Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ Negima: Ninja Magi Sensei ❯ The Negi War Begins…? ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Negima: Ninja Magi Sensei
A Negima Alternate Universe fanfic by Robster80
 
Chapter 7: The Negi War Begins…?
 
Disclaimer: I do NOT own Negima or its characters, Ken Akamatsu does! I write fanfiction for fun, not profit.
 
Opening notes: This is a Negi/Kaede pairing story. If you do not like this pairing, or not like Kaede, then please stop reading, and no flames! Otherwise, please enjoy!
 
 
 
“Not that I care, but what's got you so wound up?” Asuna asked Ayaka as they and most of their classmates were in the bathhouse that Sunday evening. Asuna had noticed Ayaka had been quiet, and especially sulking, since they set foot in the baths.
 
“Just leave me alone, Asuna,” was all Ayaka said as she soaked in the bathwater.
 
Shrugging, Asuna turned her attention to Konoka, inquiring about a rumor she had heard about Negi taking an ermine for a pet. Knoka replied that it was true, and her grandfather gave his okay on letting the ermine stay as long as Negi was responsible in caring for it.
 
“So, what's Kaede's room like?” Makie asked, overhearing Konoka's story of how she visited Negi and Kaede's room earlier that day.
 
“Can't really say, Makie; I didn't get to go past the front door. But I'm sure it's the same as any of our dorm rooms.”
 
“Save for the panty drawers rigged to launch shuriken when you open it,” Ayaka spat.
 
“Sh-shuriken?!” a number of girls cried.
 
Asuna raised an eyebrow. “And what were you doing going into Kaede's drawers? …A little jealous, are we?”
 
Ayaka gave a hollow laugh. “Jealous?! Why would I be jealous of Nagase?”
 
“Gee, I dunno. Maybe… because she's two ranks higher than you?”
 
“Asuna has a point,” Asakura added as she dumped a bucket of warm water down her back. “Among the top five girls who are most endowed in our class, you, Class Rep, are number five and Kaede is number three.”
 
“And who are the others, out of curiosity?” Haruna asked while she, Yue, and Nodoka washed each other's backs.
 
“So glad you asked,” Asakura stated. “I've committed it to memory: number one is Chizuru Naba, number two is Mana Tatsumiya, and number four… is me.”
 
At this, Ayaka turned around to glare at Asakura. “No way! You are not above me as far as… you know…”
 
“Oh? Come over her and compare sizes.”
 
“N-no thanks!”
 
Ako put a finger to her chin in thought. “You think Kaede's bust size is the reason why Dean Konoe put Negi-kun with her?”
 
“I'm not sure, Ako. I know that it's what grandpa wanted, so I'm sure he has his reasons. Not to mention Kaede's been rooming by herself since she started junior high.”
 
“You think if we asked him, Dean Konoe will allow Negi-kun to change rooms?” Yue asked. “Nodoka and I could make room for him.”

Nodoka blushed at this. “Y-Yue-!”
 
“…Now why didn't I think of that?” Ayaka asked aloud. “I mean, nothing against Nagase but her room is a deathtrap. Poor Negi-sensei could get hurt or worse from her traps-.”

Natsumi then spoke up. “Uh, Ayaka, don't you remember that you, me, and Chizuru are sharing a room together? It's tight enough as it is with three people…”
 
“That's easy to fix. You or Chizuru can move in with Nagase.”

“WHA-?!”
 
“Say, Makie, maybe we can ask the dean to have Negi-kun stay with you and me?”
 
“Yeah! Great idea, Ako!”
 
“Wait, what if Fumika and I want him to stay with us?”

“Yeah, we do, too!”
 
“Bakas,” Evangeline muttered as she cleaned herself in a distant corner of the bathhouse. “The whole lot of them.”
 
“For once, we agree on something,” Chisame murmured, also keeping her distance from their classmates. “I mean, fighting over a ten year old boy for a roommate.”
 
“Oh, that won't matter much longer.”

“…Why do you say that? You know something we don't?”

“That's my little secret.”

Chisame shrugged and returned to her bathing. It didn't matter one way or another if Negi stayed or went, to her. He didn't bother her and she kept her distance to him, and that's how she liked it.
 
“What's all the hullabaloo?” Misora asked as she walked into the baths. “You girls seem to be gossiping big time.”

“It's not gossip,” Asuna retorted as she was leaving. “They're arguing over whom gets to have Negi-bozu as their roommate. …Even Konoka.”
 
“And you're not happy with that?”

“The bozu's nothing but trouble. Remember what happened with Nodoka in the library?” Asuna asked as she walked out the door to the changing rooms.
 
Which was Chao's fault originally, but like you'd even care. Misora then walked over to join the group. “So what brought this on?”
 
“As if you need to ask,” Ayaka snapped. “You were there when I nearly got my head cut off-!”
 
