Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ MOVING FORWARD ❯ CHAPTER X ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

DISCLAIMER - I do not own Love Hina or any other anime characters portrayed in this story. I only own my ideas and plot. This is a work of fiction, to be deemed as such.

AUTHOR'S NOTES - Check my profile

SPECIAL THANKS - To all my readers, still following this story. I know the delays are big, but again I am trying to deliver the best possible story, in respect to all reading my humble fanfiction.

MOVING FORWARD
BY
VOIDHAWK
Chapter X

Present
Streets of Kyoto - Under heavy rain, at night.
Motoko feels the rain pouring over her. She feels strange. Instead of feeling well for protecting a friend, she felt hollow. A kind of void was inside her, as if something was broken in her very soul.
She tries to dismiss this feeling, blaming the very night around her; the rain; the reminders of past things.
She is being dragged by a deranged Narusegawa, but that somehow is a relief, for she was not sure of which way to take.
They are running, the blonde one towing Motoko all the time humming and mumbling to herself. She sometimes curses aloud. Her face could not be seen clearly by the young Aoyama, as the heavy rain veils her vision. They are running now towards the Inn that they have booked at the moment they arrived in Kyoto.
The Aoyama Family's beloved Kyoto. Harbor of so many happy memories, as well as very painful ones.
Does Naru Sempai know our way?
Motoko feels lost, alone, even though Narusegawa is with her. Even though she is on her city of birth. Somehow she feels displaced, as if for some reason she does not belong to the city she loves. A city she was away for some time now.
She looks at her surroundings, but the rain veiled her vision, drowning the light from the streetlamps above. She felt cold, oh so very cold. Few things make the proud young swordswoman feeling helpless, even afraid. But the rain was consuming her. She looks above, rivulets streaming down her face. Haunted eyes trying to look at the night sky above her. Such night evoked strong memories from Motoko's past, and added an ominous feeling to her here and now.
It is just like that damned night 5 years ago… She lowers her head, shutting her eyes, letting Narusegawa guide her way. But this time Tsuruko is not at my side…I am not helpless, a burden needing protection, hindering others! I was able to help a friend. I was protecting someone!
Even though such are her thoughts now, she is still cold inside. The hollow sensation lingering.
She feels the heavy, somehow wrong weight of her katana on her left hand.
Deep inside her mind she feels an eerie wail. Sad and distant, she does not know if that is the memory of years ago brought over by the rain, or something else. It was consuming her slowly, like the rain falling over her, cold seeping through her clothes, reaching her. Both body and soul.
She tries to look at Narusegawa who is dragging her through the rain, when the blonde one stops as if to take some breath. The air is damp and thick, providing no real respite. Narusegawa looks towards Motoko, after a few gasping sounds, never letting their hands disconnect.
“Let's go Motoko! This weather will make us get a cold…we better hurry back to our room” She tries to clear her eyes with her free hand, in an angry movement. “Even this is Keitaro's fault! I am glad he got a good one this time!”
She looks up, removing wet strands from her face while talking to Motoko, then she starts running again, keeping a cold vise grasping Motoko's right hand.
Motoko, with a chill running her spine, notices Narusegawa's features during this little pause. The streetlamps where enough this time to provide a fleeting glimpse of her friend's face. Motoko's senses where still on overdrive and she could notice Narusegawa's cold eyes. She also notices more on her friend's face.
She was unhurt…the blood Motoko saw before, washed away by the thick rain falling over them.
Washed away…
Motoko's brain tries to process what was happening, and the cold sensation inside her deepens, as the wailing grows louder in the back of her troubled mind.
The rain continuously pours over the two women running through the night.
After treading through the damp streets they reach their destination, after many turns and falls due the rain and their own hurried pace. They hastily climb upstairs to their room, closing the door behind them. Looking at each other, Narusegawa sighs deeply, hungrily, as if she was holding her breath since the moment they left the hotel where they have exacted their justice, dispensing a necessary lesson to a faulty, unworthy and evil person.
Or so thought Motoko at that moment, a moment which seemed ages ago.
Narusegawa did not stare at Motoko's eyes, going fast to the bathroom instead.
Motoko waits. She was just able to look Narusegawa's eyes briefly while the blonde goes to the bathroom. Motoko never saw her friend's eyes in such a way. She was like a different person, not giving away her inner self. Motoko felt strangely uneasy, as if something was nagging her mind. Something in the fringe of her perceptions was bugging her.
She observes her friend after she leaves the bathroom, wearing only a towel wrapped over her body.
Something was wrong...amiss.
Motoko's senses, so sharp when she entered Keitaro's room a while back, were a bit dulled now. She tries to focus her own mind, and she feels something wrong. She blinks fast, her mind going into a swirl of thoughts. An unpleasant sensation starting to make itself appear at the pit of her stomach.
“My my, Motoko Chan, that rain was really awful, don't you think?” Narusegawa sits in one of the two beds in their room. “To imagine we had to go all the way to this place under it.” She unwraps the towel at her head, making her damp hair fall over her shoulders.
“We might say it is HIS fault as well, yes!” She dries her hair vigorously. “Serves him well being somewhere under it now!” She looks at Motoko. “But please, go undress and dry yourself. If you want please go straight to the shower. I can wait, now that I have taken off my wet clothing”
She carries on absently drying her hair, as if they were on a vacation trip. Her voice was calm and collected, but the venom over the little comment about Urashima Keitaro was something almost palpable.
She looks at Motoko, quizzically.
“Motoko Chan, are you still bothered by our exit back there?” She cocks her head sideways, eyes sharp now, but with something absent there. “I told you, people would misinterpret things. That damned Keitaro has a way of swaying people to his side, you know that.” She sighs, looking to the ceiling. “Remember these last days. What I told you and you yourself became aware after our talk. You know I am right.” She looks back at Motoko, standing in the middle of the room. “Better we left that place quickly. Knowing that moron, he must be ok by now...that freak!” She carries drying her hair. “Go take off those wet clothing, and take a bath, you will feel quite well!”
She talks casually, as if nothing had happened. Nothing.
Motoko looks to Narusegawa's face, forcing herself to focus her now really confused ideas.
She is unhurt...her face...nothing...there is not a single spot on her face!
Trembling, in dismay, Motoko turns her back to her friend.
Nor on her exposed arms or legs...not a single dark spot. Only some scrap markings on her knuckles…like she broke something with them…
Motoko moves to the bathroom, closing the door behind her, eyes far away. A chilly sensation running down her spine.
Closing her eyes, she tries to recall what happened not so long ago, back at Keitaro's hotel.
She told me he was beating her. I saw him with something on his hand. She tries to access the memory of the moments before she took action.
Her trembling quickening now.
His face...I remember blood there. But I dismissed it, didn't I? She remembers when she saw them. Narusegawa's clothing smeared with blood as well as her face. She was on the ground in front of Urashima Keitaro, while he was shouting at her. When Narusegawa saw Motoko, she started yelling that he was beating her. She remembers noticing the lines of a dark aura swirling around him at that moment.
Not just a pervert, but wielding a dark aura, Urashima Keitaro was hurting her friend.
That would not do!
And the drawing...the drawing she saw on the table at his room. She recognized the person depicted there. Urashima was many things, among them a very skilled aspirant to manga ka.
She recognized easily the face depicted in his drawing.
It infuriated Motoko into a blind rage.
She remembers vaguely his face. She was so infuriated that she did dismiss then his bloodied face, his hand covering his left eye. He looked at her demanding to know what the meaning of it all was, why were they doing it all. Keitaro tried to say something else, his visible eye full of sadness and confusion on her memory now. She really never listened. The dark aura was tight about him, like an armor suit. He seemed hurt, but still standing. She could notice the very own aura keeping him up. Like a demon! It was stronger, clear to her senses while he tried to talk to her.
Motoko was so angry that she never really listened anything. She only heard Narusegawa's enraged voice telling her that Keitaro hurt her, that he was beating her. Narusegawa said that he was lying to Motoko, trying to deceive her as he did with everyone else.
The tall, raven young girl actually wanted a reason to strike, to vent her anger.
Motoko snapped . Too much, too soon. Narusegawa, everything she told her before, was true then.
Keitaro was evil. Manipulating. Deceitful. A coward and possessing some dark Ki around him.
She could see the dark aura around him, intense. She knew he was hurt, badly, but the bloodied Narusegawa's clothing and face told her enough, making her ignore her own perception now. This was not the Urashima Keitaro she thought she knew. This person was beating her friend. And the dark aura, she never saw something like that. She was not versed on the arts of her school yet, but that could only mean something evil. It was at the same time swirling around him and sustaining him, cracking and swirling. In her pride, she knew enough. She did not have time to waste. A Demon should be dealt with swiftly. Even if she could not perceive aggression, what else such dark thing could mean?
