Lupin III Fan Fiction ❯ Daddy's Girl ❯ Bugged ( Chapter 28 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Daddy's Girl

By Bekka Mouri-Hibiki

 

(Lupin isn't mine.  Lupin calls Kaoruko for Zenigata's number but decides to visit instead.)

 

Part Twenty-Eight: Bugged

 

Lupin stopped the Benz next to a phone booth.  He checked to make sure no one was looking and he ducked inside.  He dialed and waited as the call connected.  A moment later, Kaoruko answered.  " Operator.  How may I assist you? "

 

" Hey baby.  What are you up to? " Lupin said in his smoothest voice.  " I hear you're dateless for Saturday night. "

 

" Hey there, " Kaoruko purred and it elicited Lupin to imagine a rather large marmalade colored pussycat.  " What can I do you for? "

 

" That's my line, " Lupin chuckled.  " I was wondering if you could give me the phone number for one Koichi Zenigata if you please. "

 

Kaoruko whistled, " I see you like playing with fire. "

 

" I just want to wish my friend well, " Lupin said dramatically.  " It's so awful what happened to him. "

 

" Here we go, " Kaoruko said.  " Do you want me to connect you? "

 

" Please do, " Lupin replied.  Kaoruko connected the number and stayed on the line.  After three rings, she disconnected.  " Why did you hang up? " Lupin asked.

 

" The line is tapped.  I can tell by the sound, " Kaoruko sounded puzzled.  " Why would someone tap a cop's phone line though? "

 

Lupin felt a chill run down his spine.  " Listen to me.  I want you to disconnect his phone service for now.  It's way too much to get into right here so I can't explain but please cut it off.  I'll give you a bonus if you do it. "

 

" What do I tell him if he demands to know why? " Kaoruko said.

 

" Don't worry about it, " Lupin said as he felt around his jacket for a pen.  " Can you give me his address instead? "

 

" His address? " Kaoruko repeated.

 

Lupin growled, " Yes.  Please.  I need to talk to him in person. "

 

Kaoruko read it off to him as he scribbled it down on his hand.  " Be careful, " She sounded worried.

 

" I will, " Lupin muttered and hung up.

 

He stepped out of the phone booth and got back into the Benz, looking at the address.  He wasn't very far and was there in no time flat.  He pulled the Benz into an alley that ran alongside the apartment building and turned the engine off.  He walked back to the front of the building and took elevator up to Zenigata's floor.  He got to the door and knocked.

 

" Who is it? " Zenigata shouted.

 

" It's me Pops, " Lupin called back.

 

Lupin heard something fall over then the sound of crutches beating a hasty trail to the door.  Lupin jumped when Zenigata flung the door open and glared at him.  He looked at him for a long time before he stepped aside, " Get in here. "

 

" Yes sir! " Lupin saluted him and walked into the messy tiny apartment.  Lupin looked around then at Zenigata.  " Wow.  It looks very homey. "

 

" The maid hasn't been by today, " Zenigata said sarcastically as he hobbled over to Lupin and pulled a pair of handcuffs out of his pajamas.  " Lupin… "

 

Lupin dodged as Zenigata tried to slap the cuffs on him, " Pops!  I'm wounded!  I've come here to talk to you about our mutual interest and you treat me this way.  Don't forget where your daughter is right now. "

 

Zenigata growled and put the handcuffs away, " I hope she's been taken good care of. "

 

" Yes.  She's being treated like a princess… a princess being held captive in a tower because of Goemon's tenacity but a princess nonetheless, " Lupin said as he sat down on an old looking couch.

 

" It better stay that way too, " Zenigata hobbled to a recliner and sat down.  He arched an eyebrow, " Why didn't you just call? "

 

Lupin smiled, " I don't like calling tapped lines. "

 

" What? " Zenigata looked over at the phone.  " My phone's tapped? "

 

" Don't worry about it, " Lupin put a hand up.  " I fixed it temporarily.  I hope your girlfriend wasn't going to call because your phone's been disconnected. "

 

Zenigata glared at Lupin, " Who told you that you could have my phone disconnected? "

 

" Would you rather it be disconnected or connected and tapped? " Lupin arched an eyebrow.  " It could mean the difference between Toshiko being safe and the monsters Ryousuke's hired finding her. "

 

" Monsters? " Zenigata arched an eyebrow.

