Louie The Rune Soldier Fan Fiction ❯ Valiant Champion Or Something Like It ❯ Chapter 9

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Valiant Champion or Something Like It
 
By: AZ Mark II
 
Disclaimer: ADV Films and/or J.C. Staff own this one, not me.
 
-
 
Louie, Merrill and Celecia crept closer to the ruins in the early evening of the second day. They had pushed hard and long, pausing only for a two-hour rest from the time they had set out until now. Merrill had gotten some rest, being carried by Louie, but all of them were fairly tired. The burning look in Louie's eyes, however, told the two girls that he wouldn't stop until he had `retrieved' his precious Ila.
 
Celecia was on one side of Louie, Merrill on the other. Leaning in close, she murmured in his ear. “She is in that central building, Louie,” the elf breathed. Louie could smell the fresh, clean tree-like scent of the elf, combined with the faintly musky smell of her sweat. Had he not been so focused on Ila, he would likely have had to deal with an unexpected hard-on. “But we have to figure out how to get past the pickets, grab Ila, and get back without getting killed,” she admonished him.
 
“For once, I agree with the elf,” agreed Merrill from his other side, pressing her body to his to help keep him steady. Gods know he has the tendency to jump first and ask questions later, she thought to herself. “Let's wait a few hours; they are too awake right now to do anything,” she murmured in his other ear. Louie gritted his teeth, but heeded the warnings of the two. Time passed, and the camp bedded down. The three remained just beyond the edge of the trees. Merrill and Celecia watched the pickets, guards and general movement of the group, while Louie impatiently searched the windows of the building for any sign of Ila.
 
It was hours later when Merrill tapped his arm, getting his attention. Her lips brushing his ear, she murmured softly. “They're as settled down as they will get, so it is time to see if we can get into the building and grab Ila. Ideas?” she asked.
 
“A few,” he muttered, reaching back to ease his wand out of the sheath he had made for it. For an instant, Merrill was surprised. Louie reaching for his wand, instead of his sword? she boggled. Could he finally be acting like a magician?! Man, if only Melissa and Genie could see this!
 
“Are you sure you should use magic?” Celecia asked, her voice so soft that Louie barely heard her. Silently, he shook his head.
 
“I'm not planning to cast a spell unless we have to,” he replied softly. “But if we get spotted, I have the perfect spell in mind,” he said. “Let's see if we can slip in close, Merrill,” he suggested.
 
“Sure, but what about the long-ears?” asked Merrill, easing two knives out of her harness. Louie gave her a cock-sure smile.
 
“Celecia, can you move around to the far side of the camp without being spotted?” he asked her. She nodded. “Good. Watch us, and if a guard starts to get too close to us, or we are noticed, make some sort of diversion, will you?” he asked. “It doesn't have to be for long; just long enough for me to cast the spell,” he assured her. Celecia slowly nodded.
 
“I think I can manage a good distraction,” she agreed, easing back from the two humans. A moment later, she was in the trees and gone. Several minutes later, Louie touched Merrill's arm, and the two began to crawl toward the cleared perimeter of the ruins. There was good cover until the tree-line, but neither wanted to try a crouched approach. Drawing nearer to the edge of the trees, Merrill suddenly grabbed Louie's arm, freezing him in place. Slowly, she pointed ahead of them. A picket had stopped by the tree, fishing a pipe from his belt pouch.
 
Looking around them, the two realized that the pickets were well arranged, with all the pickets visible from the other picket's positions. As the man worked on lighting a taper with a small flint and steel, Merrill scanned the rest of the camp. Satisfied, she hand-signaled her plan to Louie, who nodded. Inch by inch, the two eased up behind the picket. Once the man had his pipe lit, Merrill flowed to her feet, slipped behind him, and drive a knife into the base of his skull, instantly killing him. Louie sprang up, catching the body and pushing it against the trunk of the tree while Merrill tugged a length of dark rope from her waist kit, swiftly tying the line around the man's chest, just below the armpits, then behind the tree trunk. With the line secured, she used her feet to knock the dead man's feet forward, making it look - from a distance - like he was leaning against the tree for a smoke.
 
Without waiting, the two crouched low and scuttled over toward the wall of the building. Reaching it, they crouched at the base of the wall, looking and listening for any signs of a hue or alarm. After a full minute, they crept toward the corner, seeking a way into the building. Louie had an irrelevant thought as he followed Merrill along the base of the crumbly wall: Is this what she does when she is stealing stuff? Merrill eased slowly forward, peeking around the corner. The wall was clear of guards, but there was no door on this side. Spotting a canvas tarp over a section of damaged wall, she smiled a closed-lip smile. Feeling behind her, she patted Louie's hand before slipping around the corner and scurrying to the tarp.
 
It was the work of an instant to silently cut the rope holding the corner down. Delicately easing the tarp back, she found herself looking into a faintly-lit room that held an archaic-looking wood and metal device. Scanning the room, she wiggled into the room the instant she was sure that no one was in the room at the moment. Behind her, she heard some faint sounds as Louie followed her through the rat-hole she had made. Giving him an annoyed look, she ghosted over to the door-less doorway, working her way around the angles to check the passage outside the room that connected to the other rooms. With the coast clear, she glanced back, motioning to Louie to follow her, only to see Louie frowning at the device.
 
