Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ A Christmas Wish ❯ Chapter 3

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Ken Akamatsu owns Negima and Tal Bachman owns “She's So High”.
 
 
First class and fancy free
She's high society
She's got the best of everything
What could a gallike me
Ever really offer?
She's perfect as she can be
Why should I even bother?
 
 
Setsuna searched in vain for the missing black box. She even retraced her steps excluding Konoka's room but found nothing. `This is bad. If Ojousama finds it, I'm in trouble. If anyone else finds it they will see her name...why did I listen to the jeweler and engrave the name?! Baka!' She was back in her own room.
The entire room looked to be victimized by a natural disaster confrontation. The only thing undisturbed was the Santa costume. Sitting down on her bed, she ran her fingers over her distraught face. She looked down on the floor where the accursed coat laid and she picked it up. `I could swear that I pushed the box deeper into the pocket so how could it have fallen?' Searching every inch of the coat once more, she knew the box was gone.
“I pray to God that the box didn't fall in her room. Knowing my luck, she probably has it and knows what lies inside. Damnit! I should have knocked the idea out of my head the moment it sprung up.' She grabbed her hair with her fists in anger. “Why did I have to listen to Asuna. Why did I even buy it? No, this isn't her fault. It's mine fault for being so stupid to believe that she would say yes.” Dropping her arms to hang over her knees, she bent her head down.
“I guess the only thing left to do is to simply explain to her that it was a mistake. Just say that it was a mistake…BUT THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN MISUNDERSTAND THE REASON BEHIND THE GIFT!” Frustration finally conquered her and the few students in the hallway heard the aggravated scream of a pained spirit.
 
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
 
White boots slapped against the carpeted floor of the dormitory. Turning left before continuing down the long passageway, the person held a black box in it's hand. The person viewed the door numbers for the accurate room. Stopping in front of a rich mahogany wooden door, the person raised their hand to knock. Three consecutive, strong knocks resonated through the empty hallway.
A muffled response came from the other side of the door and seconds later, the door opened. “Takahata-sensei!” A surprised Negi greeted. It was exceptionally rare, or rather unknown that Takahata had ever entered the dormitories before. “Please come in.” Negi held out his hand toward the room while opening the door wider.
“That's all right, Negi. I'm here to return some lost property.” Confusion washed over the teenaged teacher's face.
“Lost property?” Negi repeated uncertainly.
“Yes, I found this lying in the snow just outside the dormitory entrance. I believe this belongs to Konoka.”
“Really? How can you be so sure?” Negi inquired curiously.
“Well, the name is engraved inside. So, I assume it belongs to her.” Takahata held out the box to Negi.
“Unfortunately, Konoka stepped out to finalize some things for the Christmas festival.” He explained, glancing over at a nearby clock.
“Then I'm sure she won't mind me dropping it off at her dorm.” Takahata smiled his usual grin, “I'll just leave it in your hands. I must meet with the headmaster.”
“Hold on, Takahata-sensei. I'll come with you. Let me just place a note next to the box on Konoka's desk.” Negi quickly grabbed the box then ran toward Konoka's desk. Setting the box on the edge, he removed a notepad from his pocket and jotted down a quick note before he ripped the paper out and placed it over the box. He turned to leave and in his hurry to grab his coat, Negi's sleeve brushed against the box causing the box and note to fall to the ground. The box rolled under the bed, and the note fluttered to the ground, landing halfway under the desk.
 
