Marvel Avengers Fan Fiction ❯ Clarity ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

He sat there in the silence of his lab, the only sound he heard was the occasional whirrs of his two robot assistants, Dumm-E and U. The two said robots were off at the other end of the lab, doing whatever he had ordered them to do to get them out of his way for a while. But for some reason, Tony couldn’t focus on his work.

“Well, that’s just perfect,” Tony Stark muttered. This was just the perfect time to hit a creative block. Ever since the mess with his father figure and former business partner, Obadiah Stane happened, there had been a strange irksome feeling lingering in his heart. And of course, this stupid piece of shrapnel that’s been lodged in his chest and despite the electromagnetic device being implanted and the ark reactor core powering the said device, Tony Stark still feared the small metal fragment piercing his heart. But he couldn't let anyone see this fear

Despite all that, the billionaire refused all offers from all the best doctors in the world to surgically remove the shrapnel. It wasn't because he couldn't afford it, it was because of the fear of something going wrong during the operation. That was something he couldn't and won't ever admit to anyone, let alone himself.

Sitting there, Tony hated these moments. The rare moments where he couldn't focus on his work and was left with nothing but his thoughts. He always hated them. There was something missing inside of him. At least it felt like it to him. But he couldn't figure out what it was.

Up until A few months ago, he was on top of the world, living life to the fullest and without any fears. No worries, no sitting in this silent dark lab and being left alone with his darker more somber thoughts.

"Mr. Stark?" Came an English sounding voice after an hour or so of complete silence. The voice sounded off from all around the room. It took a second time of the voice calling his name to get his attention, for the billionaire to be snapped out of his brooding thoughts.

"Is there anything wrong, Sir?" The voice asked.

Tony glanced at the holo-display before him. Designs for an armor upgrade was on display, but Tony just wasn't feeling it tonight.

"Sir?" The voice started, as the inventor got up from his stool.

"Jarvis, I'm going out so watch the house for me while I'm gone." Tony ordered as he started making his way to the lab entrance.

"Can I expect you to bring back a female guest, Mr. Stark?"

Tony stopped for a second, wracking his brain for the right answer. Normally he would say yes but only because it was the expected answer. But it didn't come to him. The man just shrugged.

"Honestly I don't know. Maybe. We'll see." Tony finally said but as he took another step, his AI spoke again.

"Sir, what about the project Miss Potts requested?" The AI asked indignantly.

Tony stopped again but shrugged.

"Tell Pepper I'll get right on it... Tomorrow when I get back," the man replied, "for now I'm on break."

"Very well, Sir." Jarvis added, "Good night, Mr. Stark."

"Night, buddy."

With that said, Tony powered down all the displays, letting Jarvis power down for the night. He then walked upstairs to prepare for the night ahead.