Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ Negima: Ninja Magi Sensei ❯ The Big Scoop That Almost Was ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Negima: Ninja Magi Sensei
A Negima Alternate Universe fanfic by Robster80
 
Chapter 10: The Big Scoop That Almost Was
 
Disclaimer: I do NOT own Negima or its characters, Ken Akamatsu does! I write fanfiction for fun, not profit.
 
Opening notes: This is a Negi/Kaede pairing story. If you do not like this pairing, or not like Kaede, then please stop reading, and no flames! Otherwise, please enjoy!
 
One more thing: the flashback scene in this chapter will be written in italics.
 
 
 
The air was still inside Kaede and Negi's room, no movement, not talking. Everyone just stared in shock at Asakura, who stood before them all. A minute ago, she just walked into the dorm, using a key Chamo had given her to let herself in. Even Cocone, who rarely showed any emotion, allowed a small bead of sweat to roll down her forehead at the turn of events.
 
Suddenly, Misora grabbed Chamo, her grip threatening it squeeze the life out of the rodent. “You! You have ANY idea how deep in serious shit we're in now, you damned weasel?! Negi, Cocone, and I will be ermines by noon tomorrow now that Paparazzi Asakura knows about us!”
 
Kaede whipped out one of her kunai. “I'll make him into a set of gloves-!”
 
Negi began to panic as well, flailing his arms while spirals replaced his eyes. “Ch-Chamo-kun, how could you?! We were warned especially not to let Asakura-san find out-!”
 
“Dirty rat,” Cocone added, cracking her knuckles.
 
Asakura put two fingers into her mouth, inhaled, and let out a very loud whistle. “Okay, you gals and guys, CALM DOWN!!!” After giving the room a few seconds of renewed, stunned silence, she spoke again. “Look, despite my reputation, I'm not going to tell anybody or make a story out of this, okay? So Negi-kun and Misora are mages. I'm willing to keep the secret.”
 
In a flash, Kaede was in front of Asakura, still gripping a kunai in her fist. “Why should we believe you?”
 
“Because Chamo-kun filled me in on what would happen if the world found out about Negi-kun's secret, and also pleaded his case about the pactio thing. Besides, if I did spill this story and Negi-kun got sent home, there would be a line of our classmates who'd maim or murder me for blowing the whistle, with Makie and Class Rep jockeying for first in line. Make that second, after you. Not to mention I'd be expelled, given several teachers and the Dean are also involved. You have any idea how strict my parents are about my education? Not to mention they'd be pissed about the waste of all their money they paid to get me into Mahora.”
 
Negi moved to Asakura, his eyes soulful and sad. “You won't tell anyone? Really?”
 
Smiling at him, Asakura took a hand and gave him a gentle patting. “My lips are sealed, my recorder is off, and no hidden cameras or microphones. I give you my word as a lady.”
 
Kaede grabbed Asakura by the front of her shirt. “You had me… until the remark about your honor.”

“Okay, okay. All I ask is to be Negi-kun's press manager, and his receptionist. You know that our classmates won't give up until they get him to move in with one of them, right?”
 
Sighing in slight frustration, Kaede turned back to the table. “Chamo-san, of all people, WHY did it have to be Kazumi Asakura?”
 
“Better me than Paru.”

Misora and Kaede began to swat at the name. “Oh yes…”

“We forgot about her.”

Negi tilted his head to the side, blinking I confusion. “Paru? Who is that?”

“That's the nickname for Haruna, Negi-kun,” Misora replied. “Haruna Saotome, seat 14. Actually, the name Paru is her penname for her doujins she works on.”

“Oh yes, she's friends with Ayase-san and Miyazaki-san.”

“And,” Asakura added, “she's a bigger blabbermouth than I am. Seriously, even I know how to keep a secret; she doesn't.”
 
Chamo suddenly bounded off the table and up onto Asakura's shoulder. “And to answer the court's question, I approached Asakura-nesan here because she's a wealth of information. It's true; I've seen her database she's made on her classmates.”

“My incomplete database, to be more precise.”
 
“I'm curious,” Negi then said, “Chamo, exactly how did you approach Asakura-san?”
 
“Oh that took careful plotting, aniki, believe me. After what Misora-nesan there said about her, I knew I had to play it safe. Last night I snuck into her room using the air vents, and pretending to be a plain old ermine that couldn't talk, I got to gather my intelligence on her.”

