MAR Fan Fiction ❯ Sibling Rivalry ❯ Painful Recollections ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own MÄR or any of its characters save Shizuka. These accomplishments belong to the genius Nobuyuki Anzai . I'm only borrowing them for a while for my own little story.
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
A tall teenage girl stood alone on a rocky ledge, surveying the burning town below. The cold wind blew through her long blue hair that was only a little darker than her blue eyes, hidden behind her black fox-shaped mask. The curse on her right arm throbbed a little as she deactivated her ÄRM. Her flame bow returned to its usual bracelet-like state. The wind blew a little stronger, ruffling her dark blue tank top and black pants. She sighed as she closed her eyes. `Why would Phantom want to waste his time and ours with these pathetic town? Oh well.' She then opened her eyes to see an older teenage boy with blue hair and blue eyes run to the aid of some of the still-living cross-guard members who had fallen. He was closely followed by a moderately tall and slightly younger boy who had blue eyes and a lot of bright blonde hair, a shorter and butt-ugly boy with short spiked black hair and large black eyes, a beige dog that ran on two legs, a girl with freakishly long pink hair and maroon eyes, a violet haired girl with a large pink bow who could only be recognized as Princess Snow, and a guy with long pale blonde hair covering half his face.
The mysterious blue-haired female narrowed her eyes, causing them to become triangular in shape as she eyed the blue-haired male. `So, big brother, you've started traveling in a group once more, huh? It doesn't matter; in the end, nothing matters.' From below, the ugly boy quickly looked around. His eyes widened in shock at all the damage that had been done. The princess had just finished healing the leader of the cross-guard and asked if he had seen who'd done all this damage. He shook his head. “No, we were hit from…” He was cut short as a flaming arrow punctured his body and flew out the other side; stopping only once it'd become lodged in a fallen steel pillar. The man fell with a `thud'; lifeless from the puncture wound to the heart.
All eyes turned in direction of where the arrow made of pure fire had come from. Eight angry eyes fell upon the lone rook holding a red and black bow. The blonde with spiky hair, Ginta, could feel his anger rising. “What'd you do that for!?” The rook, Shizuka, sighed heavily. “Because I was ordered to kill any opposition to my lord's reign. Believe me; I don't enjoy killing left and right.” Suddenly Jack, the ugly black-haired one charged, activating his pathetic battle shovel. When he swung, Shizuka merely side-stepped and activated her favorite ÄRM. Her blaze whip hit him square in the butt. The boy yelled out in pain as he ran around holding his butt like the idiot he was. Shizuka turned to the others; waiting and daring one of them to attack. Just as Ginta was about to attack, Alviss, the blue-haired male, held out an arm to stop him. “No, let me handle this one.” He then activated his steel-element ÄRM that turned into a long steel pole. He then charged full-force. Once he was within three feet, he swung his pole at Shizuka's feet. She jumped to avoid the blow. The second she landed, her opponent aimed another blow to her right. She side-stepped and dodged. A second later, though, Alviss landed a blow to her face. The force of the impact sent her flying backwards, causing her to nearly drop her ÄRM. `Oww, that smarts.'
As she struggled to get to her feet, her mask began to crack. `Not good!' The blue-haired male struck once again. This time, the blow sent her flying further than before. She hit the side of a building so hard that she caused a huge indent in it. She was now leaning against the wall, trying to catch her breath. She couldn't move her beaten muscles. Her older brother walked closer and was about to strike the final blow, when Shizuka's mask shattered completely. The moment Alviss saw the reversed and rotated `S' shaped mark under her right eye, he froze in sudden realization. He shook his head and almost dropped his ÄRM in shock. His blue eyes were filled with a mixture of shock and hurt. “No, it…it can't be.” Shizuka finally caught her breath and stood up; leaning heavily against the wall for support. “Oh, but it is.” Alviss could feel his eyes slowly starting to tear. “But…why sister?” Shizuka's eyes narrowed as the others stood in shock as well. “I have my reasons, just as I had my reasons for holding back.”
Alviss continued to back up; still shaking his head in disbelief. Everyone else stood back, completely stunned. Suddenly, out of nowhere, another rook appeared next to Shizuka. Wordlessly, he teleported the two of them away; back to Phantom's castle. Alviss looked down as he started to cry. `Why, little sister? Was it because I left you alone all these past few years, when you needed me most?' Nobody else could think of anything else to say to the lonely and depressed older brother; not even Ginta.
At that exact time, Shizuka and the other rook, Ian, appeared on the stable ground attached to Phantom's floating castle. Ian supported his badly beaten comrade as the two of them entered the castle. The two of them continued to silently walk through the halls. Because all the other chess pieces were on missions and Phantom was sleeping, the halls were quiet save for their echoing footsteps. Ian turned his worried face to his blue-haired companion. “Are you sure you're going to be okay? I mean, you did get beaten pretty badly.” Shizuka nodded. “Yeah, I think I'll be alright. Next time, I won't hold back!” Ian wanted to say something supportive, but couldn't think of anything.
After a few more seconds of walking, they finally reached Shizuka's room. Ian then set his friend down in one of the chairs in the room before seating himself upon the bed. His usual smirk then reappeared. “Ya know, you're kinda cute without that mask. You should stop wearing it so much.” Shizuka blushed a barley visible pink. “Thanks, maybe I will.” Ian then stood up. “Well, I'm gonna go now. Oh, and if you ever need help in a fight, just call me. Okay?” She nodded. He then walked out and closed the door behind him. She sighed and slumped down in the chair, attempting to get comfortable. `It's a good thing I've got a hundred identical masks.' She then pulled out a mask identical to the one that had been shattered. She was about to put it on when she suddenly gazed into the mirror directly across from her. She then slowly lowered the mask still in her hand. `Hmm, I don't have to wear this mask constantly; just when I'm out.' Her face then turned a deeper shade of red as Ian's words rang in head. However, the red faded as she remembered her older brother's state of despair at her betrayal. `Alviss…if only you could understand. Damn you Phantom! If he hadn't put this damn curse on me, none of this would've happened! Oh well, I can't change the things I've done.' She then stood up and shakily walked to her bed. She collapsed of top of it; curling up and managing to catch some sleep, even if it was uneasy.