“Hsst!” she hissed softly, catching his attention. Offering her a sheepish shrug, he hurried to follow her as she moved out of the room. Stepping softly and lightly, Merrill scouted the way to the next doorway, which actually had a door. Skillful fingers felt the door, exploring it for signs of a lock or bar. Finding none, she slowly eased the door open. As soon as it was cracked open enough to allow Merrill to snake her slender body through, the thief paused, listening for signs of her activity being noticed. Two minutes later, she slipped through swiftly, two knives ready to throw.
 
“Ila!” she gasped softly, seeing the familiar red-head sort of crumpled on a basic bed. No sooner had she breathed that than she silently cursed. Damn it! Behind her, she heard the door creak as Louie shoved it open impatiently.
 
“Ila?!” he blurted out. To Merrill, it sounded as loud as his trade-marked `Louie Punch!' war cry. Baring her teeth at him, she was certain that everyone in the camp had been awakened by the single word. Still, she couldn't be entirely mad at him; she was all to aware that if it had been her instead of Ila in a bind, Louie would have done exactly the same thing.
 
The red-head on the bed jerked at Louie's voice, her head snapping up as she twisted to look at the door. Merrill took an instant to give her a fast visual check, and when she didn't see any signs of major injury, she slipped behind Louie to check the hallway to see if the enemy was coming to check on the sounds. Louie dashed to where Ila was struggling to her feet. Wrapping Ila up in a hug, he pulled her upright. “Ila,” he breathed into her hair. The woman wrapped her arms around him.
 
“Louie,” she nearly sobbed. “I…I've been waiting for you…” she sniffed back tears.
 
“Sorry it took me so long,” he said, absently kissing the top of her head. “Are you ok?” he asked her, carefully easing her back to get a better look at her. Ila tilted her head back, smiling at him past her tears.
 
“I am now,” she nearly purred, hugging his chest tightly. Louie, with plenty of experience with the girl in his party under his belt, let his instincts rule him as he leaned down and kissed her, catching Ila off guard, though the girl made no move to protest the kiss.
 
“Come on, you two,” came an urgent whisper from the door, destroying the tender moment between Ila and Louie. “We have to get the hell out of here!” urged the thief.
 
“Sure, Merrill,” agreed Louie, not releasing Ila. To his surprise, the girl tugged on his arm.
 
“Just a second,” she hissed, sucking in a breath before chanting a spell in a low, angry voice. Releasing it, she gave Louie a girlish smile. “Ok!” she said. Dismissing whatever she had done as irrelevant, Louie led her out the door and toward a door on the far end of the structure from where he and Merrill had entered. It faced the north end of the camp, and would have the shortest run to the tree line. Merrill had paused to look back at the two, satisfied that they were close behind her, so when she turned back and found herself looking at a man in the doorway, she flinched.
 
“What…?” he began. Louie didn't hesitate. Without thought, he unloaded a punch that caught the man square in the face, his fist going over Merrill's head. The man flew back with a wet sound, skidding along the ground for a few feet before going still.
 
“Louie Punch,” muttered Louie after the fact.
 
“Idiot!” hissed Merrill as she heard a startled cry from a picket. Nearly instantly, a bright flash of light and a hard gust of wind came from the south side of the camp, a peal of thunder on the heels of the lightening. Louie grabbed his wand, swiftly casting the spell he had used to force his way into Ohfun when Dardanel had tried to usurp the throne from Rijarl. Ila blinked, seeing him cast the spell so clearly and swiftly. “Let's go!” cried out Merrill, already sprinting for the tree line.
 
Louie turned to Ila, noticing that she was lacking her boots as well as her shoulder wrap and skirt. Smiling at her, he scooped her up easily and dashed after Merrill, Ila content to let him carry her in his arms, a smile on her lips. Bare yards into the woods, Celecia dropped to the ground next to the trio.
 
“This way,” she said urgently, swiftly leading them through the woods as the hue and cry of the camp grew, then faded as the quartet ran through the woods in silence. “We'll go straight to the road and run for the nearest town,” the elf said tensely. Of course, I will be leaving you at the tree line, she left unsaid. An elf in a human town was not a good idea for either of the two races. “With luck, we should reach your friends as they come to meet us,” she added.
 
“That'd be nice,” puffed Merrill. She knew that she would have to keep up on her own this time, since Ila was in need of Louie's assistance now. “Do you think that they will try to follow us?” she wondered an hour later. The four of them were jogging now, having dropped from a run to jog to conserve energy.
 
“I don't know,” admitted Louie, “though if they do, I have some things I want to discuss with those bastards!” he snarled. Ila remained silent, her face resting against Louie's chest, her legs tucked close to Louie's side to keep from getting scratched or caught in the various limbs and undergrowth. Her arms were looped around his neck.
 
“If we can't meet up with the others on the road, I would just as soon that they not come after us,” Merrill disagreed. Louie grunted.
 
“Either way,” he said, “once Ila is safely back in the capital and we have linked up with Genie and Melissa, I'm going to hunt those bastards down and make them pay for what they did to my Ila,” he promised. Against his chest, Ila's eyes went wide as she heard him say that.
 
“Louie!” squealed the woman, feeling her entire body tingle.
 
“Yeah, Ila?” he replied immediately. Ila giggled at that.
 
“Oh, it's nothing, Louie,” she said happily, snuggling a bit closer to his chest.
 
“Um, ok,” came the baffled response from the long-haired man. Louie got more confused when Merrill began to giggle as well. “What, Merrill?” he asked her suspiciously.
 
