Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Legacy ❯ Chapter 2

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Shinobu dismounted the turtle, her knees a little wobbly. Su was already tinkering with the contraption, and she was sure that there would be further revisions to the design. Right now, she wanted to change into house clothes and start supper. Entering the Hinata, she hurried to her room and changed into a casual, cool sundress before heading toward the kitchen. At the foot of the stairs, she heard the front door open. “Anyone home?!” came a mirthful, playful voice. Shinobu jerked her head around to see who was there. In the doorway, a short, wrinkled woman stood in front of a taller, though still somewhat short, form. “Shinobu-chan!” the wrinkled woman exclaimed. “You've grown into a heart-stopping beauty, my dear!”
 
“Granny Hina!” squealed Shinobu, dashing toward the woman and throwing her arms around the wizened owner of the Hinata House. Though she appeared frail, Granny Hina hugged Shinobu with enough strength to make the girl grunt. Releasing the old woman, she saw that Kanako was watching her impassively. “Kanako-sempai,” she said respectfully.
 
“Shinobu,” came the cool, detached reply.
 
“None of that,” chided Hina. Kanako stepped forward and hugged Shinobu briefly, the younger girl returning the hug automatically. Like many in the house, Shinobu's feelings about Kanako were mixed, due to certain incidents over the years. “Where is my grandson?” asked Hina, moving into the house.
 
“I'll find Onii-chan, grandmother,” said Kanako, vanishing like a ninja.
 
“Are you hungry, Granny?” asked Shinobu, smiling. “I was just about to make dinner,” she added.
 
“Excellent,” Granny Hina replied. “Where are the other girls?” she wondered. Shinobu swiftly related what she knew of where they were. Moments later, Su leapt down the stairs, landing on Granny Hina, who didn't even flinch. “Kaolla, I see you are as energetic as always,” laughed the old woman.
 
“Did you bring any snacks with you?” wondered Su.
 
“Matter of fact, I did,” grinned Hina. “There're in my bag,” she said, Su leaping off to find the bag.
 
“Granny?” came Keitaro's voice. Turning, Shinobu saw the man of the house entering the living room, Kanako attached to his arm, a smile on her face.
 
“Grandson!” cackled the old woman, glomming on to him. “How are you doing, grandson?” she asked, releasing him. “Getting along with the girls?” she asked, her tone insinuating things.
 
“Aw, come on, Granny…” Keitaro managed.
 
“Things are going fine with us, Hina,” came the voice of Kitsune, attracted by the commotion.
 
“Kitsune, I see you haven't changed,” Hina said as the girl descended the stairs.
 
“You know me,” shrugged Kitsune. “What brings you back all unexpected?” wondered the slacker.
 
“Just a little matter to be addressed,” said Hina. “Oh, Shinobu-chan, we will be having some guests for dinner,” she added.
 
“No problem!” assured Shinobu from the kitchen.
 
“Guests?” wondered Keitaro. Hina nodded.
 
“Some family of Mutsumi's, from Okinawa,” said the elder of the Urashimas. “Also, Haruka will be up before long,” she added, her tone more serious.
 
“Something wrong?” Keitaro asked, picking up a strange vibe from the eccentric woman who had left him as manager of the girl's dorm while she traveled the world. Looking back, he viewed it as the best experience of his life and most important gift he had ever gotten, but in the beginning, he wondered if his grandma wanted to kill him.
 
“Just some family business,” said the old woman. A knock came from the door. Hina turned to look at the closed door. “They are earlier than I thought,” she murmured. Kanako moved in front of her brother, her eyes narrowing. “Come in, Aoyamas,” called out Hina. The door slid open, revealing Motoko and Tsuruko, both dressed in hakama and gis.
 
“I see we are expected, Urashima-san,” said Tsuruko, the two bowing to Hina. “May we enter?” asked the elder sister.
 
“You may, Tsuruko, but Motoko-chan lives here,” said Hina. Keitaro was looking back and forth between the two.
 
“Kanako,” said Motoko, eyeing the stance of the sister of Keitaro. She is expecting trouble, realized the younger Aoyama, her hand absently tightening on her sword. A hand fell on her shoulder.
 
“Eyes on the real threat,” breathed Tsuruko. Focusing her attention on Hina, she concentrated on reading the chi in the room. Hina-san has never registered as powerful, but after what I have learned, I think she is just more skilled than I, Motoko thought.
 
“What are you whispering about, Tsuruko?” came a voice from behind the sisters. She didn't need to look to know that Haruka was standing behind them. If they are to act, it will be now, thought the oldest sister. It was something that the elders of the Aoyama had considered, but ultimately, it had been their choice to risk the only two pure-line Aoyamas by negotiating with the Urashimas in their home. In spite of the time that had passed, with the re-emergence of the evidence of the betrayal, it was possible that the Urashima would seek revenge for the past.
 
“Haruka,” said Tsuruko evenly, pleasantly, bowing to her old rival. Over Tsuruko's head, Haruka caught sight of Hina and Kanako.
 
“Haruka!” said Hina warmly. Haruka slipped past the Aoyama sisters to accept a hug from the old woman.
 
“Kanako,” said the tea shop owner.
 
“Haruka,” came the equally cool reply from the girl.
 
“Oh, my! We have guests!” came a voice from the entrance. Keitaro turned to see Mutsumi there, with her mother and an older man behind her. “Kei-kun, I hope we aren't intruding?” asked the Okinawan girl.
 
“I have tea ready,” Shinobu said, holding a large tray in her hands, piled high with cups and tea-pot.
 
“Make yourselves comfortable,” Hina said to the group at large. In short order, the three groups had found seats, Motoko and Tsuruko in a corner of the room, Mutsumi and her family by the stairs, and Hina anchoring the center. Keitaro found himself bracketed by Kanako and Haruka. Haruka was almost staring at the two Aoyama sisters, while Kanako was watching Shinobu and Mutsumi. Needless to say, the atmosphere in the room was very tense.
 
