Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ Link ❯ Prologue Part 3: Death ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Authors note: Ok, so I was so busy with school it took me forever to post the last part of the prologue. I promise, it won't be this slow once the summer hits.
 
This part also gets a bit interesting. Like I said, the prologue was the most boring for me.
 
Chapter one is currently being edited and will eventually be posted. Thanks for reading my story. Its difficult but I think it's coming along quite well ^.^
 
Prologue part 3: Death
 
 
The wind was howling and a light, icy rain began to fall. The soil was soft from the blankets of puddles that covered the earth. The trees seemed to whisper an eerie song of warning.
 
Saharry had no time to think and no time to look back. She hastily stepped over branches and rocks. Trying to avoid anything that attempted to stand in her way, she called anxiously to her mother hoping to hear an answer. Her wrist throbbed in pain and she began to cry silently, not just out of fear and pain but also out of the sudden shock of her young life falling apart before her eyes.
 
As she neared the center of the woods, Saharry heard an ear splitting scream. She jumped at the sound, then raced unconsciously faster and prayed it was some kind of ugly creature and not her mother. The thought left her with a twisted feeling in her stomach.
 
Icy cold Tears streamed down Saharry's freezing cheeks as she struggled through the obstacles of the woods. Rain that looked like small, white toothpicks falling through the trees. The scream continued to echo through the silent air until time had stopped at that very moment.
 
Saharry's run turned into a slow walk, then she stood still…
 
Her eyes fell upon something she would only see in her nightmares. She clenched her fists tightly against her sides. It felt like the life was completely knocked out of her. She could no longer move. The sight was unbearable. Her stomach was queasy and nothing seemed to make sense anymore. She wanted to die at that very moment.
 
Saharry collapsed to the ground, hoping among stars this wasn't real. She wanted it to all be a bad dream and make herself disappear. She continually shook her head with her hands over her eyes, praying she'd wake up.
 
Saharry's hands slowly fell from her face and she looked up at the body that lay lifeless and frozen on the forest floor. Tears continued to streak down her rosy cheeks. Her face was frozen from the cold wind and her body was paralyzed from shock.
 
Her mother was dead.
 
This place was dangerous but Saharry couldn't bring herself to leave because the person she loved most dearly had a new resting place now.
 
“Why? How?” She whimpered, crawling on her knees and snuggling her head into her mother's chest. She gripped her mother's bloodied shawl and cried harder.
 
An eerie silence crept over the forest warning her that Hyrule was no longer a safe place.
 
“Mommy…please…please wake up. Tell me your ok, come back…you promised…” She whimpered, her body trembling.
 
She slowly lifted her head off her mother's chest staring at the blood that thickened the mud underneath her knees. Saharry fought back more of her tears.
 
“I have to warn Kouji. I have to be strong.” She whispered, her voice cutting through her deafening silence.
 
She stumbled to her feet trying to be as brave as possible as she moved forward slowly. Her body was tense and weak. She turned her head away from the dead body and began to run, telling herself she wouldn't look back.
 
 
The clock on the kitchen wall clicked and ticked as an unusual silence filled the house.
 
Saharry should have been back by now. Kouji looked down at the newspaper he was reading to pass the time. I hope I wasn't too hard on her, he thought regretfully.
 
He sighed, lifting himself up out of the kitchen chair to make himself a second cup of tea. As he poured the hot liquid into his cup, Kouji felt a rumbling beneath his feet.
 
The pictures that hung on the wooden walls shook and the tea in the teapot vibrated. Then the rumbling stopped, leaving the only sound a whisper of the icy wind.
 
Kouji's eyes widened and he began to shudder.
 
“What was that…?” He whispered to himself.
 
A large thud hit the ground in the other room.
 
Kouji put the teapot down and inched slowly toward the hallway. His body continued to shake as he peered around the corner.
 
Maybe its just Saharry trying to scare me he thought anxiously.
 
