Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ Link ❯ Three Years Later ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Authors Note: I'm so sorry this chapter took so long. Actually, I wrote two more chapters that are currently being edited so they will be up soon. I've been extremely busy so I apoligize for that.
 
Anyway, this chapter is the first chapter of the story now that the prologue is finished. The story has a lot of characters I created in it, especially in the first few chapters. Link doesn't appear till around the 5th chapter possibly. I wrote up to chapter three so I'm getting there. I can tell you that all the characters from the Ocarina of time are in it, so don't panic. I added on to the story and changed it a bit but the plot of Link defeating Ganandorf is still the same. The areas they visit are also the same. I came up with this when I was young and I know it will be a lot to try to understand throughout the story but I hope you enjoy it anyway. =)
 
Chapter 1: Three Years Later
 
It had been three years since Ganandorf decided to show himself after his great escape. It had a horrible ending. Thousands of soldiers had died and Hyrule never was the same again. Demons and monsters prowling the grasslands dominated most of Hyrule, so traveling was dangerous. Even so, the people of Hyrule had coped well with the changes. The market was rebuilt, heavier security was issued, and people learned to go about their day with caution and vigilance. But Saharry never was able to enjoy her time in the lands of Hyrule nor visit castle town anymore. Her life now consisted of work, work, and more work. Although, she didn't quite understand why she was kidnapped if all she was going to do was…well, work…
 
In her time of service, Saharry had developed more then she expected. She is more of young lady now and very beautiful with her long, brunette locks and her fair, sun kissed skin. Taken by the king of thieves that fateful night, she was imprisoned in a cell for almost a year when she was finally old enough to be crowned as one of Ganandorf's official servants.
 
Rule number one of the fortress: All young girls at the age of twelve may become a loyal and trusting servant to the great and most wonderful king Ganon until further notice.
 
Saharry suppressed the urge to vomit at the thought.
 
Rule number two of the fortress: All young women are to have only two meals a day consisting of bread and water. Soup will be served on Wednesdays. Any complaints will be disregarded.
 
Saharry almost threw herself off the cliff into the ocean from reading that one.
 
Rule number three of the fortress: If you are called by either Ren Greenstoke or Roy Isaac you are to obey at all costs and see the king immediately!
 
The rules were plastered on a wooden post in the corner of a hidden alcove. Saharry figured it was put there so someone could break a rule without noticing that there were any at all.
 
The last rule, well, wasn't exactly a rule. Someone by the name Nabooru had posted it.
 
Nabooru: DON”T SCREW UP! If you are to fail at your work or slack off, consequences will be met! You will answer to the king as punishment!
 
Saharry was bewildered that they defined Ganon as King. The truth was that he was not. He was an evil bastard that liked to flaunt his power above all who watched, and if you didn't watch, then you're forced to. It was a pain and it was cruel, but this was Saharry's new life and she got quite used to it by the time she turned fifteen.
 
For after three brutal years of labor Saharry was renamed “Girl” and “Servant”. Every time Ganon showed his pathetic face to the crowd of young girls who were kidnapped and forced to work like men, she wanted to blast a hole in him with her eyes.
 
Rumors said that he took only girls because he was planning to be some kind of sicko and “do them all in”. Other rumors claimed that he was planning to create an all male kingdom where men made the rules. But that still didn't explain the Gorudo fortress being dominated by female thieves. Others figured since he lost his attempt to retrieve the triforce years ago, he was looking for the next piece and would only be willing to set the girl that had the triforce free.
 
Then there was the thought that the girl who owned a piece of the triforce would be captured and slaughtered so he could be one step closer to controlling Hyrule. And that rumor was the one that was widely talked about and believed.
 
Many girls hoped among the goddesses that he would find that girl so they could all one day be set free. They had lived here so long that they became so isolated in a land containing miles of desert sand. It was always ridiculously hot, and the only source of water was the ocean that leads to who knows where, and a well that contained supposedly fresh water for them to drink. Water was fairly limited because of the amount of people that drank from it. Basically they were all miserable and had dreams of seeing Hyrule once again.
 