She was sharp enough to notice he was badly hurt, thus how could he be even standing now? What else could explain it but the fact he was using demonic powers.
On her mind, the dark energy seen around him was enough. That dark aura could not be anything else but a malignant kind of ability, she decided quickly, even not having studied Ki perception at her dojo yet. She dedicated herself to old sword techniques and crude Ki uses alongside a blade, never going through the more sophisticated studies her family had at the Dojo. Her disagreement with their ways not allowing such. What else could she do, as she felt the ways of her family the reason of what shaked their lives years ago.
She acted fast, and Shisui flew high. This time it was not a simple Ki attack. She swung the very blade towards Keitaro, as she thought that the swirling aura could block a simple ki attack. Fearing to strike with not enough strength to fell Urashima in his present state, she fuels her attack as best she could, even not being a real master wielding her Ki. Her senses told her his Ki was strong, but this dark thing, being out of her expertise, made her decide to act without true planning in her haste to save and avenge her offended friend.
She thought she knew enough, and acted upon her impressions rather than perceptions at that very moment.
Her mistake.
The will to do good is not enough sometimes to really act correctly, especially when someone tries to make use of something without really understanding it.
Motoko's training on Ki was pitifully insufficient, even being so gifted, as an Aoyama.
Her pride and eagerness to act once again leading her actions without time to understand what was really happening. Her will to be strong making her ignore her intuitions.
A lesson the Aoyama Family learned a long time ago was that a powerful gift comes with the responsibility of learning and understanding, to avoid misunderstandings, or else incur in risk of great misfortune.
Motoko's own stubbornness and her time away from her family made her also become ignorant of how to proper use her own abilities...
Her will to overcome her (self perceived) weakness making her act hastily…
The swirling aura never even hindered the movement of her blade. She felt when it did slash at Keitaro, piercing his flesh and bone.
At the same time, the Ki imparted to the blade explodes as well, sending him flying into the woods and the dark under the falling rain. The very fall could prove very hurtful even knowing the fabled recovering abilities of Urashima Keitaro.
He was already badly hurt.
Another proof of his evil Ki in Motoko's eyes now.
At this moment the raining ever since they arrived, as if in cue to it all, started to fall angrier and heavier. She felt a kind of jolt through the hilt of her katana, but Narusegawa grabbed her hand and pulled her, yelling that they should go. She asked to stay and call the police, as the boy was attacking her. Narusegawa, deranged, pleaded her to go, as it could be misinterpreted by others. Motoko was using a blade, and Narusegawa saw when Keitaro was slashed by her.
They would file a complain later.
So they ran…
And now here was Motoko, locked in a bathroom in a hotel in her city of birth, after running from the scene where she struck someone she lived with for more than a year.
Actually tearing his very flash with her blade.
But Naruseagawa's face and what she saw of her body now bit her. She was unhurt and acting as if nothing happened.
How could this be?
The only thing Motoko saw were her knuckles…scrapped. Only her knuckles were hurt.
Her fabled, punching knuckles. And Motoko did recognize that Narusegawa was able to use crude Ki when she was angry.
Keitaro was trying to say something to Motoko…but her mind was hard to focus now.
Motoko leans to the wall, her eyes clouded, and her body trembling. She looks at her hand, to the scabbard of her beloved Shisui. Its blade was always a comforting presence for Motoko, a connection to her family even if she disagrees with them and their ways.
The ancient katana was one of the blades that were said to be gifts from the Sun Goddess Amaterasu, a gift to the Aoyamas, given to them in times lost in history, consecrated to fight evil. No matter how many times it was used, the blade was always pristine. A sacred conduit to an Aoyama's Ki, a blade that acquired its own soul during its services to the Aoyama Family. The material it was made of itself a mystery to the ones wielding it. Every Aoyama from the Main Family was herald of one of the few, precious remaining blades.
It was said among the members of her family that if Shisui or any of its sister blades ever drank from innocent blood, the blades would gradually waste away, defiled by such a dishonored act.
Poisoned.
Cursed by Amaterasu herself, for the blades were meant to be used to protect the innocent and the weak.
He was attacking Narusegawa…wasn't he? I-I got there before he carried on hurting her?
The falling sensation coming from the pit of her stomach was increasing more and more.
What was he saying? Naru Sempai DID say he was beating her…that he was lying to me. What was he saying, damn it!!!
She could not recall his words, the rush of anger deafening her to anything coming from him at those moments back at Keitaro's hotel.
Her hands, cold and damp, were shacking. She draws her katana in front of her eyes, focusing on the ancient scabbard. She grabs Shisui's hilt, her knuckles white.
She remembers the jolt she felt when the blade cut through Keitaro's flesh, the memory of the very act sickening her now.
Trembling, she pulls her Katana out of its scabbard. She sees blood smears on the scabbard rim, probably put there when she sheathed the blade back after its last use.
The presence of blood quickening even more her trembling, as she never thought of actually slashing Urashima Keitaro's own flesh.
She starts to pull the blade slowly out, but never completed the act, letting the half unsheathed katana and its scabbard fall with a loud clang to the ground.
The once shinning and proud blade was now dark.
Corroded.
Its once ever pristine surface marred.
She leans to the wall behind her, sliding slowly to the ground, feeling dirty. She notices spilled blood on her hands as well, from when she sheathed Shisui the last time.
The drenched clothes she was wearing now were constricting her, suffocating. While she fell slowly, she could sense, more than hearing, the faint wail coming from the depths of her mind, while her eyes, now wide, where riveted to the once proud blade on the ground, half way unsheathed from its scabbard. She could not pretend the wail was not there anymore.
She could not ignore her actions anymore.
She cannot deny anymore that this wailing was with her all the time since she left, as a fugitive, the hotel where they tracked down Urashima Keitaro.
After breaking into it.
Forcing their way there.
Uninvited.
Violating the will Urashima himself voiced to them not so long ago. The time when he said he would finally leave Hinata sou.
The eerie wailing just diminished a bit after she let Shisui fall from her hands...but Motoko knew at her heart that it was not due the fact if the wailing was diminishing, but due the fact that Shisui was not physically in contact with her.
Oh God! Please…Motoko is trembling hard, cold sweat mixing with the damp clothing over her body. Tears were flowing freely from her wide open eyes. What have I really done!?
She could hear now, through her muddled senses, the low wail coming from her own mouth this time, echoing the one coming from her defiled, ancient katana.
Outside, the rain carried falling…it continued to fall for the whole remainder of that night in Kyoto.

5 Days in the Past
Kyoto, early morning at ShinMei Ryu Master Dojo.
After the morning training session and the usual breakfast, the Aoyamas and Antonio are at the Master Dojo facilities.
This morning the Aoyama Sisters were not on their routine stroll through the Old Dojo premises. As matters of importance were brought by Aoyama Kura, she asked for them to meet back at the Main Complex, making everyone take the transport to the Master Dojo after their breakfast.
Inside one of the many meeting facilities inside ShinMei Ryu Master Dojo Complex, Kura addresses her companions.
“Now, before we start, I really want to say that your display back on our little morning exercise was very impressive, Tsu Chan” Kura says, face serious and collected, though her voice has some hidden amusement to it.
Seated at the chosen meeting room, Tsuruko sets her small pad on the table, looking to Kura and Yumiko. Antonio laughs silently.
“My my…was it not?” Tsuruko laughs lightly, right hand over her mouth. “But you managed a way to bring me down in the end. Not before I was able to knock you down though, Kura dear.” Tsuruko smiles brightly after these last words, eyes full of energy at this moment.
Yumiko adjusts her glasses. “True indeed. That move from Kura enabled me to take you down, but I doubt such will happen again. You were quite sharp today dear sister, and learns fast when it concerns fighting techniques.” Yumiko looks briefly to Antonio, who just nods. “I must admit it is good to see you back into shape. During the last months you were a bit off on our sparrings.” Yumiko adds, running some info on her pad.
“I feel you had quite a good time yesterday” Antonio adds, looking to the ceiling, arms crossed. “I quite remember the little goods you prepared on your way out yesterday.” He reclines on his chair, beaming to Tsuruko. “Not forgetting you arrived quite late, as I recall.” He adds slyly.
“Ah, well…let's see. I am sure you all are curious over that.” She reclines, looking at all present ones, straightening her bangs with her right hand. “Then again I may save some secrets for a while…not that I would not be curious myself if I were in your shoes, fufufu….” She laughs lightly. She is quite feminine this morning, something the present ones could easily notice. “To tell you the truth, not all things went actually as I expected, but then again mystery and surprises are part of the fun of getting any new acquaintance.”
Tsuruko feels really well this morning, and expecting to meet again her young new friend.
Ahah, dear Tsuruko, it is better to see you like this…though I want to know more from your little jaunt from yesterday. But now to what actually brought me here. She is curious, but Kura knew when to press for more info from Tsuruko. Besides, she had matters to bring to their attention.