Smiling sheepishly, Asakura put a hand behind her head. “Yeah, he fooled me totally. I kinda showed him my laptop, falling for his innocent act. Plus, I let him stay in my room last night, and he, while I was asleep, checked out my database on our class. Then when I woke up, he was gone. All I found was a note that said for me to come right back after class and I'd get a “big scoop.” So I did…”
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
Asakura walked into her dorm room, locking the door behind her and took off her shoes. Walking further into the room, she laid her school bag down on her table and looked around. “Okay… I came back like the note said to. So… now I suppose I have to wait for this scoop whoever left that note mentioned.”
 
“Wait no more, Kazumi Asakura; because I've been waiting for you, actually.”
 
She blinked. Was someone in the room with her? How did they get in with the door locked? She looked around carefully. “Who… where are you?”
 
“I'll reveal myself shortly. However, we must come to terms about what I'm about to reveal to you. My terms.”
 
“Your terms? You greatly underestimate me. When I get wind of a scoop, I use any means necessary to bring it to light. And I'm quite thorough.”
 
“I'm well aware of your “talents” anesan. However, should you fail to accept my terms, the deal's off. And even if you uncover this scoop, it will only case you trouble in the end. You see… this revolves around your teacher, Negi Springfield. And he is quite popular with your classmates. How would they feel, I wonder, if they learn YOU were responsible for his sudden termination as a teacher here? Especially one as rich and vengeful as Ayaka Yukihiro? Not to mention Kaede Nagase has ways of making one pay for crossing her and her friends.”
 
Asakura gulped. She suddenly imagining the two mentioned and the rest of her class, sans a select few, looming over her with various blunt and torturous tools. She actually started to sweat. “I… I see your point. Tell me your terms.”

“First of all, nobody… and I mean NOBODY, must hear what I'll reveal to you. Like I said, it could result in the immediate firing of Negi. Second, you'll use your talents to work for me on certain projects. And third, you will not record or make note about any of this.”
 
“…Sounds fair.”
 
“Does it? Then how about a show of good faith, anesan? In other words… take out that hidden recorder in your vest!”
 
Nodding, Asakura reached into her vest pocket, pulled out a mini-recorder, and stopped it. She then hit the erase button, erasing everything recorded on the mini-cassette up until then, and then set it down on the table. “How's that?”
 
“Very good. Now, to show I'm not so heartless, here's what I'm offering to you. You're going to be Negi's press agent and receptionist. In other words, nobody gets to talk to Negi without going through you first, except for the other teachers and the dean, of course.”
 
At this offer, Asakura rubbed her chin. “His agent, huh? …That could be interesting. Plus I'll gather more info on him this way for my database. I accept.”
 
“Excellent!”
 
Suddenly Chamo appeared from behind the sofa. He bounded along the floor and onto the table, standing on his hind legs.
 
“…Huh? Negi-kun's ermine?”
 
“The name is Albert Chamomile, anesan. But you can call me Chamo for short.”
 
An awkward silence followed, with Asakura blinking several times at the ermine. She had to have been hearing things. The was no way this ermine just spoke to her, and in the same voice as whomever she just bargained with. It must be some sort of trick. Gotta be ventriloquism, or even a robot puppet made by Satomi. Ermines don't talk-.
 
“What, I got something on my face? Or in my fur? I'm the real deal here, nesan. Your eyes aren't playing tricks, nor are your ears. I'm talking to ya.”
 
Slowly, she knelt down to get a better look at Chamo. Her hand reached up and out to poke him gently with a finger. “You're… not made of metal… and you're not one of those Fur-Real toys from America…”
 
“Puh-leeze! Those kiddie toys are an insult to animals everywhere.

His voice; Asakura was sure it wasn't coming from elsewhere in the room. “…SUGOI! A real-life talking ermine! Oh this will be big-!”
 
“Hold those horses of yours, Asakura,” Chamo stated. “Remember our agreement!”
 
“…Wait a minute! So then… YOU were that person talking with Negi-kun and them in his room on Sunday! Then…” Suddenly, it all started to make sense. “Then you're a magical animal!”

“Bingo!”
 
“And Negikun… he's a-!”

“A mage, yes. Also, Misora-san is a mage-in-training. But Kaede-nesan is just a ninja; nothing magical about her. And if word gets out about aniki's secret, he'll have to go back to Wales in disgrace, have his license revoked, and turned into an ermine on top of it all.”
 
“No wonder you mentioned what would happened to me if I did try to expose this scoop. The girls would really be pissed. And Negi-kun… no offense, but getting turned into an ermine wouldn't be fun. So… why tell me all this?”

