MARS Fan Fiction ❯ Marriage, Millionaires, and Motorcycles ❯ Not Again ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
InvincibleInuYasha: I hope all of you are enjoying the fic so far. I love Rei! He's so cool. But look what I've done! AGH! O well, just a lonely little writer's imagination going crazy, not like it'll happen in the actual story, lol. Anyway, better start writing, READ AND REVIEW PLEASE!

Disclaimer: No, MARS doesn't belong to me. Though I wish I could have a cool funny guy like Rei... :'( ...Someday, someday.

Chapter Two: Not Again

Kira ran from her seat, tears streaming from her eyes. Harumi called out to her and started to follow her, but Tatsuya grabbed her arm, "Let her go. They won't let you through anyway." Harumi stared after Kira in worry, and then back at the small and limp Rei on the racetrack, his bike resting on the left side of his body. Harumi bit her lip in worry as tears welled up in her eyes, "Why did he do that?" She started crying and Tatsuya embraced her comfortingly, "I don't know, I just don't know... Let's just hope that Rei will be alright this time."

The rest of the audience was still in shock and devastation. The rest of the racers even stopped their bikes when they came up to the finish line. Their race was over and they could see what had happened. The question was in everybody's head: Why?

Kira ran down to the pits. She flashed her I.D. and was allowed to enter. She ran as fast as her legs could carry her, into the middle of the racetrack. The racers who had arrived left a very wide berth between themselves and the scene around them. Kira pushed past them and ran up to Rei. She dropped to her knees next to him. When he was hit, his body was flung through the air. He was on his back, his arms spread out to his sides, one of them in an unnatural position. His motorcycle had flown too and it was now on top of Rei's body. Kira saw a large crack in his helmet. She cried, "Rei!! Rei, please, please be okay!" She slumped over and cried over him.

"Get out of the way! Let me see him!" Akitaka was shoving his way through the racers and staff that had built up around Rei, Kyoko following close behind him, still in her racing gear. Once they had reached the inside of the circle, they stopped. Kira was crying over Rei, his body limp as a rag doll, and blood creeping betwwen the cracks in the pavement. After a moment Akitaka said to one of the staff quietly, "Get the medical staff here, quick." Kyoko came closer to Kira and kneeled beside her, her hand on Kira's shoulder, "Come on, Kira. They're getting some help now, come on." Kira shook her head, her hair flinging about her face, tears sliding across her cheeks. Kyoko tried to hold in her tears, "Don't worry, they're going to take care of him." She sniffed and let her tears fall as well.

Paramedics made their way through the circle and ambulance sirens could be heard entering the track. Kyoko wiped her face and got up, "Come on, Kira. They're here now, you have to step away or they can't help him." Kira reluctantly got up, but she didn't move. Kyoko took her hand and Kira hugged her arm close, like an upset child. Kyoko hugged her and led her to the inside edge of the circle. Another pair of paramedics went over to treat Mitsuru, who was shakily getting up from his own bike. They watched as the paramedics examined Rei and removed the bike from him carefully. Blood gushed from his waist and Rei coughed violently under his helmet. Kira looked away and choked back a sob. The paramedics covered the wound with a special bandage wrap. Then they removed the helmet and strapped an oxygen mask to Rei's face. Then they lifted him onto a stretcher and pulled him into the waiting ambulance. One of the paramedics asked, "Is there any family or friend that is coming along?" Kira stepped foward and got into the amubulance as the paramedic shut the door. The sirens rang again as the two ambulances carried away the first and second place racers.

Kira held Rei's left hand tightly. His right hand was being put into a splint. Kira rubbed her thumb over the silver wedding band on Rei's ring finger. A similar one was on her own. She looked at his face. There was a large bruise forming near his chin, but other than that, he looked just as if he was sleeping. But Kira knew he wasn't really sleeping. One of the paramedics said, "He's not too bad. He'll be okay once the doctors take care of him." Kira nodded, but she was still upset. He had finally won the Suzuka. He must have been so exhilarated. And then this happened. It seemed that every year, something would happen to worsen things for them.

*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*

The awards ceremony was cancelled. They had rewarded the third place winners with their prize privately. The audience was being ushered out from the stands. Questions were flying everywhere. Akitaka and Kyoko went outside and looked around the crowd forming at the exit. He saw Harumi and Tatsuya and went up to them, "Hey, Tatsuya, Harumi." They turned and smiled weakly, "Hi, Akitaka." Tatsuya asked, "How's Rei? Did they say anything?" Akitaka said, "They said he'll live and he'll recover eventually. But I'm still not too sure, I'd rather have the doctor's word. I'm heading over to the hospital right now. Are you going too?" Harumi said, "Of course. We'll follow you."

They entered the emergency room doors and found Kira sitting in the waiting area. She was holding her head in her hands, crying. Harumi sat down beside her and put an arm around her comfortingly, "Are you all right, Kira?" Kira sniffed and said quietly, "Why did he do that? Rei finally won, and then..." She sobbed and Harumi hugged her. Akitaka was quietly fuming and Tatsuya went to the paramedics to ask questions. Kyoko sat on the other side of Kira. The bright red light above the ER was on.

