Lupin III Fan Fiction ❯ Daddy's Girl ❯ Denial ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Daddy's Girl

By Bekka Mouri-Hibiki

(Lupin isn't mine and neither is the Golden Gun. Goemon tell Jigen what he thinks and Jigen doesn't like it while Lupin gets some clues from an informant.)

Part Seven: Denial

" And she asked you to help? " Goemon arched an eyebrow. Jigen had gone to his place after lunch to tell him about Fujiko's request. He seemed reluctant to believe the gunman after he was told of Fujiko's request.

" Yeah, " Jigen nodded. He was rocking back and forth on his feet because Goemon has strictly forbidden him from smoking in his house and it had been a long while since his last cigarette. It was only a logical request since it was a traditional style house with rice paper screens and tatami mats. Jigen tried not to notice the scorch marks on the far wall from the last time he had been there and missed as he tried to flick his cigarette out the door.

" Hmmm, " Goemon looked at the floor. " Perhaps I let her hit her head on the floor one too many times this morning. I should have told her to stop doing that. "

" She's genuinely scared, " Jigen took a small step backward. " Can we take this outside? I really need to smoke. "

" It is a weak man that can be ruled by such a small thing, " Goemon said sternly.

" Cram it, " Jigen muttered. " It's the only thing that helps me keep my nerves together. I'd quit if I could. "

" You know that is a lie, " Goemon stated as he stood to his feet. " I need to feed the koi so yes we can go outside. "

Jigen reached into his jacket and pulled out a cigarette as he turned towards the door; " She said she swore to shoot herself in the head before asking me for help. I'm thinking she did hurt herself this morning. "

" The two of your are very melodramatic, " Goemon muttered as he picked up the container of fish food. " You fight like a couple that has been married for years. "

" Bite your tongue. I'd sooner stay a bachelor until I'm a hundred than marry a bitch like that, " Jigen had his cigarette lit before he was completely out the door.

" I feel that you are in denial, " Goemon stepped out on the porch with Jigen. He glanced at him, " If you hated her as much as you claim, you would not be helping her. "

" I'm only doing it because I have to. I know a lot more than I should because of that damn blanket and she can't tell Lupin. If she did, he'd be pissed. After this, I'll never help her again, " Jigen followed Goemon as he walked towards one of the three large koi ponds.

" That is what you wish to believe, " Goemon said as he threw a handful of fish food into the water. Within seconds, varied shades of shimmering gold and white splashed at the surface of the water as several sucker mouths started vying for the wheat colored pellets.

" Aren't those things a pain in the ass? " Jigen motioned towards the fish. " How many do you have anyway? "

" Three hundred in each pond, " Goemon commented as he threw another handful of pellets into the water. " They aren't mine though. They came with the house. The woman who owns this property is paying me to keep them up. She sells them. "

" Figures. "

" What figures? " Goemon arched an eyebrow.

" I knew a woman had to be involved, " Jigen held out his pinky finger. " So, are you trying to impress your way into her heart? She must be pretty cute. "

" For an eighty two year old, she is quite charming, " Goemon could help but smile at Jigen's totally flabbergasted expression. " She is an old family friend of Lupin's. She asked me to watch over the house about the time I started getting fed up with all the fighting at Lupin's. She is in Hokkaido visiting her grandchildren. "

" Friggin' boy scout, " Jigen muttered. " If you helped out women that were closer to your own age, you wouldn't need to wrestle wildcats on the kitchen floor. "

" What was I supposed to do? " Goemon said. " She started throwing things and it was only a matter of time before she reached for the knives. "

" That's true. The thought of her with sharp objects would scare a commando to death. "

There was a long silence as they walked to the other ponds. As they arrived at the last pond, Goemon glanced at Jigen. " Did she say what time she would be meeting him? "

" Yeah. She said eleven, " Jigen sighed.

" You sound like you are concerned something might go wrong, " Goemon said as he put the lid back on the fish food.

