Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Winter Rose ❯ Fifteenth Petal: Kyoto and the Big Tree ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Winter Rose

Fifteenth Petal: Kyoto and the Big Tree

Love Hina is owned by Ken Akamatsu. All copyrights and legal papers are belonging to him ^_^.

====================================

Fifteenth Petal: Kyoto and the Big Tree

"Well, we'd best be going." Keitaro was talking to Naru about three days later in the courtyard of Hinata Sou. Motoko was at the base of the stairs, waiting for Keitaro to finish talking with Naru.

Motoko had fully recovered from her fever, and she was going to Kyoto together with Keitaro to face her sister. But, as well as she might seem, she was hurt deeply inside, wound that can't seem to heal no matter what she did.

"Um, Kei, what about Hiroaki?" Naru asked.

"Well, if you can please try your hardest to persuade him to come to Kyoto." Keitaro said. "We have to bring them back together. I can't bear to see them in this state."

"Alright." Naru sighed. "But, I don't know, okay?"

"As long as you tried, it's OK." Keitaro said, moving away. "Well, gotta be going now. We have a train to catch."

"Um, Kei..." Naru called out weakly. Keitaro looked up to her. "Be careful, okay?"

"Wow, Naru caring about me?" Kaitaro said. "What's next, The sky falls?"

"Shut up." Naru said. "I just want you and Motoko to come back safe, okay?"

"If you say so." Kaitaro said. "Ja, ne."

Keitaro turned his back and joined Motoko.

"You ready?"

"Hai."

"Don't you want to... say goodbye to Hiro before we go?"

"No..."

"Is there a problem, Motoko-chan?"

"N-not at all... I... just don't feel like it."

"Okay..." Keitaro said. "But, seriously, Motoko-chan, if you have something you need to get off your chest, please feel free to tell me about it."

"What do you mean, off my chest?" Motoko asked. "Are you up to something again, Urashima?"

"No! It's a figure of speech, okay?" Keitaro said as he covered himself from an impending blow.

"I know. I'm just joking." Motoko said. "Anyway, thank you for accompanying me."

"Think nothing of it." Keitaro said as he entered Haruka's teashop. "Aunt Haruka, we're going, okay?"

"Just... be careful." Haruka replied, smoking a fresh stick of cigarette. "Anyway, how long do you think you will be gone?"

"I don't actually know." Keitaro said. "Maybe for a few days if all is well. Please take care of things while I'm not around."

"Of course, what do you expect anyway?" Haruka said. "Let those girls starve and die?"

"Arigatoo, Haruka-san. We'll be leaving now."

"Take care, Keitaro."

Keitaro moved outside and he met with a firm-looking Motoko.

"Let's go..."

"Motoko-chan, seriously, if you want, we can still

=========================

Vincent was again sitting cross-legged on the rooftop, viewing the city and sea beyond.

He saw Keitaro and Motoko leaving, most likely to Kyoto and defeat Tsuruko.

/I should help her.../

/Then again... I might just be a disadvantage to her.../

Motoko was avoiding him, and he knew that she needed for him to give her some space. He didn't know what to do make everything alright again, and he never might.

But, what hurt him the most was to see Motoko in tears, and he was unable to comfort her. He was so close, and yet, his touch could never reach her, as he tried his best so that they could not see each other.

Tears formed in his eyes as he thought of the times he and Motoko had shared. Every happy moment flashed before him.

/Anne... I tried.../

/But... I failed.../

/No... there is no happiness in this world for me.../

Vincent buried his face in his hands. He knew that he should have just closed his heart to everyone and just died alone. That way, he could hurt no one no more. That way, the pain inside could not have intensified.

"H-Hiro-kun?" he heard a voice say.

Vincent looked up and saw Narusegawa by his side.

"Naru-san... it's you..." he said weakly. "Is there a problem?"

"No, it's nothing about me." Naru said. "It's about you, Hiro-kun.I'm really worried about you... you... haven't eaten well, and you stay here day in and out. You might get sick."

"I... just let me die." Hiro said. "I'm a cursed man. I don't deserve to live."

