Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Fairy Dust Dreams ❯ The Road ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

CHAPTER FOUR~
 
 
 
 
The dawn shown brightly, and with a start I awoke, I was in a small, unfamiliar room, on a soft fur covered bed, and though I had slept wonderfully I felt cramped and stiff all over. There was one small window high up on the wall so that a tiny trickle of the dawn's rays shone in, along with the uproar going on outside. I got up and washed my hands and face in a basin of water that had been put there for my use that night, and then feeling I was as pretty as I could make myself I stepped out of the room.
People were extremely busy and were practically running about, and I had to dodge many of them as they ran past with bundles on their shoulders.
“Excuse me,” I said managing to stop one, “Can you tell me were Aragorn is?”
The man stopped politely enough and pointed off some distance, “He is in the stables.” Then just as quickly as he had stopped he was gone again. I looked about down where he had pointed, and then at his retreating back, then shrugging I made my way to where he had pointed.
The stables weren't really that hard to find, and I soon made my way there, though it was not Aragorn I found, but Eowyn. She was busy saddling a beautiful white mare, and smiled slightly as she saw me approach.
“This is a beautiful horse.” I said once rubbing the mare's sleek neck.
“Yes, her name is Lightfoot,” she paused and ran a hand down the length of the horse's nose, “this will be your horse.”
“My horse!” I said looking at Eowyn in shock, “What do you mean?”
“She will be your horse, while we travel to Helms Deep, do you not like her?”
“Oh, no I like her, uhhh, it is… I just thought I would be riding with Aragorn.”
Eowyn frowned, and I continued to stare at her in shock, the only time I had been on a horse was with Aragorn. I had no idea how to manage one on my own! And the fact that I was supposedly from Rohan meant that I should, after all these were the Horse People! I had visions of falling off at every little turn, and then that alone would prove I wasn't from Rohan. What was there for me to do?
Eowyn's frown deepened noticeably as she turned her gaze from me back to saddling the horse, “No, Aragorn's horse will need to be free of any excess weight,” she paused and I found I was now frowning, “There may be some sort of battle, and he will need his horse free… You are of Rohan; you shall have your own horse.” With that she finished saddling the horse and flung her head back toward me, her hair flying back behind her shoulders, and smiling at me with what appeared to be victory she made her way pass me, handing me the reins as she left. I watched her go, and realized then why she didn't want me on Aragorn's horse! She was jealous! And this thought brought a smile back to my face until, that is, I felt Lightfoot nudge me gently with her nose.
“Well,” I said to the horse, “I guess that is that… you better be nice to me!” she neighed softly and I just continued to stare blankly at her, not sure of what I should do, or how to go about it.
“She is a beautiful horse.” I heard Legolas say from behind me, and looking over my shoulder I smiled at him.
“You think so? Her name is Lightfoot, she is going to be my horse, or that is until we get to Helms Deep…”
He walked up to her and rubbed her nose, “She will be good to you.” Then turning back to me he showed me a pack he was carrying, “These are some of your belongings, Lady Eowyn had them packed up for you.” He turned back to the horse and quickly strapped it to the horse's saddle, then patting the horse's neck he made his way towards the back of the stables.
I patted Lightfoot's neck as well, glad that someone had remembered my clothes, and then smiling I looked up at the horse, my frown then quickly coming back. I turned my eyes away from the horse and saw Gandalf storm by yelling something about Helms Deep to Aragorn.
“I will round Eomer and all that ride with him…” Gandalf then said calmer, and pausing he smiled slightly in my direction, and smiling back I nodded, he then turned back to Aragorn, and they talked quietly among themselves. I wondered what they were saying, and when I saw Aragorn look in my direction quite a few times, I had a bad feeling it was about me. Gandalf saddled Shadowfax quickly and the quiet conversation was over. “Theoden has a strong will, but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan. He will need you before the end, Aragorn, the people of Rohan will need you… the defenses have to hold.”
“They will hold.” Aragorn answered.
“With luck my search will not be in vain, look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn look to the east.” Then with that he hurried out of the stables causing everyone to lunge to one side…
 
It wasn't long and I found myself seated atop Lightfoot and slowly making my way toward the gate. I was nerves and hoped I didn't look it, I'm ok. I told myself as I tried to shake any feelings of fear or any visions I had of falling, then patting Lightfoot's neck I smiled just as Legolas brought his horse up close to mine. I felt my heart jump as Lightfoot jerked suddenly and grasping the reins tighter I tried to maintain myself. Legolas smiled in his normal way and I found it very annoying at that moment.
“What is so funny?” I asked as the horse neighed restlessly at the other and stomped its feet, and gasping ever so slightly I saw his smile turn to a frown.
“Are you ok?” He asked, “What is wrong?”
I looked back up at him flinging my hair nervously out of my eyes, “Uhhh, no I'm ok.” I said smiling slightly at him then returning my eyes to the horse's head I tried to concentrate on what her next move would be. Suddenly Legolas laughed and I looked up startled.
“The horse is well trained, Drea, and she has a bit.” with that he road off on ahead his laughter gone and his mood once again sober.
I looked back down at Lightfoot and found her head was turned to her side and one of her enormous eyes was looking at me bemused, “Alright.” I said smiling slightly at her, “I mean this is just a dream after all.” With that I briefly patted her neck and griped the reins tighter, “Ok, girl, let's go.” To my surprised she turned her head back around and began her pace slow and comfortable enough. Well, this isn't so bad. I thought.
 
