Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ Tassadar's Legacy: AU: Forbidden Chronicle ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tassadar's Legacy - Forbidden Chronicle
Here I am at the top of the world. Everything I could possibly want, I have. Friends… family… love… I belong here. I stretched in my bed like a cat who got the cream AND the canary. Not that I could stretch far. Pressed on both sides of my body are my two most favorite people in the world. Link and Zelda. I couldn't possibly be any closer to them even if they were myself, which in all technicality, they are.
“Morning sleepy head.” Came a soft amused voice. I grinned and cracked my eyes open at Zelda, who pulled me into her arms to snuggle. Link chuckled and draped an arm over the both of us and asked, “Are we planning on getting out of bed today?” I closed my eyes and laughed, practically drinking in the happiness around me like it was actually there to drink. I snuggled deeper into Zelda's chest and said, “Well there's hardly anything to do. At least not yet.”
I hardly noticed an unspoken communication going over my head. I made a point to keep some of our thoughts separated, so there could still be surprises and privacy between us if needed. Such as it were, I didn't know what they were up to, until I found myself being tickled mercilessly from both sides. Helpless from laughter and trying to breathe, I finally called, “Uncle! Uncle!” They eased up and I vaulted out of bed and glared playfully at the two. They stared back at me unrepentantly and I sighed happily inspite my trying, and failing, to look reprimanding.
Link stretched and edged out of bed slower, while Zelda simply watched us as we got dressed. I threw on my usual black tunic, while Link got into his trademark green. Zelda shook her head and asked, “Going somewhere?” We started guiltily and I mentioned, “we were planning on going exploring a little bit…” “In the Lost Woods.” Link finished. Zelda sighed dramatically, something she definitely learned from me, and asked, “So I'm the one who will be stuck playing nice with the nobles and signing papers today, hmm?” She mock glared at us, and unlike me, she pulled it off rather well. I bent over and kissed her softly, which erased the glare off her face. “We'll be back before you know it.” I whispered. Then Link and I headed out the door to get to the armory.
That's what should have happened… That's what usually happened…
So imagine my surprise when I start the day exactly as I thought it would go… only to find no Link or Zelda pressed up against me. Surprised and alarmed, I sat up, and released my senses, scouring the nearby area for them. Those two always told me where they were going… so what's going on? I was kinda hoping that maybe they had some surprise for me and that's what is going on with the unusual behavior, but as I kept expanding my senses in my search, and didn't find them, I started to grow more and more worried. I sat there, keeping my senses swirling everywhere, spanning across the continent. No sign of either of them. Pulling all the stops, I sent a pulse that would show me where they are, no matter which parallel they were visiting.
Imagine my surprise when I found them on the next continent over, in a parallel not to dissimilar from our own, standing on the precipice of Mount Doom. Willing myself over there, I appeared instantly in front of them, dressed. I left in such a flurry that I left quite the footprint, which I admit would be rather unusual for me, so it didn't surprise me much when I sensed the HEG slowly start to appear on the slopes almost as soon as I got there. Zelda and Link were looking at me sadly. An expression I'd never seen on either of their faces before. It did not bode well and I felt my heart catch in my throat. I tried to call out to them, “Link… Zelda… What-“ Link interrupted me, “We have to do this Tass…” I didn't understand. “Have to do what?”
Zelda spoke quietly, “We were hoping you would sleep longer… Tass… there was a reason why we impressed that our privacy should be kept intact…” her voice cracked and to my horror tears started falling down her face. I tried to step forward only to feel Link throw out a barrier not even I could cross. That's about the time I think I snapped. “Link! What's going on! What are you two doing here!? Talk to me… please?” Link answered, “Tass… when we destroyed Ganondorf… did you ever wonder why he suddenly disappeared from his cell, leaving the Triforce of Power behind?” The thought had not occurred to me until just now. Link continued, “He did not go as quietly as we would have liked you to believe. He almost escaped again. He would have succeeded if Zelda and I hadn't intervened. “ Zelda started, “We tried to get a hold of you, but Ganondorf blocked us. He was weak, but he wanted revenge. He knew he couldn't do it as he was… so he invaded our minds… even now he's still here. Last night, he tried to have us kill you, and almost succeeded…” I stared at them flabbergasted. Link continued in my silence, “We have to finish the fight we started Tass. There's nothing we can do… nothing you can do… and believe me we tried.” Flashes from his and Zelda's memories flooded my mind of the pain they went through as they tried time and again without my knowing, to expell Ganondorf from their minds.
