Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ Ethereal Wings ❯ Chapter IIII: Can’t Fight the Changes ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter IIII: Can't Fight the Changes
 
 
As the stars settled into the velvet sky, we trudged along the path to the Twilight. The world around us still unmoved; an eerie silence was surrounding the nervous pressure of having a new team member.
 
“So…” Nozomi gave a try at breaking the quiet. “How long will you be traveling with us, Emiko?” she said as she twirled the loophole of her sheath around her finger.
“I shall journey with you for as long as my sister needs to remain in hiding; which means we must acquire the medallion from our next destination so that with it in our hands, it can temporarily chase out Ganon's powers from Hyrule's main lands, and safety can be restored.”
“…Oh.” I answered, soaking in the royal grammar. “I see.”
 
Lee and I were a few paces behind Nozomi, and Link stood beside Emiko as they lead the way to Nozomi's homeland.
“I'm definitely eating as soon as we get there.” She mumbled to herself. I overheard and let out an excited noise in response which also triggered Link to glance at us in the manner of a starving animal.
I giggled and as she rolled her eyes. “Don't worry, I wouldn't leave you guys out of the party.”
 
As we reached the connecting bridge, I paused with my ears perked, noticing something unusual.
“Wha…”
“What is it?” Emiko questioned at my sudden change in tune.
“It's… the town.” Nozomi whispered. “It's all…broken down…”
 
Slowly walking over the bridge, I looked in horror, noticing that the twilight creatures from the woods had run rampant in their battle and destroyed the village. Finally reaching the town, we watched Twilight and Ethereal clash against each other, destroying anything and everything in their path. The giant clock tower, "The Eyes of Twilight" as we always called it, which stood in the middle of the town and watched the lands, chimed drear fully as if it too had been inflicted by the event. It's once magical aura had subsided and now it was just an ominous figure to me, around all of the horror.
“…Nozomi? Is that you!?” A familiar voice cried. A young girl ran up to Nozomi, jumping into her arms as she held her protectively.
The girls name was Shizuka; she was a Twilight child and a fellow villager of Nozomi's. She was only about twelve, but had the same features as normal Twili people; pale slightly blue tinted skin, long dark hair, bright eyes and markings on her arms and side.
 
“Shizuka, are you ok? What's happening? Are your parents and siblings hurt?” She realized it was a dumb question she had asked, the girl wasn't the one who knew what was actually happening, it was her.
“We're all fine… our home is destroyed though… Have you seen it here lately? The woods are already starting to disappear and be swallowed up by the black magic, and they're infested with evil Twilit creatures that seem to have been brainwashed!”
 
She paused with anger in her eyes. “ Yes, Don't worry about it right now… It's all going to be over soon. I'll get you some shelter, don't worry…”
 
After we gathered Shizuka and her family, we brought them inside Nozomi's home. Our group sat around the table, thinking of the situation.
“This is horrible…I wonder if it's the same in my world…” I said on the verge of tears, resting my head in my hands.
Emiko sat up from the table to get our attention. “The creatures are not happy; Ganon has used his powers to control their feelings, making them fight one another. If this isn't stopped, it could be the end of this world. We need to find the hidden Ocarina so that we can calm them all down!”
 
All of us stared at her helplessly for a moment, and then suddenly Nozomi felt motivated to join her.
“I'm ready. I can't bear to see any of this any longer; I just want it to end.” She stared out the window watching the terror continue.
I stood. “I'm ready too.” I walked up next to her and grabbed her hand tightly to let her know I was there.
 
 
The shadows of Twilight woods moved hauntingly across the ground as Nozomi and I tiptoed around with Link and Lee following behind.
 
“I don't like this place…” I whined, looking up at the purple moonlight beaming through the leaves of the trees overhead. “It seems like there could be weird creatures popping out any time.”
“It's perfectly safe, Aiko. I've lived in this place for yea-AHH!” Nozomi was brought to a halt, as I saw something from the corner of my eye. Right in front of us, standing still, was a giant ominous spider, causing chills to run quickly down my spine. It appeared to have something in the clutch of its fangs.
 
I was too scared to move, grasping tightly to Lee and Nozomi's arm. “I'm in my happy place…I'm in my happy place…” I cried, my eyes shut.
 
“It's a dark Twilight creature.” Emiko stated. “Dark Twilight creatures can only be defeated by normal Twilight creatures.”
“What's that in its mouth? It looks…” Lee started, but before he could finish, the creature started moving towards us. Nozomi grabbed her sword, and the others were ready to fight it, but something quickly beat us to it.
A fast flying object, appearing from the shadows, hit the creature in the stomach. Then, two more hit it in the head, causing it to fall over from its injuries.
 