 

" Surely you've seen the paper this morning, " Lupin motioned to the paper on the lamp table next to Zenigata.  " Your baby made the front page.  Well, not her name but she was involved. "

 

" My hunch was right! " Zenigata shouted.  " I knew it was them!  I knew it had to be Jigen doing the shooting! "

 

" I suppose it was a good shot that did that private investigator in, " Lupin mused.  " I heard that guy was a bastard.  From my information, he would play hit man for the right price. "

 

" He was shot right between the eyes from what I heard, " Zenigata said.  He looked at Lupin, " How is Toshiko?  Was she hurt in any way? "

 

" She was a little shaken but she's otherwise unhurt, " Lupin sighed.  " She got very frightened when she was shot at but Jigen was there so everything was okay. "

 

Zenigata shook his head, " The idea of my baby being in the line of fire just scares me. "

 

" She's a tough girl even if she doesn't admit it to herself, " Lupin smiled.  " How else could she have survived with a beast like Ryousuke for a stepfather? "

 

Zenigata clenched his fist; " If I weren't injured I would kill him with my bare hands. "

 

" We're going to let the justice system handle him, " Lupin said.  He narrowed his eyes; " I do however have a plan 'B' if it doesn't come though. "

 

" A plan 'B'? "

 

" An 'accident', " Lupin said with a dark tone.  " Something will happen just like something happened to your pal that shot you in the leg.  That was such a shame but he shouldn't have messed with me. "

 

Zenigata smirked, " So you did have something to do with that. "

 

Lupin put a hand up, " I had my reasons and you weren't one of them.  He kidnapped Fujiko and tried to use her as bait to lure us to him.  He found out that I don't play that game.  I'm still a little pissed at you for showing him that picture of Jigen though. "

 

" I wasn't thinking, " Zenigata muttered.  " I thought he WAS Jigen. "

 

" Well it could have caused a lot of problems for Jigen if Chamberlain hadn't called and confessed to the police.  The police thought it was Chamberlain anyway, " Lupin smirked.  " You just don't know how mad I would have been if Jigen had gotten arrested for stuff he didn't do. "

 

" I'm sorry, " Zenigata said.  " I didn't think he would try to disguise himself as Jigen.  He just seemed to be an average sleaze ball. "

 

" That's right.  You didn't think but we'll drop it.  It's over with now.  Next time you see a doppelganger for one of us, don't whip out the pictures right away okay? " Lupin said.

 

" Okay.  I won't, " Zenigata nodded.  He furrowed his brow, " I wanted to ask you something. "

 

" I still have a question for you, " Lupin stated.  " How are things going with reporting Ryousuke? "

 

" I contacted an old friend of mine and he's on the case.  He can keep a secret so I'm not worried, " Zenigata replied.

 

Lupin narrowed his eyes, " Did you use the phone? "

 

" Of course I did, " Zenigata scoffed.

 

" Great.  We're fucked, " Lupin muttered.  " I had hoped you hadn't made your move yet. "

 

Zenigata put a hand up, " I didn't tell my friend where Toshiko is though.  I told him I didn't know.  It's the truth after all. "

 

" I hope you kept the details limited when you were speaking to him, " Lupin got out a cigarette.  He offered one to Zenigata.  " It's been a couple of days since you smoked last I assume. "

 

" Yes, " Zenigata nodded as he took the cigarette. 

 

Lupin lit his cigarette then lit Zenigata's.  " So, how detailed did you get on the phone? "

 

" Not very.  I told him I had proof that Ryousuke was abusing Toshiko but I didn't tell him much more than that because I had a bad feeling about being on the phone.  My sixth sense was going crazy, " Zenigata said.