While supper was being prepared, the group engaged in small talk. Eventually, Hina broached the subject. “Since we are all here,” she said firmly, “there is little point putting it off. After supper, we will speak of this,” said the head of the Urashima.
 
“As you wish,” agreed Tsuruko.
 
“Agreed,” murmured the old man with Mutsumi.
 
“Talk about what?” asked Su.
 
“Sorry, Kaolla-chan, but it is only for family,” said Hina, seeing Su pout.
 
“But Keitaro and Motoko and the rest are family,” she argued. Hina considered that.
 
“I suppose there is some merit to that argument,” the old woman thought out loud, her eyes on the Aoyama sisters. Motoko peeked at Tsuruko, who wore a placid look on her face.
 
“I am not sure that such a discussion would mean anything to those not involved,” Tsuruko said carefully.
 
“Oh, but they are involved,” countered Mutsumi's mother. “Are they not already caught up in this?” she challenged.
 
“Perhaps Narusegawa,” Tsuruko began, only to pause, her eyes touching Shinobu. Sighing softly, she fixed her gaze on Hina. “How you choose to discuss this is fine with us,” said the older sister.
 
“Um, supper is ready,” Shinobu interjected. Hina smiled.
 
“Excellent!” she said, breezing into the dining room. “Let's eat, everyone,” she ordered. With the number of people in the room, it was a little crowded, but with Shinobu's cooking on the table, none of them really minded. Keitaro, Kitsune and Shinobu found themselves serving as buffers between the three core groups.
 
As the last of the food vanished, Hina complimented Shinobu on her skills, making the girl blush. Rising, she stretched. “It's such a nice evening outside,” said the old woman, “let's speak in the gazebo, shall we?”
 
“As you wish,” agreed Tsuruko. The group started to file out, but Keitaro stayed.
 
“I'll help Shinobu with the dishes then we'll be out, granny,” he said. Hina grinned at him.
 
“Of course you will, Keitaro,” she leered. “Shinobu, be careful; he's a charmer!” she cackled. The small woman blushed.
 
“Y..yes, he is,” she agreed. Hina herded the others out the back door and to the gazebo that was set in the back yard of the Hinata House. With the last light of the sun fading, a cooling breeze swept up the hill, over the low wall, and through the gazebo, carrying the mixed scent of flowers, cut grass, the hot springs and subtle scents of foods from the town below them.
 
Inside, Keitaro and Shinobu swiftly cleared the table, stacking the dishes, pots and utensils in the sink to be washed later. Watching Shinobu tidy up the kitchen area and helping as he could, Keitaro reflected on how things would be so much worse without the small woman there. “Shinobu, I'm glad you're here,” he said, causing the girl to stop and look at him. “Without you, this place would be a mess!” he smiled. Shinobu's cheeks colored.
 
“No, I'm the one who's glad to be here!” she insisted. Unlike the other girls, Shinobu didn't pay rent. She worked in exchange for her bed-and-board. Cooking, cleaning, laundry and odd chores were her province, and she did them all with skill and dedication that Keitaro often wished the other girls showed in their pursuits. Keitaro smiled at her.
 
“Let's go see what Granny and the others are up to,” he suggested, casually resting his hand on her shoulder. Shinobu almost melted at the feeling.
 
“Of course!” she agreed. Together, the two started for the back door. “K…Keitaro?” Shinobu whispered.
 
“Hmm?” he hummed.
 
“I…” she looked away from him, flustered. “I just want you to know,” she said, clasping her hands, “I will always be there for you,” she whispered. Keitaro blinked.
 
“Oh, ok,” he replied, confused about her statement, but not about her sincerity. With gentle pressure, he guided her out the door and toward the gazebo. Looking at the dark structure, he recalled that the bulb in the electric light was burnt out, but that the glass-enclosed candles were there. Feeling in his pocket, he found the lighter he had taken to carrying since going on digs. Fire is a useful tool, he reflected. Lighting Seta's cigarettes, starting fires, lighting passages, removing leeches…it's been one of the best multi-tools I have ever had, he mused.
 
Reaching the gazebo, he saw Shinobu settled next to Kitsune, which put her between Mutsumi and the fox. Pulling out the lighter, he began to light the four candles, finding the breeze an annoyance, but not a hindrance. Before long, the gazebo was lit in a soft, faintly-flickering yellow glow. Looking for a seat, he found that the only spot open was between Motoko and Tsuruko. He had only taken a half-step toward the open spot when he felt a shiver race down his spine, his senses detecting danger behind him.
 
Spinning, he found Kanako eyeing him. Her eyes clearly spoke of homicidal impulses if he sat between the two Aoyamas. Licking his lips nervously, he crossed his legs and sat in the middle of the deck. “I'll just sit here,” he explained.
 
“Please, take my seat, Kei-kun,” came the voice of Mutsumi, the stacked girl standing.
 
“Onii-chan, I saved you a seat,” Kanako insisted, motioning to her seat.
 
“Please, it is improper for a host to sit on the floor,” Tsuruko said, standing as well. “You should take my seat,” she insisted.
 
“Uh,” Keitaro said, desperately trying to figure out how to get out the probably-deadly situation he found himself in, “well, a man shouldn't take a lady's seat,” he managed. Why me?
 
An amused cackle from his grandma diverted the group's attention. “That's my grandson!” the old woman crowed. Her laughter died away. “So, let's talk about this matter, Tsuruko.”
 
“Very well,” said the elder Aoyama sister. “You know what was in the message?” she asked.
 
Hina shrugged. “The exacts? No. The general idea? Yes.”
 
“You know of the incident though, do you not?” asked Tsuruko quietly. Motoko was staring intently at Hina, worry leaking past her attempted expression of composure.
 