“Ok then, lets give the lady here a proper time then…though we will demand a debriefing sooner than later.”
Smiling broadly, Kura turns to her pad, touching some buttons on its screen. It beeps once.
“So, to the business now… I have uploaded all info from my time at the SG Headquarters, as well as my meetings with the UN personnel last week.” She rests her pad on the table. Seriousness emanating from her face.
“For now they are quite happy with the additions we made to the International Forces being assembled now to develop and keep a working Terran United Nations Space Force. We kept the details hidden about the actual cache we have here, but an addition of 15 pods, or Puddle Jumpers as they call them, to the present fleet was quite welcomed. There were questions flying around but the Japanese government was able to convince the UN's CSA board members that we could always help with the ones we kept, if the necessity arises.” She sighs. “I am not quite fond of exposing those pods but it did keep their attention from intruding more into ShinMei Ryu matters.”
“That is fortunate. Their help was quite welcomed to understand and activate the facilities we have here, but our science teams are quite capable of conducting matters from now on.” Yumiko was not very happy to disclose too much of their facilities. Best for all to keep as a low profile as possible. They were not unknown to their own country's government or to other secretive agencies from other countries, but they struggled to keep details for themselves. To have a known name even helped sometimes, but to have their real depth and scope exposed was another thing altogether.
“The Ancient Facilities found in the Master Dojo are at the same time a gift and a burden, we are all aware of that.” Tsuruko says, a serious look on her face. “But I trust collaboration, while it does not compromise ShinMei Ryu as a whole, does indeed help.”
She supports her chin over her hands at the table.
“But we must keep the details of our operations and such to a minimum. The SG Command does have their own secrets as well, and we can work well together as long as we trust each other on reaching our mutual goals, but this does not mean we need to share all we have under our wings. There are things they would not be prepared to work with anyway.”
Tsuruko was well aware that among all activities they have under way, these recent joint operations off world did worry her and the Council of Elders a great deal, but they were committed to it now. Not that such was pleasing much to the Council. The very Gate they had there a clear reminder of the changes they need to undergo. Both a great gift, but as well as a great problem to deal with. Theirs was a special Gate. Bigger than the usual, they were speculating it was designed to ferry big cargo loads. The extension of the facilities they found was still not completely uncovered, nor disclosed to outsiders. The experts doing the researches, all people trustworthy and loyal to ShinMei Ryu, always amazed at what they were finding, like the big hangar with 30 pods sitting in perfect working conditions, uncovered a year ago.
“Well, the matter of the jumpers was nicely conducted, as it made them really happy and off of our shoulders.” She smiles. “Politicians and bureaucrats are easily led anyway. Give them a little nice present and they get fast happy. Military on the other hand does know the value of discretion, and we made clear we are quite ready to help, as long as we do not start meddling on each other's affairs.”
Everyone agrees with Tsuruko. ShinMei Ryu was already very well used to deal with government and politics in general, be them from the Japanese own nation or foreign ones.
“The little donation to the international space effort, plus some well placed bribes, did ensure ShinMei being out of their sights. At least for the time being.” Yumiko completes.
Both women were well versed in the kind of power plays necessary to keep their activities flowing without hindrance. Be it by little favors, gifts or the occasional use of raw, brute, deadly force.
“The recent success acquiring a whole starship did help us get a really good support from SG Command, of that you can be really sure. Besides, they do stand at our side where politicians are concerned. They are not exactly fond of them dealing with security affairs” Adds Kura, who was working very closely to the Americans on the past weeks.
Kura leans back on her chair.
“SG Command and the US Government are also happy with us and the little help on moving the Japanese representatives at the UN's Security Council Secret Committee for Space Affairs (CSA for short) to shelf the motion to internationalize all installations and materials referring to Stargate facilities and Ancient Technologies. The idea was finally shelved after the last voting, and the Japanese vote was the one that finally made it go to the freezer. With that, each country possessing Ancient tech will have the full rights over those. Each country possessing such, already part of the UN concerted space effort, vouches to support the UN Space Navy being mounted, but without turning the control of the facilities each possesses.” She smiles. “The US was not happy with the possibility of such bill passing through, but they do need the UN and its financial support now. The expenses of building up a working Space Navy are awesomely high, and they are far into it already to stop now, but giving out control over the Stargate Project was not something their military was eager to accept. Our support over their position and the nudge on our government representatives guaranteed that the politics stays as it is now, and they did appreciate the help.” She displays a devious half-smile now. “I did make clear who did the motions to assert the Japanese vote, as they knew that Japan was at first supporting the internationalization idea, which would also work against us here ultimately.” She rests one finger over the table. “But as it came out, we guaranteed their control over it and also guaranteed our own decision and control over what we have here, and the budget necessary to finance the Space Navy is guaranteed”
“And such now made them indebted to us” Says Yumiko, nodding her head. “Nice move indeed.”
Tsuruko looks seriously to Kura.
“I must add that the outcome of these meetings will help our cause with the Council members here at ShinMei Ryu as well, not mentioning the Circle of Founding Families. The whole matter is yet dividing them. Some are still advocating the termination of all activities regarding the Gate. The possibility of disclosing more of our organization was helping their argument, something that is controlled and averted now.” She sighs. “Internal politics can be as troublesome as any other.” She carries on. “Some members from both groups were still saying that personal vendettas could be the real motivation behind creating our Space Division, and that we were moving too fast concerning this subject.” Tsuruko closes her eyes at this. “The last meeting was not an easy one.” She recalls the meeting with the Elders and the concern some voiced over her position about the whole subject. The concept of using ShinMei Ryu for personal reasons did hurt her at first, but she could understand the worry over the matter, thus she needed to move with care.
“But” Tsuruko points out. “Your talking with a rather influential person from the Circle Founding Families did pay well regarding this debate, Kura dear” She smiles. “Urashima Kohaku is highly respected by the members of the Elders' Council, not mentioning being himself a high member of the Urashima Family and their representative to the new Circle of Founding Families. His word is highly respected, and he is rather passionate over this subject. You really convinced him about the whole subject of forming our own Space Division.” Tsuruko nods in approval. “Quite a feature there indeed! Not only a high ranked member from the Urashima Family, one of the most respect Families within the Circle, but also a personal friend of Fujisawa Risako, the most influent person inside the ShinMei Ryu Council of Elders.” Tsuruko rests her hands on her lap. “Though that the simple fact of being from the Urashima Family would mean a lot within the Council of Elders.”
She carries on.
“His last speech as Speaker for the Founding Families regarding this subject was impressive, moving the Council of Elders and the Circle into voting to support the whole project, giving us more space regarding the Space Division subject, if you pardon me the little pun”
Tsuruko smiles at the memory of the Meeting when the subject was dealt with by Urashima Kohaku. The vote went as Tsuruko expected after Kohaku Dono's speech, showing where the Founding Families would stand regarding this subject and making the Council of Elders abide to the whole subject, albeit reluctantly.
Yumiko adds. “Also true is the fact that the Council of Elders is trying hard to improve our relationship with the Urashima Family, making them not only a member from the Circle of Founding Families, but also a true ally of the Aoyama Family once more. His opinion, as a priest, scholar and as a member of the Urashima Family, is taken very seriously.” She smiles, not of amusement, but of silent approval. “We have been trying hard to straight out our relationship with the Urashima Family for a long time, and after years, it seems this is finally coming about.” She looks to Antonio. “I might add that the fact that Urashima Kanako is part of your Space Fighter Team is something that did help us on the matter, as Kohaku Dono has a close attention towards her.” She remembers her talk with Urashima Kohaku Dono prior to Kanako's coming to the Dojo, 2 years ago. Details from Kanako's past were something still enshrouded in a veil. The girl was not very open about herself and her past, but Urashima Kohaku himself was with the delegation from the Urashima Family group accompanying Kanako years ago. A High Priest from their Shrine in the south. Something that surprised the Council of Elders at the time. The Urashima Family was very secretive about a lot of things anyway. But they were a trusted member from the Circle of Founding Families.
“We NEED this Division to work and develop properly. Maybe not only due personal reasons, but we sure know what happened here years ago.” She closes her eyes, breathing lightly. “It is true we all have been affected emotionally over that, but it is also true that it shows us we cannot ignore what is happening out there. Be it as it may, we would all be involved if things go really nasty. Urashima Kohaku Dono understood that.” Kura taps the table with her right index finger. “Yet another reason to finally clear out the mistakes from our past with the Urashimas.” She closes her eyes. “Mistakes we abhor, and that were done by people long gone, who paid the price for their foolishness.”