“Haha…Dinner is served.” A young voice paraded from the distance. In no time, a girl with short black hair and bright eyes walked up to the spider, pulling out the objects she had thrown, which appeared to be knives. “Luna?” Then, as she pulled out what was in its fangs, a tiny fairy was revealed. “I told you not to come through here alone! You could have been eaten if I hadn't come looking for you!” She reprimanded the small creature.
“I'm sorry Ivy…” The little fairy apologized. “I was just looking for the Ocarina; I lost it yesterday when I was collecting flowers…”
 
`Ocarina?' The word kept ringing in my mind. `Maybe this was the one we're looking for…'
She sighed, then glanced over at us, watching the conversation awkwardly, with me still grasping Lee and Nozomi's arm.
None of us were sure what to say, so I guess Nozomi blurted out what first came to mind. “Uh….hi?”
 
“You're from here, I've seen you...Guardian.” She smiled, revealing her large fangs. My eyes widened with shock, she was a vampire.
“Yes, I'm Nozomi. I'm the Twilight Guardian. Um… I heard your friend say something about an Ocarina. Well, funny thing, but that Ocarina is the key to stop the creatures from destroying the Twilight, and we need it.”
“Oh really you say?” The girl raised an eyebrow, putting her finger to her mouth. “But, I kinda like this change, more prey to catch, you know?” Her fairy friend drifted behind her with a timid expression.
 
“Actually, if this keeps up, not only the Twilight, but all of Hyrule will be destroyed, and eventually disappear, being replaced by a barren wasteland,” Emiko interrupted. “This is why it is crucial you show us where the Ocarina of Twilight is.”
“It's also crucial that you don't suck our blood, because we're the key to saving it.” I quickly added with a nervous smile while raising a finger. Lee stared at me for my stupid comment.
“Huh? Why would she do that?” Link asked, looking at me strangely.
“Because…She's a vampire…” Nozomi muttered quietly with her teeth clenched, looking at him but not turning her head.
He rolled his eyes at us. “No she isn't, Vampires are a myth.”
“Not around here they aren't, and be quiet!” She replied back aggressively tapping his arm.
 
“Um, excuse me,” She interrupted us with a glare. “But I don't believe I've properly acquainted myself, from what I'm hearing. I'm Ivy, indeed a vampire who lives here in Twilight Woods, protecting the good and destroying the bad. This is my friend Luna; she's a dark fairy whom I take care of.”
“I TOLD you!” Nozomi retaliated obnoxiously at Link, pointing her finger at him like a child who just won a game of rock paper scissors.
 
The usually hesitant Kokiri was still glancing back at us with a look of disbelief.
Emiko gave a sigh as we continued to quarrel. “You should really learn how to get along better…” She remarked, tapping her foot on the ground.
“Then let her prove it.” Lee replied. “If she's a vampire, she sucks blood, right?”
Ivy nodded. “I sure do. Only the best, of course.” With that, she hooked in her fangs and drained the spider, causing it to wither away slowly.
“Uuugh…. I think I'm going to throw up…” I commented queasily.
 
Nozomi smiled triumphantly. “Well, now that High Priest of Green Greatness has been proven wrong, we can continue.”
“Reaaal mature, Nozomi.” He said crossing his arms irritated, as I laughed along with her.
“The Deku Tree called, he wants to know who stole his wardrobe!” I continued, this time both Nozomi and Lee playing along.
“Poor guy, you all should be easier on the shy one of the group.” Emiko continued, trying to break our laughter.
 
“As amusing as this is, corny jokes give me a case of depression.” Ivy stated, popping in between Nozomi and I, and resting her arms on our shoulders. “Now, are you gonna come with me to my house and we can work things out, or are you going to stay here arguing over pointless facts, eventually being eaten by spiders and wolves?”
 
“We're going.” Link answered. “I think we're just a bit delirious from lack of food.” He chuckled with a sweat drop, scratching his head slightly.
“Well, well, have I got a treat for you tonight, then.” Ivy laughed. “Just follow me.” She jumped into the treetops, jumping from branch to branch, Luna following behind her.
“Aiiee! Wait up!” We cried as Nozomi led the way chasing after her with the others.
“If you're truly from the Twilight, you can keep up with me!” She yelled, continuing her path.
 
Finally reaching a wooden cottage, Nozomi panted, looking around for signs of us. “Um…I think they were too slow to keep up…” she replied slowly, glancing around.
“Oh, they'll be here.” She giggled. “All you all had to do was follow the path.
Nozomi looked under her feet, a dirt path constructed neatly beneath it, following back into the woods. “Are you kidding me?!” she huffed, raising a fist. I hate the optical illusion in this place.
“Look, here they come now.” She pointed, a glint in her eyes.
 
Nozomi looked behind her to see the rest of the gang quickly running towards her.
“Umm guys, you don't have to run anymore, we're righ- OOF!” We passed her though, Link grabbing her right arm as I grabbed her left, continuing to the cottage.
“What the hell is your alls problem?!” She screeched being dragged in the dirt. We opened the cottage door and slammed it shut once all of us were in, Ivy giggling mischievously.
Nozomi plopped down on the floor and rubbed her behind. “Ok, I want an explanation about the sudden rampage.”
 