“Yes, I do,” said Hina quietly. “You speak for the elders of the Aoyama?” asked the old woman. Tsuruko nodded. Reaching into her gi, she withdrew a carefully-folded packet, offering it to Hina formally. “The original message, Hina-sama,” she added softly. Hina took the package and unwrapped it. Kanako and Haruka leaned in closer to read the message. Hina read it silently. Kanako's eyes narrowed, her fist clenching, as she read the message. Haruka didn't show much, but Keitaro could have sworn she grimaced.
 
“What's it say?” he asked the three.
 
“It says you are engaged to the eldest heir to the Aoyama's Shinmei-ryu school,” said Hina.
 
“Engaged?”
 
“Yes. So, does that make Tsuruko or Motoko your bride-to-be?” smirked Hina.
 
“Tsuruko is married, so that means Motoko is the lucky girl,” said Haruka quietly, her eyes on the two Aoyama women.
 
“M…Motoko is my bride?” gaped Keitaro.
 
“Your bride?!” came a volcano-like eruption from just outside the gazebo. “Keitaro, you two-timing pervert!” howled Naru, already into her deliver of a legendary Naru-Strike â„¢. Keitaro wondered if his frequent-flyer card would accept another huge credit even as he braced for the freight-train impact.
 
“Now, now, Na-chan,” came the voice of his grandmother. Keitaro, not receiving the expected bullet-train impact, cracked open an eye to see what had happened. Naru was frozen in place, her punch stopped by his grandmother, her forefinger touching Naru's middle knuckle. “Is that any way to greet your boyfriend?” she chided the hot-tempered terror.
 
“G…granny Hina!” breathed Naru, shocked to find the owner of the inn back in town so unexpectedly. “Wha…?” she began. Hina hummed.
 
“We were just discussing that issue, Na-chan,” said the wizened old woman. “Sit down and listen, hmm?” was her order. Meekly, Naru did as instructed, finding herself next to Mutsumi, who absently wrapped a hand around Naru's still-clenched fist. Hina resumed her place as if nothing had happened.
 
“There are some issues with this,” she said matter-of-factly. “Not least among them is that there are other claimants to that position,” she alluded to Naru.
 
“Yes, that is understood, Hina-sama,” said Tsuruko. “We would, if you would allow, like to discuss possible compromises.”
 
“What are you talking about?” wondered Naru, fuming. Hina studied the two Aoyama sisters.
 
“A long time ago, Na-chan,” she began, “two houses rose to great heights, only to fall to hell for their hubris. One betrayed the other and the master both houses served. It had been the order of the master both houses served that their contention be resolved by marriage between them. Many things happened. Time was lost. Now, the past has come back to revisit that mistake,” said the old woman, mercifully glossing over things.
 
“What does that have to do with…?” began Naru, only to suddenly frown. “It was the Aoyama and Urashima houses?” she put the clues together. Hina nodded. “Then, what master…?” She once more trailed off, eyes widening as the most obvious answer occurred to her. “Your two houses served the Emperor?!” she gasped. Hina nodded.
 
“Who betrayed who?” asked a quiet voice. Seeing the eyes of the group turn to her, Shinobu turned beet red, seeming to shrink. “S…sorry!” she squeaked.
 
“It's nothing to be ashamed of, Shinobu,” Hina said. “In a way, we betrayed each other,” she answered philosophically. “What is it that the Aoyama seek, Tsuruko?” she asked.
 
“We would atone for our actions, if possible,” said the older of the sisters. “If nothing else, your hanko and crest on the document satisfies the greater part of the matter,” she explained. Hina hummed tunelessly.
 
“I can see how that would ease your burden,” she rejoined after a moment, “but it would be once more at the expense of we Urashima, would it not?” challenged the woman.
 
“The order still stands in our eyes, and we will honor our commitment,” Tsuruko said softly. “Would that not, in the end, profit us both as well as closing this rift in our houses?” she asked.
 
“It likely would,” nodded Hina. “But I wonder: would not such a marriage just sow the seeds of future hatred, if it be done for duty and not love?”
 
“I…” began Motoko, only to pause, “I have no objection, Hina-sama,” she said quietly, keeping her eyes on the floor. “If it's Keitaro…” she left the rest unsaid. Naru scowled at her.
 
“Motoko, you…!” began the girl, only to fall silent as she caught Hina staring at her levelly.
 
“Setting aside the fact that Motoko-chan is not the eldest, and dismissing for now the issue of marriage, I must tell you that I am not the only one you must satisfy before this discussion goes any further,” warned Hina. Tsuruko nodded.
 
“I have visited here often enough to see clearly how the others feel about him,” she obliquely agreed. “We, of course, understand that certain issues must be addressed and resolved.”
 
“Damn right they do,” muttered Naru, fuming.
 
“It was not only the girls in the Hinata that I was speaking of,” Hina said dryly. “Do you know the source of the curse on your line?” she asked. Tsuruko nodded.
 
“Yes. Another less than blameless chapter in our history,” she admitted. Hina smiled.
 
“Then you understand what I mean when I say that the Turtle Clan has been our ally since that dark day,” said Hina. Tsuruko blinked.
 
“But, the Turtle Clan was destroyed,” she said.
 
“Muy!” came a soft cry as Tama swooped in and landed on Mutsumi's head.
 
“Most, but not all, Aoyama,” said the old man with Mutsumi's party. “I am the elder of the Turtle Clan, and we would have satisfaction for the unwarranted destruction your clan brought down on us.”
 
“Mutsumi?” breathed Motoko. The Okinawan girl smiled easily.
 
“Yes, Motoko-chan?” asked the girl pleasantly. Tsuruko's mind was running full speed.
 