The day turned out to be a long drag, and I was ready to go crazy with nothing to do. I sat a top Lightfoot walking at a slow pace as Aragorn, beside me, pulled his horse along on his reins. Beside him Eowyn walked her horse as well, and the silence was almost nerve racking.
Eowyn eyed me quietly, and turning to her, I eyed her back. She had something on her mind, and she clearly was debating if she should speak it.
I hoped she would.
Finally she turned her eyes back on me and gesturing slightly at Aragorn she asked what was on her mind.
“Where did you get a jewel such as that to give him?”
I was startled, and wasn't quite sure what she was talking about, and then it dawned on me, and I smiled broadly at her. Aragorn was confused and truly showed it, and turning his eyes on me, I quickly changed my smile to a look that matched his, and shrugging at his questioning glance, I pretended to not understand what she was talking about. He then turned his eyes on Eowyn, and she seeing his look, gave a startled one of her own.
“Oh, did Drea not give you that jewel?” she asked pointing once again at where it hung.
Aragorn frowned, “No, she did not.” He stated. I frowned at his back; he didn't have to sound so shocked by the implication.
“May I ask where the woman is, that gave you that jewel?” Eowyn proceeded to push.
Aragorn was silent for quite some time, and then finally looking off in the distance he answered, “She is sailing away with what is left of her kin.”
Eowyn silently watched him, and then turning her eyes on me she frowned suddenly. I gave her a startled smile, and then turned my eyes away from her, bored once again.
Man, I thought, I'm glad it's Aragorn; Eowyn is in love with and not Legolas! I smiled suddenly seeing him standing tall upon a hill some distance away. He looked so handsome with the wind blowing his cloak and his perfect frame so… well so perfect! I couldn't think of any other way to describe him, he was just perfect.
I made up my mind and sliding off Lightfoot I patted her neck and then gave my reins to Eowyn, “You don't mind, do ya?” I asked quickly and then turning I hiked up my dress and started running toward Legolas, not giving her anytime to answer.
I stopped running half way up the hill to give me some time to catch my breath, so I wouldn't look all red faced, and then I slowly began to walk up, unaware that Aragorn was watching me with a small smile on his lips.
I stepped up next to him and tried to see what it was that held his attention, all I could see were the long endless plains and the beautiful looming mountains far off in the distance. I looked back up into his face to better see what he might be looking at and was startled to see he was looking at me!
Legolas gave me his usual small smile the one that hinted he was laughing at me, and I had a great urge to hit him, but I fought it thinking that it wouldn't look quite right here in Middle Earth.
“What are you doing up here?” I asked once again turning my face back to the plains.
Legolas didn't answer my question; instead he asked one of his own.
“Do you see that old tree stump down there, near the lake?”
I looked and spotting it I nodded. Legolas handed me his bow wordlessly, and then proceeded to undo his quiver of arrows. I took the bow wondering what he was doing, and when he handed me an arrow, I couldn't keep quiet.
“What do you want me to do with this?” I asked, yeah, I know, a stupid question.
He either didn't notice or was use to me by now, because he pointed off down to where the stump was and flat out told me.
“See if you can hit that stump.”
I looked at it doubtfully, I had never shot a bow and arrow before, how was I going to shoot one now? I looked up into Legolas's face my own showing confusion.
“I believe going to Helms Deep is a mistake.” He explained, “I want to teach you how to use my bow, so when the time comes you will be prepared.”
I was suddenly gleeful! Legolas really did care what happened to me!
I quickly set the bow, and pulling the arrow back was easy enough, it was trying to keep my arm from shaking that was difficult.
Legolas steady my arm with one of his, “Don't shoot until you're sure you are ready.” He whispered into my ear, “Focus only on the target.” How was I suppose to focus on anything with an extremely handsome elf hanging over my shoulder and of all things whispering into my ear!
Somehow I managed, everything else faded and all I could see was the stump, and when I focused harder I watched as the target grew so that it looked like it was right in front of me!
I let go of the arrow the twang of the string seeming to echo in the air, it was all in slow motion! I heard the arrow thunk into the stump, and then the world came crashing around me again.
“Woooh…” I said, and then turning I smiled proudly up at Legolas, “How was that?”
He smiled back down at me, “That was good.” He said, “The trick is being able to do that in a matter of seconds.”
I hadn't thought of that, and I frowned.
Legolas was watching me openly, only this time his eyes were soft, not hard. I was uncomfortable under his gaze, and I blushed slightly. He opened his mouth, prepared to say something when he turned suddenly, his eyes narrowed and searching. Something had caught his attention.
“Stay here.” He said and then without another word, he was running, leaving me to stare after him.
I watched him for a moment, and then I realized I still had his bow and arrows!
“Legolas!” I yelled after him, but he kept his pace, “Your bow and arrows!” I frowned. Now what should I do? I thought.
I stood there for a moment more, my hands gripping the bows handle tightly, and then pushing Legolas's command away, I ran after him.
 