 

" Maybe we're safe for then, " Lupin looked around.  " Where did you hide my letter and the pictures? "

 

" I gave one of the pictures and the letter you sent to Toshi to him but my letter and picture are hidden on the bookshelf, " Zenigata pointed to where he was talking about.

 

" Destroy them.  No one knows I contacted you, right? " Lupin said.

 

Zenigata nodded, " The doctor and the nurse the were in the room saw the picture but they don't know what it or the letter were about. "

 

" Like I said.  Destroy them. "

 

" I will, " Zenigata replied.  He then looked at Lupin again.  " Can I ask you something? "

 

Lupin shrugged, " Go ahead. "

 

" Why are you helping my daughter? " Zenigata asked.  " I've thought about it ever since Goemon showed up with her at the hospital and I can't think of an answer.  I want to know. "

 

" After I saw the shape she was in, I felt I had to do something for her.  I'm not going to leave a young lady behind because of her name.  To me, she's not your daughter… she's a teenage girl who needs help, " Lupin smiled.  " You know I'm weak around cute girls. "

 

" So you aren't doing this for me? " Zenigata asked.

 

" Nope.  I'm doing it for her.  Don't forget that, " Lupin stood up.  " If I feel she isn't safe even when this is all over, I'll decide what to do with her. "

 

Zenigata's eyes got wide, " What are you saying? "

 

Lupin smirked, " I'm saying that I'll find a place to put her if things do not work out. I might as well since you haven't bothered to care about her for the last twelve years.  Do you know she blamed me for you leaving her behind? "

 

" But it is your fault, " Zenigata pointed a finger at Lupin.

 

Lupin clucked his tongue, " No.  You're the one that decided it was your lifelong duty to chase me everywhere.  I never told you to leave your wife and kid behind.  You did that on your own.  You know, you're really lucky that you aren't a grandfather because most girls like her already have a kid at her age and I think that's fucking shame. "

 

" She has a good mother! " Zenigata countered.

 

" That doesn't make up for you being gone, " Lupin retorted.  " I'm surprised she even knows who you are. "

 

" I kept in touch, " Zenigata pointed out.  " She's gotten a birthday card every year since her mother divorced me. "

 

" Yeah well a birthday card or a quick phone call doesn't make up for actually being there.  If the courts screw her over, I'm taking charge of her and I'll use any mean necessary.  Maybe she'll do better, " Lupin smiled.  " God knows she hasn't been able to have a normal life but she at least deserves to be happy. "

 

" Are you standing here and telling me you're going to steal my daughter? " Zenigata reached for his crutches.  " What makes you think you have the right to do that? "

 

" Because I'm a Lupin and we always have to announce what we're going to take.  You should know that by now, " Lupin said.

 

Zenigata got to his feet, " That's kidnapping! "

 

" Not if Toshiko's willing to go through with it, " Lupin smiled.  " She loves it at my place.  She may never come back even if Ryousuke ends up sucking down fish heads for twenty or so years.  You know, I have been looking for someone with her skills so I may just make her a permanent part of the gang. "

 

" You wouldn't dare! " Zenigata hissed.

 

" She's already said she wants to join us.  In fact, she was going to go with us when we were going to fight Chamberlain.  She wanted to get a shot in for you.  Can you believe that? " Lupin laughed.  " Even after everything you didn't do for her she still wanted to go after him to get revenge for you. "

 

" Lupin… " Zenigata growled.

 

Lupin looked at his watch.  " Look at the time.  I have things I need to take care of at home.  See ya. "

 

Zenigata tried to chase Lupin to the door but stopped when he nearly tripped over his crutches.  He watched as Lupin shut the door before going back to his chair and sitting down.  " Mark my words, Lupin.  You may be able to steal anything but you aren't stealing my baby girl… " He muttered.

 

**

 

Jigen lay on his bed, staring at the ceiling.  He had finished cleaning the Magnum but wasn't ready to leave his room yet.  He was pretty sure Toshiko had put her clothes away and was now waiting for him to come back downstairs but he didn't know if he could do it.  He let out a sigh then there was a knock at the door.