“If satisfaction can be had, can the curse be lifted?” asked Tsuruko. The old man glanced at Mutsumi's mom, then at the curvy girl.
 
“Yes, there is a way to break the curses,” he said after a moment.
 
“Curses? Plural?” wondered Kitsune. Hina nodded.
 
“The Aoyama clan wasn't the only one to fall prey to a curse from the Turtle Clan,” she said ruefully. “To make a long story short, both our houses were betrayed by the wife of our lord, and both were cursed. The curses are as strong today as when they were first called down, too,” noted the woman.
 
“If the Turtle Clan is your ally, then why has your curse not been lifted?” wondered Motoko, confused as to why the Urashimas would leave their curse intact as well if the clan who had cursed them was now their ally.
 
“Because the curses are linked,” supplied Mutsumi's mother. “To lift one is to lift both, and it was the decision of the Urashima to leave the curse in place until such time as both of our houses had redress for the past,” she said.
 
“To put it another way, I will not endorse the contract until the Turtle Clan - in this age, the Otohime family - are satisfied,” Hina explained. “And then, of course, there is the matter of the feelings of the other girls to consider,” she added.
 
“No kidding!” shrieked Naru. “Why wasn't anything said about this before now?!”
 
“Because it was more than five hundred years ago when this happened,” said Motoko dryly. Kitsune, Naru and Shinobu blinked.
 
“Five hundred years?” breathed Kitsune. Man, I've heard of holding onto the past, but damn!
 
“How do you propose to address these issues?” wondered Haruka. Hina glanced at her granddaughter.
 
“Oh, I have a few ideas, Haruka-chan,” she smiled. “But, for now, it's late, and these old bones are ready for some rest. We will speak of this more in the morning.”
 
“As you wish,” Tsuruko said easily.
 
“Keitaro,” said Hina, “I trust we have rooms for our guests?” she hinted.
 
“Of course,” he replied immediately.
 
“If it is ok with you,” Tsuruko spoke up smoothly, “I will stay with Motoko, so as not to increase your workload,” offered the elder sister.
 
“If you want,” replied Keitaro, his mind reviewing the rooms available and plotting a room assignment plan. “Shinobu-chan, are the last two rooms on the second floor east ready for use?” he asked his most-frequent helper around the house.
 
“Yes, Keitaro,” she replied immediately. “All we need to do is put futons in them,” she added. “If Mutsumi-sempai's family uses those rooms, and Tsuruko-san is with Motoko-sempai, then we can put Granny Hina in the west room on the ground floor, and Kanako…”
 
“I will be staying in Onii-chan's room,” stated the youngest Urashima woman.
 
“Like hell!” shot back Naru, Motoko and Shinobu in unison. Kanako turned her cold gaze on the three, obviously prepared to fight it out.
 
“Kanako-chan will stay in the west room,” ordered Hina, “I'll impose on Haruka-chan,” she smiled at her eldest granddaughter.
 
“Um, I don't really have a guest room in the shop, grandma,” Haruka reminded her. Hina grinned at her.
 
“You have two strong posts on your balcony, though,” she pointed out. “I tried sleeping in a hammock a while back, and I have to say, I liked it! Even brought it with me!” crowed the old woman, producing a small ball of what appeared to be strings. “With the weather so nice, I'll be fine!” the old woman dismissed the issue.
 
“If you're sure, grandma,” muttered Haruka.
 
“Na-chan,” Mutsumi spoke up, “can I stay in your room?” she asked. Blinking, Naru broke free of her dark brooding over the suddenly-complicated mess her life had once more become.
 
“Uh, sure…” was her toneless reply. Mutsumi clasped her hands happily.
 
“Thanks, Na-chan,” said the most stacked of the girls.
 
“I'll go get the futons in the rooms,” Keitaro said, rising. He hadn't even taken a step before he found himself bracketed by Kanako and Shinobu.
 
“I'll help you, Keitaro,” Shinobu said earnestly.
 
“No, I will help you, Onii-chan,” insisted Kanako. Keitaro bit back a sigh.
 
“Ok, then,” he delegated, “Kanako-chan, take a futon to the west room on the ground floor, Shinobu and I will take futons to the rooms on the second floor,” stated the young man.
 
“Yes, Onii-chan,” Kanako said. Shinobu smiled at Keitaro.
 
“Sure, Keitaro,” she affirmed. Heading into the Hinata, the three lead the procession. Atop the roof of the house, enjoying the cooling breeze, a black cat, a white crane, and a hot spring turtle watched their respective masters enter the house.
 
-
 
“So, Haruka-chan,” said Granny Hina as she entered the small apartment over the Hinata Tea Shop, “how have things been while I have been away?”
 
“It was touch and go for a while,” shrugged Haruka, “but Keitaro won them over, one by one. For the last year or so, it has been downright peaceful, if no less hectic,” smirked the woman.
 
“You been helping him with the girls?” wondered Hina, absently tossing the balled-up hammock in her hand.
 
“No,” Haruka said indifferently. “I…thought it best to let him handle it his way. I only stepped in when absolutely necessary and I made sure to keep my involvement in the shadows.”
 
“Very astute, Haruka-chan,” smiled Hina. “Is what I have heard from Kanako about how violent the girls have been with him accurate?” wondered the old woman. Haruka shrugged.
 
“He has been sent flying more than a few times, yeah, but…” she shrugged. Hina sighed.
 
“I know. He's an Urashima male,” nodded Hina. “Does he still call you `aunt'?” smiled the old woman.
 
“Yeah,” Haruka said, shaking her head resignedly. “He can be a bit dense,” she complained. Not that I have been correcting his misconception any, she added silently.
 
“Perhaps he is not as dense as you might think,” Hina said introspectively. “It's understandable that he mistakes you for your mother; you two are near mirror images of each other, you know,” said Hina, absently touching Haruka's cheek. “Yoko's death was a great loss for the entire clan,” she said softly.
 