Kura Aoyama has been a fierce advocate of ShinMei developing an active hand on the space effort being mounted by the United Nations and the international group formed since the necessity of a real defense against alien threats was recognized as necessary. Kura and her supporters leading a new but already respected group inside ShinMei structure, Antonio himself being a formidable fighter pilot, and assembling a strong fighter pilot force among ShinMei warriors. But the Council of Elders was concerned about the new endeavor and the implications to ShinMei Ryu. Their concern actually dividing the members into those willing to support the Space Division project, and those advocating the simple deactivation of the Gate and the termination of further studies and missions offworld. Their voice was small, but yet hindered a bit Kura's projects. The help from Urashima Kohaku and the support from the Circle of Founding Families were indeed welcomed.
Kura closes her arms.
“Kohaku Dono is a kind and considerate man. Priesthood was deep ingrained into him, as well as his understanding of the realities we are facing now. He understood the implications of what we learned up to this moment. And traditionally the Urashima Family, a family of priests and scholars but also of warriors, has always been known for their innovative and daring ways, not only for their fearsome ability with hand to hand combat techniques as well as their love to help and guide. Something the Aoyamas came to value since deep in the past.” And I am really grateful for his support.
The history from both clans interconnected in many occasions during history, since times already lost in the mists of time.
But there was a deep stain between their relations, a deep rift existing for some time now. Something the Aoyama Family was trying to correct for years now.
Yumiko looks at Kura.
“And Kura dear, be sure of this; the Council of Elders is also aware that you do maintain good relations with Kohaku Dono, and that Antonio seems to have gained Kanako's trust.” Yumiko smiles her known devious smile. “Such facts also earned support for our little cause here.” She adds then. “Short of getting one of the Urashimas marrying someone from our Family, that is as good a movement towards strengthening our ties.”
The fact that members from the Urashima Family have good relations with members from the Aoyama Family and ShinMei is too important to be overseen by the Council of Elders and the Head Masters from ShinMei. The fullest of their history being kept only to the high ranks of the powerful organization ; The rulers of ShinMei and the members of the Council of Elders and the Circle of The Founding Families.
“I have teached you well on political machinations and when to recognize good opportunities, Miko Han.” Kura answers.
“Ah, well, pity we do not have such chances as marriage candidates. But we cannot expect to have everything.” Tsuruko pauses for a bit, thoughtful. “I sure know how the Council wishes to accomplish better relations with the Urashimas.” She rests back on her chair. “Were we lucky enough, we could find someone suitable for Motoko on their Family, if she liked a chosen candidate.” She sighs. “Not that such would be easy…”
Kura makes a thoughtful expression. “As Yumiko is already married to our dear Antonio here, we still have you and Motoko indeed on the line.” Her eyes looking at the ceiling while saying this.
Yumiko fidgets at her seat, looking to Tsuruko through the corner of her eyes while taking her glasses off for a bit. Antonio just studies his pad. Kura was never holding back with Tsuruko as most people usually do, Yumiko and Antonio included. Kura was always hoping Tsuruko would eventually take such subjects in a lighter way, surelly a sign of finally going over her own past.
She may blow out, or just ignore Kura last statement. Which will it be now? Thinks Kura, awaiting Tsuruko's next words.
“I know Motoko can be a hard case.” She looks to Kura. “I know I can be a hard case as well…” She smirks. “But you are Family as well, my dear.” She adds, in a light tone, but with bright eyes on Kura. “Therefore we could count you as, by your own words, on the line as well?” Tsuruko displays a half smile then.
Eh? Making fun of it…that I did not see coming… Yumiko looks at Tsuruko, trying to hide her surprise just now. Antonio punches a key in his pad too strongly, making it fall to the table, trying to hide his own surprised expression. He witnessed more than one almost fight between Kura and Tsuruko about exactly such kind of teasing.
Kura looks back to Tsuruko, smiling as if satisfied with the brief exchange. “Oh right. I do not have time for this you know, at least for the time being. And on your case, no one would expect the Head of the ShinMei Ryu to marry an Urashima. That would be asking too much of a grace.” She looks thoughtful again. “But yet Motoko could be a good candidate, were she ever interested on someone from their family.” She changed her target fast, yet Kura was somewhat happy inside.
Yumiko adds then. “THAT could be more of a grace than expecting our Head Master to do so, given Motoko's attitude and no real knowledge of the Aoyama Family history, not talking about knowing who are the Urashima Family, and what we are trying to do here.”
They all made light laugh over that, as they all were well aware of Motoko's reaction if such idea was proposed. Chances were she was not even aware of who were the family the woman that owns the place she was living in now belonged to, even if they were disconnected to the Urashima main family; such was her detachment from the real ShinMei Ryu, or the real depth of Aoyama Family's history.
Kura takes a deep breath then, and looks to Antonio.
“But now, let's move towards the reason that brought me earlier back here.” She looks serious, her eyes sharp, becoming all business, once more.
“Antonio, how well prepared is the team you assembled to test those fighters the SG Command told us about? That cooperative project with a friendly alien race called Scynthians?”
“Urashima Kanako and Kervona Neo are off world as of yesterday, already with SG Command personnel. We were practicing on some kind of simulation device on Atlantis for a time last month prior to the little starship hijacking jaunt, given that the simulator could not be brought to Earth. They are on the way back to Pegasus now, on the starship Agamemnon, as well as some others from their teams. As for myself, I flew the simulations as well, and feel quite confident to handle those babies” He grins. Antonio was anxious to test those ships, if they could do what he saw on the simulators. “I have two men here, who were with me on the Atlantis simulator before. They are at the Dojo as we speak.”
“Good” Nods Kura. “Some recent Intel made SG Command a bit nervous 3 days ago. It seems there has been some kind of activities by unknown parties near the fringe of the Treaty Area. The Intel was acquired by long range sensors, but the energy configuration matches H'Tak specs. Nothing conclusive, but there has been some kind of commotion among the System Lords, says Tok'Ra information gathering. This has made the SG Command and the Scynthian representatives willing to step up their schedule, and begin test maneuvers no later than 5 days from now.” She rests back on her chair, looking to Antonio. “Can we do that?” She notices Yumiko's brief smirking at that, but she says nothing.
“Well, yes. I will need to call the others, and we will need to recall the Agamemnon, but they will be in the Milky Way yet for 14 hours before engaging full Intergalactic Drive, therefore we will be able to contact them through SG Command.” Says Antonio, though not very happy to leave so early. Man, they haven't had enough time to rest since the last mission…even the ones offworld were supposedly on stand by for training, still more than 15 days until any new real assignment…
Antonio is not happy but so are things. Not really a man of complaining, he is already preparing on his mind what he needed to do after this meeting.
“Well, they asked us to have our people ready. A Scynthian vessel will meet the Agamemnon on a pre-set location, as they advised me they already recalled that ship to participate on this test, and the maneuvers will begin as soon as the Scynthian vessel arrives” She turns her pad off. “They were afraid of any suspect activity now. Be it as it may, the present defensive forces we have against the Goaul'd are not what we would hope to really possess. And the Asgard forces are still recovering after their final battle against their age old enemy. They could not assist us now, as they are mopping up their own grounds.” She adds then. “We cannot rely on outside help forever anyway. Asgard forces have their own affairs to take care off, and the cure for their genetic problem now accomplished will surely make them first tend to their own for a time. They have their own race to save. What we need is to assemble a working force that can really act as an effective defense for our planet.” She sighs. “New times are upon us. ShinMei will definitively need to learn and adapt to these new times. From not knowing about stellar civilizations to now actually being a part of galactic power plays in so little time. “Well… ” Kura closes her eyes for an instant. “We NEED to be actively participating on what is being prepared to defend Earth, and we need to develop an active task force to operate out there on our own. We fully know, knowledge carved by fire into us, that we are already a part of it all, even before this alliance was made.”
“We do not know what we can do yet, but we need to be prepared should any treat starts to move against Earth and its people.” Tsuruko looks a bit sad now. “Life has become quite complicated as of late. Not enough to hunt demons and such…now we know what those really are in nature, and that there are other threats out there as well. Supernatural giving way to science and understanding, and yet every bit as daunting. And now we have a greater universe to deal with…for good or bad.” She looks to all present, eyes sharp. “We are already committed to this effort for a long time now, the commitment signed by blood once. Should something like what happened here once come to pass again, we will be prepared. And those daring to defy us will know to think twice before moving against ShinMei Ryu.” Her voice was sharp and focused, confident. All present knew Tsuruko's feelings over this very subject.
“Sure, and we are already forming a formidable force here, thanks to Kura and Antonio.” Says Yumiko, though she is not happy with the idea of her husband flying away again so soon. “But Kura Sempai, what is their opinion over this possible movement at the borders of the Treaty Space, as you put it?” Yumiko is really worried. “Are we in any definite danger? They are the ones used to deal with such.” Yumiko is concerned, and they were still getting used to now being part of something embracing other stars matters. Sometimes Yumiko gets amazed at how strange reality was, and her lack of experience over these new matters still unsettling her a bit. She looks briefly to her husband, while he checks his own pad.
