Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Fan Fiction ❯ Movements ❯ 08 - End Game ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A chill descended upon them as the air froze, forming rows and rows of icicles suspended in midair by magic before them. Each one of their sharp, cold tips pointing towards them. Professor Dante smiled broadly, delightfully. Then with a flick of her finger, the icicles rained on her targets.
 
Almost immediately, almost together, Fate and Gabriel did a double-turn and casted their respective spells against the cold ice barrage.
 
Sagita Magica Septendecim Sagittae Fulguralis!
 
“Photon Lancer!”
 
The multiple electric-based magic projectiles sped towards the icy spears, smashing them into a cloud of ice shavings that scattered like snow around them.
 
In the midst of the attack, Dante had already stepped back with the cane in her hand, slamming into the ground. The streaks of magical lightning coursed from the cane, spreading across the floor and raising the ground they stood on.
 
Just before the ground destabilized them, they took a quick glance at each other and their eyes met. Then they both agreed on something: That while they were definitely not allies and would not hesitate to fight each other; they would have a temporary truce until one of them acquired the Philosopher's Stone from Dante.
 
Fate leapt off the rising ground just as Gabriel took to his staff; getting out of the way fast enough to see the next stage of the old woman's alchemic attack.
 
The ground continued to tremble as it rose and took shape. The groans of the splitting floor took on a serpentine roar as the features of the rising form took shape. The giant snake of concrete snarled furiously, spitting bits of debris onto the floor as it turned to face the children. Then with a roar, it reared its ugly head and dived towards them, scattering even more debris around them.
 
Bardiche's barrel spun as it slammed its cartridges into itself, providing the instant magical boost to its attacks. As it released the hissing steam of expended magic, the head moved upward with a grounding sound into its scythe form.
 
'Scythe Form.' the electronic voice announced. Instantly, a burst of magical energy spurted forth from Bardiche, forming itself into the shape of an electrical blade.
 
'For Mother,' Fate silently thought to herself as she gripped Bardiche with both her arms and leapt-started her flight into the air to avoid the alchemic serpent's crash. Flying along the body of the twisting snake, avoiding the jerks and spasms, she dragged Bardiche's blade through the concrete, cutting it up as she flew towards Dante and the Philosopher's Stone, trailing sparks of electricity behind her flight path.
 
A slicking sound as a couple of poker cards sliced through the air and embedded itself into the concrete body of the serpent. Fate turned to avoid that area, summoning the electrical balls of magic around her for an attack on Dante. Behind her, she could hear the explosion of the cards rip the snake apart. Having been blown up into half, the rest of the snake crumbled back to the ground with a tremendous roar.
 
Dante had clapped again, swiping her hand over the air. The sudden chilling of the air as all heat was removed through alchemic reactions within. A wave of dark arrows hit the growing ice from her flank, shattering up the icy shield. Then Gabriel came swooping down, his hand outstretched to snatch the stone from the Professor's hand.
 
Before he could close in on Dante, the Professor did a flourish in the air with her hand and the ice formed at the side, growing longer, thicker into another serpent of ice. With a chilly roar, the serpent soared into the air and came diving down towards where Gabriel was attacking from. Gabriel could only swerve in time to avoid the tons of ice from crashing into him.
 
“Plasma Lancer!”
 
Fate sped forward, mentally guiding her magical attacks towards Dante. As expected, the barrier of ice formed in their direction to hold the attack. That would not work this time.
 
Her magical balls of electric shifted their directions, flying along the ever-growing icy barrier, looking for a point of weakness to penetrate. She herself closed in on the barrier and held Bardiche high above her head, ready to bring the energy blade down into the ice.
 
A roar from above attracted her attention. She looked up to see the gapping mouth of a crashing ice serpent coming towards her. Diverting her lightning balls towards the snake, she brought her scythe down in a arch, smashing through the ice. Shattered ice scattered all over the room as Fate accelerated towards Dante.
 
