Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Fairy Dust Dreams ❯ Edoras ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

CHAPTER THREE~
 
 
We road the day away, and on through the next, the silence ringing my eardrums numb, dusk was on the horizon when Gandalf finally stopped his tireless horse.
“We will sleep some of the night.” He said dismounting, and setting Shadowfax free to graze. Aragorn, and I did the same, and when my legs touched the ground I found they almost gave way and stumbling slightly I grasped the horses flanks, I righted myself and quickly stepped back, glad that he didn't kick me, then seating myself on the cool grass I watched as the other horses ran to catch up with Shadowfax.
 
Everyone was silent; there faces showing their weariness, even Aragorn moved about stiff legged. I stood up slowly and made my way to where Legolas stood looking out over the horizon. The wind was blowing and the chill was almost breath taking.
“Hey, Legolas,” I said once standing beside him, and taking his eyes from the plains he locked them on my face, he nodded slightly, the hint of a smile around his lips. I frowned, for some reason I always seemed amusing to him, “You don't have any more of that Elvin bread stuff left do you?” I asked.
He nodded, “There is not much.” He said turning from the horizon and eyeing Aragorn who was seating himself wearily on the ground, “Take what is left, and pass it around, we can get more supplies once in Edoras, though none as fit as this Elvin bread.” With that he pulled out the last green covered package, and breaking himself off a piece he handed the rest to me, I nodded and moved away. I took some to the Dwarf, who took it gladly, then breaking off a piece for myself, I handed the rest to Aragorn, who divided the rest with Gandalf.
Night swept in and soon Legolas and Gimli were fast asleep, I sat close by my cloak wrapped tightly about me. Gandalf was in deep thought, the smoke from his pipe dissolving in the cold wind, Aragorn was restless as well, and after awhile he made his way beside me.
“You should sleep,” He said.
“You should too,” I answered.
He smiled slightly, “Yes, I should, but my mind troubles me.”
I nodded, “You're worried for Frodo.”
He looked at me and then slowly nodded, “It would ease my mind to know Sam is with him.”
“He is with Frodo,” I answered, and at his questioning gaze I continued, “I was there by the boats when Frodo came. He had made up his mind to leave, so I let him go, Sam went with him.”
“Well that is news that I am relieved to hear,” He said, then smiling he stood, “Sleep, Drea,” he said, “Tomorrow brings another sun rise, soon we will be in Edoras.”
 
Although Aragorn told me to sleep, I could not, so I continued to watch the shadow plains of Rohan below. Everyone was sleeping, and since I couldn't I took it upon myself to stay watch. The night was cold, and I wrapped my cloak tighter against me, I now understood the use for these long almost blanket like cloaks, and I was glad Aragorn had given me one.
 
Dawn came too slowly and constantly my head drooped, and rubbing my eyes, I soon found I wasn't alone; Legolas had woken and was staring down at me his eyes wide in surprise.
“Drea, have you been up all this time?” he asked.
I looked up at him with blurry eyes and nodded, “I couldn't sleep, so I thought I would stay watch.”
“You look weary and dawn is almost at hand. Sleep now and I will stay watch for you, though there was no need for you to do so.”
I smiled as I stood slowly to my feet, “Thanks, Legolas.” I said then at his nod I began to look for a comfortable place to sleep, I turned back to him to see him standing his eyes watching the plains, “Hey, Legolas,” I said, “I know I am a burden to you guys, and to you probably the most. I'm confused, why didn't Aragorn send me home with the Riders of Rohan?”
He looked at me for a while, “We would not have left you behind, and though I myself did not believe you to be Gandalf's friend, there was always the chance that you might have been.” He paused, “Aragorn has taken it upon himself to care for you, and he would not have left you with the Riders.” He smiled suddenly, “And besides the Riders are no longer allowed in Rohan, they could not have taken you home.”
I had forgotten that bit of the movie, and smiled, “Alright then.” I said now gleeful, Legolas just nodded, they had become accustom to my strange ways, and so with that I went to sleep…
 
The next day we road again, and by early afternoon I could see Edoras in all its splendor. It was really an awesome looking place, and I found my excitement rising even though I dreaded the thought of meeting my King, but I pushed all negative thoughts from my head, I was going to enjoy this!
We entered the gate, and soon made our way toward the Kings Golden Hall, where Gandalf took me aside.
“It might be wise for you to stay out here while we go in.” he said, and at my frown he continued, “I am not sure what will go on in there, but I know King Theoden's mind has been over thrown by Saruman. I want you to stay out here until we come back out.”
I nodded my head, what else was there for me to do? And so as the others stepped through the large set of doors I stood much the way I imagined Eowyn stood, looking out over the city and the mountains far in the distance. I didn't much mind not going inside, I knew I wasn't missing much, though I would have liked seeing King Theoden's `change'.
 