“Didn't you see that?! There was a huge bloodthirsty wolf chasing us!” I panted.
“I'm sorry to say I failed in seeing any wolf.”
“It was right behind us, though!”
“Actually, there was no wolf.” Ivy admitted. “What you saw was a mirage. Here in these woods, we call them mirage creatures. You can tell if someone isn't from here, because once they get lost in the woods they start to see the mirage creatures, eventually until they get chased out.”
“That fucking thing wasn't real?!” Lee exclaimed. “I could hear it, though.”
Ivy smiled. “That was your wonderful imagination.”
“I'm never going through there again…” Emiko sulked.
 
“So, what do you mortals eat?” Ivy inquired, quickly changing the subject.
“Anything.” Nozomi and I replied in response. “I'm about to die from starvation.”
“Well let's see here…” She opened her cabinet. “We've got berries, bread, water….and…uh…foo-” She was cut off by the sight of all of us shoving the food in our mouths, barely taking breaths in between.
A jolt of slight fear overtook her face. “Glad to see you enjoy it…ehehe…”
“So…” Nozomi said in between gulps. “Are you still…gonna tell us…about my Ocarina?” I nodded chewing the meal contently.
 
Luna landed diligently on the wooden table right in front of us. “It may be YOUR Ocarina, but I found it.”
Ivy giggled. “Luna dear, play nice. We should give them a chance. They are the Guardians of all the Lands and all.”
“We sort of need it, if you haven't found that out already.” Lee remarked sarcastically.
“It's the only thing that can temporarily stop the destruction of this realm until we get to Ganon.” Link added.
“I know, I know,” answered the playful vampire. “There's only one problem. Luna lost it, out there.” She pointed to the window revealing the woods in the background. “If you want the Twilight Ocarina, you have to be able to face your biggest fears. For that is what appears to you in the Twilight Woods.”
 
“Unfortunately, I've noticed.” I coughed.
Nozomi smirked. “The good thing is: I know these woods like the back of my hand. Plus, now that we have Emiko, our team is even stronger. Truthfully, after facing that overgrown snake, these woods are like a playground.”
“They've gotten worse.” Ivy interrupted, gazing straight into Nozomi's eyes as if she knew that statement would trigger her to want to go out there even more.
 
“There's only one way to stop it, then.” Emiko said overhearing our conversation. She grabbed the weapon I saw earlier and put her hair up in a ribbon.
 
We all gazed at the winged item.
“So…is that thing a boomerang?” Nozomi commented.
“Indeed it is.” Emiko smiled. “But not your ordinary boomerang. Being able to hit multiple enemies at once comes in handy, especially when you can control the wind at your command.”
“I bet.” Aiko sighed back, smiling. This girl definitely was beginning to show her true self. The life of a princess must be hard, always have to show yourself as someone who you may not be on the inside.
 
“Well, what are you hogs waiting for?” I grunted at Lee and Link, still shoving their faces at the table. “You won't be of any use once you weigh more than the earth itself, we'll have to roll you both around.”
With a glare, we all headed back into the woods from which we came, into the shadows of the mystical and mysterious Twilight.
 
“If I were an Ocarina, where would I be?” I murmured as we paced along in the golden darkness.
“I doubt that thought will help us, Aiko.” Lee answered.
“Oh shut it. It's just a figure of speech.” I replied back, rolling my eyes.
Ivy turned around facing her back to the way she was walking. “Such a pretty night, huh Luna?”
“Yeah, considering it's always sort-of night.” Luna answered mockingly.
 
A sort of peace overtook us as we walked through these magical woods, and before I knew it, I saw something faintly shimmering in the distance.
Nozomi glanced at me in the same response and hopped over to the target. `This was waaay too easy.' I thought to myself, watching her bending over to pick it up. Something wasn't right though; I noticed the quiet sound of breathing from around me as the twigs crunched beneath her feet.
 
“Hey, did you find it Nozomi?” Link called from the distance. Before she could reply, Nozomi was abruptly rising above the ground at a fierce pace.
 
“What the…hell is that thing?!” I shrieked, looking up to see a massive green dragon; with Nozomi standing helplessly between its eyes.
“Not another freaking dragon!” She whined, balancing herself and grabbing the Ocarina quickly.
“It's an earth dragon.” Ivy replied. “They're normally nice creatures, but something tells me that Ganon's powers have already reached it.”
 
With the desired object in hand, Nozomi tried her way at jumping off the creatures head. Slowly she began to climb down the side, but it began to move, and before we knew it, it started to fly in a rage.
“NOZOMI!” Link and the all of us stared hopelessly as the dragon took off into the sky. She continued to clutch the Ocarina in one hand, and the dragon's giant scale in the other, and closed her eyes as she elevated into the clouds.
“I should have never gotten out of bed that morning, I knew it!” She huffed.
 