Sweat began to trickle down his forehead beneath his messy, jet-black hair. His heart pounded as sounds of abnormal footsteps dragged around the floor behind the closed bedroom door. “That's Saharry's bedroom…” He whispered cautiously.
 
Kouji's eyebrows tightened as he neared his sister's room. The thuds of footsteps became louder and more threatening as if the unknown figure knew Kouji was nearby.
 
Kouji knelt down to peer through the brass keyhole. He saw nothing.
 
The house was still too quiet and awkwardness filled the air. Theres something here that isn't supposed to be He thought.
 
He looked around the room through the keyhole making sure it was safe, his sweating hands propped against the door.
 
What's in there?
 
Kouji moved against the door and an immense yellow eye with black furry eyelids appeared before Kouji. Alarm filled his body, as he stood there unable to move.
 
“Shit-“ He cursed.
 
The creature behind the heavy door roared with fury, clawing viciously at the wood. Kouji backed away almost immediately. His heart raced more rapidly. He yelled, backing up against the wall in the hallway.
 
The door was, by then destroyed and a tall, man like, wolf emerged from the shadows. It roared an inch away from Kouji's face, throwing saliva all over his clothes. The dark beast lifted its heavy claws in the air and thrusted its arm toward Kouji's quivering body. He dodged it and ran down the hallway back toward the kitchen, finding a fire had started on the stove near the teapot.
 
Smoke filled the isolated room and screeching bats appeared out of nowhere beneath the sofa knocking over lamps and the portraits on the wall.
 
“What the hell is going on?” Kouji bellowed. “This can't be happening!”
 
From behind him, the wolfo panted and drooled, yearning for a taste of human flesh.
 
Kouji turned around startled for a moment and backed away toward the front door and around the flaming fire.
 
The door already seemed to be broken from its rusting hinges.
 
He pushed down the busted door and climbed over the wood as fast as he could. The wolfo howled and began to break the furniture that still remained standing.
 
 
Kouji stormed down the porch steps and looked around to see if he could spot Saharry anywhere, but he saw nothing.
 
“I have to find her,” he told himself anxiously. He grabbed a bulky wooden stick to use as a temporary weapon.
 
How could this be happening again, no one is ready for this. Hyrule will be up in flames without any trained soldiers fighting back for our land. It isn't safe anymoreand there's no one who could possibly help. Saharry isn't even old enough yet…it's too soon Kouji's mind raced as he made his way through the snow into the woods.
 
His lips turned purple from the icy winds. The sleet that fell from the sky grew heavier and as Kouji looked behind him he saw his family's house burst into red flame.
 
Ganandorf's minions tore it apart.
 
He stood there for a while as if he wanted to say goodbye to all of the memories that burned away into ashes.
 
“I'm sorry father…” He whispered softly.
 
He then turned, leaving his burned possessions behind.
 
 
 
Saharry ran as fast as she could, whimpering in fear.
 
Kouji, please be okayshe thought worriedly. I'm almost there!
 
Saharry glanced up to see the light shining through the wet, glistening leaves. It began to rain harder and a light mist covered the frosted ground. She made her way over the broken rocks and sticks being careful not to trip.
 
Suddenly, a roar was heard above the trees.
 
“Who's there?!” Saharry shouted, slowing down to see if she could hear any answer. “Please tell me who you are! I need help!” Saharry wasn't quite sure if that was a good idea. There couldn't possibly be someone alive other then herself in these woods.
 
She shivered a bit then slowly and carefully walked forward.
 
After walking only a few feet, a giant object fell from the trees and landed in front of Saharry on all fours.
 
It was heavy and must have weighed at least six hundred pounds. It had evil, heart wrenching eyes and enormous needle sharp teeth. Its dark, furry face was inches away from Saharry's, scaring her half to death.
 