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
 
Setsuna nearly fell on the slippery patch of ice on the sidewalk nearby the school building. Two days, she had been searching for the box and now had given up. Two days, she had avoided Konoka and tried to clean the costume only to find she accidentally knocked bleach on the jacket. She carried a bag holding the costume knowing she would have to face Konoka eventually.
She first had to fulfill her duties toward the school. Her sword in one hand and the bag in the other, she headed for the forest. She would have asked Mana to fill in for her, but she needed to fatten up her near empty bank account to buy something more proper for Konoka because the item was now non-returnable. Sighing, she stationed herself within the shadows of the forest.
`Concentrate on your job now. You can think of what to do after your shift. Right now, protecting Ojousama is more important.' She closed her eyes to block out her distractions and began to tune her chi with her surroundings. Becoming one with nature and animals, she was able to view through their eyes and feel their emotions. A sense of serenity, cold, hunger, tiredness, and death filled her being. She found guard duty to be relaxing instead of boring. Unlike most, she had discovered guard duty passed the time. Sometimes the hours passed by too quickly for her that she would take double shifts.
Several hours passed and only an odd demon slipped through the barrier. She easily disposed of it letting out some of her frustrations on it. Her relief then arrived allowing her to head for the dorms. She had wasted enough time trying to find the box. She knew Konoka would probably be mad. As she neared the dorms, she spotted several trucks sprinkled across the campus landscape. Evening was setting in yet the workers were still actively working with no apparent sign of stopping.
She saw a woman with her back to Setsuna giving out orders. Setsuna slowly walked up behind the woman. Her head bent in submissive stance, she waited for the woman to notice her. “Ojousama, where would you like these decorations?” One of the workers questioned. She was quiet for a few seconds, thinking before answering.
“Set it with the Santa stage by the World Tree.” She pointed, “I want everything to be visible so everyone can see it, no matter where the students stand.”
“Yes, ojousama.” He bowed before carrying out her instructions. Konoka rotated her shoulders in hopes to work out the kinks. Planning out a festival was more difficult than she thought, but Konoka wasn't one to shy away from hard work. She turned around to find Setsuna standing behind her with her head bowed. Sighing, she walked over to the samurai.
“I'm sorry, ojousama, I messed up the costume.” She held out the bag to the healer, her shoulders drooping. Konoka only smiled as she reached out and grabbed the samurai's hand. Konoka couldn't stay mad at Setsuna for long.
“Come with me.” She held the bag in one hand and the samurai in the other. Their fingers laced together much to the half demon's distress.
“Ojousama, what if someone sees us?” Konoka ignored Setsuna's pleas as she pulled Setsuna through the busy hallway full of retiring students. Setsuna's face changed from a slight tint of redness on her cheeks to its deepest shade as the students watched Konoka pulled the usually emotionless samurai down the hallways toward Konoka's room. Whispers were heard as Setsuna and Konoka passed the other students by. Some of the topics caused steam to pour out of the swordswoman's ears.
Panic seized Setsuna's heart as another thought blossomed in her mind. `What if she wants to talk about the box? What if she was the one who had it?' Setsuna's thoughts were interrupted at the sound of the door close and lock behind her. She found herself inside Konoka's room, trapped.
“Now, Set-chan, we need to discuss something. Recently, I discovered something very shocking.” Setsuna felt her entire body stiffen.
“I can explain, Ojousama.”
Konoka's face was serious. “I don't think you need to. It was bound to happen eventually.' Konoka sighed as she walked pass the tensed samurai and toward her desk. Turning around once more, Konoka lifted herself to sit on the desk with her arms crossed. Wringing her hands, Setsuna swallowed hard as she watched her Ojousama giving her a piercing gaze. Setsuna wanted to bolt but knew she had already caused Konoka enough grief.
`I'll take it like a warrior. No more running away.' Clearing her throat, Setsuna wiped her sweaty palms on her pants, “I believe I do owe you an explanation, so please, let me talk first.”
Confusion lightly etched on Konoka's face at the sudden change in Setsuna's mood. Sure the topic she wanted to discuss was important, but she didn't think it would cause Setsuna to take it so seriously. All she wanted to discuss was the change in the program concerning Setsuna's role as Santa. Keeping quiet, Konoka masked her confusion with years of experience attending social meetings and arranged marriages; she felt that whatever Setsuna was going to say would be far more interesting. After all, the Santa news could wait until afterwards. Crossing her legs, Konoka arched a perfectly plucked eyebrow up to give her poor blushing samurai permission to continue.
 
AN: Okay, I'm sure everyone is wondering whatever happened to this chapter. Well, I hate to sound like a broken record, but I was busy. Life is nearing the holidays and well a lot does tend to happen and seem to bundle together. Meaning all the problems and planning combined. The important thing is that the chapter is up and running. On a much happier note, I have written out the rest of the series so you won't have to wait so long for the next chapter! YAY!!! - does a little dance - Although, now my poor editor now has to work even more.
 
AN: (11/23/06) New update. Checking out my stats for the chapter, I've noticed that less and less readers and reviewers on each chapter I've posted. I am assuming that the magic or the material I've provided has become worse. So, I've decided to just discontinue the series. Happy Late Thanksgiving Day!
 
AN: (11/27/06) Because I have received - to my shock - requests and a single threat for my life I have decided to post the rest of my chapters. My editor, who was the one who threatened bodily harm to me, did not know about me discontinuing this series until she read the reviews - thanks a lot guys =P hehe - and complained and told me to post the rest of the series since she had to painstaking edit the remaining chapters. : Editor holds a gun to my temple : I agree though that since I have written the rest of the series; I should post them. : Glances nervously at the sleep deprived editor who raised an eyebrow toward me : And, to say that she is the best editor in the world with an intelligence that matches the Gods. : Editor shoves the barrel harder into my skull as I sweat profusely before rolling my eyes : She wants me to say a falsehood, but I rather die than say it!!! : Gun fires and a dead author lays in a pool of her blood, dead, while the editor glares at the `poor unfortunate soul' before walking off :