 

" Who's there? " Jigen asked, silently hoping it was Lupin back from whatever errand he had went on.

 

The door opened slightly and Toshiko poked her head in the room.  " Are you okay? "

 

" I'm fine, " Jigen sat up and reached for his hat where he had perched it on the bedpost.

 

" You didn't come back down so I got worried.  You don't have to put that back on if you don't want to, " She pointed at his hat.

 

" I'm good.  I just wanted to lie down for a bit, " Jigen hoped Toshiko would stay by the door as he put the hat back where it had been.

 

" Can I lay down with you?  It's so lonely in my room and the house seems so big with just the two of us here, " Toshiko looked at the floor.

 

" Yeah, " Jigen nodded.  " It does feel kind of big. "

 

" So can I? " Toshiko gave him a pleading look.

 

He couldn't think for a moment, the queen sized bed feeling suddenly very small.  He could handle being in her bed with her but she'd be in his territory if she lay down with him.  He decided he would just have to try and control himself.  Jigen sighed, " Okay. "

 

Toshiko walked over slowly and stood by the edge of the bed as Jigen moved over to make room for her and put a generous amount of space between them.  She lay down next to him, focusing her eyes on the ceiling.  " I tried to watch television but there still wasn't anything interesting on. "

 

" TV sucks even with cable, " Jigen sighed.  " Now, there's some good stuff on at three a.m. but you don't need to know about that it.  I don't think you'd like that kind of stuff. "

 

Toshiko looked at him, " If you're talking about those movies then I know what you're talking about.  I've seen them. "

 

" What the hell? " Jigen stopped mentally kicking himself for mentioning the late night movies and looked at Toshiko.  " Hey now.  I'm not talking about 'Arsenic And Old Lace' or 'The Wizard Of Oz' here babe. "

 

Toshiko blushed a little, " Neither am I. "

 

" Damn, " Jigen muttered.  He was starting to wonder about her.  She was a thief and that surprised him but he really couldn't see her watching the porn movies he had hinted at as a joke.  He figured she'd be in bed at three in the morning.

 

" I've only seen bits and pieces of a few.  They make me feel weird and I have to turn the TV off, " Toshiko murmured.

 

" Oh, " Jigen was relieved.  " I was scared there for a second. "

 

" I like my mom's romance novels better, " Toshiko said.  " They don't make me feel as weird as those movies do.  I read all of the ones she had when I was injured the first time. "

 

Jigen didn't say anything for he knew what she meant by 'the first time' but that wasn't his main concern; he was worried about the novels she had read.  He knew Fujiko had some pretty raunchy books in her collection and found the ones he'd actually gotten a hold of to be just like a porno except for the reading part.  It made him ponder just what ideas about sex the girl had conjured up from what she had seen and read.

 

Toshiko was quiet for a long moment then glanced at him.  " Is that how it really is? "

 

" How what really is? " Jigen asked then realized what she was talking about.  He stammered for a second then managed to say, " Not really. "

 

" Oh, " Toshiko looked at the ceiling again.

 

He took a deep breath so he could get his thoughts straight then said, " The movies and books aren't the best guide to it, babe.  They aren't even anywhere close to how it really is.  That's just someone else's fantasy. "

 

" Then how is it? " Toshiko asked, her gaze not leaving the ceiling.  " I mean really. "

 

Jigen sighed, " I don't know how to explain it but it's different.  Everything is different when you actually experience it and not just read it. "

 

" Then could you show me? " Toshiko whispered.

 

Jigen shut his eyes, " Babe… "

 

" Please? " Toshiko pleaded.  " I meant what I said this morning… "

 

" We can't.  It's just not that easy, " Jigen shook his head.  " That's one way it's different from the stuff you've seen and read. "

 

Toshiko moved closer, " But I want to know and I want you to show me.  Please? "

 

Jigen decided to give up.  She was persistent, willing, or seemed so anyway, and he couldn't take the pressure anymore.  He had tried not to think about her in that way but it was getting harder to stave off his thoughts of making her into a woman.  He hadn't been with a woman in almost two years but it was no excuse to shag a sixteen year old that had no idea what she was getting into.  He wanted her to wait a little longer but she seemed like she didn't want to wait at all.