“Is that why…?” began Haruka, only to stop when she saw Hina shaking her head slightly.
 
“No, Haruka-chan, though losing a daughter certainly didn't dissuade me,” the matriarch said firmly. “Why ask?”
 
“No reason, I guess,” Haruka answered, “I just want to make sure that Keitaro isn't hurt,” she explained. Hina smiled.
 
“I can't promise that this will turn out right, Haruka,” warned Hina Urashima. “He might well be hurt, but that's the risk we all run, isn't it?”
 
Haruka was silent for a bit. “What is my role to be?” she asked a few minutes later, unable to take the silence any longer.
 
“Same as before, Haruka,” Hina said, moving onto the porch and swiftly securing the hammock before easily rolling into it. “Support and advise him.”
 
“As you wish,” agreed Haruka, yawning behind her hand. “Are you certain that it is safe to let Kanako be that close to him, though?” worried Haruka, getting ready for bed. Hina giggled wickedly.
 
“Kanako will benefit from being in a situation where she doesn't have an edge,” the old woman chortled. “Between Motoko-chan, Naru-chan and Shinobu-chan, our dear little Kanako is likely to find herself on the defensive for the first time in a long time.”
 
“If you say so,” came the dubious reply from Haruka as she slipped into her futon. As was her habit, she wore a comfortable pair of panties as her sleeping attire. “You planning to go up before the ruckus starts tomorrow morning?” Haruka thought to ask.
 
“We'll see how I feel in the morning,” came the reply from Hina. “I'm getting too old for early morning fights, you know.” Haruka snorted.
 
“Try selling that to someone else, granny,” she said drolly. “See you then,” added the woman.
 
-
 
In Motoko's room, the two sisters were preparing for bed. Su had been firmly directed to find another sleeping partner for the time being, and had dashed off with a disturbing gleam in her eyes before Motoko could tell her not to sneak into Keitaro's bed. And probably run right in to Kanako, thought the younger sister.
 
“Something wrong?” asked Tsuruko. Motoko blinked at her sister.
 
“Huh?”
 
“You were scowling and caressing your sword. Something is bothering you,” stated her older sister, setting aside her gi and reaching behind herself to unwrap her bound breasts.
 
“I was just thinking that if Su decides to sneak into Keitaro's bed again, she will likely bump into Kanako,” explained Motoko, likewise beginning to strip in preparation for bed. “Kanako could seriously injure Su in the fighting,” worried Motoko.
 
“Su had snuck into Keitaro's bed before?” wondered Tsuruko, folding her hakama and neatly stacking it on top of her gi and the rolled cloth she used to bind her chest. Motoko neatly rolled her own breast band up and set it aside as she nodded.
 
“Yes; at least a dozen times now,” she confirmed. “I think it is because of his passing resemblance to Su's brother, Lambda, but it could be something deeper; twice now, under the red moon, she has announced her intent to marry him,” she frowned.
 
“That displeases you?” asked Tsuruko, adjusting her loincloth as she turned back Motoko's futon.
 
“I…used to think it was concern for Su's honor that angered me, but lately, I think I am…jealous,” she admitted. Tsuruko hummed as Motoko plunged the room into darkness before gracefully sinking to the futon next to her big sister. “Naru-sempai doesn't attack him any more when it happens, but she still gets angry with him,” noted the young Aoyama.
 
“I see,” mused Tsuruko. Minutes passed. Then, she spoke again. “Motoko, do you believe you could be an honorable wife to him?” asked the elder sister.
 
“Of course I would be honorable!” hissed Motoko, shocked. “He is the only male I can even consider in such terms!”
 
“I meant, can you perform the duties of a wife without resorting to your usual antics?” Tsuruko clarified. Motoko immediately opened her mouth to answer, only to stop, re-assessing her big sister's question.
 
“I…think I can,” she said slowly. “I…that is…I want to,” she whispered, trying not to think of the half-finished trashy romance novel in her desk drawer. I can't believe that they sell so well! she thought absently. It had been a year since she started writing down her fantasies about Keitaro as a means of self-therapy, only to inadvertently find that she could make money selling the slightly-polished versions to a local publisher of questionable tastes. As long as they never learn my true name, I suppose it is of no importance, she told herself yet again. Her pen-name served to hide her real identity and protect the name of the Aoyamas.
 
“You want to, then?” pressed Tsuruko. Motoko nodded.
 
“Yes, sister,” she admitted.
 
“I see,” murmured Tsuruko. “Tomorrow morning, before dawn, I will test your skills,” she said abruptly. Motoko blinked at the sudden change in topic and tone.
 
“Hai,” replied the younger sister. Her sword skills had grown as well, and she was curious how much progress she had made. Testing her skills against her big sister was an excellent way to judge such progress.
 
-
 
“Na-chan,” said Mutsumi, “aren't you coming to bed?” The stacked girl was dressed in a loose, gauzy sleeveless robe that came to her upper thigh and closed with a single bow just below her breasts. She was in Naru's futon, while Naru Narusegawa was sitting at her desk, angrily reading a text book.
 
“Sorry, Mutsumi,” said the other girl stiffly, “I have a test tomorrow morning first thing, so I need to review my notes,” she said. Naru was dressed in her sleeping shirt, her hair loose down her back, her bare legs revealed to upper thigh by the sleeping shirt. Mutsumi's eyes flickered to the Liddo-kun doll over the cover that allowed access to Keitaro's room, directly below Naru's room.
 
“If you want to check on Kei-kun, please don't mind me,” she said. Naru twitched.
 
“What do I care what that pervert does?” she asked waspishly. How dare he have Motoko as a fiancée?! she shrieked internally. Doesn't he realize that he's my boyfriend?! “He's probably jerking off, thinking of Motoko,” she snarled out loud.
 