“Ain't it obvious, Asakura-nesan? You got more info on the girls of 2-A more than I do. And I could use both your database and your talents for not just aniki's sake, but for my own plans as well.”
 
“…Let's discuss this over tea. I'll brew us up some. You know, Chamo… I think this looks like the beginning of a beautiful partnership.”

“Heh, heh! My thoughts exactly. Especially since we'll be focusing on getting pactio cards…”
 
“Pactio what?”
 
“I'll explain while you're making that tea.”
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
“…And that's it,” Chamo finished, except for explaining why he really wanted the pactio cards.
 
Misora, Cocone, Negi, and Kaede frowned; they weren't happy that this was all about the pactios again. “Chamo-san, if that's why you brought Asakura-san into the fold,' Kaede began, “then you were wrong to do so. I can be Negi-kun's pactio partner.”
 
“So could I,” Misora added, “even though I already have my own pactio card. We don't need to involve the other girls.”
 
“Think of it more like exploring other options,” Chamo stated. “Not that I'm saying you two are weak, mind you; we got almost thirty girls in Class 2-A to consider making pactios with. Plus we may need more than one since we got three enemies.”
 
“Enemies?” Asakura repeated. “Since when?”
 
“Since earlier tonight. Two of them are your classmates: Evangeline A.K. McDowell, and Chachamaru Karakuri. And a senior high student named Takane D. Goodman. Evangeline's the leader of the group.”

“Hmmmmm… it would have to be two of the classmates I have very little data on… Well, I can try to gather more on them if you want.”
 
Negi shot out of his seat. “N-no! It's too dangerous! Evanegleine-sna is a vampire after all-?”

“A vampire?! …This will be interesting.”

Misora then stood up. “Look… I think we all had enough excitement for one day, especially Negi-kun. Let's call it a night and get some well-deserved rest. We'll talk more after classes tomorrow.”
 
“A very sage idea, Misora-san.” Kaede bowed to her. “I thank you and Cocone-san for helping us earlier tonight. Asakura, you can take Chamo with you to stay in your room.”
 
“Why?!”

Kaede glared at the ermine. “Because I'm still not very pleased with you.”

“Goodenough.” Chamo cringed behind Asakura's shoulder as they left.
 
Sighing heavily, Kaede went to the door to ensure everyone else left and to lock it. She then goes back to the table to see Negi sitting in a chair, head lowered. “Negi-kun?”
 
“What is it? What is Evangeline's connection to my father?” Negi asked himself quietly. “She mentioned a curse…”
 
Poor Negi… this was a lot for him. Not to mention the fact that more of his students are getting involved in his world… Kaede gently placed a hand on his shoulder, snapping him out of his funk. “Come, Negi-kun. It's getting late. You still have a class to teach tomorrow.”
 
“…Oh. Y-yes, you're right…”
 
The two moved to the bedroom and began changing into their pajamas. However, Kaede noticed that Negi was moving a bit slower. He was still putting on his pajamas shirt while she was ready for bed.
 
Poor Negi… this is the first real challenge he's faced as a teacher, a wizard, and a man. Given Evangeline-san and Chachamaru-san are students, he's unsure how to deal with them. They're like bullies…
 
Once Negi finally got his pajamas on fully, he moved to his bunk. However, Kaede stopped him.
 
“No, Negi-kun,” She said softly, bending down to scoop him up in her arms. “You'll share my bed tonight.”

“H-huh?!”

She smiled at him warmly. “You've had a rough evening. Perhaps sharing a bed with sessha will help you feel better.”

“But… but Nagase-! I mean, Kaede-san-!”

“No buts.” Kaede hefted Negi up onto the top bunk and then pulled herself up to join him. In a flash, she had him and herself under the covers and the lamp turned off, the room now enveloped in darkness. Kaede carefully wrapped her arms around Negi and kept him close to her. “There. Are you comfortable, Negi-kun?”
 
His face a dark red, Negi could only nod slightly. Kaede held him close to her body so his face was almost in her chest. Kaede-san's… more endowed than Nekane-neechan is… Suddenly he felt Kaede's lips on his head, giving him a light kiss before she became comfortable and slept quietly. With a light sigh, Negi closed his eyes and soon was asleep.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
Negi dragged his feet as he and Kaede walked to class the next day. He wasn't sure if he could teach that day, especially if Evangeline and Chachamaru were there ready to start something. Even with Kaede's soothing promise to have his back should something happen, memories of the night before haunted him. He felt helpless, and trapped. Negi was so lost in his worries, he barely acknowledged the other girls when they greeting him on their way to class.
 