Dante backed away, thrusting her free hand forward. An 'fwoosh' sound as the air pressure suddenly changed according to Dante's becking. Fate quickly flew upwards, just in time to avoid the blast of air from below. Then she dived down, thrusting Bardiche's end forward to knock the Philosopher's Stone out of the woman's hand.
 
More sounds emitted from below as Dante's staff twisted in shape, turning longer, sharper and harder. With a swift movement, Dante used the newly formed cane sword to parry Fate's attack. Pushing Fate back, she unleashed another fury of icicle shards onto the young mage.
 
'Defenser'
 
The auto-guard program for Bardiche activated immediately to hold the damage from the attack. The wave continued unabated. Gritting her teeth to maintain the active defence, Fate raised her palm forward. The yellow magical circle formed before it, signaling that Thunder Smasher was ready for casting.
 
Gabriel landed with a thud beside them, having used Dante's momental distraction to fly over the wall of ice. Jabbing his wand forward, shouting off the necessary enchantments, he fired off another round of dark arrows point-blank towards Dante. Dante swung the sword upwards in the direction of the arrows, neutralizing each and every single one of them heading in her direction.
 
“Thunder Smasher!”
 
Taking the chance, Fate blasted the spell towards the ground where the old woman stood. The impact blew the woman off the feet, throwing her into the air before a wave of air brought her descend into control. Gabriel pounced immediately, casting his spells on his professor, aiming specifically for the hand holding on to the Philosopher's Stone.
 
His cast was held off by a swift retaliation from the Professor, casting a deflection spell before her. Not to be left out, Fate flew forward, attacking with furious swipes of Bardiche. Neither of the young attackers gave the Professor any chance to perform any more alchemy, continuously pressing on her with their attacks. Every parry was met with another attack from the other side, then another. Then another. And another.
 
The fighting trio moved, the young fighters never letting the pressure die off, always pressing forward, forcing Dante into a corner. Despite the pressure from both flanks, the Professor showed no sign of slowing, defending herself with her single cane sword with ease and flair, keeping her hold on the coveted stone.
 
Gabriel swung his staff clumsily, having not been training in proper melee fighting before. However, his determination and grim resolve made up for it in the ferocity of his swings and his thrusts, supported by his liberal use of magical attacks at close range.
 
The boy wizard's shortcomings in close range combat were more than made up for with Fate's expertise in the field. She continued to apply the pressure on Dante with her scythe, slashing towards her target of the stone. As she maintained her waves of attack, turning, blocking, slashing, the thought of Lindy continued to spur her on against the growing strain of tiredness in her young body.
 
She must get the Philosopher's Stone from Dante.
 
She took another swing at Dante, only to be held off by the cane sword at Bardiche's staff, the tip of the energy blade stopping just centimetres away from her target. Fate was forced back again before she leapt forward with another attack. Using the opportunity to go back into the offensive, Dante stepped forward in Fate's direction, stabbing the cane sword towards her.
 
Gabriel flicked a card out from his long sleeves, holding it in his hand for a second, just enough for Fate to notice a small alchemic symbol at the corner start glowing. Then using the card, he slashed towards his Professor's hand.
 
The card cut through the hand like butter, spilling the Professor's blood across the floor and the assailant. By the time the blood-stained card completed the arch of Gabriel's wild slash, Dante had stopped her attack. Dropping the cane sword, she held up her injured hand with her free hand; her face twisted in agony and pain as the blood spurted out in gushes of red. There was only the index finger and the thumb left on her hand; the rest of her fingers scattered in units across the warehouse floor.
 
The crystalline red stone, released from the Professor's tight grip, sailed through the air unguided before landing on the floor with a final thud, rolling a few times before coming to a stop.
 
Another quick look between Fate and Gabriel. Then both of them lunged towards the unclaimed stone on the floor.
 
Whatever truce they had had, it was off.
 
---------------------------------------------
 
Get out! Get out!
 
Arisa's survival instinct screamed madly at her and her foolhardiness as Arisa and Suzuka helped Ms. Testarossa to her feet. The roar of the artificial serpents struck terror into her soul, drawing out her girlish repulsion towards those slimy creatures, weakening her will.
 