“You think so?” replied Mutsumi. “I don't know…” she mused.
 
“He's probably hoping that Kanako will sneak in there, too,” added Naru, her fists trembling. “Horny jerk!” she hissed. Mutsumi considered the younger girl.
 
“Na-chan, maybe you should sleep with him tonight, if it bothers you so much,” she said reasonably. Naru jerked at Mutsumi's words.
 
“No way!” she denied. “Why should I do that?!” she demanded. Mutsumi closed her eyes, turning her face away from Naru.
 
“No reason, Na-chan,” she said softly, “just thinking out loud,” she added.
 
“Whatever. I have to study,” insisted Naru. Mutsumi hummed, leaving Naru alone with her chaotic thoughts and class notes.
 
-
 
Why did it have to be Motoko-sempai? wondered Shinobu, standing naked before her mirror once more, intently studying her bare body. I can't compete with her! She's taller, her tits are bigger, her hair longer and her skills greater than my own! It's hopeless! Sighing, she slipped into her futon.
 
“Why Motoko-sempai of all people?” she asked herself once more. As she tried to sleep, her mind wrestled with the issue. Gradually, bit by bit, a solution began to form.
 
-
 
Kitsune sprawled out on her futon, absently tapping a forefinger against her hip. I never would have anticipated something like an ancient marriage order from the Emperor, she thought to herself. Granny Hina seems to be in support of the deal, too, so it's possible that Keitaro will end up with Motoko as his bride. If he does, he'll be in a position to inherit the House; maybe even the Aoyama estate as well, seeing as how Motoko is the heir to the dojo, and I think I heard Tsuruko say that as the head of the dojo, Motoko - or her husband! - will become the head of the clan.
 
A smile flickered across her lips. “Keitaro could become a rich man,” she thought out loud. And if that he does, then it means that I need to make sure that he likes me, she decided. Kitsune was not stupid. She knew that Keitaro's view of her could make or break her easy lifestyle here at the House. Naru hasn't committed herself yet, so it isn't like I would be sabotaging her relationship, mused the fox. And Keitaro is far from the worst guy I have ever met; he could even be the best, she allowed herself to think. “I think it's time I started looking to the future,” she murmured to herself, pulling her sheet up to her waist as she settled her head comfortably on her pillow.
 
Drifting closer to sleep, she smiled as she recalled the article she had sitting on her laptop. As a freelance columnist and piece writer, she had frequently drawn from the whirlpool that was life at the Hinata House. Since Keitaro had arrived, her column had been picked up by several classy subscription magazines due to the increased draw of the columns brought about by her parsing real life into stories. I think I will give the editors a teaser of this new column, then re-negotiate my contract, Kitsune decided. Things are going to get interesting after all!
 
-
 
“Nice room, meow,” offered Kuro as the cat surveyed the room he and Kanako had been assigned. Kanako sighed.
 
“Not as nice as Onii-chan's would be,” she said, setting aside her travel pack and undressing.
 
“You know,” began her cat, only to stop when Kanako glared at him. “Never mind, meow,” the feline said instead. Kanako settled in the futon, sighing unhappily.
 
Kuro watched his mistress curiously. “Not sneaking into Onii-chan's bed, meow?” he asked her.
 
“Too risky,” muttered Kanako. “Those other women will doubtlessly be expecting it,” she grimaced, eyes narrowing. “And besides, there are those Aoyama women to consider,” she added.
 
“I thought you actually liked Motoko, meow,” Kuro said, stretching his back by hooking his front claws into the tatami mats and pulling against his rear feet. The bell tied to his long tail tinkled delicately as he absently twitched it. Kanako didn't immediately answer him. “Meow?” he prompted her, straightening and moving over to her long enough to rub his cheek against her own cheek.
 
“Were it not for this issue, Motoko and I could be friends; I think,” said Kanako, her tone meditative.
 
“And Maehara, meow?”
 
Kanako's eyes hardened minutely. “Shinobu is my greatest rival,” she said tightly. “My feelings for her are immaterial in the face of the threat she represents,” stated the younger sister of Keitaro. Kuro bumped his nose against her ear, a purr buzzing in his throat.
 
“Indeed, meow?” the cat challenged as he moved toward the open window. Kanako frowned at him.
 
“Where are you going, Kuro?” she wondered. Her cat turned to look at his mistress, yellow eyes glowing in the moonlight shadows.
 
“It's night, meow,” he said as if that explained everything. Easily leaping to the sill, he paused just a moment, looking back at Kanako a final time. “You should think it over, meow,” suggest the cat before vanishing with a silent leap and equally silent landing. Kanako closed her eyes.
 
“Easy for you to say, Kuro,” she muttered, concentrating on falling asleep. Granny Hina was a morning person, after all.
 
-
 
The eastern sky was only just beginning to lighten, a wispy morning fog faintly softening the insides of the walled Hina House estate proper. Silence was still dominate, though birds and other, fainter sounds were beginning to intrude on the grounds of the Urashima house. Most people would be asleep at this early hour; even the residents of the House.
 
Shinobu was already sitting up in bed, hiding a yawn behind her hand as she prepared to rise and begin her day. She usually awoke before the others save Motoko unless Naru or Keitaro had failed to sleep the night before. Listening attentively as she slowly stood and reached for her towel, she concentrated on the faint creak the decking made as Motoko practiced her sword strikes each morning at this hour. The small chef knew that Motoko usually meditated for half hour or so before her sword practice, and she could almost set a clock by the sword maiden's routine.
 
Not hearing the faint sounds she had learned to listen for, the girl glanced at her clock. Ten minutes early, she noted. And her sister is here, so maybe she is running a little behind. Hmm. I think I should prepare a traditional breakfast for Tsuruko-sempai, she considered. Fare at the House was eclectic to say the least, though Shinobu was truly versatile in the kitchen - something that made things easier on everyone.
 
