Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ The Dreamer ❯ A Dream With A Meaning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author’s note: I DO NOT own any of the characters of NEGIMA!, though the ideas and any other characters are my own. Ken Akamatsu is the original creator of NEGIMA!. This is a fiction which takes place before the Mahora festival, and I’ll say now it’ll be a divergence. There WILL be fighting, but I don’t get too graphic. Enjoy.



‘Run away, run away, run away.....’
The voice taunted as the young boy ran for dear life. The black abyss surrounding the panic-stricken boy swallowed up any hope of escape conceivable, the voice echoing through his soul, tearing apart his rationale.

“Go away!” He screamed, covering his ears and shutting his eyes. The scarlet-haired ten-year-old tried to shut down his senses, but nothing was going to stop him from his break-neck dash for some sort of refuge against the voice. If he kept moving, it wouldn’t catch him.

‘Negi, where’re you going? I’m over here.....’

The boy lost his balance as the ground began to spin beneath him, shadows and fear taking the shape of a wet, cushy trap. The cushy ground seemed to swallow him up, holding him down. He struggled with this newfound enemy as the voice steadily grew louder.

‘I see you.....I’m coming.....’

Negi’s eyes shot open as he tore himself from his nightmare. He was tangled up in his blankets, drenched in his own sweat. He was breathing hard, raspy. He could hardly stop his hands from shaking as he undid the knot he had worked his sheets into, freeing himself.

“Negi-kun? Are you ok?” Konoka’s voice wafted up from below the loft Negi used as a ‘room’.

“Y-Yeah.....I just had a dream, sorry,” The blurry-eyed boy cast a glance over to Asuna’s bed, but she was already gone. Damn paper route. He didn’t want to sleep alone right now, but he couldn’t intrude on Konoka.....right? He let the thought wander as he laid back down.







Negi flipped his textbook shut, dismissing his rowdy class. He had to meet Shizuna in fifteen minutes. Something about a new faculty member. He was actually pretty excited about it. He already sort of knew him. He was a nineteen-year-old who came from the same ‘hidden mage-world’ that he did, though he was somewhat of an enigma. He had been pulled through a portal during the testing of a new spell, a spell which is now forbidden. They had only met a couple of times before Negi’s departure for Japan, but he seemed to be nice enough.

“Negi-kun, are you even listening?” Makie asked loudly, putting her hands on her hips.
“Uh.....of course.....sorry, I’m just a little preoccupied, Makie-san. What were you saying?”

“Well, you know how Makie likes to dance?” Fuuka interrupted loudly, shoving Makie aside. “She was saying that, if you want, she’d dance on your pole for you,” The older twin stated with a grin, while the younger one, Fumika, shook her head and tried to mouth to her teacher that her sister was a perverted liar.

“That’s nice of her, but I don’t have a pole, so I’ll have to say no,” Negi replied with an apologetic smile to Makie, whose face had gone blank at Negi saying he didn’t have a pole. She was trying not to laugh, while at the same time fighting off the urge to hit Fuuka. “Anyway, I’ll see you guys later, I have to get ready to meet Shizuna, now,” The young teacher stated as he made off for the door, praying for no interruptions.

“What’s he meeting with Shizuna-sensei for?” Konoka asked Asuna, completely unaware that her pigtailed friend was out like an alcoholic on St. Patrick’s day. After asking two more times, the girl smacked her friend on the head with the little hammer she carried around with her. “Sleeping during class is bad, Asuna.”






Asukara, of the Mahora paparazzi, trailed after her teacher, making sure to keep far enough away that he never noticed her. The possibility of a new teacher was a scoop she was ready to look into, even though it sounded a little dull. Maybe he would be young and cute, or maybe he would be a murderer bent on death and terror, or maybe he would be a pervert set on debauchery and misconduct. Or maybe she could swing whatever she found to make it look like any of that.....

Negi entered the headmaster’s chambers, slowly approaching the large desk where the old man was patiently waiting. Shizuna was beside him, and gave the young boy a comforting smile. Asukara watched through the ajar door, smirking at how her pencil had come through for her, now wedged between the massive oak doors.