"No! Don't say that!" Naru said. "You may have made mistakes in the past, but it's in the past! Don't let that control you! You have to move on. And Motoko, she needs you more than anything in this world. Please... please be there and be strong for her..."

"I..." Vincent began to say slowly. "... thank you for your words, Naru... but... don't tell me how to feel..."

Naru was shocked by these words. Slowly, she backed away from him, and when she found the strength to stand up, she turned away from him.

"Hiro-kun... please... don't do this to yourself...." She said as she left via the door.

Vincent was alone again, the way he wants to be.

He resumed staring into blank space, and wishing he would just eventually lose his life and hurt anyone no more.

===========================

"So, any luck?" Haruka asked Naru later that morning.

They were seated inside Haruka's teashop, discussing Vincent's behavior.

"No... he's still as depressed and as stubborn as he is." Naru sighed. "AT this point, I think it's an impossible case."

"No, not really." Haruka replied. "Just give him some more time and that'll do it."

"But time is something we don't have right now, Haruka-san." Naru replied. "It might be too late..."

"I just hope it's not..." Haruka said, disposing a burned-out cigarette and reaching for a new one.

"I hope so to..." Naru said.

========================.

Shinobu Maehara had just finished rinsing the clothes and went up to the deck to hang them dry. She had gotten to the deck when she saw Vincent sitting there, looking at the horizon.

"Ohaiyoo, Hiro-sempai..." she greeted him.

No answer. Vincent was still staring at blank space.

Shinobu put down the load of clothes she was carrying, and sat next to him. "Giro-sempai.. This about Motoko-sempai, isn't it?"

For some time, there was silence. Finally, deciding not to be rude, Vincent broke the silence. He isghed heavily first, and then began to speak slowly.

"Motoko... she's the only person I've for like this in such a long time. I... I don't want to lose her, but, I might end up hurting her more. I'm... I'm both afraid of letting her go, and hurting her if I hold on. Stupid, isn't it? I... I guess I'll just forget about her... and then, I'll just move back to Boston and just let myself die alone. I... I'm sorry I had to tell you all this, Shinobu... but... I don't know what to do."

More silence. Finally, Shinobu spoke up.

"Hiro-sempai... there's something I want to tell you..." Shinobu began.

"What is it?"

"It's about me... I... ever since I met Urashima-sempai, I have always loved him."

"You... love Keritaro, huh?"

"Hai." Shinobu said. "But... Naru... and Mutsumi are closer to his heart than I can ever be... it hurt a lot when I realized that. So... as much as I loved Urashima-sempai, I knew he couldn't love me back the same way... because there is someone else in his heart. But, if it makes Urashima-sempai happy, then it's okay.

"Then, you came into the picture, Hiro-sempai. You were the almost the same person as Urahima-sempai... handsome, smart and caring, though you were a bit cold at first. I... I wanted to be close to you... because I saw Urashima-sempai in you. I hoped that you could feel the same for me...

"But... unfortunately, Motoko-sempai captured your heart. I... I didn't really want to accept it at first, because I thought it was so unfair... I wanted you... but she..."

"Shinobu-chan, I didn't know..."

"It's okay, Hiro-sempai..." Shinobu said with a smile. "I... realized that you two were truly made for each other. So, please don't let her go... you know that she loves you very much, so..."

"Shinobu-chan... thank you..." Vincent said and embraced Shinobu. "Thanks... I didn't know what to do, but... thank you for helping me see..."

Afterwards, he stood up and was about to go down the stairs when he turned around and asked her, "Do you need some help with the laundry?"

"No, Hiro-sempai. I'll be just fine."

"Okay..."

Vincent made a mad dash down, and didn't stop until he found himself in front of Haruka's teashop.

"Haruka-san... I'm going to Kyoto."

"Eh?" Haruka and Naru were still chatting when Vincent entered.

"I... I'm going to Kyoto to help Motoko." Vincent said with conviction. "I... I..."

"Cool down, Hiro." Naru said. "If you're going to Kyoto, I'm coming with you."

"Naru-san... thank you..."

"Okay, but we'll leave tomorrow in the morning, okay? I need to fix a few things before we go."

"Fine." Vincent said. "One day won't hurt... I think..."

