Lupin III Fan Fiction ❯ Daddy's Girl ❯ Comtemplating ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Daddy's Girl

By Bekka Mouri-Hibiki

(Lupin isn't mine. Lupin tells Jigen they're taking Toshiko along.)

Part Fourteen: Contemplating

Jigen sat on the couch, smoking his post-supper cigarette. The television was on but he wasn't paying attention to the images on the screen. He was thinking about Toshiko's failed attempts on her life and if it would be wise to leave her alone while they went to save Fujiko.

~Maybe we can give her to Kaoruko to look after. She can take her to the movies Saturday night, ~ He thought as he ran through a mental list of safe places for the girl.

" Hey, " Lupin walked out of the kitchen. He had just finished washing the dishes and was drying his hands on a dishtowel. " Could I see you in my office for a minute? "

" Why? " Jigen turned his head so he could glance at Lupin. " Can't you tell me here? Do you know you're starting to sound like a friggin' high school principal? "

Lupin pointed up to the ceiling, " I don't want to run the chance of Toshiko coming downstairs while I'm talking to you. I want your input before I say anything to her about it. "

" I see. It has to do with her, " Jigen stood up as he put out his cigarette. " I guess we will go into the office then. Have you made some kind of decision about leaving her here alone or not? "

" You could say that, " Lupin said and tossed the dishtowel onto the buffet next to the kitchen door.

" Why don't I like the sound of that? " Jigen narrowed his eyes warily.

" Shut up and follow me, " Lupin said and walked toward the office with Jigen trailing him. Once Jigen was inside, he shut the door and walked over to the desk. A tape player/recorder was set up on the desk. " I want you to hear this. "

Jigen watched as Lupin pressed play. He listened as Zenigata argued with two people over Toshiko and how they would find her. " Hold on… you bugged Zenigata's hospital room? "

" Just listen, " Lupin pointed at the tape.

Jigen growled and listened to the other man on the tape call Toshiko 'sloppy' and say she had a smart mouth. He then belittled the girl for being mechanically inclined and able to climb. " Who the hell is that guy? " Jigen looked at Lupin.

" My guess is that is Toshiko's stepfather. She failed to mention him to me, " Lupin sighed.

" She mentioned him to me. The guy is supposedly really strict on her. She told me that she thinks she worthless. I want to belt that guy in the mouth after hearing that, " Jigen popped his knuckles.

" I can tell Pops doesn't like him either, " Lupin said. " I'd love to show that guy Toshiko is just fine the way she is. "

Jigen stopped to listen to more of the tape then looked at Lupin after he heard about Toshiko's undisclosed skills. Lupin smirked and Jigen shook his head. He pointed his finger at the smiling master thief, " I know what you're thinking and the answer is no. "

" Why not? " Lupin said. " She could fill in for Fujiko on this one minus the backstabbing. She really wants to help and she's got skills that might benefit us after all. "

" She's a kid and a cop's daughter besides, " Jigen shook his finger in Lupin's face.

" She can climb like a cat and she has mechanical skills. If she just went into Pops' workshop and took to it as quickly as her mother says then she's probably a fast learner. I could teach her some other important stuff like lock picking and slight of hand. "

" No way, " Jigen put his hand up. " I have two words for you, man. "

" And what would those be? "

" Patti Hearst. "

Lupin waved his hand, " We didn't kidnap or brainwash her and we aren't trying to create a revolution. We're trying to get Fujiko back and nail that guy for ruining your good name. "

" She's too young. "

" Yeah, she's too young to drive and too young to drink. Come on, Jigen. She's got skills we can use. Maybe she'll see what it's like and realize this isn't the life for her, " Lupin shrugged.

" Or maybe she'll think this is the greatest thing since sliced bread because that kid hates her life! She was trying to kill herself when she climbed up that tree. She got scared but she could have easily done it. When I told her she could die if she fell she said maybe she would die 'this time'. "

" 'This time'? " Lupin said. " I guess my hunch was right. "

" Your hunch about what? " Jigen furrowed his brow.

" Never mind, " Lupin waved his hand. " Who could we leave her with? "

" I say we leave her with Kaoruko or Mishi. We can't take someone as unstable as her with us on a job, " Jigen glared at Lupin.

" The girl is crying out for help and needs someone to pay attention to her. She needs someone to treat her like she is a worthwhile person and not just a pain in the ass, " Lupin countered. " I want this girl to know she can be someone! "

" Haven't we got enough going on without playing therapist to Pops' girl? " Jigen growled.

