Louie The Rune Soldier Fan Fiction ❯ Valiant Champion Or Something Like It ❯ Chapter 10

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Valiant Champion or Something Like It
 
By: AZ Mark II
 
Disclaimer: ADV Films and/or J.C. Staff own this one, not me.
 
-
 
“It doesn't look like they are going to show,” muttered the man angrily. Looking at the bound form of Melissa, he scowled at her. “Apparently, they don't care for you as much as I had been led to believe,” he said. Melissa glared at him.
 
“I am a priestess of Mylee,” she said coldly. “My life is of no importance when weighed against the good of the kingdom, and my champion knows that very well!” she spat. “I am not a magician, and Ila will never be in your possession again, either! You were a fool to try this desperate ploy,” sneered the girl.
 
“You think that highly of the idiot's judgment, do you?” laughed the man. Melissa bared her teeth at the slur against her champion.
 
“I do,” she said harshly. Their argument was interrupted by a bird call from the woods just behind them. Forgetting the captured priestess, the man avidly looked to the narrow path that led to the small clearing where he had directed them to bring Ila. Instead of a party of soldiers, or the magician, he found himself looking at a small figure approaching them. Melissa caught sight of the figure, blinking. That looks like… she tried to get a closer look at the figure.
 
“Who are you?” called out the man, his sword in his hand. Melissa knew that it was more to distract the other party than to defend himself; there were a full dozen men in the woods, and three archers, the rest of the party must be spread out behind the two to secure the escape route. “You are not the magician Ila,” he added.
 
“No, I am not,” said the small figure. “I am here to tell you that the Auriza woman will not be coming.”
 
“Who are you?” the man demanded. “And if Ila isn't returned to me, I will kill this priestess!” he warned the small figure.
 
“I am Lily Corwell, heir to the throne of Faun,” stated the girl. “The Auriza woman will not be returned to you because I killed her,” added the small sorceress calmly. Melissa gasped along with the man.
 
“You…killed her?!” sputtered the man. Lily nodded.
 
“She had something I wanted, and wouldn't give it to me, so I killed her for it,” said the girl.
 
“Lily!” screamed Melissa. “How could you…!” she began, only to have the man kick her.
 
“Shut up!” he hissed. “What did she have that you wanted enough to kill her? And why come here?” he asked suspiciously.
 
“Recently, a discovery was made in the Black Tree Reach,” said Lily calmly, her tone bored, “in a ruin there, scrolls from the ancient kingdom were found. Among the scrolls was one that described the use of the device you have,” said the girl.
 
“Lily! Don't!” yelled Melissa, earning another kick from the man.
 
“A scroll that described the use of my artifact?” the man asked, betraying his keen interest. “Do you have the scroll?” he asked her. Lily shook her head.
 
“Unfortunately, it was damaged when I was surprised by some of the Guild in the Auriza woman's rooms,” she said.
 
“Then what good…?” began the man, only to have Lily talk over him.
 
“I did read the scroll, though,” noted Lily, “and I have the notes that the Auriza woman made, as well. Did you know that she was deliberately downplaying the capability of the device?” asked Lily.
 
“You little traitor…!” hissed Melissa angrily. Lily fixed her gaze on Melissa.
 
“That has ever been my role, priestess,” she said indifferently before turning her attention back to the man. “Also, she was lying when she said that the device was damaged by that spell outside that village; it can be restarted within a hour,” said the girl.
 
“And you can not only start it, but work it to the full extent of the artifact's capabilities?” the man guessed. Lily nodded.
 
“I can,” she paused, “for a price, of course,” she added. The man gave her a thin smile.
 
“So, you are that sort,” he muttered to himself. “Very well, Lily Corwell, what is your price?” he asked her.
 
“I find myself in a bit of a bind at the moment, since I am being hunted by the Guild for the murder of the Auriza woman. I need an ally. Since you have the device, and I have the spells to work it, I propose an alliance.”
 
“Go on,” said the man, interested.
 
“I regain my throne from the usurper Rijarl, and my kingdom. In exchange, I will give you the rest of the kingdoms as your own,” she said. “My kingdom will be completely autonomous from your rule, and you will never set foot within it, while I will not interfere with your lands. Agreed?” she suggested. The man slowly nodded.
 
“Agreed,” he said.
 
“Furthermore,” Lily went on, “I will wield my power in support of our mutual interests in exchange for possession of any relics of the Kingdom of Magic that might be found,” she said. The man considered this for a moment.
 
“I will agree, provided that I retain control of the artifact I now posses, and you train a mage in the use of it,” he countered. Lily seemed to consider this.
 
“I suppose I could do that,” she said. From behind the sorceress, another bird call sounded. “It would seem that we have no more time for negotiations,” said the girl. “My pursuers have found me once more,” she said. “Do we have an accord?” she asked the man.
 
“We do, Lily Corwell,” he confirmed. “We best be away from here quickly,” he added, sheathing his sword and turning to grab Melissa.
 
“Don't bother,” said Lily coldly. “The priestess has seen and heard too much to be allowed to live,” she said, extending her staff and incanting a spell.
 
“Damn you,” hissed Melissa, “Louie will settle this with you,” she warned as Lily released the spell. Instantly, the priestess was enveloped in a haze of crackling purple energy. The man skipped back, cursing as a pain-wracked shriek came from the purple nimbus. A moment later, it dissipated, revealing a charred husk.
 
“Take me to the device,” said Lily dispassionately. “Quickly,” she urged, the sound of riders growing closer down the narrow path. With a final look at the twisted, blackened corpse of the priestess, the man jerked his head.
 
“This way,” he said, jogging into the woods. Lily hurried after him, sparing hardly a glance at what had once been Melissa. Moments later, the pair were riding through the trees, surrounded by his men. “You certainly are ruthless, Lily,” said the man. “To not only kill a member of the Magicians' Guild, but to murder a priestess of the Mylee order in cold blood! You and I, I think, will prove to be excellent allies,” he smiled. Lily maintained her aloof tone.
 
“Don't mistake our alliance for anything other than an alliance of need,” she cautioned him. “I am, after all, looking out for my own interests,” she pointed out. The man nodded.
 
“But of course,” he replied easily. “Tell me, just how powerful is this artifact?” he asked her.
 
“It can control time itself,” said the small sorceress. “Were it not for that artifact, I would never have dared act as I did, for without it, the Guild and the Temple would surely have their revenge on us both.”
 
