Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ Link ❯ Prologue Part 2: Panic ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Authors Note: Ok, this is the second part to my story. This really isn't my favorite part and I had writers block the majority of the time I wrote it but I did my best. ^^ This will probably make more sense in the next part.
 
Also! I'd like to say thank you to MissMyrtle360 for editing my story! Shes a good friend of mine and inspired me to write my own fan fic. She's an amaaazing writer and she has a few fan fics of her own. I recommend you read Swept Away: The Life and Times of a Girl Pirate and Twisted roses. Both are wonderfully written and very good! I love them both! They are both Harry Potter fan fics. So Harry Potter fans, if your looking for a great fic to read, read those. ^^
 
Well, thank you so much for reading my fic. I hope you enjoy!
 
Prologuepart 2: Panic
 
Two guards stood still as stone as Saharry passed. Cautiously glancing at each one, she followed her way through.
 
Music was playing and the town was in major chaos. She watched the citizens of Hyrule hustle about with grocery goods and rare items. The auction houses had opened and shouts and yells could be heard from the bidders.
 
It was a rather violent part of town. Children ran around like little uncontrollable animals. Men and woman of all shapes and sizes hurriedly bought the items they needed throwing rupee after rupee to the shopkeepers.
 
A crowd of Hylian's made their way across the cobble-stoned sidewalks, meeting up with old friends and family. Others were around the local bar drinking and smoking at their will.
 
Beyond the village lay the castle and there lived the princess.
 
Saharry had always longed to live the life of a princess. She wanted extravagant and luxurious things and to always be waited on hand and foot. Besides, if she were the princess, she would actually show her face once in a while.
 
No one knew what the princess was really like. If she showed herself at all, it would usually be on horse back with her caretaker, Impa. She was such a mysterious and rather rude girl - she never even showed her face to her own people. Saharry felt she'd make a better princess then her.
 
Saharry shook her head to snap herself out of the daydream and turned away from the castle, admiring the markets energy. She loved Hyrule market, and once she set foot here, she never wanted to leave.
 
Her first destination was the food market.
 
A jolly man named Uncle Byrn owned the food market. Every one loved him, even the dogs and cuckoos. He was a heart-warming man, and the best cook in Hyrule.
 
As Saharry made her way to the shop across town, she noticed it seemed more crowded then before. “Everyone must be out shopping today,” she whispered to herself.
 
Saharry gazed up at the sign above Uncle Byrn's food shop, not noticing that a young girl was running straight towards her.
 
The girl collided with Saharry. She was startled and confused as she looked up at the red headed girl whose curls framed the sides of her tanned face. She had a perfectly formed body and beautiful, innocent, emerald eyes. Everything about her seemed exhilarating and elegant. She turned around to look at Saharry, dropping something as she did so.
 
Saharry caught a glimpse of it as the girl turned around swiftly to snatch it back. It was a glittering gold hairpiece with pink lace around its edges.
 
The girl glanced at Saharry then, ran away with lightning speed. “W-wait!” Saharry called, picking up the trinket. She tried to catch up with the girl, but she was too fast.
 
Suddenly a mob of Hylian guards rushed passed her, knocking her over. “Where do you think you're going?! What were you doing sneaking around the castle?! You have no right to be here!” One of the soldiers yelled.
 
Saharry watched the scene as she lifted herself back up, grasping the golden hairpiece tightly in her hand. This must be really important to her,she thought as she stared at the hairpiece with interest. I'llmake sure to give it back to her later. She smiled thoughtfully, then frowned. She hoped the young girl wasn't some kind of pesky criminal.
 
“Comin' in, Saharry? A familiar voice asked. Uncle Byrn was holding the store door open for Saharry to wander in.
 
The shop had a musty smell of meat to the right and a sweet sugary smell to the left. It was the tidiest shop in town with walls that looked like creamy frosting. Everything here was delicious and professionally made. Saharry always smiled at the passing children's eager faces as they stared into the enormous window across the room.
 
Slipping the gold hairpiece into her purple coat pocket, Saharry smiled at Uncle Byrn. She made her way to the front counter as Byrn picked up several brown boxes off the floor.
 
So! What's it ya' need to be gettin' today? He smiled as he hoisted the boxes above his shoulders. Saharry was amazed. “And where's yer devil of a brother this evenin'?
 
Uncle Byrn was always so peppy and happy all the time. Usually Saharry and her family would come here and get free delicious food from Uncle Byrn because of what little amount of rupees they had. He was, after all, the most famous chef in town and made tons of money through his shop. Why wouldn't he be so happy? But on top of that, he was the most generous man in town and the most acknowledged.
 