“Oh, nothing, Louie,” tittered the thief. Nearly pouting, Louie and his party pushed on toward the road. They reached the road an hour later, and turned north. By the time that dawn broke the edge of the horizon to the right, the two humans were nearly staggering along the road. Ila had offered to walk a while back, but Louie refused, citing that the road was rough and likely to have horse, cow or ox droppings on it; none of which she would like to step in. Ila had not pressed the issue.
 
It was about a half hour since sunrise when they saw a mounted party riding toward them. Louie glanced at Ila, who had slipped free of his arms when he and Merrill had stopped when they saw the horsemen approaching. “Hey, Ila, I need to borrow your glasses again,” he said, plucking the girl's glasses from her face, swiftly duplicating the trick he had used when they had inadvertently ended up monster fishing on a lake.
 
“It's Genie and Melissa at the head of the group,” he reported to Merrill, who had been absently tossing a couple of knives in her hand. Hearing this, the small woman tucked her blades back into her harness. “And it looks like she raided aunt Jenny's temple for some extra priestesses, too,” he added, handing Ila's glasses back to her. “Thanks, Ila,” he said absently.
 
“Sure, Louie,” chirped Ila. Looking around, the three moved to the side of the road, sinking down to sit in the grass by the road, Ila in Louie's lap. Minutes later, the party of horsemen reigned in, Genie and Melissa nearly jumping off their horses and dashing to the three.
 
-
 
“They were gone when the priestesses and soldiers hit the camp?” asked Rijarl, frowning.
 
“I'm afraid so, your Majesty,” said Jenny. “The base was hastily abandoned, so they sent out riders to search for them, but we lost their trail when they reached a farm path on the far side of the woods west of the southern highway,” she said. “Louie made the decision to return to the capital at that point.”
 
Carwes blinked. “Louie chose to come back empty-handed? Amazing,” he murmured. Common sense from the impulsive young man was most unexpected, after all. Jenny smiled a mysterious little smile.
 
“Not really,” she demurred. “It makes perfect sense to me,” she teased the king and Carwes. Both men had known her long enough to know when she was baiting them, and neither took the bait.
 
“So, where are they now?” wondered Rijarl.
 
“Actually, they stopped off at a tavern the minute they hit the capital, and I think they are probably still there,” said Jenny. Rijarl chuckled.
 
“If nothing else, at least Master Auriza will stop pestering me about his daughter,” he mused. “I want you two to find out what they know about things - both as a group and individually,” instructed the king. “Miss Auriza should have something worthwhile to add to our knowledge of what this group is up to,” he suggested. “And perhaps you can entice Louie and his companions to share with us what they know of the ruins they found those scrolls in,” he marked off another item on his mental checklist.
 
“Speaking of those scrolls,” said Carwes, “I think Louie's hunch was right on the mark.”
 
“How so?” wondered Rijarl. Carwes collected his thoughts for a moment.
 
“They are from the ancient kingdom of magic, sire, and the arts within them have been lost for centuries. I have yet to examine all of them, but the few I have given cursory attention to quite frankly scare me.”
 
“Scare you?” blurted out Rijarl. Carwes was not known for his timid nature, and he was one of the greatest mages in all the kingdoms. If what was on those scrolls scared him, it must be truly terrifying in scope.
 
“My king, there are spells and artifacts described in those scrolls that could destroy the entire world. I read a brief treatise on trans-dimensional stacking that could allow for theoretically endless storage of golem armies, accessible through a simple cloth bag. I read of a device that could disassociate an area from the laws of nature. With what is written in one scroll, I could levitate this entire kingdom into the clouds - and keep it there for an eternity!” he said urgently. “These scrolls are too dangerous to be allowed free in any measure.”
 
“Why not just destroy them, then?” suggested the king. Carwes sighed.
 
“I am not sure that I could, your Majesty,” he said. “Not only are they ensorcelled in a manner I have never seen or heard of, but the act of destroying some of those spells could result in horrible destruction. I feel that for the time being, they be secured until some method of neutralizing them can be found,” he said. Rijarl glanced at High Priestess Jenny.
 
“Your thoughts, Jenny?” he asked.
 
“I agree with Carwes, my king,” said the High Priestess. “The existence of those scrolls and tomes must never be allowed to become know outside this room.”
 
“Who knows of them, save us and Louie's party?” asked Rijarl.
 
“Lily assisted me in the initial evaluation, and I suspect that Ila by now knows of them,” said the head of the Magicians' Guild.
 
“Let us keep it to that, then,” said the King. “By royal decree, we hereby forbid any mention of them from here on to anyone not already knowledgeable of them,” he decreed. “Find Louie and make sure he doesn't speak of them,” he added. “When you have learned what you may from Miss Auriza and Louie, please inform me,” he said. Sighing, he got up from the chair in the council room. “For now, I have the announcements to make about the impending marriages,” he said sourly.
 
“Yes, your Majesty,” said the two in unison, excusing themselves. Outside the room, Jenny spoke briefly with the two priestesses that stood by the door, one of them hurrying off, while the other fell into step with Jenny.
 
“Coming with us, Carwes?” asked the High Priestess, smiling at the man beside her. Carwes made an enquiring sound.
 
“And where are you going?” he wondered. Jenny smiled a wicked smile at him.
 
“Why, to find my Lou-Lou and his priestess, of course!” she purred playfully. Chuckling, Carwes nodded.
 
