Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ Negima: Ninja Magi Sensei ❯ Vampires of Mahora? ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Negima: Ninja Magi Sensei
A Negima Alternate Universe fanfic by Robster80
 
Chapter 8: Vampires of Mahora?
 
Disclaimer: I do NOT own Negima or its characters, Ken Akamatsu does! I write fanfiction for fun, not profit.
 
Opening notes: This is a Negi/Kaede pairing story. If you do not like this pairing, or not like Kaede, then please stop reading, and no flames! Otherwise, please enjoy!
 
 
 
Negi and Kaede had finished dinner and were in the middle of studying (for Kaede, tutoring for Negi), when a knock came on the door. They knew it wasn't Chamo; he had gone out for “recon,” or so he said, and he usually came and went through the window, not the door.
 
“Who could that be at this hour?”
 
“Probably the usual suspects, de gozaru.” Kaede got up from the table. “I'll answer it-.”

“No, let me. You continue your studies.”

“But-.”

“If it is the other girls, I'll tell them they'll have to schedule an appointment. I've worked on a sign-up sheet with help from Takamichi.” Negi walked over to the kitchen counter, grabbed several sheets of paper that made up his sign-up list, and headed for the door. When he opened it, however, it wasn't any of the girls, but a tall man who smiled back at him.
 
“Uh, may I help you?”
 
The man was silent; he wore black slacks with a matching sports coat and a gray shirt, and his hair was blonde and short. His eyes were blue, and to Negi they seemed to speak for him in place of his mouth.
 
Wait, I think I know who this is! “P-please come in, sir. Nagase-san, you have a visitor.” Negi stepped aside to let the man in.
 
“I do?” Kaede asked, looking up from her books. When she saw the man, she gasped lightly while her mouth formed a wide smile. “Uncle!” She raced up from the table to hug the man. “Uncle, it's great to see you! I wasn't expecting you for at least another month.”
 
Negi stepped back and watched, smiling. His hunch was right; he was the man who encouraged Kaede to pursue her ninja training. He seems like a nice person. And he wasn't surprised by my being here in a girls' dormitory, either. Perhaps the dean told him about me?
 
“Negi-kun, come here and I'll introduce you.”
 
Nodding, Negi walked over and bowed. “Pleased to meet you, sir. My name is Negi Springfield, student teacher of Class 2-A here at Mahora Academy. I'm originally form Wales.”
 
“Uncle” bowed in return, but didn't speak.
 
“Negi-kun,” Kaede said, “this is Charlie Mike, from America. I apologize but he can't speak due to an old injury he suffered years ago. He mostly speaks through gestures, body language, and hand signals.” She turned when she heard scribbling and suddenly she was handed a slip of paper. “Oh, and also notes, sometimes.”
 
“I take it he usually makes visits,” Negi asked.
 
“Yes, but usually on the weekends so we can train together. I guess his job changed his schedule, which sometimes happen occasionally. Oh! Uncle, have you eaten yet? Or would you like a drink? I can run to the convenience store quick and get you something if you'd like.”
 
Uncle Charlie handed Kaede another note, which she took and scanned quickly. Nodding she turned to Negi. “I'll be right back, Negi-kun. Uncle, please don't let anybody else in here, especially if they're from my class.” And she grabbed her coat put on her shoes, and took off through the door.
 
Shortly afterwards, Negi was handed a note from Uncle Charlie. He was surprised by the question written on it: “You must be Nagi's son, right?”
 
“…Y-yes. Nagi Springfield is my… my father. How did you-? You know my father?”
 
Uncle Charlie responded with a nod and another note: “I met him in America some years back. He's a good friend.”
 
Negi smiled at this. “This… this makes me happy, sir. I've… I've only seen my father once, five years ago, briefly.” He turns to point at his staff, which was leaning against the one wall. “He gave me that, and told me to be strong. …You must know then about my real profession, I'm guessing?”
 
Another nod and another note were Uncle's responses.
 
Seeing the note, Negi chuckled. “Y-yes, I guess being silent does have its perks about keeping secrets. And Kaede knows my secret, but she's promised not to tell anyone.”
 
Uncle Charlie smiled at Negi.
 
“Do you… know where my father is now, sir?”
 
But Uncle Charlie shook his head, his smile waning.
 
Negi lowered his head a little. “I see… they even say… he's dead…”
 
The sounds of paper ripping made Negi lift his head. His hand reached out for the new note, which read, “You don't believe that, do you?”
 
