Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Legacy ❯ Chapter 3

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

“See you tonight!” called out Shinobu as she dashed off after Su. Breakfast had been busy, as usual, and though the balance of the house was still off, it was much more normal than it had been the night before. Naru had barely given Keitaro a greeting when he arrived for breakfast, Kanako hugging his arm proprietarily. The young man had sighed, knowing the signs that his girlfriend was going to be temper-mental for the near future. Why does she always assume I am the one who causes this kind of situation? he asked himself.
 
The others had greeted him, Shinobu her normal cheerful self, Su energetic, Sarah almost rudely, Kitsune in a strangely friendly fashion that made him wonder if she was short on rent again, and Motoko in a reserved, yet warm manner. Mutsumi smiled at him warmly before asking how he slept. Draining her coffee, Naru had nearly bolted for the door, citing class.
 
Next up were Su, Sarah and Shinobu, who hurried off not that long after Naru left, leaving the core group in the living room. Keitaro - though a Todai student - was not attending regular classes since his discovery of the ruins. He was getting credit toward his degree in archeology by excavating the ruins, writing papers on what he found, and giving the occasional lecture at the school. Mutsumi was in a similar situation, though in her case, she was only a few papers away from graduating with her degree. Keitaro reflected on how things had changed over the last few years since he met her. No more fainting spells, and she is really good at school work in spite of her odd test-taking methodology, he thought fleetingly.
 
“Kitsune,” said Granny Hina to the slacker, “be a dear and mind the tea shop for a bit, will you? There are some things we need to discuss in private,” she said. Kitsune had wanted to stay and gather information for later use, but knew better than to cross the old woman.
 
“Sure, Granny,” said the resident, standing. Stopping before Keitaro, she stretched her back - not incidentally giving him a good view of her impressive attributes.
 
“You shouldn't be too busy this morning,” Haruka said, absently toying with her cigarettes, “but if you get swamped, call up here and I'll come help you,” she said.
 
“Tea still in the same place?” wondered Kitsune. Haruka nodded.
 
“Yeah, but remember that the price has gone up on Chao Xi Wai tea thanks to that stupid tariff they passed last month. Oh, and the price of the high-end green tea has risen as well,” she thought to mention. Kitsune nodded.
 
“I got it,” she drawled. Flipping a hand, the ash-haired young woman moved off toward the steps that descended the hill the House sat on. The tea shop was nestled tight to the wall of the compound, not too far from the gate to the main entrance. Might as well have some sake, while I'm working, she thought, smiling a sharp smile.
 
“And don't drink more than a bottle of sake, Kitsune-chan,” Hina said, almost as if she could read the younger girl's mind.
 
“R…right,” Kitsune said, grimacing. Damn old bat is a sharp one, after all, the fox-girl thought sourly. Haruka pulled a cigarette from her pack with her lips, fishing for a lighter as she put her smokes away. Just as she found her lighter, she saw Hina staring at her evenly. Haruka didn't need to be as good at reading people as she was to get the message. Smothering a sigh, she put the cigarette away.
 
Hina looked around the room. Keitaro was bracketed by Kanako and Haruka, Motoko and Tsuruko sat together, and Mutsumi and her elders were in a group. Hina settled on the coffee table, giving her eye contact with all of them. “Well,” said the old woman, “I think it's time to get down to brass tacks, wouldn't you agree?” she asked them, a smile on her wrinkled face.
 
“Very well,” said Tsuruko after a moment of silence. “We of the Aoyama are fully prepared to honor the terms of the edict. As we are the only two of pure Aoyama blood of age and standing to fulfill the requirements, I - on behalf of the entire clan - offer myself or Motoko to the Urashimas,” said the older sister formally.
 
“You're married, aren't you?” asked Haruka of her old rival. “How does offering yourself to wed when you are already wed honor the edict?”
 
“It is as you say,” agreed Tsuruko, “however, I am eldest so honor dictates that I offer myself to the Urashima.”
 
“You would offer yourself to wed Onii-chan, even though you are used goods?” needled Kanako coldly. The girl was a coiled spring, her tense posture easy to read. Motoko tensed at the veiled insult against her sister, but Tsuruko didn't bat an eye.
 
“It depends on how you view such things, Kanako,” said the elder sister. “My…experience could very well prove highly valuable in satisfying Keitaro-sama,” she leered at Kanako, knowing that the younger sister couldn't really return that without digging a pit for herself. Kanako's eyes narrowed into a glare.
 
“Play nice, you two,” chided Hina, a small smile on her face. “After all, we're going to have to get along if this is to work,” she reminded them. “Motoko-chan, have you grown enough to honestly say that you could be wife to my grandson without driving yourself crazy?” she asked the younger sister. Motoko blushed.
 
“I…yes, I think so,” she said quietly, unable to look at Keitaro. “If Keitaro would accept me, I…would be honored to be his wife,” said the tall, strong woman timidly. Keitaro blinked.
 
“Really?” he asked, surprised. Motoko nodded silently. “Wow,” he breathed. I thought she hated me! And she always sent me flying for the smallest thing, he thought. As if reading his thoughts, Kanako once more jumped in.
 
“You have a history of attacking Onii-chan without cause or justification, Aoyama,” she said tightly. “I could never trust you not to harm him,” she declared, leaning closer to Keitaro.
 
“That was true before, Kanako,” said Motoko softly. “Since your last visit, I…things…have changed somewhat,” she said cryptically.
 
“Have they changed enough, though?” came the voice of Mutsumi's mother. “Mutsumi has born witness to many unwarranted attacks on Keitaro by yourself and Naru, Motoko, and has even been on the receiving end of some attacks from you as well,” noted the older of the Otohime women.
 
“Not recently, though,” Motoko insisted. “I have not raised hand or sword against him in nearly a year,” she insisted. Naru, however, is another story… the swordswoman thought.
 
“That is true,” agreed Mutsumi. The girl wore her normal sunny smile.
 
“And yet, the question is rather or not you will make a suitable wife to Keitaro with the history you have with him,” Mutsumi's mother pointed out.
 
“I don't mind, really,” Keitaro said, making a dismissing gesture. “Motoko is just doing what she thinks she needs to do to protect the younger girls,” he insisted.
 
“You're so noble it's freakish, Keitaro,” grunted Haruka. If not for the curse, you would have died a hundred times over by now, she thought.
 
“Huh?”
 
“You really believe that, don't you?” sighed Kanako, shaking her head. “They are just violent, Onii-chan; she and Naru both!” insisted the younger sister.
 
“And what about all the times you have tied me up, Kanako-chan?!” he accused her. Kanako glanced away from him.
 
“It was just to keep you from running off to protect you,” she said innocently. Hina cackled at that.
 
“I see you live an interesting life, grandson,” she said gleefully.
 
“Grandma!” protested the young man. Would a little sympathy be too much to ask?! he silently begged.
 
“It's true, Kei-kun,” smiled Mutsumi. “You seem to enjoy your life here,” she added.
 
“Uh, well, I've kind of gotten used to it,” said the young man lamely, thinking off all the times that he had seen the girls in varying states of undress. He blinked, realizing that he had - at one time or another - seen all the girls naked. His face colored at he recalled how nice those times had been. Almost worth the air time to see such beauty, he reflected.
 
“Oh, I think you have more than `gotten used' to it!” came the sly voice of Granny Hina. “Still, this is getting off track,” she said firmly. “So, you offer yourselves. Do you find these two acceptable, Keitaro?” asked the old woman. Keitaro blinked.
 
“Me?” he wondered out loud. Hina nodded.
 
“You're the one who is going to marry, Keitaro,” she explained. Seeing Motoko and Tsuruko watching him, he slowly nodded.
 
“Well, I guess, if it is that important,” he agreed.
 
“Thank you, Keitaro-sama,” said Tsuruko, giving him a bow. “Now, we need to decide which of us is to be his wife,” she said, moving forward.
 
“Not so fast, you two,” interjected the elder of the Otohime family. Tsuruko and Motoko looked to the other faction. “We do not agree that they are suitable for marriage to Keitaro, Hina,” he said.
 
“And so?” asked Tsuruko, knowing that she had to address the Turtle Clan's concerns if this was to work out.
 
“Before now, it has been the idea of the Urashima and Otohime families to join our lines,” said Mutsumi's mother. “It was to that ends that we sent Mutsumi here so long ago, to live with Hina and get an idea if she and Keitaro were compatible. We have made certain plans based on the bond that Keitaro and Mutsumi forged when they were children, but this new crisis jeopardizes those plans.”
 