“Serves you right, peeking into places your nose doesn't belong. Also, I think you all should leave well enough alone. If Dean Konoe felt it right to put Negi-sensei into Kaede's care, then we should trust in his judgment.”
 
“But no hurt ask if Negi-bozu switch room, yes?” Ku Fei asked. “Me Baka ranger, too, like Kaede. Me could use homeschool. Plus me strong!”
 
“Ku's got a point,” Chao added. “Plus I'm not bad at fighting myself.” She then patted her chest. “Although, I could stand to have these babies grow a little more. Ku's even bigger than me, and not by much, either.”

“I think Misora-san has the right idea,” Mana spoke up, which was rare. “Negi-sensei's fine where he is with rooming arrangements.”
 
However, the other girls began to argue again. As they did, none of them noticed that they were being watched, from the shadows, by Chamo. The ermine chuckled quietly, admiring the view.
 
Oh yeah! Aniki hit the jackpot with this group. Only a few need further development as far as T & A goes, but some magic could fix that, once I place a small order on the Magic Black Market…
 
Then, Chamo turned his attention over to Evangeline. He didn't know why, but he felt a cold shiver run down his spine at the sight of her. Something told him she was… trouble. However, before he could contemplate any further, he noticed she turned in his direction, as if she noticed him somehow. Ducking, he decided perhaps it was time for him to take his leave.
 
Odd, Evangeline thought, I could have sworn I sensed that earlier sensation of something crossing the border of the campus.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
Dean Konoe was most surprised when he walked into his office early Monday morning to find most of Class 2-A waiting or him. “Oh my. What could possibly bring you all here before classes, girls? I hope it's nothing bad. …Or is it concerning Negi-sensei?”
 
“Sorry to bug you like this, Grandpa,” Konoka spoke up first. “And yes, it is about Negi-kun, but he's done nothing wrong.”
 
“He hasn't? Then why are you here?”
 
The girls placed several papers on Dean Konoe's desk. He took one and examined it. “…This is a request of a change in room assignment.”
 
“They all are, Dean Konoe,” Ayaka replied. “You see… we feel Negi-sensei might be… taken advantage of by Nagase if he stays with her. Therefore, we'd like him to find new and better lodgings on campus.”
 
“With one or more of you,” the dean added, stroking his beard. “I see now. And you share in this notion, granddaughter?”
 
“Yes and no. Although, Asuna's not happy I'm doing this.”
 
“I see…” Dean Konoe looked over each of the requests, and then shook his head. “Please forgive me, ladies, but my decision is final. Negi-sensei will remain with Kaede Nagase for the duration.”
 
“Awwwwwwwww!”
 
“But, but Dean-!”
 
Raising a hand to silence the girls, especially Ayaka, the Dean then said, “Let me amend my earlier statement. Placing Negi with Kaede was my decision. However, his remaining with her is solely up to him and him alone. All he'd have to do is come to my office and request a change in his accommodations, despite we're so short on room currently. Only if he comes and makes such a request, then I will allow him to seek lodgings elsewhere. Now, you all had better get to class.”
 
As the group of girls turned to walk out of the office, they heard Dean Konoe speak again.
 
“One more thing, girls… I do NOT want Negi-sensei coming here and feeling pressured into changing lodgings. Not only will I deny the request, but I will conduct a full investigation and the culprits will be severely punished. Depending on the severity, expulsion from Mahora will be considered. Just a word of caution.”
 
“H-hai!” the girls replied before exiting.
 
“Seems Negi-kun's become popular with the girls,” Takahata chuckled as he approached the desk; he had caught the end of the conversation when he entered the office. “Though I think their reasons for wanting him to move out form Kaede's room are more selfish than they admitted.”
 
“Hence why I warned them. However, my decision was based on a certain student of Negi's that may give him some trouble.”
 
“You mean-?”

“Yes. Out of the girls of 2-A, Kaede was the most logical choice. And besides, she was by herself, unlike the other two. So, Takahata, what brings you here to me?”
 
“I was thinking, Dean… for the field trip in the coming months, we could have it in Kyoto.”

“…You do know things are not so good in our relations there with the Kansai Magci Group, Takahata. Why suggest Kyoto?”
 
“Well, we both know he used to hang out there in the past. Plus I thought it would be a good idea for Negi to meet with Konoka's father and learn a few things about-.”

“Say no more. You've given me something to consider, at the most. Now, how does Negi-kun seem to you as a teacher?”
 
“Popular with the girls aside, he seems to be making some progress with the five, especially Asuna. She's trying to keep her grades up so she doesn't have to have after-class sessions anymore. Though she's doing so because she's not very fond of him.”
 