“…No. Mainly because they say ten years ago, he died. But, if he did… how could I have seen him six years ago?” Negi turned away and walked over to his staff. He picked it up, holding it in both fists. “Ever since I received this staff… I've studied hard to graduate from the Academy back home. I want to become a Magister Magi, and then… maybe then I'll find my father.”
 
Hearing these words, Uncle Charlie smiled again. Before his yes, he could see Negi turning into his father. The image of Nagi Springfield turned and grinned at him before vanishing.
 
He's like you in a lot of ways, Nagi… I know you're still out there. Don't keep your son waiting for very long.
 
Kaede returned shortly with drinks and snacks. The three sat down together and talked more before Uncle Charlie had to leave. However, he did give Negi one last note. When he read it, though, Negi was puzzled by it.
 
“Beware of Evangeline.”
 
…What did he mean by that?
 
Kaede escorted Uncle Charlie to the door. However, she followed him outside to talk to him once more.
 
“Uncle? There's something you know that I don't. What is it?”
 
Uncle Charlie looked at Kaede for a moment, and then took out his pad and pencil, writing her a lengthy note. He handed it to Kaede and then leaned in to kiss her cheek, saying goodbye to her silently. Then he walked away.
 
Blinking, Kaede watched him go before she looked down at the note:
 
Kaede-chan,
 
“Continue your training, but keep an eye out for Negi. It wouldn't hurt to take him with you on your training weekends. Also, should he need a partner, don't be afraid to step up and offer yourself to him. He'll be facing one of his father's enemies and soon.
 
“Sorry I can't stay, but I only have two days R&R and then I must go back to America, and work. Take care, Kaede-chan. And keep your grades up as well as your training.
 
Carefully, Kaede folded up the note and tucked it away in her pocket. She wasn't sure what it fully meant, but she understood one thing, that Negi was probably in danger.
 
Come to think of it, I never did ask Negi-kun about his parents. I told him a little about mine, after all.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
Asakura toiled over her laptop on her desk, working on the evidence she had gathered so far on Negi. It had only been a full day since she began her investigation on Negi, but she had gained quite a bit of evidence, at least to herself. She had taken pictures, taken voice recordings, and she even set up video recordings in places no one would think to look.
 
Asakura was so busy in her data, she didn't notice Chamo slip into her room through the air vent of her room and land quietly on the floor. When she suddenly felt something on her shoulder, she turned her head with a jerk, surprised.
 
“Wha-?! Oh! It's Negi-kun's pert ermine. How'd you get in here, little guy?”

She gently rubbed his tiny little head. “Well, while you're here, maybe you'd like to take a look at my findings.”
 
Just what I was thinking, ane-san. Hee hee hee! Chamo thought quietly; he knew he had to keep his mouth shut, so to say, or else Asakura would find out who he really was. He looked at the laptop screen as Asakura brought up all of her pictures of Negi.
 
“You've noticed how Negi-kun always has that strange staff of his with him wherever he goes?” she asked Chamo. “I wonder why he has it. It's too big for a walking stick, plus why would a ten-year-old boy have a walking stick anyway. I'm guessing it might be an heirloom from a relative of his.”
 
If only you knew the truth…
 
Asakura quickly went through her collection of Negi pictures. “You might think I'm a bit of a stalker, what with all these pictures I took,” she said to Chamo. “But I'm not. My dream is to become a full-fledged reporter and uncover all the truths of the world. But for now, I mainly just dig into information about my classmates and my school. I kinda know almost all of their secrets, save for a few. I'm telling you all this, little ermine, because I know you can keep a secret. Am I right?”
 
Chamo just nods, while mentally he laughed.
 
Then, Asakura opened a file folder on her laptop that revealed many smaller folders, each named after her classmates. “I've gotten a lot of info on my classmates, including height and bust-sizes. Although, some are still incomplete or ongoing investigations. Kaede and Misora are among those as they usually give me the slip when I try to investigate them and their hobbies. Plus, I do have oen girl here I have absolutely have no data on…”

Chamo looked as Asakura clicked on a folder that held only a picture. He blanched a bit; it was of Evangeline. It's that creepy little girl from the bathes!
 
