Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Fairy Dust Dreams ❯ The Fellowship is Broken ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

CHAPTER TWO~
 
 
I was beside the river for quite sometime after Frodo and Sam had left, not sure what else I should do, when I heard a deafening blow, a horn blow! I knew then that Boromir was dieing, and that the hobbits were being taken. Well I guess that's that, now I suppose I go running across the land with an Elf, a Dwarf, and a Man! This is really turning into a weird dream! I thought.
 
I sat by that riverside for a couple hours more, my mood quickly becoming foul. I was just getting ready to pinch myself, when I saw Aragorn come into view. Legolas and Gimli were both there as well, all of them looking sad. I knew what had happened, but I thought I should ask non-the less…
“Where are Boromir, and the hobbits?” I asked even looking around to add to the whole scene.
“Boromir has fallen,” Aragorn said blankly, “And the hobbits have been taken.” I tried my best to look shocked, and even closed my eyes for a second hoping it fit well enough, and I guess it did because no one committed on it.
 
Legolas strode by and began to push one of the boats into the water, “Hurry! Sam and Frodo could not have gotten far, we can still reach them!” he stopped pushing the boat in, confused no one was following him, “Are we not going after them?” he asked looking to Aragorn.
Aragorn looked at a loss, seeming to think of what they should do. He turned to me his eyes searching as if trying to decide what should be done with me, and then finally he turned to Legolas.
“No… We can do nothing now for Frodo,” he paused “the company that set out is now broken, but we will not leave Merry and Pippin to torment and death!” he paused and smiled suddenly, “Let's hunt some Orcs!” he yelled.
“Yes!” Gimli yelled along with him.
 
There was then silence and everyone's eyes were back on me, and then Legolas swiftly began talking to Aragorn in his Elvin tongue. They talked for some time more, and for some time more I sat down on a root of some big tree with no one but the Dwarf, who didn't much like me I could tell, for company! Finally Aragorn looked back at me.
“You will come with us,” Aragorn said, “But first you will need clothes more fit to travel in.” My eyes roamed to Legolas's who was openly watching me, I smiled slightly at him as I followed Aragorn over to where the packs were kept. He dug through one and then pulled out a long black traveling cloak.
“You can wear this,” He said handing it to me.
I took it looking it over, it wasn't nearly as nice as all of the ones that the company had on, but I couldn't complain. I awkwardly put it on, realizing that it was too big; it hung over me like a blanket, and dragged on the ground.
“It seems to be a bit big,” I said looking about me.
Aragorn frowned, “You do not have it on right,” He said then with a bit of an annoyed sigh he undid what I had done, then rearranging it around he placed it over my shoulders and clasped the brooch back in place. It was still a little big, but now no longer hung to the ground, and it didn't quite look like a blanket anymore.
I smiled, I liked the idea of having a cloak, and thought I looked pretty good.
 
“Aragorn let us go! We have lost precious time already. If we are going to catch these foul beasts, we need haste!”
Aragorn nodded, “Let us begin!” he said.
And so began the next stage of my wild dream…
 
We ran through the trees at quite a surprising speed, well that is Aragorn and Legolas ran through the trees at quite a surprising speed, me on the other hand lagged way behind with the Dwarf. I was thankful though for Gimli, causes if it wasn't for him then I would most likely have been left behind! The sun was beating down on us through the trees, and although it was quite a hot day there was a cool breeze blowing. We traveled like this for quite a long time, stopping every so often for me and the Dwarf to catch up, and when night slowly came around I was worn clean out!
 
Aragorn, I was glad, had decided that we should stop at least for a couple of hours and then make our way on again through the night. We were now out of the woods and on a small hill over looking a huge rocky plain. The night sky was beautiful with all of the twinkling stars, and the chilly night breeze blowing. I stood on a hill over looking the plains below, the wind blowing my cape in the air; it was really quite a cool experience!
“You should get some sleep.”
I turned suddenly at his voice, my heart leaping into my throat; I hadn't expected he would ever talk to me!
“Oh…” was all I could make my mouth say. He was standing beside me, making me feel extremely short. He had the hood of his Elvin cloak over his head, his bright blue eyes searching the night sky.
“We will be leaving again soon,” He said now looking at me, “Go rest, and we will wake you before we leave.”
I wondered suddenly if this was some trick, and that they wouldn't wake me up but would just leave. I quickly shook the feeling deciding that if they didn't want me around they could have just left me from the beginning.
I smiled and pulled my cloak tighter around me, “Alright,” I said all smiles and then turning I went to sit beside Aragorn. I guess this dream is turning out ok, I thought.
 