“You mean…?” wondered Keitaro, looking at Mutsumi. The Okinawan girl nodded.
 
“Yes, Kei-kun, I was to be your bride,” she verified. Her smile was warm. Keitaro blinked.
 
“Then, you were…” he mumbled to himself. Mutsumi nodded.
 
“I and Na-chan are both promise girls to you, Kei-kun,” she answered him. “When we were younger, Na-chan stayed here with us for a while, and we ended up in a three-way promise,” she said, smiling at some memory.
 
“Really?” breathed Keitaro, trying to recall details about the foggy, half-forgotten memories of his earliest visits to the Hinata House.
 
“She's right, you know,” said Haruka, staring at the ceiling. “You and Mutsumi were inseparable, and when Naru showed up, you two took her in like a long-lost friend.”
 
“She was actually a timid girl,” Hina recalled, grinning, “and a bit sickly when she first got here, but we fixed that!” she cackled. Thinking of the times he had been sent into the great blue sky, Keitaro couldn't argue with his grandmother.
 
“Yes, I noticed,” he muttered.
 
“And for that reason, we of the Otohime offer Mutsumi as wife to Keitaro,” said the elder of the Turtle Clan. Mutsumi nodded in agreement.
 
“I would be honored to be your wife, Keitaro,” she confirmed. Motoko frowned.
 
Beside Keitaro, Kanako didn't like this development. Motoko and her sister, she could deal with, given their history of violence toward Keitaro, but Mutsumi was a problem for her. This is not good at all, thought the girl.
 
“What would it take for the Turtle Clan to withdraw their offer of Mutsumi?” asked Tsuruko of the elders.
 
“Hmm,” the eldest hummed, absently stroking his chin, “that is a good question, Aoyama,” he said carefully.
 
“I don't intend to withdraw unless Kei-kun tells me he doesn't love me,” said Mutsumi.
 
“Quite the selection you have, grandson,” leered granny Hina. “So, who do you favor?” she pressed him playfully.
 
“Uh, I…well, about that…” Keitaro rambled, blushing.
 
“Relax, grandson,” Hina said, “you needn't pick right now,” she allowed.
 
“But, Naru and I…!” began Keitaro. Hina hummed.
 
“Yes, there is that, as well,” said the old woman. “Tell me, how is your relationship with Na-chan?” asked the woman.
 
-
 
“Narusegawa,” came a voice from behind the girl. Turning, Naru saw one of her classmates approaching her. The brunette rage-a-holic stopped and waited, the young man catching up to her moments later. “Me and some of the others are going to get some coffee, maybe do some karaoke, and relax after that last test. You in?” he asked her, smiling at her.
 
“I have some things to do at home,” said Naru, frowning as she recalled what was going on at the Hinata at the moment. “I'll have to take a rain check. Sorry,” she said.
 
“Come on, Narusegawa,” pleaded the young man, “an hour or two won't kill you, right?” he argued. Naru considered the argument. Keitaro is probably mooning over Motoko even now, she thought, her eyes narrowing. I can't believe that she would back-stab me like that! Wasn't she the man-hater of our group when he first came to the Hinata? Now, some musty old paper is found, and suddenly, she loves him! Well, let's just see how long that lasts when the klutz accidentally jerks her skirt off, or falls on her while she's changing! Naru blinked.
 
Now there's a thought! If I just wait a bit, Keitaro will mess up like always, Motoko will clobber him with an attack, and he'll come right back to me! A smile flickered across her lips. Looking at her classmate, she nodded. “You're right,” she said, “I can spare an hour or so,” she agreed. The young man grinned.
 
“That's the spirit!” he enthused. “Come on; the others are already waiting,” he said, motioning her toward the door. Naru tossed her hair as headed toward the main entrance to Tokyo University. Glancing at her watch, she judged that she could spend a couple hours with her classmates, then head home to re-claim her errant boyfriend.
 
-
 
“Maehara! Wait up!” called a voice from behind Shinobu. The small woman turned, hiding her impatience as her homeroom teacher hurried after her.
 
“Sensei,” she said respectfully, bowing to the man. “What is it?” she asked him.
 
“Maehara-chan,” the man said, “Forgive me if I am wrong, but you seemed distracted and unfocused in class today. Is something wrong?” he asked her.
 
“No, sensei,” said Shinobu, thinking of the situation with Motoko and Keitaro. “Just some personal issues at home,” she said. Smiling, she bowed to him. “Thank you for your concern, sensei, but I am fine!” she promised.
 
“You are the best student I have had in years, Maehara,” said the man, “and right now, you are a shoe-in for Todai. I don't want to see something interfere with that,” he shared. Shinobu smiled again.
 
“You don't need to worry, Sensei,” she repeated herself. “If you will excuse me, I must be going now,” she said, bowing again. Watching the girl hurry off, the teacher digested the conversation he had just had with the shy, but sharp girl.
 
“Maybe I should do a home visit,” he thought out loud. Thoughtfully, he turned back toward the teacher's lounge.
 
-
 
Kitsune stretched as the last of the mid-day rush customers exited the tea shop with a half-wave to her. Taking a seat on the stool behind the register, Kitsune fished out the bottle of sake she had filched earlier and poured herself a cup. Glancing at the clock, she wondered how things were going in the big meeting up in the House. If they don't wrap it up soon, the other girls will start getting back home, thought the fox-girl.
 
Leaning back against the wall, the least active girl in the House pulled out her track book and began to peruse the daily matches. Her heart wasn't in it, though. This is a rare chance, she thought, if I can get an in, I could be set for life, she mused. Keitaro is already a famous archeologist, and he got into Todai, so it isn't like he is a ronin any more. As potential husband material, he has only gotten better and better the longer he lives here. Why Naru hasn't jumped all over that before now is beyond me, she thought, grinning.
 
The grin slipped, though, as she considered the situation with her best friend. I stepped aside for her with Seta, and again for Keitaro, but the girl just can't commit. Even after all this time, she isn't even acting like she is dating him. Maybe, thought the girl, it's time to nudge Naru aside, if she isn't going to act. Heaven knows that there are plenty of others waiting in line for a shot - not the least of which is Shinobu-chan!
 
Thinking of the small domestic of the group, Kitsune wondered how it was possible for Keitaro to still be oblivious to how deeply the girl felt about him. Heh! If he wasn't so dense, he wouldn't be Keitaro, she snickered to herself. “Wonder what is being decided up there?” she asked out loud.
 
The ringing of the phone jarred her from her thoughts. Picking up the handset, she automatically rattled off the standard greeting of the tea house. “Hinata Tea Shop, thank you for calling. How may I help you?”
 
“Kitsune-chan!” came the amused voice of Granny Hina, “how's business?” she asked the draftee.
 
“About normal,” shrugged Kitsune. “How're the negotiations going?” she asked in turn.
 
“We have reached a sort of impasse,” said the old woman. “Kitsune-chan, we will need to have a meeting tonight of the residents. I want you to nip on out to town and grab some sake for us. Take some money from the register, close the shop, and get going! I need you back here by the time the rest arrive home,” ordered the woman. Kitsune blinked.
 
“Uh, ok, Granny,” said the woman, but the old head of the Urashima clan had already hung up. Thoughtfully cradling the phone, Kitsune opened the register and pulled out a wad of bills. Swiftly counting them, the ash-haired girl took a few more before closing the register and moving toward the door. After closing the door and flipping the sign over to read `closed for day', Kitsune headed toward town.
 
It's not every day that I'm told to take money from the register and go buy booze, she worried. Something is probably going wrong; same as it always does, she thought, amused. Well, Granny Hina is here, so whatever has happened, she will handle it, decided Kitsune. Looking at her watch, she picked up the pace a little. Might as well get some extra; just to keep from wasting a trip.
 
-
 
“Hiding, Keitaro?”
 
The young man turned to see Haruka moving up the ridgeline of the roof toward him. “Not really, Aunt Haruka,” he said, eyes on the sunset. Haruka sank down beside him, hitting him on the head as she did so.
 
“Don't call me `aunt', Keitaro,” she said casually.
 
“Sorry,” he shrugged. Haruka and Keitaro sat silently side by side as the last of the sun slipped below the horizon. “I'm making this difficult, aren't I?” he asked at last. Haruka considered that.
 