Koujiuhsent me to buy more food because he burnt our supper at home.
 
So he sent ya' out here on yer own now, did he?” Uncle Byrn said in his strongest Irish accent. Saharry nodded. “Well now, I think I got a special treat for ya' herenow where did I put it…?” Byrn scratched his head while searching behind the counters. He gave a hearty laugh then pulled out a large frozen turkey from a white crate in the corner.
 
Saharrys eyes lit up. It was massive! Her smile grew wider as she jumped up and down like a little kid who just got her first ice-cream cone. Thank you so much, Uncle Byrn! She exclaimed. Kouji will be so happy!
 
Uncle Byrn gave his famous chuckle as he patted Saharry's head with his giant hand. He lifted his brown leather hat off his oily dark hair to wipe the sweat off his forehead. “Glad ta' be of service to ya'!” He winked. Well, I best get back ta' work. Have a safe trip home, Saharry, and don't be gettin' in ta' any trouble.
 
Saharry nodded and picked up the heavy box containing the turkey off the counter, unhooking the clear rubber straps to carry it around her shoulders. She waved goodbye to Byrn and thanked him as he saluted her. She smiled, then turned to leave.
 
Oh! She yelled, whirling back around. Wait! I forgot to pay! I can't keep getting food for free all the time, right? She frowned, digging into her pocket to pull out the rupees Kouji had lent her.
 
Uncle Byrn turned toward Saharry. Ah, don't be botherin' with it, lass. I got it covered. He smiled blissfully. It's my special treat for ya'.”
 
Saharry smiled back, showing all her pearly white teeth, then sobered when a thought entered her mind. UmUncle Byrn? She began, stepping to his side as he began to clean the counters.
 
What can I do for ya', Saharry? He asked.
 
Did…did you see my mother at all today? She wondered with hopeful eyes.
 
Ah! Yes, I `ave, Saharry, now that ya' mention it. Matter a' fact, she jus' came in a short while ago. She's got a beautiful smile. He said, his eyes staring off dreamily. “Jus' like yours. He tapped Saharrys nose gently.
 
Saharry smiled and thanked Byrn once again as she slipped out the shop door and back out into the crowd with the heavy box on her shoulders.
 
I have to get this to Kouji before it goes bad,” she said to herself. ButI wanna find mother first…” She hesitated and pondered the thought. “It won't take long,” she concluded.
 
Saharry skipped happily down the road with the box of meat wrapped around her shoulder. As she neared the gate, a tall man in white clothing bumped her shoulder, causing her to drop the wrapped turkey. He seemed to be heading toward the gate.
 
She hurriedly picked it up before anyone saw it and brushed her shoulder off. A dog began to sniff Saharry's light brown boots and whined. She impatiently pushed it away, thinking it wanted her food.
 
Shoo, stupid dog,” she mumbled, irritated.
 
Saharry looked back over at the man in white clothing and figured that if she got close enough to him, she'd be able to see what he was up to.
 
The little dog followed as Saharry carefully and slowly knelt down and crawled behind the guard post near the gate. She peeked around the corner to get a closer look.
 
She noticed that the man's white jump suit had an orange rabbit symbol on the left shirt pocket. He wore brown sandals and a large yellow bracelet around his wrist. The pale, skinny man held out a letter toward the two soldiers at the gate. Saharry realized that he must be the postman, the only one in Hyrule who delivered mail once a week.
 
Thank you…” The solider said with an unsure tone to his voice. The other guard walked next to the one holding the letter. He lifted his helm as the postman jogged away, eager to deliver the rest of his letters.
 
Both of the solders had a look of terror upon their faces as they read the letter carefully. They looked at each other, then one of them called out to the watchtower to close the gate. Saharry gasped and ran out of her hiding space. The little dog yelped.
 
No! No! Stop! What are you doing? I need to get back home to my brother! Stop! She yelled.
 
The guards all lifted their helmets for a better view of the girl. I'm sorry, young lady, but we can't let you out. The guardsmen hesitated and looked deeply into Saharry's blue eyes with grief. Hyrule is in danger. We'll be under attack in a matter of minutes. The king had sent this letter telling us that no villager is to leave the area. The soldier standing next to the one with the letter looked at him as if he shouldn't have told such a young girl this information. He continued. I'm very sorry you have to hear this, but don't worry, we will all be okay, so stay calm and don't startle the villagers.
 
Saharry's body grew tense and her heart began to race. What was going to happen? Was she going to live? What about Kouji?
 
He doesn't even know about it! She thought. I have to find mother!
 
