Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Fan Fiction ❯ Movements ❯ 06 - Sweeping the board ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Admiral Lindy Harlaown,
 
I have spoken to Officer Cadet Takamachi Nanoha regarding her recent on-field performance. During the seek-and-capture mission, she had fired a S+ level Starlight Breaker EX at our target against my distinct orders. I have duly enlightened her regarding the importance of understanding orders, that she is no longer a civilian and that she was liable for getting court martial under Act 34B of the Time-Space Administration Bureau Code for Non-compliance to Reasonable Instructions from Superiors of Higher Ranking or Position.
 
I am in opinion that right now OC Takamachi is getting too emotionally involved with the investigation. This had inhibited her ability to think and analyze the situation before her in a calm, collected manner and would impede the general progress in our investigation of the MIA OC Fate Testarossa and the local device robbery.
 
As the second in-charge of this mission, I would like to recommend that OC Takamachi be removed from the mission and transferred to another department temporarily, until the fore-mentioned mission is completed. Chief Librarian Yuuno Scrya of the Infinity Library is a good friend of OC Takamachi and should be willing to take her in to keep an eye on her.
 
On another note, Lieutenant Colonel Frank Archer had volunteered his service and his men to our mission. However I would discourage the Admiral from associating with the Lieutenant Colonel. He is notorious in the Bureau for his actions and ambition and his presence would do us no good.
 
Thank you and may you consider my humble advice.
 
Regards,
Major Chrono Harlaown
 
Fate stared at the woman standing behind Arisa. The woman returned her stare with a genuine warm, friendly smile. It was just like the smile in the photo at the bed; it was just like it should be from her memories, just like it had been during that dream in the Tome of Darkness.
 
However, this was the first time she was actually seeing the real smile for herself. It was... what's with the blurry sight? She could not possibly be crying, could she? She should have gotten over it already... They said that time will heal all wounds; perhaps just not enough time had passed yet...
 
“Fate-chan! What happened?” Arisa shook her friend lightly, “What are you crying?”
 
“No. It's nothing,” Fate reassured the girl as she wiped the tears away with the long sleeves of the robe, “Strange. They just won't stop,” she laughed in shock, rubbing her eyes, “They just won't stop.”
 
“Fate-chan!”
 
Suzuka too had entered the room, attracted by the commotion. The soft-spoken girl rushed forward to console her, admonishing Arisa for being harsh towards Fate.
 
“It wasn't me!” the more impulsive of the duo protested, “But Fate-chan here just started crying!” she turned her attention backed to Fate, “Is something wrong? You did this to you? I'll sic my dogs on them!”
 
“No. no,” Fate tried to fight back the tears, “I'm just-
 
The lady had approached her, gently nudging Arisa and Suzuka aside. She then bent down to Fate's height level and drew her into a warm, tight hug, patting her back lightly.
 
“It's okay, my little Fate,” she cooed, rocking the mage slightly, “Whatever it is, it's okay now.”
 
It's so soft, so gentle. The patting of her back was so comfortable and soothing... so much different from the cracking and searing of the whip that she had came to associate with those hands. Fate closed her eyes to better feel the rhythmic pat, the warmth of her body and even the slight tightening of the squeeze from the hug.
 
This had been what she always wanted. To actually feel and experience this motherly love, something that had been denied to her for so long.
 
This is real. This is not a dream. This is not an illusion.
 
This is real...
 
“Mother.” she murmured, caught in the embrace of bliss.
 
The arms that hugged her so comfortably tight released their hold and gripped her shoulders instead, reluctantly pushing them apart. Fate finally opened her eyes again, bringing her back to reality. Her uncontrolled tears had stopped its flow in the moment of warmth. She blinked the remnants of the tears from her eyes and faced the woman that had held her.
 
She had aged since the taking of the photo. There were some visible wrinkles on her face while streaks of gray marked her hair. Yet, she was still beautiful, carrying an air of grace and warmth around her.
 