That must be why Fate and Nanoha always make sure they were never involved in their Bureau matters. They were always so close to danger, living on the edge of their lives. They never wanted their non-magical friends to experience the same terror.
 
The crashing sound of tons of ice cascading to the ground reinforced her fear for herself. Everything was too dangerous. It would be best to just get out while she still can. Get out while the old witch with her magic was occupied with fighting Fate and Gabriel.
 
What about her friends? Her conscience, the great defender of friendship questioned her. The reason why she even came to this city in the first place was to help her friends, Fate and Nanoha. Was she going to just make her getaway just like that?
 
Then what can she do? Her survival instinct questioned. She was only human. She could not even master that magic trick with the cards from her 'Magic for Beginners' book, let alone help them in their magical battle.
 
Fine ice showered upon them as Fate destroyed the icy serpent in the air with her explosions. Suzuka had gotten Ms. Testarossa's arm around her shoulders. They were ready to leave, now that they were helpless against the situation.
 
Arisa turned away from the fearsome sight, running over to Suzuka's side and together they dragged Ms. Testarossa out of the warehouse. Fate and Gabriel had started to engage the witch in melee combat, having penetrated her barrier of ice; they as a whirlwind of blurred action slowly drifting towards a corner of the emptying warehouse.
 
An unconscious body lying some distance away from them caught her eyes. Those azure locks of hair... Arisa broke away from Suzuka, ignoring all the protests from her survival instinct. She had to get Admiral Lindy out of the danger zone too. It was the least she could do to help.
 
“I'll be back!” Arisa shouted back to Suzuka and ran towards where Admiral Lindy laid. The lady was laying there, unmoving with an almost peaceful look on her face. The pool of blood was still growing around the body, dying the regal gown redder than before. Above all, the horrible piece of wood that pierced out of her womb like a stake, stained rusty-red from the drying blood on it.
 
Stop the blood!
 
No! There was nothing that she could use around her... she looked down to her own clothings. Won't that be- It was not time to be hesitating! Taking hold of the hemp of her dress, she tore a generous portion off it, roughly reducing the dress to a 'mini-skirt'. Then using the piece of cloth, she attempted to soak up the blood as she frantically tried to recall the first aid skills she had learnt in the past. Nothing useful seemed to be coming to her.
 
Pull the stake out? No, that would widen the wound, most likely making it worst. The fitful breathing was getting slower, less often. CPR? No, that was for drowning or heart attacks, she think. It would not help stop the life-draining flow of blood. Move the body? It might make the wound worse. Arisa started to fumble helplessly with the cloth that used to be part of her dress.
 
Once again, she was useless.
 
A shout of pain, followed by the clang of dropping sword punctured the steady clash of weapons. Arisa looked up from Admiral Lindy to see the old woman clutching her bleeding, fingerless hand in pain. She stumbled back, falling on the ground as she stared blankly at her missing units. The Philosopher's Stone that everyone wanted, the red, diamond-like stone had been flung from the momentum through the air, landing on the ground.
 
There was a brief pause from the battle before both the young fighters lunged towards the stone, their hands outstretched to grab it before the other one did.
 
Gabriel's staff propelled him forward at a faster speed as he got ahead, closing his hands around the stone. A painful thrust from the back end of Fate's scythe knocked him off his balance, sending him skidding across the floor. His hands loosened in surprise and pain, allowing the force of the blow to knock the stone off.
 
The stone traveled up into the air, then falling directly into the waiting hands of Fate. Fate closed her hands around the stone, just in time for the strong surge of wind to sweep her off her legs and the stone off her hands. Gabriel zoomed past her, grabbing the stone before it landed. As he rose into the air, he turned back for a moment and pointed his wand downwards.
 
Sagita Magica Septendecim Sagittae Obscuri!
 
The dark, murky spurts of shadows burst from the tip of his wand, all of them heading directly towards Fate. The boy did not even looked back as his magic connected, releasing clouds of billowing dust from the ground upon impact. He continued heading up, then turning towards the exit of the warehouse.
 