“I suppose we should, all things considered,” he said. “Though, I should speak with Lily about the matter Rijarl discussed with us,” he recalled. Jenny glanced at the priestess at her other side.
 
“Moein,” she addressed the girl, “you are to go to the Magicians' Guild, seek out Lily Corwell, and tell her that she is not to speak of the research she had been doing with Headmaster Carwes to anyone until after she has spoken with both me and Carwes. Understood?” she said.
 
“Yes, High Priestess,” the girl confirmed.
 
“You know what Lily looks like?” Jenny asked. The girl pursed her lips. Jenny gave her a hint. “She is the small red-head that has been at the temple a few times,” she hinted. The priestess's face lit up.
 
“I know her, High Priestess!” the girl chirped, hurrying off. Carwes and Jenny moved out of the castle and descended toward the town proper, which was at the base of the shallow hill that the castle stood on.
 
“You honestly think they are still at the tavern?” he asked as they moved down a side street. “And how do you know which tavern they went into?” he wondered.
 
“My priestesses are accurate and detailed in their reports, Carwes,” said the head of the Mylee order. “Also, I know where Melissa always goes when she meets her comrades,” she added. Carwes nodded.
 
“Ah. I see,” he replied. In short order, the two arrived at a tavern off the main streets, unmarked and unremarkable. Pushing the door open, the two entered.
 
“Sorry, we're closed,” came the distracted voice of the tavern keeper. “Come back in a few hours,” he added.
 
“We are looking for the five people who came here early this morning,” said Jenny firmly, not moving. The tavern keeper turned to look at the two, going pale when he recognized the tall, chestnut-haired head of the Temple, and the imposing white-haired head of the Magicians' Guild. Of the names on the list of people he dared not offend, these two were in the top three.
 
“My Lord and Lady,” he bowed to them, “please, forgive my rudeness!” he apologized. “I believe the people you are referring to left an hour or so ago,” he said. “Well, staggered out the door is more accurate,” he added, mostly to himself.
 
“They were drunk?” asked Jenny, vaguely amused by the possibility.
 
“I couldn't say for sure,” shrugged the man. “They looked dead tired when they came in, and while they had a lot to drink, it wasn't as much as they usually have,” he said.
 
“Do you know where they were headed?” asked Carwes. The tavern keeper shook his head.
 
“Sorry, my Lord, I don't,” he said. “Though,” he went on slowly, “I seem to recall the red-headed swordswoman saying something about cleaning up before getting some rest,” he shared. Carwes glanced at Jenny.
 
“Thank you, good man,” said the Priestess, motioning Carwes to follow her as she exited the tavern. “Bath house over by the main town well,” she said, heading off again. Carwes hummed.
 
“I am somewhat surprised that they are still awake, given the circumstances,” he idly observed to Jenny. Jenny snickered.
 
“Doubtlessly, he and Ila will sleep in classes, while Melissa will probably choose to stay with Genie or Merrill to avoid temple prayers until she can catch up on her sleep,” the woman suggested. In short order, the two were at the bathhouse. A quick enquiry to the attendant confirmed that the five had staggered in a little more than a half hour ago, and hadn't been out since.
 
Jenny swiftly suggested that Carwes look for Louie in the men's side, while she would look for the girls in the women's side. Carwes agreed, moving into the bath area, looking for his adopted son. With few people bathing at that time of day, it didn't take him long to find Louie, sound asleep in the corner of the large bath. Looking at the slumbering young man, he saw that Louie's sword was close to his right hand, while his wand was close to his left. Shaking his head, Carwes moved back to the entrance area to see what Jenny proposed doing.
 
Jenny slipped off her dress, bound up her hair, and began to check the women's side of the baths. She spotted the familiar Mylee battle dress in a basket, along with the purple bodysuit that Ila was known to wear, and the scarcity of cloth in a third had to mean the large barbarian swordswoman Genie. Sure that her prey was here, she moved past the large baths, not seeing any of the four women there. Past the baths was the steam room, and when she pushed upon the door, she found the four there, sprawled out on the wood benches, Merrill out cold, Ila nearly asleep, Melissa drowsy and Genie edging toward dozing.
 
“So, this is where you are,” she said, closing the door. Melissa blinked, seeing the head of her order in the room.
 
“High Priestess Jenny!” she breathed, straightening on her bench. Jenny sat down beside Melissa, who had Merrill's head on her thigh. “What brings you here?” she wondered. Jenny reached over to touch Ila's upper arm, which was bruised, a frown on her lips.
 
“We need to talk, Melissa,” said the woman, “all of us,” she added.
 
-
 
A soft moan came from the bed as a figure sat up, stretching their arms over their head. Blinking in the dim light of pre-dawn, the figure tossed back their waist-length blonde hair. “Oh, Littler's bed,” muttered Isabelle. She glanced over to see the prince still dozing next to her. I have morning service duty today, she recalled, slipping out of the bed. Better get to the temple quick, she thought.
 
Bending over, she picked up her underwear, swiftly settling it before pulling her dress on and tightening the lacing. Reaching back, she used her arm to toss her hair a few times. Her pussy was tender, her lower lips swollen after the fucking she had gotten last night from the prince. Thinking of Littler, she silently sighed. He's getting better, she told herself. Still, I suppose my expectations were too high. At least I can be pretty sure that Melissa is likely in a worse situation than I am, she told herself. “Isabelle?” came the sleepy voice of her prince.
 