“I suppose that is a matter of perspective, Keitaro,” said the older Urashima. “Do you find the prospect of being married to one of the Aoyama sisters distasteful?” she asked. Keitaro shook his head.
 
“Of course not,” he replied. “It's just…unfair to make such a big decision without considering the feelings of the others,” he said, his tone frustrated. “Naru and I are finally dating, and now this comes up…!”
 
“Not much of a dating relationship if you ask me,” muttered Haruka, “but then, I'm not exactly in a position to be snippy about it,” she admitted. “I'm more concerned that you're once more putting the girls ahead of yourself, Keitaro,” she pointed out. Keitaro blinked stupidly at her.
 
“Huh?”
 
“Never mind,” said Haruka. He's just that kind of guy. It's so rare that I've half a mind to try as well! she thought, fondly patting his head.
 
“Haruka? Am I making a mistake?” wondered Keitaro several minutes later. “I mean, the girls are probably going to be upset when they hear about it, and I don't want them to think that I am forcing myself on any of them,” he worried. Haruka snorted.
 
“Keitaro, you could no more force yourself on these girls than you could piss to the moon,” she said, snickering. “All that thin air must have addled your brain if you think you could actually force them in any way!” she ribbed him.
 
“Not like that,” sighed Keitaro. “I mean, I don't want them to think that I am forcing them to become involved in this matter.”
 
“How so?”
 
“Well, this is really a matter between the Urashima and Aoyama families, right? The other girls shouldn't have to become involved in this, but they are being dragged into it because they live here. I don't want them to feel any sort of obligation to try and help me by getting involved any further.”
 
Haruka stared at Keitaro. “You don't know a damn thing about girls, do you, cousin?” she said disbelievingly.
 
“I guess not,” shrugged Keitaro. “Why are you calling me `cousin'?” he wondered. Haruka leaned back.
 
“Because that is what we are, Keitaro - cousins.”
 
“But, you're my aunt, aren't you?” asked the young man. Haruka glared at him.
 
“Matter of fact, I'm not, Keitaro. You are mistaking me for my mom, Yoko Urashima. Ever since you were a kid, you have gotten us mixed up! You met mom once, Keitaro, but ever since then, every time you saw me, you called me `aunt'! Damn it, do I look that old to you?!” she asked, exasperated. Not getting an answer, she glanced over to see him staring at her, mouth open, clearly locked up mentally on that revelation. Sighing, Haruka fished out a cigarette. “This is why I never bothered to correct it earlier,” she told herself sourly.
 
Once her cigarette was going, she reached over and pinched Keitaro's nose, jolting the young man out of his mental paralysis. “Getting back to business, Keitaro, I wouldn't worry about `dragging the girls in'; they are already in up to their eyebrows!” she said. Some, like Shinobu-chan, are even deeper in than that, too, she left unsaid.
 
“I just don't want to hurt them, or make them unhappy,” murmured Keitaro. Haruka grunted, sucking on her cancer stick. “Living here has been the best time of my life, Haruka,” added the young man softly.
 
“Then, maybe you should act like it,” suggested Haruka. Knowing that Keitaro was unlikely to follow her reasoning, she expanded on the idea. “You know, cousin, being a little greedy and selfish is not necessarily a bad thing sometimes. Have a bit more faith in the girls around you, hmm?”
 
Keitaro was silent, he face revealing that he was still wrestling with the issue. As the stars brightened over head, Haruka heard Shinobu call them in for supper. Rising, she pulled Keitaro up as well. “In any event,” said the older of the two calmly, “it's time to face the firing squad. Come on, Keitaro,” grinned the woman, fondly ruffling his hair, “let's get you your last meal.”
 
“You have a funny way of trying to cheer someone up, Haruka,” he noted. His cousin just grinned.
 
-
 
“Come on, Narusegawa,” urged her friend, putting a hand on her arm, “one more set.” Naru shook her head.
 
“No,” she said, brushing off his hand, “I should have headed back two hours ago,” she insisted, glancing at her watch. In the karaoke room, the rest of the small Todai group watched the two, drinks in hand.
 
“It's not like your house won't be there,” reasoned the man. Seeing Naru wasn't weakening like she had the last two times he had convinced her to stay longer, he changed tactics. “At least finish your drink, hm?” he suggested. Naru considered the merits of that suggestion.
 
It was pretty expensive, she thought, eyeing the frozen drink on the table, and I do like strawberries, she considered. Reaching down, she picked up the half-empty drink. “Ok, but then, I have to head back,” she announced before sipping from the drink.
 
“Fair enough,” her school companion agreed mildly. Picking up the song menu, he eyed it. “While we're waiting, how about we do a duet?” he suggested. Naru shook her head, still sipping her drink. “No? Well, ok then,” he smiled, “I'll just have to go it solo.”
 
Two minutes into the song, Naru set her drink down. “Enough,” she groaned, rising to take the second microphone and stand beside him. “If I have to listen to that screeching any longer, I'll have nightmares,” she said playfully.
 
“It wasn't that bad,” he said, only to have the others boo him. “Ok, so maybe it was,” shrugged the man, seeing Naru hit the button to restart the song. “Say, Naru,” he said, “how did you get so good at singing?”
 
“Didn't you know?” smiled Naru, “there was a time not too long ago when I was an idol.” Forestalling any reply from the man, she hit the opening cue right on mark.
 
-
 
“Any luck?” asked Keitaro, seeing Kitsune shake her head.
 
“I keep getting her voice mail,” reported the ash-haired girl. Keitaro sighed. Supper had ended a while ago, with Naru still a no-show. Worried about her he had called her cell phone but gotten her voice mail. A call to Tokyo U told him that she had left shortly after her class. While it helped a little, it didn't help enough. Kitsune had tried her phone as well, but gotten the same result. Having left a somewhat terse message for Naru to hurry her ass home, Kitsune had hung up.
 
“Maybe something happened to her,” Keitaro though out loud. “I should go…” he began, only to break off as he felt a hand on his arm.
 
“Narusegawa can take care of herself, Onii-chan,” Kanako said. “If she is too busy to come home, that is her choice,” she added, her tone bland and reasonable, but the undercurrent positively gleeful.
 
“Kanako,” he began.
 
“She does have a point, Keitaro,” said Haruka. “Do you have any sort of clue where to look for her?” asked his cousin. “And have you considered that if you go out to look for her, you could very well miss her as she comes home?” Keitaro blinked.
 
“Um, I guess,” he allowed.
 
“In any event,” Tsuruko interjected smoothly, “we do have matters to discuss, do we not, Keitaro-sama?” Kanako sent a cold stare at the elder Aoyama sister, but said nothing.
 
“I really think that Naru should be here when we discuss…that,” Keitaro said, uncomfortable with his girlfriend being absent from a discussion about his marriage issues. Heh! `Issues', he thought wryly, as if I don't have enough of those already!
 
The house was assembled in the living room once more, and Keitaro was thinking back to Haruka's words on the roof about firing squads. His disturbing thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the main door. “Must be her,” he sighed in relief, hurrying to open it.
 
“Why would Naru knock?” wondered Shinobu to Motoko.
 
“She wouldn't,” said Motoko distractedly. Something familiar… she tried to pin down the odd feeling she had.
 
“Welcome back, Na…!” Keitaro froze, seeing who was revealed in the doorway.
 
“Keitaro,” said the woman, stepping past him and moving purposefully toward the living room. “Koalla! What is the meaning of this?!” hissed Amalla Su, stopping in front of her younger sister. At the doorway, Keitaro was facing off with the elder Su's pet, her albino crocodile Shiro.
 
“Meaning of what, sis?” asked the younger princess. Amalla reached into her somewhat-scanty native Molmol dress and pulled out a fancy, heavy piece of paper, embossed with the three-eyed symbol of their homeland.
 
“This,” hissed the taller sister stiffly. Koalla glanced at the paper that was all but thrust in her face.
 
“It's a bond-pledge,” she shrugged. “You should know that,” she smiled up at her elder sister.
 
“I know what it is,” snarled Amalla, “I want to know what the meaning of this is!”
 
“It means that Keitaro will be my mate,” was the reply of the genius.
 
“WHAT?!” came a unified scream from the girls in the room. Well, nearly unified. Hina just snickered, delighted at the development.
 
“Koalla, this is legally binding!” Amalla sighed, exasperated. Koalla nodded eagerly.
 
“I know!”
 
“Ah,” Amalla sighed, rubbing her forehead. Just like always, she does as she pleases without a concern for the rest of us, Amalla thought, eyeing her grinning sister. “What are you so pleased about?” asked Amalla sourly.
 