A black wolfo stood before her. She had never been so close to one before and she had always prayed never to be. She felt trapped and figured this was the end of it all. At least she would be with her mother now.
 
The wolfo snorted in Saharry's face and a warm breath of wind pushed back her long, brunette hair. She was too petrified to move or even scream.
 
The wolfo surveyed her carefully, sniffing every part of her body. Saharry quivered and shook. It took one whiff of her sprained hand and it roared wildly with powerful force, as it smelled her blood, swinging its claws up in the air dramatically. They looked like five silver daggers flinging outward from its skin.
 
It gave a few almighty roars and plummeted its thick hand toward the floor, targeting Saharry's head.
 
This was it, the end of her sad, short life.
 
Saharry covered her head, and just before it struck her, it stopped, issuing and only a faint growl above her.
 
She was careful about opening her eyes, relief washing over her as she did.
 
From behind the beast emerged Kouji, panting, as he let down a splintered piece of wood that stretched across the wolfo's head. Saharry gasped.
 
“Kouji! You're okay!” She shouted, running to him with open arms.
 
He dropped the stick and the wolfo thumped to the ground, leaving only an echo reverberating through the woods. He grabbed his sister and held her tight.
 
“The wolfo is only unconscious. It takes more then a stick to destroy these things,” he informed Saharry. He continued to hold his little sister in his arms.
 
“I thought you were dead too!” She cried burying her nose into her brother's corduroy jacket.
 
“Dead too? What do you mean by that?” He asked questioningly.
 
Saharry let go of Kouji and began to cry a little more. She wiped the tears off her chin then looked down avoiding eye contact with her sibling.
 
“Where's mother…” Kouji whispered. He got to his knees lifting Saharrys chin with his finger. “Tell me…what happened?” He asked softly.
 
Her face was dead. The tears seemed to stop and she looked at her brother with sympathy.
 
“Mother...um…”
 
“Go on…” He waited for her to answer.
 
“Mother's dead, Kouji…” She sobbed then held her brother tighter then ever. “She was killed! Probably by that wolfo!” She cried.
 
Kouji couldn't believe it. She was gone, and now he was left with Saharry to take care of alone. Not only that, his mother died on the same day his father had. It was December 18th. The very same fateful day the king of thieves had destroyed Hyrule's pride many years ago.
 
This was planned, Kouji thought, his eyes narrowing. Saharry buried her face into his jacket again.
 
“I'm so sorry, Kouji!” Saharry shouted. “I didn't know it would happen!”
 
Kouji held her tighter, comforting her as best he could. The icy ground stung Kouji's knees as he listened to everything she had to say.
 
Saharry told him the story from start to end and now Kouji had to get Saharry out of here before anyone who was looking for her found her. Kouji knew someone was after Saharry.
 
“Saharry…listen to me, we have no time. Our house was burned down by Ganandorf's followers and they aren't far behind. We have to find a way to escape, I need you to trust me,” he said in an urgent tone.
 
Saharry released her arms from Kouji's embrace as he stood up, wiping the snow off his knees. “Escape where?” She whispered.
 
“Don't worry, I know what I'm doing.” He said as he grabbed Saharrys right wrist.
 
“Ow!” She yelled.
 
“What?”
 
“My wrist!” She cried.
 
“Did you injure it?” Kouji wondered with a gentle look in his tense eyes.
 
“Yeah…I forgot to mention that part. I hurt it when I tried to escape. I went off to find mother then tried to warn you and I-I tripped,” she lied. “Kouji! What's going to happen to us!?” She yelled, changing the subject.
 
Kouji pulled Saharry close. “Nothing, I promise. Now, lets get out of here. Just stay close to me and you'll be alright,” he told her. He began to pull her through the weeds and fallen branches.
 
“Wait!” Saharry yelled pulling back on Kouji.
 
“What!? We gotta go, Saharry!” Kouji said in a frustrated voice.
 
“We can't go that way…I can't see her like that again.” Saharry closed her eyes as more small tears rushed down her little neck.
 
