Mai-HiME Fan Fiction ❯ An Affair to Remember ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: The Alley
Edited by Weaver…Arigato
Chapter 3: The Alley
“Ahhhh!” Mai sighed as three girls entered their room in the hotel Natsuki rented for them. The fiery haired girl stretched her arms upward and let her body fall on the soft bed, “This is the very first time I gave in to having a vacation after the Carnival and after Takumi's operation!” Mai said giddily, Mikoto crouched on the bed where Mai was lying, she was looking at Mai's happy face and nodded at Mai's exclamation.
Natsuki who was keeping her travel bag inside the cabinet turned to look at her two companions with a frown, “Oi! We didn't come here for a vacation! We are here to look for Shizuru,” she said sternly.
Mai bolted up from the bed and turned her head so that she could see the blue haired girl, “I know that! It's just that being away from Fuuka and away from my life still counts as a vacation for me! Whether I spend it looking for kaichou-san or lazing out in this hotel room, it's still the same for me.”
Natsuki took a deep breath, let it out before speaking, “Gomen, I think I'm already at the end of my patience here, I've been looking for Shizuru for 2 months…”
“And we will find her right?” Mikoto asked, her focus now was on Natsuki, “It must be hard for Natsuki without kaichou-san with her…” Mikoto scrunched her forehead as if in deep thinking, “I know because it'll be hard for me if Mai left me.”
Natsuki's frown deepened, “Shizuru didn't leave me…she disappeared!” She screamed at Mikoto.
“Okay-okay!” Mikoto wailed before falling on the bed herself.
Mai looked around the room and frowned, “Why is it that there are only two beds here?” she asked, “Don't you plan on sleeping?” She looked at Natsuki worriedly.
“Baka! That is because you two always sleep on one bed, so what's the use of asking for an extra mattress? Mikoto will just be sleeping on you so I'll save Mikoto some work and besides, extra mattress means extra charge,” Natsuki explained, she was standing with arms akimbo, “And I'm paying for all of these so at least I could save some just in case…”
Natsuki was stunned by a pillow hitting her face, “Don't tell me that you'll give up searching if we can't find her here?”
Silence.
“Baka! If your instinct says that kaichou-san is alive, then she is alive and you have to find her! Baka!” Mai fumed. Natsuki sighed again before mumbling `hai-hai' in agreement.
“So today is Thursday, we'll head out at 3:00 pm since Takahano-san said he got there at 4:30.” Natsuki said then she sat on the bed, “let's rest for the meantime.”
XXX
The three entered their room, Natsuki and Mai had a frown fixed on their faces while Mikoto was just plain tired. At 3:00, the trio went out of the hotel and made their way to Kyoto Gakuen University, at 4 they arrived there and to their surprise, the school was closed. Natsuki who was so devastated looked for someone they could talk but there was none so they decided to visit a fast food chain, ate and went back to their hotel room.
“So what's plan B?” Mai asked.
“Plan B?” Natsuki echoed.
Mai frowned, “Are you suffering from echolalia? I asked what is plan B Natsuki!”
“I heard you, and I am asking you what plan B?”
“O come on! You're one of those action movie fanatics and you don't know that when you have plan A then you must have plan B when A doesn't work out?”
Natsuki made an expression of understanding Mai's point, “Well plan B is…” Natsuki sighed, “Perhaps we could go there again tomorrow.”
Mai frowned, “That's plan B? How the hell does your plan B differ from plan A?”
Natsuki looked at Mai and smiled, “We go there at 7 am or earlier!”
“WHAT?” Mai's eyes widened, “I don't wake up that early even when we were in Fuuka!”
Natsuki pouted, “Then you can stay here, if Takahano-san's phone said it was taken at 7 then I am going there at seven too.” She dropped her body on her bed, “Besides every great detective knows that you cannot leave a crime scene without every stone unturned!”
Mai looked at the blue haired girl and shook her head, “I think you need a rest already Natsuki, and we will go Mayo hunting tomorrow…I think your screws are started loosening without your oil.” Mai said and dropped her body on her bed.
“AW! MAI! You dropped on me!” Mikoto wailed when Mai fell on her.