“This is Evangeline A.K. McDowell,” Asakura stated. “I've got the least info on her out of all the others in 2-A. She was brought here to the Dean by some unknown party, but she knows Takahata-sensei from before he was our class's teacher. The only people other than the Dean and Takahata she pals around with are Chachamaru and sometimes Nakase. Other than that, her school club activities are the Go and Tea ceremony clubs. She lives in an old cottage on campus grounds but rarely allows visitors.”
 
Asakura looked again at Chamo. “Each of my classmates have an interesting air about them. Plus, given the diversity of my classmates backgrounds and ages, there's so much to discover yet. Say… maybe you could help me with my intelligence-gathering. You're cute and furry, so you'd be a nice distraction when needed, and I bet you could find a thing or two hidden in my classmates' rooms. …Yeah, right. You're just a plain, old ermine. What am I thinking?”
 
She stands up. “Well, I dunno how you got into my room, but I'd better take you back to Negi-kun before he wonders where you are. …Or would you like to stay with me tonight?” seeing Chamo nod a bit, Asakura smiles. “Okay then. But, in the morning you go back to Negi-kun. Well… I'm a bit bushed, so I think I'll go to bed.”

Chamo got down to the floor as Asakura left her laptop on, but turned off her lights and went to bed. Once he was sure she was asleep, he hopped up to the desk and began scouring through Asakura's files.
 
Wow! She really does have in inside dope on most of her classmates! Picking some sweeties for pactios with aniki will be a snap now. …heh, maybe…
 
Chamo looked over at Asakura, smiling.
 
Maybe… I should bring her into my operation…
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
“Bye, Akira! Bye, Yuna!”
 
Yuna and Akira waved at Ako and Makie as the friends parted ways. Makie and Ako were on their way to the bathes while the others were just coming from there. The weather was beginning to warm up, so they used the outside walkways to get to and from the bathhouse and the dorms.
 
“So far this new semester's been nice,” Yuna commented.
 
“Is it because you haven't had to buy new bras to match your still-growing boobs? …or because of our new teacher?”
 
Yuna sighed. “The former. My boobs grew again, but not so much this time. It's only begun to get tight in my bra. And yeah, I like Negi-kun; nothing against Takahata-sensei, but Negi makes learning a bit more fun.”
 
“Plus most of the class is taken with him,” Akira pointed out. “Especially Makie, Class rep, and also Kaede.”

“Yeah, she's lucky to have him stay with her. Then again, he must help her out a lot with her studies given her status in class. …Say, Akira, I got an idea. How about we ask Negi-kun to spend the night in our room? You know, like a sleepover?”
 
Akira smiled at this. “I think that would be a good idea. Perhaps by staying in our room a night, he might-.”

High-pitched shrieks of horror cut Akira off, and she and Yuna jerked around to look back behind them. They recognized the two voices.
 
“Ako & Makie!”
 
“Come on!”
 
Dropping their bath baskets in haste, the girls ran back along the cherry blossom tree walkways of the campus back towards the bathhouse. Halfway past where they met their friends earlier, they came to a halt, gasping.
 
Both Makie and Ako were on the ground, unconscious; their bath belongings scattered about them. Ako was on her back while Makie laid on her side; both girls had their eyes closed. But what caught attention the most about them were the small trickles of blood coming from their necks, like something out of a horror movie.
 
Yuna knelt down bad quickly checked for pulses.. She sighed with little relief. “They're both alive, but we can't leave them here. Akira, run back to the dorm and get help! I'll look after them. Go!”
 
“Right!” Akira turned quickly and took off running.
 
Once she was gone, Yuna began to examine the bitemarks she saw on Makie and Ako's necks. Her lips formed a deep frown. “Just what happened here… and why?”
 
High above the scene atop the roofs of the campus buildings, Evangeline chuckled darkly. Her mouth was stained a little with fresh blood, both form Maki and Ako. She wore a black little dress with stocking and a witch's cap. Behind her was a nearly full moon, casting its pale light behind her.
 
“You may find out soon enough… Yuna Akashi. Hmm-hmm-hmm-hmmm! Oh boya, enjoy these days while you can. For soon… you'll never enjoy the daylight ever again…”
 
“Would it be wise to make your move on the son of the Thousand Master so soon, Dark Evangeline?”
 
“I have to strike while the forge is hot.” Evangeline turned to glance at the older blonde woman clothed in a black outfit similar to an S & M queen. “Or were you hoping to get a crack at him first, Takane D. Goodman?”
 