“Okay…” Kouji promised softly. “We'll take the other path out.”
 
Saharry sighed in relief as she followed Kouji down the new and unfamiliar route.
 
 
Time passed slowly and walking through the woods for a third time around was getting tiring. Saharry wondered where Kouji was planning on taking her.
 
“You okay?!” He yelled over his shoulder at her.
 
“I'm fine.”
 
“Good,” Kouji sighed. “Where almost out…just about ten more minutes and we'll make a run towards the Kokori woods.”
 
Saharry nodded.
 
“I'll get you out safely, Saharry,” he whispered reassuringly.
 
As they neared the edge of the woods, Kouji and Saharry had noticed dark clouds swarming overhead. The rain turned into a light sprinkle and the ground was muddy and wet.
 
Sounds of sharp swords clanging together with painful yells were heard from a distance.
 
“What's that sound, Kouji?” Saharry asked visibly worried.
 
“I'm not sure, but it doesn't sound good.”
 
They both ran further ahead. Kouji suddenly grabbed Saharry by the hood and pulled her behind a boulder near the bushes, telling her to keep quiet.
 
They both sat still and stared out into the dead grasses of Hyrule field. It was burning further away and the dark smoke polluted the air.
 
“Kouji! The village and the fields! They're burning! Kouji! Everyone's dying! We have to do something!” Saharry cried.
 
“Shhh! No! We can't! Do you want to get us killed? Those beast-men aren't far behind us. We have to move quickly!” Kouji searched behind him to make sure no one was following them.
 
“Look!” Saharry pointed with wide eyes. “Who are they?”
 
Kouji squinted into the cloudy night. An army of women on horseback could be seen from a distance. They were dressed in orange and red Arabian clothing carrying arrows and swords around their shoulders and backs. They all at once raced for the castle shouting and yelling.
 
“They're the Gorudo thieves. The great Ganandorf's followers as well. They come from the desert, from the southwest.”
 
Saharry looked up at Kouji, putting his hand in her own. Kouji watched the scene with shame and grief. The flaming field reflected in his eyes.
 
Saharry was terrified of the noises she heard from behind the castle walls. Men and women screamed in pain, swords slammed against skin and shields, and the roars and powerful shrieking could be heard from creatures Saharry couldn't name. It was the first time she was in the middle of a war against the Gorudo king and Hyrule. Everything her little eyes took in were horrifying and mind splitting.
 
The sound of death, sorrow, and despair filled the air. The people of the village were either dead, or still fighting for their lives.
 
The dark army of thieves raised their mighty arrows, flinging them towards the gleaming moonlight, Fires ignited at random, and the soldiers of Hyrule fought hard for their land once again.
 
Kouji closed his eyes, to take in the horror forcing him to recall a terrible memory from his past. The man known as the King of Thieves showed himself again. There was no doubt that he had returned.
 
Kouji opened his eyes and set them on Saharry.
 
“Okay, listen to me. We have to go…” He whispered. “We're going to make a run for the Kokori, woods okay?”
 
Saharry nodded, and at the count of three the two took off towards the woods, exposing themselves to danger.
 
The river ahead of them rushed with speed through a tunnel to the left of them. There used to be a bridge that lead to Hyrule castle but it was now destroyed and Saharry was a bit hesitant at this point.
 
“Kouji! I can't swim!” Saharry cried over the shrieks and yells throughout the field.
 
“Its okay! It's not that deep! You can stand!” Kouji shouted as he held her left hand tightly. “Trust me okay?” He smiled gently then lifted her into the water. “The currents are fast, but I got you!” He assured her.
 
“Everything will be okay!” Kouji said, his breathing becoming heavier as he struggled across the fast moving currents. Saharry held on tightly, trusting her brother like she was told to. She only had hope for the best.
 
Saharry's lips turned blue and purple. The water was freezing.
 