Mai giggled, “Gomen Mikoto, you're so soft I thought you're the bed!”.
“Mai Ikezu!” Mikoto said mimicking Shizuru's Kyoto-ben, her innocent act was rewarded by a pillow flying to her face, “Aw! Natsuki too!”
“Shut up and go to sleep!” Natsuki and Mai screamed at Mikoto.
XXX
Natsuki was wide awake when the clock chimed at 4 a.m., no matter how many sheep she tried counting last night, sleep didn't visit her, so she just laid in bed pretending to be asleep. That's why at 4, Natsuki was already up and ready to go. She went over Mai's and Mikoto's bed, the younger girl was over Mai, her face resting on the older girl's breast and was purring delightedly you think you can trick me with that innocent act of yours Mikoto? Natsuki thought while shaking her head. She shook Mikoto's shoulder lightly causing the young girl to yawn and open her eyes.
Mikoto seated herself and started rubbing her sleep laden eyes with the base of her palm and then she looked at Natsuki who was smiling at her, “Natsuki is up early?” she asked then looking at the clock.
“You want to take a hike?” Natsuki asked.
“Where are we going?” Mikoto asked a bit louder.
“Shh, you'll wake up Mai.” Natsuki replied.
Mikoto smiled, “Where are we going?” she whispered.
“At Shizuru's school.” Mikoto frowned.
“But aren't we taking Mai with us?”
“She's still asleep and I wanted to run from here to the school.” Natsuki said.
“Hmmm…Mai will be worried if she wakes up and I'm not around.” Mikoto reasoned.
“We'll leave a note to Mai. She's tired and she needs to rest.” Natsuki said trying to convince the young HiME, “Besides Mai doesn't like running right? And I'll get you ice cream once we arrived there.”
At the mention of Ice cream, Mikoto's eyes twinkled and she nodded her head eagerly, “I'll just change and brush my teeth.” She said then she eagerly hop out of the bed, took some clothes on their shared travel bag and went in the washroom to change.
Natsuki shook her head at Mikoto's actions how easy to please Mikoto, Mai is very lucky indeed.
XXX
The school bell rang signalling the end of classes. Students started making their way out of the University gate and went on different ways to their own home. The lovely and refined chestnut haired girl was walking alone, nodding to anyone who greets her on her way. Her crimson orbs twinkling with delight, her unique earrings glittered every time the late afternoon sun kissed the earring's gem. She passed by the gate and turned right to traverse the road to her home when she suddenly stopped…the feeling of being watched overcome her, this was the first time she felt it.
“Viola-san! Viola-san!” the young man called out and ran to meet her.
“Viola-sama! Viola-sama!” two young girls called out after the young man and ran to her as well.
Smiling, the chestnut haired girl turned around to face the three young students and greeted them.
XXX
Natsuki and Mikoto was panting when they arrived at the school's gate, just like yesterday, there was no trace of activity within the school premises, Natsuki looked at her watch and saw that it was only 6:45 am, 15 more minutes before 7:00, “Hey Mikoto!”
“Hm?”
“Maybe we should rest first? We still have 15 minutes before seven, so we can wait out and then when nothing happens, we'll get your ice cream, how about that?”
“Oh I like that. So we will wait for Kaichou-san?” Mikoto asked which was answered by a nod.
Natsuki and Mikoto led themselves to a tree just in front of the main gate, 10 minutes in their waiting when the two HiME's felt something odd.
“Natsuki? Is it going to rain? The clouds are getting darker.”
“Maybe…how long have we been here?” Natsuki asked and looked at her watch, her eyes widened when she found that her watch reads 4:25 in the afternoon, “Ne…Mikoto, something's wrong…”
“I can feel it too…” Mikoto said seriously, “I can feel a powerful presence Natsuki!” Mikoto said then looked at the older girl.
“Look at the time at my watch!” Natsuki said and pushed her wrist on Mikoto's face.
“4:27…” Mikoto frown, “My grandfather taught me many things, he said that there are unimaginable beings that walks along with the living, do you think we are talking about ghost?” she asked worriedly.
