Liberty's Kids Fan Fiction ❯ LIBERTY'S KIDS: The Past. V.S The Future ❯ Me and My Brother. ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER ONE
 
 
James Hiller and his wife Sarah were busy at work in the print shop. It had become quite different without Dr. Franklin around anymore.
 
The good Dr had died of old age a few months ago, leaving James, his apprentice, in his will.
 
James felt really hurt when Dr. Franklin had died, for he was like the only one who ever felt like a family to him.
 
* * *
 
James Hiller was orphaned as a baby after his parents were killed in a fire, so Dr Franklin too poor little James right into his heart.
 
Raising him as if he were like his own child, and giving him a job as a journalist, for the newspaper of New-York.
 
Luckily James wasn't completely alone; he did have his friends Sarah and Henri by his side.
 
* * *
 
Sarah Philips was a British-girl, who came to New-York as Dr. Franklin's guest.
 
Like most British girls, she was a High-class lady with a very high class, yet stubborn personality.
 
She usually complained a lot about the way James used to act, even though it wasn't as if he had much of a choice.
 
James however did prove to Sarah that he did have a soft-side, by Taking his mothers ring, his only remainder of his family, and used it to make a copy of a locket she'd lost.
 
As time went on, Sarah and James found themselves getting closer and closer together. Eventually, they fell in love and got married.
* * *
 
Sarah's Mother and Father, Elizabeth and Samuel Philips, were very delighted for them both.
 
Samuel left Sarah and her mother during the war in hopes of protecting them.
 
Sarah waited patiently for her father to return, and now that the war was over, the Philips family moved into an estate just outside of New-York.
 
This way Samuel could be close to his daughter and his new Son-in-law without ever missing them as much.
 
* * *
 
Elizabeth, Sarah's beloved mother, shared a long relationship with her daughter during the war sending letters back and forth from America, to England, and back.
 
Now they lived close together, but they still wrote to each other. Elizabeth was especially looking forward to hearing from James.
 
The Day James became her Son-in-law, brought tears of joy to her eyes, Elizabeth and her husband had always wanted a son like James.
 
* * *
 
Henri… a young French boy wasn't really a journalist, but did stick along side James and Sarah.
 
For he too had no real family, but was given a place to live with and by the Marquis of France, and treated James and Sarah like family as well.
 
Henri was even engaged to the Marquis' daughter
 
* * *
Then there was Moses… an African Immigrant who was good friends with Dr. Franklin.
 
He moved out of the Print-shop and pursued in his boyhood of becoming a school teacher.
 
Now he had a job at the school in town, but did drop by once in a while to the Print-shop to visit his friends.
 
Not to mention, see if James had knocked Sarah up yet. “We were just married Moses.” said James, “Were not ready for children yet.”
 
His wife nodded, “Besides, were too busy right now to even have time for each other.” she said, “It's hard, but duty calls.”
 
* * *
 
There was suddenly a knock at the door.
 
It was Sarah's parents. They told everyone that they were heading for a conference that evening and thought they'd stop by for dinner.
 
“Won't you join us tonight Moses?” asked Sarah. “Don't mind if I do.” He answered.
 
* * *
 
Everyone shared polite conversations while they feasted on stew and butter bread, made by James himself.
 
“I must say dear.” Said Elizabeth, “For a journalist, you certainly know how to prepare meals.”
 
James bowed his head slightly, “Thank you, Elizabeth.” he said kindly. “James, we've been through this before.” said Elizabeth.
 
“We are family now, and you do not have to address me by my name.”
 
“I whole-heartily agree.” Said Samuel, “James, we know how you've never had a family to call your own before.”
 
“We are reaching out to you, you may call me “Father” if you wish, and you may address my wife by as your “Mother.”
 
James re-bowed his head, “In that case, thank you both…Mother and Father.”
 
“Oh really dearest,” said Sarah, “Now you're sounding like me.” James laughed and kissed his wife on the cheek.
 
* * *
 
After dinner, Samuel stretched back and rubbed his stomach. “I've not had such a warm hearty meal in days.” He said.
 
Sarah noticed on the floor, a piece of paper and small picture on top of it. They must've fallen out of he father's pocket.
 
She handed him the paper, but questioned him about the picture, “Father, what is this.”
 
Samuel took the picture and held it forward for everyone to see. “It's a picture of me and my younger brother, Paul. I was nine and he was seven.”
 
James stared at the picture, “He was taller than you were?” he asked, “Oh indeed he was.” said Samuel.
 
“I was one of the only children at school to have a brother who was younger, yet taller than I.”
 
“We always looked out for each other, but pretty soon things got rather nasty.”
 
“Mother and Father always favored me, only because I was the eldest over my brother.”
 
“They were only willing to let me be entitled to the family fortune, for although they were caring and loving, they were very strict, and old-school stylish.”
 
“My brother worked hard day and night hardly ever going to bed to prove that he was worthy of inheriting at least a part of the fortune.”
 
“What he was able to finish in only a few days and nights, would've taken me months to complete.”
 
“Still, my parents did not approve of his ways. I begged them to let him at least be entitled to share my earnings, but they wouldn't listen.”
 
“To make matters worse, when I turned 19 I had already married Elizabeth. Paul was only 17, but Mother and Father were forcing him to marry.”
 
“He was to betrothed to marry the Princess of England, and become our new Future King of England.”
 
“Although my parents thought the marriage would bring great honor to the Philip's name, my Brother saw that it had finally been taken too far.”
 
“He did not wish to marry the Princess, but his punishment would've been a death-beating if he'd refused, but he did.”
 
“Unfortunately, I was had been living with Elizabeth in London for years, and I could not help him.”
 
“This angered him very much, but by the time I'd received word of what was going on… he was already gone.”
 
“Paul, my younger, dearest brother… I never saw him ever again, and I still miss him today.”
 
* * *
 
Everyone wiped their eyes with their spare napkins, for that was a very sad story.
 
“Not that this'll matter, but what happened to your brother?” asked Moses. Samuel looked up.
 
“Well, he never married our Princess, and some say he was killed. Stuff and Nonsense in my opinion I say.”
 
“No… I believe he is still out there somewhere, without a friend or a family in the world.
 
* * *
 
In a serect lair far, far away from any land at all, a strange man was watching Samuel and Elizabeth as they left the Print-shop through a TV screen.
 
(A TV screen?)
 
(But that's impossible!!! It's 1780. The television wasn't to be invented for at least another 200 years!)
 
“Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh… Samuel Philips, so it is you!” he said in a sinister voice.
 
“I'll never forget all those times… Times which I should be sharing with you, but I'm not!!!”
 
“You left me to be kicked around by our parents, having all my hard work done for nothing to gain by.”
 
“Well; I'll soon show you and the entire world what happens when I am turned down now… Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh…”
 
“With my new found Knowledge of the future, I shall control the world, and do as I please, and nobody will be able to tell me what to again…”
 
“NOBODY...!”
“BAH, HAH, HAH, HAH, HAH, HAH, HAH, HAH, HAH, HAH, HAH!!!
AH, HAH, HAH, HAH, HAH, HAH, HAH, HAH, HAH, HAH, HAH!!!”
 
(NEWS PAPER SCENE ZOOMS OUT WHILE HIS LAUGHING REVERBS OUT!!!)