“So you see… we have to do this. We have to destroy ourselves and the only way to do that, is through the energies flowing in Hyrule itself.” Link said, his face wet with tears. Not a single eye was dry in the crowd that had developed as the HEG listened in silently. I watched in terror, unable to move or breathe or say anything as Zelda continued, “We love you Tassadar. We'll always love you. Never forget that. We'll always be with you in here.” She pointed to her heart. “no…” I whispered. Link shook his head, “You have to let us go Tass. Don't forget that you have everyone else too. We're not the only ones you can take comfort and love in.” I shook my head not believing what I was hearing.
Link took Zelda's hand and lead them to the edge of the precipice that would take them from me forever. They both looked back at me smiling through their tears and they both said in unison, “Ni fale sa… goodbye.” Then they were gone. I watched as if in slow motion as they fell. I pounded and snarled and cried at the barrier, trying to get past it to catch them and haul them from the pit before it was too late. No one else saw this. To the rest of the HEG it was as if they disappeared and I fell down to the ground as the barrier dissolved. In reality, all of us were moving too fast at the time for anyone to see it. I stared from my spot on the rock, unseeing, uncomprehending, at the spot where Link and Zelda once stood. The link was gone. I could no longer feel them through the Triforce. A burning sensation on my hand confirmed it as I received the last two pieces of the Triforce.
I was dead to the world. I didn't even move or resist as the Hylian Elite Guard came in, and Gohan picked me up and carried me out of the mountain to the large crowd below. They each took turns passing me around, rocking me and sharing tears with me. And still I was unseeing… unfeeling… a shell… even Vegeta took me in his arms with uncharacteristic gentleness and rocked me with tears in his eyes. I think seeing that proud Saiyen crying is what did it. I started bawling. The crowd went silent and my cries echoed across the continent, my waves of sorrow pouring even beyond that to reach all the extent of my power. Then, in the next moment, I was gone.
I ran. I ran and I ran and I ran some more. I left a trail of tears most of the way until I could cry no longer. I just kept running. At times I stopped at a dead planet or in the middle of space, trying to figure out what I did wrong… what could I have done to prevent this? But the answer was always the same. There was nothing I could have done short of sticking to Ganondorf like glue as soon as he was captured and that wasn't possible. I had people to help and Hylian Elite Guard to see off. I couldn't have just shadowed Ganondorf. I saw no reason to do so. Oh how I wish I had seen a reason to now…
And if it weren't bad enough, everywhere I looked… every star in the sky, every planet, every empty space, even when I closed my eyes… I could see their faces… with tears in their eyes as they told me I love you one last time…
I couldn't take it anymore. I withdrew myself. Everything. I just didn't care anymore. They had been my very reason for existing. Now they were gone. I withdrew everything. My powers… I could feel Tallon and Gantrithor shut down without my powering them… all the defense satellites shut down… but I just didn't care… I couldn't exist anymore…
I went back to my old home, back to Earth. Using my powers for what I imagined would be the last time, I warped reality around it, making it all but impossible to find and implanted myself back into the life of that world as if I never left. I locked away my powers and erased my memory. I only added a clause just in case something somehow slipped past that barrier and found me. In case that happened, or if somehow I was able to find a way past the pain, then I'd gradually get my memories back. I don't see that happening anytime soon though. And with that. My memory is gone.