Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Fairy Dust Dreams ❯ Helms Deep ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

 
 
CHAPTER FIVE
 
 
 
 
The ride into Helms Deep was nothing but a blur, everyone was depressed, and the mood that hung over everyone seemed to place a black cloud over me…
Once through the gates I slid off Lightfoot silently and then looking around I asked a man sitting close by if he knew where the stables were. He pointed off down the stone corridors, telling me I couldn't miss it, so thanking him I made my way down where he had pointed.
I let my eyes roam around the large expanse of the hard stone walls, it was all really an amazing structure, and I found my mouth was open in awe. I noticed suddenly that Eowyn was watching me, and by the look on her face I figured that she had already heard the news; I didn't want to talk to her so averting my eyes I made my way pass her.
Once I was sure Lightfoot was being well taken care of I sat outside on a stone ledge that over looked almost everything. I was at the highest point, and wasn't very sure I was allowed this high, or if I was allowed to be sitting on the edge, but no one said anything so I continued to sit there. My thoughts were on what tonight would bring, I was pretty sure Aragorn would try to get me to go down into the caves with the women and children, but I had a plan, something I was sure Aragorn couldn't argue with.
 
I sat there for quite some time my thoughts lost on other things, when I noticed someone sitting next to me, I turned and seeing it was Legolas I smiled slightly at him. He smiled slightly back, and then looking momentarily away he asked in a whisper,
“Have you found your family?”
I mentally knocked myself. How could I keep forgetting “my family”! I shook my head silently and then turned my head back around to look out over the scene below. Legolas was silent his eyes still searching the side of my face, and I had a horrible feeling that he was reading my mind! I turned back to look at him and quickly gave him the saddest face I could muster, which really wasn't to hard seeing as my mood wasn't very high.
“I am sorry.” He said slowly, and I nodded.
There was a moment more of silence, and then with an exclamation I remembered Legolas's bow and arrows. I took them off and wordlessly handed them to the startled elf. He nodded his thanks and then placed them back in their rightful place.
“I am a bit confused,” I said suddenly, and Legolas eyed me quietly, “when you were showing me how to shoot your bow, and you wanted me to shoot that stump, it was as if the stump jumped out at me, umm… you know, it grew so that it looked really close, and so it was really easy to shoot…” I paused, “and then when you left and I shot that Warg, it was harder to focus, but then during that short war, it wouldn't work at all… why?”
Legolas was smiling, “Elvin magic.” He said, “When I was with you, my Eldar was leading your arrow, when I left, it wore off.”
“Oh,” I said, and then smiling I looked up into his eyes, “Well it doesn't matter I was able to shoot at least one without the magic to guide me!”
Legolas's smile widened and then standing he looked down at me, “I must go,” he said, “Aragorn promised Gandalf that he would not let the defenses fall, Gimli and I will see that that promise does not falter, I am going to see King Theoden.”
I jumped up as well, “Well you're not going with out me!” I said.
 
We made our way back down to the lower levels, and I practically had to run to keep up with Legolas's long strides, when suddenly I found Legolas had stopped and I had nearly run into him! And then looking up I saw what had caused Legolas to stop suddenly, Aragorn was standing strait in front of us.
“Me adole.” Legolas said with a smile, and of course I knew what that meant. “You look terrible…” he then added, looking his friend over.
“Aragorn!” I screamed with glee and then jumping up I wrapped my arms around his neck, “You're alive!”
Aragorn hugged me back weakly, and then letting my arms slide free, I noticed Eowyn glaring at me. I was shocked by that look, but smiled none the less in her direction.
Legolas then wordlessly handed Aragorn his necklace, and taking it he thanked Legolas in his Elvin tongue.
“Come,” Aragorn said, “I must talk to the King.”
 
“A great host you say.” King Theoden asked.
“All Isengard has emptied.” Aragorn said quietly.
“How many?”
“Ten thousand strong at least…”
The king turned and looked at him.
“It is an army bred for one purpose… to destroy the world of men.” Aragorn paused, “They will be here by night fall.” He finished.
The king was looking around at all of us, and I tried to make myself invisible; I was the only woman in the room and I felt uncomfortable.
“Let them come!” the king said suddenly and then turning he stormed out of the room.
Aragorn ran to catch up with him, Legolas and Gimli following. I wasn't going to get separated so I quickly followed as well.
“Crops can be re-sown, villages rebuilt, but here… here in Helms Deep we will outlast them!” I heard the king say from a distance.
“My lord,” Aragorn called out to him, “they do not come to destroy the crops or burn the villages; they come to destroy its people, down to the last child!”
I caught up just in time to see the king turn suddenly and grasp Aragorn's shirt, “What would you have me do.” The king breathed angrily at him, “My people's hope hangs by a thread… tell me, what you would have me do?”
Aragorn was silent for a moment, “Send out riders my lord.” He said simply.
“And who will answer!” the king said with quiet force, “Elves? Dwarves? No my lord Aragorn, we are not as lucky in our friends as you.”
“Gondor will answer.” Aragorn said quickly.
“Gondor! Where was Gondor when the west wing fell? Where was Gond…” the king stopped himself and then shaking his head he looked back up at Aragorn, “No my lord Aragorn… We are alone.”
“Gondor is here.” I breathed suddenly my eyes resting on Aragorn, “Well at least the heart of it is…” all eyes were suddenly on me, but it was the kings glare that made me wish I had kept quiet. The king let go of Aragorn's shirt and slowly made his way toward me. I noticed Aragorn's look, that of momentary shock, and then a small smile curved his lips, though I was too startled by king Theoden to make much of it.
“And what do you know of Gondor.” He said now in front of me, “What do you know of it… You, who is not even a shield maiden of Rohan. You know nothing.”
I was offended by that remark, seeing as I really did know everything, but I thought it would be best if I didn't say anything more.
The king turned away from me and went about his own way, “Gamli!” he yelled, “I want every man and strong lad to bear arms, to be ready for battle by night fall!”
“And the women and children, my lord?” Gamli asked.
“Send them into the caves.” The king answered.
 
