Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ The Links Return ❯ Chapter fourteen ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Zelda, not mine!
AN: Well, you guys have been asking for Spirit's background, and here it is! …I hope it turns out ok…
 
 
 
 
 
A large crack of thunder and a flash of lightning illuminated the sky, making poor Red `eep' loudly, and cling to Epona's side. “Yikes!” Green exclaimed, looking up. “That sure is loud!”
 
“It's not raining.” Spirit said, not bothering to even try to be louder than the weather. “We should be fine.”
 
Blue paused, then looked up at the sky and glared. “Oh sure!” He snapped. “It'll pore when I say something, but not anyone else!?” As if to prove his hypothesis true, a large rain drop fell on his head. “Damn it!”
 
“Stop jinxing us, Blue!” Green accused.
 
“Not my fault!”
 
Shadow turned to them, ignoring their bickering. “There's a cave right over there. We should stop there for lunch, and hope the storm passes before we're done.” He pointed ahead, only a little to the left of where they were going.
 
The others (excluding Spirit) agreed simultaneously. They hurried over, grabbing dry sticks as they went. “We should be nice and dry here.” Green observed once they were under cover. Red nodded, and started a fire.
 
“And here comes the rain…” Vio muttered, the sound of rain reaching them from right outside the cave mouth. “Good idea, Shadow.” He sat down, using the fire light to read his book.
 
Spirit looked displeased at yet another reason to delay their journey. “This is a waste of time.” He practically grumbled, sitting down. “At this rate I don't see how we'll ever finish.”
 
Red opened the saddle bag, and pulled out an armful of bread, he'd been able to make before they left the village, and some apples. “Here's lunch guys.” He said, serving Spirit first with a sympathetic look, as thought trying to apologies for their stopping. “There's plenty if anyone is still hungry.”
 
“Ugh!” Blue complained. “Bread and apples? I wish we had some meat at least…”
 
“You're more than welcome to go hunting.” Vio pointed out, graciously excepting the meal from his shorter companion. “That is, if you care to go out in this weather…”
 
Everyone looked out the entrance of the cave. The weather had already gotten worst from when they first got there. “It's really coming down hard…” Shadow muttered, leaning against the wall. He'd purposely positioned himself as far from the bothersome light as possible. “It's like a typhoon or something…”
 
Vio looked up for a moment. “I doubt it. We're too far from Lake Hylia.”
 
Spirit scoffed. “The laws of nature don't apply to the darkness. Evil doesn't fallow the rules.” He took a bit of his bread.
 
Shadow glared. “Would you stop lumping us together!?” He snapped, getting glaring support from both the smart and short-tempered Links. “Darkness and evil are not the same thing!”
 
“Have you seen evil that was not part of the darkness?” Spirit asked coldly.
 
The dark boy faulted for a moment, searching for something to defend himself. “Er… Yes! Of course! Look at Ganondorf! He came from the light! He's a Gerudo; one of Din's own people! He even has a piece of the triforce!”
 
Spirit seemed to be expecting this answer, and countered. “Ganondorf turned to the darkness. He used dark magic and it corrupted him. He is no longer part of the light.”
 
Shadow was turning red with anger. The light being was just being so damn stubborn! His hands balled into fists. “Spirit-!”
 
Red stood up quickly, sensing the argument was about to turn violent. “Stop it you two! Let's change the subject! Please! Or at lest try to be nice about it!”
 
They both looked at him for a moment, then Shadow sighed and looked down, the anger draining out of him. “Sorry Red…” He apologized. “…your right.” Vio reached over and patted his shoulder, proud of the shadow for conquering the negative emotion.
 
Red smiled, and everyone went back to eating, almost like the whole thing hadn't even happened. After they were all finished, they all looked outside again, and frowned. The rain was coming down so hard, even Spirit looked apprehensive. “We'll get pneumonia in minutes out there…” Green muttered then turned to the others with a smile. “Ya know… when it's dark like this we can't really tell if its day or night… and I think more time might have passed then we realized.” He crossed his arms. “I think we should stay here for the `night'. What do you say?”
 
The others grinned and agree simultaneously. Spirit raised an eye brow, but let the excuse slide for once. While everyone got out their sleeping bags, Red walked up to him. “Hey Spirit. I have a question.”
 
It wasn't a very large cave, so when he said this, the other Links listened closely. Spirit ignored this. “What would you like to know?” He asked, standing up.
 
“Do you have a past?”
 
“…” Spirit blinked, not understanding the question. “What do you mean?”
 
He smiled. “Well I'm only asking because the readers are curious, and I drew the short straw, but… when you talk, you don't talk about the past we know. You talk about things you've seen that we haven't. I know Blue, Green, Vio, and I all have the same past up to where we drew the four sword, but Shadow has a different past… so I was wondering if you do too. What are your memories from before the Goddesses sent you? Who are you?”
 
The others clustered around suddenly. They hadn't thought about that (a fact Vio was mentally beating himself up over). Spirit looked around at each of them, then looked up. “I… am… not sure.” (1)
 
“How can you not be sure!?” Blue asked loudly, leaning forward. “How can you not know who you are!?”
 
As though annoyed, Spirit removed his hat and ran his fingers threw his white hair, messing it up just slightly. “My memories from before I came here are jumbled. I know many things that I do not… remember exactly. I know important pieces of history that could be useful for defeating Malachi, and the puzzles he will, and has thrown at us. However I have no memory of being taught it. I know names that go with pictures of people I have never met, places I have never been, and things I have never seen. I have memories of pieces of…” He hesitated. “…your lives'. Playing with the princess, knight training, pieces from the first time you pulled the four sword.” He paused again, turning his icy gaze on Shadow, who actually flinched. “…Then I have memories of darkness. Memories of darkness choking the land of life. Memories of evil seeping into the very veins of the world, killing it as the goddesses moaned in agony. Memories of darkness consuming people and animals… turning them on their own kind… memories that make me sick and furious… and keep me from sleeping.” He turned away from them, grabbing his own sleeping bag from Epona's saddle. “I know that Malachi will make this happen again, and it will happen again and again so long as there is darkness... but right now we can stop him... That is what I remember.” (2)
 
As he unrolled the bag, the Links broke out of the trance his words had caught them in. “Woah...” Red said softly, tears coming to his eyes. “... That is so sad...”
 
The others had the same thought. “Man... that's tough...” Blue muttered.
 
“No wonder you hate me...” Shadow whispered, his bangs covering his eyes.
 
Vio touched his mouth in thought. “Hmm... I guess the goddesses just gave you what you needed. You don't have a past.”
 
Everything fell silent again. The fire crackling was the only noise as they absorbed the information. After a moment Blue looked up with a gasp. “Wait!” He exclaimed, pointing at Spirit. “That means you're not even one year old yet!”
 
The statement was so completely random, that everyone in the room bursted into laughter. Even Spirit chuckled. “Blue!” Red yelled between breaths. “That's so insensitive!”
 
“It's true!” Blue claimed, proud of his realization. Everyone exchanged looks and grinned.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
...a little short, but there you go! Spirit's past.
 
Everyone falls anime style.
 
I really got into that...
 
Comment!