" You never know when Fujiko is involved. She might screw it up, " Jigen shrugged as he let his cigarette fall to the ground. He ground it out with his foot as he watched the baby koi in the pond nibble at the food pellets. He reached into his jacket and got out another cigarette then lit it.

" I sense there may be more to it, " Goemon said as he watched the fish as well. He glanced at Jigen, " You are genuinely concerned for Fujiko's well-being. "

" And I think you've had too much of your homebrewed sake, " Jigen replied. " If you think I give a rat's ass about that little bitch, you're mistaken. "

" Then let's forgo going into the woods tonight. If you do not care then it is unnecessary to do so. Let her fend for herself, " Goemon was shocked when Jigen snapped his head up.

" I'm doing this for Lupin, " Jigen growled through clenched teeth. " He'd kill me if she got killed and found out I could have done something to prevent it. "

" So you are only doing this for your friend? " Goemon said as he retained his stoic composure.

" Yes, " Jigen nodded. " I can't tell him what's going on because the bitch was going to literally screw him out of that gun. "

" Wouldn't it make it his problem if you told him instead of taking this burden upon yourself? Didn't you once say it is futile to do favors for ungrateful people? " Goemon's tone was slowly changing.

" What would you do in my position? " Jigen asked.

Goemon looked down at the water, " I believe you know the answer to that. "

" I'm not psychic but since you are such a boy scout, you'd probably be out there tonight. "

" If you are saying I'm a honorable man then yes. That is why I am going, " Goemon said. " I do not approve of Fujiko's methods but her life is on the line. However, you are no knight in shining armor. I feel the need to question your motives to help someone you hate so much. "

Jigen waved his left hand in the air, " I told you. I'm too deep into it. The guy has The Golden Gun and that's what we're after. I can't tell Lupin because then he'll find out the bitch is trying to screw him over. "

" You say that as if you are trying to convince yourself, not me. Could it be that you care for her and it scares you? " Goemon's tone sounded steadfast as if he had decided his words were the truth.

" If I didn't know so much, I'd tell her to go fuck herself and kiss my ass. Christ, Goemon. Do you know she slept with this guy the first night she met him? " Jigen glared at Goemon. " Fucking shit, she doesn't even know his name. "

" She much more disreputable than I allowed myself to believe, " Goemon blushed slightly. " I didn't think she was quite that easy. "

" Yeah. She's easy when some guy has money up to his eyeballs or something she wants. She strings Lupin along waving her tail feathers in his face then gets insulted when he wants to screw her. She uses her pussy as her weapon when it comes to him, " Jigen was going into full rant mode.

" Settle down. You're scaring the fish, " Goemon motioned to the wave of retreating koi. The tiny fish were pushing their food pellets ahead of them as they moved to what they felt was a safer spot.

" Fuck the fish, " Jigen said. " That little cunt has got me so pissed off right now I can't see straight. I'm so sick and tired of her falling headlong into trouble then expecting us to help her. "

" I'll ask you again, " Goemon narrowed his eyes. " Why are you so mad if you don't care about her? "

Jigen took a deep breath then let it out, " Damn it. I don't know. I guess I'm scared one of her stupid stunts will get us all killed one of these days. "

" Then let her die, " Goemon said simply. He didn't seem like he meant it but his tone was too indifferent to tell for sure.

" I can't, " Jigen took a long drag off of his cigarette.

" Why not? "

Jigen exhaled the smoke and shook his head, " Lupin would be heartbroken. I can't do that to him. I wouldn't be able to take the whining. "

" You can say it is for Lupin all that you want but I believe there is more to it than you will even to admit to yourself, " Goemon turned to face the house.

" I know what you're getting at. I don't give a damn about her and she can go get herself killed for all I fucking care! " Jigen growled. " She needs to learn how to get herself out of the messes she gets into. "

" Then there is no need to be out there tonight, " Goemon looked over his shoulder. He smirked slightly, " That is unless... "

" Stop it! We're just going in fucking circles! " Jigen moved so he could look Goemon in the eyes. " If you have something to say then say it or shut the hell up! "

" If you wish to hear what I think then I will tell you. You will not like it. "

" Say it already! " Jigen screamed.