Superstitions, demons, magis…now we know those are not fruit of supernatural but actually scientifically understandable and part of universe's physical, natural laws…I thought we would enter a more stable, tranquil age, without danger lurking in the shadows…and now we got thrown into some kind of Star Wars thing…and I do not even like science fiction movies.
She sighs inwardly, worried at many things, her husband's safety among those.
“There is no definite threat yet.” Kura says. “Ship maneuvers can be seen as normal, legitimate activity. The System Lords seemed not willing to initiate new hostilities after their latest defeat and the confiscation of the H'Tak we helped acquiring.” She looks at everyone in the table. “ But being prepared is always a healthy way of tackling things, and those new fighters from the Scynthians seem to be a very promising acquisition to the combined effort into the Space Force being assembled now.” She sighs. “Times change, so must we. Now we see there are more to the stars above us. Good we start to think on what ShinMei own course will be in these new times. Not only to defend, but also to be prepared to strike when necessary.”
“On this I totally agree. We need to prepare our own people.” Yumiko knows her own position on all that was happening. “But we need to adapt ourselves as well as learn to adapt to these new times.” She adds. “Learn and adapt, to be able to move with purpose and focus.”
“On that account we shall prepare!” Tsuruko says, resting her hands on the table. “But never forgetting our responsibilities here as well.” She closes her eyes briefly, remembering some moments from last night. “I must point out also that we cannot neglect ShinMei original mandate as well. One of those being the fact we vouched to guide and protect. I recall we acknowledged a long time ago that Ki wielders, being gifted with such ability, are also responsible for acting properly.” She looks to all present. “It came to my attention that we may be neglecting one of the mandates we had on ShinMei since its creation; to search and teach people able to use Ki, and ensure that such ability is never abused.” She is serious. “Many now are starting to display crude Ki abilities, and so it happens that some are abusing it. Such is not something we can control in full, but we must ask to all operatives and our personnel spread as observers to ensure we can detect any great abuse of Ki abilities, or else innocent people may suffer. And that is something we must always strive to avoid.”
Yumiko nods her head. “Although we now know the Universe out there is also something we need to be aware of, we need to carry on tending our people and our old mandates on our little piece on the said Universe.” She touches her glasses. “After all, our battles, here or out there, are meant to protect people.” She adds. “And losing sight of matters here will not help in the long run. Besides, as things go, we better know who can use Ki and can learn how to really work with it. That means more possible warriors to our own ranks.” Yumiko does feel that to be prepared means to be steadily increasing their own ranks.
“On that we all surely agree.” Says Kura, to what everyone nods in approval.
Antonio rises.
“If that is all, now I need to go gather my personnel here and explain the situation. Kura san, I will talk to you about schedules and warrior's assignments on the upcoming maneuvers shortly.” He stands, bowing. “If you all excuse me” He looks to Yumiko. “Anata, we talk again in a bit. I will join you for lunch.” He says serious.
Antonio was a man of responsibility, and as much as he wished to be more with his wife, he also understood the importance of what was said just now.
“Hai” Yumiko nods. “I have some matters to clear with Tsuruko and after I will be working on the material Kura brought us, anata. See you soon” She waves at him, while Antonio leaves.
Kura stands up.
“Ok! I need to prepare some reports to send to the CSA representatives overseeing these maneuvers. I will be back to talk later.” She stands, looking at Tsuruko. “And of course there is this situation of debriefing yesterday's activities of a certain ShinMei Master.” She sports a really healthy smile. “Jah ne” She nods and departs the room, not without blinking to Tsuruko. “We better never neglect what is really important while dealing with the more mundane matters at this place, is it not true?” She says while passing the room's doors.
“Oh my….she will not let it go, I see.” Says Yumiko, straightening her glasses once more.
“That I noticed” Nods Tsuruko. But I would do the same were we on reversed sides. She laughs in her mind.
Yumiko looks at her pad. “Eto…it seems I will have to try and ask Morisato Engineering to speed up the visit from his techs. As things are faring now, we better upgrade systems as fast as possible.” She sighs. “And yet life goes at the Dojo. Ceres Victoria arrival is confirmed. All set as well.”
“I can always count on you to straighten things out fast, Miko Han” Smiles Tsuruko, agreeing with her sister on the system upgrading matter. “As for Victoria, well. Teaching is the heart of any Dojo, and we are always happy to offer guidance for those seeking such.” Tsuruko nods to Yumiko.
“Ah, Yumiko Han…” Tsuruko, looking her sister in the eyes, remembers a point she wants to try clearing on her mind. “Have you ever met someonewith a dark Ki aura?” Tsuruko cocks her head. “I mean, Ki coloring has nothing to do with intentions and all…but I do recall studying something on dark auras on my Ki lessons.” She pouts a bit. “But I was not a really bright student on that subject, I confess.”
Yumiko tries to recall her own knowledge over Ki reading lessons.
“I do recall Master Hikari always admonishing us to never go into conventional views or pre conceptions over Ki observation, when we are able to observe Ki manifestations. Bright auras can easily be dangerous for they may cover the wielder's true intentions, and be aggressive ones…bespeaking of lack of control as well. Too much spilled energy, wasted.” She closes her eyes. “I recall him also saying that usually the not bright fields usually bespoke of great self control or introverted uses of Ki energy. Such fields usually are more of the protective kind as well, though I cannot be sure right now. But those are not necessarily dark, but just not very bright.” She looks to Tsuruko. “I also remember when he entered the class emitting a somewhat dark field…the day when he received the notice of his wife's departing us. He was trying to shield it, but ineffectively. Yes. That day he was engulfed in a somewhat darkened aura, which was held at bay by his will. But I think Master Hikari himself could help you more on the subject, Tsu Han.”
She looks quizzically to Tsuruko, over her glasses' lenses. “But why the question?”
“Ah, nothing really. Just curiosity after talking to a friend.” I will talk with Master Hikari then…
Tsuruko looks serious now. “Miko Han, as Kohaku dono's name was mentioned in this room, what about matters concerning the Urashima Family? How are things faring?”
“Well, Kohaku Dono is really working near Kura on everything related to the Space Division. He is happy wit Kanako and her position within our forces as well.” She adjusts her glasses. “We should not haste things up though. He is still not very forthcoming about their family and never said anything about a real alliance with us like we had in the past. We can expect things to improve slowly, but we still have a lot of grief to clear out.”
Tsuruko sighs. “True indeed.”
Yumiko looks up, remembering some second hand information she had concerning the family from the south. “I heard from members of the Circle that there was some kind of problem within the Urashima Family concerning their old Family Head prior to their comeback to the Circle. The man seemed to have been quite a figure, and one the Urashimas were not really fond of. But little we know aside Circle member's gossip, given the seclude nature the Urashimas reveal when their family is the subject. The only other source close to us would be Kanako, but she was clear from the very start that she had nothing to do with the Masters of her family, keeping herself actually distanced from them for the little she talked about her family. She was surprised when Kohaku Dono came to talk to her back when she entered our ranks.”
Tsuruko nods. “I recall those times, and Kanako's stance, though Kohaku dono seems to be slowly reaching the girl.” Tsuruko holds her chin above her right hand. “We need to be slow but I wish we could settle those matters from the past once and for all. Aside the subject of clearing past sins, there are more present and serious reasons to be working closer to the Urashimas once more.”
“I am quite aware that the researchers who studied the Aoyama blades here are pushing to visit their Shrine and study the fabled Hina Blade, as it is related to the remaining Aoyama blades. The ones here are now partly understood, but as legend is mixed with truth regarding those blades, their request is reasonable.” Yumiko crosses her arms. “But the Hina Blade and what revolves around it is still a very sensitive subject. And I will not press Kohaku Dono about this. We could very well end our hopes of straightening out things with the Urashimas if we press this very subject now.”
Tsuruko nods, closing her eyes, thoughtful, recalling what she knows about the whole subject.
More than 150 years ago an aggressive and wrong move made by the Aoyamas before the Urashimas' land became part of modern Japan created a bloody rift between the two families, making them rescinding their position at the Circle of Founding Families and breaking any relations with the Aoyamas for over 100 years.
In the last 50 years, they slowly opened for conversations again, and a possible way to regain their trust was once within reach for the Aoyamas
Deep was their shame over what happened in the past, and any talk about the Hina Blade Incident was almost taboo for members of the Aoyama Family, as they were at fault.
But after the discoveries of the Gate and what the connections it had to the family treasured blades and the cache of alien tech found at the Master Dojo premises, the nature of the ancient Hina Blade and the story around it was again taken seriously by the Council of Elders. But they would never again attempt to gain control of the fabled blade by force. The Hina Blade belonged to the Urashimas by right if the legends were to be taken for truth. To forcefully gain control of it again would never happen. They also know that if the stories were really true, they could destroy easily the blade if they suspect others were planning to steal it. They knew how to do it, and they would not hesitate to do so.
