MARS Fan Fiction ❯ That's All I've Got to Say ❯ That's All I've Got to Say ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

That's All I've got to Say…

By: Oriana X. Myst

Type: Songfic

Name of song: "That's All I've got to Say" by America (from `The Last Unicorn' cd).

Rated: PG

Pairings: Kira/Rei, Tatsuya/Harumi

Note: This fic takes place after high school and towards the end of college. The original song on the soundtrack has the female (Amalthea) part towards the end of the male's (Leer) song but I've omitted it for this fic.

~I've had time to write a book about, the way you act and look…but I haven't got a paragraph.~

How do I ask her? How should I say it? Rei thought as he paced his apartment living room for the umpteenth time, a small silver box clenched in his hand like a lifeline. How was he going to do this? He had no idea how one went about doing these things. Did he just spit it out? Did he take her somewhere and do it privately? His life had prepared him for many things, but not this…not…a proposal.

~Words are always getting in my way…anyway, I love you. That's all I have to tell you, that's all I have to say.~

Tatsuya walked in the apartment at that moment and stood for a second watching his friend pace. He cleared his throat but to no avail. Rei was lost to his own musings. He stepped right in front of him and blocked his way.

Rei finally stopped and blinked at him. His eyes widened and he threw up his hands in frustration, the box flying up into the air and coming down amidst his fumbling hands. "Phew," he breathed, clutching the package to his chest.

"Are you still trying to figure out how to propose to Kira?"

Rei nodded. "Yup."

Tatsuya gave an exasperated sigh. "Jeez. I left this morning for class and you were pacing, I come back four hours later, you're still pacing. I'm surprised you haven't worn a hole in the floor." He looked closely at the floor after he said this just to make sure he hadn't. "Didn't you have class?"

Rei nodded again. "Canceled," was all he said.

Tatsuya raised his eyebrow. "You know, it shouldn't be this hard, man. I mean, mind you, I'm not proposing to Harumi until after we graduate, but I already know what I'm going to do when I go to ask her."

Rei rushed up and grabbed his collar with his free hand. "How are you going to do it?!" he asked menacingly, the wheels in his head turning rapidly with each breath.

Pulling his hand away, Tetsuya grinned and shook his head. "Uhuh, I'm not telling you. What, so you can steal my idea? Hell no. It's not as special if you don't come up with it yourself."

"But… I don't know what to do. I've been thinking about it all day. I want it to be something that she'll love, something new and different…

~And now, I'd like to make a speech about, the love that touches each, but stumbling I would make you laugh.~

"I've thought about taking her to a nice restaurant…"

"Well tha-"

"Too plain," he interrupted. "Then I thought about the gardens in the museum…"

"Wow, tha-"

"Not private enough," he cut in again. "And even a walk down the beach at night…"

"Hey…"

"Maybe bring a picnic…"

"Hey!"

"And some wine or champag-"

"HEY!"

Rei looked at Tatsuya and lifted his hand in a questioning gesture. "What?"

His friend blushed. "Well, that's what I was gonna do with Harumi."

Rei blinked and then grinned evilly. "Reeeaaallly? Well, maybe I'll do that with Kira then and since I'm going first, it'll be sweeter."

Tatsuya's face was hysterical. He looked like a fish out of water the way his mouth opened and closed. His face reddened. "Dammit, Rei! Don't you dare! I was planning to do that with Harumi since way before you thought to even ask Kira!"

Putting a hand on Tatsuya's shoulder, he smiled. "Calm down. I was kidding."

Angry sputtering was all that Tatsuya could muster. "Fucker."

Rei laughed and realized that he'd really been stressing the whole issue. He'd bought the ring the day before and had been worrying over how to pop the question. He realized also that if he forced himself to come up with something, it might mess things up.

~I feel as though my tongue were made of clay…anyway, I love you. That's all I have to tell you.~

He figured he might as well be patient as there was no rush to ask her. They had been together for years and would be together for the rest of their lives if he had anything to say about it. A large smile spread across his face as it finally him.

Tatsuya backed away from him a bit worried that his friend had flipped out.

"Finally!" Rei suddenly shouted.

The other man jumped into the air a few inches. "Ah! Don't do that!"

Rei grinned at him like an idiot. "I finally came up with where I'm going to ask her." His face took on a worried appearance.

"What?"

"How do I ask her? I mean, what do I say exactly? Do I just, ask her plain like `would you marry me, Kira?' or do I ask her perhaps in song? I can't sing very well…"

~I'm not a man of poetry. Music, isn't one with me…it runs from me. It runs from me.~

Tatsuya groaned.

* * *

When he had settled just about everything in his mind, he called up Kira to have dinner. He was very antsy during the meal and when Kira asked what was wrong, he lied and said he had to study for tests the following Monday.

Kira, nor anyone else, found this strange anymore. Ever since the beginning of college, Rei had been studying more and more, and his grades were improving rapidly. He wanted to make something of himself and although he was going to keep racing, he was studying to be an architect. It would give him enough time to race and still bring enough money to support a family.

After dinner, he told her that the next day he would pick her up at eight and asked her to dress casual.

She, figuring that they were going out riding or to a park, etc., just smiled and kissed him goodbye.

He rode back to the dormitories and flopped down into bed. Reaching over to his night table, he pulled out the small box and opened it. The small silver band, which was topped with two small Diamonds on each side of a medium sized Ruby, was just perfect for her petite hand. He hadn't had enough to get her the gold right with the big diamond in the center, but this one was very pretty too and now thinking about it, he thought that she might have picked this one herself if it was up to her. He still hoped she'd like this one.