“I mere wish to point out that Negi Springfield has reached a friendship with the catholic mage Kasuga Misora and her master Sister Shakti of the Mahora Campus Church. Should you instigate an attack on Negi, they will retaliate.”
 
Evangeline smiled still. “That's where you come in… my dear friend.”
 
Hearing this made Takane smile just as darkly as Evangeline. “Goodie.”
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
Negi and Kaede rushed into the nurse's office to find most of Class 2-A circled around two beds, where Ako and Makie slept. All heads turned to see them enter.
 
“What happened?” Negi asked.
 
“Akira and I were coming back from the baths last night,” Yuna explained, “and we past them on our way. We left them but only two minutes when we heard screams and raced back to see if they were okay, and we found them lying on the ground, unconscious. They also had some kind of wounds on their necks as they were bleeding a bit.”
 
“They're fine, Negi-sensei,” Ayaka added. “Whatever happened to them, the nurse stated they just needed some rest since they lost a little blood. However, they won't be attending class today.”
 
“Where did you find them, de gozaru?”
 
“Cherry Blossom Path,” Akira answered.
 
Fumika shrieked at this. “Ch-cherry Blossom Path?! But… that's where the vampire strikes!”
 
Negi looked at her, a skeptical look on his face. “Vampire?”
 
“It's just a silly rumor,” Asuna spoke up, “besides, Fumika and Fuka are big on gossip.”
 
“It's NOT gossip, Asuna-san,” Fumika cried in defense. “It's the truth! I've actually talked to a few girls who were attacked similarly to Makie and Ako!”
 
“Plus Evangeline-san warned us not to go wandering outside when it's close to or there's a full moon out,” Fuka added.
 
Negi blinked. Evangeline?! Quickly he pulled out his roster book and checked it. He found Evangeline's picture and saw Takahata's note that he should ask Evangeline for advice if he needed it. However, he also recalled Uncle Charlie's warning “beware of Evangeline.”
 
Perhaps I should have a talk with this Evangeline-san…
 
Suddenly Negi detected something was off in the room, something magical. “I think you girls should let Izumi-san and Sasaki-san rest now, girls. Besides, the bell will be ringing soon.”

“Yes, Negi-sensei…” Ayaka began gently herding her classmates out of the office. However, Kaede and Misora remained behind with Negi.
 
“You feel it, too, Negi-kun?” Misora asked, looking serious.
 
Nodding, Negi moved closer to Makie and gently touched her neck, right where she had been “bit.” “I'm sensing slight magic from both these girls. Whatever attacked them, I doubt it was a vampire, but perhaps a mage.”
 
“But who? And why?”
 
Misora bit her lip; she had a hunch whom it was, but she couldn't tell. “It might be best if… we don't go outside tonight alone. Or just in twos.”
 
“Sounds like a good idea to me,” Chamo spoke up as he bounded into the office and up onto Makie's bed. “And if it is a mage's doing, aniki, you'd better not get involved, at least not yet. Trust me. I'm getting bad vibes form these girls, and it's not from them personally.”
 
Negi's hands tightened their grip on his staff. He couldn't just stand by while two of his students were injured, and the rest possibly in danger.
 
I must do something…
 
 
End Chapter 8
 
 
Closing notes: Okay, given the lack of reviews of my last chapter, I'm guessing not a lot of people liked it. Hopefully, this chapter will be a little better. I'm trying to build up to certain plot points for later on, and I'm hoping this story's getting better.
 
Before you die-hard fans jump down my throat, I know that “Charlie Mike” isn't HIS real name for his true character. However, I'm using that name form Wikipedia rather than making up a name from scratch. As for why I brought Takane D. Goodman form the Mahora Fest Arc from the manga, let's just say that haughty shadow-user mage got under my skin after re-reading the manga up to volume 14.
 
AND remember! This is an Alternate Universe fanfiction! That means things from the original source CHANGE! So please don't go jumping down my throat about out-of-characterness (so far I've had one to two polite remarks, but this is just in case). After all, this is fanfiction; things change as we write about our favorite characters. That includes settings, personalities, and whatnot.
 
Also, with this latest chapter, I once again announce I am leaving for Daytona Beach, Florida for a week of R&R. But the laptop goes with me as my place of staying will have wireless internet available. So chapter 9 will be worked on if not posted during my vacation.
 
Please read & review, and also I ask that somebody out there please write a Kaede and Negi story. This coupling needs more love, you know?
 
-R80