The environment wasn't as bad as the socializing was. Most of the girls didn't get along and others kept their distance ignoring each other. They lived their lives in an invisible bubble. It was a you-cross-my-path-and-I'll-kill-you relationship amongst them. There were few girls that actually got along.
 
Every female had a partner with them and they lived in straw huts scattered across the desert sands. Saharry was lucky enough to have a loyal and outgoing partner. The only thing she had since she got here was someone to talk to, a best friend, it was something she never really had before. Her name was Corin.
 
Corin was the same age as Saharry. She was kind and fun loving and always seemed to make a rainy day seem like a sunny one. She was energetic and her mind was filled with curiosity. She could be described as a beautiful bookworm, if there was an odd way to describe her.
 
Corin quickly grew on Saharry and the two of them became best friends instantly.
 
They had met when Saharry was thrown in the dungeon as deep as twenty feet below. There was no way to escape and it was dark and damp. She was boxed into a sand pit with bars several feet above her head. She remembered the panic and the hurt it caused her. The feeling of being alone and scared. It took her hours to recover and she plopped down in the sand to wait for anyone to rescue her from this prison. A beautiful young dark haired girl emerged from the shadows minutes later, covered in shackles and chains
 
“Don't be afraid,” the dark haired girl whispered softly. “I'm sure you won't be here long.
 
Saharry's silent whimpers subsided and she watched in confusion as the girl lifted her scrawny body off the dirt floor and moved closer to Saharry. The chains clanked and jingled as she gracefully walked forward.
 
“Don't worry.” She began stroking Saharrys face while kneeling. “They won't hurt you. They just need to…borrow us…for a while.”
 
That last line made Saharry feel worse. Too stunned to speak, she let the girl take her in her arms to stroke her bronze, glimmering hair.
 
“You have beautiful hair,” the young girl complimented. “So silky and soft after all you could have possibly been through. You're lucky.”
 
Lucky? Saharry didn't feel the least bit lucky. She would be lucky if this never happened. She would be lucky if she could have escaped. She would have been lucky if her family was still alive. But she could never be lucky being here.
 
“Ganandorf may be an evil man, but at least he gives us food to eat and clothes to wear,” the girl whispered warmly into Saharry's ear. She continued to stroke Saharry's velvety hair. “My name's Corin. What's yours?” She wondered.
 
Saharry released a small whimper then sat up straight, her damp hair swaying across her chest. “I…I'm Saharry.” She wiped the liquid from her eyes and tried to smile but failed.
 
Corin smiled delightedly. “Nice to meet you, Saharry. I guess we're in the same boat, so let's be friends. I'll watch your back if you watch mine.”
 
Saharry hesitated as Corin held out her little hand to shake. “I-I guess I really don't have much choice, do I?”
 
“Hah, nope, I guess not.”
 
They both laughed exhaustedly.
 
For the rest of their time in the cell, the two were only allowed outside of their cell once a week. For the rest of that time, they lived in utter darkness until they came to be the age of twelve.
 
 
Corin was happier once they were released. She always made work and chores fun no matter what. Saharry couldn't remember ever seeing a frown on her pretty little face. Her hair was long and midnight black and her eyes were pure violet. She had smooth tanned skin and a perfect smile. She was like an angel from heaven.
 
Even though Corin was quite pleased with herself and others most of the time, Saharry wasn't sure if she was faking it or not. The reason why she thought this? Well, during the night Saharry was required to sleep on a pile of soft hay behind a shabby curtain. She'd listen to Corin cry tears of sadness. It wouldn't stop for hours later. It made her feel uneasy and she hoped Corin wouldn't feel entirely miserable the next day.
 
Fortunately, she never was.
 
Saharry never built up enough courage to ever question Corin's past or to ask why she always cried so much during the night. Instead, she kept it to herself.
 
Saharry was happiest when she worked with Corin. She'd watch as Corin tied her hair up with a pure white ribbon made of silk. It must have been something of value to her.
 
Corin was the risk taker and was extremely gifted in intelligence. Some nights, Corin would sneak from their hut and head toward Ganondorf's fortress to steal - or borrow, as they call it - books from his library and it read them on breaks, being careful not to get caught. Saharry was concerned about Corin's nightly trips across the desert grounds. At least, Saharry was relieved to know that she brought them all back the next night. So she wasn't entirely a thief.
 