“I get my two favorite people for spouses!” Su nearly bounced in excitement. Amalla frowned, seeming to notice the extra people in the living room for the first time.
 
“Two favorite…” she murmured, a thoughtful look on her face. “What is going on here?” she asked, absently tucking the document back into her clothes.
 
“Keitaro's getting married before he marries me,” Su exclaimed eagerly. “Motoko is going to be my wife,” she added happily.
 
“Um, that hasn't…” began Motoko, only to break off as Tsuruko touched her arm. Tsuruko was intently studying the room, a thoughtful look on her face.
 
“You are Kaolla's elder sister, then?” Hina interceded smoothly. Amalla looked to Hina, who was smiling at her from the corner of the room.
 
“Yes, I am crown princess of Molmol Amalla Su. And you are?” she asked.
 
“Hina Urashima, owner of the Hinata and Keitaro's grandma,” replied Hina easily.
 
“I see,” Amalla said, accepting a cup of tea from Shinobu. “Would you be so kind as to explain what has been happening here?”
 
“In a moment,” Hina said, seeing Shiro slid into the room. “Do be mindful of the floor,” said the old woman calmly to the albino crocodile. Amalla glanced at Shiro, who settled calmly near his mistress, who had found herself seated between Su and Kitsune. “First, I would like to hear about this document you have,” requested the matriarch of the Urashima.
 
“I suppose that is reasonable,” Amalla agreed easily. “In Molmol, the institution of marriage has shifted from what most societies consider it. Due to some issues with gender balance in our population, we of Molmol have become more…flexible in our marriage customs.”
 
“Gender balance? What does that mean exactly?” wondered Tsuruko. Amalla sipped her tea.
 
“It means that the men die off earlier than the women,” offered Su. Grinning at Keitaro, she went on. “Keitaro, though, is lots tougher!” Kitsune blinked.
 
“Is it that you all do things to your men like Su does to Keitaro?” guessed the slacker.
 
“Hardly,” interjected Amalla, “it's just that the men of Molmol do stupid things and end up hurt or dead.”
 
“If they get blown up once, they die; but not my Keitaro!” crowed Koalla.
 
“Anyway,” dismissed Amalla, “the Royal Lineage Academy has been in charge of marriage contracts for generations now. When a Molmolian wants to get married, they must submit a form to the Academy. Koalla,” she paused, giving her sister an annoyed look, “has submitted an application, and it has been approved.”
 
“Okies! Now I can marry Keitaro and his wife!” exclaimed Su jubilantly.
 
“Doesn't Keitaro get a say in this?” wondered Haruka.
 
“The application was signed by him,” Amalla replied.
 
“What?!” sputtered Keitaro. “I never signed any application,” he mumbled, frowning.
 
“Sure you did,” said Koalla. “Remember last year, when I asked you to play with me, and we practiced getting married?” she reminded him.
 
“But…but you said that was pretend!” Keitaro babbled.
 
Su shook her head. “Nope! I said it wasn't like a pretend wedding,” she corrected him.
 
“That was a year ago,” he nearly sobbed.
 
“It takes time for the Academy to review an application,” Amalla clarified.
 
“So, why were you upset with Su?” asked Shinobu timidly. The crocodile scared her almost as much as the big sister of her friend. Amalla scowled.
 
“Because she sent it to the Academy directly, instead of through the palace like she is supposed to!” gripped the elder sister. “Thanks to that, we only found out yesterday about her mandate,” she grumbled. “Father is upset, Koalla,” she added.
 
“And moms?” asked Koalla.
 
“Well…” Amalla sighed, “you know them,” she said cryptically. Koalla smiled.
 
“Then it's all ok,” she said carelessly.
 
“No, it is not `all ok',” came a tight, hard voice. The entire room turned to see Naru standing behind Keitaro, fire in her eyes. “You two-timing pervert!” she screamed, unloading a Naru Punchâ„¢ on Keitaro. “How dare you trick Su into something like that?!” screamed the enraged Naru as Keitaro smashed through the thin wall separating the living room from the inner courtyard.
 
“Naru, I…!” began Keitaro, picking himself up off the ground after caroming off a boulder.
 
“Child molester!” thundered Naru, rushing Keitaro again, fist raised. Keitaro raised his arms defensively as he cringed before his angry girlfriend.
 
“Enough!” came an authoritative voice, accompanied by a powerful Ki blast. Naru was knocked over like a leaf in a whirlwind, landing stunned a few feet from Keitaro. Tsuruko clicked her sword back into the wooden sheath. “My apologies, Hina-dono for drawing steel in your house when I am a guest,” bowed the taller samurai sister, “but I could not allow Keitaro-sama to be attacked for something he did not do.”
 
“Not at all,” waved Hina, dismissing it. “It has been a while since I last saw one of your clan use that technique so deftly,” she grinned. Kanako was already kneeling beside Keitaro, who was still wondering what had happened.
 
“Onii-chan, are you all right?” asked Kanako, running her hands along his body. That violent bitch! she thought angrily, casting a hard, deadly glare at Naru.
 
“I'm fine,” he said, standing. “Are you ok, Naru?” he asked his girlfriend, approaching her.
 
“What do you care?!” screeched Naru, swatting away his hand. Storming off, she was still cursing under her breath. Keitaro sighed.
 
“This is just what I didn't want,” he muttered. “Sorry, but I need to go talk to Naru,” he said to the group at large.
 
“Is that wise right now?” asked Tsuruko. “She seems to be somewhat angry,” noted the tall samurai girl. Keitaro nodded.
 
“She is, and it probably isn't wise, but I need to or it will only be worse tomorrow,” he said.
 
“Do what you have to do, grandson,” said Hina cryptically. Turning to Amalla, she smiled. “In the meantime, how about we talk more about your customs, Amalla?”
 
“I will go with you, Onii-chan,” said Kanako as Keitaro turned toward the living room. “To protect you from her violent ways,” she explained hastily. I will not have her hurting him again; nor will I have her drawing him back into her foul web!
 
“As his bride, it is my place to protect him,” Motoko spoke up. Kanako leveled a glare at the samurai girl.
 
“You are not his bride, Motoko,” hissed Kanako. “And I have seen all too well what you consider `protecting' him!”
 
“That..was before,” Motoko said, glancing at the grass at her feet.
 
“It wasn't you who stopped Naru from hitting him,” pointed out Kanako. Motoko's lips thinned.
 
“Nor was it you, Kanako,” retorted Motoko. The dark sister bared her teeth.
 
“That's because…!” began the girl angrily, only to catch sight of Haruka's steady gaze over Motoko's shoulder. Biting back the rest, Kanako turned back to Keitaro, her hand absently settling on his sternum as she hugged herself to his side.
 
“Motoko,” came Tsuruko's voice. Much like Kanako, Motoko had to bite back her retort, meekly turning and accompanying her big sister into the living room.
 
“Kanako,” came Hina's voice, “we could use some tea,” she ordered.
 
“But I…” began Kanako, only to have Keitaro pat her head.
 
“I'll be fine, Kana-chan,” he assured her, smiling at her. Kanako smiled back.
 
“While we're young, Kanako!” came the mirthful voice of Hina.
 
“Yes, granny,” said the girl obediently. Keitaro moved toward the living room in preparation to move up to Naru's room, just so happening to walk beside Kanako.
 
In the living room, Kanako saw that Hina had Shinobu's hand in her own, preventing the domestic girl from getting tea for the group. So, this is my punishment for daring to attempt to use the arts on Naru, the sister thought sourly. She had been halfway to Naru, her fist cocked back for a blow that would send the brunette into orbit, when Haruka had snatched her out of the air as easily as one would a Frisbee. Kanako had struggled to free herself from the grip of her cousin even as Tsuruko drew her sword and unleashed a minor Ki attack to stop Naru.
 
“I'll be right back,” said Keitaro, mounting the stairs.
 
“Are you sure…?” began Motoko, only to have Tsuruko touch her arm, silencing her.
 
“Mutsumi-chan, be a dear and go with Keitaro, hmm?” Hina said, holding Shinobu's hand firmly.
 
“Of course,” agreed Mutsumi easily. “I think Na-chan just needs to calm down a little,” she said, mostly to herself. She followed Keitaro up the stairs toward Naru's room. Kanako emerged from the kitchen with a tray of tea cups, pot of hot water, and tea. Haruka was patching the broken door panel that Keitaro had been propelled through, with some help from a silent Motoko.
 
