Louie The Rune Soldier Fan Fiction ❯ Valiant Champion Or Something Like It ❯ Chapter 8

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Valiant Champion or Something Like It
 
By: AZ Mark II
 
Disclaimer: ADV Films and/or J.C. Staff own this one, not me.
 
-
 
Moaning softly, Lily opened her eyes. Blinking, she tried to figure out where she was. I was talking with the king, and then… she frowned. She had no idea what happened next. Struggling, she managed to sit up. She found she was in a feather bed, in a plain but clean room, with sunlight coming in the window. Her body ached, and her head felt like it was filled with stinging bees, but she had experienced this before, and knew that it would pass. “Over-exerted myself again,” she sighed, rubbing her temples.
 
Taking a deep breath, she examined the room a little closer. It was a domicile of some sort, with a small table and chair, a book sitting on the table. Carefully, the small sorceress managed to get off the bed and move to the table. Looking at the cover of the book, she frowned. Where the hell am I? And why is there a Mylee temple prayer book here? she wondered. Just then, she heard the door latch open. Turning, she saw a priestess peek in.
 
“Oh! You're awake!” the girl exclaimed. Lily frowned.
 
“I'm in the Mylee temple?” she asked, sounding suspicious.
 
“Yes,” said the priestess, smiling. “You were brought here day before yesterday from the royal castle. You've been sleeping ever since,” said the priestess. Lily looked closer. Spotting a blue border to the simple white dress, she realized the girl was a novice in the order.
 
“I need to speak to the High Priestess,” said Lily, moving toward the door. Her legs were still unsteady, and she almost fell. Fortunately for her, the novice priestess was fast on her feet, catching Lily before she could fall.
 
“Easy,” cautioned the girl. “I think you better lay back down while I tell Miss Isabelle that you are awake,” she added.
 
“Can't,” muttered Lily, grimacing. “I have to pee,” she sighed. The priestess nodded.
 
“I'll show you where the bathroom is,” she said, guiding Lily out of the room and down the hall. Lily looked around, realizing that she was in the inner temple, where only members of the Order were supposed to be allowed. Not that far down the hall, she was helped into the bathroom. “If you want, there is a warm bath drawn over there,” said the white-clad priestess, tossing her head toward the other end of the room. “Towels are on the stool by the tub,” added, moving toward the door. “I'll be right back,” she said, exiting the room as Lily relieved the pressure on her bladder.
 
Feeling less pressured, Lily delicately sniffed her arm, grimacing. “Definitely time for a bath,” she muttered, stripping off the soft cotton gown she had woken up in and making her way toward the bath. She wasn't concerned about being interrupted; one advantage of a being in the private area of an all-woman order. Feeling the warm water with her hand, she smiled, easing into the water. After a moment of thought, she shook her hair out, dunking her head under. I'll just wait until it dries, she decided. Looking around, she spotted cakes of soap on a tile ledge, and retrieved one.
 
Examining the cake of soap, she was impressed. The Mylee order cares for its priestesses very well! she thought. The soap was softer than the normal lye soap most people used, and smelled of flowers, rather than the caustic smell of the harder soap common to most kingdoms. Experimentally lathering it up, she found that it cleaned just fine, and left her skin soft and clean. The small girl happily began to scrub herself clean. She was just finishing up when she heard voices approaching. Turning, she spotted a group of white-clad girls enter the bathroom.
 
Clearly, from the chatter, they were first-year novices, fresh from practice with the quarterstaff. Spotting the small sorceress in the bath, the gaggle of girls froze for a moment. Lily watched them from the bath. After a moment, they apparently decided that if she was in there, then she was supposed to be there. Besides, ultimately, she was a girl, so it wasn't a big deal. Their chatter resumed as they stripped off their simple white dresses, then their panties, and finally their low boots. Lily watched as the priestesses moved to the bath.
 
“Hi! Are you new here?” asked one girl, easing into the bath. Her eyes flickered over Lily, pausing as she saw the scars on Lily. “I'm sorry; are you an acolyte?” she wondered, assessing the smaller girl.
 
“No, I am…a guest,” said Lily. The talkative newly-sworn priestess frowned.
 
“Guest?” she asked no one in particular. “This isn't exactly an inn, you know,” she noted. Lily hummed, but made no other remark. “You got a name?” she asked once she realized that Lily had no plans to answer her.
 
“Lily,” said the small magic user.
 
“That's a pretty name,” replied the girl. “I'm Seria,” she introduced herself. “So, what brings you to the dorm?” she wondered.
 
Before Lily had to come up with something more believable than `I haven't a clue', the girl who had greeted her earlier popped back in, a familiar blonde in tow. “Lily, you're awake,” breathed Isabelle, kneeling by the edge of the tub. Unlike when she was outside the temple, the usually-elegant blonde had her hair drawn back in a simple ponytail, though it was still curly. Her battle dress had been set aside in favor of a white gown that more closely resembled that of a novice.
 
“Miss Isabelle,” said the first-years, bowing their heads to her. Isabelle inclined her head briefly in return, her attention on Lily.
 
“How are you feeling?” she asked the smaller girl.
 
“Like Louie punched me and Melissa hit me with a stun spell, if you must know,” said the sorceress. “Do you know what happened? Last thing I remember, I was talking with King Rijarl, and…” she shrugged.
 
“You fainted, actually,” said Isabelle, absently touching Lily's forehead. “Master Carwes said you overextended your endurance,” she noted. Lily pulled her head away from Isabelle's hand.
 
“I had reason,” was all she said. “Do you know where my staff is?” she asked.
 
“Master Carwes has it,” shrugged Isabelle. “I got the impression that he felt that he should hold on to it until you were recovered,” she explained.
 
“I suppose it is safe, then,” sighed Lily. The first-years were silent, watching and listening as Isabelle, one of the senior-most priestesses in the order, casually talked with this strange girl. “Why was I brought here, rather than the Guild or a room in the castle?” wondered Lily. Isabelle shrugged.
 
“That I can't say. High Priestess Jenny ordered it, though,” supplied Isabelle. “Speaking of our High Priestess, do you feel strong enough to speak with her?” asked Isabelle. Lily nodded.
 
“Yes. I have some questions for her, anyway,” mumbled Lily. Standing, she carefully stepped out of the tub, Isabelle handing her a towel. “I don't suppose my dress is somewhere around here?” she thought to ask. Isabelle offered her a half-smile.
 