“But with it, we are beyond their reach?” the man suggested. Lily nodded.
 
“Far beyond their reach,” she agreed. “But we must reach it before our pursuers catch us,” she reminded him. He nodded.
 
“We will ride through the night, then, and reach our new camp by tomorrow evening. Can you make it that long?” he wondered. Lily nodded.
 
“I can,” she assured him grimly.
 
-
 
“She's coming around now,” a voice drifted into her awareness. Dimly she could feel someone shaking her. “Wake up now,” urged the voice. Sluggishly, the woman fought her way toward awareness. “You sure that the spell has been countered?” asked the voice.
 
“Positive,” replied a rich, steady voice. “Give her a moment, and she will be fine,” the other voice assured the first.
 
“Ugh,” moaned the woman, opening her green eyes.
 
“Miss Melissa!” exclaimed Joan. The third-year had been holding her idol's head in her lap, and was very much relieved to see her stir. “Do you feel all right?” worried the priestess. Melissa managed to sit up.
 
“I…think so,” she murmured, looking at herself. Her white field dress was wrinkled a little, but that was all that seemed to be wrong with her. After being hit by a spell from Lily point blank, I would have thought that…! “Lily! She's betrayed us!” gasped the priestess.
 
“I'm glad you think so,” came the same voice she had heard before. Turning to look to her side, she saw Headmaster Carwes smiling at her. “If you believed she had betrayed us, then it would only strengthen the story,” he explained. Beside the magician, High Priestess Jenny smiled at Melissa.
 
“I…don't understand,” she admitted. Carwes hummed, but didn't make any further comments.
 
“Do you feel ready to pursue them, Melissa?” asked Jenny. Melissa noticed that the head of her order was in a battle dress, pole hammer in hand, her long chestnut hair tied back in preparation for fighting.
 
“Yes, High Priestess,” said Melissa. “We should be able to track them…”
 
“There is no need of that,” said Carwes. “We know precisely where they are, and where they are heading,” he said. “And even if we didn't, there is no way that we could possibly miss the signal,” he added grimly, glancing at Jenny. “I still think you should reconsider this, Jenny,” he said softly to the woman.
 
“That is not possible, Carwes,” she said just as softly, though her tone was hard. “They must all be punished for their desecration of our order,” she said. Carwes sighed. Fighting was not his favorite thing, but he knew enough about it from his early days to know when not to bother arguing. I almost feel sorry for those poor bastards, he thought, almost...
 
Melissa stood, seeing Gannet hold out her pole hammer to her. Looking around, she saw a large number of white-clad priestesses waiting on horseback. Did the High Priestess call out the whole order? she wondered, scanning faces. No, not quite, though I think there is nearly every third-year or better priestess out here, she decided.
 
“Melissa!” came a familiar call from the edge of the clearing. Spinning to look that direction, she saw Louie waving to her from horseback. On either side, Merrill and Genie waved too. Anna led a horse over to her, and Melissa swung up into the saddle, seeing Jenny likewise mount her horse. Nudging the horse's flanks with her heels, she trotted over to where her three companions were waiting. “Now that you've had your beauty sleep, Melissa, are you ready to put some hurting on these idiots?” asked Louie.
 
“Louie,” breathed the girl, knowing that her cheeks bore the signs of her blush. “Yes, Louie, I'm ready,” she said. Nodding, he pointed to the woods.
 
“Then let's get going,” he said. “Aunt Jenny is giving us a piece of the action this time, and we have to be in position when Lily signals, or some might get away,” he explained.
 
“What about Ila?” asked Melissa, hating to remind him of another girl when she was by his side, but unable to indulge herself in petty jealousy.
 
“Safe and sound in the Guild library,” said the long-haired man. “My old man is going back there, and he and Ila will be reviewing the scrolls we found. Something is bothering Ila about the ruins we discovered them in,” shrugged the man, unconcerned. “Meanwhile, we get to go with Aunt Jenny and your order-sisters to take care of these fools,” he added grimly.
 
“We have to catch them at the border, where there aren't any places for them to hide,” added Genie. “The king has sent out fast-moving parties of mixed units to help herd them and support us if necessary, but mostly, this is a Mylee temple party,” she explained.
 
“When Lily signals, it is time to get some payback for what they did to Ila and you,” Merrill joined in.
 
“Oh, yeah, did they hurt you, Melissa?” asked Louie. Melissa smiled.
 
“No, Louie,” she said. “I'm fine!” she assured him, forgetting about the kicks from the man and some assorted lumps and bumps.
 
“Then, let's go,” he smiled at her. Melissa nodded, smiling back. Together, the four moved forward, Jenny watching them go before waving her arm, her order forming up on her and following her as she followed the four adventurers into the forest.
 
-
 
“Well, here it is,” said the man, swinging out of his saddle easily. Lily dismounted, hiding the pain she felt. Her eyes immediately settled on the artifact situated on the heavy wagon. “Will you get started immediately?” he pressed.
 
“Not immediately,” said Lily. “I need a few minutes to stretch my legs and a bit of food and water would help, as well,” she said, eyes on the device. The man flipped a hand at one of his men.
 
“Food and water for the lady,” he said curtly. Lily absently caressed the head of her staff. “Anything wrong?” he asked. Lily shook her head.
 
“No,” she said, turning toward the bushes. “Excuse me a moment,” she said, moving behind a bush and squatting. She was back when the henchman approached her with a plate of rough but filling food and a large leather canteen of water. Lily took the offered food and drink, eating calmly and taking lengthy pulls from the water skin.
 
Once that was done, she sighed as she casually tossed the plate aside, though she still held on to the water bottle. “I am going to start re-activating the device now,” she said calmly. “Keep your men back a safe distance. Once it is activated, I will run some tests on the basic functions before trying the higher ones. This could be dangerous to anyone within a test field, so keep your men at a distance and if I tell you to move them to an area, do so - or risk losing them. Are we clear?” she asked him, her eyes on the machine.
 
“Perfectly,” he gave her a half-bow. Now this is how I envisioned the artifact being used! he thought gleefully. I see now that rather than grabbing a reluctant magician, I needed a willing magician if I am to take my rightful place. Lily Corwell, he was sure, was just the sort to use all the power the artifact contained. Turning to his men, he gave his orders about not approaching the small girl, who was already climbing up to the jewels he had seen Ila use to control the machine.
 
-
 
“In position, High Priestess,” said the white-clad fourth-year priestess to the head of the order. “We have them surrounded,” she confirmed. Jenny nodded.
 