“Kitsune-chan, be a dear and fetch some of that stuff I asked you to get earlier, would you?” Hina said, still holding on to Shinobu. The wizened old woman knew that if she let go of Shinobu's hand, the girl would be at Keitaro's side in a matter of moments. Sorry, Shinobu-chan, but that is too dangerous right now, she thought sadly.
 
Just then, the group heard some indecipherable screams, followed by a crash, come from upstairs. Motoko and Kanako were at the foot of the stairs before the sound of the impact faded. Before either could mount the stairs, the sound of angry, powerful footsteps could be heard, and moments later, Naru rounded the corner, her eyes on fire and teeth bared. Both Kanako and Motoko paused for a moment before parting to let her past. She had a pack on her shoulder. “I'm leaving,” hissed the girl tightly, not slowing her pace any.
 
“Naru! Wait!” came Keitaro's voice from the hall. Naru didn't even flinch, the front door slamming shut behind her. Keitaro slid to a stop at the top of the stairs, his glasses broken, wood fragments sticking to him, and a small trickle of blood running down his forehead from his hairline. The assembled people below were silent.
 
His shoulders slumped a little, Keitaro sighing before turning back down the hall. Trudging out of sight, he re-emerged a few minutes later with a wobbly Mutsumi. “Shinobu, please get the first aid kit,” he said quietly to the young girl, who slipped free of Hina's hand and vanished, reappearing nearly instantly with the kit. Keitaro helped Mutsumi sit on the couch before motioning Shinobu to check on the girl.
 
“But, Keitaro!” Shinobu began. Keitaro managed a smile for her.
 
“This?” he asked, absently wiping the blood off his forehead. “This is nothing, Shinobu-chan! You know that,” he said dismissively. “Check on Mutsumi; she caught a little of it this time,” said Keitaro firmly. Shinobu did as he asked, tending to the surprisingly minor injuries the girl had sustained. “I'm going to go get cleaned up,” he muttered, moving toward the manager's apartment.
 
“Keitaro…!” Kanako began, but Keitaro shook his head.
 
“Not now, Kana-chan,” he said quietly. The sister pressed her lips together, eyes narrow as Keitaro vanished from view. Silence reigned for several seconds before Kitsune broke it.
 
“Think we could use this,” she said, slightly shaking a bottle of sake.
 
“Yes, I think so,” agreed Mutsumi, Shinobu finished up her bandage job. Picking up the first aid kit, Shinobu moved toward Keitaro's room. As Kitsune started pouring cups of sake, Shinobu slipped down the hall. Arriving at Keitaro's door, she scratched softly on it.
 
“Keitaro?” she said softly. Hardly waiting for an answer, she slid the door open and entered, seeing Keitaro sitting - shirtless - on his futon, staring blankly at the wall. Silently, Shinobu knelt behind him, setting down the first aid kit and beginning to swab his shallow cuts.
 
“Ah!” he gasped as the gauze pad soaked in disinfectant touched him unexpectedly. “Oh, Shinobu,” he said, glancing at the girl.
 
“Yes, Keitaro?” she answered immediately. He shook his head.
 
“Nothing.”
 
Shinobu silently tended his injuries. “Naru-sempai will calm down and be back before you know it,” she said quietly minutes later, tending to the seeping cut in his hairline. “Just like always,” she murmured, frowning as she said it.
 
“Yeah,” muttered Keitaro. Shinobu was kneeling in front of him, working on his injury, which put her modest chest right in front of his eyes. Peeking down, she hoped that he would be looking at her breasts, but she wasn't surprised to see him staring at them blankly, clearly not seeing her charms. Well, he did just get hit by Naru-sempai, she thought. With the cut tended to, she debated with herself for a moment before carefully hugging his head to her chest.
 
“I…I'm sorry she hit you,” whispered the girl. Through her thin top, she could feel the heat from his face.
 
“It isn't your fault, Shinobu-chan,” came his muffled voice. Shinobu felt a fire ignite in her lower belly.
 
“Keitaro…” she began, whispering. Before she could even draw breath to continue, the door slid open and Haruka stepped in.
 
“There you two are,” said the woman, making no attempt to separate them. “We're having some drinks in the living room, and I came to get you,” she said, her eyes on the two. Keitaro put his hands on Shinobu's slim waist and eased her back, much to her disappointment.
 
“We'll be right there, Haruka,” he said, carefully going to his dresser and pulling out a spare pair of glasses. Haruka watched Shinobu carefully pack the first aid kit up. Moments later, the three emerged from Keitaro's room and returned to the living room. Seeing that one sake bottle was already empty, but plenty more were in evidence, Haruka steered Shinobu to a seat by Hina, putting the first aid kit away herself.
 
Shinobu didn't even get a chance to protest when Hina handed her a glass of sake, and after a moment's hesitation, she sipped it carefully. Mutsumi, Kitsune and Tsuruko were draining bottles like it was water, though experience had shown that all three had very high tolerances. Keitaro drank his sake slowly, nursing it along.
 
-
 
Three hours later, Amalla was sleeping with her sister in her room, Kanako was resting in her room, Shinobu had been tucked into her bed by Keitaro and Motoko before the younger Aoyama had turned in. Keitaro was in his room, though his light was still on. Sarah had gone down in the first half hour, and was fast asleep in her futon. Mutsumi and Kitsune were soaking in the hot tub, while Hina and the two elders of the Otohime family were talking in the gazebo.
 
On the roof of the inn, Haruka and Tsuruko were sipping sake, watching the stars. Not too far from them, Kuro and Shippu were resting, Tama with them. Shiro had taken a dip in the hot spring with the two residents, but since then had fallen asleep in the Su's room. The two former rivals were done drinking seriously, and were only slowly sipping their sake.
 
“Would you mind telling me something, Haruka?” asked Tsuruko.
 
“Maybe,” shrugged Haruka.
 
“What is the reason you and Kanako don't get along?”
 
“What makes you think we don't?” asked Haruka. Tsuruko snorted.
 
“Motoko told me about it after her first visit here,” said the samurai. “And I can feel you two bristle when you are near each other. Is it because you and she are rivals in the arts of the Urashimas?” guessed the Shinmei-ryu master.
 
“Do you consider Motoko a rival, Tsuruko?” asked Haruka calmly. Tsuruko frowned.
 
“Is that what I asked?”
 
“That's right,” replied Haruka. Tsuruko considered that as she sipped some sake.
 
“Set our history aside, as well as this matter we are currently faced with, Haruka,” she said ten minutes later, “what is it about you two that make you so disagreeable with each other?”
 
“Mm,” Haruka replied.
 
“If you like, I will give you my word that I will not speak of it to anyone else,” coaxed Tsuruko.
 
“Why do you care?” asked Haruka bluntly.
 
“Because I would like to know what myself and my sister face, should this matter be resolved,” Tsuruko said. “Family squabbles can turn deadly, you know,” reminded the other woman. Haruka was silent. “Is it because she is not of blood heritage to your line, but is an adept in the arts?” guessed Tsuruko.
 
“Few of our line who are of pure blood are adepts of the arts,” said Haruka. “But that has nothing to do with it. Nor is it because I am currently threatened by her skills,” added Haruka, guessing what Tsuruko's next try would be. “It is…personal,” said the woman.
 
“Hmm,” it was Tsuruko's turn to hum as a response.
 
“It has to do with Keitaro, doesn't it?”
 
Haruka turned to stare at Tsuruko. “So, I am right,” said the Aoyama woman.
 
“No, you're not,” dismissed Haruka. Her drinking partner shook her head.
 
“Yes, I am right, though I confess to being unsure how he fits in to this,” insisted the swordswoman.
 
A half hour passed before Haruka spoke. “She took something from me; something I desperately wanted, but could never have,” said Haruka. “Granny didn't take sides, but she also didn't let us settle this between ourselves, either,” she said, her lips grimacing. “Should have done it anyway,” muttered Haruka.
 
“Keitaro,” murmured Tsuruko. “I see,” she said more confidently. “You are blood related to him, but Kanako isn't, so you could never have the kind of relationship you wanted with him, while she could, am I right?” stated the long-haired woman. Haruka grunted.
 
“How dangerous is she, Haruka?” wondered Tsuruko several minutes later. “I saw you snatch her out of the air down there, by the way - very nice,” added the other woman.
 