It seemed I had just closed my eyes, when I felt two strong hands shake me.
“Get up, we are ready to go!” Gimli said.
I looked groggily up at him, “Alright,” I said, “I'm up.” Aragorn and Legolas were both looking down on the rock plains below, talking quietly between themselves. I stumbled over to where they were, wrapping my cloak tight around me. My hair, I was sure, was one big rats nest, and I quickly ran my fingers through it, hoping I didn't look completely horrible.
I stumbled right between them, “So how much farther do you think we will have to go till we catch these Orcs?” I asked. I wasn't really expecting an answer, and I wasn't given one. I shivered, “My goodness!” I exclaimed, “It is really cold here in Middle Earth!”
Aragorn looked at me strangely, and I just smiled, Legolas pulled out a little green pack, dismissing what I had said. Apparently thinking that all humans were weird and it was better not to try to understand them.
The green pack, I soon found, was a bunch of green leaves tied together, and inside it was the Elvin bread. I had been waiting forever to try this stuff, and when Legolas handed me a piece I readily took it.
“Thanks!” I said as I brought it up to my nose to smell it, it didn't have much of a smell, I noticed, just the smell of a fresh smelling dew drop with honey, but the taste I found was very refreshing and brought strength back to my weary legs.
“Are you ready to go?” Aragorn said to me, and I nodded.
“I guess so,” I said.
“Then let us begin anew!” he said, “Gimli! Come! We run again!”
 
We ran for hours on end, and I found it was easier than the time before; the Elvin Way-bread had really taken away any tiredness I had felt, and given me new strength. But even with this new strength, I was still no match for Aragorn and Legolas, and still hung way back with the Dwarf. We ran clean through the rest of that night and on into the next day. It was about noon when we made a short stop, and from way back where I lagged with the tired Dwarf I saw Aragorn stoop to pick up something. I dragged myself on hoping to get there in time to enjoy a little break.
“Not idly do the leaves of Lothlorian fall.” I heard Aragorn say as I finally caught up, and panting quite profoundly I looked to see what Aragorn had in his hand. Of course I knew what it was; it was Pippin's Elvin brooch.
“They may yet be alive,” Legolas said.
Aragorn wrapped his fingers tightly around the brooch, “Less then a day ahead of us,” He answered.
I watched as Legolas went on up ahead, and standing tall on a rock some distance away, I watched him search the plains below.
“Legolas, what do your elf eyes see?” Aragorn yelled out to him.
I watched as Legolas searched again, and then yelling against the wind, he said, “The Uruks turn north east; they're taking the hobbits to Isengard!” I turned my attention to Aragorn.
“Saruman,” He said to himself though I could hear the dismay in his voice. The break was over, and we set out again, the Dwarf and I hardly having time to catch our breath…
 
 
We ran on for what seemed a month, I knew we were getting close to beginning the next stage, and I was quite relieved when on the third day I watched as Aragorn motioned us to stop. He crouched low to the ground his eyes alert, and then turning to us he motioned us behind a rock. I was excited and couldn't wait to see the Riders of Rohan!
Suddenly it dawned on me, I had told Aragorn that I was from Rohan, and now here came some of my people! What if they could tell I really wasn't one of their people! What if Aragorn pawned me off on them! I was suddenly wishing we weren't going to meet these Riders!
The riders road by, their powerful horses causing the ground to shake, I felt my dismay rising. Aragorn, noticing who they were, stood up as the last of them road by, I held my breath.
“Riders' of Rohan!” he bellowed out to them, “What news from the mark!”
By now we were all standing up, me the most reluctant. I watched as the Riders turned abruptly and charged us at full speed, and then in seconds we were surrounded. The one I knew to be Eomer jumped off his horse and looked at us suspiciously.
“What business does an elf, a man, a dwarf, and…” he paused his eyes suddenly boring into me, “And, a woman?” he looked me over again, and I had to bite back the smart retort just dieing to be released! He quickly recovered, though, and finished his thought. “What business do you all have in the Riddermark?”
Much betterput, I thought.
I then witnessed one of my favorite parts of the movie, Legolas valiantly protecting his dear dwarf friend, but it was soon over and eyes were back on me, the question I feared on the tips of their tongues.
“May I ask why it is you are traveling with such strange company, and a woman one of them!” I heard Eomer ask Aragorn.
Aragorn frowned, and briefly looked at me, “Do you know not one of your own people? She is of Rohan.”
Eomer then looked at me again, “She does resemble us as one of Rohan, but I must say, I do not know all the people of our county.” He paused and looked to Aragorn, “Why does she travel with you?”
I wrapped Aragorn's cloak tighter around me, trying hard to hide the evidence that I had no shoes on and noticed with dissatisfaction that Legolas found my dilemma amusing. He was smiling silently to himself, and at my look he turned his head.
“Yeah, choke it up, elf boy,” I said quietly and his head snapped back toward me in an instant, I just smiled.
 