“Are you psychic?” Natsuki asked and Mikoto shook her head no, “Then we are not talking about ghost, all we had right now is our latent power as HiMEs and…”
Their conversation was interrupted by the sudden sound of school bell ringing, signifying the end of classes. The two looked at the school's gate and their eyes widened when all of a sudden, the school premises were now littered with students, all of them making their way out of the campus, everyone looked happy…
“This isn't about ghost Natsuki…I could feel…I could feel Miroku acting up inside me.” Mikoto said softly
“Hai…I could feel Duran too.”
“What are we looking at Natsuki?” Mikoto asked looking at Natsuki with a concern look.
“I don't suppose we entered a different time or a parallel dimension?” Natsuki asked or convinced herself…she doesn't care, “We haven't move an inch from when we arrived.” Mikoto nodded not caring if Natsuki saw it.
“Kaichou-san!” Mikoto screamed, this caught Natsuki's attention and looked at where Mikoto was looking.
“Shi…Shizuru…” Natsuki whispered and then her eyes widened, “SHIZURU!” she screamed and then she ran towards the retreating form of Shizuru, “SHIZURU!!” She screamed at the top of her voice.
She was followed by Mikoto screaming loudly the word Kaichou-san.
XXX
Another interruption…wait…who are these girls? Why do I feel something different about them? Who are they and what do they want from my Onee-sama…Onee-sama… Kiyo looked at her dear Onee-sama, she frowned when found the boy the other day approach her again, but her frown deepened when there were two more students who approached, and her dear Onee-sama who ignored them before decided to turn around and greet them, why Onee-sama? Why are you doing this?
Kiyo's attention wasn't on them even though she hates the fact that her routine was interrupted once more, her attention was on the two girls screaming and running after her Onee-sama, the two foreign girls. Her heart started beating fast, nervously fast so she made a dash to her Onee-sama dropping the umbrellas she was holding, “Onee-sama!” she screamed and grabbed the older girl's wrist.
“Ara Kiyo-chin, what's the matter?”
“I saw an Ice cream vendor and it's getting far, I want to buy ice cream now!” she wailed but her eyes were on the two foreign girls, now standing before them with their eyes ablaze, “Please Onee-sama!”
“Ara-ara, okay!” she said smiling and then she took the canvas handed to her by one of the girl's in school and bowed, she said her excuse and then Kiyo pulled her away and the two ran away.
XXX
Natsuki and Mikoto was stunned when a raven haired girl came dashing at Shizuru and started pulling the girl away, but aside from the sudden presence of the girl, the way Shizuru did not react on them calling her name was a puzzle. The two HiMEs could hear them talk, it was as if Shizuru cannot hear them.
When the girl pulled Shizuru and ran fast away from them, the two decided its time to get Shizuru back, so they run after the two girls. They were fast, but Natsuki and Mikoto knew that Shizuru cannot run as fast as them.
The one they were chasing turned at every corner and entered alley after alley, Mikoto's trained eyes not leaving the two ahead of them. Mikoto now running ahead of Natsuki was getting closer.
“Don't look back Mikoto if you catch them grab Shizuru!” Natsuki screamed.
“HAI!” Mikoto replied and started running faster, Natsuki made extra effort and ran faster so that she will not lose sight of Mikoto.
A little bit more and Mikoto could have grab Shizuru, but she met the crimson orbs of the little girl, still running, she raised a hand and Mikoto was stunned to hit something, she fell on her butt, she shook her head and saw where she hit, a lamp post, “Funny, this post wasn't here before.” Mikoto thought.
“Mikoto?!” Natsuki called out and stopped, “What happened? Where are they?”
“There!” Mikoto said pointing at the back of the two girls they were chasing, the two were making their turn on an alley.
“Come on!” Natsuki urged and run ahead, when Mikoto got up on her feet, she followed Natsuki.
They made a turn to the alley where the two girls went but they stopped on their tracks with what they saw…
It was a dead end. It was made by three buildings close with each other. No doors or windows where they can escape, except if the two went back and pass them by, but they didn't …
“Mikoto…”
“I think we need help Natsuki.” Mikoto said weakly, “I don't like ice cream anymore, I want to eat! I am hungry with all the running!” she said and flopped down on the rough ground.