When Saharry caught her sneaking out one night, Corin acted sincerely sorry and told her she needed to read something or life wouldn't be as exciting. Saharry sighed and let her go, but from then on Corin would ask Saharry to come along with her. When she turned her down, Corin would shrug and go off on her own. Saharry had to admit; she was a little worried about her, considering she was a close friend and all.
 
Every night they would tuck themselves into bed - since they were supposed to be asleep by ten - and talk all night about tons of different, creative escapes that they could hope to accomplish. And for once in those miserable years, Saharry didn't feel entirely alone.
 
During breaks, She would grab a bucket to collect apples and climb over the hill off to the East where the trees grew and the birds would sing. It was high above the ground and the breeze would cool her off. Saharry labeled it as her own secret spot. It was the only place known to man that any sign of plant life existed in the desert.
 
Saharry thought of it as a meditation spot. No one knew about it except for her and she was hoping to someday take Corin there as well. The view of the ocean was incredible and negative energy seemed to slip slowly away from Saharry's soul like a breath of fresh air whenever she was there.
 
What was in store for her? She couldn't help but wonder. Her life consisted of the hope of breaking free from her surroundings and one day run free through the lands of Hyrule once again.
 
 
“Hey! Rise and shine love dove!” Corin shouted.
 
Saharry could feel her breathing on her with a flashlight above her head, pointing it at Saharrys tired eyes. Saharry swished the flashlight away and sat up fuming.
 
“Get that thing away from me! What do you want?” She grumbled as she plopped her head back down onto her potato sack pillow. The flashlight found its way into her eyes again.
 
“Shhh, they'll hear you,” Corin hissed. “What tiiimee is iiiittt?” She asked in a singsong voice.
 
“Put that flashlight down Corin!” This time Saharry grabbed the flashlight out of her hands and threw it across the room, as she squinted through the morning sun that gracefully stained the walls. “Its not even time for work! The sun just started rising and we have at least two more hours of sleep!” She exclaimed angrily.
 
Corin giggled and put her hands delicately behind her back. She rocked back and forth shyly. “Weeell, I thought we could get a head start and have a break early Huh? What d'you say?”
 
Saharry slowly turned her body around to face Corin. She lay there, staring, for at least two minutes with an indecisive look on her face. Part of her wanted to fall back to bed and go back to sleep, but the other part of her couldn't get over Corin's brilliant smile. She reluctantly gave into the second part of her instantly.
 
“I have no idea what on earth your up to but if that's what you want to do, I guess I'll go with you,” she replied, raising her self slowly off her straw bed.
 
Saharry sighed and began to gather her work clothes and tools. She slipped on her dirty brown dress and tied her hair back with a black ribbon. Corin did the same, although the ribbon she wore wasn't as shabby as Saharry's.
 
Corin stepped outside to wait for Saharry, raising her arms in the air to stretch. Saharry wandered out of the hut as well with two shovels in her hand. She lazily gave one to Corin. Corin placed her shovel against the walls of their home, as well as Saharry's, and took Saharry by the hand, pulling her away from where they stood.
 
“You won't be needing that where we're going.” She smiled.
 
“But -“ Saharry was confused and looked back at her shovel as they walked away.
 
They walked a little distance and stopped near a cliff with a view of the sparkling ocean. The rising sun reflected off of the waters and the breeze was calm and warm. They sat upon a small cliff while Corin pulled out a couple of apples from her apron.
 
“Breakfast.” she said softly, avoiding eye contact with Saharry. Saharry looked at the apple curiously. “What? Take it. It's not poisoned.”
 
She held out her hand taking the apple, softly biting into it.
 
For a while, they ate in silence, listening to the ocean waves and watching the sunrise slowly on the horizon.
 
Saharry enjoyed the fresh morning air and enjoyed Corin's company. These kinds of moments were the ones that she wanted to record in her head and her heart. The kinds of moments that were so relaxing and precious that she never wanted them to end. This was moment number one.
 
“So…um…what exactly are we doing here so early? Saharry questioned, breaking the silence.
 