The dust cleared, revealing Fate unharmed under her magical shield. The shield was dispelled and Fate was on Gabriel's tail again. As she drew her scythe back, there was the calm electronic announcement of 'Arc Saber'. Then she hurled the energy blade like a boomerang across the air towards Gabriel.
 
Gabriel swerved in the air to avoid the spinning blade. Fate was already up into the air, catching the returning blade expertly and swinging it towards the boy. He dodged the attack, drawing his wand back and jabbing it forward for another spell.
 
Practe Bigi Nar Ardescat!”
 
A tiny spark of flames burst to life just before his wand. It flared once. Then it blew up, knocking both parties off their flight paths with its throwback. Gabriel turned in the air for a moment before flying up towards the roof. Fate quickly regained control of her fall, having managed to protect herself from most of the fiery blast with her cape. She then followed closely behind, determined to stop Gabriel's escape.
 
Both flew upwards, diving and turning among the aerial beams above, dodging and deflecting each other's attacks, leaving trails of magical streaks behind them. The building's structure groaned with each misguided impact on it.
 
Arisa turned her attention back to Admiral Lindy. The blood was flowing nonstop, even soaking into her socks and shoes. What can she do? What can she do?
 
“Arisa!” Ms. Testarossa's voice rang out.
 
Arisa looked up from Lindy's body to see Ms. Testarossa running towards her anxiously. Upon reaching the girl, she knelt down and hugged her tightly.
 
“What's taking you so long?” she said softly, “We were so worried about you...”
 
Her voice trailed off as she finally took notice off the bloodied body beside Arisa. The lady released her and took a grim, closer look at Admiral Lindy, lifting her limp hand slightly to feel for a pulse.
 
“Apply pressure on the bleeding area,” she ordered, “Do not touch that piece of wood; do not even try to remove it.”
 
Grateful for the instructions, Arisa nodded, performing the instructed task immediately. Ms. Testarossa checked Lindy's breathing. Satisfied, she picked up a piece of nearby debris to prop Lindy's head up.
 
“I did not spend years in the hospital for nothing,” she answered when Arisa gave her a brief questioning look. She then stood up, looking up at the battle with a mixture of sadness and anger.
 
Fate and Gabriel continued to exchange blows and magic with each other from above, neither of them gaining an advantage over each other.
 
There was a clap. Arisa looked to see the old woman bring her injured palm to the floor. Magical streaks jumped from her hand, electrifying the ground as the ground crumbled. The concrete slabs and metal bits seemed to melt into each other, sharpening and reshaping itself, surrounding and reinforcing her arm and forming an armor of sort. When she stumbled back to her feet, the old woman flexed her newly acquired metal claws with an bitter grimace. The metal units creaked into position in accordance to her will.
 
She then turned her head towards Lindy's body. An annoyed frown.
 
Ignoring Ms. Testarossa, she continued to turn towards Arisa, staring at her for a moment. Then she smirked in satisfaction.
 
That brought chills down Arisa's spine, freezing her to her spot, unable to run or scream when the old woman started to run towards the young girl in large, heavy stomps, dragging the massive artificial claw behind her.
 
---------------------------------------------
 
'Zamber Mode'
 
Gabriel decided to risk a glance behind as he swerved over the beam. What he saw did not make him feel particularly hopeful. The head of her staff was realigning itself, splitting into a hilt. Then the electrifying yellow blade burst into presence.
 
Great. Just what he needed. A big bloody blade of energy that was bigger than its wielder.
 
Fate swung the gigantic sword towards him with surprising ease, cutting through all those metal support as though they were nothing. Gabriel turned, landing himself on another support beam away from her. The sword-wielding girl flew closer, blade ready for another slash.
 
He tightened his hold on the evil stone in his hand. No way was he going to give it up. No way could he ever turn back. He had given up his innocence, his conscience for it.
 
He will use it to save his mother. For now, nothing else matters.
 
And that girl coming towards him was yet another obstacle towards that.
 
