Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ A Christmas Wish ❯ A Christmas Wish ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Ken Akamatsu owns Negima and She's so High is sung by Tal Bachman.
 
 
She's blood, flesh and bone
No tucks or silicone
She's touch, smell, sight, taste and sound

But somehow I can't believe
That anything should happen
I know where I belong
And nothing's gonna happen
Yeah, yeah
 
 
“I can't believe you're finally doing it, Setsuna!” A girl with orange/reddish hair of twenty years exclaimed as the two stepped out of a store. Another girl, the same age with dark brown hair that could easily be mistaken for black, stood next to her. “I feared I would have to keep banging my head against the wall for you to make your move.” She continued.
Setsuna pocketed her hands and a package in her coat as she gazed up at the clear, night sky. Snow covered everything leaving nothing untouched. Her cheeks were red either from the cold winter air or from the common blush Asuna couldn't tell. She pounded her hand on the samurai's back as the smile on her face only widened. “You couldn't have picked a better time to do it as well. The Christmas festival is coming up.”
Setsuna gave her friend a half smile as her doubts increased. `What am I doing? I can't be doing something like this. It's too sudden. Who is to say that she will say yes? I should returned my purchase and give it more thought. I shouldn't rush.' She turned herself around.
“Oh, no you don't!” Asuna grabbed Setsuna's arm and pulled her further out onto the sidewalk. “You are to wipe those doubts from your mind. When the Christmas festival arrives, you will present it to her and confess. Do you understand? You are not going to back out.” Setsuna remained silent. Asuna shook the samurai, “I asked if you understood!”
Setsuna swallowed before nodding, “No, I want to hear you tell me.” Asuna's grip on Setsuna's arm tightened.
“Y..yes, I understand.” Asuna's smile returned; Setsuna sighed in relief.
Fear gripped Setsuna as her hand tightened over the small package. The growing anxiety she felt as she and Asuna entered the store. Her stomach muscles tightened as she paid for the item in question and the rapid beating of her heart. `I can't believe how nervous I'm feeling, and I'm not facing her yet! Calm down. You need to calm down.' She took a couple of deep breaths and slowly exhaled creating puffs of clouds in the air.
The two made their way to the train station. Asuna still couldn't believe her eyes. The usual stoic, shy girl finally decided to take action. `She sure did take her time reaching this decision but `better late than never'.' Silence hung in the air throughout the remainder of the trip.
 
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
 
The Christmas festival was the main topic of conversation. Classes let out early beginning the Christmas break. Already students were making plans and setting them into motion for the upcoming festivities. Setsuna silently made her way out of the college school building. Snow crunched underneath her boots. She was exhausted. The closer the Christmas festival neared the more restless her nights became. `I know Asuna supports me completely along with nearly everyone else in class but in the end it all comes down to one person's opinion. What would I do if she refuses? I know I shouldn't be doubting myself like this.'
Their friendship had grown and matured greatly but on a romantic basis, she wasn't quite sure where they stood. Sure, Konoka loved her and constantly glomped her but the fact of the matter was, did she love her like Setsuna loved her? Whenever the topic arose, an incident would intervene with Setsuna feeling a bit of disappointment and relief.
She was completely out of Konoka's league. She knew Konoka wasn't shallow, but Setsuna didn't think she was interested in pursuing a relationship. Also, just because Konoka was extremely affectionate it does not mean that she had romantic feelings for her. As emotional as Konoka was, she was difficult to read.
`Why am I doing this?' Asuna had once told her that Konoka had never once showed interest in any of men she had meetings with. Hearing those words, Setsuna felt encouraged. She thought about her decision long and hard for several months then finally asked Asuna to help her. Asuna couldn't have looked happier.
`What if Asuna is wrong? What will I do then? I don't want to lose what precious little I do have. I should be satisfied with our close friendship; I should not ask for more.' Setsuna found herself standing nearby the lake. She stared across the frozen lake as she reflected on her earlier actions. `I shouldn't be greedy. I should just return the purchase and everything will remain normal. Only Asuna will know but I'm sure she will understand.' An imagine of Asuna's furious expression entered her mind. `Or maybe she won't.'
`We come from two different backgrounds. How cliché, the lowly servant falls in love with the beautiful princess. Too bad real life isn't made like fairytales where everyone lives happily ever after.' A rush of cold air numbed her face. There are reasons why light and dark remained separated. She pulled out a box from her pocket. Carefully opening it up, she admired the item inside. It nearly cleaned out her entire savings.
Snapping the lid shut, she jammed the box back into her coat pocket. She had made up her mind. She was going to return the product and pretend nothing had happened. She wouldn't care if Asuna got after her for chickening out. It was better to remain in a safety zone of friendship than risk everything and lose it all. As she remained hidden within the shadows to secretly protect Konoka, so will her feelings for the young princess lie hidden the shadows of her heart.
Relieved that she didn't go through with her original plan, she turned around to come face to face with Konoka. “Here you are, I was looking all around for you, Set-chan.” She appeared out of breath. Shocked, Setsuna couldn't voice anything. “I have been trying to call out to you when class ended, but you disappeared.” The chilly air reddened Konoka's cheeks.
“What is it, Ojousama?” Konoka frowned slightly but chose to ignore it.
“I need you to do me a favor.” Not giving the samurai a chance to object, Konoka grabbed Setsuna's hand and ran toward the dormitory.
 
AN: This is going to be a mini-series. Enjoy.