“I see. Let's hope that will change come finals. I'm thinking about using them for Negi's final test…”
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
Classes went by quickly for 2-A, and at the end, many of the girls rushed to Negi's desk, asking questions about the lessons. Some also offered Negi invitations to pay them visits for private tutoring. When this lead to arguments and fighting, Kaede and Misora were quick to grab Negi and escape class.
 
“Looks like their attempts to get Negi-sensei to switch rooms was a failure,” Misora mused aloud. She had explained what had gone on last night to Kaede as they and Negi walked to class, so Kaede knew the full story.
 
“Looks like Negi-kun has the Ranma Saotome curse, de gozaru.”

“Ranma Saotome?” Negi asked, clueless. “Who's he?”
 
“You're better off not knowing, trust us.”
 
Chamo appeared on Negi's shoulder. “Hey, ain't Ranma Saotome the main character in a manga where he's got lots of girls after him and also a bunch of rivals-?”
 
“Hence why we said he was better off NOT knowing,” Kaede hissed. “We didn't want to scare him.”
 
Chamo, despite the glare form Kaede, then laughed. “At least aniki doesn't change sexes when he's hit with cold or warm water. Still, I'm amazed you're so popular with the girls, Negi. A pactio with any one of them wouldn't be any harm-.”
 
“No, Chamo-kun. And keep your voice down! …I don't want to involve any more of my students with my secret. Not all of them would be able to keep it to themselves like Nagase-san or Misora- san.”
 
“Negi-kun has a valid point,” Kaede added. “And Negi-kun, you can call me Kaede when we're not in classes.”
 
“He's just being overly formal, Kaede-nesan. It's one of his flaws/qualities.”
 
“Say, Negi… I've been meaning to ask, how does a pactio go? I mean, how does it work?”
 
Chamo smiled. “So glad you asked, Anesan-!”
 
“I'LL explain this one,” Misora stated. “Kaede, a pactio is a magical contract a magi makes with someone. The contract creates a bond between the minister magi and the magister magi, allowing the wizard or witch to grant powers unto the partner to better defend them while they cats spells. Minister magi's gain ten times their normal strength, so you, for example, would be on the level of, say, the Hulk, minus the green skin and bulging muscles.”
 
“Oooooh, I think I'd like that.”
 
Misora continued their explanation, but also kept an eye out to ensure no one else overheard her. “Given his age, though, Negi-sensei would only be able to make probationary contracts until he becomes of age. So it's possible for him to make more than one probationary pactios until he's old enough to make a permanent one, hopefully with the right girl.”
 
“I get it; it's like a trial period, similar to how AOL or Netscape or other various internet services give trial times for people to sample their services.”
 
“Exactly. Now, this is where it gets hairy…” Misora suddenly blushed a bit. “Pactios have always been, and it is a tradition going back for centuries, sealed with a kiss.”
 
“A… kiss?” Negi and Kaede asked simultaneously, Negi appearing more shocked.
 
“On the lips,” Chamo added. “Anywhere else, say on the forehead or cheek, and it's a botched contract. That would only grant a very small percentage of power to the contractees. Plus, it creates a lousy pactio card.”
 
Misora reached into her jacket and pulled out what appeared to be a tarot card with her picture on it. It had her name on it plus other words, but in Latin or another ancient form of writing. “This is a pactio card, created when a contract is made. The wizard/witch and the partner each get one, which also allows for telepathic communication. The partner, the minister magi, gains abilities and an artifact suited to their personalities and likes. As it shows here, my pactio artifact reflects my track and field abilities.”
 
So then my artifact would be related to my ninja training, wouldn't it? Kaede thought. This is definitely something to mull over, de gozaru.
 
“Yet while you got a pactio already,” Chamo spoke up again, “you could, say, make a probationary pactio with aniki.”
 
Misora put her card away. “I could… but only if the situation called for it, which it doesn't right now. Also, as Negi stated again and again, we shouldn't, and cannot, involve the other girls of 2-A. Most of them cannot keep a secret to save their lives, especially-.”
 
“Hello!”
 
Negi, Kaede,a nd Misora stopped as Asakura popped up right in front of them, smiling. To Kaede and Misora, Asakura smiling like that usually meant trouble. Chamo closed his mouth and hid mostly behind Negi's shoulder.
 
“My, you three certainly are chummy today,” she remarked, still smiling. “Planning a double date, are we? Hmm?”
 
“N-nothing of the sort,” Negi spoke up, his face a little pink. “You know the rules about students and teachers dating, Kazumi-san.”
 
“Asakura, please, Negi-kun. We're not in class anymore today.”
 
“What is it you're after?” Kaede asked, getting to the point.
 
“Oh, I'm not after anything. I'm only interested in finding out the facts.” She then whips out a mini-recorder and turns it on. “But I do have some questions for Negi-kun. First off, what's it really like living in the same dorm as Kaede?”
 