The secrets around the blade were many, but the Urashimas would die before anyone touched it without permission. Such was already proved real by the sad and bloody incident from the past, when a really stupid Aoyama Head Master tried to take possession of the blade, saying that ShinMei Ryu should have it, as the legend around the sacred blades belonging to the Aoyamas tied them to the Hina Blade. All of them said to be gifts from the Sun Goddess Amaterasu to both families. And the legend also said that the Hina Blade was special, a key to some important secret.
This Aoyama Master, his name uttered with deep shame, led a secret attack, sending a task force into the Urashima Sun Shrine, under the reasoning that they were more suited to protect the blade, as the Urashimas were not a great warrior family, and that if their blade possessed some special power, it should be with the Aoyamas. In the hand of true Warriors already possessing the other known blades.
He died in the attack, but not before destroying one of the Aoyama's blades by slaying a Priest from the Shrine with it.
The attack was averted but many died then. The very act was a huge betrayal, as both families were allies since times immemorial, even if both existed on different countries, as the Urashima Sun Shrine is located in Osaka, which was not part of the Japanese Country until the end of the 19th century, when it was officially turned into part of Japan.
The incident created a huge rift between both families, and it was deemed as an act of cowardice perpetrated by the Aoyamas then, as they were mostly warriors, whereas the Urashimas were mostly priests and scholars, their warriors being few, but fierce.
It was a time of turmoil. The next Head Master, who was unaware of the attack before it came about and that never supported the idea of taking the Hina Blade by force, tried to explain things out, but to no avail. The members of the Council at the time that were aware of the plan were punished by death, but the innocent blood spilled was a hard fact to just forgive and forget.
The connections were severed, and although the new Head Master swore that no Aoyama, and no ShinMei Ryu warrior, would ever hurt an Urashima again, the grief caused the two families to distance themselves from each other for decades.
This was over 150 years ago…
Now both families claimed the incident was over, and as new times approached them all, the Urashimas were once more open to dialogue, though the Hina Blade Incident was never forgotten.
Actually after over 150 years without a permanent representative in the Circle of Founding Families, the Urashimas were back again. This was related to the fact that Urashima Kanako was part of the task force being assembled by Antonio and Kura, and a member of ShinMei Ryu ranks for over 2 years now. And as the Aoyamas were for a time now trying to bring the old Shadow Warriors Family from the south into a new, renewed alliance, dealings with them and their representatives were taken with great care. The very fact that Urashima Kanako was part of Antonio's Team being reason for happiness among the Elders, even for those against the Space Project under way.
Little meant that at the time the girl came to the ShinMei she claimed to have nothing to do wit her family Masters anymore. She was an Urashima and that was enough. And truth is that soon after her entry into ShinMei Ryu ranks, her family sent a representative to the Circle, making it all seem as some kind of attempt to approach the Aoyama's without a full compromise at once.
It was all seen as a signal that the Urashimas were beginning to open for a possible strengthening of the families' relationship once more. Something even more desirable due the new times unfolding upon ShinMei Ryu. Even though they were deep connected to the spiritual, the Urashima Family was known for their innovative and daring views, as well as never being shy of learning new ways and improving things. ShinMei Ryu valued their dynamic ways now, as ShinMei itself was not that much adaptative, something that could hinder the whole organization sometimes. Big organizations sometimes have the tendency to dogmatism and monolithic thinking, and infusion of new ideas, views and behavior was something they needed. But such to be accepted needs to come from a source they do respect, thus the recognized value of the connection with the Shrine keepers from the south. After years not knowing news from the Urashima Family and its affairs, they seemed to have come through some changes on their last decade's ways, and were starting to open again.
The stain on their relationship severed their link for a long time, being it solely fault from the Aoyama Family, the reason behind the rift between both clans a sore spot on the proud Aoyama Family history and a painful reminder of the responsibilities they have, of their own human nature, prone to errors but carrying a high responsibility by wielding the kind of power they have. They needed restraint and they needed to be aware of what such responsibilities and powers meant.
As a family and as individuals.
The Urashima Family was once again approaching the Aoyamas. The Family itself went through turmoil during the last decades said rumors which could not be confirmed as ShinMei was never able to get a clear information about them, for fearing of straining more the faint ties still existing, but the chance to fix old disagreements and make new ties was upon them, and ShinMei as a whole would not let that opportunity pass.
Especially now that it was possible that the Hina Blade did indeed possess some important secret in it, being it from the same origin as the blades the Aoyama had. Their nature was tied to the Ancient tech found on their grounds, and even though the blades they had were indeed special, they just guessed what the Hina Blade could really do. Their blades were special, but as weapons only, as they kept themselves always pristine and were extremely impervious, but the legend of their origin was clear to say that the Hina Blade was special among those already unique weapons, legends stating it was responsible for keeping locked some great evil, or power, at check. The old documents over the matter were on the original language spoken on the area the Shrine was located, and it was not clear if what the blade controlled or kept locked was indeed evil or some kind of great power.
They could only guess what such could mean by the light of what they were discovering at the Dojo´s premises.
And Aoyama Tsuruko could not risk jeopardizing their slowly healing relationship just by acting in haste. There was simply too much at stake.
“Ok, we will not press for anything related to the Hina Blade subject, but in time we will need to do so. But we can wait for now.” Tsuruko knows she will need to talk about that sometime in the future. “First let's build true and strong bridges through which we can amend the past and build a new future for us all.” Tsuruko is serious, conscious of her own role within ShinMei Ryu. Since the coward act an Aoyama perpetrated trying to gain power and steal something precious from a friend and ally like the Urashimas once were, deep was the will of every Aoyama to erase and correct this terrible mistake in their history.
The very story of the sad act made by members from the Aoyama Family in the past felt so wrong to Tsuruko. Something inside her always felt repulsed and sad about the whole incident when she was taught the real history between the Aoyamas and the Urashimas. Indeed the act was coward, but ever since Tsuruko learned it, something inside her felt twisted, a deep sadness was felt by her over the whole episode.
Tsuruko would never put at risk the slowly healing process they were finally being able to reach.
Yumiko looks at Tsuruko, aware of the kind of pressure the Council should be exerting upon her over this subject as well.
She also knew that once the Council did proposed Tsuruko to think about marriage with an Urashima. That was shortly after the coming of Kanako, starting a really close relation with them in years. That was one of the few times Tsuruko snapped in a Council meeting, actually quarreling with them. She was not against the idea of a marriage to link the families, but only if both candidates were willing to it, and she was NOT willing to abide to any Omimai. She was not ready yet to open herself to a new companion, even if for the Family.
“Hmm…all right.” She seems to recall something. “There is something I wished to bring to your attention as well, Tsu Han.” She sets her two hands on the table, as if to support herself now. “As we mentioned Motoko today, is it not time for our young sister to start her studies here at the Dojo? I know her stance over some subjects, but yet she is an Aoyama, and that brings responsibilities upon us all.” She seems quite serious. “Actually, with all that is happening as of late, I think it is time for us to talk again with Motoko. We do have a lot happening here, and she is Family, after all.” Yumiko was never the one to go around a subject, especially something concerning family matters.
Tsuruko lowers her head, looking at the table in front of her. “You are completely right, my dear, and I thought about that recently myself. But Motoko's attitude always touched a sore point on me.” Tsuruko closes her eyes briefly. “But you are right. It has been a long enough time away, and we have given her as much space as possible. And given that by now her own abilities will be revealing themselves more and more, it is time to teach her how to use them properly.” Somehow becoming aware of Kei kun's experiences calls my attention to the fact that Motoko is a great Ki wielder, and that makes her all the more in need of learning how to deal with her abilities and the responsibility such entails. I trust her judgment and intuition, but knowledge is necessary to us all. Tsuruko looks at Yumiko. “I will call Urashima Haruka and see how things with Motoko are faring.”
If more people with responsibility and knowledge are out there, less are the chances of an abuser like the one Kei Kun met to escape unpunished, making innocent and unprepared people suffer. I am sure Motoko would go hard on such shameful people! Motoko Han has many issues to solve, but her sense of honor would make her mad at such behavior as I noticed on Kei Kun's memories, at least by what I was able to perceive yesterday.
Tsuruko misses her young sister, but her own feelings at the matter always hindering her decision of convincing Motoko to come back. A twinge of guilt was always there, even though there were no real reasons for such. But Tsuruko herself feels a bit responsible for never insisting with Motoko to clear out her mind over what troubled her for a long time now.
For different reasons we never really tried to talk about some subjects, Motoko Han. But it is time for you too to start moving out of your own past.
Tsuruko is intent on correcting the present state of affairs between them and their young sister away from Kyoto.