/Wait for me, Motoko... I'll be there for you.../

=================================

"No, no! This isn't working out!" Motoko sighed, falling to her knees.

"No, Motoko-chan! Don't give up!" Keitaro said, kneeling by her side. "We have to defeat Tsuruko, no matter what! But we can't defeat her if you give up now!"

Keitaro and Motoko woke up that early morning so Motoko could begin her training. Tsuruko had given them three days to prepare themselves, both Motoko and Keitaro, and then they could challenge Tsuruko in a duel.

"You can use any means of combat you wish. You must defeat me fairly in a duel within or after three days. If you win, I shall let you become a student of the Shinmei School again."

"And... if we lose?" Motoko said, expecting the worst.

"Then... you... and your friend over there... are to wed."

"Kei... I... I'm sorry I dragged you into this..."

"It's alright, Motoko-chan." Keitaro said. "It's not your fault."

"But... Kei... what if..."

"We lose tomorrow?" Keitaro cut her off. "I... I don't know if we can win, but if we don't... it's not so bad..."

"But... Narusegawa..."

"I don't want to think about it at the moment. But, if we do lose to Tsuruko, then... I guess..."

The two had stopped their conversation when Motoko's 4-year old niece, Nanami, approached the two.

"Motoko-obasan, someone wants to see yoo."

"Who could it be...?"

"It's two people... a man and a woman. Am I a good girl?" Akiko said.

"Hai, Nanami." Motoko said, placing a hand on her niece's head. "A good girl. You go inside while I go see who they are, okay?"

"Hai!" Nanami said and ran off.

"Who could it be...?" Motoko thought out loud.

"I... I guess I know who they might be..." Keitaro told her.

Sure enough, when the two approached the gate, they saw Vincent and Naru there.

"Konnichiwa, Keitaro, Motoko." Naru greeted them. But Vincent was silent he stole a glimpse at Motoko, who also gave him a slight glance.

Their eyes met, if only for a millisecond's fraction. They then looked away from each other.

"Um... Hiro-san... Naru-chan, please come inside I shall inform Tsuruko about you being here." Keitaro said as he ran off.

"Hey, wait for me!" Naru said as she went after him.

Vincent and Motoko were left there, alone.

He wanted so much to say something to her... anything that could break the silence. But he wasn't able to. He didn't have the courage to speak.

A voice inside Motoko was urging her to pour out her feelings to Vincent: how much she felt for him, the hurt she felt when she saw him with Narusegawa, and how she needed him. But, she couldn't bear to talk to him. In fact, she was unaware that Nanami was there until her niece tugged on her gi.

"Motoko-obasan? Motoko-obasan, do you want to play?"

=========================

"AND YOU JUST AGREED!?" Naru shrieked.

"I... I didn't have any option at that time.." Keitaro said weakly. "I... I'm sorry."

"Don't you understand how serious this is!? Marriage is not just something you do everyday! For most people, it's sacred!"

Keitaro had filled Naru and Vincent in on Tsuruko's conditions. While Naru was fuming about it, Vincent only looked on silently, and didn't seem to mind much.

"I already told you I'm sorry!" Keitaro said defensively. "I... I just wanted to help Motoko out, that's all."

"Kei is right..." Motoko said. "This... everything... was all my fault. He only wanted to help me like a good friend. Please... don't be angry at him for doing such."

Naru was cut short by these words, her mouth open, but no words were coming out.

"You... you... IDIOT!" she said sharply as she stormed out of the living room.

Vincent wasn't paying too much attention to the their conversation as he was busy playing with Nanami.

"GAHAHAHAHA!!! I am the evil dark beast who east little girls! And I will eat YOU!!!" Vincent said as Nanami ran while laughing.

"Ha! Yoo'll have to catch mee, first! And I know the SHIN-MEI Style! I'll use the ZAN-KOO-SAN on yoo!!!"

"GAAAAHHH!!! HELP ME!!! SAVE ME!!!" Vincent let himself be taken down by a four-year old kid, who then tickled him furiously.

Motoko took one last look at Vincent before she and Keitaro left the room to continue her training.