“It was rather travel-worn, I'm afraid,” she said. “Velvet is not the most durable material for our sort of business, you know,” pointed out Isabelle. “Until we can get you a fresh one, you are welcome to a robe of our Order,” said the blonde. Lily studied her for a moment.
 
“If this is a recruiting attempt, it isn't working,” she said, stepping past Isabelle, ignoring the sharp intake of breath from the new interns at her casual address of Isabelle.
 
“I trust you can find your way to the room you woke up in?” smiled Isabelle, standing and glancing at Lily.
 
“Of course,” said the strawberry-haired girl.
 
“Good,” Isabelle replied mildly. “I will be there in a moment to take you to see High Priestess Jenny,” she called after the diminutive girl.
 
“Miss Isabelle! Who was that? And why was she so rude?!” blurted out one of the first years. Isabelle turned to study the group of naked girls.
 
“She is…an old friend of mine,” said the blonde. “You may have heard that I and Priestess Melissa are each members of different adventurer groups,” some of the girls nodded, “well, that girl is a member of my party. She is a magic user; quite a dangerous one, too,” she murmured, recalling Lily's more recent acts. “Therefore, girls,” she said firmly, “you should consider her an acolyte, and treat her accordingly,” she lectured.
 
“Yes, Miss Isabelle,” they chorused together.
 
“Very well, finish your baths - quickly,” Isabelle said, moving toward the door. “After supper, you are going to tested on your study assignments, and you can be sure that there will be penalties for missed answers or for incomplete study,” she warned them. The girls groaned. “None of that now,” chided the blonde. “These studies are important, though I am sure that you don't see the need for them right now. I have been asked to give you your lesson on basic battle order this evening, so I expect to see you in the instruction room after your evening prayers, awake and focused.”
 
“Yes, Miss Isabelle,” the girls once more said in unison. Outside the bathroom, Isabelle smiled. Glancing to her side, she spotted the novice who had been tasked with keeping an eye on the small sorceress.
 
“That means you, too, you know,” she said to the girl. The new priestess smiled back.
 
“Of course, Miss Isabelle,” she said easily. Though still a novice, the girl was nearing the very end of her first year, while the others were barely a third of the way through their first year in the order. Personally, Isabelle had high hopes for the girl; as did the head of the order, if she had given the monitoring of Lily to her. Lily is not easy to deal with, and if Jenny allowed a first-year to do it, it must mean that she sees something in the girl, thought Isabelle idly.
 
Reaching the room, Isabelle saw Lily had already found the acolyte dress that had been left out for her. “I see you are ready,” she said to Lily. The short mage nodded. “I have to say, you don't look out of place in the dress of an acolyte of the order,” Isabelle needled her a little. Lily refused to take the bait.
 
“White isn't my color,” she said softly. “Has anything turned up about Louie's party or Ila?” she asked directly, killing the topic of clothing. Isabelle shook her head.
 
“Nothing yet,” said the blonde. “Perhaps High Priestess Jenny has received instructions from Mylee,” she hoped. Lily sighed.
 
“That would be a welcome change of pace,” she muttered, following Isabelle down the hallway. Her legs were still shaky, so she didn't complain when Isabelle subtly steadied her with an arm around her shoulder.
 
-
 
Celecia peered out of the foliage of the oak tree she was currently standing in, surveying the wide blackened spot by the side of the road. She had been looking for signs of Louie around the border of Ohfun when she had felt a surge of magic. Drawn toward the source, she had felt a second surge, followed shortly by a thick column of black, foul smoke. When she got within five miles, she smelled the stench of burning flesh. Skirting a border town, she found the site shortly after the fire had gone out.
 
Funeral pyre? she wondered. Elves usually cremated their dead - the better to keep humans from violating their graves, as well as for health reasons. Humans, though, showed a preference for burying their dead, so such a huge pyre was unusual. Careful surveying showed that there had been a fight of some sort on the road, and drag marks indicated that several large presumably animal carcasses had been dragged into the field at the side of the road, put in a circle of bare earth, and torched. Why that had been done eluded her.
 
Her introspection was interrupted by sounds from the woods near her. Going silent, she waited and watched. A few minutes later, a pair of hunters moved beneath her tree, pausing to take a drink from their leather canteens and to enjoy a strip of jerky. “I still say there's something they aren't telling us,” said one quietly to the other.
 
“Isn't it always that way?” replied the other indifferently. “Gold is gold, is it not?”
 
“Yes, but why do they need hunters to patrol the woods, when there is a perfectly fine garrison in town? And why offer a gold per day? That is the kind of pay a senior soldier makes, you know,” argued the first.
 
“Who cares? I know that the gold will keep my family fed, and that is all I care about,” opinioned the second.
 
“It just strikes me as odd,” complained the first. His companion took a final sip and settled his canteen. “You took the gold, same as I, so let's just be about it,” he said.
 
“It has to be about what happened to those lancers,” said the first in a wise tone.
 
“Probably,” was all the commentary his companion felt that observation warranted.
 
“Whoever did that could still be out here,” the first realized, his voice growing a bit weak. The second hefted his bow.
 
“Probably,” he repeated himself.
 
“So why aren't the soldiers doing this?” asked the first hunter, settling his own canteen. “It's what they get paid for, right?” he complained.
 
“Soldiers can't track,” shrugged the second. “And besides, the Prince probably wanted the town secured in case someone attacks it next, which means that it is up to us to find out of there are any signs of an attack coming,” he said.
 
“I don't like this,” sighed the first.
 
“You don't have to like it,” the second said, “but you do have to do it, so shut up and let's get it done with,” he said. Both men were silent as they moved into the conifer forest beyond the oak trees. Celecia considered what she had heard. Someone or something is stirring up the humans, she thought. Ila seems to have fallen into some dire situation, the prince is out inspecting border towns, apparently, and Louie is missing. I don't like this at all, she decided. “Better report this back to the council,” she decided unhappily.
 
-
 
Merrill smiled as she walked with her companions. It had been two days since she gave herself to Louie, and though her groin was still a little sore, she was eagerly looking forward to the next time. Who would have thought it would turn out like this? she asked herself, still surprised at how much she had liked it. Now I know why Melissa and Genie were so keen on being with him, she recalled, frowning slightly. I'm behind them, so I need to catch up, she thought absently. Merrill was, at heart, a competitive girl, after all.
 
“Hey, look!” called out Melissa, pointing down the road. Beside her, Louie shaded his eyes, looking toward the horizon. “Ohfun's border!” Melissa breathed. She was oddly relieved to see the border of their kingdom, but at the same time, the knowledge that Ila loomed ahead of them made her wish that they were still camped by that stream. The Ila Issue…the only thing that I dread about coming back home, she thought.
 