 

He just hoped she would get scared and ask him to stop before anything major happened.  Considering her age, it was highly likely she'd chicken out even before he got her top off.  He propped himself up on an arm, " Okay then.  Don't be scared to tell me to stop if you get uncomfortable. "

 

" I won't, " Toshiko said.

 

" Don't forget you wanted this, " Jigen reminded her.

 

Toshiko nodded, " I know. " 

 

" Okay then.  Here we go, " He murmured as he leaned closer.  He kissed her like he had on the roof, pleasantly surprised when she met his tongue with hers.  He slid his hand up her side as they kissed.  He then moved it to her chest. 

 

She broke the kiss to gasp as he caressed one of her breasts through her shirt.  She put her arms around him as he moved his hand deftly over her bosom, pulling her body closer to his.  She let out a sharp gasp as he brushed his thumb over one of her nipples and played with it through the shirt.

 

" Do you like that? " Jigen asked, a teasing edge to his voice as he continued to rub the stiff bud gently.

 

" Yeah, " She whispered.

 

Jigen kissed the side of her neck, his beard causing her to let out a husky giggle as it tickled her.  He urged her onto her back as he moved over her, his hands going to her waist as he parted her legs with one of his.  ~Time for the real test, ~ He thought as he slowly started pulling her shirt loose from where it was tucked into her pants.  She took a sharp breath but didn't move to stop him.

 

He slid his hands under the garment, moving them upward slowly to give her plenty of time to tell him to stop but she didn't.  She gasped when he slipped his hands over her bra-clad breasts and started to rub them with both hands.  He moved from her neck to her mouth, kissing her deeply as he turned up the heat by slipping his hands under the bra.  He tried to keep it slow so she had plenty of time to tell him to stop even though he felt like he was quickly losing control of the situation. 

 

Toshiko was making little noises in her throat as he fondled her, breaking away to catch her breath or let out a gasp of pleasure.  He took his hands out of her shirt and started to pull it up so he could see her breasts but stopped just short when he heard the sound of footsteps in the hall.  He got off of Toshiko and grabbed the Magnum.  " Straighten yourself up babe.  I think we've got company. "

 

Toshiko sat up and gasped, " Who could it be? "

 

" I don't know, " Jigen looked at her.  He felt terrible when he saw her disappointed and confused expression.  " I'm sorry about this babe, " He said quietly.

 

Toshiko shook her head, " It's okay.  The intruders are more important, " She sounded upset over being interrupted.

 

Jigen walked to the door and listened.  " Where do you think they are? " He heard Fujiko say.

 

" They must be here because he would be putting Toshiko in danger again if he took her out, " Goemon replied.  " Have you checked his room? "

 

" Oh hell no, " Jigen muttered as Toshiko walked up behind him and put a hand on his arm.  He put the Magnum away; " They're supposed to be in Yokohama by now. "

 

" What's wrong? " Toshiko asked.

 

" Goemon and Fujiko are back. "

 

" They shouldn't be… " Toshiko took her hand off of Jigen's arm and started to tuck her shirt back into her pants.  Her hair was slightly messed up and she was flushed, her lips a little swollen from Jigen's kisses.  Her body showed a few more obvious signs of arousal and he knew that Fujiko would be able to tell what they had been doing.

 

" I know, " Jigen whispered to her.  " Go back to the bed and pretend you're sleeping.  You're bit of a mess so face the wall. "

 

" Okay, " Toshiko nodded and quickly did as she was told.

 

There was a knock at the door, " Jigen? "

 

" What are you doing back this quickly, Goemon? " Jigen called back.  " I thought someone had broke in! "

 

" Where is Toshiko? " Goemon asked.