“Gale boomerang!” The gang and I looked at Emiko as she echoed into the night.
Out of the blue, a giant gust of wind began to cycle around them, locking the dragon in one place. Nozomi peered down and saw Emiko standing directly below her, catching the boomerang as it swiftly flew back to her hands.
“Hold on tight to the Ocarina, Nozomi!” She shouted, throwing the boomerang once again, this time it swung around her rapidly, pulling her off of the dragon and into the air in a tunnel of wind.
“Nozomi!” I hollered in concern.
 
Falling to the ground, Link caught her, as we watched the surprised creature fly off into the horizon.
“Well, that's something you don't see everyday…” Ivy commented still looking into the sky.
“You be surprised.” Lee laughed.
 
“That wasn't exactly my idea of fun. When I said I liked heights, I meant ones that don't involve giant lizards with wings.” Nozomi pouted, jumping out of Links arms and holding up the Ocarina.
“Well at least that didn't turn into a missing persons report, thanks to Emiko.” Link replied.
 
“Yeah, I had no idea that little thing could do that.” I laughed nervously, scratching my head.
`Thank God I didn't walk over there first' I thought thankfully.
“It comes in handy every once in awhile.” Emiko smirked, tucking it back into her sash.
 
Ivy stared at the mystical item. “So, I guess it's yours now.” She retorted, patting Luna on her shoulder. “I want to see you use it, though.”
“The Melody of Twilight. It should come naturally to you as you hold that ocarina in your hands.” Emiko rejoined.
Nozomi held the instrument to her lips, and started to play something. We observed as the enchanting tune suddenly got louder, until it echoed throughout the lands. The wails of the creatures soon joined in with the song, until gradually the music stopped.
 
I looked around me, fireflies. A bunch of tiny fireflies fluttered around me and the others, a sign of peace restored. Nozomi and I giggled, chasing them around as Jin and Kazu joined us in the moonlight. Safety was restored to the Twilight, at least for now. Although the realm was still disappearing, it now had that same aura of peace I remembered it having years ago.
“So, it's true.” Ivy commented peacefully. “You guys are the key to restoring these worlds order into place as it once was.” Her eyes; now more subtle, glowed in the darkness. “I guess I could show you something as a sign of gratitude, then. Something I think that all of you would like to see before you headed out on your next mission.”
 
“What's that?” Link implored, still in a half-daze from the magical event.
“You should know by now, to just follow me.” Ivy uttered with a grin, as she began to walk to the opposite side of the woods. Lee signaled us to follow as she led us to a small pond located on the edge of the forest lines.
“Looks like a pond.” Emiko blinked, staring at the structure, trying to make out something special from it.
“Really?” I joked, putting on a serious face. “I would have never guessed.” I giggled, tapping her shoulder in a jesting manner as she rolled her eyes.
“It's indeed a pond, but if you look closer, it's also a shortcut.” Ivy disclosed, pointing in the depths of the water.
 
Lee knelt down and peeked through the waters reflections. “She's right, there's a tunnel inside.” He remarked.
I joined him. “Oooooh I see!” I exclaimed. “Where does it lead?”
“That's for me to know, and you to find out.” Ivy asserted, looking over at Nozomi maliciously. “Be my guest?” She whispered.
 
I giggled slightly at the sight as Nozomi sighed with a grin. “Paybacks a bitch.” She shook her hand and thanked her. `She remembers this path… I remember her always wanting so badly to go through it.'
On sudden impulse, she kicked both of us into the water, and then pulled Link and Emiko in with her as it glowed magically. We all were pulled through the current and into the tunnel, then came out the other side.
 
Lee and I rejoined her at the top, gasping for air.
“I'm going to…KILL YOU!” I barked, attempting to dunk her into the water as Link held me back from drowning her.
“Stop acting like four year olds and look where we are.” Lee replied, looking out into the familiar area as Nozomi re-emerged from the water again with a beaming smile.
“Huh…?” Link looked around the forest. “It's…The Lost Woods.”
 
We all crawled to shore; Nozomi and I twirling around our home of so many memories.
“Remember that one time Nozomi got lost in here for the whole night; and we all were too scared to tell anyone, so we filled our blankets with leaves and went searching for her?” I giggled.
 
Link raised an eyebrow. “I remember that! And we finally found her in the meadow. When she saw us, she tried to beat us all up because she thought we ran away from her.” He laughed.
“But in reality, she ALWAYS got lost in there without any help from us, so we didn't even have to try? Yes, I remember that.” Lee added with a smirk as she stared at all three of us evilly.
 
