Loveless Fan Fiction ❯ Flawless ❯ Death Throes ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Once they were back at Soubi's home, all of them, even Kio, worked quickly to save the dying teenager. Her wounds were quickly and neatly bandaged and they stopped most of the bleeding. It was not until later that she began to cough up blood.
“Sou-chan. See this? Her internal organs are bleeding. You have to get her to the hospital or she might die.”
“Do you know the way?”
“What?”
“Do you know the way to the hospital?”
“Well of course, Sou-chan, it would be stupid to live in a city this big without knowing… What are you doing?!”
“She needs to be at the hospital,” Soubi replied in a maddeningly calm voice.
“Put me down,” a small, choked voice whispered. “Don't move me anywhere… just let me stay here.”
“Haruka,” Kio said gently, “trust us. You were hurt and need to see someone more qualified than… him.” He pointed to Soubi as he spoke, though only Ritsuka seemed to care.
“Soubi… Ritsuka… I need to talk to you alone,” she whispered, ignoring Kio. Soubi firmly led his college friend out of the house whilst Ritsuka thanked him for his help, playing along.
Once Kio was gone, both of them began to question her.
“Why won't you get treatment? Do you want to die?” That was Ritsuka.
“You know, if you die, it becomes Ritsuka's duty to die as well, and if he dies, I will.” That was Soubi.
“Shut up, both of you,” Haruka rasped, a trickle of blood coming from the side of her cracked lips. When they obliged her, she continued. “If I die, Ritsuka, you should stay alive with Soubi. He can protect you from Nagisa-sensei. She thinks… she thinks-” Haruka was interrupted by a fit of coughing. “Nagisa-sensei sees this as a game to try and beat Ritsu-sensei. Ritsu has no faith left in me, I'm afraid,” she finished with a wry smile. “But if you look in my bag… there's a bottle of pills… get those for me, Rit-chan.”
“What are they?” Soubi asked once the boy left the room.
“Medicine for the Zero-series. They'll heal me, if they don't kill me first. They're designed for the physiology of a Zero-class fighter or sacrifice. They hurt terribly to use - in other humans they've been fatal - but-” and she coughed again, then continued, “…but they're designed to speed the healing process up enough that a sacrifice can survive a fatal injury, if given a day to live. These were designed by Nagisa-sensei because you kept beating up on the Zero units sent to get rid of you.”
“You're sure that you'll be alright?”
“No.” Speaking in hushed tones, she handed something to Soubi with a quiet nod, and when Ritsuka entered the room holding her bag, he seemed confused. “Thanks, Rit-chan,” she murmured, flashing him a smile. Pulling out three small capsules, she swallowed them and bid them goodnight. Soubi remained, stroking her blonde hair until he fell asleep.
—-loveless—-
“Soubi-san?” Ritsuka entered the room quietly. It was early in the morning, and the sun hadn't risen yet. Soubi was sleeping lightly, and woke up immediately when he heard his sacrifice's light footfalls.
“Come here, Ritsuka.” He took the boy into his arms, pressing a small package into his hands. “Haruka wanted you to have this,” he murmured in Ritsuka's ear. “Open it.”
The box contained a leather necklace band with the word `Loveless' engraved into it, much like the ones that Ryougi and Ichirou wore. Hanging off the front of it was a charm of a butterfly with blue wings… Soubi's butterfly.  A picture of the three lay underneath the small gift - it was before the fight in the Under-city, before Ritsuka knew that there were people after them again. A tear slid down his cheek as he looked at the body on the bed, unmoving and cold. It looked like she was just sleeping, though he knew otherwise - she was dead because of the damage she had caused.
“Why?”
That one word hung in the still air for minutes that stretched into what felt like hours, until Soubi found his voice to reply.
“Because she loved you.”