“You asked to see me, Shizuna-sensei?” Negi asked politely, a little smile playing across his face.

“Thank you for coming right over, Negi-kun,” Shizuna replied sweetly. The look in her eyes, however, was a serious one. “We’ve asked to see you because we need to talk to you about the new teacher.”

“Alright, what is it?”

“Negi-kun,” The headmaster began, “The new teacher is going to be here for protection,” The ancient man stated bluntly.
“Protection? F-From what?”

“You’ve been having dreams lately, haven’t you? With a voice that is hunting you down?” The elder paused to allow the startled boy to give a shaky nod. “Well, we all have. I spoke with Takamichi-kun about it.”

“Where is Takamichi? I haven’t seen him in a few days,” Negi admitted.

“We all agree that the voice in the dreams is more than just a coincidence, or the after-affects of a scary movie. The people who’ve been having the dreams have an aura about them, unmistakably magical, and apparently a type of targeting system.”

Asukara held her breath as she heard this. She had been having a similar dream, herself.

“Targeting system? What do you.....”

“Takamichi-kun told me that he was going to confront the voice and find out what was going on. That was four days ago,” The old man said, a look of depression ghosting his face.

“What happened to him? Is Takamichi alright?” Negi asked, anxious. The old man didn’t reply, so the boy looked to Shizuna for an answer.

“He hasn’t woken up yet,” She said quietly. Negi now realized the troubled expression that she bore. He hadn’t caught it before, but he could now make out the bags under her eyes and see how her makeup hadn’t been applied with the usual meticulous detail that he had grown used to.

“Where is he?! Why did you wait four days to tell me this?! I might be able to-“

“There is nothing you can do for him, and you know it,” The headmaster stated calmly, his composure now returned. “He is safe, well as safe as he can be. The aura that the people with the dream has is a kind of targeting system, like I said before. Now that Takamichi is out of commission, we have to take measures to make sure no one can find him.”

“What do you mean a targeting system? I don’t understand.”

“The aura is how the enemy knows who to attack. Haruka-sensei was attacked and killed in his home two days ago, though we’ve managed to keep the attention to the matter low. He, too, had been having the dream.” Haruka had been a mage teacher, and not a weak one.

“Haruka.....he’s.....dead? But I just saw him not even a week ago.....this doesn’t prove a connection to the dream, though,” Negi forced himself to think clearly. He hadn’t known Haruka all that well, but he considered him a friend.

“We captured the killer yesterday,” Shizuna stated, her face a mixture of anger and sadness. The child teacher had never seen her look like that before. “We used one of Chao-Lingshen’s devices to scan his mind. All we found out was that the aura is used to locate and single out targets for the enemy.”

“That’s all? Did the machine break?”

“The man killed himself before we could find out anymore. The situation’s gotten very serious, very quickly. The headmaster sent off for assistance after the killer was caught and we discovered the existence of the targeting system. Unfortunately those on the other side, the magic world, are having some cases of this as well, so only one person could be sent. He’ll be here later today.”

Negi looked from one sensei to the other, his mind racing. Was Takamichi alright? Who exactly was this enemy? What if his students were having this dream? He’d have to pay careful attention from here on out to try and see the aura on any of them. The one thing he was sure of now was that he would protect them, no matter what.

“Negi-kun, you must not confront the voice in your dreams. Force yourself to wake up!” The headmaster commanded his young subordinate. “You now know what is currently going on.....and I’m afraid I’ll have to ask you to watch out for those you see with the aura, specifically among your students,” The old man paused to glance at a picture of Konoka which graced his desk. “Do you understand?”

“I understand, sir. I won’t let anyone, or anything, touch a hair on any of my students. I swear!” Negi stated seriously. Shizuna felt better when she saw the fire burning in his eyes, as opposed to the frightened and doubtful eyes she was half-expecting. Negi really did act like more of an adult than a child.

“Dismissed, Negi-kun. I will contact you if anything should happen.”