The issue of what Ila would think of and do about the situation with Louie was not a sole worry of Melissa. She and Genie had managed a quiet conversation, and she knew that Genie was a little worried about the reaction of the magic-using girl to the sudden change in the relationship between Louie and the girls in his party. When did I start to think of us as `Louie's Party'? wondered the priestess. Probably shortly after I accepted him as my champion, she mused.
 
“Yeah, it's Ohfun,” Genie said casually. “Finally,” she breathed. Merrill wasn't sure what she felt about the impending return to Ohfun.
 
“We still have a ways to go,” said the thief. “Let's keep moving,” she suggested, perhaps a bit more forcefully than necessary. Silently, the others resumed walking. It would likely take them the rest of the day to reach the border, which was marked by a stone marker on each side of the rough road. Another few miles onward, they could make out the faint signs of a small village.
 
“Maybe we can get a warm meal tonight,” Louie opinioned. Melissa nodded.
 
“Perhaps,” she said. Used to walking, the group fell into their steady, mile-eating stride.
 
“Just think,” Louie went on, “in a couple of weeks, we will be in the capital once more. I'm gonna find Ila as soon as I get these scrolls to my old man and aunt Jenny,” he smiled foolishly. “Hey! She should have finished her main study course by now!” he recalled.
 
Melissa frowned slightly. “You mean, she has probably graduated by now?” she asked. She and Louie were in the same year, weren't they? Louie nodded.
 
“Yeah, she should have finished her core studies by now,” he confirmed. “She said she planned to do more studying, though, so she should still be living in the Guild.”
 
“Why would she do that?” asked Merrill. “Isn't her family rich as hell?” she wondered.
 
“I guess,” shrugged Louie. Never really thought about it, he realized. “But her old man is kinda nuts, so she tends to avoid home as much as she can,” he explained.
 
“Kind of nuts?” parroted Genie. “How so?” she wondered. Louie shrugged.
 
“Every time he sees Ila, he tries to give her whatever is within eyesight. Once, he tried to give her casket,” chuckled Louie. “He also tends to get clingy with her; and to talk non-stop about stupid stuff,” he recalled.
 
“How does he feel about you?” Merrill thought to ask. Louie blinked.
 
“I don't know that he even knows who I am,” he frowned. Shrugging, he dismissed it. “Ila's got it kind of rough,” he said sagely. The three girls stared at him.
 
“Ila has it kind of rough?” asked Merrill, sure that she had misheard Louie. “Growing up rich, with a father who dotes on her hand and foot? Yeah, real rough!” she barked. Louie turned to give her a rare serious look.
 
“She lost her mother when she was young,” he said quietly. “And her father tried to replace that loss with material stuff, while devoting himself to his business,” he went on. “I don't think that that makes Ila happy.” The three women blinked at him, shocked that such a deep analysis of the family situation of his girlfriend could come from someone so seemingly stupid as him.
 
“Aren't you an orphan yourself?” asked Genie. Louie nodded.
 
“Yeah, what of it?” he wondered.
 
“That means you lost both your parents, doesn't it?” Melissa pointed out. Louie shrugged.
 
“I never met them, Melissa,” he pointed out, “and besides, I had my old man and Aunt Jenny looking out for me for as long as I can remember,” he grinned momentarily. “Ila was about five when she lost her mother, so it's hard on her,” he repeated.
 
“You really care about her, don't you?” murmured Melissa. Louie nodded.
 
“Well, yeah, I do,” he said honestly. “But I really care about you all, too,” he added. Melissa smiled, feeling her heart skip a beat.
 
“We know you do, Louie,” said the priestess softly. But, that doesn't help us with the Ila Issue, she left unsaid.
 
“And we have even come to really like you as well,” Genie added.
 
“Even though you are still an idiot,” Merrill grinned. It was Louie's turn to blink.
 
“You do?” he blurted out, sounding surprised. “I never thought I'd ever hear that from you guys!” he exclaimed. “You really mean…?” he broke off suddenly, twisting his head forward to look ahead of them. “Did you hear that?” he asked them, his voice low. The girls picked up on his suddenly focused state.
 
“Hear what?” asked Genie, her hand on her sword hilt.
 
“I'm not sure,” Louie said, “but it sounded almost like…” he trailed off, closing his eyes and cocking his head. Melissa tightened her grip on her newly-re-staffed pole hammer, while Merrill absently tossed a couple of knives in her right hand. Moments passed.
 
“Are you sure…?” began Merrill, only to have Louie reach back and push a fingertip to her lips.
 
“Something…” he said, once more trailing off. Taking in a breath, he spoke softly, casting a spell. Opening his eyes he looked ahead. His eyes were now slit like a cat's eyes. “That meal will have to wait,” he said tensely, pulling his sword free of its sheath. The party habitually fell into combat-ready formation.
 
“What's wrong, Louie?” asked Melissa.
 
“Someone's attacking the town,” he said.
 
“Someone? How many are there?” asked Genie, pulling her own sword free of its sheath.
 
“Just one,” said Louie, frowning. “But, something isn't right; he's moving too fast,” said the magician. Genie prepared to jog forward.
 
“Well, let's go,” she suggested almost impatiently. Louie shook his head.
 
“It's too far to sprint,” he said, “besides, we can't risk the scrolls,” he said.
 
“We can't just ignore this, either!” sputtered Melissa. Louie turned to her.
 
“I don't plan to,” he said, reaching to the back of his belt and pulling his wand free. “How about we try some magic?” he grinned.
 
-
 
“Ah!” screamed Ila. She had been working the machine when suddenly there was a huge spike of discordant magic energy. The feedback crackled back along her spell and hit the artifact. The blow-back of the reacting detonation threw her back and left her ears ringing, spots before her eyes and her head feeling like someone had stuffed a nest of hornets in there.
 
Before the magician could regain her senses, she felt her captor roughly haul her to her feet. “What happened?!” he yelled at her. Ila could barely hear him over the ringing in her ears. Shaking the girl a time or two, the man tried again. “What happened, Ila?!” he hissed at her.
 
“Someone cast a spell, and it destabilized the harmonics of the artifact's field,” the girl panted, rubbing her temples. “I think I'm going to be sick,” she added, feeling a little queasy. Her captor almost dragged her to the carriage, manhandling her into it and laying her down on the padded seat.
 