“Well, I thought we could take a moment and catch up on things and…uh…get in touch with our feelings?” Corin shrugged.
 
“Get in touch with our feelings?” Saharry asked skeptically, taking another bite of her apple.
 
“Well, yeah, I mean, we barely talk during the day because of work, and I thought it would be nice to, you know, come out here with you and have a casual conversation.”
 
Saharry stopped eating her apple and sighed. She knew something was up. “No you don't.” She threw the last bit of her apple into the sands below and stood up, brushing off her worn dress with her hands. “You're just trying to get me into a good mood. Your up to something,” She told her, crossing her arms.
 
Corin stared at Saharry for a moment then sighed. “Fine, okay, you caught me, Saharry. I've been so bored lately! I wanna do something fun and crazy!” She exclaimed, pushing herself off the ground and twirling about. “I've decided that you need to get out more. You're going to Ganandorf's fortress with me. You have to trust me! It'll be fun!” She shouted with hopeful eyes. She leaned against Saharry's shoulders, pressuring her to say yes.
 
“Yeah, and fun can lead to trouble. Do you even know what the consequences are, Corin?” Saharry asked, shrugging Corin lightly off her shoulder.
 
“No, but I bet you don't either. It's not hard to get in. You're thinking too far into this, Saharry. I want you to have fun and do something crazy. You'll feel more alive after you've completed whatever mission we cook up for ourselves! I guarantee you'll love it!”
 
“I highly doubt it, and we aren't cooking anything up, so you can drop that idea, Corin,” Saharry said coldly, walking away from her friend.
 
“Please, Saharry!” Corin shouted after her.
 
Saharry turned around and glared at her darkly. “Look, I've been planning an escape outta here since I arrived. I'm sick of you asking me and I'm not going to risk everything so you can borrow a couple books from his library! I don't want my life to end here, Corin, and you should be thinking about that too!”
 
Saharry turned away from Corin and sulked a bit, feeling rather guilty about raising her voice. “I don't even know why I'm here or what Ganandorf wants with us at all,” She said softly.
 
Corin walked toward Saharry and gently placed a hand on her shoulder. “No one does, Saharry,” Corin whispered. “But I don't want you doing the same thing everyday of your life. I want you to see adventure! I promise you, nothing will happen! I cross my heart on it!” She yelled excitingly. “It's not like I don't have a reason to be there Saharry. And -“
 
“You might wanna pipe down before you get caught.” An unfamiliar voice said from a small alcove in the cliffs beneath them.
 
It startled the girls. They slowly moved over to the ledge and peered over the cliff curiously.
 
Standing there was a boy who looked a year or two older then Saharry and Corin. Corin gasped and backed away from the ledge, closing her eyes tightly.
 
The boy had silver hair that reached almost to his shoulders. His icy midnight blue eyes created a strange contrast with tannish skin. He wore black thin leather armor with a long dark cape covering his back. Around his neck hung a red and gold pendant. He seemed to be very laid back and, in Saharry's eyes, was absolutely beautiful.
 
The boy walked out beneath the nook in the cliff holding Saharry's half eaten apple in his hands. He stared up at the girls with a serious look upon his face. He surveyed them carefully then watched Corin particularly.
 
“You're reckless, Corin. You were warned that if you did it again you wouldn't be off the hook. I'm not an idiot and I'm not your friend. Remember that,” His velvet voice was very intimidating.
 
Saharry looked with surprise at Corin. Her stomach seemed to bubble. Saharry clenched her hands together as her mind whirled. All she could think was Corin got caught? She lied? Corin never lies!
 
“You lied to me?” Saharry yelled. “You were going to drag me into it when you'd already gotten caught?”
 
“Saharry, I can explain!” Corin yelled pleadingly. “Please hear me out!”
 
The boy watched patiently, staying out of the conversation.
 
“You know what, I'm sick of you trying to “have fun all the time”! I want a life of my own, no adventure, I want out of here and sneaking into a fortress won't get me anywhere!” Saharry shouted.
 
“It will help us!”
 
“How?”
 