“Good. Cavalry force?” she asked.
 
“Six groups of twenty, waiting for the signal from Lily, High Priestess,” the fourth-year answered. “Retrieval group is ready, as well,” added the younger priestess. Jenny nodded.
 
“Good. Now we wait,” said the head of the order, her hand absently caressing the shaft of her pole hammer. It shouldn't be long, she thought.
 
“High Priestess?” asked the other woman.
 
“Yes?”
 
“Isn't there a timing issue?” worried the younger of the two. “I mean, we started out behind the enemy, and they were pressing hard, judging from the tracks, so how is it we managed to get in position before the signal?”
 
“You needn't worry,” Jenny dismissed the topic. “All is as Mylee wills it,” she reminded the younger priestess. Or as Lily dares risk it, as it happens, she left unsaid.
 
“Of course,” acquiesced the other. Time passed. “What kind of signal will it be, High Priestess?”
 
“What does it matter?” asked Jenny.
 
“I just worry that we might not see it in time,” explained the younger of the two.
 
“No fear of that,” Jenny said placidly. Carwes and Ila both assured me that it would be impossible to miss, she recalled, and I trust them to know their magic. “Go and remind the younger girls that they are to make sure that their mounts are securely tied, and to remain on foot until after the signal,” she instructed.
 
“Yes, High Priestess,” responded the priestess, hurrying off. Jenny visualized the area around them in her mind, going over the deployment of her daughters yet again. We should be able to roll them up nicely, she thought. Looking to the side, she caught sight of the retrieval group. Louie and his three comrades were in a huddle near the front. They would dash forward as fast as they could and search for Lily. Once they found the girl, they would fall back as the order closed in on the target in force.
 
-
 
“Lily, how much longer?” asked the man, daring to approach the girl. Lily turned a dispassionate gaze on him.
 
“You are in a rush?” she asked him, her tone detached.
 
“We are being pursued by the Guild and the Mylee order, are we not?” he reminded her. Lily hummed.
 
“I fear they are already here,” she said, touching one of the gems before murmuring a spell. “And that means, you are out of time,” she said. The man frowned.
 
“Me?” he asked, suspicious. Lily lightly hopped off the trailer and began to walk toward the woods.
 
“Yes,” she said. “You.”
 
“You were lying!” hissed the man, grabbing for his sword. Lily didn't look back.
 
“Actually, I was telling the truth,” she said calmly. “Did I not say that betraying is what I do?” Her steps toward the woods never faltered. Enraged, the man dashed after her, sword aloft. Lily raised her hand. “Ila sends her regards, by the way,” she said softly, snapping her fingers. The clearing turned brighter than mid-day, a silent sphere of white-hot energy springing into existence where the artifact had been. No one in the clearing heard anything as the artifact succumbed to Ila's sabotage and Lily's double-crossing magic.
 
-
 
“Ah! This feels so good,” sighed Melissa happily, settling comfortably on a bench in the sauna in the bathhouse she and her friends preferred.
 
“You said it!” Merrill agreed.
 
“My head is still aching from that explosion,” Genie noted, grimacing a little. It was barely a day since the destruction of the device, and nearly everyone was still feeling the effects.
 
The artifact had detonated in a manner that no one could have envisioned, obliterating most of the rebels when it exploded, and rendering those left blind, deaf and crippled. When the Order had rushed in - having had to recover themselves - they had easily mopped up. Louie and his three companions had found Lily unconscious in the second tree line, still grasping her staff tightly, her dress torn and smoldering. Melissa had used what healing skills she possessed, and the four had hurried her back to Ohfun while the priestesses finished cleaning up.
 
“That reminds me, what of those prisoners your order took?” wondered Genie. She recalled that a few of the outer guards were somewhat intact when the Order rushed in, and had been taken in for questioning. Melissa blinked.
 
“Oh, they were relatively low-level henchmen, so after questioning them, we turned them over to the Royal Guards. I understand that most of them will hang,” she shrugged. The Royal Guards were still somewhat angry over the massacre of the lancer column months before, to say nothing of how angry Rijarl was at the loss of a town on the edges of his kingdom.
 
“So, we still don't know who that guy was?” asked Merrill. “Too bad,” she shrugged.
 
“We think he was a foreign mercenary in the army of the rebel nobles who have been hiding on the fringes of the kingdom for some years now. Near as we can tell, he came across the artifact after the aborted battle last year. With the renegade nobles crumbling under the pressure from Rijarl and their inability to pay him his fees, he went into business for himself. Beyond that, we don't know anything of use about him.”
 
“Other than that he is dead, right?” prompted Genie. Melissa slowly nodded.
 
“Lily is pretty sure that we got him in the blast, and there were those remains that seemed to match him, but I think that the King, Headmaster Carwes and High Priestess Jenny are going to be keeping an eye out for him; just in case,” she added.
 
“Speaking of the runt,” Merrill changed the flow of conversation, “how is she doing?”
 
“I presume you mean Lily,” replied Melissa dryly. “She is recovering at the Guild. Had headmaster Carwes not reinforced her personal wards, she wouldn't have survived. As it is, it will likely be a few days before she is up and around. High Priestess Jenny has been checking on her regularly, and I heard her say that she was going to have Lily moved to the Temple to finish her recuperation,” she added.
 
“The temple? She looking for a new devotee?” wondered Genie. Melissa shook her head.
 
“No clue, Genie,” she replied. “I don't think that someone like Lily could join our order, though,” she mused, mostly to herself.
 
“Why not?” asked Merrill, curious.
 
“Her…choices,” said Melissa slowly. “Certain of the oaths…wouldn't work with her past,” she said, clearly censoring what she was thinking. “And there is the issue of her magical training,” she added.
 
“What does that have to do with it?” asked Genie. Melissa sighed.
 
“The order does not allow magician to join, and in any event, one of the oaths we take forbids us using magic,” said the priestess.
 
“But you use magic, Melissa,” Merrill disagreed. Melissa shook her head.
 
“No, Merrill,” she corrected, “I use prayers to Mylee to accomplish much the same thing, but it is a different, and I think, incompatible, way of doing it,” she explained. “If you want a more detailed explanation, you can either ask Headmaster Carwes and High Priestess Jenny to explain it to you, or join my order,” she smiled at the thief. Merrill snorted.
 
“I'll pass, Melissa,” she grinned back. “I'm not really the priestess sort, you know?” she smiled. Just then, the door to the sauna opened, and Ila stuck her head in.
 