“Ok, but then let me call Haruka. She is an old friend after all, something no one in the Council ever knew.” Blinks Yumiko.
Yumiko kept her friendship with Urashima Haruka for herself during her University days, aware that Haruka and her immediate relatives were actually disconnected to their main Family affairs as her friend told her once, much like Kanako claimed to be as well, both being apparently not aware of their history with the Aoyamas concerning the Hina Blade Incident, something expected as the whole incident was now know to very few people in upper echelons of both families structure. Actually the fact that Motoko was at a house owned by an Urashima was not of common knowledge to the Elders, but they knew the owners should be trusted by the Aoyama Sisters, and that was enough. The Council learned not pushing into personal family affairs a long time ago, acknowledging the sisters to take their actions with responsibility.
For those not aware of the full history between the two families, the Urashimas were just a powerful religious family, with a rich old history, and keepers of a Shrine in the Osaka region for centuries. A Family which had political disagreements with the Aoyama Family in the past, something that created a not very friendly relation between both families for a time now.
“I have not talked with Haruka for a long time.” Says Yumiko, while standing up. “Besides, you have things to attend to. I do have some of my own to clear out regarding this latest news, but I did intend to call Haruka anyway.”
She starts to leave, but turns at the doors threshold. “But, fearing to unwillingly thread into Kura's steps, I say we still need to talk over your last night. I sense you have a lot to tell, be you aware of it or not, Tsu Han.” She says, smiling, while leaving the room. “Jah ne!”
Yumiko departs in a cheery way, but Tsuruko can sense the underlying worry about her husband's upcoming assignment.
We will surely talk, dear sister. Her eyes now were lingering a bit on the spot where her sister was a moment ago.I also sense your own thoughts a bit troubled by these latest news from our American friends. Tsuruko straightens herself, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath. Being who we are, and doing what we do, our lives are always prone to unexpected and sometimes unpleasant turns. But I am confident all will be fine. She opens her eyes, a thoughtful but nice smile on her features. But concerning my last night, I still want to process a bit more of what I saw, felt and experienced. Tsuruko extends her two arms over the table in front of her, looking thoughtful.
This subject brought by Kura was not expected, and she needed to see the reports over Kura's proceedings while away from ShinMei.
Again a lot of things are happening fast here. But she does have some decisions already taken. I still intend to meet Kei Kun in spite of it all. Tsuruko is aware of her responsibilities but she is also intent on carrying with caring again for her personal life. I also intend to talk with Master Hikari before lunch. She takes a mental note about what she wanted to do. I just hope things do not escalate into trouble fast around here. I do feel something is brewing up…I can't deny it. Her eyes sharpen a bit. But then again, dealing with all this now heightens my will to move ahead myself and makes me cherish even more all the moments such as I had yesterday! After all, what we all do here is ultimately to protect people in general, and those we especially care about in particular.
A fleeting, astray thought crosses her mind: And good thing I never abided to that Omimai idea, yes… She caught herself at this moment, and looks with a reddened face to the pad at the table in front of her.
She rises from her seat, scooping the little pad from the table and moving out of the Conference Room, her loose hair flying around due her swift movement. As she moves out of the Conference Room she taps her head twice with the little pad, sticking out her tongue at her own thoughts now. Meh, why have I thought that? Fufufu…
She sports a bright face while going to her office.
As she threads the corridors of the ShinMei Ryu Complex, she activates her pad's comm. pack; “Omoikane, please file the recording of this conversation at Room 17 as Confidential Class A3, to be locked under my own security codes.”
[Done as requested, Tsuruko Sama] Omoikane answers almost immediately.
She pauses for a moment, organizing her thoughts. “Now, I have some calls to place; first please contact…” She carries dictating her commands to Omoikane in a cheery voice.
The tall, raven haired warrior moves to her office, already lining her next 4 hours as best she could on her mind. She planned to be done until midday, no matter what.
SSS
Keitaro, having woken up early, is feeling pretty okay this morning.
Oh my, it is good to be using my body to something more than cleaning service! Or punch bag duty…
Keitaro was going to his room, after working out on the Resort's Gym Room.
It has been a while since I made real exercises. I do recall Kana `Neesan always admonishing me about keeping up with my exercises. He scratches his head. She always said that it would not to be fitting for an Urashima to be caught physically weak. Plus girls in general would appreciate someone with attention to health. He sticks his tongue out to that line of thought just now. Ahah, I can't say such worry is out of my mind right now to be really honest!
Keitaro, after the previous and night, was still amazed at how kind, and at the same time, how dangerous, his new friend were. Tsuruko did impress him in many ways. Still, he felt something more there, though he was not ready to fully recognize it himself yet
But of one thing Keitaro was really aware of; He has not felt this good for a long time. But even though that was true, he was a bit afraid of immersing fully into some of his feelings.
Oh…I can't start drooling for the first woman that seems nice and friendly towards me…but I can't deny that yesterday was one of the most pleasant days I ever had, even accounting those moments at the park with those trolls.
He enters his room, readying himself to take a shower and then tackle a bit more of the ordered drawing.
I also can't deny she is one of the most gorgeous women I ever met. He taps his head lightly. Keitaro no baka! Stay away from problems for the time being. Let's enjoy the moments we have…as for anything else, well. Better not dwell on dreams for a time Urashima Keitaro! Enough problems back at `home' due dreams and such!
He enters the shower, and suddenly remembers something.
Oh! I completely forgot to call Haruka back! I hope she did not wait for my call until late yesterday! He turns the water on, lathing his head wile thinking. I will call her after the bath…then back to drawing! He smiles, feeling energized and happy. Then lunch with Tsuruko, and sightseeing Kyoto with her! Niiiice! He is quite content, the gloominess of not so long ago set aside.
Keitaro was feeling well.
Lately his life seemed to have taken a really troublefull path, and many sad memories were sadly linked to his time as manager of Hinata Sou, adding to his other memories. He did have good memories as well from the times there, but his mistake carrying on trying to endear Narusegawa Naru did carry a lot of grief now, even though he was not aware of such before, holding her as the focus of his old dreams.
Wasted time trying to endear someone that never accepted him. Not that such was new to the young man.
Seems like I am used to try to be accepted by those who do not care about me. A fleeting somber thought comes to his head, but goes as fast as it comes, at least for the time being.
He enjoys the hot water over his body, giving in to the simple pleasure of a hot bath after a good workout.
While Keitaro dries himself, he starts thinking about his life, or a part of it.
What have I done up to this day? Why have I been so caught up with something that brought me so many problems? He wonders about the promise that held him captive for so long a time. True, I never put this into doubt, my own attitude with the promise girl and the matter of getting into Tokyo U. But these latest events are finally making me wonder about the whole thing. He scratches his head, and after changing, he goes to the balcony of his room. The morning breeze and the scents from the forest coming from the woods around the hotel filling his lungs, gave a pleasant sensation. Oh Kana dear…you tried so many times to help me out of this obsession of mine. He uses a word he never used before to refer to his Promise. A term Kanako used once when discussing with him, causing them to have a real fight once, years ago. Now I see your point `Neesan. Gommen nasai for getting mad at you for trying to make me see the truth. If I think clearly about this, were not for your patience and even those funny attempts to hook me with friends of yours, I could have really become a weirdo, or even a hikikomori, locking myself from the world after the first failures at Todai. Keitaro closes his eyes, feeling the air around him. The World holds more to it, I see it now. There is a pain on my heart, and the promise still rings on my heart. But not for that woman anymore, as I know now who the girl really is. But the idea of love and romance, and acceptance, is something that rings deeply inside myself. I never planned to be alone and to become a weirdo, obsessed with empty dreams…but that is what I have been doing for a long time it seems.
Keitaro, never before doubting his life up to the last events at Hinata Sou and his latest Exams at Todai, is now aware of many things he has not really enjoyed up to this moment. School, friends, the thrill of getting interested in a girl. He went through his life up to now with little to no other idea than getting into Todai. Worst, he now does not even know why. The main drive up to this moment was to find his beloved one. That he did, or at least the girl of the Promise. And everything went downhill from that time on.
I tried so hard to get into Todai…and never once did I think about what I wished to do there. Whenever I thought about Todai, it was to think about the meeting with the Woman of My Life, the one that accepted and loved me by what I am and not for any other reason, and certainly not by my bloodline or Family. He leans to the hand rail, looking to the woods. Gosh, I never even thought about the real woman behind the promise. I was only focusing on getting into Todai and meeting her there. Have I ever really thought how this woman would really be? Not a single time! I was so focused on getting there that I never dwelt on what it would be after meeting the girl.
He sighs.I must face now that some of the drives behind this are not only due the fabled promise. I see now my own feelings over my relationship with my family are part of the equation…Thinking about Family was never easy for Keitaro.
