MARS Fan Fiction ❯ Sweet Darkness ❯ One Dark Night... ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Sweet Darkness" by Jezunya

Standard Disclaimers apply, of course: I have no claim to Kira, Rei, or anything else in MARS. :P

Okay, well, I spent the day editing and mapping out how this story's gonna go, so here I am, ready to post. ^_^ Keep in mind, this is AU, and enjoy!

** ** ** ** **

It was dark. Very dark. That was about all she could tell as she tried to find her way along the street. Harumi knew these streets well enough, but with her taller, longer stride, she'd gotten ahead, leaving Kira behind to find her own way.

She shivered and reached a hand out to guide herself, not sure if she should really be glad when it came in contact with a cold, stone wall of one of the buildings lining the street. At least it doesn't seem slimy or anything, Kira thought, trying to look on the bright side of things as she edged forward.

Finally, she rounded a corner and saw light shining from around the next building at the end of the street. She hurried towards it, but then slowed, her brows knitting as the sound of voices drifted around the corner.

"C'mon, Haru… What's the matter?" The voice was low, definitely male, and sounded like it was mocking her.

Harumi sounded frightened and shocked when she spoke. "You.. You.. How..?" Kira edged forward, peeking around the corner to see her friend slowly backing away from a tall boy about their age, practically shaking with fear.

The boy pushed off the light post he'd been leaning against and slowly began making his way forward, like a predator stalking its prey. "What's the matter?" he asked again, smirking as he moved closer. "Aren't you glad to see me?"

"But you… you're..!"

"Dead?" He grinned, his eyes glittering cruelly. "You'd be surprised…"

Harumi stumbled back, tripping and falling onto her rear. She was quaking with fear as he slowly advanced on her. "Rei…"

With one last low chuckle, he swooped down on her, grabbing her roughly by the shoulders and tilting her head to the side. He grinned savagely, showing his lengthening fangs, before sinking them deep into the soft flesh of Harumi's neck.

Kira stood frozen in terror and shock, watching as her friend slowly stopped struggling, and then went completely limp. It wasn't until the boy drew away from her and threw his head back, laughing gleefully to the heavens, that she was able to force herself to turn and run back the way she had come.

Rei stopped laughing when he heard the sound of running feet, growing more distant with each step. He narrowed his eyes, scanning the shadows along the street, breathing deeply.

Ah, there.. He could smell it. Human terror. He grinned to himself as he turned back to the limp girl in his arms. Almost as fun as draining humans, was scaring them to death. Ah, life was good.

Or rather, death was good.

He chuckled to himself and returned to his dinner.

** ** ** ** **

Waha! I just killed a main character, in like the very first chapter! ^__^ Don't worry people, I don't hate Harumi or anything (actually, she's like my favorite character, besides Rei ^^), but she needed to die. It's a plot device, I swear! ^_^

Erm, not much in the way of notes, except maybe that for the vampires, I'll be using Buffy-lore and more traditional stuff, plus of course some of my own inventions. ^_^ So I don't want anybody coming and preaching to me about how vampires are 'really' supposed to be. ~_~;

Anyway, review please! ^_^