Precious Testarossa looked at Fate with a warm, satisfied gaze and asked, “Are you fine now? Do you need a glass of water?” while stroking her hair soothingly.
 
Fate shook her head quietly like a guilty puppy. She had over-reacted but it was all so...
 
“That's my girl,” the lady grinned as she stood up and faced Arisa and Suzuka, “Girls, I don't know why your friend is in my son's room. I don't know what's going on here when I am in the hospital. And I don't think you will know how to answer my questions either.”
 
“However...” Ms. Testarossa turned back to Fate who was seated forlornly on the bed. Her friends turned to look at her too, “I think someone knows how to answer them.”
 
“It's about the mission, isn't it?” Arisa directed the statement to the blond mage, “You being here and in that cosplay... no, wait. Your usual outfit is worse...” She frowned and rubbed her chin as she started to connect the dots between everything she knew while she studied what was around the room.
 
Fate looked to Suzuka, silently pleading for her understanding. Anything she would say would be classified Bureau information; civilians were not supposed to even know of their existence.
 
Suzuka shrugged in reply. “We're friends, right? We, especially Arisa had been so worried when you and Nanoha never answered our calls or replied. We too wanted to know what was going on. Help you even if it is within our capabilities. That was why Arisa convinced me to come along for this trip. We can't always just be passive audiences.”
 
Fate could only laugh helplessly. There was nothing she could do if that was the understanding between them. It was hard to argue with friendship. It was not exactly the rescue she had envisioned but they were still her friends.
 
“So tell us, Fate,” Ms. Testarossa pulled a seat out and sat on it, “Who are you? Why are you here? What is your relationship with my son?”
 
Fate thought for a while. Should she tell the lady about her son's acts? How will she react to his reasoning for stealing all the artifacts?
 
“But Mothe-” she corrected herself. She was only Terra's version of the mother she knew. “Ms. Testarossa...”
 
“Why did you call me 'Mother'? Why did you know my name when none of us told you? Why did you cry when you saw me? Am I so ugly and fearsome?” the lady continued, pouting sourly over the 'insult', “I so love a good story. Start from the beginning and pray, make it exciting. ”
 
Fate sighed. This might take a very long time.
 
---------------------------------------------
 
“Chrono! What is the meaning of this?!”
 
The briefing had ended with the shuffling of seats and the mass exodus of troops to accomplish their designated objectives. After getting Nanoha to promise to wait for him, Yuuno quickly caught up with the officer and pulled him aside from the crowd.
 
“Obvious, isn't it? Nanoha gets assigned to assist you in the Infinity Library temporarily until otherwise.” Chrono darted his eyes around the room while he replied to the angry question, “You can tell how emotional Nanoha had became over the mission. That will definitely affect her judgment; she's already trigger-happy enough. She fired without orders! If the thief we are after isn't agile enough then, he would have been killed already. We cannot let her jeopardize the mission further.”
 
“Yes, yes,” the librarian waved his hands in dismissal, “But if we go by that logic, won't we need to take Admiral Lindy out of the mission command too? Won't it be better if Nanoha and I both work on the mission together? We would be able to find Fate so much faster!”
 
“Exactly!” Chrono hushed himself up after the sudden outburst, looked around for anyone who might have heard him. Satisfied that their conversation had not become of interest to anyone else, he returned to his usual deadpan tone, “Why are you so concerned? You do know that Fate is your biggest rival to the girl, right?”
 
Yuuno allowed himself to blush slightly at that remark before regaining his composure, “That, that's beside the point! I'm Fate's friend too! I can't just let her remain missing!”
 
The officer leaned forward; close enough such that only the two of them could hear what he had to say. “Did you seriously think that Nanoha will just follow you meekly back to the library?” he hissed while still keeping a lookout, “Look. I can already guess that Nanoha would rope you in to do her own independent investigation.”
 