" I believe that you do have feelings for Fujiko and you are so scared by the idea, you will do anything in your power not to admit it to yourself or anyone else. You want to help her but are producing some of the feeblest reasons I have ever heard in my life. Daisuke Jigen, you're scared that you might actually be caring for Fujiko and her wellbeing! " Goemon finished his statement, silence falling around both him and Jigen.

Locusts buzzed around them, the slapping sound of the fish in the ponds and the breeze rattling the trees were the only other things making noise. The two men stared at each other, the tension building in the air around them. " You know what? " Jigen took his cigarette out of his mouth and dropped it to the ground before grinding out with the toe of his shoe.

" What? " Goemon asked but was taken by surprise when Jigen shoved him into the koi pond with a hard push to the chest. He hit the water and went under, getting soaked before sitting up in the water. He wiped away a few wisps of algae, anger brewing in his veins. " What was that for? " He hissed as the braver koi in the pond swam over to investigate the intrusion.

" You were right. I didn't like your answer, " Jigen said before turning on his heel and leaving the garden. He was prepared for the samurai to chase after him but was surprised when he didn't. He didn't bother to look back as he walked around to the front of the house and got into the Benz.

**

Lupin reached over and picked up the phone when it started ringing. " Happy Hills Mortuary, You stab 'em we slab 'em. What can I do you for? " He said in a disturbingly cheery voice.

" I see you still have no phone etiquette, " The woman at the other end of the line responded.

" I can't answer 'Lupin residence, home of the world's greatest thief', now can I? " Lupin chuckled. " What you got for me, my noodle slinging sweetheart. "

" Is it so hard for you to call me by my name? " The woman grumbled.

" I'm paying you so I can call you whatever I want doll, " Lupin said.

The woman sighed in resignation, " That is quite true. Something I think you'll find interesting happened when Pops came in for lunch. "

" How is Zenigata? " Lupin said in a caring tone. " I do worry about him so. I bet he's going nuts since I haven't done anything in a while. "

" He's the same. Actually, it has more to do with some flaky sleaze ball your favorite ICPO officer struck up a conversation with. You know that guy I gave you the picture of right? "

" The one you said has The Golden Gun? " Lupin pulled the picture out of his shirt pocket.

" Yeah. You know how he was making a date to see some woman last week so she could see the gun? " The waitress replied. She had actually been the one who had alerted Lupin to The Golden Gun's presence.

" Yes. If I remember correctly, the man had flat out said he had the Golden Gun to the woman on the phone, " Lupin flipped the picture around and around again in his fingers.

" No. The guy on the phone was making the call for the actual guy that has the gun. Did you listen to the whole story? " The waitress' tone sounded like that of a mother scolding a non-attentive child.

" Okay. It was someone else making the date. Is this picture the right guy though? " Lupin was afraid he had the wrong guy.

" That's the right guy. He paid the guy that made the date after he got off the phone. I snapped that picture as he relaxed after the phone caller left. Now, can we get to the reason I called instead of backtracking to last week? "

" I'm just getting my facts straight. Please tell me why you called, " Lupin set the picture down and grabbed a cigarette. He lit it as the woman started to tell him the information.

" Pops came in and sat in his usual place but he freaked out because the Man With The Golden Gun was on the phone in the corner. I know he thought it was Jigen in a crappy disguise. In fact, he accused him of being Jigen. "

" Pops needs his eyes checked, " Lupin muttered.

" I agree with him actually. Well, Jigen is a lot more handsome but don't tell him I said that, " The waitress replied.