The king gone out of sight Aragorn turned and started walking the other way, and stopping in front of me he grasped my shoulder.
“Pay no heed to King Theoden's words…” he smiled slightly, “You know more than I believe you let on.” With that he continued on through the now thick crowd of people heading into the caves. I quickly pushed my way through as well, not wanting to get swept away in the crowd. I was quiet surprised that Aragorn had actually told me to pay no heed to my own king's words!
“Aragorn,” Legolas said catching up to him and walking quickly to keep his pace, “You need to rest. You're no good to us half alive.”
I was practically running now to keep up and was right behind Legolas when Eowyn came back into the scene.
“Aragorn!” she said meeting him in the midst of all the people, “I am to be sent into the caves with the women and children!”
“That is an honorable charge.” Aragorn said simply.
“To wait upon the children, to find food and bedding for when the men return! What valor is there in that?”
“My lady, there may come a time for valor without renown, and then who will your people look to?”
“Let me stay at your side.” She said desperately.
“That is not for me to command.” Aragorn said.
“You do not command the others!” her eyes were suddenly locked on mine, and I quickly ducked behind the elf, “They stay because they would not be parted from you… because they love you…”
There was a long silence, and I peeked my head back out, “I'm sorry…” I heard Eowyn whisper, and then pushing past Aragorn she made her way quickly past the elf and me and then the dwarf not far behind.
Aragorn sighed and then stepped to the side wordlessly, and finding a stone ledge he sat down heavily. The rest of us followed his lead.
Aragorn turned to me, “Drea,” he said and I knew what would soon follow, “I want you to go into the caves with the rest of the women.”
I let myself frown, “Why should I have to sit in a cave?” I asked and Aragorn sighed again.
“A war is no place for a woman.” He stated.
I smiled wordlessly at the trap I had put him in, “But it is a place for a child? A little boy who has loved ones crying for him because they know they will not see him again? Why should I have priority over any of those little kids? Why should they die and not me?”
Aragorn sighed again as he looked at me, “I have no power to tell king Theoden to leave the lads be, it was his decision, but I do have some say over you.” He paused, “I need to be focused on this battle, Drea, and I won't be if I know you are in the midst of it.”
I felt my smile die, how did he manage to turn the trap around? What could I say now?
Legolas turned to Aragorn and swiftly began to talk to him in his own tongue; I hoped it was about letting me stay. Aragorn said something back and then turned his eyes back on me.
“You can stay for now, Drea, but as soon as the Uruks are seen you are to go into the caves.”
I frowned but nodded none-the-less.
 
The silence seemed to echo through the halls while I sat on the edge of my cold seat hoping the night would end quickly, especially since I was not allowed to be apart of it. Legolas and Gimli were sitting close by their moods dark and I was wondering what would happen next. Aragorn came walking into view, and looked around the people that were being set up in their armor and being equipped with swords and shields. I suddenly felt out of place, I had gone back to the stables and had retrieved my cloak that Aragorn had given me, but I still had no weapon of any sort. I frowned.
“Hey, Aragorn?” I said slowly, “Umm… is there enough of those swords that I could have one?”
Aragorn smiled slightly in my direction, and then walking over to where they were handing out swords and armor, he picked up one and silently looked it over. Then turning back he handed the sword to me,
“It is not as well made as most, but it will server its purpose.”
I nodded my thanks as I looked the sword over silently pulling it out of the leather sheath and feeling its cold blade. It was rather heavy, which I assumed was a good thing, but it did appear to be old. I placed it back in its sheath and awkwardly placed the belt around my waist, for some reason I suddenly felt giddy.
Aragorn looked around the small group of people again his expression blank, “Stablemen… farmers… These are no warriors.”
“Most of them have seen too many winters.” Gimli put in.
“Or too few.” Legolas added and then looking around he frowned, “Look at them, they're scared…” he paused as he turned his eyes on Aragorn, “and they should be… 300… against 10,000!”
 
They have a better chance here than in Edoras.” Aragorn said back.
They have no chance at all. They are all going to die!
“Then I shall die as one of them!” Aragorn yelled, and then turning abruptly he left. I watched as Legolas went to go after him, and Gimli putting out a hand to stop him sighed.
“Let him be, Legolas, let him be…”
Well that was intense. I thought.