He hoped she'd like everything and really really hoped that she'd say yes. He didn't want to mess anything up so he went through everything again in his mind.

~And I tried to write a symphony, but I lost the melody, alas I only finished half.~

The next night, Rei rushed over to pick Kira up. He almost got into an accident so slowed down a bit. He wanted to get there alive and the thought of hurting Kira that much was giving him a pain in his heart.

~And finish I suppose I never may…~

He rang the doorbell and when she opened the door he couldn't help but stare at her in joy. She was wearing a light yellow sleeveless shirt with a pair of blue jeans and light yellow tennis shoes. She looked absolutely gorgeous to him.

Tonight's the night. Tonight I'm gonna ask her… to be my wife. Everything is going to go as planned. Everything's got to go as planned.

They hopped onto the bike and rode off into the night.

Kira was a bit shocked to see that they were not going to any restaurant or even to the museum garden (they had a friend who was a security guard and he used to sneak them in at night to see the statues by moonlight). They pulled up next to a large lake a bit into the countryside. It wasn't so much the lake that astonished her but the fact that floating in the center of the lake was a huge wooden raft that had a table and two chairs and a single candle in the center.

In front of them at the edge of the lake, in a small rowboat were Harumi and Tatsuya, who were dressed like waiters. Tatsuya had a violin next to him in the boat and when they saw Kira and Rei, broke out into grins.

Kira stared at Rei and almost burst into tears. She hugged him tight and placed a kiss on his lips.

Harumi giggled and Tatsuya chuckled then cleared his throat. "Welcome madam, monsieur," he said, using two of the only three French words he knew (the other being oui).

They climbed in the boat and Tatsuya began to row toward the floating dinner table.

"Mush, mush," chanted Harumi softly to each stroke.

Tatsuya made a face but continued rowing.

They bumped up against the raft and Rei helped Kira and then Harumi out. He extended his hand to Tatsuya but he pushed it away and almost fell in the water because of it.

"Ha! Should've let me help you," Rei teased.

The other man stuck out his tongue and then fixed his collar before sliding over to where Harumi was already pulling out a chair for Kira.

They were wooden chairs and the table was covered in a dark green tablecloth with embroidered flowers on it. On top of the table were two plates with covers to keep the food warm. There was not only a lit candle in the center, there was also a small vase with a variety of colorful flowers.

Kira leaned in to smell them and smiled. She beamed at Rei who had just sat down.

Tatsuya began to play and Kira was amazed to find that he was actually pretty good. Harumi bent down and explained that he had been taking lessons for a few years because she had gotten him hooked on classical music and he liked the way the violins sounded.

They ate their meal while Tatsuya played and after he got tired they all took off their shoes and socks and sat at the edges of the raft to dunk their feet in the water.

A few hours passed and it was almost midnight when Harumi feigned sleepiness and grabbed Tatsuya's arm, pulling him to the boat. Rei and Kira got in with them to drop them off at the shore.

They winked at Rei and gave him thumbs up before going to their car.

As he paddled, Rei looked at Kira. "You know," he began and waited until she looked at him.

"Yes?"

He scratched the back of his head and blushed. Putting down the paddles and letting them drift a bit, he pulled her into his arms and had her lay across the seats to stare at the stars. "We've been through so much in our lives you and I. And we've been through so much together, too. I'm sometimes… amazed that you're even still with me."

She whapped him lightly on the arm and gave him a kiss on the same spot. "How could I not be with you?"

Rei shook his head. "No, I was just saying. I'm not questioning it. I've learned to take things as they come." He squeezed her a bit. "And it's all thanks to you. I love you so much Kira. You've changed my view on things, made me realize that life is worth living even if you only have one thing to live for…"

Kira smiled. "I love you too, Rei."

He took a deep breath and reached a hand into his pocket to get the box with the ring. "And that one thing is you."

~Anyway, I love you.~

The moonlight shone on the silver box making sparkles appear on Kira's shirt. She turned and squinted at the box then looked up into his eyes, a puzzled look on her face. "Rei?"

He let go of her and took another deep breath before opening the box. The same light fell on the ring, making it shine like the stars.

Kira gasped and put a hand over her heart. She looked at Rei again and tears slowly began to fall.

"Kira…" He paused trying to find his voice again.

~That's all I have to tell you. That's all I've got to say.~

"Will you marry me?"

~That's all I've got to say.~

Kira could hardly breath. She looked from the ring that he was now holding out to her, to his expectant face and the tears made everything blurry. She stretched out her shaking hand to let him slip the ring on her finger and breathed, "Yes."

~That's all I've got to say.~

He crushed her to him and began to cry in joy. They sat there sobbing in each other's arms for what seemed like forever and when they finally pulled away, laughed at their tear stained faces.

He wiped his thumb across her cheek and then across her lips and stared deep into her eyes. "I want you to know that I'll love you forever, Kira. I'll always protect you and I'll always be here for you. I'll never hurt you intentionally and if and when we have kids, I'll love them just as much and I'll always take care of you all and never leave you and I'll never hurt the kids or you and…and…" he sputtered in a rush, not noticing that he had repeated himself over and over.

She placed a finger over his lips and smiled again. "I know, Rei. I trust you with all my heart; my soul; my life. I love you."

"I love you so much," he murmured against her lips before he kissed her passionately.

~That's all I've got to say.~

~*Fin*~