/I... I will grow stronger./

/But not for him.../

/I will grow stronger for myself.../

========================

Naru had stopped running. She was tired, and was very frustrated.

/How!? How could he agree to such a... a... ridiculous statement!?/

/I... I thought he loved me.../

/That idiot!/

She was still panting for breath when she heard swishes from a sword.

/Who.../

She didn't have to look far to see who it was.

Tsuruko, Motoko's sister, was standing on a rock in the middle of a stream, working on her kata.

Naru watched her for a bit, admiring her graceful and precise movements. It was then that Tsuruko has stopped training and faced her way.

"You're one of my sisters friends... Naru, right?"

"H-hai..."

========================

"Why did you make both such a ludicrous and dead serious proposal to them?" Naru asked. "Do you think of your sister as a robot!? She has feelings, you know. You can't just joke around with things like marriage."

Tsuruko and Naru were sitting cross-legged by the stream, watching the water run by. Tsuruko closed her eyes and replied in a firm voice to Naru.

"A promise is a promise. If they fail, they will exchange vows there. I... she gives me no choice. Motoko, I want her to understand how serious the way of sword is. The strength and future of the Shinmei School is in resting in her shoulders. I... want her to work really hard so she can exceed anyone here."

"But..." Naru said. "If that was what you wanted, why did you put her in such a situation?"

"I want her to understand the seriousness of this matter." Tsuruko said. "I want her to be as serious and as firm as she can. But, should she fail, I wouldn't consider it a total loss for her. That Keitaro, he is a very nice person..."

"But, can't you see that Motoko loves someone else!?" Naru blurted out. "She's torn between becoming a sword master and being with the person she loves most! What about Hiroaki? Don't you know how many people you might hurt if you continue this?"

"I... I understand the matter." Tsuruko explained. "But, this is not only about testing Motoko. It's about her finding the answers to her problems."

And, without another word or glance at Naru, Tsuruko walked away.

Naru was still reflecting on what Tsuruko had said when Keitaro came running.

"Naru-chan! I... I'm glad I found you." Keiatro said, panting and collapsing in front of her. "I... I'm sorry about all this..."

"No, you're not!" Naru answered. "You had the power to stop Tsuruko, Keitaro Urashima! But why didn't you!?"

"Naru... I..."

"Unless... you also have feelings for Motoko!" Naru gasped. "No... how could you!? You know how much Hiroaki loves her!"

"No! It's not like that at all!" Keitaro said, a hint of anger in his tone. "I... I just want to help her, that's all! You... Motoko... Shinobu... Kitsune... Su.... Mustumi... I want to be there to help you all..."

"Then, why don't you just marry Motoko if you wanted to help her so much in the first place!?" Naru gasped at her own fit. She then tried to apologize softly, but Keitaro cut her off.

"Naru-chan... it's true that you, and everyone had become a part of me that I see you not just as friends, but as my family. But, please don't misunderstand it for something else." Keitaro took a deep breath before continuing. "I've already told you how much I love you, and nothing will change that. What I mean is... no matter what happens, it'll still be you here in my heart, Naru Narusegawa."

Naru looked on with sad eyes as Keitaro sighed and stood up and began to leave.

"Keitaro... wait..." Naru said.

Keitaro turned around to see Naru throwing herself at him.

"I... Keitaro Urashima... I... I'm sorry..." Naru sobbed.

"It's alright..." Keitaro said. "But, one thing, Naru-chan. Do you love me?"

"Yes, I love you, Keitaro!"

Motoko Aoyama was behind a large Sakura tree, trying to find Keitaro when she heard every word of their conversation.

/Why...?/

/Why am I feeling this way?/

/I should be happy for the two of them... yet.../

/I've felt this way before.../

/Back then... when ane-ue married.../

/I.. I am in love with Keitaro... but.../

/It's wrong.../

/He loves Narusegawa.../

/And Hiroaki..../

/I... I don't know.../

"Kami, what do I do!?"

=========================

Vincent was playing hide and seek with Akiko (with him as the it) when he found that he took a wrong turn. He had been walking for some time, until he heard the running of water.