He stands, hands firm on the hand rail in front of him. The matters surrounding his family were yet sensitive for the young man to address fully. In the end it was not even necessary to enter Todai. I met the girl before. And boy…was it not a ride in the end?
He thinks about the times he was beaten and bad mouthed. About the scars on his body. About the scars on his mind. Granted, some of the oldest scars were gained in another time, under other circumstances. But the time on Hinata Sou added to the physical marks left on Keitaro up to the present. And all of those scars were borne from intolerance and lack of acceptance.
But a ride I would easily forego were I aware of what was ahead of me. Even thinking this, he was smiling. But I can't deny it, not all was unpleasant. The thrill of meeting the Promise Girl for one, albeit a fleeting thrill at that. And acquiring a new friend in little Shinobu. Kaolla chan is charming on her on as well. They both will grow into nice women, giving time. Keitaro cares for the little ones at Hinata Sou. Shinobu was like a little sister, one he never had. He tried to look after her, the way his beloved older sister cared and looked about him. Kanako have always been a bright star amidst sad memories from his family. His parents, Kanako, Hina San and Haruka. He was proud to be able to say they are his family. But the Urashima family had showed him its hard face as well in the past. He knew well how hard they could be, harsh and unyielding.
He sighs. Kitsune could be a nice woman as well, were it not for that tricky personality of hers. She should try to act differently. She is beautiful and intelligent. I hope she changes some of her attitudes in time, for if she does that, she would have many men after her. He laughs. Not that she is not a success with men right now. I bet she does get a lot of attention. He remembers his own reaction when first meeting Kitsune. I may have been focused on my Dream Girl, but I never said I was oblivious to women in general and cute ones in particular. Greater is my own regret now when thinking about this…
Keitaro leans on the hand rail, lowering his head.
Motoko chan…I always admired your dedication and strength, but your impulsiveness and your lack of understanding always struck me as wrong. I wondered if your training and rigid views were the reason of such, but then again I met a Master now…a true female Master and a really strong Ki wielder, and she differs from you in so many ways…thus it is not because of your training. Is it family? Your stance at times made me remember old Toriyama Dono. That was a sour thought for Keitaro. In any case I wish you really learn otherwise. Try to listen to others. I believe you can be so much more. And yet you did hurt me so many times without even listening to my own side of events. But I do not wish you any bad. I hope you grow to be like the woman I just met. Recalling the scene in the park, when Tsuruko stood up to defend a young man being physically offended by his friend, he can't deny it was so very hard to remember Motoko's behavior. The differences between both women were more than age. Maturity and personality were so different. Keitaro found it strange that Tsuruko somehow made him remember Motoko. Maybe the raven hair, or the proud stance she bears herself. But the gap between the two was at the same time too big on Keitaro's mind.
He enters his room again, looking at the table where his drawing utensils were sitting, atop the sheet he is using now, a finely drawn image taking shape on it. And here I am, after meeting the Promise, Dream Girl and discovering that much of what geared my life was nothing but an empty thing. I did noticed that before now, for that is the reason I have come to Kyoto, but after the day I had, it dawns on me strongly how empty an important part of my life has been up to now.
Sitting at the table, he holds a pencil, toying with it while resting his back at the chair. I thought until not so long ago that I would find bliss when entering Todai and fulfilling the Dream…but why? Even I am mesmerized at everything now. Once long ago I made a promise to never raise a hand against someone I know, and care for. That promise I can understand now…but this whole mess I made with my personal life up to now is a mystery even to me. Why the idea of that promise rang so deeply on my soul. If I think about it, it was unreasonable, a child's promise! Why then I made this mess in my life! Do I even know what would I really do at Todai? Which classes? Which graduation did I seek for? My only intent was to meet a girl?! How much more pathetic can I be? Maybe Toriyama was actually right about me.
Keitaro remembers the times when he cried on his room, and Kanako finding him doing so. She raged against the Urashima Family Master and his stupidity, holding Kei to her arms, saying that no one had the right to mistreat her brother. They both longing for their father and the days before his passing away, when they could laugh all together.
Looking at the table, he sees his drawing materials, and also the portable media player holding his collection of mangas and animes. Since I know about myself I liked to draw. Even my hobbies were geared toward arts, but I never thought about enrolling into any art related school. The idea of Todai was never linked to something to build a career. Gosh! Todai was simply a `Meeting The Girl' point. I also feared even more being rejected by the Family Elder, if such was possible.
He looks fondly at the drawing he is making. How much fun and enjoyment he has when doing that. Seta san told me once, when he was visiting Haruka, that I could join him as a drawing assistant any time on his field projects. I had talent for that. Haruka agreed, but there was no such graduation on Todai. I dismissed it as a hobby only. He sighs, resting the drawing in the works at the table. Tsuruko's face was easily recognizable on the drawing, and he was working fast with it, happy with the results so far. Finding the Girl before entering Todai took away a bit of the fuel to study, I need to admit. That and taking care of Hinata Sou alone, not talking about the problems I had there. Narusegawa allure was strong on me…she is beautiful, and to finally discover she was the girl I made that promise was a shock. Her attitude towards me was so strange. At one time nice, then vicious and violent over simple accidents or pranks. He stands, pacing the little space he has in his room.
I should have known better and tried to clear things up before they went the way they have gone. But her attitude at one time made me nervous about the whole Todai subject. I see now I had a faint hope she could change her attitude towards me once I was there, graduating in some prestigious area. But then again would she be dating me or the area I choose on Todai? Deep down I see now I was becoming hurt with what I was starting to recognize. Maybe I knew even before the latest failure that the main reason to fight and enter Todai was already lost. What would I do there anyway? The main reason was saying out loud and clear what her impression was about me, that on a really daily basis, and sometimes quite painfully.
Keitaro lay on his bed, spreading his arms. But in the end we both failed. And you know what? That was for the better. Though it was not a decision of mine, it helped me get away from the grip of that Promise. The nudge into reality was big enough this time for me to readdress everything. And the last two days have been so interesting…have I missed how much until now?
He opens his eyes, sitting in his bed now, adjusting his glasses. I will make the most of what I am experiencing from now on! I finally started seeing things both Kana `Neesan and Haruka tried to tell me for so long while I was being a real dumb one. For them both, but also for myself, I will move and experience life as it should be. I may even try something related to what really interests me since a long time ago. This Todai thing was a shame from the start and my attitude is not even something I should dwell much into. Sure the Promise idea still rings a bell within me, not for Narusegawa though…she surely made a nice work on killing whatever I could feel for her…but yet romance is something I always loved. Maybe I will be able to make and fulfill a really valid promise some day, with a woman that truly loves me and that I truly love back. When that comes, it comes. I just can't carry on living focusing on things the way I did up to now.
Keitaro stands, looking to the sky visible through the balcony's door. Time to wake up. Truly wake up and start caring about me and the things I want! And the people that really cares about me.
He suddenly slaps his head, remembering Haruka's call. SHIT! I should have called her already. It has been only 2 days, but I bet she wants to know how I am. The way I left I bet made her worried. And I said I would call back yesterday.
He hurries to the phone, hoping she would be there now. He wanted to go out with Tsuruko soon, and that meant he would take a while to get back, and he did not want to call Haruka much later in the day. Not after already having not called back the previous night. Not that he feared Haruka's reaction. He respected her a lot, but more than that, she is a dear one to him, as well as his older sister, and he was intent on no longer being a reason for their worry. They already did so much for him. It was time to finish being a reason for their worrying.
He sees now that they never doubted him and always considered him as family and friend, and he should have given more consideration to them, and not to those rejecting him, be it Family or friends.
...

At the same time, on Hinata Sou - Haruka's Tea House.
Haruka was a bit grumpy this morning. The girls told her Keitaro phoned yesterday, and that he would call back later…
She waited, but the boy never called back.
Damned timing from Keitaro yesterday! My luck, he phoned when I was out! Thinks Haruka while drinking hot, pure coffee.
She waited, trying to imagine what to say over the situation now about Todai and this matter of Test Revision, but he did not phone again.Ah, Keitaro! And what will you do with this information?
She starts her chores at her Shop, but her mind was still on the situation, and to what could become a really touchy matter if what she feared was remotely true. Anyway, I hope that whatever comes ahead we can solve without too many problems. There were enough already to really upset me. Now I am really starting to get pissed of. The fact that she could have gotten Keitaro's contact the previous day was making her even grumpier.
Haruka was still worried about what she verified at Todai the day before. But she knew that to take any further actions, she had to talk with Keitaro. Well, while I am unable to do much over that specific matter right now, I can do a lot around here, keeping a close eye on Hinata Sou. She smiles thinly at this thought. A rather dangerous smile, not a really friendly one.
Those who knew Haruka would know to give her a wide berth while she was at her present mood.

MOVING FORWARD
Chapter X
End