Saharry turned around almost immediately, hearing the creaks and squeaks of the old wooden gates as they closed. As she raced down the streets of the village, nearby dogs began to yelp and bark and the sky began to turn gray, threatening the village with either rain or snow.
 
Saharry pushed forcefully through the crowds, all the while yelling for her mother. Mother! Where are you?! Mother! The people around her looked indignant at her shrieks. A big lady and her dog passed, by glaring darkly at Saharry. After being given that look, Saharry lowered her voice and tried her best to calm herself.
 
Mother! She called one last time. She looked around her and searched every part of town. A raindrop fell suddenly upon her tiny nose. It began to sprinkle.
 
Saharry lifted her hands and felt the water wet her mittens. Villagers unsheathed their umbrellas and began to walk home while others stayed where they were, hiding from the rain under brightly colored awnings . Children jumped barefoot through the newly formed puddles. Saharry scanned her surroundings, desperately hoping her mother would soon turn up.
 
She has to be here somewhere. Uncle Byrn told me she was…” She breathed.
 
After what seemed like an endless search, Saharry stumbled upon an old woman in dark clothing holding an umbrella for a beautiful young woman. The young woman's hair was light auburn and she wore what seemed to be a yellow shawl over a maroon colored dress. That had to be her mother! She saw her in bright clothing this morning!
 
Saharry raced for the young woman, completely out of breath.
 
Mother! She shouted, running into her mothers back. She squeezed her tight as if it was the last time she'd see her.
 
Saharry darling? Her mother was startled and confused. What are you doing here all on your own? She knelt down beside her daughter wiping Saharry's newly fallen tears away from her rose colored cheeks. What's wrong sweetheart? She asked with a concerned look.
 
Mommy, you have to listen to me, please! Saharry shouted anxiously. Hyrule is-
 
Such a pleasant day out, isn't it Lelia? An old hunched back woman with a long purple shawl wrapped around her neck and a green basket around her arms interrupted. She was an ominous and eccentric-looking woman with long, straggly hair and a red rose pinned to her apron.
 
She wandered limply over to Saharry's mother.
 
Lelia rose to her feet. Well, Gertrude it's, um, raining…” She laughed a bit and then smiled faintly with discomfort.
 
Mother! Saharry shouted again.
 
Umsweetheart. Lelia began. She leaned into Saharry's ear. Please let me talk to this nice lady. She's been helping me out with my shopping today. I'm very pleased with her. So please give me a few minutes, honey, and we'll talk later. She smiled a brighter smile. Her cheeks were almost as red as her daughter's.
 
Saharry shook her head as her eyes widened. She couldn't believe this was happening. Hyrule was in grave danger and her mother wanted to take her time and talk to an old woman who was practically dead?
 
The strange woman took her mother by the hand and complimented her on her brightly colored dress. Saharry's mother was pleased. They both slowly began to stroll down the cobblestone pathway towards the castle. The old woman turned her head and narrowed her eyes at Saharry over her shoulder, smirking.
 
It was completely intimidating. Saharry was very disturbed by the sleazy look in the old woman's eyes. She knew that she wasn't good at heart, but she couldn't stand there like an idiot and watch her mother walk away from her, so she followed them hastily.
 
Mother! Please! You have to listen to me! She yelled.
 
Her mother turned around immediately, confused by Saharry's outburst. Okay, okay honey, what's so important, sweetheart?” She knelt down again and brushed her silk hands across Saharry's cheek. It felt so reassuring.
 
I -“
 
You know, it's really rather rude to interrupt grown-ups when they're talking, young lady,” the old hag said wryly. Saharry glared angrily at the woman. Whoever she was, this woman was suspiciously trying to stop her from saying what she needed to tell her mother. The smug expression on her face didn't help matters.
 
Lelia stood up. Oh, I almost forgot to introduce you Saharry. This is Gertrude, sweetheart. I met her a while ago at Byrn's food shop. Lelia gave a warm smile.
 
Saharry grew anxious but curtsied before Gertude.
 
Pleasure,” Gertrude said darkly. Her nose wrinkled as if she had smelled something foul.
 
Mother, please! Saharry broke from her curtsy and grabbed her mother's arm. Listen to me! She shouted, ignoring Gertrude's renewed look of disapproval.
 
“That's no way to speak to your mother! Gertrude barked angrily. Now run along and play while your mother and I have a grownup talk. She snickered in a satisfied way.
 
Um, it's okay Gertrude. It's perfectly fine. Uh, honey…” Lelia hesitated. I'll only be another minute. Her soft voice was too much. Saharry began to shed tears. She didn't want this to be the last time she heard her mother's voice.
 