“Oh, sorry to wake you, my prince,” she said, turning to the bed, where Littler was sitting up. “I have to perform morning services in the temple today, so I have to go,” she explained, stepping into her boots and tugging on the calf strap before buckling it. Beside the door, her pole hammer waited.
 
“Oh,” replied Littler, rubbing his eyes. “Well, I guess I will see you later, then,” he said. Isabelle managed a smile.
 
“Of course, my champion,” she assured him. “I believe that the King is expecting you for breakfast,” she reminded him. Littler blinked.
 
“You're right,” he groaned. “I better get going, too,” he said, moving out of bed. “I think I have time for a bath first,” he said to himself. Isabelle wished she had time to bathe before leading the novice priestesses and third year acolytes in the morning services to their god. I likely reek of sex, she realized, biting back a complaint. This is just the way it has to be, since I foreswore my vows, she reminded herself.
 
“Isabelle,” called out the prince as the priestess touched the door latch in preparation to depart his chambers, “you know, right? About the announcement my father will make today?” he prompted.
 
“Yes, my prince, I do,” she said calmly. “What of it?” she asked him.
 
“I…” Littler stopped, reconsidering his choice of words. “That is, we will have to adjust to the change in situation,” he said. Isabelle nodded.
 
“That is understood, my champion,” she said tonelessly. “You have your duties, and I have mine,” she added firmly.
 
“So…?” he trailed off.
 
“So it will be as it will be,” said Isabelle. “Forgive me, but I must hurry,” she said, stepping through the door and swiftly marching down the hall toward the gate to the castle. She had a lot of ground to cover and little time to do it.
 
As she cleared the gate to the castle, she looked at the rising sun, sighing in irritation as she realized that she was already late. Jogging, she moved toward the temple, even though she knew it was too late. All but bursting through the gate, she absently returned the genuflections of the two second-year acolytes guarding the gate, impatiently hurrying to the chapel.
 
Nearing it, she gritted her teeth, seeing that the doors were closed. That meant that the morning services were already started. High Priestess Jenny will chew me out for this, she thought sourly. Of more concern to her than the looming lecture by the head of the order was the nagging thought that she would rather have spent the night in her bed in the temple than entertaining her prince. That realization bothered her more than she thought possible.
 
Easing into the chapel, she blinked, seeing Melissa conducting the morning service. Looking around swiftly, she saw no sign of High Priestess Jenny. Looking back at her order-sister, she met Melissa's level gaze, the other blonde priestess giving her a fractional nod, never missing a step in the service. Silently, Isabelle sank down on a vacant seat at the far back of the chapel, automatically joining in the service.
 
When the morning service was concluded, she silently waited while the novices and acolyte priestesses exited the chapel for their daily training cycles. Melissa was the last to approach the exit. “Thank you, Melissa,” said Isabelle softly. Melissa managed a smile for her fellow priestess.
 
“No problem, Isabelle,” she said. “I was already up, so when I saw you weren't in your room, I took over the services. High Priestess Jenny is busy with something else, so no one will know,” she assured Isabelle. Isabelle was studying Melissa's face. There was a strange almost-radiance to her sister priestess.
 
“What's with the glow?” asked Isabelle, stepping out of the chapel with Melissa.
 
“Hmm?” hummed Melissa absently.
 
“Something good happen to you?” asked Isabelle. Melissa gave her bright, open smile.
 
“Yes, I suppose it did,” she agreed casually. Looking closer at Isabelle, she frowned. “Isabelle, you look a little less polished than usual,” she said honestly. Isabelle crushed a scowl.
 
“Running late this morning,” she said sourly.
 
“Oh. I see,” said Melissa. Isabelle didn't need to look at Melissa to know that Melissa had figured out what Isabelle was talking about. “You…should take a bath, then,” said the other blonde carefully. “I think you are supposed to be giving the third-years their advanced scouting exam, aren't you?” she asked. Isabelle nodded.
 
“A good idea, Melissa. What have you been given to do?” she asked. Melissa didn't immediately answer.
 
“Actually, Isabelle,” she said, “I have no assignments at the moment,” she shared. “I am going to be meeting up with Louie in a couple of hours, and we are to appear before the King just before noon,” she said.
 
“Do you know what about?” wondered Isabelle. Melissa shrugged.
 
“Either the destruction of the castle last year, or this latest situation,” she surmised. Isabelle noticed that she didn't seem concerned either way, and said so. “I'm not, really,” Melissa dismissed the observation. “Whatever happens, happens,” she said, smiling once more.
 
“You have changed a lot, Melissa,” said the other blonde. Melissa blinked.
 
“I have?” she wondered. Isabelle nodded.
 
“Yes. I practically don't recognize you,” she admitted. The two reached Isabelle's room. “I better get that bath,” said the other blonde. “Oh, before I forget, how is Miss Ila doing?” she asked. Melissa shrugged negligently.
 
“I think she will be fine; she was a bit stressed out and got roughed up a little, but nothing serious enough to worry about,” she said. “She and Louie are resting at the Guild,” added the priestess. Isabelle considered that.
 
“I…see,” said the taller blonde. Just then, one of Melissa's Trio came dashing around the corner. Gannet waved at Melissa.
 
“Miss Melissa, Miss Melissa!” she called out, “someone to see you!”
 