I stood there looking over everything, my hair flying wildly about my face, From now on I am not going to miss anything, I thought, every little detail that has to do with Aragorn or Legolas, I will be apart of.I didn't quite know what I was saying at the time, I only knew that I was going to enjoy this dream, cause I had no idea when it would end! This thought chilled my bones and I shivered.
“It is quite cold here in Edoras.” I heard a soft voice behind me, and turning suddenly I saw it was Eowyn. I smiled at her and hugged my cloak tighter around me.
“Yes it is,” I answered.
“You came with the Wizard Gandalf Stormcrow, am I right?” she said looking at me quizzically, and at my nod she went on, “Where did he and his other companions go?”
“They're inside,” I said motioning toward the large double doors, “talking to King Theoden.”
“I must go,” she said and she turned to leave, once by the door she turned her head slightly over her shoulder to peer at me, a dubious look on her face, and then she entered the doors silently. She was elegantly dressed in a white dress, her hair neatly combed and braided in places, while I stood there in an over sized cloak and no shoes on my feet, not to mention the fact that my hair was wild, and full of knots, and my face and arms were smeared with dirt and dust, I was sure I was quite the sight.
 
It wasn't long after my little encounter with Lady Eowyn that the double doors burst open and I watched as Wormtongue was thrown out, stumbling halfway down the steps. My eyes were then reverted to King Theoden as his angry form pursued the stumbling man.
“I have only ever served you my Lord!” Wormtongue cried as he began to craw backwards down the rest of the steps.
“You would have me on all fours like a beast!” the King answered and as he brought up his sword prepared to kill him, Aragorn intercepted.
“No, my Lord, enough blood has been spilt on his account.” So with that Wormtongue got away, running through the now big crowed of onlookers, screaming as he went. The King was silent for a moment, his eyes taking in the crowd and then turning back to Aragorn and the others a look of dawning shock over took him.
“Where is my son?”
 
The funeral, I found, was not all that interesting, and was really rather long and so I was glad when it ended. Once back in the Golden Hall with Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli, Eowyn took me aside.
“You have been through much I am sure, so I have ordered a tub be filled for you to bathe in, if you will just follow me.”
I looked over my shoulder at Aragorn who stood off to one side smoking, at Gimli who was eating bread and cheese, and finally on Legolas who stood quietly close to Gimli. What else was there for me to do? So I left, following close to Eowyn.
The room she took me to was rather large for just a place to bathe, and the bath tub I found was extremely spacious as well. Once Eowyn had left, I striped off Aragorn's cloak, along with my own clothes and stepped into the warm scented water. It was amazing and I enjoyed it tremendously, but I wanted to get back before Gandalf came back with King Theoden, so I reluctantly pulled myself out of the water. To my surprise I found a beautiful white dress, and a pair of elegant riding boots waiting for me that I had not noticed before, the dress was cut much the same way Eowyn's dress was cut, though it was not quite as elegant, and appeared to be made for hard traveling. I put it on quickly, and liked the results; it was long with long sleeves, and fit perfectly. The only trouble was, that I did not know what to do with my cloak, I did not want to get rid of it, and I frowned at the thought of wearing it just now, so not knowing what else to do I folded it up along with my other clothes and left them beside the tub of water. I then put on the boots liking the soft fur that covered the inside, and liking even more the inky smooth leather on the outside, it was all very nice, and I felt very noble. I then opened the hard wooden door and made my way back the way I had come. I was a little disappointed for I had missed Gandalf and King Theoden's return including much of the talk of war. In fact I was just entering the room as the talk ended, and silence hung over every one. I walked in a little uncertain, and smiled at Eowyn who looked up at me her eyes shining with what I thought to be fear, and maybe some sadness, I was now confused and truly looked it. I felt Legolas's eyes on me and turned to him, he looked worried and upset, as did everyone else. I hardly noticed the two children eating soup nearby, but of course I knew they were there.
“What's wrong?” I asked looking to Aragorn, and he brought his face up to me, his eyes taking in the dress I had on, but his face a mask.
“Wild men have been running wild in Rohan, burning and killing as they go.” he paused, “They are destroying all the towns on the outskirts of this city.”
I was still confused, not sure what he was getting at.
 
“King Theoden has ordered all people go to Helms Deep, perhaps,” his eyes finally rested on mine, “your family will make it safely there…” he finished.
It hit me then, of course they were worried for my so-called family, and I was glad my look of confusion could also be considered a look of shock. I wasn't sure exactly how I should act, and after a moment I looked back up at Aragorn, then nodding my head I slowly made my way over to where Gimli sat eating and sat down next to him, I didn't like having all eyes on me, and I wasn't sure what to say. I couldn't stop thinking what would happen when we made our way to Helms Deep and `my family' was not there…