Yuuno was about to protest his innocence when Nanoha's words came to his mind. He promised her to find Fate. He promised… Yuuno nodded weakly, guessing ahead what Chrono would say next. The smart aleck probably had everything thought out beforehand before he called him in.
 
“I'm counting on you to help and watch her back,” he whispered, “Right now, only you have enough clout to keep Nanoha restrained. At least she might listen to you. The mission is to capture the thief and retrieve the stolen artifacts. Throw in, rescue Fate unharmed and ensure her safety. If Admiral Lindy finds the thief first without the guarantee of Fate's safety, chances are he would be killed first. Then our best trace on finding Fate would be lost.”
 
“Find that damned thief. Find him before we do. Find him before Mother's rashness and emotions get anyone hurt in this mess. And once you have done so, find Fate through him,” he ordered, “Once you found Fate, contact me immediately so that I can put a stop to this madness. Or do it the other way round, I don't care as long as you do so before we do.
 
“And then perhaps Mother can rest easy again,” he added softly.
 
Yuuno slapped his forehead and shook his head in exasperation. “So what can I do?” he admitted defeat.
 
“Use your scanning magic. You are the one who can find some long-lost tome in the Infinity Library. If anyone can find anything in this confounded, foreign city, it will be you. Good luck.”
 
Yuuno watched glumly as the officer gave him a wink of confidence and a thumb up. With a defeated sigh and a strained smile, he returned the thumbs up to the retreating officer. He hated it when Chrono did not consult him before getting him involved in any of his schemes. He hated it even more when he knew that Chrono was probably right.
 
He returned to his seat where Nanoha was waiting patiently, fiddling with Raising Heart in thought. When he approached the magical girl, she stopped and stood up in silence; pulling Yuuno aside to where she felt was more isolated, away from prying eyes and ears.
 
“Say, Yuuno-kun,” she started softly with her head down, “You promised to help me find Fate, right?”
 
Yuuno sighed again. He could just imagine Chrono grinning maliciously with headphones while thinking 'Just as planned'. So this was how it all started, eh? Perhaps he should be glad that Chrono was on their side rather than masterminding plots against the bureau.
 
There was no way he could resist Nanoha's request even if sacrifices had to be made. Plus, Fate was also his friend. He wanted to be part of the search mission. He just did not expect to end up operating secretly from the sidelines.
 
“Yes,” Yuuno replied, “I think I know what you are thinking. I will help you.”
 
“But,” he added, “There are some ground rules you must obey.”
 
“One. You follow my instructions. You are still assigned to be under me even if we are not doing library work,” he watched Nanoha nodded solemnly in agreement.
 
“Two. You must always keep your cool and think calmly.”
 
Nanoha jerked her head up and shot him a startled look at the remark. “How can you remain so calm when Fate could be hurt?”
 
“Because I must,” Yuuno answered with a light smile, “If we want to find her, we must remain calm and think things coolly. Right now, you are beyond emotional and worried. You are not thinking clearly and that inhibits actions. That was why you were transferred to be under me.”
 
He reached out his hand to stroke Nanoha's cheek tenderly, wiping off some of the tear stains on it, “Remember our time with the Jewel Seeds or the Tome of Darkness? Despite all the troubles, you always remained cheerful and optimistic, urging us forward. There was so much to be worried of, to be scared of; but you never gave in to your fears or were over-emotional. We can do this together, just like old times; we can find Fate and that thief but we need that Nanoha back again to do it.”
 
Yuuno gazed at the girl he had introduced magic to as her head drooped sullenly, reflecting. Did his speech work? He had only made it all up with it on the spot after all.
 
“Nanoha?”
 
“Did you think you are the first to tell me that?” the girl questioned him, her eyes obscured by her thick bangs.
 
“But am I the most effective?”
 
“I think Chrono was better, especially with his threats of court martial for disobedience to superiors,” Nanoha looked up with a sad grin, “I will try, I promise. For Fate.”
 