“Hey, guys!” she said, stepping into the room and closing the door behind herself. “I though I would find you all here,” she added, seeing Melissa make room for her.
 
“Hi, Ila,” replied Genie. “I have to say, I am surprised to see you here,” she added.
 
“Really,” Merrill agreed, “I would have thought you would still be in the library at the Guild with Louie's old man, pouring over the scrolls,” she said. Ila hummed, her smile slipping a little.
 
“We decided to take a break,” she said evasively.
 
“And you didn't go find Louie? Amazing,” Genie said casually. Ila smiled again.
 
“Oh, I found Louie, all right,” she said happily. “He was working on the large stack of missed assignments that Master Foltess gave him during his absence, but he had fallen asleep while trying to study,” she shrugged. “I think that Louie and studying have an antagonistic relationship,” she observed.
 
“He is actually trying to catch up on his studies?” marveled Melissa. Ila nodded.
 
“And he will get it all done, too,” she said confidently. “It might not be entirely correct, but he has already made a large dent in the stack,” she bragged.
 
“Louie studying…how unnatural,” Merrill snickered. Melissa was watching Ila. Something is on her mind, the priestess knew.
 
“Yes, how strange,” said the magician, murmuring a short spell. “Now that we have some privacy,” she said, her tone serious, “I want to know how you all feel about Louie,” said the girl.
 
All three adventurer girls traded looks. “He's our comrade, of course,” began Melissa.
 
“I'm not talking about that, Melissa,” Ila interrupted her. “I'm not stupid, so please don't treat me like you think I am simple,” she said. Seeing all three looking at her levelly, she sighed. “Louie and I talked, and from what he said - and didn't say - I know what has been going on with your four,” said the girl. “What I want to know is how you feel about him.”
 
“It's not like, Ila,” began Melissa, only to have Ila interrupt her.
 
“I didn't ask why you did what you did, Melissa,” she pointed out, “I asked how you feel about Louie,” she repeated herself. “Do you tolerate him, like him, or love him?” she asked. The three once more traded looks.
 
“I would have to say that I love him,” said Melissa softly. “I am his Follower, though, so my feelings are not at issue,” she stressed. Ila waved that off.
 
“And you, Genie?” she asked the largest of the women.
 
“I can honestly say that I like him more than any other man I've been with,” she said levelly. “I don't know if it is love or not, since I can't honestly claim to have loved anyone like you mean it before,” she shrugged.
 
“Merrill?”
 
“Louie's…he's…” Merrill shook her head before trying again. “He's been the only guy who never treated me like I treat him,” she said slowly. “He was also…my first,” she whispered. Ila considered this.
 
“I see,” she said quietly, staring at the ceiling.
 
“Ila, none of us will try to take him away from you!” Melissa assured her. “In fact, this while thing was an idea to try and help you get his attention, believe it or not,” she admitted. Ila glanced at the priestess for a moment.
 
“I figured that it was probably something like that,” said the girl.
 
“He's all yours, Ila; promise,” Genie seconded.
 
“I'm a thief by trade, Ila, but I make a point never to steal certain things, and some other girl's man is one of them,” she pledged.
 
“I know,” Ila said, still staring at the ceiling. The room was silent for several minutes before anyone spoke. “All my life, I have been immersed in my family's business,” said Ila, seemingly randomly. When I became interested in magic, and was found to have a talent for it, I went to the Guild to study. From the instant that I met Louie, he's been one of only two real passions in my life. He still is,” she said softly.
 
“Ila,” began Melissa uncomfortably.
 
“Over the time I have known him, we've been nearly inseparable. I've actually spent more time with Aunt Jenny and Headmaster Carwes than I have with my own father in recent years,” she related.
 
“Hey, Ila,” Genie started to say, but Ila ignored the attempted interruption.
 
“When he started out with you three,” she plowed on, “I was happy that he was getting to do what he loved to do and had wanted to do since we were children, but I was a little worried, too.”
 
“We,” Merrill took her turn at interrupting the monolog from the magician, only to meet the same fate as Melissa and Genie before him.
 
“I wasn't worried that he would get hurt or killed; well, not that worried, I guess. I was worried that since you three were adventurers, and he wanted to be one so badly, I would find myself pushed aside by the three of you. You will have noticed that I am not cut out to be an adventurer like you three and Louie,” she said, a bit of humor coming through her tone.
 
“You haven't been pushed aside by us,” said Melissa softly, yet earnestly. “When Louie heard you were kidnapped, he literally dropped everything and ran to save you, Ila!”
 
“Oh, there was never a question of him not doing that,” Ila responded. “His loyalty is one of the things I treasure most about him, in fact.”
 
“Then, what…?” wondered Merrill, lost. What was all that sharing about, if she is so certain that he would always be loyal to her? What is going on in her head?
 
“I've been thinking about where we go from here,” said Ila, focusing on the girls at last. “I thought you three had fallen for Louie, same as me; and I was right,” she said almost smugly. “The question is, where do we go from here?”
 
“I suggest you finish up and go see the king,” came a voice from the door. Gasping, the four turned to see Lily and High Priestess Jenny enter the room.
 
“H…High Priestess Jenny!” blushed Melissa, caught totally off guard. Lily winced slightly as she eased down next to Ila.
 
“You should take the time to learn a more challenging locking spell,” said the girl, glancing at Ila. “You use the same one on your room and your storehouses, you know,” she noted. Ila blinked.
 
“What does the King want with us?” wondered Merrill.
 
“We have two hours to prepare and go find out,” said Jenny, smiling at the four girls.
 
“What about Louie?” wondered Melissa. Jenny smiled.
 
“We can get Lou-lou, ah, I mean, Louie, on the way to the castle,” said the High Priestess.
 
“Two hours? No rush, then,” said Genie. Jenny smiled at the barbarian woman.
 
“Oh, we are far more pressed for time than you might think, Genie,” said the High Priestess. “We are to present ourselves before the King in the audience hall,” she explained. Ila blinked.
 
“Again?” she almost-complained. Jenny nodded, favoring the glasses-wearing magician with a warm smile.
 
“You sound almost irritated, Ila,” noted the High Priestess. Ila sighed.
 
“No, I am honored to be commanded to present myself before the king,” she said blandly.
 
“Strange,” purred Jenny, “you don't sound honored, Ila dear.”
 