“Be sick on your own time,” he said tensely. “Is the device unharmed?” he demanded harshly. Ila managed to focus on the device, currently mounted on the cargo wagon. It seemed to be in good enough order.
 
“I think so,” she said faintly. “I'll need to check it out later to be sure,” she added, slowly recovering.
 
“Do it now,” demanded the man. Ila snorted delicately.
 
“I can barely see, hardly hear and probably can't stand,” she pointed out. “It will have to be later,” she repeated herself. “I'd think you would be more concerned that someone not that far from here is casting spells,” she added, a little venom in her words. Guild rescue party? Louie? she privately prayed. Her captor considered that.
 
“We're leaving - immediately!” he said. His men jumped into action, the carriage starting to move before Ila could draw breath.
 
“Abandoning your man?” she panted.
 
“He's likely dead anyway,” shrugged the leader of her kidnappers. “Either way, his usefulness to me is ended,” he added coldly. Ila considered this as she waited for her body and mind to recover from the unexpected backlash. So, this is what awaits me when he deems me no longer useful, she realized. Ila drifted into unconsciousness shortly there after.
 
-
 
“What did you cast?” asked Melissa, poking at the withered husk that had been the attacker. Around him, a large percent of the town's population was dead or dying. Louie eyed the corpse.
 
“That shouldn't have happened,” he said casually. “I cast a spell to immobilize him; or, I think that is the spell I cast,” he admitted. “It should have just cancelled his speed spell and frozen him in place,” he observed.
 
“It did more than that,” said Genie. “That thing looks like it is hundreds of years old,” she noted. Louie frowned.
 
“Maybe I miscast the spell,” he theorized. But, if I miscast the spell, what was that odd surge of counter-energy? he wondered. “Ila would know for sure,” he mumbled to himself. Looking at the shell-shocked survivors, he pushed the topic from his mind. “Right now, we need to see if we can help them,” he said to Melissa. She nodded, and the party broke up to see if there was anything that they could do to help the survivors.
 
Hours later, the group was in a freshly-vacant house, grabbing a little sleep. There had been precious little they could do for the survivors save for Melissa casting healing spells and Louie and Genie helping to dig graves. It had left the party feeling rather useless. The village wasn't large, and mostly given over to farming. With the amount of deaths, it wasn't likely that the village would survive.
 
The next morning, the party ate a quiet breakfast before discussing their next move. “I say we press on as fast as possible to the capital,” said Louie.
 
“I don't know,” said Genie, “are you sure we shouldn't stay and help?” she asked. Melissa shook her head.
 
“What we can do, we have done,” said the priestess. “I agree with Louie, though I would suggest that we detour south as we go,” she said.
 
“Why south?” wondered Merrill.
 
“There is a small temple of Mylee south of us,” said Melissa quietly. “We can at least notify the priestesses there about this, and they can see if there is any more that they can do for the village; at the least, they can perform the funeral services and guard the village until the citizens decide what to do,” she noted.
 
“Makes sense,” Genie said. Merrill nodded.
 
“Let's tell the survivors and be off, then,” said Louie resolutely. The four had informed the pitifully-few survivors of their plans, though the residents still seemed to be in a mild state of shock. Melissa asked if any of them wanted to accompany them to the Mylee temple, but when she didn't get any clear answer, the party set off. By silent mutual agreement, they pushed hard for two days, and reached the small Mylee temple at sundown the second day. Melissa immediately consulted with the priestess in charge. With only ten priestesses at the temple, including the head priestess, the temple was under-strength.
 
Melissa discovered that the temple was only two years old, and therefore, didn't have the full compliment of twenty each temple was supposed to maintain. Frowning, Melissa had swiftly told the priestess in charge of the branch temple what had happened, and asked her to send what help she could to the village. She also made a mental note to speak with High priestess Jenny about the situation. At the least, we need to send ten acolyte priestesses here until they can train up the local priestesses, she thought to herself. The head temple maintained a standing force of nearly four hundred, after all, and could spare some experienced priestesses to help this fledgling temple.
 
The priestess of the branch temple offered Melissa and her companions the shelter of the temple for the night, seeing only Merrill and Genie, who were clearly women. Melissa declined, informing her that because their party included a man, they couldn't stay in the temple. Realizing that the head of the branch temple was embarrassed by the oversight, she assured her that the small stable would be fine, as they were going to be heading out at first light for the capital. The priestess in charge urged her to let the man stay in the stable, while she and her companions stayed in the temple proper, but Melissa curtly informed her that the man was her Valiant Champion, and where he slept, she slept.
 
Leaving the stunned priestess, the three had rejoined Louie, who was forced to wait outside while the girls conferred with the priestesses, and in short order, the four were snuggly bedded down in the small pile of hay that the temple maintained. Before dawn had fully broken, the four were up. As early as they were, though, they hadn't set out before six priestesses exited the temple proper, two of them carrying trays with faintly-steaming bowls of food on them.
 
The four accepted the offered meal, Melissa habitually checking over the priestesses who would be sent to the village. She checked their dresses, their arms, quizzed them on the proper funeral service prayers, and when she was satisfied, sent them on their way. The temple had three horses, and with the priestesses being light, it wasn't a large issue to ride double. With time of the essence, Melissa urged them on their way. As the three horses cantered off, Melissa and her four companions turned toward the east and set out as well.
 
-
 
Celecia was fuming. She had gone directly from the site where the magical disturbances were to the council and told them what she had seen, what she had done, and about her suspicions. The council had not reacted as she had thought they would. Bare moments into her report, she got the feeling that the council was humoring her, much as adults tend to humor a child who is telling them that the city is burning. I may be the youngest council member, and therefore the junior-most, but damn it, I know what I saw! she thought angrily, moving swiftly through the trees.
 
At the moment, she was approaching the place where she had first found Ila's jewelry and bags. She had decided that rather than waste time on convincing the council that it would be more productive to search for Ila and/or Louie and his party. So, she was starting where she knew she would find some trace of her subjects: the forest where it had started. I would rather find Louie, but... she shrugged the rest of the thought away. Landing in a hickory tree, she spotted the bags, right where she had left them.
 