" I can still fix you two up if you want, " Lupin offered. " He's still single. "

" Ha. My husband would have a fit, " The waitress scoffed. " Anyway, he had a very interesting conversation with the old man. He said he was trying to get a hold of his girlfriend… and he said his name. "

" Jeez, " Lupin rolled his eyes. " He actually introduced himself to Pops? "

" The name is Chamberlain and he does talk too much. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the girlfriend is the woman he wanted to show the gun to, " The waitress said then her tone became hushed. " You know the name… Fujiko Mine. "

" You're shitting me, " Lupin was shocked. He didn't know Fujiko was dating someone… then again; he never really did unless she told him.

" Chamberlain told Zenigata her name too and said he's been meeting her at your place, " The waitress said.

" Shit, " Lupin muttered. " Thanks a lot, Mishi. I don't know what I would do without you sometimes. I got to run and set up a booby trap in the woods. I think I know where they've been meeting but I thought it was teenagers. "

" He's not seeing her tonight, " Mishi said quickly. " He was saying he had to cancel their date. "

" Then I'll set it up for tomorrow night, " Lupin said. " Like I said, thanks a lot. You're one of my best contacts. I'd love to take you to dinner. "

" My husband's biceps are bigger than your head, " Mishi laughed. " He'd squash you like a bug. He'd just sit on you and snap you in half. "

" That's right… he's a sumo wrestler, " Lupin sighed.

" Yeah, " Mishi chucked. " I do appreciate the offer though. "

" No problem, " Lupin said. " Call me if you hear anything else. "

" I will, " Mishi said. " And don't forget to send the check to the restaurant. "

" I won't forget. Bye now, " Lupin said and hung up the phone. As the receiver clicked into the cradle, he heard the unmistakable sound of the Benz pulling into its spot in front of the house. He waited as he heard the front door open then slammed shut. He counted from five to one silently then yelled, " Jigen! "

" What? " Jigen growled as he stopped in front of the office door.

" Mishi called. She says you're sexy, " Lupin smirked as Jigen rolled his eyes.

" That ramen wench is just as fat as her friggin' husband, " Jigen said. " Is it too much to ask to attract a normal sized woman or am I destined to only look good to the women Queen sings about? "

" Fat bottom girls make the rockin' world go 'round, " Lupin said with a smirk.

" Whatever you say, " Jigen said as he got out a cigarette and lit it. " I suppose you are a good old-fashioned lover boy? "

" You got it, " Lupin buffed his nails on his shirt. " Gramps made sure I attended the advanced classes at the Good Old Fashioned School of Loverboys. "

" So what fancy patter did you use on the phone? " Jigen seemed like he was going to play along with Lupin's little lyric game after all.

" Zenigata had a very interesting conversation with someone this afternoon, " Lupin smiled. " She's a spiffy little spy. "

" I hope you mean little figuratively because she sure isn't little literally, " Jigen muttered.

" I've seen worse, " Lupin scoffed.

" In the sumo ring maybe, " Jigen replied.

Lupin growled, " Do you want to hear this or not? "

" Tell me what she said, " Jigen sat down on the couch and leaned back.

" Zenigata actually talked to The Man With The Golden Gun, " Lupin was surprised when Jigen sat up straight. " And he told Zenigata his name. Get this… Pops thought it was you in bad disguise. "

" What's his name? " Jigen got up and moved to a chair closer to the desk.

Lupin arched an eyebrow, " Do you think it might be someone you know? "

" You never know, " Jigen shrugged. " What's his name? "

" Chamberlain, " Lupin said. " That's the only name he gave. "

Jigen thought it over for a long moment, " Must be an alias because I've never heard the name in my travels. "

" Neither have I, " Lupin said. " I figured I would discreetly 'obtain' a copy of that movie about The Golden Gun and watch it to see if maybe we can get some clues from that. "

" And how are you going to do that? " Jigen asked.

" You know my friend that has that cousin with the uncle that works in the movie theater district, right? " Lupin leaned back in his chair. " I think he could help us out. "

" Come on, Lupin. No one just has a copy of that movie just lying around, " Jigen scoffed.