“Kanako will - probably - surpass me one day,” shrugged Haruka, “but for now, I am in no real danger from her.” Only from granny Hina, she left unsaid. “And Motoko?” she changed the focus of their drinking talk.
 
“Motoko is already a fit successor to the Shinmei-ryu school,” said Tsuruko. “If she gets her heart and soul in tune, I will have no chance of beating her,” said the woman. Which means if she gets her act together, you will be at risk, Haruka, the woman thought, but did not say. “You know,” she went on contemplatively, “since coming here, she has improved at a rate I can hardly believe; more so in the last year.”
 
“I guess,” said Haruka. In truth, Haruka had been keeping close tabs on Motoko's progress, though she didn't show it. A skilled Aoyama swordswoman in the house of the Urashima is not something you can just ignore, she mused. “Things have changed a lot since Keitaro arrived,” she thought out loud.
 
“He is a unique man,” Tsuruko replied. Haruka turned her head to look at the other woman.
 
“Are you serious, Tsuruko? About offering yourself as wife?”
 
“Yes, I am,” replied Tsuruko.
 
“What about your husband?” asked Haruka. Tsuruko pursed her lips.
 
“What about him, indeed,” she whispered.
 
-
 
Angrily wiping the corner of her eye, Naru hurried up the three steps to the small home in the suburbs of Tokyo. Reaching the door, she knocked on it harder than she intended. Calm down, Naru, she told herself, sucking in a deep breath. Absently, she hiked the small pack back up on her shoulder. “Come on,” she muttered, knocking again, though with more control than before.
 
“Nani?” came a voice as the door opened a crack. “Who is…Nee-chan?”
 
“Hi, Mei,” Naru confirmed, managing a small smile. Mei closed the door long enough to free the stay-chain, then opened it all the way.
 
“Naru, please come in,” said the step-sister. Stepping past the shorter Mei, Naru absently patted her head. Not unlike I do with Shinobu, came an errant thought. “What brings you here at this time of night?” wondered Mei, securing the door again. Moving after her older sister, she saw Naru drop her pack on the floor before dropping herself onto the couch.
 
“Nothing, really,” came the reply, “I just…thought I should visit,” she finished lamely. Mei could clearly tell that Naru was lying.
 
“I see,” she said. “Can I…get you something to drink? Or eat?” asked the younger.
 
“No, I...” Naru paused, “actually, Mei-chan, is there a beer handy?” she wondered. Not like I'm entirely sober, but… she forced the thought aside. Mei studied the taller woman for a moment before moving into the kitchen.
 
“Yeah, there should be,” she said, returning a moment later with a golden-colored can. Naru cracked the top and drained half of it in one pull. Sighing, Naru set it aside, letting her head rest against the top of the couch. Frowning, she realized that no one other than Mei had come to see who was pounding on the door so late at night.
 
“Where are mom and dad?” she asked.
 
“They are overseas on a second honeymoon,” Mei said, sitting in a chair near the couch. “They told you they were going a month ago,” she reminded Naru. Naru grunted, trying to recall the specifics of what they had said about the trip. Not immediately recalling, she cheated.
 
“How long are they going to be away for, Mei-chan?”
 
“They left three days ago, and won't be back for two weeks,” supplied the shorter sister, her eyes on Naru, clearly trying to figure out what was going on with the sudden visit. “I have their contact numbers if you need to…” began the rusty-brunette, only to have Naru flip her hand dismissively.
 
“No, no,” she said, “nothing like that.” Reaching out a hand, she finished the beer off. “Another one?” she asked, shaking the can. Mei slowly got up and moved to the kitchen, returning with a fresh can before disposing the empty.
 
“Naru, what's wrong?” she asked again. Without stopping her drinking, Naru shook her head.
 
“It's nothing, Mei-chan,” she said, setting the can aside. “So, what's going on with you lately?” the Todai student forced the topic change. Mei shrugged.
 
“Nothing special,” she replied, “just finishing up packing and last minute details.”
 
“Packing?” blinked Naru. “You going somewhere?”
 
Mei kept her eyes on Naru as she nodded. “Boarding school, remember?” she said. “It's not that far from here, really, but we decided that it would be better for me to live on campus while I am there,” said the girl. “I told you about it a few weeks ago, nee-chan,” reminded Mei. Vaguely, Naru recalled something about Mei having been accepted to some large private school campus a ways off from Tokyo. What was the name? Mahiro? Matsushira? M-something anyway, she pushed the issue aside.
 
“Didn't you just get back from another boarding school?” Naru tried to recall.
 
“Yes, I got back last year from two years in America,” Mei confirmed.
 
“Oh. So, when are you going to be moving?” asked Naru, eyeing her sister.
 
“First of next week,” shrugged Mei. “I will be in classes by the time that mom and dad get back; besides, I am old enough to take care of myself now,” she added. Naru smiled.
 
“I can see that,” she said. Mei watched Naru. “What is it, Mei-chan? Something on my face?” wondered Naru.
 
“No, not at all,” denied Mei, “but something is bothering you, sis,” she accused, “or you wouldn't be here at this time of night, smelling of alcohol and nearly in tears,” noted the girl. Naru scowled.
 
“It's nothing, Mei,” she replied pugnaciously. Mei said nothing. Catching sight of the clock, Naru blinked. “Like you said,” she said, managing to stand, “it's late. Let's talk in the morning, Mei-chan,” said Naru, managing to pick up her small pack without stumbling as she moved to the stairs that led to the bedrooms.
 
“Naru,” Mei said, rising from her chair, “I think you should know that your old bedroom was turned into a study,” she warned Naru. The brunette stopped, half way up the stairs.
 
“Why?” she demanded, a bit sharper than she had intended.
 
“Because we all thought you had decided to live at the Hinata with your boyfriend,” Mei began.
 
“Don't start with me, Mei!” screamed Naru, spinning to glare at her sister, fist clenched. “If you say that two-timing pervert's name, I'll punch you into the next prefecture!” Mei froze, never having seen Naru like this.
 
“N…nee-chan?” asked the girl, gulping nervously. She could feel the rage in Naru, and it scared her.
 
“That pedo perv, forcing Su to marry him and stringing along Motoko and his sister! And god only knows what he did to make Mutsumi take his side!” she raged angrily, unable to see through the tears flowing down her face. “I ought to go back there and punch him until he learns his lesson, the…agh!”
 
Naru's angry diatribe was cut off when her foot slipped on the edge of the stairs, throwing her off balance. With her emotional state being what it was, and the alcohol in her system hindering her reaction and motor control, she toppled forward and to the side, slamming into Mei like a boulder. The two ended up in a heap at the bottom of the stairs, Naru knocked out cold by a glancing blow to the head from the banister, while Mei was in a fair amount of pain from being bruised and battered as she inadvertently served as a cushion for her sister. Naru was piled up on top of her, her weight pushing the breath from her.
 
Hissing in pain, Mei managed to get out from under Naru. Feeling the aches and pains from her abused body, she managed to stand after checking Naru. Deciding that nothing serious was hurt, she debated what her next move would be. After experimentally trying to lift Naru up, she decided that getting her big sister up the steps without assistance would be impossible, so she worked Naru over to the couch, getting her situated there before covering her with a blanket. Wincing, she turned off the lights and made her way up the stairs to her own bedroom.
 
Lying in bed, the younger sister wondered what had happened to bring this about. It has to do with her boyfriend, that much is clear, she thought, waiting to fall asleep. She had met Keitaro Urashima a few times, and he didn't strike her as the kind of man to lead women on, or take advantage of them, or even to stand up to them. From what I have seen, he is less a manager of that place and more a cabana boy! she thought, smiling a little. As with Keitaro, she had meet the other girls a few times, and knew who was who in a general way.
 
“Can't see that happening,” she muttered to herself, thinking back to Naru's accusations about Keitaro forcing Su to marry him while simultaneously stringing Motoko and Mutsumi along. Well, ok, maybe he could string Mutsumi along; she is pretty pliable, allowed Mei, but Motoko? I can't see that, either! The tall, strong swordswoman had shown Mei enough of the family style to convince the younger sister of Naru that no one would dare mess with her and live.
 
As she yawned, suddenly tired as the adrenalin wore off, she made a mental note to call the Hinata and find out what was going on. Better make sure that Naru doesn't see me, though, she added, recalling the terrifying spectacle on the steps. Would she have really hit me? wondered Mei. Uncomfortably, she came to the conclusion that yes, Naru would have hit her.
 