Corin stopped and looked down at the ground guiltily. If Saharry wasn't going to hear what she had to say then she wasn't going to push it any further. She clenched her fists that turned to run back toward the hut.
 
Saharry felt terrible after what she had said to Corin. She had told her the truth, but she never meant to go that far.
 
Saharry turned to the silver haired boy and watched him as he watched her. He didn't look at all sympathetic, and Saharry figured he wasn't going to be anytime soon. He smirked and Saharry thought she heard little chuckle deep inside his throat.
 
For a while she stood there still as stone trying to figure him out, trying to make sense of what he wanted. He was a difficult person to read, so it was utterly impossible to know what he could possibly be thinking. Perhaps she thought he'd say something, or move at least.
 
“Well,” the boy started, “You might wanna go after her instead of staring at me. Unless I've got something on my face, and in that case, you'd better tell me now.” He gracefully took a bite of Saharry's discarded apple.
 
Saharry snapped out of her trance with his striking gaze. She turned to catch up with Corin.
 
“Corin! Wait up!” Saharry yelled from afar.
 
Corin kept on walking, her eyes in a staring contest with the ground. She felt guilty about lying to Saharry, and felt she was going to be angry with her for the rest of their lives.
 
Saharry sped up. “Hey!” Saharry reached for Corin's arm, pulling her back. Corin slowed to a stop but continued to stare at the ground. “We need to talk Corin.” She turned Corin's chin to look into her violet eyes. “I'm not angry at you, so don't be afraid okay?” Corin fixed her eyes on Saharry. “Come with me…”
 
 
“So why didn't you just tell me the truth Corin?” Saharry asked.
 
“Because I was afraid of what you'd think. It's a difficult situation. I know where good friends and all but even friends have their secrets, right?” Corin replied.
 
“I guess your right. I mean, I brought you here didn't I? It was a secret of mine as well. But from now on, no more secrets, ok?” Saharry smiled.
 
“Ok, thanks Saharry.”
 
“So, you were caught sneaking around Ganon's fortress by that one boy over there, right?” Saharry questioned.
 
Corin and Saharry sat among the fortress grounds in Saharrys secret spot. This was the first time that Corin had seen it, and she had been quite surprised that Saharry too had secrets of her own.
 
A small, glittering pond gurgled behind them as the fish splashed around. A statue of an eye was placed strangely next to it and the birds were freely singing as well. The air felt silky and cool. Saharry had taken Corin here to talk things over, and they were making a lot of progress.
 
“Nice secret spot.” She mumbled dryly.
 
“Well, I wanted to show you that I have secrets just like you Corin.” Saharry smiled, attempting to cheer her up. “So, who was that boy anyway, and why didn't he turn you into Ganandorf? Isn't he one of his apprentices?” Saharry wondered, as her feet dangled over the edge of the cliff.
 
“Yeah…that boy…is Ganandorf's apprentice.” She hesitated. “He helps with all his dirty work and looks after us like a hawk. I'm sure you've seen him around sometimes, right?”
 
“Yeah…once or twice, but I never noticed how perfect he looked,” Saharry whispered teasingly in Corin's face. Corin smiled.
 
“Haha, yeah he is, and he's also the nicer one out of the two apprentices here.” She smirked a bit, feeling a little more open now and less angry with Saharry for lashing out at her.
 
“Let me guess, the other one is Ren Greenstoke right?”
 
“Yeah, it says their names on the rule board over there, but I assume you already knew that.” Saharry nodded. “The one who caught me was Roy Isaac, and he let me go. I'm a lucky one, that's all I know…” She trailed off. “If it were Ren, things would have been different.”
 
“And that's why I'm so angry and worried about you, Corin!” Saharry said, raising her voice, a look of worry in her violet eyes. She pounded her fist frustratingly on the grass.
 
Corin frowned and became silent, looking at the sky. “I steal - well, borrow those books in the fortress for a reason Saharry. They aren't just storybooks. They're secrets to our existence in the fortress, why we're here. For years until now I've been researching Hyrule's history to search for answers of what Ganandorf's planning. I read the history of Hyrule and what led to the massive wars and what Ganandorf is truly after! I'm so close, Saharry! I think if we find out what he wants, we can use it against him and escape! I need your help, Saharry!” Corin burst into tears and held onto Saharrys arm.
 