They made it to the other side, and Kouji lifted Saharry out of the water.
 
“Okay, the Kokori woods are that way!” He pointed. “All we have to do is make a run for it!” Kouji turned to Saharry and held her firmly. “Don't cry okay?” I'm right here!” He shouted.
 
They continued to run as fast as they could through the deep snow. The woods were in view and they had almost made it when a gunshot was suddenly heard from the distance.
 
“What was that?!” Saharry yelled.
 
A young woman raced through the darkness. She was shooting out beneath Hyrule Castle Town's front gate.
 
Her long, flowing blonde hair shimmered in the moonlight and Kouji had noticed a worried yet determined look upon her pale face.
 
She appeared to be riding violently on horseback and carried a small boy that looked a little bit older then Saharry tucked beneath her arms. She wore a long black cloak with a plain dark dress underneath.
 
She was riding across the fields toward the same woods Saharry and Kouji were headed for.
 
The woman turned to glance at Saharry and Kouji then continued to focus on her riding. She rode straight into the Kokori woods unharmed.
 
“AnnaBella…” Kouji whispered to himself.
 
“Kouji? Who was that?” Saharry asked.
 
“Huh? Oh! No one! Let's just go Saharry!” He yelled in reply.
 
He pulled Saharry into the middle of the field and ran toward the woods as fast he could.
 
Saharry smiled as they edged closer to their destination. She knew they would soon be ok. This really wasn't the end like she had thought it would be.
 
She stayed close to Kouji.
 
The war still raged on violently and people continued to fight for their lives under the cloudy night sky. All that could be seen was the fire and moonlight that stretched across the land.
 
“Ha! How pathetic!” A voice was heard a few feet away from the young siblings.
 
“I know that voice!” Saharry shouted as they slowed to a stop.
 
They looked around to see if anyone was nearby. “Who's there?! What do you want?!” Kouji shouted, protecting Saharry from an emerging figure in the firelight.
 
An old woman with a walking stick and a green woven basket stepped from the shadows. She crackled with malice in her voice. She wore a sheer smirk upon her face. It was Gertrude. Saharry wondered how a woman like her could escape such a battle.
 
“I'm so sick of being so old. It took me forever to catch up to you two,” the old woman complained, huffing and puffing. She smirked evilly at the two children.
 
Saharry stepped behind her brother clutching his sleeve. “Kouji, that's the woman I was telling you about,” she whispered. Kouji's eyes narrowed.
 
The old woman stepped forward and reached out her hand. Her nose wrinkled when she smiled and Saharry noticed her unusually bushy eyebrows plastered above her eyes. She looked worse in the reflection of the fire.
 
“You should know better then to run from me little girl.” She snickered in her hoarse voice, then looked up at Kouji putting her long four-inch nails under his chin.
 
He yanked himself away. “Don't touch her or I'll rip you to pieces.”
 
“Oh? And how may I ask do you plan on doing that boy? Hm?” Gertrude back up and spread her arms like a hawk. A sudden puff of smoke filled the air. Saharry hacked and coughed and Kouji lifted his hand to cover his mouth, squinting through the mist to see what had just happened.
 
A young woman that looked no older then nineteen or twenty emerged from the smoke. She had wavy jet-black hair, heavy makeup, and a thin figure. She wore a tight leather skirt and vest with long zip up boots. She carried daggers in both hands as well. A blood colored jewel hung around her smooth neck.
 
“You-you're Gertrude?!” Saharry shouted with disbelief. Kouji backed her away.
 
“You really are simple aren't you? That was just a pathetic disguise for me, since I'm so well known around these parts.” She giggled. Her body lifted off the ground with great speed and teleported in front of Kouji. He was startled. “My name is Marlina,” She winked. “Looks like I've finished my mission. You're mine, Saharry.” She exclaimed darkly.
 
“What are you talking about?!” Kouji exclaimed.
 
