MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Trouble With Insolent Nekos ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Before Haruka and Yuuichiro left, Haruka gave Enzan and Netto both bone crushing hugs. Neither boy minded very much and Enzan was very touched that Haruka cared.
 
“Now, I'm going to be visiting you two on a weekly basis, keep safe until then okay?” she said.
 
Enzan and Netto nodded.
 
“I'm sure they'll be fine, ma'am,” said Blues.
 
“I'm counting on you, Blues-kun,” Haruka said, smiling at the red navi.
 
Blues nodded and smiled back.
 
Yuuichiro ruffled his son's hair. “You be good, I'll see you soon,” he said.
 
Netto nodded, “Bye, papa.”
 
“Bye Netto, and bye Enzan-kun, see you soon as well,” Yuuichiro said.
 
“Bye, Hikari Hakase,” Enzan said, giving him a polite bow.
 
“Please, call me Yuuichiro-san if anything at all.”
 
“Yes, Yuuichiro-san,” Enzan said, smiling.
 
“Bye you two!” Haruka waved at them from the car window, “Be careful and no getting into trouble.”
 
Enzan snorted after the car drove off. “Yeah, like that would ever happen.”
 
Netto glared at Enzan and tackled him as soon as they were inside, the start yet another one of their many pillow wars.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
A few days later, Rockman and Blues were in the internet talking. It was a nice change of pace from how they normally interacted, which was by battling. Rockman discovered that Blues was a very good conversation partner and an even better friend. Something he never really tried to find out before.
 
“So, what do you think about Netto-kun and Enzan-san?” asked Rockman.
 
“Think?” asked Blues.
 
“Well, yeah. I mean they seem to be very close lately,” said Rockman.
 
Blues shook his head, “Ah Rockman, you give me too much credit. Enzan-sama says very little to me. I just know that he seems to like your operator very much.”
 
“Seems to?” asked Rockman laughing.
 
“What?” asked Blues.
 
“Never mind,” said Rockman shaking his head. “Hey Blues, can you do me a favor?” he asked changing the subject.
 
“Well, I can try,” he said.
 
“Can you please try and get Enzan to let Netto go outside?” Rockman asked.
 
“Why doesn't Netto-kun ask?”
 
“He has. Enzan-san is convinced that Netto-kun is going to hurt himself,” said Rockman.
 
“Wouldn't he?” asked Blues.
 
Rockman shook his head, “You guys give Netto-kun too little credit. He just wants to go outside. He's already done it and really didn't get into too much trouble. Please Blues? He'll listen to you.”
 
Blues laughed hollowly, “Enzan-sama doesn't listen to a thing I say. He didn't even start thinking of me as a sentient being before we met you. I didn't think of myself as a sentient being before we met you.”
 
Rockman frowned, “Come on Blues, I know Enzan-san listens to you. Please? For my sanity?” he asked.
 
Blues smiled, “He's been complaining?”
 
“Every day,” said Rockman.
 
Blues nodded, “All right, for your sanity.”
 
Rockman laughed, “Thanks.”
 
There was silence. “Hey Blues?” Rockman asked.
 
“Yes Rockman?”
 
“What do you think of Netto-kun and Enzan-san's relationship?” Rockman asked.
 
“Relationship?”
 
“Oh come on, you're not that blind,” Rockman said.
 
Blues shook his head, “No, I'm not. Well, I think that they like each other very much.”
 
There was a longer pause this time.
 
“Hey Blues?” Rockman asked.
 
“Yes?”
 
“What do you think of our relationship?” asked Rockman.
 
Blues sighed. “I think we're friends.”
 
“Oh…” said Rockman, very disappointed.
 
“That like each other very much,” finished Blues.
 
Rockman brought his head back up, and he smiled. He boldly put his head on Blues' shoulder and relaxed into it when Blues didn't object. “Yeah, me too.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto walked out of the house and ran across town to the same park that he and Rockman went to before. “Yes!” he cheered.
 