When he decided to investigate, he found a small stream, from which he washed his face. He looked around and saw that it was going to grow dark soon. He had to find his way, or he would get lost for sure. He was trying to find directions when he heard someone's voice.

"Kami, what d I do!?"

Vincent rushed to what seemed to be the direction of the voice, and he froze when he found it was Motoko.

"M-Motoko... chan..."

"H-Hiro... san..."

The two looked at one another for a period of time, before their eyes drifted off away from each other.

/I... Motoko.../

"Motoko-chan..." Vincent began. "I... I want to help you..."

Motoko wasn't looking at him, and was looking the other way. She soon began to walk away.

Vincent ran after her, and held her shoulder. "M-Motoko-chan... please talk to me... was there... something I did?"

"WHAT DID YOU DO!? WHAT DID YOU DO!? You..." Motoko cried to him. "You kissed Narusegawa! How should I feel after you did that!?" She faced him, with tears shining in her face.

"I..." Now he understood. "Motoko-chan... this is all a big mistake... I... that was nothing..." Motoko still looked at him angrily. "I...I must admit that the kiss... felt good. But, it didn't feel right. The way it is with you..."

Motoko's face changed from anger to sorrow. "I... I'm sorry..."

"The reason I came here..." Vincent said. "Was to tell you... that I can't live without you... Motoko-chan... I... I can't... I don't... I'm not strong enough to let you go!"

Vincent broke down and fell on all fours. "I... I'm scared... I... I can't do it..." He said between sobs. "Please... I... I need you... I don't want to let go... I don't want to be alone again... I'd rather die than lose you... Please... don't leave me..."

Motoko was shocked by all this. Her Hiro-chan did love her, and she jeopardized this by asking him to let go. She quickly fell beside him and hugged him close to her. She could feel him shaking as she held him close to her chest. "Hiro-chan! Yes... I'll never leave you..." she said, her tears falling like crystal drops on his hair.

"Motoko-chan..." she heard him say, his voice a bit muffled by her gi. "I... I'll do my best... to protect you... My life is yours..."

"Shh..." Motoko whispered calmly, motioning him to say no more. "Hiro-chan... never again... I promise you... I'll do... my very best... to defeat ane-ue... so we can be together..."

"And... I'll be there... to protect you..."

Vincent rose his face to hers, and took in the sweetness of her lips. He then closed his eyes, and thought of nothing more, as he enjoyed her warm embrace.

Motoko was taken aback by his sudden movement, but then eased out and returned the kiss. She had missed it ever since she had tried to distant herself away from him.

/But no more.../ she thought.

Vincent broke away from her lips (and yet so soon, they both thought), and rested his head on her shoulder. "Motoko-chan... what if.... you and Keitaro lose tomorrow?"

"Then... I... must admit defeat. A promise... is a promise."

"I... see..."

"But... no matter what... I mustn't lose... I must... defeat her..."

"I... know you will.." Vincent whispered against her ear. "And... I'm sorry you had to see this side of me... I... I felt so helpless..."

"It's alright..." Motoko said. "I'm happy you did... my Hiro-koishii..."

And there, underneath the sakura tree they stayed for a period of time unmeasured. The moon had fully risen when they had decided to return to the Shinmei dojo.

=========================

Author's Notes:

YAWN!!! Tired, tired, and tired. I got myself a good job today (though a part-tine job, but hey, it's pays!). It's about encoding data of a remittance center, and they pay a good $8.00 and hour, too. Well, may be good news for me, but bad news for you guys, as I will hence become even slower in updating my fanfics. According to my sked, the only free day I've got is Sunday (which is, 7 hours Mon-Fri, then 5 hours during Saturdays), so expect most of the update to happen during that day.

Speaking of updates, I'm so, so sorry I failed to update this for about 3 weeks in a row! I had to do a lot of things with regards to college and job applications, so I could help my parents. Help them in what way? Help them in such a way that I'll just spend me own money in buying games and accessories for my PC and consoles!

Okay, that is all. See you next time.

Oh, wait! Let me ask you one thing: DO YOU THINK I NEED TO HIRE MUSES? These Author notes aren't really very exciting when you're all alone.

=========================

Love Hina © Ken Akamatsu