-
 
“At last! My Champion is officially recognized!” cheered Melissa, draining off half a tankard of ale. Around the table, the others did likewise. They had appeared, as ordered, before the king, only to find that he had court in full session, along with some delegates from other kingdoms - most notably from Fundoria and Leisaria. Ila had a managed the prized spot on Louie's arm, leaving the other three to follow behind her and Louie. In turn, Ila and Louie were behind Headmaster Carwes and High Priestess Jenny as they presented themselves before the king.
 
To the shock of many present, the king had decreed that from that moment forward, Louie would be known as the Champion of Ohfun, with title and standing equal to that of a knight of the realm. None of the four girls with Louie had been surprised by the lack of reaction from Louie - who clearly had no clue what that all meant. It was apparent to Melissa and Ila that he didn't care, either.
 
There were royal decrees of recognition for Ila and the three girls in Louie's party as well. Rijarl, it seemed, was in the mood to pass out rewards. It had been terribly interesting and entertaining to the court, of course, but dull to the five who were the focus of most of the afternoon. The fancy gowns that had been forced on Merrill, Ila and Genie weren't helping any. For once, the warrior and thief were jealous of Melissa's Order-ordained battle dress, as it prevented her from having to wear the uncomfortable and binding gowns. Genie, in particular, was uncomfortable, given that her height, physique and generally muscular build meant that the gown she had been bundled up in was not fitted properly.
 
It was with great relief that the five managed to escape the audience hall with a bit of help from Louie's adopted father and aunt. The very first thing that Genie did was literally tear the gown off her in disgust. She had worn her halter top and loincloth beneath, much to the chagrin of the castle maids who had been tasked with getting the gown onto her. No sooner had they gotten their swords and gear back than the five of them ended up in the tavern where the group hung out when in Ohfun.
 
It was much later, and the entire group was feeling good, several dozen mugs of ale being accounted for between them. Ila was nearly cuddled up to Louie's side, clearly having little intention of letting go any time soon. As the night wore on, the group gradually broke up, with Merrill and Genie making their way out to Genie's house outside the town walls, and Melissa excusing herself to the temple, citing the need to conduct morning services for the novices and acolytes. Louie bid them good night, absently collecting a kiss from Melissa before the priestess moved toward the Mylee temple. Gathering Ila up in his arms, he headed for the Magicians' Guild.
 
“Louie,” breathed Ila, pressing herself closer to him, “take me to bed,” she murmured.
 
“We're going, Ila,” he promised her, moving past the gate to the guild, ignoring the surprised blink from the gateman. Gently, he carried Ila up to her room, her door unlocking easily for him. Inside her room, he set her down on her bed, leaning over to pull back the cover in preparation to tuck her into bed.
 
“I meant, `make love to me', Louie,” came her soft, clear voice. Blinking, Louie glanced at Ila, finding her to be focused on him clearly, no signs of intoxication showing.
 
“Ila?” he parroted. “Are you…?” he began, only to have her silence him with a kiss. After a moment of surprise, he returned the kiss, Ila clinging to him as she gradually dragged him down to her bed, her on her back, and him leaning over her from the side.
 
“I'm completely sober, Louie,” she said when she finally allowed him to break the kiss, “and I know exactly what I am saying. Please, I want you to sleep with me, to hold me, to make love to me. Will you do that, Louie?” she asked, her green eyes reflecting her worry that he might not give her what she wanted.
 
“I…sure, Ila,” he said, leaning into her for another kiss. The woman melted into the kiss, her arms wrapping around the man she had been after for years and would finally have. It was quickly apparent to Ila that Louie knew what he was doing. Ignoring the issue of how he knew what to do, she surrendered herself to her desires, allowing him to take the lead.
 
One of the first things that Louie did was to explore the gown that Ila was wearing. As he searched for a means to rid her of the garment, he had a single irrelevant thought that at least he had some idea of how to get her out of the dress, whereas he wasn't at all sure how she got into and out of the thin, sheer bodysuit she usually wore. In short order, he found the bow that secured the lacing of the gown, and immediately tugged it loose, Ila moaning into the kiss as she felt her gown's bodice go slack.
 
Louie broke the kiss, drawing back a little to study the gown briefly, trying to determine how to get it off her, now that it was untied. Over her head seems most likely, he decided, looking into Ila's eyes. Seeing the look in her warm, green eyes that he had seen in Melissa's, Genie's and Merrill's eyes, he slid his hand down to the hem of her gown, then back up, gathering the skirt before his arm. Ila obligingly lifted her hips, allowing her gown to be bunched around her waist. Smiling, she then sat up, holding her arms up over her head.
 
Louie used both hands to carefully pull the gown over Ila's head before casually tossing it aside. Ila was now dressed in a pair of small silk panties. Looking at the fragile garment, Louie saw two small bows at each hip. Curiously, he reached down and tugged on them, the thin, flat strings falling loose. It took him a moment to realize that the panties were a variant on the kind Melissa wore. His eyes flickered up to meet Ila's eyes, the girl smiling hungrily at him. “Think of it as gift wrapped,” she breathed, her face flushed with arousal.
 
Grabbing the flimsy silk, he tugged on it, pulling it off the girl, who was now totally naked before him. Swallowing a mouthful of drool, he visually molested her. Ila was laying on her back, arms extended over her head, her eyes on Louie as Louie avidly examined every last inch of her naked body. I thought I would be nervous, but I'm not, Ila thought fleetingly. All she felt was eager. She licked her lips as her eyes strayed to Louie's pants, which were tented at his groin. He likes what he sees, thought the girl. Thank god, she silently breathed a sigh of relief.
 
Louie realized that he must have been blind not to notice Ila before now. Her body was slim, curved in the right places, and flat in the right places. Her breasts were nearly identical in size to Melissa's, though her body was softer than the priestess's was; likely due to the fact that Ila didn't have years of martial experience under her belt. Louie's gaze noted the erect, puffy nipples topping the firm, womanly mounds. She's liking this, he thought absently, his eyes traveling down her chest to her slim waist. He took a moment to appreciate her beautiful belly button before drifting lower. Seeing a neat circular patch of red hair that perfectly matched the color of the hair on her head, he couldn't resist running his fingers over the patch, tearing a pleasure-soaked moan from the young woman.
 