“Who is it?” wondered Melissa. Gannet knew damn well who Louie was, and any of the others could come into the temple proper, since they were women. “It's not my champion, is it?” she wondered. If Gannet is snubbing him again, I will teach her better manners! she thought angrily. Gannet shook her head.
 
“No, Miss Melissa, it isn't Louie,” said the girl. Melissa blinked. There was a tone of respect in the girl's voice that hadn't been there last time she had spoken with the girl about Louie. “It is some weird guy,” she said, disapproval in her tone.
 
“You seem to be popular, Melissa,” sniped Isabelle in a purring whisper. Melissa sighed.
 
“Apparently so,” she said, moving toward the main temple entrance to see who was asking for her. “I will see you later, Isabelle,” she called out over her shoulder.
 
“Yes, later, Melissa,” Isabelle said, stepping into her room to grab her bath supplies.
 
-
 
Louie hid a yawn behind his hand as he walked toward the entrance to the throne room. Beside him, Ila was busy checking her gown one final time. Rather than the usual purple body suit and skirt, she was wearing a semi-formal gown, since she was once more seeing the king. Louie, as always, was wearing his shirt and pants and seemed half-asleep. Nearing the doors, he frowned. “That's strange,” he murmured.
 
“Hmm? What's strange, Louie?” replied Ila, her attention shifting to the young man.
 
“I don't see Melissa or the others,” he said. Ila looked around as well.
 
“You're right, Louie,” she said. “They were supposed to be here, weren't they?” she wondered. Louie nodded.
 
“I'm pretty sure that they were,” he agreed. “Hey, guard, you seen a priestess of the Mylee order around, or a tall swordswoman or a short brunette girl?” he asked the guard at the door. The guard shook his head.
 
“No, sir,” he said. Ila looked up at Louie.
 
“What do you want to do, Louie? Should we wait for them?” she asked. Louie considered that for a moment.
 
“I think…” he began, only to catch sight of Genie's imposing form rounding a corner. She was assisting a man in armor and bandages toward the council hall. “Genie!” yelled out Louie, waving. Genie used one hand to wave back. When she and the injured man got closer, she spoke to Louie.
 
“This is a friend of mine; from before,” she said, alluding to the time she had been a mercenary in the army of Rijarl as he was fighting the nobles who opposed him after he seized the throne. “These days, he's the captain of the Royal Lancers,” added the woman, grinning the man.
 
“Ah, the legendary Louie,” the man said, sounding weak. “Please pardon my appearance; I seem to have run afoul of a bowman,” he said, offering a weak chuckle.
 
“Hey, save your voice, idiot,” chided Genie. “You'll need it to talk your way out of the king's displeasure,” she grinned at him. The man gave her a sour look.
 
“Always the one with a kind word, eh, Genie?” he rejoined. Genie shrugged.
 
“Who's the walking corpse?” came Merrill's voice from behind Ila. The short thief had arrived while Louie and Ila were bantering with Genie and her friend.
 
“Hey, Merrill,” said Louie. Once more, he looked around. Genie, Ila and Merrill immediately picked up on his behavior.
 
“Something wrong?” asked Merrill.
 
“We expected to find Melissa here,” explained Ila. Merrill hummed.
 
“Well, she was at the temple earlier this morning, so she should have gotten here faster than me,” she shrugged.
 
“That's right,” recalled Louie, “you went to check on your house,” he recalled.
 
“If you can call it that,” sighed Merrill. “I have got to get rid of those idiot shades!” she carped. “If it weren't for the rose vines, the house would have fallen apart by now!” she bitched.
 
“Hey, you can stay with me while we get it fixed up,” offered Genie. Merrill nodded her thanks.
 
“Thanks, Genie,” she said. “Melissa offered to share her room at the temple with me, but…” she shrugged. Ila suspected that living in a temple was less preferable to Merrill than living with undying shades of warring knights. “Speaking of that, how was your place?” she asked her tall comrade.
 
“Roof's pretty much shot, and there are scabs of mortar flaking from the outer walls, but the structure is sound. Couple of days work, and it's good as new,” the barbarian assured her. Looking at the pale face of her friend, she tossed her head toward the council room. “Let's get inside and wait for Melissa there; he needs to sit down before he passes out,” she explained.
 
“Oh! How thoughtless of us!” gasped Ila, having forgotten that the man had been holed by arrows not that long ago. The five swiftly moved into the room, finding that the king, High Priestess Jenny and Headmaster Carwes were already there.
 
“Hey, aunt Jenny; old man,” Louie greeted his adopted father and aunt as he grabbed a chair and helped Genie get the injured captain settled.
 
“Louie, you're supposed to greet the king first,” whispered Ila to Louie.
 
“Really?” wondered the long-haired young adventurer. “Why?” Ila sighed, shaking her head.
 
“Never mind,” she dismissed it. It would take too long to explain, she thought absently. “Your majesty,” she said, giving the king a graceful bow.
 
“It is nice to see you again, lady Ila,” Rijarl said. Genie, looking at Louie over the head of her injured friend, caught a trace of a frown on Louie's face at the remark. Oh! I do believe that our Louie doesn't like the notion of the king being around his Ila, she thought. A small smile forced its way onto her lips.
 
“I appreciate the kindness, my king,” said the girl. Merrill schooled her face to impassivity as she heard the coolness in Ila's voice. No easy points to be had off her, that's for sure! thought the thief. I'd bet Darling Jar that Ila'd choose Louie over Rijarl on any basis of comparison, she thought with wicked glee. Kings are all well and good, but…
 
“Aunt Jenny, do you know where Melissa is?” asked Louie absently, positioning a chair behind Ila. Jenny frowned.
 