“Well,” she began. “I won't take her just yet. I want to play a game.” She circled around Kouji. “Its called watch a loved one go to a better place.” She smiled. “Don't worry Kouji…you won't feel a thing.” She swung a dagger threateningly.
 
Kouji staggered back.
 
“No! You can't! Please don't do that!” Saharry yelled as tears welled up in her eyes. “I won't let you!”
 
Marlina glared threateningly at Saharry, lifting her hand. She shot a ray of green light toward the girl's shoulder, pinning her to the icy snow. Marlina snickered as she violently grabbed Kouji's neck. He couldn't breath.
 
“No…” Kouji exclaimed weakly. “Saharry…please…run!”
 
“I can't!” She shouted. “I won't leave you anyhow!”
 
Marlina ignored her and pushed Kouji against the cold floor, She cackling in enjoyment. She sat on Kouji's chest, her hands still strangling him. She raised her bloodied, sparkling dagger in the air. Her eyes turned red and her laugh unusually echoed throughout Hyrule.
 
Saharry broke free from the spell of light and rushed toward Kouji and Marlina.
 
“Get any closer, girl, and I'll stab him more then I intend to.”
 
“No! Please!” Saharry cried. She wanted to run to Kouji and hold him. She felt helpless and scared, but she didn't dare move.
 
“Go…Go Saharry! Run away now!” Kouji shouted. But she didn't run. She didn't know what to do.
 
“I can't leave you here. Not like mother!” She yelled.
 
“Shut up! One more word from you, boy, and you'll perish!” She squeezed his neck tighter. Kouji choked. “You should be more worried about yourself right now.” He tried to fight back but she was much too strong. It almost felt like she was made of heavy metal.
 
Marlina turned her head to Saharry. “As for you, little girl, we have plans for you.” She glared.
 
From a distance, a dark horse rode through the fire. A large man in metal armor was upon it. He traveled toward the siblings and Marlina.
 
“Ahh, there's your ride to paradise, now Saharry,” she said sweetly.
 
Kouji's eyes widened as he partly turned his head to see what was coming. “No…” Kouji whispered in fear. “Saharry! Run!” He choked.
 
“No! No! I won't! I won't!” Saharry screamed.
 
“Saharry! Please go! They aren't good people!”
 
“Shut up!” Marlina stabbed the dagger into the ground next to Kouji's face, causing him to jump at the threat.
 
The man on the midnight black horse rode swiftly toward Saharry. She tried to run but it was no use. He snatched her off the ground, throwing her to the front of the horse. The metal armor clanged as she listened to her brother's yells.
 
“No!” Kouji shouted after Saharry. He couldn't move. He couldn't reach her. He tried desperately but his body was numb.
 
“Kouji!” Saharry cried, reaching toward her brother.
 
She was now in the arms of an evil man. No words could describe him, and Saharry didn't know who he was. All she knew was that the last of her family had been taken away by this man and there was no turning back.
 
“Saharry!” Kouji cried.
 
A single tear rushed down the both of their faces.
 
As she struggled to see beneath the mans arms, She found Marlina raising her dagger high above her head. She plummeted it toward Kouji's heart.
 
Saharrys eyes widened as tears welled up in her eyes. She screamed. The man took his pale olive hand and placed it tightly over Saharrys mouth. She began to cry with panic. Her world was spinning in circles.
 
Snickering, the man's dark eyes glowed a bright red beneath his helm. She was surely in the arms of the great thief Ganandorf everyone so often gossiped about.
 
He had taken her away from the people she loved, never to see her home, family, or friends ever again…
 
Oh, the shame that bestowed Hyrule that day. If only time had stopped at that fateful moment of a loved one's death.
 
 
 
End notes: Woohoo! The prologue has ended and I'm quite happy. Link won't appear for a while but don't worry he's coming. ~_^
 
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the prologue even if it was just a little bit. Please keep reading!