“Calm down, Netto-kun,” said Rockman.
 
Netto laughed and continued to run into the forest, “Awww, you're a spoilsport Rockman.”
 
“And you're out by yourself. Netto-kun, if you get hurt then no one is here to help you,” he said.
 
Netto rolled his eyes. “Whatever,” he said and spotted a riverbank not to far ahead from where they were. He went over to it and lied down on the grassy embankment. He stretched out in the sun and placed his PET beside him to let Rockman see the scenery.
 
“Pretty,” he said.
 
Netto nodded, “Yeah, it is.”
 
Behind them there was a rustling of leaves and someone followed them out into the sunlight. “Hey,” said a voice.
 
Netto sat up to see Delilah and Buddy looking down on him. “Hey,” he said back.
 
Buddy gave him a sloppy kiss in response, making Netto giggle. He rubbed Buddy behind his floppy ears and Delilah took a seat next to Netto. “How are you?” she asked.
 
“I'm fine. How are you?” he asked.
 
She smiled, “Well, I can't complain. I must say it's a very nice day.”
 
Netto nodded and fell onto his back, “Yeah, I'm glad I don't have a mission today,” he said.
 
Delilah raised an eyebrow. “Mission?” she asked.
 
Netto nodded, “Yeup, a mission. Rockman and I are Net Police!” he said proudly.
 
Delilah put a hand to her chest in fake shock. “My goodness! Two kids like you doing such dangerous work? I swear I'll never get used to this country.”
 
“I'm not a kid,” Netto muttered.
 
“Ah yes. What do you do Delilah-san?” Rockman asked to save his little brother from saying something he would regret.
 
“I am a government agent from America that is looking for a top secret virus,” she winked.
 
Netto laughed, “No really, what do you do?” he asked.
 
“I'm an English school teacher for the local High School. I've been teaching here for about a year,” she said.
 
“Wow, that's cool. Do you like it here?” he asked.
 
Delilah nodded, “I like it here very much, but I do miss my home country very much.”
 
“How long do you plan on spending is Japan?” asked Rockman.
 
“Oh no more then a few years. I miss my family and friends, I want to see them again,” she said.
 
Netto nodded, “Yeah, I can relate.”
 
Delilah raised her eyebrow again, “Oh, how so?” she asked.
 
Netto realized his mistake, “Well, I ummm. Well, truth be told I actually am on a mission and I haven't seen any of my friends for awhile now. I'm just having a break today,” said Netto quickly.
 
“Yeup!” Rockman agreed.
 
“Oh, is that so,” said Delilah slyly. “Well, I'm sure Japan appreciates your efforts.”
 
Netto blushed, “Thanks,” he mumbled.
 
Buddy sighed and put his head in Netto's lap. Netto continued to stroke his ears in silence.
 
After about ten minutes Delilah stood up. “Well, I think Buddy and I better get going. It was nice seeing you again Netto-chan,” she held out her hand.
 
Netto took it and smiled, “Thanks. Nice seeing you again too.”
 
Buddy whined and pulled on Netto's sleeve. Delilah laughed, “I guess someone isn't ready to day good bye quite yet.”
 
Netto laughed, “Its okay.”
 
“Say, I have an idea. Are you doing anything this afternoon?” she asked.
 
Netto shook his head.
 
“Do you want to come over my house for something to drink? I made some cookies this morning and I really don't have anyone to share them with. I think eating all that might be bad for my body,” she laughed.
 
/Well, do you think it's okay?/ Netto asked Rockman.
 
/I don't see the harm,/ Rockman answered.
 
“Sure!” said Netto. “That sounds like fun.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto followed Delilah to her house. It was a nice walk and in the warm, spring weather Netto felt a piece for the first time since he saw his parents. “My house isn't too nice, but it does its job,” Delilah said.
 
Rockman said, “I'm sure your house is very nice.|
 
“Oh, that's sweet. It's amazing how nice you are,” Delilah said.
 
