MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Trouble With Insolent Nekos ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blues felt himself get pulled into a security program as he fell through the system. He landed on a smooth hard surface and had the air knocked out of him. He lay there for a few seconds trying to register what had just happened. First he was trying to disable the security system so he and Netto-san could leave. Then Netto tripped an alarm, after that he tried to disable the trap then……

Blues sighed inwardly, Netto must have tripped the alarm. So now he was in an internet trap and Netto was currently in Enzan-sama's basement. This was certainly turning out to be a wonderful day.

`At least Enzan-sama isn't at his office on the verge of collapsing.' Said a small voice in the back of his head.

`And you got to spend the whole morning with Rockman too.' Added a louder, pushier voice. Blues tried to ignore the second voice but found he was having a hard time. How could he care for anyone besides Enzan-sama? He was a navi, built with programs, data and files. His programming didn't have any more emotions then necessary. In fact, it had taken eight years with Enzan just to start caring for him as much as he did. Really, most of his attachment started out of pity, Blues felt that Enzan was one of the smartest and quick witted boys he had ever known. Yet his father did his intelligence no justice. Only using his son to make sure his empire lasted when he died, giving the boy no true fatherly feelings.

Blues wondered vaguely when he started to think of himself as Enzan's father figure. He certainly never felt himself so bold even seven or eight months ago. But now, he realized that he truly thought of himself as Enzan's guardian, and why not? He had been taking care of him since his mother died, the man who called himself his father certainly never did anything to prove his honored title. But, again, when did he think of himself of being such an important being in Enzan's life? Before he just saw himself as a program created to serve and protect the CEO and Vice-President of IPC. So, when did he start to think of himself as a conscious being?

Could it be when he met Rockman?

Blues shook his head. Long dormant and never used emotions stirred deep down when he thought about the cheerful green eyed navi. Who in truth was part human, which may have been able to explain why the green eyed navi had so many emotions. Being able to speak his mind, talk freely with his operator, and in general he possessed a freedom that Blues was envious of the day he met him.

Envy, this was an interesting thought.

Blues liked to take hold of his thoughts and analyze them, but for some reason, this time it was uncomfortable. He treated himself as a program, because that's what he was programmed to do. But, Rockman didn't treat him as a program. He never had, he always talked to Blues as he talked to Roll or Netto or Enzan. Maybe that was Blues' first realization to his own thoughts and feelings.

He had never before been treated like a true equal. Yes, Enzan did look up to him in some ways, but he was still looked down on. By Enzan, by Enzan's father and he was ignored by anyone else who worked with Enzan or he Netbattled with. Rockman's, and Netto's for that matter, introduction to his life had opened new doors and possibilities just by being treated like any other person, human or navi. The twin's ability to not be able to see who was human and who was navi, baffled Blues at first. It was so simple, one was alive and the other was data. Yet, the two laughed and joked and existed as though there was no barrier, the only time they were navi and operator was when they Netbattled.

Going back to the first thought, when did he start realizing he had his own conscious and feelings?

Of course it was his introduction to Rockman that sparked something. But was it the small navi that awoke his feelings?

Blues came out of his dream world and looked around for the first time at his surroundings. He was in an energy cage completely and utterly trapped. Normally Blues would have found this humiliating but for some reason it didn't bother him. In fact he only felt a minor annoyance towards the one who had gotten him there in the first place.

Blues resisted the urge to go over and ram his head into the energy “wall.” He had been sitting there for the past ten minutes thinking about his humanity when he completely forgot about Netto. Who knows what kind of trouble he had gotten into be that time?

Blues sighed and opened screens inside his little dome and looked for where Netto might be. When he finally found Netto he was lying on the basement floor, seemingly unconscious. Blues on his part was handling his newly analyzed emotions very well, he found that he was half grateful and half worried. At least he wasn't in any immediate trouble.

/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/

“Netto-san , Netto-san, are you all right?”

A quiet, firm voice reached Netto's ears, pulling him out of his temporary nap.