" If we leave her behind she'll do something to herself. She'll think we didn't like her and she'll try to kill herself again. She might actually succeed if she's left behind, " Lupin narrowed his eyes at Jigen. " Do you know who would be to blame if she dies? "

" Hey! Don't put this thing on me! " Jigen jerked his thumb towards himself. He got in Lupin's face; " You're the one who wanted to bring her here to begin with! "

" I couldn't just leave her in that alley! " Lupin got nose to nose with Jigen.

" You'll drag any chick home if you think you can get her in the sack! " Jigen hissed.

" I wasn't thinking about that with Toshiko! " Lupin poked Jigen hard in the chest with his index finger. " You've got a serious fucking hang up about everyone getting laid! "

" You better look in the fucking mirror pal! " Jigen poked Lupin back but harder. He pointed to the ceiling; " Tell me what was going on up there when I walked in on you two this morning! "

" I told you! It was misunderstanding! " Lupin growled as he poked Jigen back harder.

" Yeah. Whatever, " Jigen turned away from Lupin. " I've seen you try to charm too many women out of their pants to buy that bullshit story. "

" Then do you think Goemon was trying to get into her pants too? " Lupin crossed his arms.

" I just call them as I see them, " Jigen glared at Lupin over his shoulder. " If I had been just a few minutes later, he would have been kissing her. "

" I beg to differ, " Goemon said from the doorway.

Jigen looked at the samurai, " What are you doing down here? You're supposed to be watching Toshiko so she doesn't run off again! "

" She is fast asleep. Today seems to have exhausted her, " Goemon said.

" It makes sense, " Lupin shrugged. " The tree she climbed would kick a commando's ass. "

Goemon arched an eyebrow, " I heard all the shouting and decided to see what was going on. I assume Lupin's has told you his plans? "

" Yeah and I hate them. That girl needs to stay out of this, " Jigen reached into his jacket and got out a cigarette. He lit it and took a drag. He exhaled the smoke then looked at Goemon, " Please say you don't approve. "

" Actually, " Goemon looked at Lupin. " I have to agree with Lupin. She has skills we can use and I believe helping us will make her feel like she is useful. She needs someone to need her for who she is. "

" Are you sure you're over your cold? " Jigen gave Goemon a skeptical look.

" I believe I am. I think between the sauna and the medicine, I have knocked it. "

" I guess you're just plain nuts then, " Jigen shook his head. " What did Lupin say to you to make you want to let her come along? I thought you were supposed to be protecting her per Pops' request. "

" That's exactly it, " Goemon nodded. " He also explained to me that if she was left with someone else, she could make another attempt on her life. I feel Zenigata would have held me responsible if such a thing had occurred. "

" Jigen says I'd be the one responsible because I brought her here in the first place, " Lupin said. " Do you think that's true Goemon? "

Goemon arched an eyebrow at Jigen; " He couldn't have left her there. She probably would have taken her life if we had deserted her then. "

Jigen growled, " Okay… I get the damn picture. She can come along but if she dies on this job, you two are responsible for it. "

" She won't die, " Lupin smiled. " Chamberlain doesn't even know about her. "

The telephone on the desk rang, Lupin looking at it as it did. " I'm blank. Someone answer it. "

Jigen walked over and picked it up, " Yeah? "

Lupin watched as Jigen hit the button that would turn on the speaker. " Good evening gentlemen. "

" You again, " Lupin said. It was Chamberlain. " Where's Fujiko? "

" She's a little tied up at the moment but I'll pass any messages onto her if you want, " Chamberlain said smoothly.

" You better not have hurt her, " Lupin shouted.

" She's not hurt, " Chamberlain's tone turned dark. " At least, she's not hurt yet. "

Lupin growled, " What do you mean by that? "

" If you do not hurry up, she will be hurt. "

" I will have Goemon cut your heart out if you touch a hair on her head, " Lupin slammed his fist down on the desk. " He can cut it out so fast; you'll get to see it beating as you die. "

" If you threaten me, I will make sure your death is slow and painful. "

Jigen stepped forward, " How are we supposed to get to you if we don't know where you are? "

Chamberlain paused for a long moment. Lupin was scared he had hung up until he spoke again. " That is a problem isn't it? " He chuckled. " That seemed to have slipped my mind. Do you have a pen and paper handy? "

Lupin grabbed a piece of paper and a pen as he looked warily at Jigen. " I have it in my hands right now. "

" Are you familiar with the Port Of Yokohama? " Chamberlain said.

" Very, " Lupin looked at the map on the desk. The street Kaoruko had said the warehouse was on was Minato Mirai Odori Boulevard, a street that curved around and up to the warehouse district on the Port Of Yokohama as well as into another warehouse district on the opposite side of the map.