Glancing at Ila to make sure she was still ok, Louie shifted to get his first good look at her sex. Breathing faster, Ila eased her thighs wider to give him a better look. Completely hairless, her sex glistened with her dew, the lips growing puffier and wetter as he watched. Without conscious thought, Louie carefully, gently, explored her flower with his fingertips, causing Ila to writhe on her bed, her fists tightening on her pillow as she groaned and sighed at the sensations of Louie touching her so intimately. God, yes! Touch me, Louie! she silently screamed. More, Louie! More! she begged in her mind.
 
Seemingly reading her mind, Louie tenderly spread her lower lips wide, seeing the hot pink insides of her womanhood. Licking his lips, he saw her clit was already peeking out from under the hood that normally covered it. Leaning in, he pushed her thighs wider as he ran his tongue along her slit. “Louie!” shrieked Ila happily, feeling the hot, wet, slightly-rough touch of his tongue on her super-sensitive sex. Louie pursed his lips as he settled over her clit, using his tongue and lips in concert to mercilessly assault her most sensitive nub. “Ah!” she gasped, trembling.
 
Feeling her entire body quiver, Louie blinked. She came already? Just from that? he wondered. His fascination with her clit temporarily disrupted, he became aware of an acute pain at his groin. Hissing, he swiftly jumped up, wrestling with his pants. “Ouch!” he complained through clenched teeth. Damn it, I should have taken my pants off before I tasted Ila, he thought. His dick was in a bind; literally. Biting back a curse, he finally freed himself from his pants, his swollen member pointing right at the wide-eyed Ila.
 
Louie is…big! she thought, dazed from her first orgasm. Staring at the throbbing hunk of man meat before her, she decided that she had never, ever seen anything so perfect; so beautiful. Her hand closed around his pulsing length, Ila unable to recall deciding that she needed to feel it. Her green eyes met Louie's as she hesitantly stroked his length. Ila, reassured by the look in his eyes, stroked him more confidently, seeing a large drop of pre-cum leak from his tip. The girl licked her lips, finding that she was drooling as she looked at the plum-sized tip dripping his pre-cum. She could feel her fingers being coated with the slippery fluid as she stroked his shaft.
 
Louie hummed in pleasure, feeling Ila's soft hand stroking his shaft from his sack to his tip and back again. Her hands feel so different from the other girl's hands, he thought. Genie and Melissa's hands were strong and nearly rough from years of sword and pole hammer drills. Merrill's were softer, but being small, it was impossible for her to stroke him with one hand, like Ila was doing. Ila's hand is nearly perfect, though, he realized, not that I don't like the others. Looking at the girl before him, who had been by his side for so long, he decided right then and there that he would never allow anyone else to harm her or take her away from him. “Ila,” he breathed, his voice low and throaty with raw desire.
 
Blinking, she met his gaze. He didn't need to say anything; she knew the look in his eyes. After a final loving squeeze, she released his shaft, once more extending her arms over her head, spreading her legs wide as she tucked her knees to completely offer herself to him. “I'm right here,” she whispered lovingly. “Everything I have is yours, Louie,” she added, feeling her eyes tear up with joy. Finally, she thought fleetingly. To her surprise, Louie didn't immediately move between her legs.
 
“Ila,” he repeated, tenderly tracing his fingertips along her cheek before delicately removing her glasses. Setting them aside, he used the back of a finger to brush the unshed tears from her eyes. A soft sigh escaped her lips as Ila pressed her cheek into his hand, eyes closed. Louie slowly moved between her legs, finding that his tip met her entrance perfectly as he settled into position. Reaching above her head, he caught her hands, intertwining their fingers before pushing forward slowly. Ila's head lolled from side to side as she felt herself being taken by him inch by agonizingly-slow inch. Before his tip was even completely inside her, she experienced another orgasm.
 
Louie felt her body once more tremble as he worked his tip into her incredibly-tight sheath. Pausing, he watched her ride out the orgasm, the girl nearly panting as a thin trail of drool slipped from the corner of her mouth. Neither had any idea how long it was before she managed to focus on him. Feeling him motionless just inside her virgin passage, Ila hooked her legs around his hips, silently urging him to finish claiming her. Take all of me, Louie; I need to feel you claim me! thought the girl hazily, her mind swamped by lust and love.
 
Panting himself, Louie didn't need a second invitation, pushing forward when Ila urged him onward with her legs. Both of them sucked in a breath in unison, feeling him ram deep into her passage. Ila had never felt anything like what she felt as her Louie's shaft entered her, taking her virginity. So focused on what she was feeling and who she was feeling it with, the girl never felt her hymen tear, and while she had heard that the first time was usually painful, she felt nothing but the most intense pleasure she could imagine.
 
When his tip mated to her cervix, she had to re-assess her definition of pleasure. As the young man began to thrust into her newly-made womanhood, the girl vaguely wondered if she could survive the ecstasy rampaging through her sweaty, trembling body from toes to crown. Speech was beyond her abilities at the moment, and most of her higher brain functions were likewise not working as her hormones took control of her body. Inarticulate sounds of needful lust slipping from her mouth, she jerked her hips up to meet his thrusts, her hands squeezing his hands as her lips kissed any and all parts of him she could reach.
 
Feeling Ila begin to thrust her hips up to meet him, Louie surrendered the last of his reserve to the burning need to hammer into the hot, slick, tight passage his dick was currently balls-deep in. Grunting harshly between kissing Ila's lips, cheeks, neck, ear and any other part of her he could reach, Louie felt his balls begin to tingle, his baser instincts knowing that in a moment, he would be filling her with his cum. Ila, a small part of him thought, you are mine! All mine! the animal part of his mind growled. “Mine,” he hissed, burying his length in her tightly-stretched pussy as his first spurt crashed against her taxed cervix. Jet after jet fired into her, Louie holding her firmly as she received her third orgasm of the night.
 
Minutes after his last spurt had struggled into her flooded womb, Louie carefully rolled them over, so Ila was on top of him, his now-limp dick still stuck in her greedy passage. Ila was panting, slick with sweat and practically radiated smug happiness. Catching his breath, he found himself stroking her back and the long lock of hair that reached her rear. A soft purr came from the girl as he stroked her back and sides, occasionally cupping her firm ass cheek. Nearly a half hour later, Ila finally managed to speak. “Louie?”
 
“Yeah, Ila?”
 
“Stay with me?” she asked, her tone oddly hopeful.
 
“Sure, Ila,” he said. “I wasn't planning on going to my room,” he added. Ila hummed, nestling her head against his chest.
 
“That wasn't exactly what I was talking about,” she shared idly. Louie frowned.
 