“So, if they dumped them here to keep her from being found, where would they have come from?” she asked herself, sitting comfortably on a wide, strong limb of the tree. She had been through that area of the forest several times before over the years, and had a fair idea where things were. Not to the north or west, she decided. Too many roads and settlements that way, not to mention a fairly-well-traveled river, she considered. What's south of here? There used to be a farm, but it has been abandoned for decades. East is the main road to Fundoria, which is routinely patrolled by the human soldiers, as well as having many farms and towns close by, so it is unlikely that they would be east of here. South it is, I suppose, she settled on her choice. “I'll check the old farmhouse first, then move in overlapping circles for a few miles in all directions; see if I can find a trace of them,” she muttered out loud, standing on the limb before moving to the next tree.
 
It didn't take her long to find the former farmstead. All that was left was a crooked stone chimney and a pile of mostly-rotted logs where the house and barn had been. All around the former farmhouse and barn were overgrown fields with few trees in them. Surveying it from the edge of the forest, Celecia considered her next move. Deciding on an east-west circle, she moved tree to tree, looking for sighs of recent movement. As she neared the south end of the reclaimed fields, she found her first sign.
 
Silently landing on the grass at the base of a pine tree, she studied the tracks in the soft earth. Moving back and forth, she gradually made sense of what she was seeing. Two wheeled wagons, one heavier than the other, came through here, accompanied by several horses. The heavy wagon was loaded with something wider than the lighter one, given how wide a berth it took around trees. The grass wasn't cut to make crossing the bottom of the field easier and no trees were felled, so they are trying to keep from being noticed. The tracks go in both directions, so they come and go along this route, but which way does their base lay? she wondered.
 
There were, as she saw it, two choices here: she could pick a direction and follow it until she either hit the end, or lost it on a highway, or she could camp in the trees and wait. Carefully feeling the tracks, she found that they were at least a few days old, maybe more. The older set was more than a month old. It occurred to her that she didn't really have a choice. This might not be their only way in and out, so I could camp here for months and not see them, she realized. Sighing, she leapt back into the trees. “I guess one way is just as good as the other,” she muttered, following the tracks toward the highway.
 
To her surprise, the tracks made a torturous bend through several small patches of trees before joining the highway. The tracks had been raked clear at the edge of the highway, and came in from the far end of a hay field near the southeastern edge of a town. Celecia considered this. Why here? Why go through all that trouble? Not seeing an immediate answer to her questions, she considered crossing the highway to see if the tracks split off later, but when she surveyed the open ground between her and the other side, and the number of humans around, she decided to double back on the tracks and see where the other end of the tracks led her.
 
I can always cross late at night, if I have to, she thought, flitting back through the tree-tops. It didn't take her long to return to where she had first found the tracks. Moving along them in the opposite direction, she covered perhaps ten miles before she saw the tracks branch, one heading north along an ancient, over-grown trail crowded with wood. The choice was now to stay with the original track, or follow the newer trace. Seeing that the tracks to the north were two-way as well, she decided to stick with the original track.
 
Moving among the trees as the sun began to fade in the sky, she found herself three miles later looking at the ruins of a human town. Judging from the condition, she figured that the town had last seen human occupation several centuries ago, though one of the buildings had been sort of repaired and several tents had been pitched around that building. Outside the building, a heavy wagon and a carriage waited near some picketed horses, several rough-looking men were coming and going from a covered cooking pit, while others tended to weapons. After a moment of watching, she spotted four different sentinels posted just inside the tree line. The closest one was less than fifteen yards from her perch.
 
The apparently occupied house drew her attention. It had a wall that had either collapsed or been torn down that was now covered by a large square of canvas. The roof was more or less intact, and showed signs of some basic modification and repair. As Celecia watched, light began to shine from the small window of a room adjoining the room with the canvas over the fallen wall. Silently jumping a few trees down, Celecia crouched on the lowest limb she could while still being hidden by foliage, and peered into the room.
 
In the room, a small lamp threw a shadow over the window, which Celecia saw sported a set of iron bars. As the person moved away from the lamp, the blonde elf girl saw a pair of smooth legs come into view, followed by a purple body suit, and finally by a familiar face. That's Ila! thought Celecia, stunned. She recognized the face of the human mage she had met when she and Louie's party had journeyed to the home of a human mage who had managed to anger the weather spirits with an artifact from the ancient kingdom of magic. Cupping a hand to her ear, she listened carefully.
 
“I told you,” Ila was saying, “The artifact is not reacting to the activation spell correctly.”
 
“Then fix the spell or fix the artifact!” came the angry voice of a man. Celecia frowned. There's an artifact involved? Again? she silently sighed.
 
“I'm trying,” said Ila, sounding tired and stressed. “It would be easier if you had managed to find the spell scroll for this thing,” she added, her tone clearly acidic with distaste.
 
“Had we found that, we wouldn't have use for you!” spat the man, grabbing Ila's arm and jerking her around to face him. From her angle, Celecia couldn't see the man's face, but the hiss of pain from Ila told her what she needed to know. “Listen, woman,” the man snarled softly, “You have until the end of the week to make it work again. Should you fail, I will find other uses for you!” he promised, shoving her. Ila fell back as the man exited the room. Hearing soft groans, Celecia watched Ila pick herself up off the floor, wincing as she rubbed her hip and forearm. The elf's sharp eyes could make out bruises on the fair skin of the human woman.
 
“Louie,” murmured Ila, absently brushing away unshed tears, “I need you,” she breathed. In the tree at the edge of the woods, Celecia heard the woman's soft plea. Moving a little higher in the tree, Celecia softly summoned the spirit of wind, the nearly-invisible sprite appearing between her cupped hands. “You who are the breath of life, I bid you carry my words upon your shoulders. To the earth before me to where the breath of Salamander lives, take my words. I give you these words, spirit of wind: I have found you, Ila. Be of hope, for I will return with help. Go, breath of life, as I have bid you,” she incanted, releasing the elemental spirit.
 
The leaves before her rustled softly as the spirit flew through them, dropping to the grass, which wavered slightly as the spirit moved toward the building. Celecia watched as the spirit's hazy form slipped through the bars on the window, then past Ila to reach the lamp. Reaching the lamp, the spirit released Celecia's words, causing Ila to gasp and flinch. Feeling a soft breeze touch her cheeks, Ila spun to look out the window, but saw only dark trees and the guards. That was…an elemental spirit, she thought, hope flaring in her heart, and that means it must be an elf, if they got this close without being detected. And if it is an elf, it must be that blonde elf girl, Celecia, I think she was called? she reasoned.
 