“You mean, human like?” Rockman asked.
 
“I sorry, I never intended to…” Delilah trailed off.
 
Rockman realized his mistake, “Oh, no, I mean that as a joke,” Rockman said. “Are there many navis in America?”
 
“Not the job I work in. However, I know that navis are popular in other places,” Delilah made a face.
 
“What's wrong?” asked Netto.
 
“It's so weird talking about navis as if they're toys. I mean they, Rockman is a sentient being,” she said.
 
Rockman laughed, “Its okay, I'm used to it. You'd be amazed at how many people actually don't care.”
 
Delilah shook her head. “That's sad,” she said and Buddy whined his agreement.
 
Netto and Rockman laughed “Don't worry about it,” Rockman said.
 
They walked down a cherry tree filled lane and Delilah pointed to a small one floor house painted an off white with green shutters. “I live here,” she said.
 
“Wow, its cool,” Netto said.
 
“You can come in you know. I assure you it's nicer inside,” Delilah said, motioning to the door.
 
Rockman laughed and Netto followed Delilah into her house. It was small on the inside too, with two bedrooms, a bathroom, a living room and a small kitchen and dining room combination. “Are you thirsty?” she asked.
 
Netto nodded, “Do you have milk?” he asked.
 
Rockman laughed quietly so only Netto could hear. /Shut up,/ Netto said.
 
/Sorry, it's just funny,/ Rockman replied.
 
/No it's not,/ Netto said grumpily.
 
“Here,” Delilah handed him a glass, snapping then out of their argument.
 
Netto looked up, a little startled. “Oh, thank you,” he said.
 
“What were you thinking about?” she asked.
 
Netto blushed, “Not much, why?”
 
“Because, you had a very intent look on your face,” she said.
 
Netto took a sip of the milk, “Oh, heh, nope I wasn't thinking about anything!” he said brightly.
 
Delilah gave him a strange look.
 
/Careful Netto-kun, she's smarter then she looks. You're making her suspicious,/ Rockman warned.
 
/I know, she's making me a little nervous,/ Netto answered back.
 
“So, Netto-kun, how long have you been on your current mission?” Delilah asked.
 
“Huh, what?” Netto asked.
 
“You said you were on a mission, remember?” she reminded him.
 
“Oh, yeah that!” he laughed nervously. “Well, actually for a few months.”
 
Delilah nodded, “Ah, that explains why you looked so sad when we saw you,” she said, sitting on the couch.
 
“I looked sad?” Netto asked.
 
Delilah motioned next to her and Netto took a seat. “Yes, Buddy could tell, he just went straight for you as soon as we got in the park,” she said.
 
“Well, I'm not really sad. I mean I miss my friends but I don't mind missing school,” he said brightly.
 
Delilah laughed, “No, I'm sure you don't. What kid would? But if you're not sad, then why did Buddy come to you like that, I wonder?” she put her finger to her lips in an over exaggerated guessing gesture.
 
“What do you mean, Delilah-san?” asked Rockman.
 
“Well, Buddy normally doesn't like other people. In fact, he makes it a point to avoid other people when we go to the park. That's why I go during the weekdays when I'm not at work or on my break. You see, it takes Buddy months to warm up to people, and yet he just came right to you two. So I wonder what sparked his mood change?” she asked, glancing at Netto.
 
Netto blushed and sipped his milk, “I wonder,” he said nervously.
 
“Because, you know the only animals on this planet Buddy likes are cats. He's even afraid of other dogs, isn't that funny?” Delilah continued on.
 
Netto shifted and nodded, busying himself with the milk that was in his hands.
 
Delilah was done beating around the bush. “You know Netto-kun, when I first saw you being chased by Buddy, I could have sworn you ran on all fours.”
 
Netto chocked on his milk and started to cough. Delilah patted him on the back trying to help him breathe. “Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you,” she murmured.
 