“She is a friend of Gandalf, and since his death I feel responsible to care for her in the way I am sure he would have,” continued Aragorn, “We now search for two of our friends, who were taken from us by a pack of Uruk-hai.”
Eomer was silent for a moment, “The Uruks are destroyed, we slaughtered them during the night.”
Gimli jumped in, “There were two hobbits, two hobbits!” He said thrusting two fingers out in front of himself, dismay plain on his face; Aragorn put a comforting hand on his shoulder.
“They would be only children to your eyes,” he added.
Eomer shook his head and reverted his eyes, “I am sorry,” he said, “we left none alive. We piled the bodies and burnt them.” He then pointed off in the direction smoke was rising. “Hasufel, Arod!” he yelled then whistling, two horses trotted down to where he was, he handed the reins to Aragorn and mounted his own, “May these horses bare you to better fortune than their former masters, search for your friends, but do not trust to hope.” He looked around his eyes filling with sorrow, “For it is forsaken in this land.” He paused and looked around his men, “We ride north!” and at that command they all road off. I watched relief shining on my face like the morning sun, then turning to Aragorn I watched as he and the others soon mounted the two horses, Gimli and Legolas on the beautiful white stallion and Aragorn on a brown one. He reached out a hand to me and grasping it I was pulled easily behind him; I had never been on a horse before, and although it had been one of my life's dreams to do so, I was very nerves. The only other time I had had the opportunity, it had not turned out well… and now here in this strange dream, I was not only seated on the back of one but riding with Viggo! I felt my excitement rising!
 
It wasn't until we reached the Fangorn woods and saw the burning bodies of the Uruk-hai, that I remembered that soon I would be meeting my so-called dead friend! I quickly began to tense, what would happen when Gandalf told them I wasn't his life long family friend? I suddenly felt sick. I watched almost in a daze as Aragorn kicked a helmet sending it to fly through the woods of Fangorn, hardly taking note that this was where the real Viggo had broken three of his toes.
I frowned, this was my dream, I let that settle into my mind and finally smiled. If this was my dream then what I wanted to happen would happen! I just had to take control… but how? I was so caught up in my thoughts that I missed what Aragorn had to say, and coming out of my reverie I watched as Aragorn stood at the border of Fangorn forest, just in time to here him say,
“Into Fangorn forest!”
“What evil drove them there…” Gimli added, and smiling I ran to catch up…
 
 
The Fangorn woods were eerie, yet I found I liked them. The air was damp and the trees seeming ancient. “Wow,” I said running a hand over a huge tree, “this place must be old!”
“Yes, very old…” Legolas answered, “So old it makes me feel young again, I could have been happy here… long ago and in happier times.”
“Yes, well that makes sense, coming from a Woods Elf,” Gimli answered.
Aragorn bent down to examine something, “These are strange tracks,” He said.
There was silence for a moment, as the trees began to murmur, and scared, Gimli picked up his ax.
“The trees are speaking to each other,” Legolas said looking about them.
“Gimli,” I whispered to the scared Dwarf, “lower your ax.” I turned to Aragorn and saw his confused face, his hands were up and his mouth was open, prepared to say just what I had said, I smiled to myself, I had beaten him to it. This mightprove to be a fun game. I thought eagerly. Aragorn shrugged it off and turned to Legolas.
Aragorn, there is something out there,” Legolas whispered in his Elvin tongue, then looking both left and right he said his face set in a slight frown, “The White Wizard approaches.”
Everyone was stunned for the moment except me, I was just nervous.
“Do not let him speak, or he will place a curse on us,” Aragorn said, “Be ready.”
 
What unfolded next, besides the White Wizards bright, almost blinding light, and the fact that Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli tried to kill him, was they soon found that it was their dear, once dead, friend come back to help them in their quest. During all this I stood quite uncomfortable to the side, wishing the eerie Fangorn woods would just swallow me up!
“Gandalf…” Gimli said his eyes almost shining with tears, I watched as Gandalf's face twisted in confusion.
“Gandalf?” he said as if hearing the name for the first time, then smiling, “Yes, Gandalf the Gray, that was my name,” he paused, “I am now Gandalf the White.”
Every one smiled, but no one as big as me. I had forgotten that Gandalf would not remember much of his old life, and I was much relieved.
“Gandalf!” I almost cried, and all eyes turned to me, “I knew you couldn't have died, I just knew it!” I thought I should say something to him seeing he was `my friend', and besides I wanted to play the part, even though I knew he would not know me at all.
Gandalf's face was of one truly shocked and confused, he turned to Aragorn, “Who is she?” he asked.
“Do you not recall her,” Aragorn asked, “she is Drea of Rohan; you are friend of her family.” He paused, “At least, that is what she claims.”
Gandalf turned to me, his eyes searching, “Drea of Rohan,” he said, “I must say I do not recall the name, or this face, but,” he smiled suddenly, “but I do not recall much from my life before, only that which is most needed.” He turned back to Aragorn, “If she claims to be a friend of mine, then it might easily be the truth.”
 
“We have told her nothing of our quest, Gandalf.” Aragorn put in.
Yeah, you don't need to. I thought.
“Good, perhaps that is wise for of now, but come! The hobbits are safe, and we need to make haste to Edoras, we will leave immediately!”
It didn't take long and I was once again seated behind Aragorn, with the wind blowing my cape out behind me. We were on our way to the capital city of Rohan, were I was sure to meet Eowyn, and my King, Theoden. I had no idea what awaited me there…