Nozomi changed the subject. “Not as funny as when we were playing truth or dare and we got Aiko and Link to run around the village all day screaming, `We're the green goblins!' After every sentence they spoke.”
Lee laughed at that last statement. “That was even better, they got grounded for a week and we had to sneak them out at night.”
 
“Sounds like all of you hold this place close to your hearts.” said Emiko. “And now, you have to protect it as well.”
 
“Yeah, now all we have left is our reminiscing…” I mumbled, smelling a flower I had picked from the bushes.
“Can we stop by and say hi to everyone?” Nozomi questioned the group.
 
Link let out a breath. “I don't think that would be the best idea, Nozomi…we don't want to get attached and then have to leave right after we get there…we still have a lot of land to cover around this world.”
I nodded solemnly in agreement. “…So, where do we go from here?”
“Something tells me that we should head back to castle town.” Emiko replied. “Because, I can sense it. Someone there can tell us where to go next.”
 
“Who is that?” Nozomi asked, blinking her eyes in confusion.
“I think I might know who she means…” I interjected. “Remember that medium lady? Well, her visions were right until now, and the bad side of her story is what's next….If the good side was true, we better go and see exactly what we're up against for safe measure.”
Lee shook his head. “I still can't believe you guys are putting your trust into that old lady.”
“Why shouldn't we? She was right until now!” I countered.
 
Nozomi raised a finger. “And if we just chased out the spell from the Twilight Realm…where do you think it's going to go next?”
“Well, it has two options.” Emiko replied. “It can go east, or it can go south. East leads to the Ethereal World and South leads to…”
“Huh?” I turned my head to the side at her sudden hesitation.
“…South leads to Lake Hylia. And something tells me that if you got a bad report from that lady on your luck, that's definitely where it's going next.”
 
“And this Lake Hylia…that's where the Water Temple is going to be?” Lee summed up her enigmatic statement as she answered with an intrepid look upon her face.
“How long is gonna take to get there?” I asked ringing my hair out to the side while a puddle dripped beneath the blonde mass. Nozomi shook hers out like a dog running her fingers through her hair and Link did the same.
“Less than a day's journey if we take a shortcut” Emiko answered drying her hair gracefully. Lee was squeezing the pond water out of his cap as I agitated his locks childishly, causing him to retaliate in a small battle of his cap and my hand.
 
“A shortcut?” Link intervened, “what kind of shortcut?”
“In the waterfall of the Zora's River lies a hidden domain that belongs to the Zoras. They helped my people before and graciously created a pass for any member of the royal family to enter and visit them” Emiko explained
“Well it doesn't sound dangerous” Nozomi shrugged stretching, letting the sun soak her half dry scalp carelessly. “I'm in for the lazy way. No flying snakes or crazy shit like that”
“Ditto with Nozomi! We can finally get a break!” I exclaimed rushing over with Nozomi hugging Emiko, “Pleeeease! You don't understand, we have to work tirelessly under the orders of those two tyrants!”
 
“WHAT?!” Link and Lee inveighed vehemently as Nozomi stuck out her tongue, “You've got to be kidding me?!” We both snickered jokingly at our little charade as Emiko covered her mouth daintily laughing along. She smiled enthusiastically, Nozomi and me clapping with Lee and Link still glaring at us from the joke.
“In that case a shortcut it is!”
 
- - -
 
“Where did you say this shortcut was again?” Link panted hauling the supply bag over his shoulder alongside the dirt covered path.
“It's just a little further this way” Emiko goaded the group, attempting to cheer us all up with false hope, but Lee rolled his eyes setting down the sack of stock.
 
“You said that this morning when we left Kokiri Village” he protested, “Seems to me like we've been circling the same patch of field for the past hours” Nozomi and I leaned over our knees as she puffed for breathe whilst I massaged my calves.
“He has a point Emiko” I added, making eye contact, “We have been traveling for quite sometime now, and I don't think we've gained any since this afternoon”
“Mmmm, my legs hurt” Nozomi whined as Kazu jingled about her head with Jin and the other fairies.
 
“I'm sorry you all. I truly am, but this is the shortest way I know to get there. I wouldn't lie to you!” Emiko apologized empathetically as we grimaced and nodded in acknowledgement. We knew she wouldn't deceive us like this, so we continued to move on, but the fairies were swarming still.
 
“Tatl, come here, we need to pick up and get going” Lee commanded his fairy, but she ignored his demand by avoiding his grasp. He raised an eyebrow at her behavior and all of us noticed this strange occurrence. Navi started to do the same and shook, bells ringing from her madness, Link trying to calm her. Something was terribly wrong.
“Navi, what is it?” Link questioned with worry in his voice, cupping the small creature in the palm of his hand, “what's going on guys?”
“I-I don't know” I stammered in shock at what was happening, “Jin?” But Jin was fine, and so was Kazu. Nozomi and I exchanged puzzled looks as Emiko tried to cast cures on the fairies to dispel any magic on them.
 