Wrapping her towel around herself, she picked up her bath basket and made her way out of her room for a relatively-quick dip in the hot spring. Moving through the dark halls of the house, her mind began to organize her day. By the time that she rinsed off her body wash and settled into the empty hot spring, she was already making up a grocery list for supper, planning her stops after school, and reviewing her school work for the next day.
 
“Kiya!” came a war cry from above and behind her, followed a moment later by a form landing easily next to the rim of the hot spring. Other than a startled jerk and a soft, high-pitched eep! Shinobu didn't react. Such things happened at the Hinata House, after all, and you either got used to them or went mad early on.
 
“Not bad, Kanako-chan,” chuckled a familiar voice, “but you still lack focus,” Granny Hina told the unseen younger sister of her beloved sempai. “Morning, Shinobu-chan,” added the old woman, grinning at Shinobu before fondly caressing the small girl's cheek. “You truly have grown into a great beauty, my dear Shinobu-chan,” remarked the old woman. Shinobu blushed.
 
“Y…you flatter me, Granny,” she said quietly.
 
“Not at all,” said the old woman easily. Like a wraith, the old woman seemed to vanish from the spot in front of Shinobu as a dark blur landed exactly where the old woman had been, a Ki-infused fist cracking the stones that formed the lip of the spring. “You still have far to go, Kanako-chan,” taunted the old woman, now standing casually on the other side of the shallow pool. “Focus, Kanako, focus,” admonished the head of the Urashima clan.
 
Shinobu saw Kanako's lips peel back from her teeth at that remark, forming a scary smile. She…she likes this! realized Shinobu. Kanako leapt at Granny Hina, only to find that Granny Hina had leapt toward her, the two meeting over the water of the hot spring. Kanako delivered a blow from the secret Urashima style that would knock the old bat silly.
 
Provided, of course, that Granny Hina didn't evade the blow. To Kanako's dismay - but not surprise - Granny Hina seemed to bend around the strike, her hands seizing Kanako's shoulder and waist before the old woman twisted in place, throwing the dark-haired girl into the water below before arcing back over to land easily back in front of Shinobu. As Kanako's head broke the surface of the hot spring, Granny Hina smiled at Shinobu. “You and I should talk some in private, Shinobu-chan,” said the old woman softly, once more caressing the youngest girl's face with her fingertips. “As for you, Kanako,” she directed her words to the younger sister, “you aren't concentrating this morning. You must learn focus before you can advance.”
 
“Yes, Granny Hina,” said Kanako, her tone a bit sullen. The girl had been wearing a black spandex top and bottoms not unlike a bikini. Running her hands across her hair, she pressed water from her locks as she moved toward the edge of the spring. Her eyes briefly flickered over Shinobu's naked form.
 
“Right now,” Hina interjected, “we have something to watch. Come, Kanako,” ordered the old woman, moving off in a manner that belied her age. Kanako swiftly jumped out of the hot spring and moved after the wrinkled old woman. Shinobu noticed that Kanako was barefooted.
 
She is really no taller or curvier than me, Shinobu thought, eyeing the figure of the younger Urashima woman. And her hair is short, too. Maybe…?
 
“Oh, Shinobu-chan?” came Hina's voice, interrupting her thoughts.
 
“Yes, Granny?” replied the young girl immediately.
 
“Haruka will help you with breakfast this morning,” Hina revealed. “With extra guests in the house, it isn't fair to put the extra work on your shoulders.”
 
“I…I can handle it!” Shinobu said earnestly. A soft laugh floated back to her.
 
“Undoubtedly, Shinobu-chan, but it still isn't right,” Hina insisted. Shinobu slowly got out of the spring and made her way back to her room to dress for the day, her mind busy.
 
Moving through the back lawns of the house, Kanako glanced at Hina. “It is because of the Aoyama women, isn't it?” she guessed shrewdly. “Do you really think that they would dare risk a fight in our house?” she wondered. Hina sent her a surprised look.
 
“Motoko-chan and her sister have nothing to do with my assigning Haruka to help Shinobu,” she said. “It is exactly as I told Shinobu: there is a lot more work to do, and she deserves help preparing the food,” Hina asserted. Kanako gave her grandmother a skeptical look. “Besides, neither Aoyama woman is there right now,” added the matriarch of the Urashima family.
 
Before Kanako could ask, her ears detected the ring of steel on steel from ahead of them. “They are sparring in our estate?” she asked, sounding insulted.
 
“Yes,” agreed Hina calmly, moving past the abandoned annex building. “They are guests - and warriors - and as such, there is no insult in their actions,” the old woman pointed out. Kanako hummed, but made no verbal reply. “Now, be silent and watch, Kanako,” directed Hina softly, slowly moving through a thick line of bamboo to reveal the further-most end of the walled estate.
 
In the modest-sized grassy area that was formed by the rear wall, the bamboo hedge, and the annex, the two sisters faced each other, sword in hand. Both wore their normal hakama and gis. Tsuruko and Motoko had their hair tied back in pony tails, headbands tied across their foreheads. Motoko was focused on her sister, her blade raised. Tsuruko was smiling pleasantly at her younger sister, her own blade held almost negligently.
 
In a blur, the younger sister attacked, slashes, thrusts and hilt blows raining down on Tsuruko, who never stopped smiling as she parried, blocked and dodged the fluid, never-ceasing attacks. One step, two steps, three steps, the younger drove the elder back. Kanako's eyes narrowed as she watched intently. Motoko has indeed improved markedly from the last time I was here, she realized. Still, Tsuruko will best her once more, the younger sister thought, seeing Tsuruko shift minutely in preparation for her counter-attack.
 