“Netto-san?”

Netto ears flicked to pinpoint the source of the sound. At first he thought it was Enzan but the voice was too deep to be his. Netto's head was pounding and he decided not to think about it too hard. Maybe he could figure out where he was first.

He remembered Enzan getting sick, then he remembered getting lost, then the trap then……

Netto groaned.

“Netto-san, are you okay?” Blues asked again

Netto put his hands under his body and pushed up shakily sitting up. He rubbed his throbbing head and looked around for where to voice was coming from.

Blues opened the video link in the small computer he was in to allow Netto to see him. “Over here.” He said

“Blues!” Netto was surprised to see the red navi in the trap.

Blues nodded and Netto blushed. What he said sounded dumb three seconds after he had said it, of course it was Blues. Who else led him around the house trying to get out of Enzan's death house?

“Are you okay?” Blues asked a third time.

Netto's brain finally registered the question and he nodded. “Yeah, I'm fine. Is there any way out of here?”

Blues shook his head. “We're going to have to wait for Enzan-sama and Rockman to find us.”

“How long will that take.” Asked Netto warily.

“Most likely a few hours.”

“Yippie.” Said Netto as sarcastically as he could.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/
 
“Enzan-san, I think Netto might be in trouble.” Said Rockman. Enzan had finally woken up some time before and now they were speculating on just where the hell Netto and Blues might be.
 
“What gives you that idea?” asked Enzan
 
“Well, Netto-kun always seems to get into trouble when someone isn't watching him, and he hasn't tried to contact me for awhile. In fact, I can sense him but for some reason when I call out to him he isn't responding.” Said Rockman, his worry starting to grow.
 
Enzan, whose head was finally starting to feel clear again, mused on what could possibly be blocking their contact. Hid house had some very powerful electromagnetic fields, but those were only activated when there was someone in a trap. In that case Blues would help, or at least tell Enzan something had happened.
 
But what if Blues had tried to help? What if, Netto had actually managed to get him and Blues trapped? Enzan sighed, he knew his navi knew the computer system upside down but Netto, he could certainly do something like that. Intentionally or no, it was the most likely scenario. Now, where would they be?
 
“Enzan-san?” Rockman had sat there for the last three minutes watching Enzan deep in thought. Maybe he had come up with something.
 
Enzan sighed. “Well, they probably fell into one of my traps. There are strong magnetic fields that are produced when a navi gets trapped to make sure their data stays inside my system, that way no one can escape. Chances are Netto triggered something and Blues was caught by surprise.”
 
“Do you really think that could happen?” Rockman asked
 
“Only one way to find out.” Said Enzan. He got out of bed with a groan, and set his wobbly legs on the floor; he counted to three and braced his legs willing them to carry his boy weight. Enzan swayed but stayed firm and didn't fall back on the bed.
 
“Enzan-san! Blues will kill me if he finds out I let you get out of bed.” Said Rockman; starting to get worried all over again.
 
Enzan walked towards the door. “Rockman, I'm really sorry to say this, but you're a navi, and you really can't do anything about it. Netto may listen to you, Netto may have to listen to you, but I don't, this is my house and if my navi and friend are in trouble then I'm going to help them.”
 
Enzan's `speech' struck Rockman hard, he never even realized that he really did have little say about what happened in the real world. His only connection was Netto and their link, but as for what other people actually did?
 
Enzan noticed he had hit the little blue navi pretty hard. He sighed and picked up Rockman's PET. “Listen, I didn't mean that in a cruel or bad way, I just meant that…”
 
“I can't tell you what to do.” Finished Rockman. “Isn't that right?”
 
“Well, that's a pretty blunt way to put it, but yes.” Enzan started to walk down the hall outside of his bed room, towards the main control unit of his house.
 
“You're saying I'm blunt?” asked Rockman with a hint of laughter. “This is coming from the guy who just five seconds ago told me in no less simple terms that you would refuse to listen to me because you could.”
 