 

" She's with me, " Jigen replied.  " She's sleeping in here so keep your voice down. "

 

Jigen heard Fujiko huff, " It sounds fishy to me.  Open the door. "

 

Jigen flung open the door then arched an eyebrow.  " What the hell happened to you?  You look like you've been mud wrestling. "

 

" We got into a fight and ended up in a mud puddle.  It is too hard to explain right now, " Goemon said.

 

Jigen whistled, " Damn.  I bet that was fun to watch especially with Fujiko in that outfit.  I'd pay money to see that. "

 

" Fuck you, Jigen.  Where's Toshiko? " Fujiko looked into his room.  She narrowed her eyes at the bed when she saw Toshiko curled up on top of the covers.  She grabbed for Jigen's necktie but he stopped her.

 

" No, " Jigen said, grabbing Fujiko's muddy wrist.  " Keep your filthy hands off of me. "

 

Fujiko narrowed her eyes and pulled her hand away from Jigen, " I don't know what you think you're trying to pull but I'm not buying the nap story. "

 

" Well, I don't think I'm going to buy the mud puddle story either.  I think you two were getting hot and heavy on the bike.  When things started getting dangerous, you pulled over and Goemon wasn't watching where he pulled over so when you tumbled off the bike to get it on, you fell into the puddle. "

 

Fujiko puffed up indignation and Goemon did as well.  " How dare you! " They both said at once the glared at each other.

 

" That's what I thought, " Jigen smirked.  " You two can have your little fantasies about what I'm doing but I can't have mine about the two of you, I see how it is. "

 

" You're a pervert! " Fujiko hissed. 

 

" I would never! " Goemon sputtered.  " I hate this woman more than I've hated anyone in my life!  I would sooner commit hari-kari than touch her in such ways you accuse me of! "

 

" Oh go fuck yourself! " Fujiko shouted at Goemon.

 

" That's it! " Goemon hissed and reached for Zantetsuken but stopped.  He growled, " Never mind.  You aren't worth it. "

 

Jigen rolled his eyes, " Why don't the two of you stop all this idiotic dry humping and get it over with?  The two of you obviously want each other. "

 

Fujiko growled, " How dare you say that! "

 

" You say the same shit to me so its only fair honey, " Jigen said.  He frowned, " Why don't the two of you hose off before you get in the shower?  You know Lupin will have a conniption if you get that much mud in the tub. "

 

Goemon looked at Fujiko, " He does have a point. "

 

Fujiko frowned, " But hose water is cold. "

 

" The shower will warm you back up, " Goemon pointed out.

 

" Yeah well both of you need to either cool off or fuck each other senseless, " Jigen said.  " I don't care which you choose nor do I want to hear about it once you're finished. "

 

" What's going on here? " Lupin had walked up but no one had noticed and looked very unhappy.  He glared at Fujiko and Goemon, " I told you two to go to Yokohama not practice for the co-ed mud wrestling league. "

 

" We were sidetracked and had to come back.  We plan on leaving once we get cleaned up, " Goemon said.

 

" Never mind.  I'll send Jigen instead, " Lupin waved his hand.  " Wake Toshiko up and we'll get her a good disguise so she can go with you. "

 

" Wait a second, " Jigen put his hand up.  " How do we know that Ryousuke only hired one private eye? "

 

" Jigen, " Lupin pointed downstairs.

 

Jigen rolled his eyes, " Damn.  I never got called to the principal's office this much. "

 

" Maybe that's because you dropped out of school, " Fujiko snapped as she moved to stand in front of him.

 

Jigen glared at her, " I was expelled fuck you very much. "

 

" I bet, " Fujiko scoffed.  " Did you get caught smoking one too many times in the boys' room? "

 

" It's none of your damn business why I was kicked out, " Jigen growled.

 

" Jigen!  I mean now five minutes ago!  Shake a leg! " Lupin shouted as he headed down the stairs.