“I've still got one more condition.”
 
“There's more?” she pouted, eager to start the search immediately.
 
“Look in the mirror,” Yuuno laughed, “You are getting panda eyes. You are getting some sleep now.”
 
“But-
 
“My orders. Get some sleep,” the de facto leader of their team of two said gently but firmly, “This thief operates at night, right? Then we find him when he is resting in the day, when his guard will be down.”
 
Nanoha nodded in reluctant agreement to his reasoning.
 
“It is getting late. You rest for now,” Yuuno repeated as he prepared the teleportation spell to return to the library. As the green glow from his teleportation spell circle engulfed them, he continued, “I want do some research first. First thing tomorrow morning, once you have gotten your sleep, we find Fate and our thief.”
 
---------------------------------------------
 
She told them everything, answered every question which they asked and explained every non-Terran terms in her narrative. The mission, her battle, her interaction with Gabriel.
 
By the time Fate ended her story with their discovery of her presence in Gabriel's room, night had already fallen and the city outside was lit aglow by the thousand electrical lighting from the streets, from the buildings.
 
“That is why Nanoha never returned our calls,” Suzuka realized, “She must be worried sick, combing the entire city in search of you, ignoring everything else.”
 
Fate looked to the floor in regret and anxiety for having caused so much trouble with her capture. She then felt Arisa's arms wrapped snuggly around her neck, squeezing her tightly as she brawled noisily at Fate's misfortunes in life. In a way, it was comforting to know that she had friends that cared so much.
 
Mo- Ms. Testarossa had remained silent most of the time, listening attentively while occasionally asking something or to clarify some unfamiliar terms. Then she remained silent, gazing at Fate as though she was looking at her long lost daughter that she somehow recognized but never knew, contemplating about the events that had occurred around her.
 
She winced as there was a sharp sudden pain at her arm. Fate took a quick glance at her exposed arm to see the last remaining black band. Another day was removed from the magic limitation spell that bound her. One more day to go, before she regained control over magic.
 
Ms. Testarossa finally broke her silence as she stood up from her chair and walked towards the locked window. “So you all know about magic,” she murmured loud enough for them to hear, “That's convenient.”
 
She turned back to address the girls in regretful tone, “I am sorry for what my boy has done. What he has done is unforgivable to anyone. As his mother, I have failed in my teachings. For that, for my boy, I apologize to all of you for his deeds, his crimes, his wrongs.”
 
She bowed deeply to the girls, “What he had done, he did for me. If you must blame anyone, if you must punish anyone; If you must charge someone and bring him to justice under your organization, please let me take the blame.”
 
She then stepped towards Fate, closing the distance between them. She knelt down and clasped Fate's hands tightly, drawing them to her own forehead as though saying a prayer. With her eyes closed, she spoke to the stunned Fate. “Please. I beseech you, with what power you have. It might be an unreasonable request but I beg you. Please forgive Gabriel for what he has done. He only had his mother in his mind when he committed his horrible crimes.”
 
“Please stand up,” Fate quickly said. She had never expected this. Especially not from someone who looked so much like her own late mother and was in a twisted way, her late mother. “I...” she thought about what she felt so far, how much she, despite her allegiance, identified with Gabriel. She never hated him, never truly blamed him for all he had done… He was only trying to save his mother and now, his mother is trying to save him.
 
“Please stand up,” she answered softly, “I… I forgive him.”
 
“What?!” Arisa interrupted. Raising her voice in indignance, the hot-headed girl rose from her position and brought her hands to her hips. “This is robbery, thievery, kidnapping. A crime, an offence! It is not something that can be 'forgiven' just like that! Fate, thi-
 
She found herself expertly gagged by her counterpart who bowed in apology in her place. “Arisa is just speaking from her heart. Please ignore her rant,” Suzuka said apologetically.
 