Enzan looked to the side. “Well, yes, but you see…”
 
Rockman laughed. “I know, I know, I've seen you and Blues battle countless times. You give the orders and he takes them, no strings attached. That's how you two work.”
 
It was Enzan's turn to give a little smirk. “Can you deny that you and Netto give each other instructions mentally so as to not alert the other side to what you are planning to do?”
 
Rockman crossed his arms. “We only do that against bad guys. There's no point to do it against other people, if we did that then people would get suspicious.” Said Rockman
 
“Well, I'm sorry you took that personally, Rockman.” Said Enzan
 
Rockman bristled. “Who said I was offended?”
 
Enzan had never seen Rockman so much like Netto until that moment. It was certainly interesting, talking to his rival's navi one on one like that. He certainly had more personality than any navi he had ever seen, including Blues. Why was it so important to Netto and Rockman to be considered friends?
 
Rockman seemed to read Enzan's mind. “Netto-kun and I talk like this a lot. Though normally we tend to argue a bit more.”
 
“Like brothers?” asked Enzan.
 
“No, more like friends.” Said Rockman
 
Enzan looked down to look at the tiled floor. “Oh.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto was leaning up against the musty wall with his eyes closed. His headache was finally starting to go away, but now he was starting to get bored. Even Netto knew that getting bored while in a basement with no way out and no way of knowing when he would be rescued was bad but he couldn't help it, it was bad enough he was with Mr. Happy.
 
“Netto-san, are you sure you did not damage anything in your fall?” asked Blues.
 
Netto sighed. “Yes, I'm positive. Are you sure there is no way out of here?” he asked. Blues shook his head; Netto in turn gave another sigh. “There has to be something I can do. I hate being helpless!” he said finally, clenching his fist.
 
Blues nodded. “I know how that feels; I am quite helpless when it comes to helping Enzan-sama.”
 
Netto looked up into the computer. “What do you mean?”
 
“What you did today, Netto-san, is something that no one but Enzan-sama's father would have been able to do.” Blues paused then added. “Only, Enzan-sama's father does not care enough to think about his son's health.”
 
Netto's eyes widened, he had never heard Blues talk like that. “Do you mean how I pulled him into bed and made him stay home?” asked Netto.
 
Blues nodded. “I can't tell Enzan-sama what he should or shouldn't do, I am his navi. I am a program comprised of data and AI software. Why should he listen to me?”
 
“That's wrong.” Said Netto
 
Blues looked at Netto and saw he was dead serious. “What do you mean, Netto-san?”
 
“First of all, Enzan cares about you more than anyone in the world, it's really obvious. Second of all, I refuse to think Enzan still thinks like that, he's a lot different from when I first met him, and lastly you're exactly what you said. An AI program has the ability to take on human emotions and learn from what it is shown and told. Hell, look at Forte! The only reason he's like that is because he was almost offed by his creator. So, in a need for vengeance, what he was taught was that humans are bad, then he kinda went psycho and twisted it his own way. But! Point being, you are more human than you think Blues, and Rockman will be the first to tell you that.” Netto made little gestures and motions throughout his little speech making Blues smile a bit. It was amazing how similar Netto and Rockman were when it came down to basic ideas and thoughts.
 
“I can see where you make a strong point Netto-san but…”
 
Netto cut him off. “Don't debate please, I can't debate well, argue yes but as far as making a point and sounding smart, ask Rockman.”
 
Blues smiled. “I'll take that into consideration next time.”
 
Netto blinked. “Did you just smile?” he asked, a little freaked out. Netto couldn't recall one time in his life that he had seen Blues smile.
 
Blues nodded. “Yes. I, as other navi's have the ability to smile.”
 
Netto blushed. “I didn't mean it that way.”
 
“I know, but I just find it interesting how amazingly like Rockman you are.” He said
 
“I'm like Rockman? Ha! That's funny, we may be twins, but Rockman and I don't have much in common.” Said Netto
 
`I wouldn't be too sure about that.' Blues thought. “Yes, Netto-san.”
 
Netto made a face. “Don't talk like that, it's annoying.”
 