Kyoko said, "I'm sure Rei will pull through. He'll be alright Kira, he will." She wiped a tear from her eye. They were all waiting for about an hour when the door into the waiting room burst open. Rei's father stood in the doorway. Kira stared at him and he asked, "What's happened? Is Rei alright?" Kira sniffed and puther head in her hands. Tatsuya returned and said, "The nurse told me that in time, he'll be fine. As for what happened, Rei finally won the Suzuka. But when he stopped his bike, the second place racer kept going and crashed into him. Rei got thrown back and his bike landed on top of him. I dunno how bad he is, exactly." Mr.Kashino removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes, sighing, "This is too much. Why does it always have to be Rei getting hurt?"

Harumi and Tatsuya left to pick up Rei's bike. Kyoko and Akitaka had gone back to the racetrack to collect the winnings and to try and find some more information on what exactly was going on. A doctor exited the ER and Kira and Mr.Kashino stood. The doctor removed his mask and smiled, "It was a successful surgery. The patient will be just fine. But it will take about two months for him to walk on his left leg again. His femur was pretty much shattered. He'll probably have to stay at the hospital for a week, more or less." Kira sighed and smiled, "Thank God." The doctor said, "We'll be moving him into the recovery room, and then we'll get him his own room." He left and then someone else entered the waiting room. Kira said, "Officer Okuda?" The officer said, "Hello Kira, Mr.Kashino."

Officer Okuda said, "Mr.Kashino, Kira, I have to ask. Are you planning to press charges against Mr.Takuhai?" Kira bit her lip, but Mr.Kashino said, "Yes. He crashed into my son purposely, that's reason enough. But to top it off, this is the second time." Kira didn't object, but she stayed quiet. Okuda said, "Okay. Whenever you can, you'll have to drop by the station. I'll have everything ready for you there. But right now I have to go. I have to talk to Takuhai and get this whole case figured out."

*::~::*::~::*::~::*::~::*::~::*::~::*

"Uhn..." It was too bright. Rei tried lifting his arm to shield his eyes, but it hurt too much. A moment later, a shade came over his eyes. They fluttered open and he muttered, "Kira..." Kira smiled at him from the window, closing the curtains, "You're finally up. I was worried." She came up to him and gave him a light kiss on the cheek, "How are you feeling?" "Like shit.Ugh, what the hell happened?" Kira explained everything and added, "But Officer Okuda told us that Mitsuru said he couldn't grab the bike's brakes in time." Rei, not as groggy as he was before, rolled his eyes, "Bullshit. He's a good enough racer to know how to work his brakes, if not, steer out of the way. That bastard is just trying to weasel out of trouble again." Kira sighed, "Well, your father said he was going to press charges against Mitsuru. Is that okay with you?" Rei said, "Yeah." He blinked and remembered something, "Hey, I don't remember well, did I win?" Kira smiled, "Yep." Rei gave her a wide grin, "Yes! Finally!"

A knock came from the door, "Looks like you're doing well, Rei." Mr.Kashino smiled and came in, "Good to see you awake." Kira smiled, "Hello, father! How are you?" Mr.Kashino smiled, "I'm doing well. I just came from the police station. Officer Okuda already set a date for the trial, it will be in two weeks. The doctors said you should be well enough by then to appear in court. Is that okay with you, Rei?" Rei nodded, "Yeah." Mr.Kashino put a hand on Rei's shoulder, "Good. So I'll prepare everything for now. You just concentrate on getting better." Rei grinned, "You got it." Mr.Kashino said, "Well, I've got to go to work now. Then I'll be back at the station with Officer Okuda. If you need me you can call my cell phone." Kira smiled, "Have a good day at work." Mr.Kashino waved as he backed out of the room, closing the door behind him.

Rei smirked, "Finally, he's gone." Kira raised an eyebrow, "What?" "Kiss me." Kira smiled and bent down, pressing her lips against his. Rei pressed closer, deepening the kiss. After another moment, Kira pulled away, a tinge of pink on her cheeks, "Rei, we're in the hospital, we can't be doing this." Rei licked his now pink and cherry-lip-balm-flavored lips seductively and smirked, "Why not?"

A light tapping on the door saved Kira from another blush attack as the doctor walked in, "Okay, Rei Kashino, let's get a look at that leg of yours." First he looked up at the beeping monitors above Rei's bed, and then at Rei's face, "Hmm, I didn't know the grand prize winner of the Suzuka 8-hour wore pink lip balm..." Rei grinned in embarrassment and wiped his lips with the back of his right hand. The doctor smiled and lifted the bottom of the blanket. Rei blinked at the thing that lay where his leg was supposed to be.