 

Jigen pushed Fujiko away and stormed downstairs.  He recalled that he had something to say to Lupin as well.  He got to the office and opened the door.  Lupin turned from the window to look at him, " I want to know why you told Fujiko about Toshiko. "

 

" I figured it would help her understand the poor girl a little better, " Lupin said.  " Why?  Did she say something to you about it? "

 

" Yeah.  We had a fight this morning over it, " Jigen crossed the room and got a cigarette from the case on the desk.  Lupin offered him a light and he took it.

 

Lupin growled, " I was trying to convince her you were the best thing for Toshiko.  Apparently she doesn't see it that way. "

 

" She's got her nose so far up my ass I can't walk, " Jigen said as he exhaled the smoke.

 

" She's jealous or something, " Lupin shrugged.

 

" Well no shit, " Jigen said.  " I accused her of that this morning when we fought but she denied it. "

 

" Of course.  She denies everything, " Lupin sighed as he rubbed his forehead. " I'll talk to her while Toshiko and you go to Yokohama. "

 

Jigen glared at Lupin, " Who said I was going to Yokohama? "

 

" I did.  I tried to get Kaoruko to connect me to Pops from a phone booth but she said his line was tapped.  He said he called an old friend of his to take up Toshiko's case.  Jigen, things might be going bad, " Lupin shook his head.  " If the line was tapped when Pops called his friend there could be trouble. "

 

" Fucking shit, " Jigen muttered.

 

" My sentiments exactly.  Now, do you remember where the hideout in Yokohama is right? " Lupin said.

 

Jigen furrowed his brow, " Yeah.  Why? "

 

" I want you to take Toshiko to Yokohama and come back as soon as Ryousuke is in jail.  Pops gave his friend evidence but they'll have to wait for an arrest warrant.  You'll probably be gone for a few days; " Lupin patted Jigen on the shoulder.  " There are probably a couple of private investigators looking for Toshiko right now so Yokohama is the safest place for her right now. "

 

Jigen sighed, " I guess you're right.  I'll go tell her to pack her overnight bags. "

 

" She has overnight bags? " Lupin arched an eyebrow.

 

" Yeah.  She can use the shopping bags, " Jigen shrugged.

 

" Ah, " Lupin nodded.  Jigen walked to the door, " Hold on.  I'm curious. "

 

" Curious about what? " Jigen glanced over his shoulder at Lupin.

 

" You said you were expelled from school. "

 

Jigen narrowed his eyes, " Yeah.  What about it? "

 

" Why? " Lupin sat down on the edge of the desk.

 

Jigen turned to face Lupin, " If it were any of your business I'd tell you. "

 

" I was just wondering, " Lupin put his hands up.  " If it's that big of a deal I won't bother you about it. "

 

Jigen frowned, " I got a girl pregnant.  They sort of frown on that kind of thing in Catholic private schools, " He muttered.

 

" If they didn't frown on birth control that kind of thing wouldn't happen, " Lupin said.

 

Jigen walked over to the couch and sat down.  " I would have had to quit school anyway.  I had to do more jobs to support the girl and the baby.  I was married at seventeen, a father at eighteen and divorced by the time I was nineteen.  She kicked me out when she found out where the money was coming from. "

 

" Damn.  I never knew, " Lupin said quietly.  He thought for a long moment as he looked at the floor.  He looked at Jigen again, " So your kid is about Toshiko's age now. "

 

" Yeah, " Jigen nodded.  " I don't know where he is though.  His mother moved shortly after the divorce. "

 

" You know where they went? " Lupin asked.

 

Jigen shook his head, " I've heard stories that she went east and other stories say west.  She could have gone to Alaska for all I know. "

 

" I would have never guessed, " Lupin said.  " I can't imagine you changing diapers and doing midnight feedings. "

 

" Well I did my share, " Jigen glared at Lupin.  " And you better not run your mouth to Fujiko about this. "

 

" My lips are sealed, " Lupin said and made a zipper motion over his mouth.

 

" They had better be or I'll shut you up permanently, " Jigen said.

 

Lupin stood up, " Don't worry.  I won't say anything.  Let's go get Toshiko up so you two can get out of here. "