Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Never Again... ❯ Open Old Wounds ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Here I am again finding myself doing another Rayearth fic. Hum… I figure by the time I'm done with Raywaerth fics, I'll have around twenty or so, but one never knows. Anywhom, I figured I'd mold something with Umi and Ascot (after reading the manga over-and-over I realized how God damn cute he is). It won't be as long as my usual fic though, I'm just annoyed at one of my many Spike Spiegel figures I have in my room, in this instance it doesn't want to stand up properly, thus, I took a break from yelling at to 'stand up' and start this (in any case, I've been meaning to do this fic lately… hum… I guess the movie Signs is right: nothing is a coincidence.) Now, this little deal here is going to be pretty fluffy, enough where I would give a 'Mokona waning', meaning it's so fluffed up I consider it another form of Mokona.

I don't own Rayearth, and it bites. CLAMP dose, and that is a very odd company name… but nonetheless, they own it, this is just some crap slapped on Microsoft Word to stop me from killing my Spike figurine. Enjoy.

Never Again…

Open Old Wounds.

It burst through strands of wheat, towering above the field of gold and soaring into the air. It buzzed passed the soft clouds, higher, swifter, and stronger into the sky. It screamed bravely like an eagle, it's broad wings flapping powerfully, an adventurous thrill filling its bright green eyes, and a youthful man riding on it's muscular back, cheering the creature on as he felt the speedy wind rip welcomingly through is brunette locks.

"Madas!" the man shouted joyfully to his creature.

It screeched boldly, thrusting its body forward.

"Is it possible to soar higher?" he called to his creature, grabbing into its feathers and speaking closer to its head.

The creature said nothing; it only jolted forward once more, suddenly switching direction and climbing more into the sky, the clouds thickening until there was none above to pass through, all below.

The mighty Griffin-beast looped in and out of the top layer of clouds, spinning gracefully and diving down some every-so-often. The man on it's back laughing happily, holding so tight his knuckles were white as sheets. He felt so light on his Griffin, so carefree about the troubles surrounding his life and so much more attentive to the tiny things making him happy. He was free, if only for a short time, but time wouldn't stop him, nothing in Cephiro could end his independence in the short moment his held it, or at least he hoped.

Madas flung into a quick spin trying to abruptly halt itself in mid-air, almost throwing the childish man of its back.

"Madas! What is wrong my friend?" the man glanced into its eyes, noticing it glared straight above them, watching intently to an odd spectacle… he could see a refection his its eye, the sky just over them seemed to open.

The man swung his head upward, squinting and becoming rather uneasy to the winds picking up around them. He never peered away, watching as the sky open greater and a delicate figure rapidly fell out of the portal-like gap and into the sky.

"Madas! Now, fly to their side!" the man commanded knowing not weather the being was good or evil.

The Griffin grunted and sparing no further seconds dove down past the floating mound of clouds they had just ascended to. Wings erect from its body and limbs safely nestled up to its body, Madas spun downward as quickly as the laws of force would allow.

They passed the figure falling into the clouds, pausing beneath where it would plummet further, waiting and hoping they were alright. Closer and closer they fell, their features more clear and sudden memories flooding back with each note to them.

With a calm thud, the being safely onto the back of Madas, moaning some and blowing a few sapphire strands of hair from their face. Sapphire hair…

Their frame was so much smaller than his own, feminine features lining their chest, beautiful legs that fitting to be soft as the finest silk, and wonderful long hair, hair as blue as the calm ocean, whipping in the wind like placid waves in the stunning sea.

"I despise that part…" they muttered, propping upright and rubbing their head slightly.

It… couldn't be… she had left for good years ago… she is back.

"What are you doing here…?" it was somewhat of a stuttered whisper that escape through is knotted throat, but it managed to catch the eye of the being beside him.

"Oh my," she titled her head toward him, "I wasn't expecting you do catch my fall Ascot, but I'm joyful that you have."

He said nothing, only forcing an anxious grin to his lips and praising the Gods of Cephiro that his curtain of bangs hid most of his blushing face. Was she back, could it be the truth? Or was his mind projecting tricks once again?

"U-Umi… that is really you… truly it is…" he began to reach for a reassuring touch to her face, but hesitated his hand back to his torso, knowing much better.

She laughed warmly, her cerulean eyes lighting up with utter joy to see such an innocent child cheerfully within a man's body.

What was she doing here? There was no danger; Cephiro was in great shape, only getting better with each new day and the willful hope of its entire people. Had she returned just for a an escape against her world… it sounded outright unlivable from the tales of her 'skyscrapers', 'smog' and 'cars with traffic' she spoke of… did she come her to see someone? Had she passed through worlds to be in a wish of forever drifting into a beautiful dream while the arms of love held her away from the nightmares?

The thoughts of both her in his arms and another's shot shivers straight down his back… some of pure delight, some of jealousy and hatred…

"I am here, mirages don't fall from the sky," she smiled shortly, pausing to sigh out some of her excitement, "I just wanted to spend some time with the people I rarely see, but love so much…"

Love. She said love… did she love him? She couldn't… she spoke of all the citizens and creatures of Cephiro… not just him.

He could sense his heart tearing again, a feeling he had forgotten and something he prayed he would never bleed from again. Though he adored seeing a smile blossom onto her face and felt his heart sink into his stomach when she wasn't near, the truth was each time her eyes met with his, every instant she harmlessly held his hand, and the hints of playful love she would smear with her words… it was like a elegant rose… so gorgeous to the eye, but harmful to touch… he could never tough her, to hold her would only stab the thorns deeper, for he could never have her…

His grin faded to a smile… he had to show something comfortable toward her out of the though of her worries, he spoke, once more trying to mask his heart beginning to fall to pieces once more, "I suppose you wish to see the castle… Umi…"

He didn't express too much emotion into the words, he refused to let Umi fret on his behalf… but she saw, her eyes venturing past his smiling face and down to his weeping heart.

Ascot questioned Madas to jolt toward the castle, and he did with lightning speed. He kept his eyes on the path Madas flew, whispering to himself on how he wished Umi wouldn't ask anything… just be with him peacefully for what felt like the last time they'd see one another… his prays in vain.

"Ascot," Umi began, tilting her head over her shoulder to make sure he was watching her talk, "You are troubled…"

"No, it's alright Umi, I haven't felt better in years…" he lied with a fake smile.

"I can hear it in the quiver of your voice…"

Damn it. Now he had to make up an excuse, and a good one at that… but nothing justly convening came out.

"Well… let's just say it's not you." another horrid lie.

"I doubt that…" she turned away once she whispered her thoughts depressingly.

Both kept their hold of silence the remaining time back, Ascot running through what she had said, thinking how easy it was to see his pain, and how much her last sentence sound like the exact twinge he lost hours of sleep to every night.

Her terms informative, but her voice in a trembling whisper…