“Yes, Netto-kun.”
 
Netto giggled. “Well, whatever.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Enzan finally found the main computer and typed in the pass code as Rockman took a look around to see where Netto and Blues might possibly have ended up. It was clear they were in the basement, but which basement, well, that was a problem. Rockman finally managed to pinpoint a general location from Blues data signal and narrowed it down to a 50 cubic meter area. Big, but smaller then what they had to work with before. Much smaller.
 
“Well, let's go find you wayward brother and my navi.” Said Enzan. He picked up Rockman's PET and walked to the elevator to take them downstairs. Rockman was unusually quiet, which surprised Enzan as he was used to the navi's chatter. “Is anything wrong?” Enzan asked.
 
Rockman shifted in his PET. “Ummmm… well, Enzan-san, can you not call me and Netto-kun `brothers'?”
 
Enzan looked surprised. “Why not?”
 
“Well… the reason I didn't tell Netto who I was until last year was because I liked being treated as his friend. I like being seen as a normal navi, as I'm sure Netto likes being seen as a normal human.” Enzan swallowed the urge to cough. “We are friends first, then brothers. Besides, if any of our enemies found out, it might get dangerous for us.”
 
Enzan nodded. “I can see that. Well, I'm sorry; I didn't mean to offend you.”
 
“No!” Rockman said loudly. “You didn't! I'm just saying that we're more comfortable being seen as friends.”
 
“And when you are alone?” asked Enzan, intrigued.
 
“Netto only calls me nii-san when he is either very scarred, stressed or he feels like being emotional. I bet you can guess how often THAT happens.”
 
Enzan nodded. “I'm sure.”
 
“So, we know that we are brothers, and we're more then perfectly fine with it. But we both have our own lives, and they're very different. Plus, I like being my brothers best friend, it's not something you hear very often!”
 
“No, I guess not.” Said Enzan softly.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Blues looked at Netto as he paced to room. “Netto-kun, you're going to wear yourself out.” He pointed out after ten minutes.
 
“I can't help it. I don't like being in here.” Said Netto
 
“Well, I don't either, but aren't you a little tired?”
 
“No. I'm wondering why Rockman hasn't come yet.”
 
“Netto-kun. Forgive me, but can't you just `call' Rockman?” Blues asked
 
Netto blinked. “What, you mean psychically?” Blues nodded. “Can't.”
 
“Why not?”
 
“Because, there is WAY too much electrical stuff going on in this house. The way our link was explained to me, Rockman and I talk via electrical impulses, your house has so much current running through it, and Rockman and I are so far apart that it's technically impossible to hear each other.”
 
Blues blinked, even though Netto couldn't see it. “So, magnetic fields?”
 
“Huh?”
 
“You and Rockman, when you talk however you do, that means that you're both susceptible to magnetic fields.”
 
Netto blinked. “I… don't know. I never really though about it.”
 
“Have you tried contacting Rockman lately?”
 
“Yeah, I tried a few minutes ago, I can't hear him.”
 
/I wonder about that?/ said a voice in his head.
 
Netto blinked and grinned. /Nii-san!/ He thought loudly.
 
Blues was puzzled at Netto's random grin, but soon discovered the reason as the door whooshed open and Enzan came in, holding Netto's PET.
 
“Rockman!” Netto bounded towards Enzan snatching up his PET and talking with his navi excitedly.
 
“Yeah, glad to see you too.” Said Enzan as he walked over to Blues. “You okay?” he asked
 
Blues nodded. “Yes, Enzan-sama. Netto-kun and I just got caught about two hours ago.”
 
“Netto-kun?” Enzan raised an eyebrow.
 
An extremely fine red tinge appeared on his checked for a split second. “Well, he didn't like being called Netto-san, so…”
 
“Yeah, I understand.” Enzan nodded. “Let's go back upstairs, it's cold down here.”
 
“Yes, Enzan-sama.”
 