His leg was in a splint, barely recognizable in the gauze that had turned red, almost black in one spot below his knee. The doctor said, "We're gonna have to get someone to change those." He glanced at Rei's wide eyes, "Oh, and don't worry. It may look bad, but that's only because you've got a big gash in the front. The bone there is shattered, but we should be able to fix it, almost as good as new. At least, good enough to ride again, if you're still looking into it." Rei sighed in relief, "Oh, good. I love to ride, it would suck if I ended up like Akitaka." "Ah, yes, Akitaka. I remember him, he's the one who got in that accident a few years back and had to have his leg removed. I had to help with the prosthetic surgery, tricky work, but we managed. Yeah, but you don't have to worry about anything like that. I'd say you'll only be in here for another two, maybe three weeks before we send you home on crutches."

Kira asked, "What about his arm?" Rei glanced down to his left arm, "Oh, I didn't even notice that." The doctor nodded, "You're still on some painkillers, so I don't think you should feel it. Anyway, your arm wasn't injered to bad. Just a small fracture, that should get better in a week, more or less. So you shouldn't have a problem using the crutches." He flicked the plastic bag hanging from a pole, a tube going from it to a needle in Rei's arm, and a clear liquid sloshing inside. "So, ah, how'd this exactly happen to you? Really, most of us doctors are kept in the dark about why, we just work." The he assured, "You don't have to tell me though. I'm not really supposed to be asking. Just out of curiosity, you know?"

Rei smirked, "Ah, just a grudge. My rival racer tried to kill me last year in a smaller race, and he tried again this year, but he should know better. Rei Kashino dies hard." The doctor laughed, "That's right! Anyway, how did this all happen? And what happened to your rival?" Rei sighed, "I beat him almost every time in some smaller races. And this is his first Suzuka qualification, but this is my third. Almost every race we both participated in, he's been getting rougher with each one. And now that he's gotten me into a hospital bed again, there's no stopping my dad from pressing charges against him. He's taking care of all of it, he's been bugging me to sue him since last year anyway." The doctor shook his head and chuckled, "Wait, wait, so how old are you?" "Twenty." "And how old is your rival?" "Uh, I dunno, twenty-seven I think." The doctor raised an eyebrow, "Did he start all of this?" "Yeah. I don't normally have a problem with any of the other racers unless they piss me off." The doctor chuckled again, "Well, your rival is just acting like a child. I think your father is right in sueing him, it'll make him grow up a little." Rei shrugged, "I dunno. I don't really care what happens to him. I just wanna get out of here soon so me and Kira can, um, celebrate my winning the race." He smirked knowingly at Kira who blushed a bright red color.

The doctor laughed, "Ah yes, then don't worry, I'll take good care of you and make sure you get out of here fast. So, I'll just leave you two lovebirds alone now, have a nice day!" When the door shut, Rei sighed, "Oh man, I'm tired." Kira said, "Then get some sleep. There's not much else to do here." Rei looked around the room. The curtains around the windows were wide open. There was a chair next to his bed and a small table next to the chair. A small canvas was facing the opposite direction and brushes and paint tubes were scattered around the small table. On top of the chair was a racing magazine with an old picture of Rei from a racing photoshoot, a small picture in the corner, and the headline:

CRASH AT SUZUKA 8-HOUR
1ST PLACE KASHINO AND SECOND PLACE TAKUHAI INJURED
WAS IT A SABOTAGE?

Rei said, "Gimmie that magazine." Kira took it and handed it to him, "It has some pictures of what happened. You looked pretty bad." Rei glanced at the corner picture. "Oh man, the worksmachine got totaled." "Yeah, it crashed pretty badly. It was a good thing you weren't still on it." Rei flipped open the magazine to the article and blinked, "Uh, wow." There was a full page picture of Rei on the stretcher. His hair was a matted mess covered in sweat, blood, and dirt. An oxygen mask covered his nose and bloody mouth. His neck was wrapped up in a cast and his left arm and leg had the racing uniform sliced open and bloody. Rei's face was pale and his head lolled to the side. Rei slowly sucked in a breath, "I guess you weren't kidding when you said I looked bad." Then he saw on the slightly blurred corner of the picture a familiar face. It was Kira, and she had terrified tears streaming down her face. She was holding Rei's hand as the paramedics lifted him into the ambulance. Rei took Kira's hand, "I'm sorry, baby. I worry you too much." Kira smiled and shook her head, "As long as you're okay, I will be too."

Rei smiled, "I love you, Kira. I love how you always put up with my shit and still stay with me." Kira kissed him lightly, "I love you too. I'll be by your side forever."


InvincibleInuYasha: Okay, sorry haven't written in so long! First it was because I had writer's block. Then I was traveling, then I kinda took a break (sorry!), and then I was just too busy. So I'm gonna try to make up for it sooner or later. During my 'break', I kinda did something that makes my parents take the computer away from me for a while so every chance I get to write, I will try! Okay, I also wanted to ask, does anybdy know what Mitsuru would be charged with for his crime? I'm not very into the legal system, but I have some ideas for the trial. If I don't know that then I guess I'll just skip the court scene, but I thought it would be interesting to include it. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the chapter, keep checking every once in a while to see if there's anything new posted, thanks! ^o^ And Rock on! lmao