-
 
Shinobu grimaced as she fumbled for her bath robe. Good thing today isn't a school day, thought the girl, her head throbbing. Feeling the thin, sheer cotton robe she had bought a few months before, she slipped into it, smiling. While the girls generally used towels, she had opted to shift to a thin robe on the off-chance that Keitaro might see her in it after a bath. One of the key points in her choosing the robe was that when it was wet, it was nearly transparent.
 
Smiling happily, Shinobu loosely tied the sash and picked up her bath basket. Exiting her room, she made her way down to the bath. The robe had originally come to her knees when she bought it, but a little time with her sewing machine, and it now rested mid-thigh on her. Passing Keitaro's room, she paused, gently knocking on it. “Keitaro?” she called out softly. After a moment, she eased the door open. “Keitaro, I'm coming in,” she added, looking inside his room.
 
The futon was still made, which meant that he had fallen asleep at his table. From the scattered materials on top of it the low table, she knew that was exactly what had happened. Spotting a pile of discarded clothes, she made a mental note to collect his laundry after her bath. With Keitaro missing, there was little to hold her interest, so she closed the door and hurried toward the bath.
 
In the small changing room, she spotted Kitsune's chemise in a basket, Motoko's hakama, gi, panties and chest wrap in a basket, next to another basket with similar clothes in it. Tsuruko is here, too, she thought, slipping off her robe and neatly folding it into a small basket. As was her habit, she had taken off her panties in her room, so she was naked with the removal of the robe. Pulling a fresh, clean towel for the stack she kept next to the basket cubes, she turned for the inner door that led to the hot springs.
 
“Morning, meow!” came a playfully voice, accompanied by the soft tinkling of a bell.
 
“Eep!” Shinobu exclaimed, caught off guard by Kuro. “You startled me, Kuro,” she scolded the black cat, reaching out to gently scratch along the jaw of the familiar of Kanako Urashima. A rich, happy purr was her reward.
 
“Feeling ok, meow?” asked the cat after Shinobu had withdrawn her hand.
 
“Yes, though my head hurts a little,” Shinobu admitted, seeing Kuro silently jump from the counter to the floor before heading for the door to the springs.
 
“You will feel better after a soak and breakfast,” came a voice from behind Shinobu. The small domestic didn't need to look to know that it was Kanako herself.
 
“Good morning, Kanako,” said Shinobu.
 
“Maehara,” replied the sister. Shinobu's lips thinned slightly at the tone, but she let it go for the moment. Opening the door to the springs, she stepped through, Kanako literally half a step behind her.
 
“Well, good morning, you two,” came Kitsune's voice. The resident slacker was soaking in the hot spring, a small bottle of sake next to her. Not far from her, the Aoyama sisters were soaking. A little farther on from the sisters was Mutsumi.
 
“Good morning, Kitsune-sempai, Motoko-sempai, Tsuruko-sempai, Mutsumi-sempai,” Shinobu replied. Kanako didn't say anything, though she did deign to nod to the group at large. The two newcomers swiftly rinsed and washed, then joined the group in the spring. Kitsune sidled over to Shinobu, offering her a small cup of sake.
 
“This will help you feel better,” said the stacked woman. Shinobu raised her hands.
 
“Uh, thanks, but I think I had enough last night,” she said weakly. I think several people had enough last night, she left unsaid. Kitsune shrugged, tossing back the small pool of sake. “Mutsumi-sempai, I didn't expect to see you here, since there wasn't a basket with your clothes in it in the changing room,” she noted.
 
“I didn't bring any,” shrugged Mutsumi casually. “Since I am staying in Na-chan's room, it's a short trip to the hot springs,” she explained as if that were a rational, logical way of thinking.
 
“I'm guessing that Su, Sarah and Amalla are all still out?” grinned Kitsune.
 
“My sister is, but I am not,” came a voice from the changing room door. Turning, they saw Amalla and Shiro enter the bathing area. “Good morning,” she said to the group. After a spray-down from the hose, Shiro slid into the bath, floating motionless in the center of the hot spring. Amalla washed off, then rinsed before joining the others in the spring. “Ah! This is nice,” sighed Amalla happily.
 
“Has anyone seen Keitaro this morning?” asked Shinobu, looking to Kanako first before making eye contact with the others. Headshakes all around were her answer. Shinobu frowned.
 
“Relax, Shinobu,” said Kitsune, “he usually mopes a bit after Naru clocks him one,” she said. “He'll be fine before you know it,” she added.
 
“She shouldn't have hit him at all!” snapped Shinobu, before blushing and apologizing. For the usually mild-mannered Shinobu to explode like that surprised the others. “Naru-sempai had no reason to hit him,” she said more calmly.
 
“She is just a violent bitch,” came Kanako's contribution. “If I were in Onii-chan's place, she would have been gone the first time she tried to hit me,” she said, her eyes dark and cold.
 
“Seems to me you had the same plan in mind last night,” Kitsune spoke up in defense of her friend. “Looked like you were planning to hit Naru before Haruka-san grabbed you,” she goaded the dark sister of Keitaro.
 
Kanako smiled thinly; and it wasn't a pleasant smile. “Had Haruka not interfered, Naru would have learned what it was like for Onii-chan.”
 
“Your eyes are sharper than you lead people to believe,” noted Tsuruko. I had thought that only myself and Motoko had caught that, she made mental notes. “However, had you connected with Naru with the amount of power in your punch, you would have killed her, Kanako,” said the elder sister, directing her remarks to the younger Urashima sibling.
 
“Perhaps, perhaps not,” said Kanako, glancing away. It was clear that such a possibility didn't really bother Kanako. Interesting, thought Tsuruko, I get the idea that Kanako isn't convinced that her blow would have finished Naru off. Why is that? wondered the elder Aoyama.
 
“Speaking of Narusegawa,” said Motoko, “does anyone know if she understands what is happening?”
 
“Does it matter?” retorted Kanako. “She couldn't commit before, and there is no reason to think she can now. With the revelation of the scroll, and with Su's trickery, there is little left that concerns her. She should accept that she has lost her opportunity and stand aside.”
 
“Would you stand aside?” challenged Motoko.
 
“I have stood aside, Motoko,” hissed Kanako, fixing a hard gaze on the younger swordswoman. “All of us have stood aside for Narusegawa in the past five years, and what has she done? Nothing!”
 
“But, Keitaro still loves her,” came the soft voice of Shinobu.
 
“Does he?” asked Tsuruko. “I suppose he does, though I do not know that he loves her as he used to love her,” opinioned the elder Aoyama. “And it is clear that he has forged bonds with all the girls here,” pointed out Tsuruko.
 
“Na-chan is a promise girl, though,” noted Mutsumi. “Kei-kun has always held his promises very dearly, hasn't he?” she asked the group. All the resident girls thought back over the years.
 
“Yes, the `promise girl',” mused Tsuruko. “It has been told to me that the promise he made with Naru was to get into Tokyo University, is that correct?” Several of the girls nodded. “Then, as she and he are both attending Todai, that promise has been kept.”
 
“Thus negating her status as a promise girl,” murmured Kanako, her eyes narrowed in thought. Onii-chan promised me something as well, she recalled.
 
“But Naru is still his girlfriend, isn't she?” asked Kitsune. The group considered that.
 
“Keitaro told her how he felt, but she never answered,” said Motoko. Shinobu was thinking of something else.
 
“Pararakelse island,” murmured Shinobu.
 
“What?” wondered Kitsune. Shinobu shook her head.
 
“Nothing,” she denied. I told her that if she didn't commit, I would take him from her, she recalled. But even then, she couldn't bring herself to admit her feelings.
 
“In any event, Keitaro considers her his girlfriend, right? So rather or not she thinks that way, he does,” Kitsune reasoned. The other girls considered that.
 
“That could be true,” allowed Tsuruko. “However, his feeling might change with the changing circumstances,” she pointed out. “Also, it is possible that whatever is between he and Naru has been destroyed by recent events.”
 
“Which, of course, have nothing to do with you two, hmm?” sniped Kitsune.
 
“No more than with Mutsumi and now Koalla,” replied Tsuruko calmly. To say nothing of Kanako and Haruka, she thought, reflecting on what she had learned the night before.
 
“Better options, is that it?” Amalla spoke up.
 
“I don't know that it's necessarily better…” began Kitsune.
 
“I gather, from what I saw last night, that such attacks on Keitaro are common?” pressed Amalla.
 