Kaede frowned, watching Negi's demeanor. She had hoped that him sleeping with her in her bunk the night before would have eased his troubled mind; she had been wrong. Still, she was determined to prevent anything from happening should Evangeline make another move in the classroom.
 
“Negi-kun! Good morning!”
 
“Morning, Negi-kun!”
 
Both Kaede and Negi looked to see Makie and Ako running towards them from behind. This made Negi snap out of his funk, seeing his two students back on their feet and looking ell. “Sasaki-san! Izumi-san! You're both okay.”
 
“Nothing like a full day's sleep to restore one's energy,” Makie said with a grin, her arms stretched out above her head. “We both woke up in the nurse's office last night and were told we were found passed out on Cherry Blossom Path.”
 
“We can't even remember what happened the night before last,” Ako added.
 
They're better off not knowing, Kaede thought.
 
Makie then leaned in close to Negi. “Hey, what's the matter, Negi-kun? You look upset about something.”

“Are you feeling okay?” Ako added. “You know, with the changes in the weather, that's when people are vulnerable to viruses and colds.”

“He just had a rough night, de gozaru,” Kaede explained. “Bad dreams.”

The two girls nodded, accepting Kaede's story. “Well, don't push yourself in case you are coming down with something,” Ako said, gently patting Negi on his head.
 
“And I promise to try and not be a real headache in class today,” Makie stated. Yeah, real brave words, Makie; this from the Baka Ranger Pink.
 
“Are… are you two sure you're okay?” Negi asked.
 
This gave Ako an idea. “Well… if you're concerned about Makie and I… why don't you spend a few days with us in our room-?”
 
“Sasaki-san! Izumi-san!” Ayaka cried, racing up to the group. “Whiel it is good to see you both up and about, shouldn't you two be getting to class before the bell rings in…” she checked her watch. “Four minutes?”
 
“Class Rep is right,” Kaede said, taking Negi by the hand. “Let's all get going.”

Ayaka watched in shock as Kaede led Negi away. “N-nagase-san, wait up! I have something to ask Negi-sensei!”
 
“Not without us, Ayaka!”

“Right!”
 
Of all the nerve, Kaede fumed mentally, trying to take advantage of Negi-kun at a time like this! If he moves in with one of the others, Evangeline won't hesitate to attack him and whomever he's with if it's not Misora-san or myself. …Well, maybe not Ku-Fei or Tatsumiya-san… Or even Chao-san…
 
The two, followed by Ayaka, Makie and Ako, reached the classroom to find most of the other students there waiting for them. Yuna and Akira approached Makie and Ako first, followed by some of the other girls. They were surprised and glad to see their friends back in class.
 
Misora and Asakura approached Negi, concerned for him. He tried to give them an assuring smile, but all he could give was a ghost of a smile. His eyes kept glancing towards the back of the room, where Evangeline's empty seat was located. Also, every time he heard the door open, he turned in apprehension to see whom it was.
 
“Yes, it is true.”
 
Negi and his group turned at Ayaka's loud voice as she was talking to Asuna. “My parents both agreed to it. They've contacted the necessary renovators and as of yesterday, my unfinished on-campus mansion is back on course. It should be finished by, I should think, next weekend. When it's done, I'll have a big housewarming party. With Negi-sensei as the guest of honor, of course.”
 
Most of the girls sweatdropped at this, especially Asakura, Kaede, and Misora. They knew what Ayaka's real goal was with her on-campus mansion.
 
The door opened, causing Negi to turn in surprise. However, his surprise turned to slight fear as Chachamaru walke din, carrying her bag. She approached Negi's desk, seemingly uncaring about the three girls watching her with glaring looks. “Excuse me, negi0sensei,” she said, bowing in respect, “however, it is my regret to inform you that my master, Evangeline-sama, will not be coming to class today. …Or for the foreseeable future.”
 
“She isn't?!” Negi exclaimed, surprised yet somewhat relieved.
 
Misora raised an eyebrow. “How come?”
 
“She is protesting against Negi-sensei; she feels he is…not qualified or fit to teach at a girls' school. Therefore, she is coming to school but will not come to Negi-sensei's classes. …Would you like me to fetch her regardless, sensei?”
 
“Hold the phone here!” Kaede marche dup to Chachamaru, lowering her voice. “Last night, you were totally obedient to Evangeline-san. Why are you acting so compliant with Negi-sensei now, de gozaru?
 
“There are two reasons, Nagase-san; first, because my mistress isn't; here. And second, because here in the classroom, Negi Springfield is still my teacher, and as his student I am to obey my teacher. Within reason or within the parameters of my programming,” Chachamaru added quickly.
 