Saharry lifted Corin's chin and looked softly into her eyes. “Corin, I'm afraid Ganandorf will hurt or even kill us if we get caught…I don't want you or me in a situation as bad as that…”
 
Corin lifted herself off the ground and looked out into the horizon. “No, Saharry…he can't kill us…”
 
“And why not?” Saharry asked.
 
“Because…because…” Corin turned to Saharry, fists clenched. “Because one of us has a piece of the triforce!” Corin exclaimed.
 
Saharry was confused at that point. She didn't understand what she was part of or how that was possible.
 
“What are you talking about?” Saharry looked worried. “That's just a rumor…”
 
Corin got down on her knees and began to explain. “The triforce is a powerful symbol carved into the hero and heroin of time. Ganandorf obtained one piece when he escaped from abyss in the temple near castle town,” She began.
 
“He attempted to steal the whole triforce many years ago but failed. After he was sent to rest in the temple of time, the prince was worried that Ganandorf might break free and steal again. No one was entirely safe.” She paused.
 
“So, he broke the triforce up into three parts and scattered two pieces across Hyrule. They appeared on the hands of the two kids who saved Hyrule from Ganandorf the first time. When they stood before the prince one day they asked what the mark meant, the prince replied by saying that once they had their children, one of them would be bound with the power of the triforce for all eternity. They would be born heroes and become permanent protectors for as long as they lived. The third piece of the triforce was kept safe in the temple of time until Ganon broke free on the day the first child was born. He stole the first piece but is still desperately searching for the others. He wants to take over Hyrule and turn it into a land of demons and darkness.” Corin said sadly.
 
“But…I'm afraid he already knows what girl has it, and those who don't have the triforce gift, he'd just keep here for his own advantage and turn them into killers. I'm not saying that's true, and I don't know if the books are wrong or right. So far, they're just legends. In order to find out I want to find his journal!” She exclaimed anxiously. “He writes down all his plans in a red book on the table in the library. It's exposed for anyone to take. I wanted it so badly but I - I was caught before I could snatch it! I want to know more, I want to know who he wants, Saharry!” She grabbed Saharry by the hands with a please-believe-me sort of look on her face.
 
“But Corin, if any of those legends were true, then wouldn't one of us have a symbol on our bodies somewhere?” Saharry questioned, scanning her arms and legs.
 
“It's probably hidden. Maybe there's a way to activate it. The only way to find out is if we steal Ganon's journal. Its bound to have tons of information in it!”
 
“But, wouldn't he notice it gone?”
 
“I'll make a decoy!” Corin said excitedly. “I'll make one and we can put it in place of the original. I'll read it and find out what we need, maybe plan a better escape for the two of us while I'm at it, then put it back before he even finds out!” Corin smiled excitedly. “Oh Saharry! We'll get through this! It'll work! I know it!”
 
Saharry wasn't entirely sure about any of this. All this knowledge was so overwhelming that it seemed almost impossible, just like the pretend escape plans Corin and her would whisper every night. It just didn't make sense. She never noticed anything powerful about herself, so it couldn't have been her who had a piece of the triforce. Beside, her mother wasn't the type to fight off such a powerful king as Ganondorf. Perhaps her father could have been, though.
 
Saharry looked down at her hands curiously hoping she didn't have some weird tattoo of a triforce plastered to her skin. She didn't know how to respond to all of this.
 
“So you want to borrow more books and a journal to find out the theory of the triforce, right?” Saharry questioned hopelessly.
 
“Exactly. I've been trying to find something like it forever but never had any luck until the day I found his journal sitting alone on a coffee table next to a red chair. I want it so bad, Saharry!” She almost shouted. “You have to help me!”
 
Saharry had to think about it for a moment. She pondered the fact of knowing she might be the heroin Ganon was after. She wasn't sure she even wanted to know in the first place. What if they were caught? Or seriously hurt? Saharry was nervous about it all but agreed to help only because she was her best friend.
 
End Notes: I hope this wasn't too confusing. Please comment on my story ^^ The next couple chapters should be up soon!