“She should have been here by now, Louie,” the priestess replied. “It is possible she got delayed with temple matters,” she added, recalling that a huge number of the third- and fourth-year acolytes and priestesses had been clamoring for some of her time since she returned to the temple.
 
“Well, if that is the case, we might as well begin,” said Rijarl. “I am told that you were made to work an ancient artifact during your captivity, lady Ila,” he said. Ila nodded. “What can you tell us of the exact nature of this device and the man who possesses it?” he asked her.
 
“It is an artifact from distant past - probably the Kingdom of Magic, though I have no proof that,” began Ila. “It manipulated time in a field; it also, to a degree, appears to affect contiguous interfaces within that field,” she said, her finger absently touching her glasses. “I believe that it can do far more, but I was not about to try and find out, given my circumstances,” she said. Louie absently touched her hand.
 
“You did great, Ila,” he assured her. Merrill and Genie nodded at the mage in support.
 
“Thanks, guys,” murmured Ila. “But as I was saying, this device was crafted like another I have seen before, so I had some idea of what to look for and how to proceed.”
 
“Another device like the one this one had?” asked Carwes. Ila slowly nodded.
 
“Um, yeah, my old teacher had one,” she said, reluctant to admit to what the device had done to summer two years ago. “It was destroyed, though,” she pushed that topic aside.
 
“How did it seem to be made, Ila?” wondered Carwes, his curiosity aroused.
 
“It is just my opinion, Headmaster,” the girl said, “but it seemed that they made them by imprinting the basic foundation spell work on a tree as it grew, then - when it was ready - they crafted the actual artifact, sealing, reinforcing and activating the initial spells. In this way, the carrying capacity of the wood is enhanced and the power of the artifact is boosted. The very fact that the device still worked is testament to the skill necessary to craft it,” she lectured.
 
“Ingenious,” nodded Carwes.
 
“The actual controls were by means of a focus crystal and two conductor gems. I found that when the spell was activated, the user had to cast the core spell in active form, rather than standard structure form; I can only surmise that the advanced capabilities of the device are dependant on having access to the foundation spell structure. I made no attempt to access that structure, of course,” she said.
 
“I should think not!” Carwes agreed fervently.
 
“So, we have to find this device before he can find another mage to use it,” murmured Rijarl. Ila shook her head.
 
“That won't be possible,” said Ila.
 
“How so?” asked Rijarl of the girl. Ila looked over at Louie, smiling.
 
“That spell I cast when you came to save me,” she said to him, “did you happen to catch it?” she asked him. Louie frowned.
 
“It sounded kind of familiar, but…” he shrugged. “Sorry, Ila,” he chuckled. Ila just smiled.
 
“I cast a disruptive counter-energy spell on the artifact,” she said. “I am sure that I know that machine far better than anyone living,” she said firmly, “and as I learned how to work it, I figured out a way to sabotage it. When Louie came for me, I cast the spell. Next time someone tries to use it, it will unravel.”
 
“Unravel?” wondered Rijarl.
 
“She means explode,” said Louie, grinning at Ila. “Man, Ila, I'm impressed!” he praised her. Ila blushed.
 
“I just tried to think what you would do in my position,” she said modestly. “Since I couldn't `Louie Punch' it, I had to come up with something else,” she explained.
 
“And if they do not try to use it?” wondered Jenny. Ila shrugged.
 
“Within two years - three at the most! - it will be no more than a pile of wood,” she said confidently. “The counter-energy spell will drain the artifact by parasitic negation,” she said. Of all the ones in the room, only Carwes understood her, though the others were willing to trust her word.
 
“That makes sense,” muttered the captain of the lancers, mostly to himself. “If there was a magic field around him, then…”
 
“Yes,” said Ila, looking at the man. “I'm sorry, but that is exactly what happened to you,” she said. “You and your men were the first field test of the device,” she said.
 
“You were in the woods, weren't you?” he asked her, his eyes hard. Louie leaned closer to Ila in unconscious reaction to the look in the man's eyes. Genie put a hand on the captain's shoulder.
 
“Easy,” she murmured to him. “Ila didn't have a choice,” she added quietly.
 
“And the village?” asked Jenny softly.
 
“Final test before that maniac planned to march on the capital,” said Ila. “Fortunately, Louie cast that spell, and I was able to channel the blowback into the main regulation spell.” Ila grimaced. “The results were more spectacular than I had hoped for, and I spent a good part of the next day or two recovering. It did make my excuse that the machine was damaged more believable,” she noted.
 
“Was it damaged?” wondered Rijarl. Ila held out her hand, tilting it from side to side.
 
“It was, but I could have restarted it within an hour, had I wished to,” she said.
 
“So, what of this man?” asked the king. “You said he planned to march on the capital. Is he a deposed noble, then?” wondered the king. Ila shook her head.
 
“I don't think so, your majesty,” she said. “He might have started out in their employ, but when he found the artifact, he seems to have gone into business for himself,” she said. “He was not entirely sane, I think,” she added a moment later, recalling his ranting after the first few tests of the machine. Glancing at Louie, she saw him frowning, deep in thought. “What's wrong, Louie?” she asked him.
 
“I think I have read about something like that before,” he said. “It seems familiar, but I can't quite place it…ow! Merrill!” he yelled, rubbing his head where Merrill had smacked him.
 