Reaching into his cloak, he drew his cards. Allowing his fingers to brush against the alchemic circle he had drawn for each and every single card, Gabriel threw them towards Fate. The multiple cards started the alchemic transformation in mid air, becoming harder and sharper as they spun towards Fate.
 
Fate swung the sword at the cards, deflecting them away from her. She continued speeding towards him with the cold, determined look on her face, bating not an eyelid as the deflected cards exploded beside her.
 
Gabriel threw another set of cards. And another set. Every set he threw was deflected by Fate, until she got too close. She was before him, unharmed by his attacks and swinging her gigantic sword at him.
 
Gabriel took a step back, jumping backwards off where he stood just in time to avoid the slash. As his fall was broken by his staff, he drew an entire deck of cards and threw them upwards into the sky. The cards scattered into the air. As they fluttered down in descend like snowflakes around the surprised girl, the alchemic circles glowed briefly.
 
Then they all exploded.
 
“The two of you! Stop fighting now!”
 
Gabriel jerked his head towards the voice. Mother stood below, cupping her mouth and shouting angrily towards the both of them.
 
That was it. He will grab her and make a run for it. Then he could perform the healing ceremony.
 
Turning his staff, Gabriel sped towards Mother. He reached his arm out to catch her as he came closer.
 
Stomping. A savage swing hit him from the side, knocking him into the wall. The stone fell from his hand, rolling onto the ground. Red clouded his vision as the pain from his back spread across his body.
 
Dante scooped up the stone, never slowing down in pace in her strides towards the auburn-haired girl beside the bleeding body.
 
He could barely hear his mother scream at the sudden attack on him. Mumbling the healing spell, he lifted his injured head up just to see Professor Dante knock Mother aside, pushing her off her feet and into a pillar.
 
“Mother!”
 
He scrambled back to his feet, scrambling towards his mother's side, gaining speed as his body began to heal magically.
 
Mother tilted her head slightly towards him and smiled faintly. Then she frowned.
 
“Now you stop all that fighting! You have caused enough harm...”
 
There was a scream from behind. Gabriel ignored everything, feverishly casting the healing spell on his mother to heal her physical injuries. The loss of the Philosopher's stone and the possibility of Fate coming from behind had been temporarily casted to the back of his mind.
 
As she regained her strength, Mother's facial expression changed from anger to horror. She then pushed Gabriel away from her, rising up and ran towards Professor Dante.
 
Dante's new claws were wrapped around the girl's body, lifting her up in the air for Dante to inspect. Her eyes widened in surprise, and glee. Another sadistic grin came to her as the Professor licked her lips, unaffected by the girl's struggles and cussing.
 
Mother rammed her own body against Dante in a bid to free the girl. The Professor did not even bulge. Instantly, a wall of concrete rose from the ground, separating her from the woman.
 
“Mother!”
 
Gabriel rose, having fully healed and sped towards his reeling mother, landing at her side. Mother grabbed him by his collar and held tightly, breathing heavily and coughing hoarsely.
 
“Save Arisa,” she said angrily, “You caused this mess, stop it now!.” She then released the boy, grabbing a piece of wreckage and swinging it at Dante.
 
The Professor casually swatted her aside, never leaving her eyes off the captive girl.
 
Gabriel flew ahead, grabbing Mother before she hit ground. She coughed painfully, still struggling to get back to her feet and having yet another go at Professor Dante. Taking care to lay her down gently, he turned towards his Professor. She had been so concerned, so grandmotherly, offering so much guidance in the past. All those... were only to use him as a pawn for her own ends?
 
That he did not mind. But to use up his last chance of saving Mother. But to hit Mother...
 
If he was to save Mother, the stone must be his. If that meant defeating Dante, so be it.
 
“Mother, go now!” he hissed as he raised his wand, firing off a blast of lightning, destroying the concrete barrier.
 
“Not until Arisa is safe and you, stop all these nonsense!” Mother used her make-shift bat to support herself as she coughed.
 
“Fine! I'll save her, okay?” Gabriel replied to his foolhardy mother in frustration, “Just stay here.” Then grabbing his staff, he sped towards his target.
 
---------------------------------------------