“We need to contact Himeno-san, I hope she could help… and I think we need Yamada to find me something.” Natsuki said, her face was scrunched and her eyes has the look of determination by hook or by crook, I'll get you back Shizuru…
XXX
The wind blew passed the open window causing the woman to shiver despite the thick blanket covering her slim body. Her eyes began to move once the sunlight hit her face. She smiled when she heard the soft, lovely voice from the kitchen singing an unfamiliar song.
“Onee-sama!” the voice stopped singing and without looking at the woman on the futon started speaking, “I have prepared your tea just as you like it, and I made a special vegetable salad for your breakfast. Can you get up now and prepare yourself? You don't want to be late for school right?” The soft voice ended her tirade causing the older woman to laugh.
The woman pulled her long, wavy chestnut hair into a pony tail and stood up. She started folding her futon, once done she kept it inside the small wooden cabinet at the corner of the small room. She was to go to the kitchen when a canvas took her attention. Slowly she picked it up and started unrolling it.
Kiyo frowned, she heard her Onee-sama's rustling futon and she heard her kept it in their cabinet which means her Onee-sama is already awake then why isn't she coming over here yet and take this table to our room? Curiosity got the better of her so she decided to break another of her routine and went inside to call her Onee-sama again.
“Onee-chan…” but whatever Kiyo wanted to say was stopped when she saw her Onee-sama sitting in front of a canvas, tears in her eyes. The canvas was an unfinished painting of a blue hared girl, she has her arms crossed on her chest and the girl was leaning on a black motorcycle, the girl's cloth and face wasn't finish but the sudden beating of her heart tells her that she have seen this girl before Onee-sama? You're crying… at this Kiyo's face became darker, anger seeps in and her eyes narrowed, “Onee-sama!!” she screamed and before the chestnut haired girl could move, the little girl grabbed the painting and ripped it into pieces.
The little girl kneeled down before the chestnut haired girl, embraced her and whispered softly into her ear before the chestnut haired girl collapsed into slumber.
XXX
The wind blew passed the open window causing the woman to shiver despite the thick blanket covering her slim body. Her eyes began to move once the sunlight hit her face. She smiled when she heard the soft, lovely voice from the kitchen singing an unfamiliar song.
“Onee-sama!” the voice stopped singing and without looking at the woman on the futon started speaking, “I have prepared your tea just as you like it, and I made a special vegetable salad for your breakfast. Can you get up now and prepare yourself? You don't want to be late for school right?” The soft voice ended her tirade causing the older woman to laugh.
The woman pulled her long, wavy chestnut hair into a pony tail and stood up. She started folding her futon, once done she kept it inside the small wooden cabinet at the corner of the small room. Now awake, she strutted towards the kitchen and pulled a small folding table and placed it at the center of the now empty room where her futon used to lie.
Going in the kitchen she saw a wooden tray where two empty cups and a tea pot rests. She took the tray and brought it to the room where the table was now prepared, followed by a small girl who is now carrying two small plates of vegetable salad.
Crimson orbs met crimson orbs as the two seated themselves opposite each other in seiza position. The chest nut haired woman smiled at the little girl with silky raven hair, “Ookini Kiyo-chin, you've been taking care of me very well!” she said smiling,
“Onee-chan! I really should take care of you we are all that's left.”
The older woman sighed, “Hai, you're right, but sometimes I think you're over doing it!”
“I do?”
“Ara? Doesn't Kiyo-chin notice it?
Kiyo shook her head no, “I just want my Onee-chan to be well and happy!” she cheerfully said.
“Well I am, especially if you take good care of yourself and stop worrying too much about me.”
“Then I shall take good care of myself, if that's what Onee-chan wants!”
“Good!” The older woman then looked down on their breakfast, “This looks delicious Kiyo-chin!” Kiyo nodded excitedly, “Itadakimasu!” both females said before they started eating, but unlike before, the chestnut haired girl's face bore a sad expression.
-End chapter 3-