“It wasn't?” he wondered. “What were you talking about then?” he wondered. Ila found herself giggling. Hugging him tightly, she let it go.
 
“Never mind, Louie,” she said softly, still giggling. “Now, hold me close and let's get some sleep,” she directly, feeling Louie wrap his arms around her. Comfortable and happy, she drifted off to sleep, a smile on her lips.
 
-
 
“So, here is where you have been hiding,” said Carwes, finding Rijarl standing on the highest parapet of the castle, looking out over the royal city. Beside the magician, Jenny nodded to her king. The castle was bustling with preparations for the two marriage ceremonies that would take place in a few days.
 
“Hiding from your future Queen?” teased Jenny. Rijarl grunted.
 
“What if I am?” he asked in turn. “No,” he sighed before Jenny could fire back, “that is unfair to princess Sarania,” he said.
 
“Is it?” asked Carwes blandly, a faint smile on his lips. Rijarl gave him a sour look.
 
“You two are enjoying this,” he accused. Neither denied it. “Still, we seem to get along well enough,” he sighed, “and in the end, that is what is most important in a state marriage.”
 
“You do not like her?” asked Jenny casually, crossing to stand next to him. Rijarl shrugged.
 
“As I said, she and I seem to get along well enough, and that is all that is required,” he repeated. “Though I suspect that our marriage will prove to be…dull,” he said carefully. “Perhaps I should have accepted the proposal from master Auriza,” he mumbled.
 
“Had you done so, your marriage would have been far less than dull; it would have been cold and uncomfortable,” said Jenny flatly, not bothering to sugar-coat her words.
 
“That is the truth, old friend,” Carwes backed up the High Priestess. “At least with the princess, you have a woman who has not yet chosen another,” he reminded the king. Rijarl chuckled.
 
“I was right the first time, wasn't I? You two had her chosen for Louie from the start, didn't you?” he challenged them.
 
“It is as we said to you when you first said this to us: some paths are more favorable than others,” shrugged Carwes.
 
“I have seen it in her countenance,” sighed the King. Jenny smiled at that.
 
“I think we all have,” she said. “What of Prince Littler and Princess Coe?” asked the head of the Mylee temple. Rijarl smiled.
 
“They seem to be on better terms than myself and Sarania, at least,” he said. It had been a bit of scandal when the two of them had been inadvertently interrupted as they got to know each other in a way that was usually reserved for the wedding night. If not for the actions of Priestess Isabelle, it would have been all over the castle before they could even dress. As it was, it had been but a short-lived rumor that failed to spread. Of course, few servants had any will to gossip when a priestess of the war god had promised to brain anyone who spoke of it. The fact that Isabelle was often seen entering his bed chambers late at night or leaving before dawn was something that not even the most brash and gossipy guard, servant or functionary would dare breathe a word of to anyone.
 
“While this is an entertaining topic, it is not the reason we sought you out,” Carwes took pity on Rijarl and changed the topic. Rijarl was immediately all business.
 
“You have completed your initial assessment of the scrolls and tomes, then?” he asked softly. Carwes nodded.
 
“Yes,” he said. “Ila, Lily and myself have debated and discussed for two days straight, and we have reached a decision about what needs to be done.”
 
“And that is?” asked Rijarl.
 
“The ruins in the Black Tree Reach are unmistakably remains from the Kingdom of Magic, and need to be dealt with,” he said.
 
“Dealt with?” asked Rijarl.
 
“Rendered powerless and destroyed, if you want it in lay terms,” Carwes shrugged. “We need to send a party there to do that, preferably as soon as possible.”
 
“It is in a different kingdom,” Rijarl said. “An official expedition is out of the question,” he added. Carwes nodded.
 
“Indeed,” he said. “More to the point, we can't have word of what that ruin really is getting out, either, or the area will be over-run with adventurers and rogue elements,” he said. “There is also mention of several other artifacts in those scrolls that will need to be located if possible and either recovered or destroyed,” he added.
 
“Again, unless it is in our kingdom or one we have a strong alliance with, we can't do anything in an official capacity,” repeated the king. Jenny smiled.
 
“Which is where the Order comes in,” said the High Priestess. “With the marriage of yourself and Littler, we have two more kingdoms in need of temples. I have been considering the priestesses to send to Leisaria and Fundoria for some time now.” she hinted. Rijarl gave her a sharp look, grasping what she was saying. “Don't give me that look, Rijarl,” chided Jenny playfully. “Intelligence gathering is a key part of war, is it not?” she asked innocently.
 
“I'm just glad you two are on my side,” he said, a smile flickering across his lips. “And what do you propose to do when you find one of these artifacts or ruins?” he asked, convinced that the pair had an answer for that as well.
 
“As you noted, there is no way that an official expedition could be mounted in a kingdom we have no alliance with,” said Carwes. “However, there are groups of people who roam kingdoms at will, without official reason, who seek adventures. The actions of such people can hardly be blamed on the King of the country they came from, can they?” he smiled.
 
“You have a disturbingly similar bend of mind to Jenny,” Rijarl said dryly.
 
“Thank you, my King,” said Carwes and Jenny in unison.
 
“I am going to guess that you have a party in mind, do you not?” he asked. Carwes nodded.
 
“Indeed. It is composed of an ordained priestess of Mylee, a thief, a barbarian swordswoman, and a valiant champion of Ohfun; one who just happens to have some knowledge of magic,” he smiled. Rijarl frowned.
 
“You would send our Louie out on such hazardous missions?” he asked them. Both nodded. “I see,” he said softly. “I confess that I am not entirely confident in the magical abilities of Louie,” he said hesitantly. “There are, after all, all those stories I have heard…” he hinted.
 
“I have a mage of exceptional skill and experience who has volunteered to accompany the party as necessary,” Carwes said. Rijarl raised an eyebrow.
 
“Have you now? I would have thought that lady Ila was not enamored of adventuring,” he said. Jenny gave a soft laught.
 
“She isn't,” said the High Priestess. “But Lily, on the other hand…” she left it at that. Rijarl nodded.
 
“A fine choice, given her history,” he said. “I will have to inform the Countess of my decision,” he said.
 
“So, you decided to restore her title and estate?” Carwes asked. Rijarl nodded.
 
“I had little choice,” he sighed. “With the new Queen comes new parasites from her kingdom, looking for any loose land and titles to be had. I cannot very well give someone else the title and estate, now can I?” he asked innocently. Jenny and Carwes shared a look.
 