“So am I,” Fate replied with a forgiving smile, “While I cannot assume that the Bureau will do the same, I, at least, forgive Gabriel for his deeds.” She fell to silence, reflecting on her decision. “Not because Ms. Testarossa begged me or some Stockholm syndrome. Just that... if I cannot forgive him, neither can I forgive myself for my own past mistakes... for what I once did, I too do for mo- She stopped herself; she had already spoken too much.
 
“However, we must still get Gabriel to surrender and return all the stolen devices,” the mage continued, “He must also atone for his deeds and face the consequences. It is up to those at the top to make the final decision.”
 
“Then it is settled,” Ms. Testarossa finished with a sad smile, “At least he has your forgiveness. The rest, I can only leave to your superiors.” She returned to her feet and looked out into the empty night sky, faintly illuminated by the glow of the buildings, “I will go with you to your superiors the next day, if you don't mind.” She took a glance towards the blond mage.
 
Fate shook her head, “It is fine, Ms. Testarossa.” Her resemblance to the other Precia Testarossa might pose a problem but if she was around, it should not be a problem. She hoped.
 
The lady returned her gaze to the night sky. “It's so late already. Would you mind staying over here for one more night? Or would you prefer it if I call a cab for you?” she asked.
 
The girls looked around them at the chaotic room with the thin layer of dust and paper over everything. This was the place where Fate had stayed for the past two days... and it was quite late. Arisa's summer home was quite a long way away. It would have to do for one night.
 
“But we could not really sleep in our current attires,” Suzuka pointed out, feeling the material of her blouse.
 
“Don't worry,” Ms. Testarossa replied with a warm smile and a clap of her hands, “I've got the girls' clothings just for you all.” Faced with the puzzled faces of the girls, she added, “I've always wanted a daughter, remember? It's a dream of mine to play dress up. I will go get the extra mattresses and clothings for you,” she said with a bit too much enthusiasm in her voice as she left the room, leaving the girls alone.
 
The girls remained silent for a while, looking around the room again. Finally Fate broke the silence.
 
“Thank you,” she said gratefully, “for coming for me.”
 
“It's nothing,” Suzuka replied as she took the hands of Fate, “We only found you by accident. We did not even know you were missing.”
 
“Then I should thank you for accidentally finding me,” Fate smiled tenderly, “I wonder how is Admiral Lindy, Nanoha and the rest doing now?”
 
“You know? We can always try to contact them,” Arisa whipped out her mobile phone and keyed in Nanoha's number furiously. There was a couple of rings before Nanoha's cheerful voice announced to them that she was not available to pick up her phone and to please try again later or to leave a message after the 'beep!'. Having heard that for the umpteenth time, the hot-headed girl fumed as she closed her own mobile with a snap.
 
“Do you know where your group is?” she asked Fate in annoyance, “How are we going to find them, to tell them that you are safe?”
 
The Bureau mage could only shake her head. She had been out of the loop for at least the whole day, not knowing what was going on outside the apartment where she was kept.
 
With a sigh, Suzuka took her own mobile phone and keyed in a short message for Nanoha. “Hopefully, she will see it soon. It is back to the waiting game now.”
 
Ms. Testarossa returned to the room with the mattresses and pyjamas in tow. With a heave, she let them flopped on the floor while she leaned herself against the drawers, breathing heavily from her exertion of strength. After she had regained enough breath, she took the first of her pyjamas and showed it prominently to the girls. It was a wedding white, long flowing gown with many, many frilly bits elaborately sewn into the overall design. There were even ribbons to go with it. It looked most... embarrassing.
 
“I don't think my boy will be returning today,” she said sadly before energy resurged back into her, “It might be better for what I want to do.” There was a glint of enthusiasm in her as she gazed wistfully at the girls before her with eyes of an idol master, or a girl who had just received a brand new doll.
 
“So, who wants to go first?”
 
---------------------------------------------