“…Don't go after her,” Negi said to Chachamaru. “If she feels I am unfit as her teacher, then that is… her decision.”
 
“But Negi-!”
 
Negi pulled out his textbook as the bell rang. “To your seats, everyone. I'll take roll and then we'll begin the lessons…”
 
Everyone sat down, but most of the girls grew concerned as classes went on and Negi seemed distracted, or depressed. Kaede and Misora were the most concerned among the class about Negi's behavior.
 
Asuna hissed towards Misora. “Hey, what's up with Negi-bozu?
 
Yeah,” Yuna whispered, “he looks like his best friend died or something.
 
Misora wanted to say something, but she wasn't sure how she could without blowing her and Negi's cover. Being a nun, she had been strictly taught not to lie, plus she was never very good at lying in the first place. She took a deep breath, deciding to try and give a vague version of the truth.
 
Kaede, please don't kill me!It's… a bully…
 
The girls who overheard this statement blinked in stunned silence. Someobe was bullying Negi? But whom? And why?
 
Don't say anything, oaky? He wants to handle it by himself.” Misora then put a finger to her lips, which meant she wanted them to stay quiet, and said no more.
 
Before Negi realized it, the final bell rang and classes were done for the day. He closed his book, put it away, and bowed to his students. Not waiting for the return bow, he staggered out the door before anyone could say anything.
 
Kaede and Misora were suddenly surrounded by the others, bombarded with questions.
 
“What's going on, Nagase/Kaede? What's this about somebody bullying Negi-kun/sensei?”
 
“Who is it? Did he say who? Is it someone from one of the other schools on campus?”
 
“Who'd want to do any harm to such a sweet and gentle boy like Negi-kun?”
 
But Kaede and Misora were at a loss for words as to how to answer the questions. They had noticed Asakura had wisely slipped away, and they wished they could as well. Kaede also noticed that Chachamaru was gone as well, which bothered her. Now would be the perfect time to strike at Negi while he was alone, or even if Asakura was with him as she couldn't; protect him.
 
“Does Negi-bozu need bully beaten to pulp, aru?”
 
Freezing at the familiar voice, Kaede slowly got an idea. She stood up quickly, turning to her blonde and tanned classmate. “Ku-dono, perhaps you could assist me with something.” Not waiting for a reply, she grabbed a confused Ku-Fei and took off, school bag in hand.
 
Unfortunately for Misora, she was left alone to deal with the questions of the other girls. Thanks a lot, Kaede!
 
 
End Chapter 10
 
 
Closing notes: Again, I apologize for the lateness of this chapter. Florida was great, but I had a horrible time getting back to Pennsylvania last Saturday due to Tornadoes and thunderstorms blocking my flight path. I was stuck at the airport until 8:30 or 9 at night and then I had to make a mad dash in Charlotte's airport to make the last fight out for Harrisburg and the next day go back to the airport to get my luggage. I was lucky I was staying at a friend's house in nearby Hummelstown that night so it wasn't a long drive back to the airport to get my suitcase.
 
After that, it was a day playing tabletop RPG, where my character is living the Tenchi Muyo scenario (don't ask, I blame the game master). And then home sweet home where I got lazy plus I found out the next day I had an all-day shift at work instead of a simple morning shift. In between The Orange Box for the 360 and Halo 3 (was helping another friend of mine get achievements), I somehow got this chapter done. I just hope it's not rushed.
 
Now, I want to address something - some of you have been asking me about Asuna's role in the story since she's connected to Negi's father and his group. Look, this is an AU story, meaning some things do NOT happen like they did in the original manga. And I've got enough now that the main cast consists of Negi, Kaede, Misora, Chamo, Asakura, and, when I get to him, Heathcliff (He's coming in one or two more chapters). And some of you might be asking “didn't you just hint that Ku-Fei is going to join Negi's group now?” Wait and find out in the next chapter.
 
And Ayaka's moving into a on-campus mansion? The short version is her parents, back when she was about to start junior high, found an abandoned building the size of a mansion on Mahora property and decided, with the dean's permission, to renovate it for Ayaka to live in. However, when the project was about three quarters of the way finished, Ayaka told her parents to forget it as she wanted to try living in a dorm room with her fellow classmates, so the renovations were halted. Why did she change her mind now? One part her plan to get Negi to move in with her, and one part setting up Asakura to use to her advantage. Take a wild guess.
 
Please read & Review!
 
-R80