Blinking, Negi thought about his answer. “Well… It's almost like I'm back home in Wales, really. Kaede reminds me a little of my cousin, Nekane, whom I used to live with since I was little.”
 
“I see. So the death traps she installed for security reasons and her training don't bother you at all? You do know she rigged her panty drawers to fling shuriken out of anybody but her opens it.”
 
“I shut off most of the traps,” Kaede answered for Negi, crossing her arms. “As for my drawers, the good thing about Negi-kun is that he is an English gentleman and doesn't go rooting through my things.”
 
“Nagase-san's shown me her traps and taught me how to not set off the rest in case she asks me to fetch something for her. As long as I'm careful around our home, I don't mind the traps at all.”

“Suppose you wanted to change rooming assignments. Would you room with other students in your class?”
 
“What?”
 
Misora sighed and then explained. “Most of the girls were talking about it last night at the bathes. They were going to ask the Dean to let you move out from Kaede's room into one of theirs.”
 
“Only the dean declined the requests,” Asakura added. “He also said the decision as solely yours, but he also warned the girls not to force you to make the decision.”

“Hence why the numerous questions after classes ended,” Kaede finished. “And I bet Class Rep is the one who started this whole thing.”
 
Asakura nodded. “She's afraid Negi-kun will get hurt or killed by your traps. Though she really should've known better than to search a ninja's panty drawers.”
 
“Ninja?” Kaede repeated. “I dunno what you mean.”
 
Shrugging, Asakura turned her attention back to Negi. “Back to my question, Negi-kun; if you decided to relocate, which of the other girls would you stay with? Class Rep? Konoka and Asuna? Nodoka and Yue? Makie and Ako? Who? Who?”
 
“I… I don't really know. I mean, I have yet to get to know all of my students… The only ones I know well are Nagase-san and Misora-san.”
 
“But that's the fun part of moving in with a new roomie, Negi-kun. After all, that's how you started with Kaede. And she's not the only girl in class who needs academic assistance. There's Ku Fei, and Yue, and Makie, and also Ausna… Uh, scratch Asuna, given how she and you don't get along to well… Anyway, Nodoka seems to like you. She used to be so super shy around guys, even Takahata-sensei.”
 
“All I did was help her when she nearly took a fall down some stairs. Nothing else.”
 
Asakura smiled. “Bet she'd ask you to stay with her and Yue if she got the courage to-.”
 
“Actually, Kazumi-san, I'm… quite happy where I am now,” Negi replied suddenly. “And besides, I'm still a temporary teacher here. For all I know, I may not stay on after this semester.”
 
“Now, now,” Kaede said, putting a gentle, reassuring hand on Negi's shoulder. “You're doing fine with the five Baka Rangers since your started teaching our class. I mean, Asuna's working harder than ever to keep her grades up.”
 
Asakura nodded, but kept her mouth shut about Asuna's real reason behind her increased studying. “Well, Negi-kun… I'm sure the girls would fight tooth and nail to keep you here, even as a tutor.” She shut off her recorder and put it away. “I've asked enough questions. But Negi? If you want to know more about your students, you come see me. I've got the skinny of just about everybody.”
 
The remark made Misora's skin crawl. She prayed silently that Asakura didn't have much “skinny” on her.
 
Chamo eyed Asakura as she patted Negi on the head, said her goodbyes, and walked off. Got the skinny on almost all her classmates, eh? Heh, heh, heh… I think… maybe I can have her help me with the pactios…
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
Chachamaru bowed toward Evangeline, who sat on the roof of a part of the main building. “Good afternoon, mistress. Was your tea ceremony club meeting enjoyable?”
 
“…It was okay,” was all Evangeline said. She didn't turn around, but looked out towards the sky, where she could see the moon, barely, in the late-afternoon, early evening sky. She looked at it interestingly, hungrily. “Only three more days till the next full moon.”
 
“Yes, mistress. When your powers return as per the lunar cycle.”
 
The miniature junior high-schooler licked her lips, a dark smile forming. “Soon, I won't have to worry about this damned waiting.
 
“…Once I drink that boya dry…”
 
 
End Chapter 7
 
 
Closing notes: Once again, I'm late in posting. Then again, I had to work all this weekend, and Monday I slept in and went out for groceries and then replayed video games all day. And then there's my usual AIM chatting story ideas and scenes with my good friend and fellow writer. Oh, distractions, distractions…
 
Anyway, here's chapter 7 for your pleasure, dear readers. And now, for an announcement or two…
 
On March 8th, I will be leaving for Daytona Beach, Florida for a week or so. Does this mean I'll have to postpone my writing then and make haste with chapter 8 before I go? Not quite. See, where I'll be staying at in Daytona, I'll have wireless internet. So I'll still be posting, or so I plan to. As for this weekend, I'll be working again, so while I make no promises, I will try for chapter 8 before I go to Florida.
 
Please read and review, folks!