Macross Fan Fiction ❯ Underground Down Under ❯ His Finest Hour? ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Robotech: Underground Down Under

Chapter VI: His Finest Hour?


The hanger was the only single room in the Australian Counter Imperial Forces' base large enough to comfortably seat all the resistance groups personnel (save for a few sentries outside and techs in the Control Center). That much alone was encouraging. Indeed, Gordon Sabol counted at least 80 or so men and women sitting in folding chairs or the floor before the workbench he stood on to address them. Sabol had posted behind him a paper map of Western Australia marking the various locations of objectives in the mission. He finished an outline of the mission parameters as set by Colonel Wolff and the what exactly such a journey would entail. Sabol pointed out the mission's opportunity to help end the war quickly, of course, the plan to mount a rescue operation for liberating the group's loved ones still held as slaves and hostages at the Invid Protoculture farm at New Perth, at the southwest corner of Australia. How exactly they were going to accomplish that remained to be seen; however, the more volunteers they got, the more likely it would be that such an operation could prove feasible.

"…and I'm going to open the floor to questions," Sabol was saying. Already several ACIFs were raising their hands. He gestured to one.

"What mecha are going to be deployed on this mission?" the man said as he rose.

Commander Barker joined Sabol on the informal dais. "I can answer that," he told his group. "I've decided to form two flights of three Valks and Alphas each to be our main firepower support in this mission. Mr. Sabol is the only man here qualified to fly the assault copter; he'll be able to give ground support if we run into any purple crabs…er, Shock Troopers. Our two trucks with infantry and supplies will be escorted by three Hovertanks from the perimeter guard." A murmur ran through the group.

"But Tom," the standing man protested, "that leaves- what? 2 Logans, a VF-1, an Alpha and two tanks? We'll be virtually defenseless!"

Sabol frowned. Here was a guy who was not thinking about the mission.

"Jim, this group has two key objectives," Barker replied. "One is to protect our families from the Invid. The other is to win the war and reclaim our homeworld. Mr. Sabol-" he said, glancing at the man standing beside him, "-is giving us a rare opportunity to accomplish both things at once. That's why I've decided to risk the bulk of our Veritechs on this mission. As long as the base continues not to use any Protoculture, the odds of the Invid locating it remain remote. Clear?"

Jim sat down with a scowl.

"How many canisters of Protoculture are available for the mission?" a woman piped up.

"Enough," Barker answered. "I figure we can squeeze three dozen in each truck and some extras in the Alphas' cargo compartments. Again, that strips the base's supply, but if you're going to be needing them, than not having the extra cells are the least of your problems."

"What Invid activity is there in the Outback?" another man asked.

"We can't be exactly certain," Sabol answered. "Mr. Barker informs me that the Invid send out transcontinental patrols on an irregular basis. In my experience, aside from near their hives, the Invid rarely patrol in strength. We might expect to run into 5 to 8 Scout craft…uh, red crabs,"

It still wasn't clear whether they were going to be using official REF terminology or the group's own dubs for identifying the Invid mecha encountered during the journey. That was one of the less important challenges to overcome, though.

"Who will be in command, sir?"

Barker looked surprised. "I will, naturally. In the event I am killed or incapacitated, my yet to be decided second-in-command will take over. Of course, in my absence you will obey Mr. Sabol's orders, within reason. You may think of Mr. Sabol as the mission specialist," he thought to point out.

Owens stood up. "Are the stations manned, Mr. Sabol?"

"They were supposed to be at the time of the invasion," Sabol replied, taking a deep breath. "Whether the crews stayed devoted to duty…I guess would depend on if they had enough provisions. It would certainly be helpful if they have kept the machinery and computers in working order, but I'm afraid it isn't something we can count on."

"I have another question. How long to you expect this journey to take?" Owens asked.

"With the road network we're taking, under ideal conditions, we can expect to reach the actual transmitter in about four days," Sabol answered.

"Can you tell us your plans for the assault on the New Perth hive?" a woman asked.

Barker and Sabol exchanged glances. "We have not finalized any plans as yet. Certainly, we must observe the hive's defenses and arrange for transport before any such assault can occur," Barker told the group. "I'm sorry for having to be so vague on all these answers, but I promise that those who volunteer for the mission will receive a more thorough briefing as we learn more. If there are no more questions, I'd like to ask who is going to volun-"

"One more question, if I may," a woman's voice interrupted him from near the back of the assembly. The freedom fighters twisted in their seats to look at her. "Did you volunteer for this mission, Mr. Sabol?"

"What kind of question is that, Jen?" Barker asked, astonished.

Sabol closed his eyes for a moment, then met the woman's gaze. "I believe what- Miss Radice, isn't it- is asking," he said slowly, surprised by the clear burst of insight which guided him, "is whether she- or any of you- would be wise to commit to a mission lead by someone who for all you know has no confidence in the viability of this mission and could care less whether any of you survive. In fact, I'd be surprised if there is anyone among you who hasn't asked that question to themselves, am I wrong?"

He paused for a moment before continuing. "The answer to your question, Miss Radice: No, I did not volunteer for this mission. Truthfully, I was dismayed. I had no confidence that I would succeed in locating the ACIF, and I was and still am uncertain whether the transmitter and bunker have survived in working order. For that matter, I don't even know if it's feasible to take on the Perth hive with the resources we have without having every prisoner killed in the process." There were murmurs in the group for a moment. Barker looked down at his feet in shame.

"But I accepted the assignment. I've asked myself why I didn't take the Alpha and run for some cave somewhere. The truth is that I could never bring myself do betray the trust invested in me by Colonel Wolff and Major Carpenter. Is that any different then why you're here? To fight for those you love who are still in bondage? And in the end, even if you failed to free them, won't what really matters be that you can look them in the eye and say: 'I did everything in my power to save you?'"

Sabol shifted on his feet uncomfortably. "I know the odds of us succeeding aren't great, but having this chance to end the war at a stroke must be worth that risk. I wouldn't have asked for your help if I didn't feel the risk was reasonable enough to stake my life and yours."

Oh my god, Sabol thought. She asked me a simple question and I just gave them a sermon.

"Who will go with us?" Barker asked solemnly after a long pause.

For a moment Sabol thought that nobody would respond. He felt about ready to fall off the platform. Then Radice slowly rose to her feet. So did Owens, Whitley, and dozens of others whose names he did not know. Sabol stumbled down from the workbench in a daze.

Well, imagine that.