“It's no use; there's nothing magic wise wrong with them” she shrugged stressed at the boys nerve with their faries.
“It's their chemical balance” Kazu interjected, “Something in this area or atmosphere is causing them to go berserk”
“Well then why isn't it affecting you Kazu?” Nozomi wondered, soon being cut short by Jin bouncing about with heed.
 
“Hey!” he grabbed my attention, “There's an arctic breeze coming from Zora's River…can you feel it?” I stood in place for a second and as quickly as he pointed it out, a chill sent the hairs on my body stiff.
“Ah! You guys, did you feel that?” I announced as the rest of the group waited for my next reaction.
“Ai…honestly what are you talking about? This isn't exactly a great time for jokes” Lee argued sternly sheltering Tatl.
“Oh—Aiko! I felt it! It's coming for over there!” Nozomi's finger tip pointed towards a deep entrance to what looked like a stream.
“There!” Emiko yelled, “That's Zora's River! Follow me guys”
 
Suddenly all of us were sprinting behind the new coming princess across the water, splashing up upon one another in haste. Jumping across the edges and grass to rocks and logs, we weaved through Zora's River and hedges easily, avoiding enemies along the way thanks to Emiko's boomerang and my arrows. Finally, Emiko stopped in front of a large tangle of narrow rock beams crossing a waterfall. Without hesitation, she commenced the climb up the tremendous stone rafters as Nozomi and I trailed close behind with Link and Lee bringing up the rear in caution.
 
At the last rock, Emiko situated herself over a small square inscription beneath her feet, drawing the ocarina from her pouch. As her lips touched the tip, a soft melody swept through out the entire river, calming everything it touched: people, creatures, and even nature. When the song was complete, the waterfall slowed down and an entrance appeared inside behind the diminutive flowing water. She winked back at us to prove that she wasn't playing around when she was saying it's a `royal shortcut'.
“How…what was that?” Link issued as Emiko leapt from the stone to the entrance, signaling us.
“Zelda's lullaby” She answered holding out a hand for Nozomi, jumping nimbly to the opposite side with Lee following, “It's a family tune that the Hyrulians have played long before my sister and I were born. Supposedly its notes soothe anything in a path causing every creature to obey the whim of the song”
 
Link seemed fascinated as I bound across the water, Lee helping me up waiting for his brother to join them.
“Well” Link concluded hurdling last, “we can cut out the supposedly part” Emiko grinned at his understanding and interest in the topic.
“Great, then let's go” She lead the way yet again into the cavern, which was growing quite chilly. I shivered slightly as Nozomi breathed, seeing the steam rise from it.
“Something's not right…” Lee spoke up. As soon as he said this, everyone turned the corner seeing the Zora's Domain or what it once was.
 
The whole cave dwelling was frozen solid with no water; not even Zoras were present here.
`Lee was right' I pondered rubbing my arms, `there's something strange going on'
“Helloooooo!” Nozomi shouted, her voice reverberating between the ice and boulders. No answer. Emiko hopped down onto the ice that was once a large pool.
“I guess nobody's he—“ She was curtailed swiftly being hit by a tremendous wind, knocking her into us, toppling over one another. Link groaned sitting up with Nozomi piled on top of him and Emiko rested against her. Everyone's legs intertwined in a tangled mess as Lee pushed me off of him.
“What the hell was that?!” He growled discontent.
“Look! Up there!” Kazu called, flying near the solid waterfall.
We all gazed up at the waterfall Kazu was directing our attention to. At the top of it, there was an opening and a passage guiding back.
“So what, it's another cave. Big deal, that doesn't answer my question” Lee quarreled with Nozomi's fairy.
“Hey! There's a light coming from up there!” I said. Sure enough, in the back of the corridor, a glowing substance was flickering against the shadow of the walls. It was a fire.
 
“Oh thank god” Nozomi murmured jolting forward to the waterfall, Kazu above her head in counsel.
“Nozomi, where are you going?” I hollered, trying to keep my balance on the icy floor, but failed grabbing Link's sleeve.
“To find out how that fire got in this frozen prison” She replied drawing her sword and jabbing it into the ice to initiate her climb.
“I'm coming with you then” Link reinforced rushing to her side, pulling me along for a few seconds until I let go sensibly spinning around falling. As the two started to elevate up the waterfall, Emiko carefully made her way aside the icy surface to a rocky platform with what looked like a small shop carved into marble.
 
“Emiko” Lee echoed, causing her to glance our way to see our looks of confusion.
“I'm going to talk with the store owner to find out what's been going on, go meet the others at the top” She explained rubbing her hands together.
“Uh-uh! N-no way am I climbing THAT!” I shook my head violently, trembling with the frost catching up with me.
“There's a stairwell to the right, keep following it until you reach the King's Chamber. I'll find you guys, don't worry” Before we knew it, she was gone inside the stone. Lee sighed whilst sliding towards the edge looking for stairs. I followed obediently, my teeth clicking loudly as Jin nuzzled my neck for warmth.
“Yo: Chatterbox, are you going to be okay?” He mocked lifting himself over the side, giving me a hand. I nodded though, being as stubborn as possible.
 