“Well…”
 
“Too common,” Shinobu said firmly.
 
“Naru and Motoko have a history of unwarranted attacks on Onii-chan,” Kanako supported Shinobu's pronouncement.
 
“It's not that bad,” began Motoko, only to be silenced by twin glares from Shinobu and Kanako.
 
“Yes, it is!” insisted Shinobu. “You have not done it as much in the last year, but for years before that, you and Naru-sempai took turns attacking him without reason!” she insisted.
 
“But! I haven't raised blade against him in more than a year!” protested Motoko, blushing.
 
“Interesting,” murmured Tsuruko, giving her sister a sly look.
 
“True,” agreed Shinobu, “but before that? How many times have you attacked him for accidents? And how many times have you accused him of being a pervert? Do you know that your three groupies have been spreading those lies all over the schools? I even have to hear them in my school!” she yelled angrily. “Keitaro is not a pervert!” she yelled.
 
Before the group could react, a dull choomp! sounded over the bath area, accompanied by a trailing cry. Blinking, the group turned to look over the fence area, back toward the small balcony where Keitaro had his one-person wooden barrel tub. A huge bank of steam obscured the area, with a trail of it arching upward. Looking up, the women saw a form falling toward the hot spring, a drawn-out `aahh!' trailing along.
 
“Is that…?” began Kitsune, only to be interrupted by the dark form impacting the center of the hot spring, just barely missing Shiro and sending a wave of water over the assembled girls to flood over the stone surrounding the hot spring. Even as the girls recovered, they saw a head break the surface of the water.
 
“Gah!” gasped Keitaro. “What the hell…?” he began, only to freeze. His finely-honed sense of danger was ringing like a ten-alarm fire bell. I just had to land in the bath! he thought, slowly easing toward the edge of the spring. And there are girls in here, too! he realized. Without his glasses, he couldn't see them clearly, but long experience told him that one was definitely Motoko, another had to be Mutsumi from the size of her chest, and unless he was severely mistaken, the small form nearest to him was Shinobu. Probably Kanako-chan near to Shinobu, he guessed. Which means that the other tall form has to be Tsuruko. Great! New high score, Keitaro! You've managed to not only interrupt Motoko's bath, but her sister's as well! I can only hope I land somewhere remote enough to give me a head start! he thought, panicked.
 
“Sorry!” he called out, spinning and lunging for the safety of the inn. He hadn't noticed the fifteen-foot, one-ton albino crocodile between him and the changing room. Even if he had, it is unlikely that it would have deterred him any; after all, what was more dangerous: a crocodile or an angry Shinmei-ryu swordswoman? Trying to bolt over Shiro, however, proved problematic even when the crocodile wasn't trying to attack him or stop him.
 
His foot caught on Shiro's foreleg, causing him to land on Shiro's back. While certainly not in any danger of being hurt by the collision, Shiro didn't appreciate having his bath interrupted, and rolled once to dislodge Keitaro. The torque of a one-ton mass rolling fed Keitaro into the side of the wall like a pile driver, Keitaro's body being jacked up and over the lip by the force of Shiro's roll. Thus, Keitaro landed in a heap, stunned, at the edge of the hot spring.
 
“Keitaro!” exclaimed Shinobu, agilely scampering over Shiro as if he were nothing more than a step to kneel next to Keitaro. “Are you ok?! Keitaro!” she called out, carefully pulling his head to her lap. Mutsumi knelt next to her, swiftly checking Keitaro over.
 
“He will be ok, Shinobu,” assured the busty Okinawan girl. Shinobu cradled his head. Motoko and Tsuruko climbed out to inspect the damage, followed by Kitsune and Amalla. Gathering around him, the girls eyed Keitaro.
 
Apparently, he had been preparing for a bath, since he was naked. Other than the normal superficial injuries, he seemed fine. Looking him over, the girls realized that Keitaro had changed over the years. “Not bad,” said Amalla, eyeing his physique. “He does bear a striking resemblance to Lamba; even down there,” she grinned, eyeing Keitaro's groin.
 
“Amalla-sempai!” squeaked Shinobu. The older Su sister shrugged.
 
“What? It's true, after all,” she defended her remarks. “Koalla certainly chose well,” she added critically.
 
“Indeed,” agreed Tsuruko, eyes also on Keitaro's manhood. “Keitaro-sama is well-equipped.”
 
“Tsuruko-nee!” Motoko managed, beet red.
 
“What?” asked Tsuruko innocently.
 
“You compare him to your husband?” came Kanako's dark voice. Tsuruko lifted her gaze to meet Kanako's gaze.
 
“I do, in fact,” said Tsuruko. “As I am the eldest Aoyama, I am a candidate for Keitaro-sama's wife, as is Motoko as the heir of the Shinmei-ryu school, after all.”
 
“I think Keitaro might be slightly larger than Lamba,” interjected Amalla thoughtfully, “and it looks like his is noticeably thicker, as well,” she added, squatting to get a closer look. “His balls are certainly larger,” she smiled to herself, absently licking her lips.
 
“He appears to be of a length with my husband, though it is difficult to tell with him relaxed,” Tsuruko said casually. “Were he erect, it would be easier to tell for certain, though I suspect that he will prove thicker of shaft and wider of crown.” Beside her, Motoko was blushing to her breasts, though her eyes never left Keitaro's groin.
 
“I've seen bigger,” shrugged Mitsune, “but not many,” grinned the fox.
 
“Kitsune-sempai!” Shinobu gasped.
 
“Kei-kun's is perfect for me,” Mutsumi offered, reaching out to touch the penis in question. Kanako grabbed Mutsumi's wrist before she could reach her goal, a low growl in her throat. “Yes, Kanako-chan?” asked the large-breasted girl calmly.
 
“If anyone is going to…!” began Kanako, only to be interrupted by a voice from the side of the group.
 
“Oh, there you are, Keitaro,” came Haruka's voice. As one, the women turned to see Haruka in the door to the changing room. Unlike her normal outfit of slacks, tee-shirt and an apron, Haruka wore a pair of shorts and a spaghetti-strap tank top. “I meant to tell you that the pressure valve on the tub might need to be replaced, but I guess it isn't an issue now, is it?” she said, approaching the group. Seeing that Keitaro was out cold, she bent down and pinched his nose. “Wakey, wakey cousin,” she murmured, noticing the possessive way that Shinobu caressed his head as it rested on her lap. Good move, Shinobu-chan, she silently praised the girl.
 
After a moment, Keitaro began to thrash around, and Haruka removed her hand. A few moments passed before he opened his eyes. “Aun…uh, Haruka?” he managed, identifying the form before him.
 
“Good guess,” said the woman, straightening. “Come on; we need to talk, Keitaro,” said the woman. Keitaro blinked.
 
“Um, ok,” he said, straightening up. I think I'm forgetting something, he thought uneasily.
 
“Keitaro?” asked a concerned voice from behind him. Turning, he saw Shinobu looking up at him, dressed only in wet hair. His eyes flew wide open.
 
“S…sorry!” he gasp, scrambling around as he tried to get out before he got clobbered by one or another of the girls. I forgot I landed in the bath! he thought, a tickle of terror running through him. Bolting for the door, he found himself caught by a pair of arms.
 
“Nothing to worry about, Keitaro,” said Haruka calmly, glancing back to scan the group of girls. “Right?” she said firmly.
 
“Of course,” replied Tsuruko, smiling. “This was just an accident, after all,” she said. “I think I will return to my bath,” she added casually, moving back to the hot spring and settling in.
 
“Um, me, too,” agreed Motoko, moving after her sister. Shinobu eyed Haruka and Keitaro, but after meeting Haruka's gaze, she returned to the bath with Kitsune. Amalla thoughtfully followed the two, leaving only Kanako. Seeing the younger sister move toward her, Haruka shook her head.
 
“Just Keitaro, Kanako,” said Haruka quietly. Kanako's fists balled for a moment, but then the girl spun on her heel and marched back to the spring. Haruka hadn't let Keitaro go the whole time, but with the situation taken care of, she turned her attention back to Keitaro. The young man was covering his groin with his hands, though Haruka noticed that he had gotten an erection. Well, I see there is hope for you yet, Keitaro, she thought, relieved.
 
“H…Haruka?” he began. She hummed.
 
“We'll stop by your room and let you get some clothes then we have to go to the tea house to speak with Granny,” said the woman, releasing her hold on him, but leaving her arm around his shoulder as she guided him to his room.