Mai-HiME Fan Fiction ❯ What we do for love ❯ Chapter 3

[ A - All Readers ]
-KNOCK KNOCK!-

Despite the many loud and obnoxious knocks coming from the front door, Natsuki sat grounded with her arms over her chest. "Shizuru...I don't want to answer it. It's her. I know it is." Shizuru took the same stance as Natsuki, a stern look upon her face. "Natsuki, stop acting like a child. I have to throw something suitable on. Just entertain her. Please?" Natsuki groaned loudly while getting up, and stompted all the way to the door. 'I can do this. She's just a bitter old woman. I'm stronger than this.' One more deep sigh and she threw the door open, a fake smile plastered on her face.
"OH MY SHIZU-! Oh. It's you. Where's Shizuru?" The sight before almost knocked the wind out of Natsuki. It had been so long and she had almost forgotten how much Shizuru resembled her Mother. Standing in the door way was the much feared Shizuka; Shizuru's incredibly overprotective mother. The same long brunette hair, the same crimson eyes, all adorned a face noticeably older than Shizuru's. "Hey. Butch. I asked you a question. Where's my daughter?" The smile on Natsuki's face disappeared immediately, replaced with the normal cold unrelenting eyes. "She's getting dressed. Wait in the living room." Before Natsuki could invite her in, Shizuka had already made herself comfortable on the couch. "Gee, love what you've done with the place. Guess it's all you could afford with that salary, huh?"
Before Natsuki could strangle her, Shizuru appeared, almost glowing. This seemed to fade as she noticed the tension this enough to cut. "Mother! Uhm..Hi! It's so good to see you. It's been far too long."
'Not long enough,' Natsuki thought with a small grin. Shizuka ran over to embrace her daughter, tears beginning to form. "Shizuru darling. I'm so happy to see you. Hey. You. Get up and get us some tea. Make yourself useful." Natsuki stopped and was about to respond when she saw Shizuru give her a look of "not now." Again she sighed, and got up to make the tea. After all, those two had things to catch up on. Things Natsuki didn't particularly care about.
While making the tea, the idea to spit in Shizuka's seemed almost too good to resist. But on the other hand, if Shizuru ever found out, she'd be on the couch for a month. Or worse. That brought up another thought. Where would Shizuka sleep? There was no way Shizuru would let her precious mother sleep on the simple store bought mattress. And there was no way in hell Natsuki would sleep in the same room, let alone same bed.
She grabbed the glasses and made her way to the living room. Just as she was about to enter, she heard something that grabbed her attention, and she stopped to listen. "Shizuru. Listen to me. You could do so much better. I know this man. Incredibly kind, and has an income like you wouldn't believe. In other words, you'd be set for life. This is someone who would take care of you, and love you." Natsuki couldn't believe what she was hearing. Shizuka never knew when to quit. "Mother, you aren't listening to me. You don't understand. I love Natsuki. She loves me. There is no one else I'd rather spend the rest of my life with. Please, just drop it."
"Fine. I'll drop it. But you could do so much better." Feeling like this was as good a time as any, Natsuki entered and placed the tea in front of Shizuka and Shizuru, and took one for herself. Smiling widely, she purposely sat too close to Shizuru, waiting for the expected and then received scoff from the mother. "Sooo...Shizuka. Are you enjoying yourself?" Shizuka sipped her tea and looked up at Natsuki. "Oh, I'm sorry. Were you speaking?" Thankfully Natsuki was able to stop herself from saying something that would cause even more of an uproar, and stayed quiet. "Natsuki? Mother and I were talking, and were wondering if you would mind...sleeping on the couch."
If Shizuru wasn't there to slam her on the back, Natsuki surely would have choked on her tea. "Are you serious? Why can't she take the couch?!"
"Natsuki, can I speak to you please, in the kitchen? Now." Natsuki death glared Shizuka once more before following Shizuru into the kitchen. "Shizuru. I'm trying to be nice here. But really. Why can't she take the couch?" Shizuru turned around, her face turned into pure anger. "This is not about the damn couch. It's about you. I know you don't like her. But try harder and pretend you do." Natsuki felt defeated. Why couldn't Shizuru see she was trying? "Fine. Whatever. I'll take the couch. I have somewhere to be now. You two have fun." With that, she walked past Shizuru to their bedroom, and picked up the telephone. Shizuka had heard the commotion, and decided to follow Natsuki. Seeing that she was on the phone, she waited outside of the door. "Hey. It's me. I can't wait any longer. I need to see you. We planned this out. I want to follow through. She doesn't suspect a thing. I wonder what she'll think when she finds out? Yeah, yeah. The mall. I know. Love you too." Shizuka let out the breath she had been holding in the entire time, and rushed to the living room. She knew Natsuki was no good. She knew she was only out to hurt her daughter. The next step...follow Natsuki to the mall, and find out who this person was.

--------------------------
Well. That's it. I hope you guys at least semi-ejoyed it. ;]