No! Hyrule is going to be under attack! Mommy, please! We need to go find Kouji!” Saharry wiped her little eyes and her stomach began to feel queasy.
 
Gertrude looked startled. Nonsense. The old woman chuckled. Hyrule hasn't been under attack in years. And it will never happen again,” she replied quickly.
 
Saharry's mother winced at the thought Nowwait a minute Gertrude,” she began softly. She knelt down again to Saharry's height and put her baby-soft hand on her daughter's shoulder, appeasing her whimpering. “Where did you learn this, sweetheart?
 
Saharry continued to whimper as she looked into her mother's soft eyes. The guards at the front gate got a letter! I saw them today, mother! They said no one was allowed to leave the castle grounds or village until it is safe to do so. Mommy, Kouji doesn't know! She yelled fearfully. Again, she wiped tears from her eyes.
 
Gertrude tried to be convincing as she crossed her arms. Oh, I'm sure it's nothing.
 
No...if Saharry says it's true, then it is. Lelia said, ignoring Gertrude's remark and standing up to look toward the closed gate. I need to leave, Gertrude. I'm sorry. It was a lovely evening. She lowered her voice. AndI don't want to take any more chances…”
 
The old woman had a look of malice upon her face. Flames lit up in her eyes.
 
Mother? Saharry asked as her body shook with fear.
 
Saharry, please stay here with Gertrude. I need to get your brother. Lelia's gentle look made Saharry want to follow.
 
Mother, no…” Saharry whispered, trembling. She reached out her arm and touched her mother's hand. You can't leave me, mommy,” she cried in a childish voice.
 
I promise I'll be back,” Lelia said reassuringly. She held Saharry's hand gently before walking away.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
Lelia rushed through the crowd and stopped at the gate. The guards turned her way. They were still holding the letter.
 
A soldier dressed in white uniform walked toward her confidently with a smirk on his rugged face. What can I do for ya', beautiful? He flirted as he leaned his hand against the brick wall. Lelia clenched her fists then grabbed the man by the collar of his shirt, forcefully pushing him against the closed wooden gate.
 
I demand that you to open the gate this instant! She exclaimed.
 
Silence swept over them for a moment. Then the solders burst into a powerful laughter.
 
Are you kidding me, lady?! Haha! You'll get killed out there!” He laughed harder as Lelia held his collar tighter. Besides, it's the king's orders! The men breathed deeply as their laughs subsided.
 
A feeling of resentment swept through Lelia. She was going to get out of here one way or another. Her eyes narrowed. Then let me die,” she whispered softly enough for only the one guard to hear.
 
He swallowed hard as his eyes grew fearful.
 
Y-yes ma'am,” he stuttered. “Uh - uh - open the gate, men! He shouted. At first they thought he was joking, but when he shot a serious look to the man next to the lookout tower, he nodded and shut the door behind him.
 
Even though the gaurds were risking their jobs, they knew that the beautiful woman in front of them wouldn't take no for an answer.
 
The gate creaked slowly open, revealing the silent fields. Everything looked dead and a majority of villagers stopped to watch the scene. Lelia loosened her grip and let the guard go, then slowly walked across the mote as the gate fully opened. She then burst into a sprint and ran desperately away from the castle.
 
In the mean time, Saharry watched teary eyed as her mother sped away, dropping her box of meat. She didn't want to stand here and do nothing, so she attempted to take off after her mother.
 
Gertrude reached her bony arm out and wrapped her long, narrow fingernails around Saharry's wrist, pulling her back. No darling, it's too dangerous for you to be running off like that. Your mother will be fine. Stay here with me, where you'll be safe. Her pointy nose leaned against Saharry's cheek as the old hag covered her mouth to keep the little girl from screaming.
 
Gertrude laughed like an old witch, smirking in a satisfied way. Saharry struggled with all the strength she could muster, but her screams were merely muffled.
 
Stop struggling, you little rat,” Gertrude said in her hoarse voice. She gripped Saharry's wrist tighter.
 
Saharry broke free from the hand on her mouth. No! Let me go! She yelled.
 
Meanwhile, the guard that had been captivated by Lelia's beauty walked towards an empty crate near the castle fountain facing the crowd of villagers. Somehow, the word was out that the great Ganandorf had returned.
 
Here ye! Here ye! The soldier cried, raising his arms in the air. Everyone stay calm and listen to my words! A crowd of nervous people huddled around the guardsmen, trying to calm the crowd.
 
