Mai-HiME Fan Fiction ❯ What we do for love ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]
Alas...this is my first fanfic. I want you all to do that crazy read and review thing. But tell the truth! If I suck, be like…"Dude...you suck." Then I'll know whether to continue or not. So yeah...on with the details. I don't own Mai Hime/Otome, cause if I did…that damn Tomoe...-shakes fist-
What We Do For Love

It was happening again. For the third night that week, Shizuru laid staring at the ceiling of the one bedroom apartment she shared with her partner. Something was off, but she couldn't quite put her finger on it.
The soft snoring coming from the left side of the bed was usually enough to lull her to sleep, but as of late she tossed and turned for hours until she was in her current state. She sighed heavily, and stole a glance at the bright red numbers that appeared to be mocking her: 3:42.
"This can't go on," she whispered softly. "I must tell her." Eventually Morpheus came to claim her, and she fell into a deep sleep.
Shizuru awoke the next morning, feeling anything but refreshed. Dragging herself out of bed, she stumbled awkwardly (but ever so gracefully, knowing Shizuru 3) into the kitchen, where her nose was assaulted with a wide variety of aromas: bacon, eggs, pancakes and sausage to name only a few. In front of her with a frying pan in her hand was her blue haired partner, humming to herself softly. Normally, this is where Shizuru would sneak up on her, wrap her arms around Natsuki's slim waist, and do things to her that would make her blush for hours. But this was important. She needed a serious tone to be set.
"Natsuki...you made breakfast..." The experienced rider turned around with a shocked look on her face, which was immediately replaced with a small grin. "Good morning, Shizuru...and...whoa...what the hell ran you over?" Shizuru smiled at Natsuki's blatant remark, and went to prepare her tea.
"Natsuki, darling, why are you cooking? We only just moved into this apartment. You should wait at least a month before you decide to burn it down." Natsuki scoffed audibly, and stuck her tongue out at the Kyoto-ben brunette. “Ya know what I think? I think it’s denial, ‘cause I can cook better than you.” She crossed her arms over her chest and smirked in her personal victory. Shizuru grinned and continued drinking her tea.
“Sweetie...without Mai’s help, it would still be ramen for breakfast.” Natsuki’s face scrunched up, as she returned to her cooking. Shizuru sat her tea down, and tried to plan out what she was going to say. How is she going to take this? Will she be angry? Will she yell? Will she...cry? The thought of her Natsuki crying broke Shizuru’s heart. But it had to be done, regardless of the consequences.
She cleared her throat, and turned towards Natsuki. “Honey...can you sit down with me please?” Natsuki turned around slowly, quirking an eyebrow. “What’s with the seriousness? What’s on your mind?” She pulled the chair out, all the while keeping her eyes locked on Shizuru’s. “There’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you...I don’t know how you’ll react, but I can’t keep it from you any longer.” The sadness in Shizuru’s eyes kept Natsuki’s mind racing to every possible scenario. The brunette paused, sighed once more before beginning, and finally started with “Natsuki...”