Chamberlain then gave Lupin the address. He wrote it down and nodded, " Got it. "

" Now, it is dreadfully late. Perhaps we can get this over with in the morning? " Chamberlain said. " I'm exhausted from having fun with Fujiko. "

Lupin snapped the pencil in half, " Yeah. Why don't we continue this in the morning? I'd like to be fully rested when I kick your ass. "

" The same goes for me, " Chamberlain said. " Goodnight. "

Lupin picked up the phone and put it back in the cradle. " He gave me an address that is completely the opposite of what Kaoruko gave me. "

" I see that, " Jigen took the paper from Lupin. " He may be setting up a trap for us at this place. "

" That's what I'm thinking too, " Lupin took the paper back from Jigen and tore it up.

" What do we do now? " Goemon said.

" We rest, " Lupin said. " How many room are in your house? "

Goemon arched an eyebrow, " Why do you ask? "

" We surely won't be safe here tonight. We need to have a sleepover at your place. Chamberlain doesn't know about it, " Lupin threw an arm around Goemon. " We promise to behave. "

Goemon frowned, " You do have a point but there is no smoking allowed. You'll have to smoke outside. "

" Fine by me, " Lupin looked at Jigen. " Go wake Toshiko up and tell her we're leaving. "

" Why do I have to wake her up? " Jigen looked at Goemon. " He's her bodyguard. "

" Because I said so, " Lupin smirked.

Jigen growled and left the room. Once he had gone upstairs, Goemon looked at Lupin. " Did you tell him that she likes him? "

" I'm going to let him figure that one out on his own, " Lupin replied.

**

Chamberlain glanced at Fujiko. He had untied her and given her a shirt to wear. He smirked at her, " So what now? "

" Knowing Lupin and his jealousy towards anyone else touching me, he'll behave rashly. He'll probably be here tonight instead, " Fujiko was certain of her answer. She knew Lupin would jump at the chance to get her back as quickly as possible.

" If that's so then we need to go to my other warehouse and set up the trap, " Chamberlain stood up.

" What do you mean your other warehouse? " Fujiko was surprised.

" Darling, " Chamberlain leaned into Fujiko's face. " You certainly don't think I would lead him right to this place. "

Fujiko thought about it for a moment. " No. Not really. "

" Then we shall go, " Chamberlain moved closer and kissed Fujiko. As he did so, she felt a needle prick her arm.

Fujiko pulled away, " What was that? " She hissed as she looked down and found he had injected her with something.

Chamberlain pulled away, " Insurance. I can't have you escaping while I'm gone, can I? "

" Bastard! " Fujiko hissed as she lifted her right hand to slap him across the face but stopped when he put the needle to her throat.

" I could stab you in your jugular and it will be all over, " He smirked coldly.

Fujiko let her hand fall back down to the bed, sighing in relief when he took the needle away from her throat. She felt dizzy and fell back on the bed as her world dimmed then vanished altogether.

Chamberlain lay down next to her and stroked her face. He kissed her again and whispered, " Sleep tight. "

**

Jigen stood in the doorway of Toshiko's room after he had packed the things he needed to overnight at Goemon's. He felt bad about waking the girl up after she had practically just gone to sleep but there was no helping it. Chamberlain knew where the house was and could have had the brains to plan an ambush. It wasn't very likely but the guy did know where the house was so it was a precaution they had to take.

He took a breath and stepped into the room, the hall light dimly illuminating the path to the bed, stopping short of the actual bed. He reached the bed and turned on the bedside lamp before he put a hand on Toshiko's shoulder. He shook her gently, " Hey babe. "

" Huh? " She muttered.

" You need to get up and get dressed. We're leaving. "

Toshiko bolted up, " What? What are you talking about? You guys aren't leaving me are you? "

" No, " Jigen said. " We're just going over to Goemon's for tonight. We might not be safe here. "

" Did that guy call again? " Toshiko asked as she rubbed her eyes.

" Yeah, " Jigen sighed. " I want to ask you something. "

" What's that? " Toshiko stopped rubbing her eyes.

" You said earlier that you wanted to help us but you didn't have any skills you thought could help us out. Have you thought about it and come up with anything you couldn't think about earlier? "

Toshiko looked down at the bed, " I can climb. "

" I've seen that, " Jigen said. " But is there anything else? Is there some skill you got from Pops that might be useful? "

" My daddy wasn't around to teach me anything, " Toshiko muttered quietly.

" That doesn't mean he didn't leave something behind that you might have found and worked on, " Lupin was in the doorway.

" Damn, " Jigen shouted. " Don't sneak up on us like that! "

Lupin ignored Jigen and smiled at Toshiko. " Are you certain you don't have any skills that you picked up by accident? "

" What do you mean? " Toshiko gave Lupin a wary look.