Lupin smiled, " That's what you think. Strangely enough, his theater is always 'robbed' shortly after any James Bond movie comes out and the flicks always get 'stolen'. "

Jigen grinned and nodded, " I see. It must be some huge James Bond fan or this guy's security system sucks. "

" Well, you can't depend on a security system when it's an inside job. I'm surprised the police haven't caught on to his little scam. Rumor has it he denies any knowledge of the films and keeps them for himself. "

" Then how are we going to ask him? " Jigen said.

" I'll threaten an anonymous call to the cops, " Lupin shrugged. " I've heard he's really paranoid about stuff like that. "

" How quick can you get the movie? " Jigen sat back in his chair. " It'll take a few days, right? "

" I can have it by tonight, " Lupin glanced out the window. " The guy lives pretty close by according to what I know. Should it be dinner THEN the movie or dinner AND a movie? "

" Whoa. You mean we're going to watch it tonight? " Jigen said.

" Yeah, we might as well. I don't have anything better to do. You don't have anything planned do you? " Lupin looked at Jigen.

" Not really. I have something but it isn't until eleven, " Jigen shrugged. " We could set the projector up in the dining room and do your second suggestion. "

Lupin smiled and stood up, " Great. I'll go ask Fujiko is she wants to join us. I can have the movie here by dinnertime and it will be long over before you need to go do whatever you have to do. "

" You sure you want to ask Fujiko? She's pretty wary of you in dark rooms you know, " Jigen offered. " She might even have a date tonight and say no. "

Lupin chuckled, " Interesting. You have something to do and Fujiko might have something to do. "

" What are you getting at? " Jigen tilted his fedora back so Lupin could see the look of suspicion in his eyes.

" It seems a little fishy that the both of you have made up today and now both have something to do later, that's all. "

" It's only a coincidence. It's the midnight pool tournament at the bar I go to and I'm slated to play against some slicker than owl shit hustler that's been fucking everyone out of their money, " Jigen said. It was partly true except he wasn't supposed to play until the next week.

" And what about Fujiko? " Lupin arched an eyebrow.

Jigen threw is hands in the air, " How the hell am I supposed to know? I was just saying that she might have a date. Dames like her are always going somewhere with some guy. "

Lupin nodded once, " I figured she mentioned something since you two seem like buddies now. "

" We aren't that close, " Jigen muttered then put out his cigarette in the ashtray on Lupin's desk. " We've just called a truce for now. "

" I'm actually happy you're starting to like her, " Lupin started.

" I don't like her! " Jigen shouted.

Lupin blinked in surprise at the outburst, " Aren't we a little touchy. "

" Look, " Jigen stood up. " Goemon's already accused me of caring for her today and do you want to know what happened to him? "

" Are we going to have to look for another Edo period samurai? " Lupin asked, a hint of mock dread to his voice.

" No but I bet he's still shaking goldfish out of his kimono, " Jigen walked over to Lupin. " We're just tired of fighting for right now, that's all. I guess she got freaked out when Goemon took her down to the floor like that. "

Lupin shook his head, " No. She wasn't scared at all. She knows how to get him to break no matter how tough he's trying to be. She knows how to tweak him. "

" She just manipulates him because she knows she can, " Jigen muttered.

" Now, about you. It's okay if you do like her, you know? " Lupin smirked. " You know what they say. "

" What who says? " Jigen said as he reached into his jacket for another cigarette.

" Enemies make the best lovers, " Lupin chuckled. " The way you go at each other when your vertical only begs the question... "

" Nobody fucking asked you, " Jigen growled then turned away from Lupin before exiting the room. " Damn pervert, " He muttered as he walked through the door.

" It's not like I'd actually let you touch Fujiko! " Lupin shouted. Once he was certain Jigen was out of earshot, he said to himself, " But at least I know she'd be a lot safer with you than someone else that comes to mind. "