While Nozomi and Link traveled their way up the waterfall heroically, Lee and I paced up the stairs. Both parties were heading for the same objective: Answers. Emiko walked inside the shop, dodging icicle stalactites as they fell before and behind her body. She stared around, sizing up the surrounding and comparing it to the Zora's Domain she remembered as a child. Memories started to come back into mind as Emiko was drifting into sweet nothings, shortly brought back into circumstances by a stranger's voice.
“Excuse me, may I help you?” She blinked alert, spotting a Zora in the wake of the counter. She bowed a bit humbly before introducing herself.
“I am the Princess Emiko, eldest of Zelda, and I am here on a mission. Is there anyway you can help?”
 
Meanwhile-
 
Lee jogged up the steps anxiously, craving the answers we all needed. Why were the fairies acting up; why was it only Link and Lee's? Where did this sudden weather change come from; what caused the wind? Who set the fire in the cave? He rounded the last turn with me far behind. I was trudging up the stairs, my shoulder rubbing raw against the cold walls.
 
“Aiko, we made it! Come take a look at this!” He announced, excitement rising in his voice. Finally, I reached him, grasping my arms with my little body heat connecting. I was about to complain about how he could have helped me, but my breath was taken away.
 
“Ugh…oof, we're almost there Link” Nozomi stated, her sword skimming the top of the waterfall as her head peeped over the border. Next, came an arm, then a leg. Soon a whole body of Nozomi's rose and Link's was in half vision. Panting, he threw himself on top of the ledge as Nozomi breathed on her hands.
“We…we made it…” He gasped, Nozomi stumbling up staggering towards us.
“Glad to see you two are alive” Lee remarked sarcastically. Nozomi rubbed her eyes in disbelief at what her vision showed her. Too taken for words, she pointed at the waterfall, then at us, and back at the waterfall. Lee replied simply with pointing back at the staircase leading up as I rushed up the side steps to the image that caught my attention.
“Great…”she mumbled massaging her temples as Link trailed beside her, “why didn't I just drown myself in that case. Oh no! Wait! We can't; it's all frozen!”
“Don't count yourself un-lucky just yet Zomi” Link disrupted her self punishment.
“What's that supposed to mean?” She responded irritably, but Link grabbed her head and turned it in the direction I was staring.
 
“Woah…” she exhaled in awe. What was once the King was no more. In place was a large red crystal cocoon with the Zora King trapped inside. I was already chipping at it with my daggers, hoping to break the shell.
“Don't just stand there! We have to do something!” I yelled as Nozomi agreed dashing to his aid while Lee and Link were close on her heels. The four of us sliced, tore at, and tried to break the crystal, but it was no use.
 
“This isn't working” Link alleged sitting back taxingly on his rear.
“This was definitely caused by magic” Lee observed, making Nozomi's ears twitch at the word.
“Speaking of magic…where's Emiko?” She asked Lee and me.
“YOU GUYS!” a familiar voice chanted inside the waterfall cave.
“That's Emiko!” the whole group got up alarmed and sprint to the end of the edge, almost slipping as we stared down at the bottom. Waving her arms in warning was Emiko.
“WE NEED TO LEAVE NOW, HURRY!” she cried.
“What is she talking about?—“
“Jump!!!” Link broke out pushing us all over the edge avoiding the chilled gust that hit us before. It went right over our heads while Nozomi and I screamed clinging to one another as we plummeted towards the ice.
 
About to impact the surface, we closed our eyes, but Lee zoomed past us, his fist glowing orange and red.
`What is he doing?'
“…Din's FIRE!!” Suddenly a bright flaming dome emit from his hand, crashing against the rime as it melted instantly. He smiled at his feat upon the ice, Link landing next to him.
“Lee!” I shrieked gathering their stares at Nozomi and I.
“Gale Boomerang!” Emiko shouted throwing her boomerang with a strong burst of air to suspend our fall for a few more seconds. “We need to swim down into that small entrance. It'll take us straight to the Lake” Emiko strapped her gear tightly ready to dive in. While doing so, Lee noticed her tying a small pouch to her belt.
“Here” Emiko tossed a pair of metal boots to Link, “Clang Iron Boots, you'll go faster” She caught her boomerang, and when she did a blur sped right past her, splashing deeply into the freezing water, “Let's go”
 
Bubbles emerged all around me as I opened my eyes, the arctic liquid stinging my retina. Nozomi motioned to swim down and I nodded, my cheeks puffed up like a chipmunk with oxygen. Swimming towards the tiny hole in the wall, we heard the ripples and spatter of Emiko and the boys diving after us. The dark closed space called an escape grew closer, and knowing me: I don't like dark enclosed spaces. For a moment I hesitated as Nozomi went ahead with Emiko swimming beside her, then gathered up the small amount of courage I had to tag along. As I was after her though, something whacked me hard in the back of my head. Air that was once trapped inside my mouth fled desperately, a red trace of water flowing past my eyes as Link floated on by casually.
 