Enzan turned to leave to room but was glomped by the overenthusiastic Neko boy before he could tell Netto to go. “Thankyouthankyouthankyou…”
 
“For what?” Enzan fought the heavy blush that was coming onto his cheeks.
 
Netto looked up at Enzan, still hugging him. “Because you got us out. Now, let's get out of here, I'm hungry!”
 
Rockman laughed. “Yeup! I can tell, maybe you should try not to wander off like that next time.”
 
Netto ran out of the room. “Be quiet Rockman.” Their little argument faded as they went down the hall.
 
“Enzan-sama, are you all right?” asked Blues.
 
Enzan shook his head. “I'm fine. Perfectly, fine. Go make sure they don't get lost.”
 
“Yes, Enzan-sama.” Blues went through the link that Enzan had opened to greet Rockman in his PET.
 
Enzan stayed behind for a few minutes, pondering the strange feeling he got when he was being hugged by Netto. He finally wrote it off as being sick and followed his comrades.
 
“It was nothing.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto woke up and grinned. He had been waiting for this day for a long time, ever since he saw the pink hair dye in the store he had been planning the actions he would take. Who knows, maybe Enzan would be so happy he wouldn't will him. Maybe.
 
Netto pulled out the dye and snuck into Enzan's room. He would have to be very quiet to pull off what he was going to do next. His eyes glittered with malice; maybe being part cat wasn't so bad after all.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Two hours later Netto left Enzan's bed room and went to destroy the evidence. Then he sneaked down stairs to gather the things for the next part of his plan. As he stood on tiptoe trying to get at the big bowl on Enzan's shelf, Rockman linked into the computer in the kitchen.
 
“Netto-kun!” Rockman yelled.
 
Netto had just precautious balanced to big bowl on his finger tips and Rockman's yell made him jerk. The porcelain bowl plummeted to earth but Netto stooped quickly enough to catch it before it met with anything. He sighed before he turned to yell at Rockman. “What did you do that for!”
 
Rockman crossed his arms. “You know perfectly well what. You dyed Enzan's hair!”
 
Netto shrugged and hopped off the stool to place the bowl on the counter. “So, you've know what I was gonna do for months now. Don't start yelling at me this late in time.”
 
Rockman glared at Netto and Netto squatted on the floor to look at a cook book. “Netto-kun, Enzan is going to kill you.”
 
“So, my life had been threatened by much scarier people Rockman.” Said Netto still looking at the cook books.
 
“That's not the point! The point is…” Rockman finally took notice of what Netto was doing, “Uhhh, Netto-kun?” he asked
 
Netto finally found a cook book to his suiting and pulled it off the shelf. “Yeah?”
 
“Why are you planning now?” Rockman asked warily
 
Netto sighed. “I'm just making chocolate, today is Valentines you know.”
 
“So, you're trying to poison him?” asked Rockman, incredulously.
 
Netto almost fell over. “NO! I'm trying to do something nice. Now go away, I don't want you here to insult my cooking.”
 
Rockman tried again. “Netto-kun, you can't cook.” He said
 
Netto glared at Rockman. “Says who?”
 
“Says your own mother. Netto-kun, last time you tried baking something it blew up. Mama thought we were under a virus attack!”
 
Netto blushed. “Rockman, just be quiet. I'm gonna do this and nothing will blow up. Okay?” he looked at Rockman.
 
Rockman sighed. “All right… if you say so Netto-kun.”
 
Netto brightened up. “Besides! I'm not going to use the oven this time! I'm making fudge!”
 
Rockman facefaulted. “Right, I'm assured now.”
 
Netto laughed and tied on an apron. “You know, the hair code for pink is 10011101101 if you're interested.”
 
Rockman glared at Netto. “Like I'd stoop to your level.” He huffed and exited the computer.
 
“Whatever you say nii-san.” Laughed Netto
 
Netto followed the instructions as carefully as he possibly could, whether Rockman believed him or not he really did want it to turn out good. For his and Enzan's sake, because he painted a very thin line with dying Enzan's hair like that. He just hoped it was enough.