If it was Celecia, Ila continued to extrapolate, then it was most likely that she would go find Louie, since elves and humans weren't exactly on friendly terms by and large. Caressing her glasses, she murmured a small spell, changing the spectrum of light that the glasses showed. In the hot blue and cold red of the new spectrum of light, she saw an orange mass in a tree not too far away. “Celecia,” breathed the magician. Hearing the door to her room bang open, Ila murmured the counter-spell, returning her glasses to normal as she turned to see one of the guards with a bowl of lukewarm stew.
 
“Supper,” he sneered, nearly throwing it at the woman. Ila managed to catch it. Seeing the guard leering at her, she scowled at him.
 
“Now that you've fed me, get lost,” she said, sitting on her chair and beginning to eat. When the guard didn't move, she glanced at him. “Leave or I tell your boss that I saw you messing with the artifact,” she said coldly. The guard twitched at her threat, stomping out of the room. After a few more moments, she activated the shift spell on her glasses and looked at the tree again. There was no sign of the elf.
 
-
 
“You wanted to see me, your Majesty?” asked Lily, bowing before the King.
 
“Ah, yes,” said Rijarl, waving off a court page who had been reading from a document. “That will be all for today,” he said, dismissing the court. Lily waited as the courtiers and functionaries evacuated the throne room. “Feeling better?” asked the king of the small sorceress. Lily nodded.
 
“Yes, thank you,” she said softly. Since her collapse in his conference room, she had spent four days in the Mylee temple, which had been both interesting and annoying to the girl. “I just needed to rest some,” she assured him. Rijarl nodded.
 
“Then, I trust you are ready for your next job, Countess Corwell?” he asked her. Lily blinked.
 
“Countess?” she breathed. Rijarl nodded.
 
“Yes. It is your rightful title, you know,” he said. “After much thought and several consultations with both the Mylee temple and Headmaster Carwes of the Guild, I have decided to restore your title and family estate,” the king said.
 
“I…” began Lily, only to trail off, unsure what she had initially wanted to say. Rijarl seemed to be reading her mood fairly well.
 
“I know that this is an unexpected situation for you, Lily,” he said, “and I must confess, it is not done without some personal gain,” he admitted. “You will, of course, have to swear loyalty to me, and as a countess of the kingdom, there are certain responsibilities you will be charged with,” he said.
 
“Your majesty,” said Lily slowly, “I am not sure that I wish my title or lands restored,” she softly. Rijarl raised an eyebrow at that.
 
“Truly?” he wondered. “Why is that?” he asked her.
 
“Doing so would cause a stir in the court, as my family is not widely liked; by either side,” she said. “As well, I have not the training or experience to fulfill the duties such a title would incur. I am, your Majesty, no more than an adventuring magician in your son's party. It is all I know,” she added. Rijarl chuckled, causing Lily to twitch in surprise.
 
“That answer, Lily, assures me that you are the sort of noble I need to insure the peace and prosperity of the kingdom in years to come,” he said. Lily frowned.
 
“I don't understand, your Majesty,” said the girl. Rijarl hummed.
 
“You will in time, I believe,” he dismissed it. “As for the issue you raised, I am willing to allow you some time to make the transition from `simple adventurer' to `countess of the kingdom'. In the meantime, however,” he changed topics, “I want you to go to the Guild and speak with Headmaster Carwes. There is a project that he will need help with, and I have decided to give him your services for the undertaking,” said the king. Lily nodded.
 
“Of course, your Majesty,” said the girl. “Is there anything else?” she asked. Rijarl smiled.
 
“Yes,” he said, “you are to join us for dinner tomorrow night in the banquet hall,” he said. Lily nodded again.
 
“As you command, my king,” she said. Great, she thought sourly, another boring dinner party with people I can't stand or don't know.
 
“You will be in good company,” Rijarl went on. “My son, sir Jackinson, Isabelle and several others who you know will be with you.” Lily bit back a sigh of relief.
 
“Thank you, sire,” said the girl. Rijarl hummed.
 
“You should go see Carwes now,” he ended the interview. As the girl left, Rijarl looked out the window, sighing.
 
“Sometimes I wish I had been smart enough to remain a simple adventurer as well, Lily Corwell,” he said to no one in particular. Looking at a treaty in his lap, he wondered if it was possible to stand aside so Littler could assume the throne, the better to avoid the hassles he was currently neck-deep in.
 
-
 
“Louie,” came a voice from the dark trees around the party as they prepared to settle down for the night. Genie had her sword out in an instant, while Melissa leapt to her feet, her pole hammer in hand. Merrill rolled to the side, knives in each hand.
 
“Who's there?” called out Melissa firmly.
 
“Sounds kind of like…” began Louie, only to have a lithe blonde figure in simple clothes drop gracefully from the limbs of the hickory tree nearest to them. “…Celecia,” he grinned, recognizing the elf. His three companions regarded the pointy-eared elf suspiciously, only marginally relaxing their guard.
 
“I have been looking all over for you!” Celecia said, moving closer to the fire.
 
“What do you want, Celecia?” asked Merrill sourly. “We're a bit tired and are on our way home, so…” she began to blow off the elf.
 
“It isn't what I need,” replied Celecia firmly. “It's what Ila needs,” she tossed out. Louie was immediately all business.
 
“Ila? What's going on, Celecia?” he asked, frowning. Celecia knelt next to him.
 
“I'm not entirely sure, Louie,” she said. “Some strange things have been going on for the last half year or so, and on a recent patrol, I found her baggage and jewelry in the middle of the woods,” she began. Melissa's green eyes narrowed.
 
“Ila isn't the sort to go camping, Celecia,” she almost accused the elf.
 
“From what the guardsmen who tried to capture me outside your cabin said,” the elf replied, glancing at Genie, “she was kidnapped,” explained the elf. Genie frowned.
 
“Kidnapped? When?! Why?!” burst out Louie, jumping to his feet, fists clenched.
 
“Haven't a clue,” shrugged Celecia. “But whoever took her is holding her hostage a ways from…” she broke off as Louie grabbed her short robes just below her throat, lifting her up to face him.
 
“Where is Ila right now?!” he barked at her, his eyes afire.
 
“Easy, Louie,” cautioned Melissa, touching his hand where he held Celecia's robes. Louie sucked in a breath before carefully releasing Celecia.
 
“Sorry,” he said. “Where is Ila, Celecia?” asked the man. Tugging on her robe to straighten it, Celecia relaxed a little.
 
“I followed some tracks and found her in a ruin a ways away from here,” said the elf. “She seems to be ok,” she added hastily, seeing Louie's fists clench; along with his jaw.
 
“Which way?” he bit out. Merrill instinctively knew what was about to happen.
 