Asukara sat there with the tape recorder in her hand, completely dumbfounded. She couldn’t register that her teacher was coming in time to move, so the young boy tripped over her, both crashing to the ground. Dazed from his fall, it took the young boy a couple of seconds to realize that his face was planted firmly in his student’s chest. He jumped up, babbling excuses and apologies.

“Negi-sensei.....what you three said.....”

Negi helped the paparazzi redhead to her feet, his eyes falling onto the tape recorder she had clenched in her hand. “How much did you hear?”

“All of it,” The older girl stated, her usually mischievous eyes now glazed over with worry.
“Asukara-san.....this is.....don’t worry, I’ll handle everything. Please don’t tell the others, I don’t want them to worry!”
The first thing that came to Asukara’s mind was how this was one of the biggest scoops she might ever come across. The second thing she thought of was how they might all be in real danger. She, herself, had already had the dream with the voice in it. “Sensei, do you see anything?”

“See....? On you?” Negi’s mind nearly froze as he focused on the girl in front of him, a black and purple glow emanating from her. His mouth opened slightly, but no words came out. Asukara had the aura, which meant whatever it was that was in the dreams had already targeted her. How many of his other students could be targeted, then, if one was already chosen?

“Come on, let’s go find Chamo-kun! He might know something about this!” Negi exclaimed, grabbing a hold of his student’s arm and pulling her after him. The girl followed willingly, now afraid to be alone.

The two burst out into the daylight of the Mahora campus. They dashed for the subway, surprised to find how deserted the grounds were. They blew down the steps where Negi had first rescued Nodoka from a long fall, possibly saving her life. Asuna had caught him using magic, then, and that was how their relationship as ‘friends’ started. Asukara grabbed Negi, pulling him to a shaky stop.

“What is.....” Negi let himself trail off, staring at the three men about ten feet in front of them. They were dressed in black cloaks, their faces veiled by the cliched happy and sad theater masks.

“Who are you?” Asukara asked, standing boldly beside her teacher.

“Death,” One of the three men replied quietly, raising a hand.

Negi pushed Asukara out of the way, uttering his incantation as quick as he could, “Rastel maskil magister.....” He swung out his staff, a flurry of magical arrows blazing through the air to counter the wave of darkness which now rushed him.

The darkness and the light exploded on contact, sending the boy skidding back a couple of yards. Before the dust settled, the three men burst through the haze and charged. Negi countered a punch with his staff as he dodged a sweeping kick by jumping up over the three. He let loose a second volley of arrows midair, blasting them all straight to hell. He landed on all fours, sliding to a stop. He stood up slowly, then brushed his shoulders off with a sigh.

Asukara couldn’t help but take a picture of her victorious sensei. She had never seen anything that amazing!

Before Negi could say anything, though, the three men shot up into the air from out of the dust cloud, sending waves of shadows at him. He had no time to counter, he had no time to dodge. So much began in this place for him, was it going to end here, too? He closed his eyes and raised an arm to help absorb the hit, but it never came. A gust of wind roared through the area, dispersing the enemy’s attack. Negi opened his eyes to see a man standing between him and the three men in masks.

The man was wearing a sleeveless black coat which trailed down at his feet and covered his mouth with its exaggerated collar. A faded grey bandana wrapped around his forehead trailed a couple of feet behind him in the wind. The kanji for ‘the way of God’ was emblazoned in silver on the back of the coat. A single-edged blade was strapped across back, as well.

The man slowly turned to glance at Negi through the corner of his eye. He brushed his long, dirt-brown hair out of his cerulean eyes before asking, “You alright, kid?”

The three cloaked men had already retreated after the new man had easily negated their attack. They would need to regroup and add him to their calculations.

Asukara rushed over to Negi and the man in black, quickly looking the boy over for any injuries. “I’m ok, really,” Negi assured her, his eyes fixated on the man before him. “Connor, you made it,” He said, his voice tinged with more than just a little thankfulness.

The new teacher had arrived.



Author’s other note: This is my first fanfic, so let me know what’s going on. Should I scrap it, keep going, whatever. Thank you for taking the time.