Lupin had one of his hands behind is back and brought it around to his front. In it was a gadget that looked something like a large scorpion. " Your father's always building crazy gadgets to catch me and I wondered if you know how to do the same. "

Toshiko looked at Jigen then at the bed. " Well, I would need some tools and I have to know what that thing is supposed to do. "

" Then come with me to my workshop for a minute. I'll tell you what the idea was behind this thing and why I think it doesn't work, " Lupin waved Jigen over. " I'll take Jigen and shut the door so you can change. "

Jigen stood up and walked to the door but was surprised when he turned to shut the door. Toshiko was right behind him. She was wearing a red satin pajama set that was obviously borrowed. The top hung loosely on her slight form and the bottoms were probably pinned to hold them up.

" I don't need to change, " Toshiko shook the sleeves back from her hands. She took the scorpion from Lupin and looked it over. " Let me check this thing out while we walk to the workshop. "

Lupin nodded, " Sure. "

Toshiko stepped out into the hall and Jigen gave Lupin a sideways glance. " Are the pajamas yours? " He whispered.

" No. They're something I gave to Fujiko but she didn't want them, " Lupin shrugged. " She said they were too big for her on the bottom and not big enough on the top. "

" That doesn't surprise me at all, " Jigen muttered.

" Are you coming along? " Toshiko turned to look at Lupin and Jigen.

" Yeah, " Lupin said. " We're right behind you. My workshop is in the attic. The ladder is already down. "

" Oh, " Toshiko looked to the end of the hall and saw the ladder. " I see now. "

" We'll have to be quick about it, " Lupin said as Toshiko stopped at the ladder. He waved her up it, " Ladies first. "

" Okay, " Toshiko nodded and climbed the ladder. Lupin followed her and then Jigen.

Lupin flipped on the lights and motioned her over to the worktable. He had the tools laid out and the remote control for the scorpion on the white surface. He picked up the remote, " This is to control it but I can't get the little bugger to work. It's supposed to be a multi-lens camera. "

Toshiko looked at the row of lenses on the front of the scorpion. " I see that. I guess the screen on the handheld unit is to view the pictures it takes? "

" Exactly, " Lupin nodded. " However, I can't get it to work. "

Toshiko turned to the tools and selected a small screwdriver. " Where's the sensor for the radio controller? "

" In the tail, " Lupin pointed to what looked like the scorpion's stinger.

Toshiko reached for a magnifying glass and examined the tail carefully. She then examined the remote, " I can already see the problem. "

Lupin arched an eyebrow, " Really? "

" Yes. You got the transmitter and the receiver mixed up. The transmitter is supposed to be on the handheld and the receiver is supposed to be on the tail, " Toshiko pointed at each object as she spoke.

Lupin laughed, " That was a stupid mistake on my part. I got distracted I guess. "

Toshiko opened up the scorpion and frowned. " I have to commend your wiring, Lupin but I hate to tell you this. "

" Tell me what? " Lupin arched an eyebrow.

" You've got the wires soldered onto the wrong places. Positive goes to positive and negative goes to negative. "

Lupin slapped himself in the forehead, " I'm such a dumbass. "

Toshiko sighed, " I wouldn't say that but I think you could stand to learn a few things. "

" Did I at least get the gears right? " Lupin asked hopefully as he ignored the suspicious look Jigen was giving him.

Toshiko looked at the mechanical parts of the scorpion and sighed. " If we did get this thing to work, it would grind itself down before it could get anywhere. "

Jigen grabbed Lupin by the arm, " Pardon us. I need to speak to Lupin for a minute. "

" Sure, " Toshiko said as she looked around the table for something. " This will take a few minutes. Once I fix this, I have to do the controller. There's no telling what shape it's in. "

Jigen pulled Lupin over to the ladder and hissed, " What's wrong with you? That was one of your best devices. What did you do to it? "

Lupin glanced over his shoulder at Toshiko. She was carefully taking the gadget apart and separating the parts out into piles. He looked at Jigen, " That's also one of my most complicated devices. If she can fix it then she's a genius. "

" I'm not going to watch this, " Jigen whispered. " Did you even bother to think how she'll feel if she doesn't get it fixed right? "

" I'm sure she can, " Lupin said. " There's nothing to worry about. "

" I'm going downstairs, " Jigen muttered. " Where's Goemon? "

" He's waiting for us to leave. He volunteered to drive Toshiko over to his house on the motorcycle while we take the Benz, " Lupin whispered back.

" Sounds good to me, " Jigen said then climbed down the ladder.