Gertrude snickered as Saharry squirmed. She wrapped her bony fingers around the girl's mouth again. Shut up, girl,” she hissed.
 
There is no need for panic, my fellow villagers! This is only a precaution. Our information isn't always correct, so calm down and search for a temporary shelter. I promise, we will all be safe! The guardsman backed away and let his arms fall to his sides. Saharry watched him.
 
He seemed very dubious about what he had warned the villagers about, as if he knew something that no one else did.
 
The soldier walked back to his post and remained in his stone like position.
 
Panicked people hurried to find shelter. Everyone broke out in worry and frightened conversation as they gathered all their loved ones together to hide for the restless night. Children were crying, men and women were yelling for their friends and family, packing up all their belongings in case they were evacuated. One little old woman was calling for her little dog in the corner of the entrance to an alleyway.
 
Saharry struggled harder, then kicked Gertrude in the shin, effectively breaking free and running as fast as she could through the crowds of panicked people.
 
Gertrude screamed in agony, hopping up and down and holding her little leg in anguish. Get back here! You - you - ARGH! I hate being old!” She cussed under her breath in Hylian.
 
Who is that ladyand what does she want with me? Saharry thought to herself as she raced toward the wooden gate.
 
She was worried something might have killed her mother already. She had nothing to protect her and she didn't want it to end this way. A worried expression appeared upon her face.
 
The gate that had been left open began to close again. Saharry was just about to make it through when a guard grabbed her by the hood of her winter coat, pulling her back. Where do you think your going, huh?
 
Let me through! Saharry fought hard, but the guard held tight.
 
Oh sweetheart, come to grandma! Gertrude had a fake, disgusting smile on her wrinkled face. She slowly limped toward the guard. Oh, thank you for finding my baby! She hugged the guard, her little old body pressed against the man's chest. He looked confused.
 
Is this your grandchild, ma'am? He asked, politely pushing her off.
 
Oh yes! Come here darling! Ohhh.” She hugged Saharry tightly.
 
Saharry couldn't stand this anymore. I don't even know you! Get off me! She kicked her in the same spot and broke free. Gertrude wailed again. The birds in the trees flew from their nests as panic still covered the village.
 
The soldiers attempted to grab Saharry by the arms but failed. She slipped free and raced for the closing gate. She kicked a nearby guard in the stomach and began to cross the gate across the mote. It was so steep that she ended up climbing the boards instead. It was almost half closed when Gertrude recovered, attempting to do the same as Saharry.
 
The young girl held on tightly, praying she'd make it to the top without falling.
 
Come back here! Gertrude yelled angrily. You won't escape me, girl! I need you!
 
Saharry didn't understand what she was talking about, she searched for words that made sense. Crowds of people stopped what they were doing and watched the scene in horror.
 
A little girl is climbing the closing gate! One villager yelled, pointing.
 
And that little old lady is too! Another one exclaimed.
 
The people watched in awe at the scene taking place before them. Saharry was inches from the top.
 
The soldier in the watchtower spotted the little girl climbing the gate and panicked. He slowly began to reopen the gate to let her down.
 
Saharry screamed, slipping as the gate jerked downward. She held on tightly, closing her eyes. Then opened them to Gertrude's alarmingly ugly voice.
 
The old woman reached out toward Saharrys leg. If I weren't so old I'd have you in no time!
 
Saharry gave everything she had and pulled herself quickly over the edge, falling a few feet from the top.
 
No! Gertrude yelled. She slipped down to the cobble stoned street again. The Soldiers raced to her side. This wasn't supposed to happen! Get away from me!” She yelled, pushing the guardsmen away from her.
 
Saharry fell directly on her side and closed her eyes as a twinge of pain thundered through her right arm. Her wrist cracked. She winced but picked herself back up again. She fought back tears as she began to run.
 
How could mother leave me with that-that woman! She thought to herself.
 
She ran without stopping and without looking back. The only thing she saw as she held her wrist gently was the phoenix she had seen earlier. It sat watching her in a dead tree next to the forbidden woods staring with sharp eyes. It was smaller close up and its body was oddly colored. It spooked her a bit but it wasn't her concern at the moment.
 
This was a moment she'd never forget. She needed her family and she needed them more then ever. It was all she had now and looking at the dead, white fields everything seemed to stand still. Something was wrong and everyone knew it.
 
Her life was changing by the minute
 
 
Authors Note: Ok, so part three is coming soon so please bare with me! I'm not exactly happy with the first two chapters since their pretty rushed but I did my best! It will start getting interesting next chapter I promise. ^^
 
~*MoonBell*~
.