“Hold it, Louie!” she snapped at him. “What about the scrolls? And can we actually trust the elf this time?” she glared at Celecia.
 
“I'm with Merrill on this, Louie,” seconded Genie. “We've been played by her before, and you were the one so hot to get the scrolls to Carwes and Jenny,” she reminded him.
 
“Scrolls?” asked Celecia. Melissa frowned.
 
“Never mind, Celecia,” she said coolly. “Louie, what are you thinking?” she asked him, even though she had a damn good idea what was going through her champion's head.
 
“Ila needs me,” he said quietly. “But,” sighed the man in frustration, “we can't just run off with the scrolls unsecured,” he huffed.
 
“So…?” began Melissa. Louie sucked in a breath.
 
“So, you three take the scrolls to Ohfun, turn them over to my old man and Jenny, and I get pick up Ila,” he said firmly. None of his companions liked that in the least.
 
“I am your follower, Louie,” said Melissa firmly, “where you go, I go,” stated the woman.
 
“Sorry, Melissa,” said Louie, “but you are the only priestess we have, and I need you to make sure that no one but Jenny and my old man get the scrolls,” he explained.
 
“Then, I'll go with you,” said Genie. Louie shook his head.
 
“You're the best close-quarter fighter we have, Genie,” he disagreed. “I need you to help Melissa protect the scrolls. Also,” he went on, cutting off an attempt by Genie to break in with an argument, “you know a lot of the soldiers in the Ohfun royal guards, don't you? If you run into them, you can be a big help in getting the scrolls to my old man and Aunt Jenny fast and safe.”
 
“Guess that means I am with you,” Merrill chimed in right on cue.
 
“I don't know,” began Louie.
 
I do,” snapped Merrill irritably. “Those two don't need a thief to protect the scrolls, but you likely will need my skills to `pick up' Ila, as you described it,” she noted reasonably. And there is no way in hell that we are leaving that elf bitch alone with our man! she left unsaid, though her glare at Celecia was poisonous.
 
“I don't know if you can keep up,” interjected Celecia, giving Merrill an innocent smile. “Louie can run almost as fast and far as an elf scout, but you're a little small to run in the woods,” she sniped. Merrill scowled.
 
“Maybe I should cut your hamstrings, then? Just to even things up?” she asked nastily. She's getting on my last nerve..!
 
“Merrill,” Louie interjected firmly. The small brunette snorted, glancing away from the elf.
 
“Where do we meet up with you, if we are splitting up?” asked Genie, sensing that Louie wouldn't budge on the Ila issue. If she's in danger, he'll go to her, come hell or high water, she realized.
 
“I'm sure that Louie and I can…” began Celecia, only to find herself on the receiving end of three death-glares.
 
“Not going to happen, elf,” hissed Melissa. Studying the three, Celecia realized that something had changed the fundamental relationships within the group in the time they had been gone.
 
“Where is this place relative to the capital, Celecia?” asked Louie softly, yet firmly. Making a tactical call, Celecia relented.
 
“If they are in the capital, then they need to head south along the highway. When they reach the third settlement, they will need to turn easterly, toward the border,” she said.
 
“Near where those rebels were,” mused Genie, evaluating distances and times. Celecia went on.
 
“From there, they would have to follow an old, abandoned track until them come to the ruin,” she continued. “It would be easiest if we were to find them, however,” she said, looking right at Louie. “Once we reach the ruins, we could send the thief out to find them on the highway,” she suggested.
 
“So you can get your claws into our Louie?!” sputtered Merrill. “Like hell!” she spat. “You go find them!” she countered angrily.
 
“What do you plan to do once you have Ila, Louie?” asked Melissa softly. Louie hummed, thinking about it. It didn't surprise the three women that he hadn't thought that far ahead yet; it was so Louie that they expected him to run off half-cocked. Not that Louie's cock is half anything, Melissa thought, smothering a smirk at the thought.
 
“You better bring her straight back to the capital,” suggested Genie. Louie nodded.
 
“Yeah, sounds like a plan, Genie,” he acquiesced. Melissa closed her eyes for a moment.
 
“Very well,” she said softly. Looking at Genie and Merrill and getting faint nods, she sighed. “Let's be about it, then,” the priestess said, swiftly breaking down the packs so she was carrying the scrolls. Genie took half the food, handing the other half to Louie. “We'll come back for the rest,” she said. Merrill swiftly and efficiently buried their gold a ways from their tattered and worn pack of supplies, and without further discussion, the party split up.
 
Melissa and Genie resolutely marched toward the capital, eating and drinking water as they moved. It had been a long time since they had done a forced march, but both were strong and highly conditioned by their prolonged campaign, and though they would arrive tired, they would arrive swiftly, which was worth it. Genie had plans to hit up her captain friend for an escort, and ride hard to meet Louie in case things went sideways on them, while Melissa was already making up a list of priestesses she would ask High Priestess Jenny for - the better to augment the fighting power of the party.
 
Celecia and Louie jogged through the dark forest, using only the moonlight and their night-adjusted eyes to dodge trees and impediments, while Merrill struggled to keep up. Celecia noticed this, and subtly pushed the pace harder, intent on making Merrill suffer as much as she could. It wasn't that she hated the human girl, it was that she wanted to get her back for the attitude she had shown. Louie had no problem with the pace, but when Merrill began to lag, he smoothly scooped her up and settled her on his back, holding her securely as he jogged behind Celecia. Merrill really wanted to complain about it, but knew that it was not the time to do so. All night and the next day, the two groups moved toward their goals.
 
-
 
“Headmaster Carwes of the Magicians' Guild,” announced the doorman, Carwes entering the banquet hall. “Accompanying him is Lily Corwell,” the man called out, a murmur sweeping through the room. The name Corwell had a history, after all. Pausing for a moment, the two moved toward the king's table, where Rijarl waited.
 
“Presenting High Priestess Jenny of the Mylee order,” the doorman went on. “Accompanying her is Priestess Isabelle of the Mylee order,” added the man. The two women paused before moving to the king's table, seeing Littler and Jackinson already there. Isabelle smiled at Littler, who smiled back. At the table, the two took their seats, Jenny on the left of Rijarl, Isabelle on the left of the crown prince. Carwes was on the right side of the king, with Lily between Littler and Jackinson.
 