“How about now?” grinned the small woman gleefully. Genie hid her smile.
 
“Oh, yeah!” chuckled the young man. “That scroll! Hey, old man, where are those things I had Melissa and Genie bring to you and Aunt Jenny?” he wondered.
 
“As you suggested, they are secure,” said Carwes carefully. “Why?”
 
“Well, there is one scroll that talks about this machine,” shrugged Louie. Ila was instantly alert.
 
“Really? It has the foundation spell framework in it? Does it have the characteristics of the artifact in there, too?!” she asked eagerly. Louie shrugged.
 
“My ancient Alseric is a bit rusty, Ila,” he admitted. Ila jerked her head around to look at Carwes. “I want a look at that, if I can, Headmaster,” she requested. Carwes glanced at Jenny before nodding.
 
“It can be arranged,” he said.
 
“Oh, Louie, where did you find this scroll?” wondered Ila, turning back to Louie.
 
“In the ruins in the Black Tree Reach,” shrugged Louie. “You should have been there; we could have used your skills in that room,” he recalled. Ila frowned.
 
“I don't do so good in those kind of circumstances, Louie,” she reminded him. “What room?” she added. Louie briefly described the room. Ila hummed, thinking hard.
 
“Headmaster, I really need to look at those scrolls,” said the girl, her tone uncharacteristically serious. “The sooner, the better,” she added. Carwes picked up on her mood.
 
“You suspect something, Ila?” he asked her. She nodded.
 
“It is just a theory, but…we might have a bigger worry,” she said. Rijarl didn't need to hear any more.
 
“Carwes, take her to the scrolls,” he said. Turning to Jenny, he saw her smiling at him. “I see you already know what I have in mind, Jenny,” he chuckled. “Very well,” he said, moving to the door. Opening it, he spoke to the guard outside the door. “We require the presence of my son and his companions immediately. Pass the word,” he said. Carwes and Ila slipped out of the room. Louie started to move after the girl, but Rijarl blocked his way. “One moment, Louie,” said the king.
 
“What do you want?” wondered Louie. “I have to catch up to Ila,” he half-explained. Genie and Merrill exchanged glances.
 
“Lou-lou,” came Jenny's voice. Louie winced.
 
“Come on, Aunt Jenny, do you have to call me that?” he asked in a pained voice.
 
“Behave and I won't have to,” she replied pleasantly.
 
“Sorry,” sighed Louie. Jenny smiled.
 
“As I was saying,” the king began, only to have someone knock on the door. Opening it, he found that Littler and party were already there. “Ah, come in,” said the king, motioning the other group into the room. Littler did so, Isabelle just behind him, followed by Lily and Jackinson.
 
“Yes, father?” asked the crown prince.
 
“Isabelle, have you seen Melissa?” asked Jenny. Isabelle frowned.
 
“She didn't come here right after morning services?” asked Isabelle.
 
“No. We have not seen her,” said Jenny. Louie frowned.
 
“She had a visitor after morning services, but when she didn't come back to the temple proper, I assumed…” began Isabelle. From outside the room, they heard the sound of running feet. A moment later, there was a pounding on the door.
 
“High Priestess Jenny!” came a girl's voice. “High Priestess Jenny!” she repeated. Jenny swiftly moved to the door. Opening it, they found five priestesses of Mylee outside the door, the guard stationed there lying unconscious by the wall, victim of the girls' haste.
 
“What is it?” asked Jenny crisply and calmly.
 
“This was delivered to the temple minutes ago,” cried out the first white-clad priestess, holding out a folded letter. Jenny picked up the paper, reading it swiftly. “What do we do, High Priestess Jenny?” the girl nearly wailed. Louie saw his aunt crumple the paper in her hand.
 
“We follow the laws of our order, acolyte,” Jenny said coldly, her voice soft with rage. “Return to the temple and assemble the order,” she directed firmly.
 
“Jenny?” asked Rijarl, a little worried at the coldness of the woman's voice. Jenny turned to stare at the king for a moment. Rijarl didn't realize that he had taken a step away from the look in Jenny's eyes until his hip brushed a chair arm.
 
“It seems that someone has taken Melissa,” said the head of the order. Louie, Genie and Merrill scowled at the news.
 
“Taken her?” wondered Isabelle. Jenny ignored that.
 
“The person or party behind this demands the return of Ila in exchange for Melissa,” she said coldly. “I forbid this.”
 
“But…!” protested Isabelle.
 
“I forbid it, Isabelle!” snapped Jenny, locking gazes with the other priestess. “Melissa is a priestess of the Mylee order,” snarled the chestnut-haired woman, “as such, she will follow the code of our order. We cannot allow Ila to be taken once more, even if it costs Melissa her life.”
 
“It won't,” said Louie. “I'm going to get her back; and I have a Louie Punch with this bastard's name on it!” he spat.
 
“We're with you,” said Genie, speaking for herself and Merrill.
 
“High Priestess Jenny has forbidden…” began Isabelle.
 
“She can forbid all she wants,” shrugged Louie, “but I am not a member of your order, and I'm going to get Melissa back, beat the hell out of this jerk, and then go get those souvenirs I found for Ila,” he stated.
 
“And so are we!” added Merrill. “Melissa is one of us,” added the girl.
 
“Would you be willing to listen to a proposal?” came the unexpected voice of Lily.