Netto took in a few big gulps of air for good measure, “No, no it's okay.”
 
“Who are you, Delilah-san,” Rockman asked.
 
“Everything I said I was,” she winked.
 
“That's cryptic,” Rockman said dryly.
 
“I'm sorry boys, I know this is startling for you, but when I said I was an undercover agent, I wasn't lying. But when I also said I was a school teacher, I wasn't lying. You see, I'm here trying to capture the Neko Virus and I learned from a good source that there was one case of the virus getting out,” she said.
 
“What do you mean?” Netto asked.
 
“Well, I mean I found out that there is one case of the virus that can be detected on computer sensors,” she explained.
 
Netto turned white and Rockman started to panic.
 
“Hear me out before you do anything, I have no intention of harming you,” she said. Buddy trotted over and jumped on the couch. He lied down and set his head in Netto's lap, whining. “See,” she pointed to Buddy.
 
Netto started to pet him with trembling fingers, he wouldn't say it but he was suddenly very afraid. He nodded his consent and Rockman calmed down a little.
 
Delilah smiled, “Thanks. Okay, when I heard this I said `How can this be? All of the navi's are vaccinated against the Neko Virus. There shouldn't be any case.' My informant said, `No navi cases, but we do know of one human case.' I asked him how such a thing could be…” Netto opened his mouth but Delilah held up her hands. “He couldn't tell me. And I won't ask, I promise. However we've been watching out for the one who was infected. Imagine my surprise when I found you in the park,” she smiled.
 
“So, that's why you're here?” Rockman asked.
 
“Yes, and I know that you two must be having an extremely difficult time, I know. But since you are the only case then it's only natural the Neko Virus would be around here somewhere,” she said.
 
“Why?” asked Netto.
 
“Because, if it can't infect anything else, then why would it go anywhere else? Which brings me to the point, have either of you seen anything?” she asked.
 
Netto and Rockman shook their heads. “No, there have been no traces anywhere for months.”
 
Delilah smiled sadly, “I thought that might be the case.”
 
Rockman remembered what their papa had told them before, “We do know something, though.”
 
“Yes?” she asked.
 
“Papa said it wasn't on a public site,” Rockman explained.
 
Delilah's eyes flashed, “It was stolen,” she hissed.
 
“We think so,” Rockman said.
 
Delilah sighed, “Oh, boys I'm so sorry for bringing you into this. I didn't mean to scare you like that.”
 
Netto laughed, “What do you mean? We would cross paths eventually anyways. Glad to know you're an ally,” he said.
 
Delilah smiled and petted Buddy. “Yes, that is a small comfort. Well Netto-chan, at least I know someone I can come to if I need help.”
 
Netto nodded, “Always.”
 
Delilah gave him another look, “So, if you really are infected, then how come you don't look any different?” she asked.
 
Netto blushed, “Actually I do, I just know how to hide it,” he laughed nervously.
 
“What do you mean?” Delilah asked.
 
Netto took off his hood and baseball cap. Delilah's eyes widened and Buddy barked and jumped on Netto trying to lick his now exposed ears. As Netto was knocked over his tail came from the inside pocket of his hoodie and he vainly tried to push the large St. Bernard off.
 
“In all my years,” Delilah breathed in English.
 
Rockman laughed, “You've taken it better then some.”
 
“Buddy,” Netto pushed at the large dog. “Get off.”
 
Delilah pulled Buddy off and shook her head disbelievingly. “Well, I must say that was unexpected.”
 
Netto blushed, “Well, it's Rockman's fault anyway.”
 
“Hey!” Rockman said.
 
Delilah laughed as Netto pulled on his cap but she didn't ask what they meant. That would come later, “So, will we keep in touch?” she asked.
 
Netto nodded, “Definitely, if we learn anything we'll come to you.”
 
“And I'll tell you if something happens,” she said. “But don't get into trouble without me,” she joked.
 
Rockman scoffed, “Like that would ever happen.”