nose scrunched up and she quickly wiped her finger on the wall.

“Ew, that's one thing that I hope never happens again,” she wiped her finger on her pants for good measure. She then stepped into the new corridor and glanced both ways.

“Steph!” Danyelle gasped as she saw her cousin suddenly appear through the thick wall. It was a fascinating sight to see one pass through solid stone as though it was nothing more than air. She watched Stephanie look both ways before asking which way should they go.

“I suppose we can go left and see where it leads to,” she replied as she slowly started to go down the path she suggested.

“Wait for me!” Danyelle said, reaching the same pace as Stephanie. The corridor was less littered with branches and moss than Stephanie usually remembered; she continued to search for the concept of hidden passageways.

Light sand swirled around the girls’ feet as they walked towards their destination; it remained upon the tips of their shoes.

“So, how long do you think this will take?” Danyelle asked.

“I’m not sure, let’s hope not before the time runs out.” Stephanie shrugged with a laugh.

“I don’t really think this is all that funny Steph.” Danyelle nudged her cousin’s ribs with her elbow.

“Sorry,” Stephanie lightly winced with a small smile. She entered another corridor; it was fairly easier to find them, she also noticed that they were deeper into the Labyrinth; there were no long corridors anymore, all were shorten and now winded in every single direction. Danyelle looked around and studied the many paths, the familiar worried look came across her face.

“Stuff’s gonna start to happen now isn’t it?” Danyelle said and she wrapped her arms around one of Stephanie’s arms, she continued to look around her, a bit more nervously now that they were this far; and in such little time.

“Uh-hmm. We got this far with nothing happening,” Stephanie nodded. “I’m sure that we will encounter something and it will try to stop us. Jareth has to follow the rules even if it means putting his realm on the line.”

“By the way, where is he anyways?”

“I assume he’s in his castle. I think all he can really do is watch our progress.” Stephanie replied pointed with her thumb at the castle behind her.

“Hmm.” Was the only reply from Danyelle.

A shadow passed over the two girls, Stephanie looked up while Danyelle winced and was about to cover her head.
“Look out!!” Stephanie yelled as she quickly jumped out of the way, she stumbled and fell back. Danyelle looked up, her eyes widened as a figure wavered in flight as it came soaring towards her.

The sound of a body crashing against another was heard.




================ O O O ================
================ O O O ================

Note: We do not endorse the idea of stealing. Just pointing this out. It’s wrong. –lol- So please don’t do it cause we mentioned it here, okay??
Thanks.