I saw his feet kicking unusually slow, noticing the iron clang boots he received from Emiko just then. I touched the back of my skull curiously fumbling through my hair for the sore as Nozomi and Lee's hands dragged me towards them. It seemed like forever, but in a moment's time, we immerged, gasping for breath. The Gale Boomerang current and the melted water rushed out, pushing the rest of us to the grassy land mass. Link raised himself on land, assisting Emiko and Nozomi as well. Nozomi pulled me up, hacking and groping my head as Lee pushed me impatiently.
“What the…shit” I whimpered.
“What's wrong?” Link questioned redundantly sitting up.
“I'm bleeding” My fingers withdrew with blood dripping a little from the tips standing up. Something soft hit my face as I lifted it off my nose to see Emiko passing out blue tunics like the red fire suits from Death Mountain.
 
“Wipe it away with that” She suggested
“Why do we need this?” Nozomi examined the clothing, stretching it out in her arms, “there isn't going to be extreme heat like the Fire Temple, right?”
“We need this to breathe underwater” She explained, “Seeing as it is the Water Temple and all” With a witty smile, Emiko made her way heading towards a cozy shack. “We might be able to change in here” Dilapidating with a patched roof, Nozomi gazed at the tower suspending from the top as a shingle tumbled downward, barely missing Link. They pushed open the door with an eerie creak and dim lighting shading across the wood floors. Inside meandering was a creepy old man studying a jar with some sea creature inside, muttering to himself. However, that's not what caused Nozomi to halt in mid walk. Sitting in the corner with her feet dangling over a crate was the old woman from earlier.
“It's the Oracle!” Nozomi whispered loudly, her elbow digging into Emiko and Link's chests.
`It's the what's it called…me…me…medium!'
“Oh great, it's the crazy ol' hag” Lee smacked his forehead as Link rolled his eyes laughing ironically.
 
“I had a feeling that I'd see you children here…” Rasped the medium in her usual voice from before, as she rose from her seat. “So, did you take my advice and follow my prophesy?” She was holding a strange charm; beads dangling down from what looked to be a symbol of the triforce powers.
“Well, actually…” I began, trying to think of how to sum up all of our past experiences since we last saw her. “We…-
Did meet new people, and they did aid us on our journey!” Nozomi interjected excitedly, pushing me to the side a bit in her enthusiasm.
“…But nothing else you said has happened.” Lee announced, finishing our mixed reports as Link gave a half-witted laugh.
The lady started to laugh merrily at Lee's previous notion. “Well of course dear, your journey has yet to become, yes…?” She asked in a rhetorical way, this time holding an outstretched arm towards us, the charm in hand. “And that is why I think it is best for me to pass this artifact down to you brave youths…”
I gave a closer stare at the mystical-looking object as she handed it over to Link. It had a sort of luminous glow, but in the same way it seemed as if it held something much deeper than it appeared to.
“That looks…familiar…” Nozomi inspected, grabbing one of the beads. “This is the symbol of the goddess Farore…”
Link nodded. “It has one for Din and Nayru as well.”
The woman smiled. “I am in hopes that this object, passed down from the ancient goddesses of the Triforce, will bring you as much luck as it has brought me. It is rumored that this charm gives its possessor the traits of Courage, Wisdom, and Inner Peace…”
Emiko glanced at the object from the back of the group, striding up to it in sudden awe. “That is quite impressive… As much as I have learned about the goddesses, I never thought that they had handed something down to anyone else except the castle and sages...”
As Link positioned the gift in his rupee pouch, Lee had remembered our previous decision on attempting to see if the lady could tell us what to expect at our next destination. “Also, we were wondering if you could use some of your…um…magic to acknowledge us about the path of our next …dispute.” He remarked, giving hand gestures to show his skepticism in the matter.
“That is for me to know, and you to find out.” Laughed the medium. “I cannot allow myself to give everything away to you, or else your expectations would be set too low, and you should never take these deeds lightheartedly.” She spoke, directing her glance now at Nozomi and I as we smiled innocently.
 
 
“What was that supposed to mean?” Nozomi prodded me as we walked to a clear area to help set up the camp while the boys gathered firewood.
I set out our supplies and spread our knapsacks on the ground beside her. “Either she's been stalking us, or she thinks that we're not prepared for the next temple.”
“I'm going to go with the second theory.” Emiko laughed nervously on the side.
Nozomi smirked. “Well then. I guess that means we'll just have to go and see for ourselves.”