Shocking the watching sister and the elder fighter both, Motoko suddenly released her sword hilt with her strong hand, leaving the katana held by only her left hand, balled her fist up, and struck a snake-fast punch to Tsuruko's stomach. A shocked look flickered across Tsuruko's face as her breath was driven from her by the sucker punch to the solar plexus. Motoko didn't hesitate, bunching her shoulder as she turned inside and downward, driving her sword against Tsuruko's blade, which in turn drove her sister to the ground. As she dropped to her knees, straddling her sister's prone form, Motoko's knee pinned Tsuruko's sword wrist to the grass, her own blade hovering over her sister's throat.
 
“Wonderful!” Hina called out, cackling gleefully as she began to clap. “Motoko-chan, you surprised not only your sister, but me as well! Masterfully played!” enthused the old woman.
 
“And yet,” sighed Motoko, “I still lost,” she said sourly. Kanako looked lower, seeing Tsuruko's fist touching Motoko's breastbone. “Had she used a Ki attack, it would have likely killed me,” the younger sister noted.
 
“Perhaps, Motoko,” Tsuruko said calmly. “But, you would have been no deader than I, sister,” she reminded the younger Aoyama where her sword was. “Hina-sama is correct; you caught me completely off guard with that attack,” admitted the elder sister. Motoko blinked at the admission from her sister.
 
“I…beat you?” she breathed, shocked. Tsuruko laughed behind a raised sleeve.
 
“I wouldn't go that far, Mo-chan,” she teased her younger sister. “I will concede a draw at most,” she said firmly. Turning to look at Hina and Kanako, she sheathed her sword without looking. “Have you seen what you wished to see, Hina-sama?” asked the elder sister. “Motoko is a fit and able heir to the Aoyama style; if somewhat inexperienced,” the elder qualified her initial praise. Motoko flushed at her onee-chan's words.
 
“Hmm,” Hina demurred. “I have seen some things, but there is more I wish to see,” she replied cryptically. Tsuruko bowed to Hina.
 
“As you wish,” said the elder sister. “Kanako-chan,” said Tsuruko, eyeing the dark form of the younger Urashima. Kanako's eyes narrowed at the tone.
 
“Oba-san,” came the curt reply.
 
“Kanako,” said Hina firmly, quietly.
 
“Tsuruko-san,” said Kanako tightly, her hands balling into fists. Motoko eyed the sister of her potential husband.
 
“You were sparring as well?” asked Motoko, seeking to ease the odd tension she felt between Tsuruko and Kanako. The dark eyes of Kanako found her own.
 
“Do you wish to try a match with me?” asked Kanako, her smile hard.
 
“You will not,” said Hina, her words as steel. “Either of you,” she added pointedly. “Motoko-chan,” she directed the taller of the two, “please accompany Kanako back to the House. I believe you could both use a soothing soak in the spring. Also, Shinobu-chan and Haruka will likely have breakfast ready before too long,” she ordered.
 
“Yes, granny Hina,” Motoko agreed immediately.
 
“If Shinobu has not yet completed the preparations for breakfast, you will assist her in any way she directs you to,” Tsuruko ordered her sister.
 
“Yes, Onee-chan,” Motoko confirmed.
 
“Aren't you coming with us?” asked Kanako, eyeing Tsuruko's stance.
 
“In a moment, Kanako,” Granny Hina said. “Now shoo!” she flipped her hand at the younger two, who moved off toward the house. They were moving carefully, clearly keeping an eye on each other. Once they were gone, Hina turned her attention to Tsuruko. The elder Aoyama clearly expected this, as she had composed herself.
 
“What was it you wished Kanako to witness in my sister's and my spar, Hina-sama?” asked Tsuruko, pre-empting Hina.
 
“So, you detected her presence, then,” Hina replied blandly. “She - like Motoko - has a ways to go, wouldn't you agree?” asked Hina. Tsuruko nodded.
 
“Yes, though I have said before that Motoko is more gifted than I in our family art,” she said, glancing once more at Hina. “I presume that Kanako is the same in your secret style?” prompted the older sister. Hina made no reply to that, switching topics instead.
 
“Tsuruko-chan,” said the old woman, “I am aware that you know the dangers of the current situation, so I will speak directly to the point: what did the Aoyama elders order you to do about this situation?” she asked. Tsuruko considered the question in silence for several minutes. Hina patiently waited, aware of the debate in Tsuruko's mind about how much she could reveal of her family's goals to what amounted to an enemy.
 
“It is the wish of the Aoyama to cleanse this blemish from our shared history, Hina-sama,” she said at last. “To that ends, I have been given a great amount of lee-way in what I may bind our family to in order that the stain be expunged, and harmony between us re-established.”
 
“I see. And there were no dissenting voices in the council?” asked Hina. Tsuruko frowned.
 
“I do not follow your meaning, Hina-sama,” she replied politely.
 
“Do not lie to me, Tsuruko,” said Hina warningly. “This situation was generated by factionalism in your clan, and I fear we might well face that problem once more. I will not have this blow up in my face as it did with my ancestors, Tsuruko Aoyama!” Tsuruko heard the steel in Hina's voice.
 
“Though there were some who questioned rather or not to reveal to you the scroll's content, all agreed that there should be at least an honorable attempt at reconciliation between our houses. To that ends, Motoko and myself effectively speak for the whole Aoyama family in this matter,” she assured Hina.
 
“So, then, I can trust that you wish to see this through, then?” asked Hina, eyes on the elder Aoyama. Tsuruko nodded.
 
“My word on that, Hina-sama,” she pledged. To her surprised, Hina smiled at her.
 
“You remind me of your grandmother,” said Hina, a burst of laughter escaping her lips. “Oh, I do miss Yayoi's stiff demeanor sometimes,” she said, more to herself than to Tsuruko. Tsuruko sucked in a quick breath.
 
“Hina-sama?” she asked respectfully, “could you…tell me more about my grandmother?”