“Of course not,” they replied blandly.
 
“By the way,” Rijarl went on, “how was it that you managed to sell Ila on the notion of having Louie out of her sight for extended periods?” he wondered. Jenny giggled.
 
“It was not as hard as I had thought it would be,” she said, “though she did have some conditions.”
 
“Conditions?” wondered Rijarl.
 
-
 
“Hey, Louie?” came Ila's voice.
 
“In here, Ila,” came the answer, Ila moving to the other room. In the room, Louie was busy checking his pack. “What's up, Ila?” he asked her, not looking at her.
 
“Before you go, I want to go see Aunt Jenny,” said Ila. Louie nodded.
 
“Sure thing, Ila,” he agreed easily. Closing his pack, he turned to the door. Seeing Ila wearing a fancy gown, he frowned.
 
“What's up with the gown?” he asked her. Ila smiled a radiant smile.
 
“Nothing, Louie,” she said innocently. “Come on,” she urged, grabbing his hand. Louie allowed her to lead him out of the house the two of them now had. It wasn't that far from the temple or the Guild, and Louie could honestly say that it was nice to have some privacy. Reaching the temple, he saw two of the three priestesses commonly known as `Melissa's Trio' open the gate for him.
 
“Not going to harass me, Gannet?” he asked, smiling at the girl. She shook her head.
 
“No, sir Louie,” she replied. Louie looked around for a moment before recalling that people had been calling him that ever since the King congratulated him on rescuing Ila.
 
“High Priestess Jenny is in the main church, miss Ila,” said Joan from the other side.
 
“Thanks, Joan,” said Ila, moving toward the church, which was the only place in the temple that men were allowed to go; or rather, most men. Louie didn't recall any services that were supposed to be held, but shrugged it off as unimportant. His Aunt would know what religious services should be held when, after all. Reaching the doors to the church, he saw the last of Melissa's Trio there to open it for them.
 
“Anna,” he nodded to her.
 
“Sir Louie, Miss Ila,” the priestess replied politely. Ila tugged him inside, leading him through the antechamber and toward the sanctuary. Louie looked forward, seeing his aunt standing casually in front of the statue of Mylee, a small group of people seated in the first two rows of pews. Melissa, Genie, Merrill, Lily, Isabelle, Littler, Jackinson… he inventoried the group. As he and Ila reached the head of the aisle, Littler casually stood up, smiling and nodding to Louie as Melissa did the same on Ila's side.
 
“Well, now that we are all here,” said High Priestess Jenny, “I suppose we should begin.”
 
“Begin what, Aunt Jenny?” wondered Louie. Jenny smiled at him.
 
“I just want to talk to you and Ila for a bit, Lou-lou,” she said. Louie chuckled.
 
“Come on, aunt Jenny, do you have to keep calling me that?” he asked her.
 
“I had to just once more, Louie,” she replied. “Tell me, Louie,” she asked him. “How do you feel about Ila?” she asked him.
 
“How do I feel about Ila?” he repeated, frowning. Jenny nodded.
 
“Would you cherish her? Protect her? Love her? No matter what might happen?” she asked.
 
“Of course I would!” he replied, almost offended by the very thought that his aunt would think he might not.
 
“Even till death?” asked Jenny calmly. Louie nodded.
 
“I would.”
 
“Ila?”
 
“I do,” she breathed, her eyes shiny with unshed tears and a huge smile on her lips. Her hand, holding his, began to tremble a little. Louie turned to Ila, concerned.
 
“You ok, Ila?” he asked her. She hummed.
 
“I'm better than ok, Louie,” she said.
 
“Are you sure? You're trembling,” he noted, concerned.
 
“Maybe if you kissed her?” suggested Jenny helpfully. Louie did just that, seeing as how it was a splendid idea. “As High Priestess of the Mylee order, so I wed you,” said Jenny softly. Louie wasn't paying much attention, being busy with Ila. When he broke the kiss, he felt Littler slap him on the shoulder.
 
“Congratulations, sir Louie,” the prince grinned. Louie blinked.
 
“For what?” he wondered.
 
“It was a wonderful wedding,” noted Merrill, snickering gleefully from Ila's side. Louie looked more confused.
 
“Wedding? Who got married?” he wondered.
 
“You did, sir Louie,” came Jackinson's voice.
 
“Mylee bless your union,” added Isabelle. Louie looked back and forth, seeing a mix of smirks and smiles. Melissa and Ila hugged each other. Louie looked at his Aunt, who had a decidedly smug look on her face and asked the single more intelligent question he could manage under the circumstances:
 
“Huh?”
 
-
 
“The look on his face was priceless!” chortled Merrill as the three girls enjoyed a final trip to the bathhouse before they set out back to the Black Tree Reach to deal with the ruins. They were taking Isabelle, Lily and Jackinson with them, along with some wagons for the loot they had promised Merrill. It was likely to take several weeks to do what had to be done and return.
 
“He never saw it coming, that's for sure,” agreed Genie.
 
“Of course not!” scoffed Merrill. “He's Louie, you know?”
 
“Yes, he is,” agreed Melissa, smiling a little.
 
“You ok, Melissa?” asked Genie. Melissa nodded.
 
“Of course,” she said. “I just can't wait to get on the road, you know?” she replied. The other two exchanged looks.
 
“Yeah, we know,” Genie agreed.
 
“I still can't believe that Ila suggested that!” marveled Merrill. Melissa hummed.
 
“I can; she is a practical woman, after all,” the priestess said. “And a merchant,” she added a moment later, her lips twitching into a smile.
 
“Hey, I'm just glad she isn't a jealous girl,” Genie said.
 
“I guess she figures better that she knows who the other women are than not, you suppose?” Merrill postulated.
 
“More likely she is looking at it from the standpoint that Louie loves us as much as her, and if the situation were reversed, she wouldn't want to be forced out,” Genie disagreed.
 
“How do you figure this will work?” wondered Merrill.
 
“Sir Louie is Ila's husband, and we are his comrades. That is all anyone need know,” said Melissa firmly. Genie nodded. Merrill shrugged.
 
“Can't complain, I guess,” she said philosophically. A few moments passed before any of them spoke.
 
“Do you think he has it in him to keep us all happy?” wondered Genie.
 
“Of course he does! He is our Valiant Champion!” replied Melissa immediately.
 
“Or at least something close to it,” giggled Merrill. “I can't wait to get back on the trail,” she added, leering to herself.
 
FIN