I stopped at the edge of a rather steep hill, and watched in awe the scene taking place about 50 yards away. A huge wolf like creature which I was sure was a Warg grabbed up a man that was lying on the ground, and shaking him flung him some distance away.
I turned my eyes to Legolas who was now running with his swords out, and that was when I remembered his bow. At this part in the movie he had killed the Warg with an arrow, which had then caused the Org to fly off.
I frowned as I looked down at the bow I gripped tightly, and then pushing any negative thoughts from my head, I quickly set an arrow. I would only get one shot; I had to make it count.
I focused on the target, my eyes boring into the Wargs neck only this time it didn't work as well as before. I felt as if my eyes were going to bulge out, the target growing and then shrinking again, I frowned, and shaking my head I tried it again. Then it worked, the target jumping out at me, and smiling I let the arrow fly.
The twang of the string and the hard solid thunk of the arrow making contact brought satisfaction to my smile. I watched as the Warg, screaming, fell face first to the ground, throwing the Org inches from Legolas, who then, in turn, cut off his head with a slash of his sword.
“It's a scout!” he yelled up at Aragorn who had just made it up the small hill, and then turning Aragorn ran back down, heading for his horse.
I thought this a good idea, I didn't want to be left behind, and so running with Legolas's bow securely behind my shoulder and his quiver already in place; I followed his lead.
Amidst all the chaos I easily saddle Lightfoot, and then once a top the slightly agitated horse, I found Aragorn's horse in front of mine Aragorn's scowling face looking down on me. I smiled slightly up at him.
“What are you doing?” he said his voice stern.
“I'm going with you!” I said looking as sternly up into his eyes.
He frowned, his horse was now behind those that had gone off to fight, and it danced around crazily eager to make off.
Aragorn looked off in that direction and then looking back down at me, his frown grew, “I want you to stay clear of any fighting.” He said his voice taking on a strange tone, “Do I make myself understood? Stay away from the battle!”
I was a little taken back by his tone, but I understood perfectly what he said, so nodding meekly at him, he turned and his horse ran to catch up.
Lightfoot was eager to follow, but I held off, most of the women and children were already making there way out of sight, I looked down at Lightfoot, and then easing her into a small gallop we made our way after the men.
I made it up to the top of a hill, a hill that the men had disappeared from, and saw the battle already in full force below. The Warg rider's battle was a lot more intense seeing it all live, and I found I was starring in awe. I snapped out of it, remembering the bow and arrows I had, and then pulling the bow out I reached back and grabbed an arrow. Though come to find out, I couldn't get my eyes to focus on any target, it was just no use! I was irritated, and so mad! The battle was dieing down and I hadn't been able to kill even one. I tried again my eyes hopelessly trying to call the target to me, but nothing would happen! I was so locked up in trying to focus, that I had no idea a lone Warg had spotted me, and was now making a mad dash toward me and Lightfoot!
 
 
In fact if it hadn't been for the horse I would have woken up a lot early then I should of, because neighing loudly, and practically knocking me off, I turned my head just in time to see the huge beast lunging at me! I screamed, like I would have in any scary situation, and turning surprisingly fast, I let the arrow fly.
The arrow hit right on and the beast fell just inches from Lightfoot, I heaved a sigh and then patting Lightfoot's head affectingly, I turned my eyes to the now done battle.
I saw that Legolas and Gimli were walking around, their eyes searching for someone, and I knew right away what was about to take place.
I road down amidst the dead, just as Legolas and Gimli were threatening the Org, and sliding off Lightfoot, I made my way over to where they were. Legolas was just pulling Aragorn's necklace free from the bloody hands of the Org, and I felt my heart go out to him. He looked so stricken I thought I might cry!
 
He was standing now, and looking slightly at me, he turned and went to look over the cliff; I followed. We, Gimli, Legolas, and I, stood silently watching the raging water below us, the silence adding to the sadness, when King Théoden made his way over as well. He looked down the cliff, and then looking up into Legolas's face, he grasped his shoulder in sympathy, and then turning to Gamli he said,
“Place the wounded on horses, the Wolves of Isengard will return…” King Théoden paused, his eyes silently taking in the battles end, “Leave the dead…”
This got a reaction out of Legolas and I couldn't take it any longer, I was so over whelmed from the look in his eyes that I thought I would cry and fling myself around his neck. Luckily I didn't.
“I'm sorry, Legolas.” I whispered.
He didn't say anything but nodded slightly, and then turning, he looked back down at the waters his hand grasping the necklace tightly…