On either wing of the core party, dignitaries and foreign emissaries sat. In front of the king's table, the tables of the nobles and wealthy were set up. Lily's eyes picked out Ila's father at one of the closest tables, the red-haired man seeming a little distracted. Understandable, with his only daughter missing, she mused. Glancing around, she saw many hard looks and caught bits of angry whispering. I am as popular as ever, she thought wryly. And King Rijarl wants to restore my title and lands? Not a good idea, I think…
 
Ten minutes passed before Rijarl stood, tapping his goblet on the table forcefully, the room gradually growing silent. “We are pleased to welcome you to our feast,” said the king formally. “It is occasioned by important news,” he went on. “We are pleased to announce that we have concluded negotiations for an alliance with the kingdoms of Fundoria and Leisaria by marriage,” he said, the room suddenly buzzing with murmured conversation. Isabelle schooled her face to a pleasant smile, while Lily's expression didn't change in the least.
 
“Tomorrow, we will make the news public to the citizens, and begin the preparation for the ceremonies,” he went on. “But tonight, let us have an early celebration to continued peace and prosperity for us all!” he finished. The nobles and rich raised their glasses in accord. Rijarl sat back down and begin to dish up his plate from the food before him on the table.
 
“You look stunning tonight, Lily,” observed the king several minutes later. Lily blushed a little, unconsciously smoothing a hand over her fancy gown.
 
“Thank you, your Majesty,” she said, fighting a blush. When was the last time I wore such a gown? Did I ever? she wondered. The gown had been a complete surprise when Jenny had come by the guild, the gown in a velvet hanger bag that was over her shoulder. Pulling Lily from her research, she had helped the girl prepare for the dinner, and when she was done, Lily hardly recognized herself. In spite of repeated requests and questions, Jenny had refused any sort of answer or explanation about the gown. It makes more sense now, she thought.
 
One thing she had refused to be parted with was her staff, which was discreetly tucked close to her. When she had gone to the Guild, the first thing that Carwes had done was return her staff to her. It had been a great relief to hold the staff again. It had been one of the biggest constants in her turbulent life, and holding it soothed her nerves. Delicately biting into a chicken breast, she idly watched and listened to the ebb and flow of conversation around her, speaking with Jackinson and Isabelle when addressed, but generally just watching and listening, as was her habit.
 
It was some hours later when Lily saw a guard slip into the room, hurrying toward the King's table while trying not to draw attention to himself. Her hand fell to her staff, a frown on her face. Glancing to the side, she saw that Jackinson's eyes were on the guard as well, a small frown on his face. Looking to Isabelle, she saw the blonde's eyes were shifting back and forth between the guard and Littler. A look to her other side showed her that Jenny and Carwes were looking at the guard, as was Rijarl.
 
The guard slipped over to Rijarl's chair, leaning down to whisper in the king's ear. Rijarl frowned. “Did they saw who they were?” asked the king softly. The guard whispered some more. Before the King could reply, the faint sounds of a commotion came from outside the doors to the banquet hall. Jenny, Carwes, Rijarl, Lily, Jackinson, Littler and Isabelle tensed slightly, habits long ingrained taking control. The nobles and rich merchants were becoming aware of the ruckus.
 
Faintly, the room heard a cry, then a grunt, followed by a hollow boom as something hit the door. “Stand aside,” came an enraged voice, followed by the sound of a blow landing on armor. A moment later, the door to the banged open, revealing the doorman's limp body slumping to the floor. Stepping over him, two travel-worn women stepped into the room.
 
“What is the meaning of this?” called out Rijarl, standing. Both women knelt.
 
“Forgive the intrusion, your majesty,” said the shorter one, pushing back her cloak to reveal a blonde head of hair. “I am ordained priestess Melissa of the Mylee order,” she addressed the room, her eyes fixing High Priestess Jenny squarely. “And I must beg an audience with you, High Priestess Jenny and Master Carwes of the Magicians' Guild on matters of the gravest importance,” she concluded.
 
“It couldn't wait?” asked one of the court nobles, his tone petulant. The other women turned to glare at him, her hair crimson.
 
“No, as a matter of fact, it couldn't,” she said, her tone dark and dangerous.
 
“The nerve…!” gasped the noble.
 
“Enough,” said Rijarl firmly, standing. “We will grant you an audience immediately, Priestess Melissa,” he said. Addressing the room at large, he bid them to continue while he addressed this issue. With Jenny and Carwes flanking him, he moved to the door to the banquet hall, leading Melissa and Genie to the nearest secure conference room. As the doors to the banquet hall closed behind them, Littler found himself suddenly in charge of the banquet.
 
In the conference room, Rijarl wasted no time on pleasantries. “Where is Louie?” he asked directly of Melissa. The priestess sighed.
 
“He is going to retrieve Ila, your majesty,” she said. Rijarl blinked.
 
“How did you know about that?” he asked. Melissa shook her head.
 
“Please, your majesty, I think it would be faster to let us tell you what we learned,” said the priestess. “But first,” she said, un-slinging a rude pack, “High Priestess Jenny, Headmaster Carwes, these scrolls are incredibly dangerous, and date back to the ancient kingdom of magic. Louie entrusted us with delivering them to the two of you for safekeeping, study and protection.”
 
“Where did you…?” breathed Carwes, examining the scrolls.
 
“Once more, I think it would be easiest to tell you what we have done,” said Melissa, glancing at Jenny for support.
 
“Tell us, Melissa,” said the priestess, glancing at Rijarl, who nodded.
 
“It was several months ago,” began Melissa, rubbing her eyes with the back of her hand. “We had decided to return to Ohfun,” she said, delicately side-stepping why they had been gone so long, “and Louie decided to take a shortcut through the Black Tree Reach, over the Razor Peaks, and across the Crooked Loch. In the Black Tree Reach, we were attacked…”
 
Thirty minutes later, she wrapped it all up. “So, we came here to give you these scrolls. Now that that is done, we are going after Louie and Merrill,” she said, glancing at Genie, who absently nodded.
 
“I need to find my friend in the Lancers,” Genie muttered. Melissa nodded. Turning to Jenny, she moved forward with her new agenda.
 
“High Priestess, I would like to take two dozen acolytes out of the temple to support my Champion,” she said, “I have the priestesses in mind, if you will allow me to borrow them,” she said.
 
“Not so fast,” said Jenny firmly. “We have some things to share with you two as well,” she said, glancing at Rijarl, who nodded. “Perhaps you have wondered what is going on here?” she prodded her priestess. Melissa frowned.
 
“Well, maybe…” she admitted. Most of her attention, however, was on getting back to Louie's side. Jenny began to tell her about what she had missed while outside Ohfun.