Mai-HiME Fan Fiction ❯ Mai-HiME: "Loose Threads" ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mai HiME: "Loose Threads"
 
Chapter 7
 
 
"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."
 
Somehow, Yuuki Nao couldn't believe that. Even here in this sacred place the words of "Our Savior" rang hollow. For the meekest among us remained downtrodden under the heels of others.
 
Nao enjoyed cleaning this small, country church. It wasn't much but it was something. Maybe someday, through her deeds she might gain absolution for her sins. Her many, many sins.
 
Sins of morality, sins of carnality. She'd hunted and captured and robbed and assaulted. But they were all tainted with the stain of sin. She only brought them a step toward redemption by relieving them of their worldly goods. Yet even with all her work, she could only point them towards redemption. She could not save them. Yuuki Nao was powerless.
 
"The meek shall inherit the earth, huh?" The redhead scoffed as she polished the statue of the Holy Mother.
 
"If I were like you," Nao said. "Pure like you, would I be able to bring salvation?"
 
No. Purity was a distant memory for Nao. Even if she'd never let the filthy men touch her with their sordid hands she was still tainted by her own past, her own sins. Her life was forfeit. However, there was one thing she could do. Yuuki Nao could at least save one life.
 
Minagi Mikoto WAS meek. Yet, the earth had only delivered one heartbreak after another. She was slowly drowning because of the heart given to her by the so-called "merciful" God. Her would-be protector, Tokiha Mai was the source of her turmoil.
 
Nao's fists clenched at the very thought of that name. How many times had Mai played with her heart, led her by a rope around her neck, only to leave Mikoto tied to a wall, unfulfilled.
 
Had she not been in the "Lord's House" Nao would have spat out the bile she tasted in her mouth.
 
As Nao gathered her cleaning supplies and untied the kerchief which held back her red hair, the doors to the chapel creaked open. A vaguely familiar figure walked in, her face obscured by the sudden flood of sunlight.
 
"Excuse me, is the priest here?" the girl asked hesitantly. "I-I need someone to hear my confession."
 
As the familiar girl came forward Yuuki Nao smiled a smile much like the statue of the benevolent Holy Mother. This was truly a sign from Heaven. Her course was correct and the salvation of Minagi Mikoto would succeed.
 
For God had delivered the method of salvation to her.
 
"All are welcome in the House of the Lord, Tokiha Mai-san"